PDA

View Full Version : Kicking/Punting question

CrazyHorse
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Dumb question but why do teams have the need for both a Kicker and Punter? I know punting and kicking both require different motions. Is it just that rare for someone to be able for someone to do both at an NFL level. Rather than having 1 kicker and 1 punter wouldn't you be better off having 2 on the roster that are equally capable of doing both. Apparently the CFL operates with only 1 player for both duties. I don't see why the NFL can't either. This has always kind of bugged me.

shank
09-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Dumb question but why do teams have the need for both a Kicker and Punter? I know punting and kicking both require different motions. Is it just that rare for someone to be able for someone to do both at an NFL level. Rather than having 1 kicker and 1 punter wouldn't you be better off having 2 on the roster that are equally capable of doing both. Apparently the CFL operates with only 1 player for both duties. I don't see why the NFL can't either. This has always kind of bugged me.

because both duties are so highly specialized that only the best in the world are capable of performing them adequately.

honestly, i agree with you. a good field-goal kicker a neccesity. i don't see why that same person can't punt as well.

the only answer i can think is that there are guys who only punt, and then get jobs in the NFL as punters, and then those guys still manage to suck somehow. so maybe it's harder than we're giving them credit for...

i've also always wondered how there can possibly be players in the NBA who shoot under 80% for free throws. it's your damned full-time job, how can you not shoot a damned free throw or kick a ball?

missingnumber7
10-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I handled all three duties in college...and they are different approaches to all three. Not that it cannot be handled by the same guy, but I believe that if you asked some sports medicine guy or someone that knows more about muscular makeup, it is different muscles to punt than to kick, although it is alot of hip flexor. The other thing is that it is a different technique to punt than to kick. Even KO's are different than FG's which is why sometimes you will see Punters KO instead of the FG guy. But all and all in the end I was an average punter and crappy kicker so that is just my 2 cents.