PDA

View Full Version : Apa's Camp Report

Northman
07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Due to the fact that Apa was heading out to a BBQ he gave me the ok to throw this up here for your leisure.

First of all Kaylor will be coming with a report pretty soon I imagine as well as 24 Champ and Oskie. We all sat together and pointed stuff out to eachother.

Here is my take:

Offense:

QB's

Cutler
Well all know the #1 slot is sealed and in good hands. Cutler looks really good. He has gained the weight back and not with very much fat. Remember the double chin from last year. Didn't notice that at all. His passes are amazing to watch.

He has great chemistry with Marshall and Sheffler as is expected. He and Eddie Royal are not on the same page at all. Many times they got crossed up on reads. I am sure time will settle that.

Ramsey
Not a good day but not a horrible day either. He made some bad passes and his accuracy leaves much to be desired. But he also made a few nice throws especially on Fade routes. He threw a horrible and I mean horrible INT to Foxworth. Just a bad decision, period. But it also brought the comedic moment of the day. The whole Offense took part in tackling Foxworth, I mean 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It was hilarious.

Hackney
He had a great session this morning. A few of us all sitting together were really amazed at how well of a pass he throws. He made good decisions and made great passes. The joke all morning long was we might have a QB controversy with Hackney being the new #1. But in all honesty out of him and Ramsey he was by far the better today.

Running Backs

Selvin Young
He was the RB of the morning session. He made amazing reads and cuts and one play in the Red Zone he would have scored had it been game speed. He has really put on good weight and looks really strong. He was also great in Pass Protection which I am sure Kaylor will get into more detail about as he pointed it out a lot.

Michael Pittman
He was average. I didn't key in on him very much but nothing glared bad or good.

Torain
He is a rookie and it shows. He missed the cut a few times and you could tell he was a little lost at times. He has some growing to do but again its the second day of camp.

FB's

Hillis
Man this guy does not look like a rookie. He is fast and has great hands. But he also plows the field. He made a block that echoed through camp today and garnered cheers from the squad and fans. I can see why he was getting good reports yesterday.

OLine

Nalen
He is Nalen and truthfully I didn't watch him much I was watching the others.

Hamilton
I hope its just rust. But he was not very good today. He was getting eaten up by DLineman this morning. Hope that it was just a bad practice. Kaylor will have more on this he was taking extensive notes.

Harris
He also had a bad practice. John Engleberger pretty much made him his personal b**** all morning. He did have a few good blocks but I would day it was a very subpar session for him.

Kuper
He was out there in a soft cast so I think the break must not be as bad as it could be. I was more keyed in on Harris, Clady, and Hamilton so not much to report.

Clady
Wow that guy is ginormous. I mean huge but he has quick feet. Reports yesterday was he was getting used by Dumervil but today he was really good containing him. He made rookie moves too but it was a decent session for him. I can't stress enough how big that guy is.

TE

Tony Scheffler
I love this guy. He has amazing hands and when he runs it looks effortless. Oskie equated it to Eric Dickerson style. Everytime he got hit I said please get up. But he had a good session. He dropped one pass that would have been a huge play in a game and a drive killer. He takes it personal when he drops passes. He also had good blocks in run plays.

Dan Graham
He is Clady's training wheel and any person who knows football can see why they paid what they did for him. He will be an asset to Clady until he gets up to speed.

WR

Marshall
Started practice without the protective sleeve over the suspect hand. He was much better today then as reported yesterday. He did not take very many knees after plays if any. He had an amazing play. Cutler threw a rocket in the endzone and Bly thought he had an easy pick. Marshall without committing P.I. caught the ball with his finger tips by going over Bly's head and catching it in front of him. It was amazing. His routes were nice as well as he got Champ switched up a few times.

Interesting bit to take notice of is that halfway through the session he had the protective sleeve back on. He proceeded to drop passes again. He dropped a pass that was clearly caused by either his sleeve or his hand still being injured a bit. Then the sleeve went off and he was back to catching everything again. So thats something to note.

Royal
Wow, that guy is fast. He has some learning to do and needs to get on the same page as Cutler. Cutler clearly overthrew a ball and Royal nearly ran it down. He needs some work though.

Darrell Jackson
I would say he should be our #2 WR right now if I had to base it off todays practice only. He made some great catches along the sidelines and had to stay in bounds. Solid practice today.

Glen Martinez
He really has done well these last two days. He was catching everything being thrown at him. Not much bad to say at all.

The other WR's I didn't get good enough looks at.

Thats my report. Again I am not nearly on the level of Kaylor but I know he has a ton of notes for his report.

Arkansas Bronco
07-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Apa, 24 and Kaylore have done the bronco world proud. Great job guys.

Tned
07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Apa, 24 and Kaylore have done the bronco world proud. Great job guys.

Agreed. Great job to all three. Us news starved fans are eating these reports up. Any of them going to be able to make the camp during the week or just hte weekend?

Northman
07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Here is Apa's Defense report:

I totally forgot to report on Cutler staring down his WR. I didn't take notes so this was all from memory. A guy sitting with us said he can stare down WR's all he wants when its usually Marshall. Kaylor quickly pointed out that this is not a habit we want our QB to have.

On Defense

I didn't watch as much Defense as Offense but I did take some mental notes. The day started with the LBs in front of us. So I will break down what I saw.

Niko Koutiv

He had a quiet day today. I really never observed him doing anything.

DJ Williams
I think the move back to Will was the best move for all concerned. Its really his natural position and it shows. He had a play where he flowed to the ball and then put a wicked hit on Hillis. Kudos to Hillis because he saw him and rather than shy away he initated contact. DJ won that battle though. Best hit of the morning.

Boss Bailey
Let me say he is not what I expected. He is one of the tallest LB's I have ever seen. He wears 97 so its really hard to not associate him with a DL player. Unfortunately thats all I noticed.

Nate Webster
Didn't observe anything of note along with the rest of the LB's.

One thing I wanted to point out was that they were really working on gap assignments today. They were playing run D and working on getting to the gap and flushing out the RB. Which is good because gap assignments sucked last year. They also worked on getting position and sealing off the TE.

Defensive Line

Moss

Man he does not look like a DE. But he was playing like one today. What was really interesting was his ability on running plays. He really disrupted some plays today.

Marcus Thomas

He has really put on some muscle. He is improving as well. He is getting better pressure, at least in this mornings session.

Robertson

When he was in our area it was hard to see because of the stupid down markers. Reading the Broncos blog he blew up a screen and batted a pass. I saw the batted pass and thought it was a great play because whomever it was they blew up the OLine and had great penetration.

Sorry I didn't really get a look at others. Kaylor was watching them more as I was focusing on other parts.

Special Teams
While he may not be the next Elam yet he sure proves why the team is just going with him. He was 5 of 6 on FG's and a few of them would have been good from 60+. Very fluid in his kick. Gets good leg action and follows through. Fatsis would be proud!

Alright boys and girls thats my thoughts. I know they sound a bit positive more than negative but all in all it was a decent session for the team.

ApaOps5
07-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I won't be out there again until next Saturday. But I will make sure to post over here just as fast I can on the Mane. I was in a huge hurry this afternoon.

WARHORSE
07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks ApaO..............youre a kind soul for casting bread to the vagrants like myself here. :salute:

You sure know how to make a dude feel rich.:cool:

Den21vsBal19
07-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I won't be out there again until next Saturday. But I will make sure to post over here just as fast I can on the Mane. I was in a huge hurry this afternoon.
Thaqnk you for taking the time to do these reports :salute:

yardog
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks ApaO.

slim
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks man. I love reading this stuff keep up the good work :salute:

Dreadnought
07-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Very much appreciate the effort Apa - good stuff here.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Peyton Hillis is a damn good football player, it looks like he's the one with 1st round ability to me.

Torain is healthy, his foot does not appear to be an issue if you ask me, and yet it looks like Hillis will be the one making an impact.

Admittedly, I was one who preferred Schmitt over Hillis for his blocking ability, at this point it's obvious that Shanahan got a hell of a football player.

Granted, this is preseason, the time of the year that made Patrick Chukwurah look like Dwight Freeney, but Hillis looks impressive.

I've been a critic of Domonique Foxworth, so in fairness, he had a hell of a day on Friday. The Broncos need to leave him alone, leave him at CB, he's just not a safety.

It's not just that Clady is huge, he is, it's just that he's so much bigger than the guys he lines up next to that makes him appear even more imposing. He makes Hamilton look like a LB, and it looked to me like he held his own against Dumervil considering his inexperience. The few times I paid attention, Dumervil 's built in advantage in leverage did nothing for him.

Torain runs too high and dropped passes but he made a few good moves, he is still nothing special.

Young looks like he runs more aggressive now and is noticeably bigger, I wonder if Shanahan's "Not an every down back" comment and the ridiculous Torain Hype is more Shanahan Mike-Bell-Promoted-to-First-String type motivation.

Martinez looked better than both Jackson and Colbert......that's not meant as a compliment to Martinez. There is a lot of warm bodies at WR but Marshall and Stokley appear to be the only sure things.

Koutouvides was invisible, the problem with that is Webster isn't any better.

Ryan Harris has a long way to go, Ekuban can barely walk, Ramsey was better than Hackney, Paulescu looked good but bobbled a snap, Jaime Winborn is ssslllooowww, Aldridge is not but he is small, Nasty Nate will again make the final 53, leadership will most likely continue to be a problem, McDonalds Apple Dippers are BadAss, Worrell Williams is only Half-brothers with DJ (Same dad) and DJ's mom, btw, is a MILF......