PDA

View Full Version : Montrose's Camp Report 7/26

Italianmobstr7
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I'll keep this short as the previously posted reports were far more detailed than mine. Genius here got sunscreen in his eyes and spent the whole time trying to wash it out with a water bottle. I did manage to take some notes and pictures. Also, after I moved to the left side of the field near the end of practice; I think I may have been in front of the OM crew as I heard some JMFW calls and a “Welcome the NFL rookie” call directed at Hillis that only an OM crew member could give. To the OM crew there today, didn't it seem like a very small crowd for the first Saturday practice of the year? Anyway, here were the units I noticed:

1st Offense
QB Cutler
HB Young
FB Sapp
WR Marshall
WR D.Jackson
TE Graham
LT Clady
LG Hamilton
C Nalen
RG Kuper
RT Harris

1st Defense
DE Dumervil
DE Engelberger
DT Peterson
DT Robertson
WLB D.Williams
MLB Koutouvides
SLB B.Bailey
CB C.Bailey
CB Bly
FS Lynch
SS Abdullah

Nickel Defense
DE Dumervil
DT Ekuban
DT Robertson
DE Moss
WLB Williams
SLB B. Bailey
CB C. Bailey
CB Bly
CB Foxworth
FS McCree
SS Abdullah

QB's: Cutler looked very sharp, he appears to have all of his arm strength back although he still stares guys down - especially Marshall. Ramsey was god awful, throwing balls in the ground overthrowing guys and throwing a bad pick to Foxworth that resulted in about 35 guys running after him. I was impressed with Hackney although I know dude has no chance of being #2.

RB's: Young looked far and away the best to me, he looks like he's bulked up a bit. He's good good vision and would've scored a TD on the final drive if it were live. Torain was up and down, he had a fumble and a drop or two but also showed good balance and looks like the most natural one-cut runner we have. I'm not too big on Pittman who they used in the red zone with the 1st team offense. He dropped two passes I saw and just doesn't seem to be as talented as Torain. Hall didn't get a ton of reps that I saw but his skills aren't the best for inside-run drills; I believe Hall will be out #2 however. I still like Young, Hall and Torain as our HB's – in that order for now. At FB, I really like Hillis not only coming out of the backfield but he makes good contact as a blocker as well. I'd really prefer for Hillis to start at FB with Sapp moving back to his old role as the utility back. All-in-all I feel pretty good about the position.

WR's: Marshall looked like Marshall for the most part but definitely seemed gassed and dropped some passes, one of which he slammed down his helmet and yelled a four letter word beginning with F. I heard someone (possibly an OM guy) say "The Claw..." after he dropped one which gave me a laugh followed by a bit of panic. Brandon definitely looked out of shape but I'm more concerned he's going to battle the dropsies all year. He started practice with a long-sleeved shirt on, then has short sleeves with nothing protecting his forearm and later had something protecting it – perhaps the pain is more than he thought. He snatched a ball away from Bly in the end zone for an awesome TD and left Christian Morton looking silly at one point. I think it's going to be touch and go with him - assuming he's not suspended. Darrell Jackson looks to be the clear #2 in my eyes, he runs good routes, didn't drop a pass and seems like a nice fit in the offense. Colbert didn't do much to impress me - nor did any of the other scrub WR's. We're going to love Eddie Royal! The guy is so exciting you just can't wait for him to get out there because of his speed and tenacity to go after passes - one of which landed him in the crowd. I'd be surprised if Shanahan didn't find ways to get Eddie the ball early and often. Stokley was, well Stokley - he looked fine.

TE's: Graham looked fine blocking, I didn't notice him taking too many pass patterns. One interesting note is that Nate Jackson was working with the 1st team while Scheffler was with the 2's and 3's. I think the coaches like being able to split out Nate in the running game as I didn't notice any passes coming his way. With that, Scheffler had a very good day with the exception of one deep pass when he split Lynch and Champ and just had the pass go off his hands. It would've been a great catch - but one Tony is capable of making. He had other stellar catches throughout the day and if he stays healthy - I think he'll have a big season.

OL: Ryan Clady, Ryan Clady, Ryan Clady! God he's huge and as a former OL I've got mad respect for his feet. Clady owned pretty much anyone they put up against him and I've got full confidence that as a rookie - he's an upgrade over Post-ACL-Tear Matt Lepsis. Ryan Harris struggled, Engelgberger and Moss made him look silly once or twice. The interior OL looked okay although Hamilton had a lot of trouble with Robertson and Thomas. If Holland can come back, we may actually have some depth. I didn't get a great look at the OL and DL as they were on the opposite field most of practice.

DL: Call me crazy, but I think Moss is our best all-round DE. He's improved against the run and can beat any OL we've got other than Clady. He's still got some conditioning issues and got a tung-lashing for not pursuing a play. I hate that Dumervil is out there on running downs, he's easily the worst DE we have against the run. Clady owned him, as did Harris and even Pears didn't have too much trouble with him. I didn't notice Crowder too much and Engelberger was Engelberger. Robertson looks to me that he'll be similar to Gerard Warren in '05 if he can stay on the field. I was actually quite impressed with Kenny Peterson who's a good fit in this scheme. Like the OL, I didn't get to see nearly as much as I'd like to because of proximity but from what I saw - we're better but it's still the team's weak point.

LB's: Thank god DJ's back at Will. He's going to be a monster this year. He looked great flying around the field and I wouldn't be surprised if he's among league leaders in TFL's. He put on Hillis the rookie will remember for a while. Niko looked okay to me, I didn't see any huge mistakes but they never put him in coverage and without live tackling - it's hard to tell. I was very impressed with Webster who just seems to bring an infectious intensity to every practice. Nate was blowing up a lot run plays and just seems to energize his unit. I think he realizes he's not the quickest or the biggest but he plays every play very hard and if Niko doesn't work out - I don't look at Webster in the middle as the worst thing in the world. He's a much better MLB than SLB. Speaking of SLB, Boss can move. He fell victim to the freak that is Ryan Clady on a few run plays but all-together looked good. They’re moving him and DJ all over the field to take advantage of their athleticism. I didn't notice Larsen but Beck made some good plays in coverage while Louis Green and Jamie Winborn looked solid on the 2nd unit. I'm probably most excited about this group as I think with DJ, Niko and Boss as the starters and Winborn, Webster and Green the backups - we're much better than last year, deeper and guys are finally playing their natural spots.

CB's: Champ was Champ, I think going back to this scheme we're going to see the old Champ again. He broke up a nice pass near the end of practice and all I saw him give up was a hitch to Marshall and the play Scheffler should've caught deep - although that appeared to a breakdown in coverage between he and Lynch. Bly was on the other side of the field so I didn't see him much, he actually had good coverage on the TD to Marshall - Brandon's just a freak. For the limited amount I saw him, I think Dre will also benefit from the scheme change although he's still going to give up some plays gambling. Foxworth looked really good. He's a very good nickel - always in the right spot, great in coverage - I was very impressed with him. I didn't see much of Paymah, he was on Bly's side, but I got to see a lot of JMFW - and I like what I see. He's very aggressive, almost too much in tackling as Glenn Martinez slipped away when he was trying to lay the wood. He's very raw but he looks to be a nice youngster to have on ST's and an eventual replacement to one of our lost CB's after this year.

S': Lynch doesn't look any slower to me this year although he's being replaced by McCree on passing downs. He's still always in the right spot and I'm glad he's back this year. McCree looked okay, I doubt he'll be playing with Lynch though as he's just not good enough in coverage. Abdullah impressed me a great deal, he's got tremendous range and was giving QB's fits all day with his ability. McCree did nothing for me, I saw Scheffler beat him a few times, and Torain trucked him bad. Barrett looked good for a raw rookie, he lined up incorrectly a few times but overall he looks like a decent project and even had a pick.

K: Prater made all but one FG and that was really close. He's got a big leg, but we'll see when the pressure's on. I saw no punting although I believe Kern was the 1st team holder which may say something.

Not a bad day at camp, the defense is definitly ahead at this point. It's clear we don't have a ton of talent but the team seems much tighter than last year and I feel good moving forward. I won't be able to make this afternoon's ST practice but plan on attending both practices tomorrow. I'll keep the sunblock out of my eyes and hope for a better report tomorrow. I’ll try to post some pics in a bit after I go through and upload the best.

turftoad
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Great report, thanks buddy.

claymore
07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Fret report Mob......... Thanks Bro.

WARHORSE
07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Great job Montrose. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

slim
07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
So is the Montrose's report or mobster? I am confused.

Either way, thanks for posting it. Good stuff.

Italianmobstr7
07-26-2008, 07:23 PM
So is the Montrose's report or mobster? I am confused.

Either way, thanks for posting it. Good stuff.

It's Montrose's report, I just posted it over here.

atwater27
07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
We are totally spoiled with all these awesome camp reports.....