PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Kenny McKinley found dead of apparent suicide

Tned
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
RT @KDVR: Broncos Kenny McKinley found dead of an apparent suicide http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-broncos-mckinley-death-txt,0,3972716.story

BroncoBJ
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Thats horrible :( I really liked Kenny when we drafted him in the 5th and thought he would be a legit WR for us actually. Liked him at SC. Was sad when his season ended this year, but this really puts everything in to perspective. So crazy.

RIP Kenny.

BroncoWave
09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
WTF? Just terrible news. RIP Kenny.

Buff
09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow, someone was just asking Lindsay Jones about him today and she said she hadn't seen him around.

OrangeHoof
That's horrible. It will interesting to see what comes out from investigating this. 23-year-old athletes don't normally choose to kill themselves.

BroncoBJ
Wow, someone was just asking Lindsay Jones about him today and she said she hadn't seen him around.

I saw that too. I typed his name in to the search bar on twitter and saw that guys post like 2 hours ago. Hella strange.

frauschieze
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
What a waste. I have a hard time accepting suicide because of the enormity of the selfishness involved. It's hard not to judge.

Condolences to his friends and family.

claymore
09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Such a waste.

broncophan
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
damn......how sad......

I Eat Staples
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
R.I.P Kenny, and I wish his family and friends the best. A promising young life that will surely be missed by many. It's really sad to see young people's lives cut short when they have such promising futures in front of them. And it's even sadder when they end that promising life themselves. I'm sure he had people close to him that could have helped him. It's a shame.

Buff
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Wow...I never cared much for his abilities on the field, but a loss in the sport and especially a Bronco is tragic.

R.I.P Kenny, and I wish his family and friends the best. A promising young life that will surely be missed by many. It's really sad to see young people's lives cut short when they have such promising futures in front of them. And it's even sadder when they end that promising life themselves. I'm sure he had people close to him that could have helped him. It's a shame.

When someone dies, no one cares about what you thought of their abilities on the field.

Northman
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow, terrible news.

Life must of been pretty bad for him to resort to this. I feel for him and hope he is in a better place.

Shazam!
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Broncos dropping like flies the last 4 years sucks. RIP.

Wow...I never cared much for his abilities on the field...

Sigh...

BroncoWave
09-20-2010, 08:19 PM
On the SEC board I post on all of the South Carolina fans are saying he was the nicest happiest guy they ever met on campus and that he is the last person they'd ever expect this from. This is just bizarre.

I Eat Staples
When someone dies, no one cares about what you thought of their abilities on the field.

That was the point...

Tned
RT @PostBroncos: The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office has confirmed to The Denver Post that Kenny McKinley has died.

Buff
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
That was the point...

So one could argue that there's no need to even say it.

broncophan
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
On the SEC board I post on all of the South Carolina fans are saying he was the nicest happiest guy they ever met on campus and that he is the last person they'd ever expect this from. This is just bizarre.

why is it we hear stories like this alot??.....nobody expects it etc???
I do not know the whole story here.....but depression sucks.....

threefolddead
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Man thats sad. Thoughts go out to everyone close to him because suicide is a tough thing to deal with.

SCBronco
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Man I just saw him at the USC/Georgia game last week. This just sucks. Too bad he never got to show the Bronco fans what the USC fans got to see for 4 years. Prayers go out to his family.

I Eat Staples
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
So one could argue that there's no need to even say it.

I'm not going to turn this thread into an argument. Sorry if I offended you, but read the whole post maybe.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
This is terrible - thoughts and prayers for his family.

From Lindsay Jones:

# The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office has confirmed to The Denver Post that Kenny McKinley has died. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

# Heard that McKinley had been in Atlanta recently visiting his family and returned to Denver on Sunday 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# I was just looking at his locker today and was wondering how he was doing. Noticed a lot of pictures of him with his young son. 8 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# But players have heard that it is true. Lots of shock and disbelief right now ... 8 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Dzone
09-20-2010, 08:28 PM
is there a news report anywhere on this?
23 is sucha kid...

frauschieze
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh crap. He had a kid?

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
nfl
Broncos WR Kenny McKinley found dead in Arapahoe County
By Joey Bunch
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/20/2010 07:14:54 PM MDTUpdated: 09/20/2010 07:23:28 PM MDT

Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley injured his left knee last season against Philadelphia on Dec. 27. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley was found dead Monday in Arapahoe County of an apparent suicide.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson confirmed McKinley's death, and said he was waiting on a field report from investigators before releasing more information this evening. He would not elaborate on how McKinley died.

"It was apparently a suicide, but we're still investigating," he said.

Authorities were called to McKinley's home in central Centennial at about 4 p.m. this afternoon.

The second-year pro entered this season on the team's injured reserve list. He played in eight games as a rookie in 2009, mostly on special teams, with seven kick returns for 158 yards.

More details coming soon at denverpost.com/broncos

Kenny McKinley bio

Dimensions: 6-foot, 183 pounds

College: South Carolina

Drafted: Fifth round by Denver (141st overall) in the 2009 draft

NFL highlights:

Second-year wide receiver who played eight games with the Broncos as a rookie in 2009

Returned seven kickoffs for 158 yards (22.6 avg.) along with three punts for 32 yards (10.7 avg.) — the only rookie in the NFL to average at least 22 yards on kickoff returns and 10 yards on punt returns in 2009

College highlights:

Started his final three seasons at the University of South Carolina

Earned first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors as a junior in 2007 and honorable mention all-conference accolades as a senior in 2008

Finished his career at South Carolina with 207 receptions and 2,781 receiving yards

Read more: Broncos WR Kenny McKinley found dead in Arapahoe County - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16127852#ixzz107hLk9yP

NightTrainLayne
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Unbelievably sad. My prayers go out to his family. This is really terrible news.

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh crap. He had a kid?

no, he was a kid I think is what the post meant if you're referring to that. sad news.

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 08:31 PM
this ****** BLOWS ! i can't believe it and to find out the guy has a young son ? man i just dont understand how he could get so down with all he had going for him.
terrible terrible news.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
More Lindsay:

McKinley attended the USC-Georgia game in Athens on Saturday. I have been told he returned to Denver with his young son on Sunday. less than 10 seconds ago via TweetDeck

Lonestar
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Oh crap. He had a kid?

# I was just looking at his locker today and was wondering how he was doing. Noticed a lot of pictures of him with his young son. 8 minutes ago via TweetDeck

sounds like it

girler
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Very sad news. Best wishes to his family and friends. RIP :salute:

rcsodak
09-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm not going to turn this thread into an argument. Sorry if I offended you, but read the whole post maybe.
A simple RIP would have sufficed.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

frauschieze
09-20-2010, 08:34 PM
no, he was a kid I think is what the post meant if you're referring to that. sad news.

Um no. Apparently, he's got a kid.

How ANYONE could off themselves and leave behind a child is beyond me. How much trauma will his son go through, wondering what he could have done so that dad didn't kill himself. I can't imagine being that selfish no matter what the circumstances were.

Dreadnought
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Simply awful. Something ike this will send ripples of misery that may reach and affect people for decades. My prayers will most especially be with his child.

girler
09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
To people who have never been that depressed, it does seem selfish. Yet those who are suicidal are pretty sure the world will do better without them.

Depression is a mental illness.

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 08:38 PM

How ANYONE could off themselves and leave behind a child is beyond me. How much trauma will his son go through, wondering what he could have done so that dad didn't kill himself. I can't imagine being that selfish no matter what the circumstances were.

I can follow. I knew it was possible I didn't have all the facts at hand.

GEM
09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Wow. Sad news. I have to agree with Frau though. That's such a selfish thing to do, especially if you have a kid. That kid will be traumatized now.

I hope in death he finds the peace he didn't find in life.

Many prayers to the future of his kiddo and his family.

BroncoBJ
09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Do we know what happened yet? Drug overdose? Gunshot? or what? I havn't heard anything.

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
To people who have never been that depressed, it does seem selfish. Yet those who are suicidal are pretty sure the world will do better without them.

and the illness does'nt care how rich , successful or famous you are !:salute:
this just sucks

BroncoBJ
I always hate when people say stuff like " Well he sucked" and stuff like that. Not talking about anyone in this thread. But I remember when D-will died. I was hella upset and some people said that shit to me.

Some people think that players are robots and all they do is play football. And have no friends, family, or life. Really is wack.

Denver Native (Carol)
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kenny-McKinley-1987-2010/5b20aaa0-9cc2-4e2c-9707-038f9b92f746

The Broncos are deeply saddened after being informed of the death of Kenny McKinley. He was 23 years old.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos are deeply saddened after being informed of the death of Kenny McKinley.

"Everyone with the Broncos is shocked and saddened by the loss of Kenny McKinley," President and CEO Pat Bowlen said. "He was part of the Broncos family and will be greatly missed by our organization. My most heartfelt condolences go out to Kenny's family and friends."

McKinley, a fifth-round draft pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, played in eight games with the Broncos as a rookie. He returned seven kickoffs for 158 yards along with three punts for 32 yards. He was the only rookie in the league that season to average at least 22 yards on kickoff returns and 10 yards on punt returns.

He was placed on injured reserve prior to the start of the 2010 season after suffering a knee injury.

"Kenny had a promising future on the football field, but more importantly, he was a great teammate whose smile and personality could light up the room," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "This is a tragic loss for our football team, and his family is in all of our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

McKinley starred at the University of South Carolina, finishing his career with 207 receptions and 2,781 receiving yards, both of which were school records and ranked third and 11th all-time, respectively, in SEC history. South Carolina Head Coach Steve Spurrier once called McKinley the best receiver he has ever coached.

The Georgia native earned all-county honors as a junior and senior quarterback at South Cobb High School before joining the Gamecocks.

The organization is still collecting information on the receiver's passing. McDaniels is scheduled to meet the press at approximately noon MDT Tuesday.

McKinley was born on January 31, 1987. He was 23 years old.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM

As the saying goes - "until you walk in someone's shoes"

honz
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM

I'm gonna say people aren't thinking clearly enough to actually be selfish in killing themselves. I know what you are saying, but I think it's unfair to say.

GEM
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna say people aren't thinking clearly enough to actually be selfish in killing themselves. I know what you are saying, but I think it's unfair to say.

Just as it's unfair to do that to a small child. I dunno...I know I couldn't do it, because of my kids. Kind of tells ya how messed up his head must of been then.

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
As the saying goes - "until you walk in someone's shoes"

yeah. I think there's something to be said for being a "victim" of suicide. must be complete hopelessness. Granted, the kid factor brings the selfishness component into the equation, but no one but McKinley knew whatever hell he was going through. Sad shit all the way around.

broncophan
09-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Frau.....I don't think selfish is the right word here........if this was a suicide...depression is a powerful disease....being selfish has nothing to do with it....

GEM
09-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Man oh man....I get into football for the fun of it, then to deal with DWill and Nash and McKinley, this organization has gone through a tough 5 years.

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 08:57 PM
let's try not to turn this into an opinion piece....show a little respect people:salute:

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 08:59 PM
let's try not to turn this into an opinion piece....show a little respect people:salute:

well said. I know this pisses some people off, but jeesh.

Nomad
09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
:( My condolences to his family!!

UnderArmour
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't even know what to say about this and I don't even know the guy. I wish his family the best and I hope his family, friends, and the organization can move forward. The Broncos organization has had it rough with all of these deaths.

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
what time is it thought that this went down? what was the cause of death, anyone know?

GEM
09-20-2010, 09:10 PM
It's weird. We don't know these guys from a guy standing on a corner. But we get just a little bit into their world with the excitement of when they are drafted or come to our team, then we watch with anticipation to see how they perform, we become fans of them. It doesn't just feel like some guy on a football team died. It's a guy I've watched for a couple of seasons and had hope for. To see it end like this, it's just sad and it's not just a wow, sucks dude kind of sad. It's an honest, wow, I feel for the guy and those that loved him. It's a weird thing, being a fanatic. I don't know if that made any sense, I hope so.

Bronco4ever
09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
So tragic. He was only 6 months older than me. Talented guy and it seemed like he was well liked by everyone. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kenny, his family, and especially his young son.

RIP Kenny. You were too young for this.

honz
09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/

BeefStew25
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice little mention, Berman.

Dzone
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess you never know. I mean, maybe there was a custody battle with his ex and he stood to lose the boy...who knows, but still, suicide is NOT the answer...I suppose all the details of his life will come out as this unfolds

I Eat Staples
09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
It's weird. We don't know these guys from a guy standing on a corner. But we get just a little bit into their world with the excitement of when they are drafted or come to our team, then we watch with anticipation to see how they perform, we become fans of them. It doesn't just feel like some guy on a football team died. It's a guy I've watched for a couple of seasons and had hope for. To see it end like this, it's just sad and it's not just a wow, sucks dude kind of sad. It's an honest, wow, I feel for the guy and those that loved him. It's a weird thing, being a fanatic. I don't know if that made any sense, I hope so.

It made sense to me. The saddest I've ever felt from a sports death was Sean Taylor, due to the circumstances and personal things. DWill was also a sad time.

Obviously it's always sad to see a young man's life end, and when you follow a team faithfully it feels like you almost know the players personally.

GEM
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
It made sense to me. The saddest I've ever felt from a sports death was Sean Taylor, due to the circumstances and personal things. DWill was also a sad time.

Obviously it's always sad to see a young man's life end, and when you follow a team faithfully it feels like you almost know the players personally.

It's just sad to see wasted life. Sean Taylor was tragic. That guy really had things going for him, same for DWill, and to see jealousy, something so ugly, bring an end to it. Wow. Nash was just a that's not supposed to happen kind of thing. He was out doing something good for others, and he was constantly monitored by team docs, and that's not supposed to happen, not to someone like that. Then this...it just leaves you wondering, what could have been so bad, so terrible to do something so permanent, something you can never take back. :sigh: So sad.

KCL
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
That is so sad...to be that young with his whole life ahead of him...poor kid...he obviously was struggling.

atwater27
09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
He had a kid. That's un ******* acceptable. How could you Kenny? At this point I could care less about Kenny. I grieve and pray for his little one who he left all alone to fend for himself without a father. ****!

nevcraw
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
wow.. so saddened by this..

Gamechanger
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
i'm sorry to hear this, takes me aback a bit
I hope he finds peace in the afterlife

jhildebrand
09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
May the McKinley family find comfort and solace in their time of need.

Thnikkaman
09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
What a waste. I have a hard time accepting suicide because of the enormity of the selfishness involved. It's hard not to judge.

Condolences to his friends and family.

I wonder if he was having problems with depression. I don't think its ever a sane choice when someone chooses to end their life. I used to think of it as a totally selfish act, but in order to do something like this, you have to have the mindset that things will never get better than they are right now. You have to be in a pretty deep and dark place to actually pull this off.

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 09:30 PM
In movies suicide can be glamorized. Like when that woman in Legends of the Fall killed herself over Brad Pitt. Also, I can't blame the people that jumped out of the Twin Towers, so in some circumstances it is .. circumstantial. But who am I to judge

EMB6903
09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Never thought I'd get upset at comments over a message board but Im SMH at all the "such a waste" posts.

Truly as ignorant as it gets.

camdisco24
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow, shocking news. So young... I cant imagine what he must have been going through to bring himself to do this. The child makes this even more devastating.

RIP Kenny... Your time with he Broncos was way to short. God bless his son, family, and friends.

BigDaddyBronco
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
RIP Kenny. Condolences to your family and prayers that they can get through this loss.

camdisco24
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Never thought I'd get upset at comments over a message board but Im SMH at all the "such a waste" posts.

I agree. There is a time and a place for that, and this thread is certainly not it.
Thats as low as it gets.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
# There will be grief counselors available at Dove Valley for players and staff. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

# Tuesday is normally an offday, but the Broncos will convene at Dove Valley as a group. This is a team that has dealt with tragedy before ... 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

# The Sheriff's Office and Coroner continue to investigate. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# According to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, cause of death appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

BroncoNut
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM

what do you mean? It might be much more, but how is it not a waste? A life was lost.

MileHighCrew
09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Shocking news, I feel for his family

GEM
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
# There will be grief counselors available at Dove Valley for players and staff. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

# Tuesday is normally an offday, but the Broncos will convene at Dove Valley as a group. This is a team that has dealt with tragedy before ... 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

# The Sheriff's Office and Coroner continue to investigate. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# According to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, cause of death appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

It's a sad, sad day when Carol needs to add another of our boys to her signature. :cry:

Tned
09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Those in Denver, Josiana will be on Fox31 shortly to talk about Kenny

RT @JosinaAnderson: I am getting multiple calls delineating the stress McKinley was under before he passed away. I will be on Fox31 in 10 minutes with more.

underrated29
09-20-2010, 09:53 PM
oh no.

I hope pola has not seen this thread.

RIP Kenny.
Edit--

Oh I was thinking kenny peterson.

Wow- our young WR? That is crazy. Man, so sad.

spikerman
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Damn.

Skinny
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
RIP Kenny.

PAINTERDAVE
09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Our perceptions shape the reality we perceive. It does not have to be only one way.
It is sad that a man of such talent, health, and promise would throw away the precious gift of life.

I have had a near death experience. It changed my entire outlook and perspective...
the way I perceive this existance... this gift God has given me.

I know I am a fortunate man... even though I am not wealthy or famous.

I do not base my self worth by comparing myself to others... yet I do have it so much better than so many people.
There are people in this world whose struggles I can not comprehend, who battle daily demons I do not face.

It is incumbant on us all to look inward and find an appreciation for this gift.
The consciousness we all have within us... that self awareness...
it is the manifestation of the Universal Consciousness we call GOD. It is inside each and every one of us.

Do good deeds. Enact random bits of kindness.
Spread happiness and good will. Offer a hand to somone in need.
Offer a part of yourself to someone who seems to need nothing.
Place a high value on honesty. Be a good friend.
Smile more. Love more. Dance more. Be more.

Life is short... death is long.
Grab ahold of the reins and ride it for all it is worth.

One day chicken... next day feathers.

Experiences shape the man, but do not dictate his future.
Strive every day, to be a better man tommorrow than you were today.

RIP Mr. McKinley

You checked out way too soon, bro.

pnbronco
09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
This is just so sad....RIP Kenny, my prayers go out to all your friends and family.

I can't imagine how sad Dove will be tomorrow.

Oh 23 is such a baby....just too, too sad.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Adam_Schefter

1. No NFL team has been hit harder than Denver. Darrent Williams. Damien Nash. Kenny McKinley. RIP.
less than 20 seconds ago via ÜberTwitter

Tned
09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
RT @JosinaAnderson: Sources also telling me McKinley had a "split contract" that allowed his base salary to be reduced if he wasn't on t/ 53-man roster via IR

ursamajor
09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Wow. It is always tragic to see a young life lost. I feel for his family. It is unnatural for a parent to have to bury their child.

KCL
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/A-Tribute-to-Kenny-McKinley/73a5b062-eae0-41aa-840d-dd3240ca93f1

Video tribute...don't know if it's been posted.

sneakers
09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Wtf?

Oh no! this is sad news!

GEM
09-20-2010, 11:35 PM
RT @JosinaAnderson: Sources also telling me McKinley had a "split contract" that allowed his base salary to be reduced if he wasn't on t/ 53-man roster via IR

In Josina's report, she stated that he had been upset about being put on IR and had been having some financial issues.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I just don't even have words.

My condolences to his family and friends.

I'm wearing my Eddie Royal jersey tomorrow, Bronco Nation must stand strong no matter where you may be and support our fallen as well as.

Damn its hard to see this happen.

shank
09-21-2010, 12:34 AM
this is really terrible. he was a promising young player whose injuries were more than skin-deep. really, really sad.

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2010, 02:35 AM
So sad. I loved watching him at South Carolina and was estatic when Denver drafted him. Thoughts and prayers out to his family.

Here's an interesting article that may or may not be linked to McKinley's suicide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/sports/14football.html?_r=1

Jaws
09-21-2010, 02:38 AM
RIP Kenny. You died way too young.

My prayers and condolences to his family.

SoCalImport
09-21-2010, 02:55 AM
I can't really articulate how this makes me feel. I guess it doesn't matter.

What matters is that this kid who had more going for him than most people dream took his own life. Maybe he had some kind of clinical depresion/chemical imbalance. We don't know.
Everybody feels pressure especially when you are responsible for raising and supporting children, but for that very reason it makes no sense whatsoever to go through with something like this.
I know it sounds harsh and my point of view is probably colored by that fact that someone I know took their own life last year, but barring a genuine medical condition that effected his ability to reason, taking his own life strikes me as cowardly and just an absurd decision to make.

I hope it wasn't that simple, becuase everyone that he left behind has to pick up the pieces now. My heart and condolences go out to them.

Timmy!
09-21-2010, 05:36 AM
As somebody who has struggled with depression in the past couple years I can semi relate to how hard things can seem. Obviously Kenny was dealing things only he can understand, and none of us should judge him, despite how we personally perceive his actions and how they hurt those he loved. Some may call what he did selfish and no doubt it will make the life of his friends, family, and young son much harder. All we can hope is he found peace he didn't have in life, and those effected by his death will deal with such a tragic loss the best they can.

RIP Kenny.

Dirk
09-21-2010, 05:45 AM
I heard this on my way to work this morning. I was just blown away and couldn't believe it. It's really sad.

roomemp
09-21-2010, 06:20 AM
I heard this on my way to work this morning. I was just blown away and couldn't believe it. It's really sad.

I heard it on the way to work too. Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family especially his child

Gamecock
09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
New to the board, but I wanted to see how Bronco fans were reacting to this tragic news. I had slowly started becoming a broncos fans recently, especially with McKinley on your team- who was one of, if not my favorite all time Gamecock receiver. I met him once and told him how much I looked forward to watching him play on Sundays- he just smiled the classic "Kenny smile" and was real appreciative of the comment. From all indications, he was one of those rare football players who was humble, hardworking, polite, and happy-go-lucky. When I saw this last night, I just blurted out to my wife "OMG, Kenny McKinley died!" and we were both stunned. It wasnt until several minutes later that I saw it was from an apparent suicide. This kind of news just confuses me like I'm sure it does everyone else.

Thoughts and prayers to all of those left behind by his untimely departure. Also, I hope your organization recovers from multiple deaths over the past few years.

MasterShake
09-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Its easy to sit here and criticize someone for doing this, but harder to understand the reasons behind it. I'll just leave it at that and say that even though I didn't know you, you will be missed. RIP.

BigDaddyBronco
09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
In Josina's report, she stated that he had been upset about being put on IR and had been having some financial issues.
Who knows if this had anything to do with it, but the business end of the NFL for these guys who are on the practice squad or on the "cusp" of making the team is really brutal. If they make it they get a decent chunk of money, but so often they don't or they get injury settlements or whatever. It has to be really stressful.

camdisco24
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Wore my Broncos shirt today and saw a gamecock fan wearing his colors. We both just shook our heads. So sad to see such a young guy end his life so early.

Today Broncos nation and Gamecock nation is ONE.
RIP Kenny....

Day1BroncoFan
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
This is terrible news to wake up to.

Gamecock
09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOWyFi95VU

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Very sad news. My condolences to his friends, family and loved ones.

Rest in peace, Kenny.

nbenallo33
09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
i was saddened to hear this news lastnight during halftime of the NO. SF. game. and learning that it is a suicide blows me away he had alot of potential to just throw it all away, it is hard to have sympathy for a guy who does that but i would like to know the reason behind it all... my thought go out to his family

Reidman
09-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Man, this sucks. Loss of words...

RIP

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Did not have time to read all of the recent posts, but Josina reported last night, and not sure if it was speculation on her part, or if someone told her, that Kenny was suffering depression from being a major star in college, to being on IR with the Broncos, and this could have really hit him when he attended his college game this past weekend.

Also, Josina stated that there was talk of him mismanaging his money.

Nomad
09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Here's something Gamecock and Skinny can appreciate (BTW, Gamecock, Skinny (a longtime member here and from BM) is a big Gamecock fan!!

http://www.postandcourier.com/blogs/gamecocks/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=6076b782-972c-43ee-b7e6-6c16fbce4f12&plckPostId=Blog:6076b782-972c-43ee-b7e6-6c16fbce4f12Post:21d80a66-b128-4706-a662-c4f46134eeea&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

yardog
09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
:tsk:

RIP

foxyladi14
09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
prayers for the family

GEM
09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Did not have time to read all of the recent posts, but Josina reported last night, and not sure if it was speculation on her part, or if someone told her, that Kenny was suffering depression from being a major star in college, to being on IR with the Broncos, and this could have really hit him when he attended his college game this past weekend.

Also, Josina stated that there was talk of him mismanaging his money.

I hate that it is Josina taking the lead on the story....I have such a hard time believing her reporting. She speculates so much, that you just don't know what to believe. :(

jhildebrand
09-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I hate that it is Josina taking the lead on the story....I have such a hard time believing her reporting. She speculates so much, that you just don't know what to believe. :(

Not to mention borderline mis-truths and sensationalism

Ravage!!!
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM

Not to mention borderline mis-truths and sensationalism

Her "Guessing" the reasons for a person's depression is absolutely unprofessional and detrimentally irresponsible, at best. To even speculate that his suicide had anything to do with anything that she suggested is sickening to me.

pnbronco
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
There is no simple answer for any of this. It's just so sad for everyone that loved him, knew him or part of the Bronco nation. RIP Kenny and my prayers are out to all of you that share that this pain with me.

weazel
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for people who commit suicide. It's an extremely selfish act.

BORDERLINE
09-21-2010, 10:56 AM
R.I.P Kenny and my condolences to his family and his son...

Gamecock
09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for people who commit suicide. It's an extremely selfish act.

that is your opinion- and you're entitled to it, but you're speaking from the perspective of someone who is thinking rationally and is not battling psychological illness, i assume.

who is to say kenny did not suffer from the same brain illness that other football players have been suffering from, recently with attention devoted to it based on the pennsylvania football player who committed suicide, and an autopsy found he had a brain disease from having too many shots to the head? You may say "well he didnt have enough shots to the head since he was so young", but says who? Who's to say 5 shots is all it takes for one person, and another it might be 50, or 500?

Also, if it wasnt a football related illness- what if it was just depression- its easy for those who have never suffered through clinical depression to simply say "everyone goes through down times...suck it up, and move on. many people have it worse" and while that is technically true- it does not do justice to the illness of clinical depression. those who suffer from this often believe that the world would be better without them- as misguided and warped a perspective as that is, there's a logical reason for why they believen that, and it is due to their illness. when viewed in that light- their action could even be qualified as selfless, rather than selfish- its just a matter of the person's perspective being completely skewed outside of reality. thats what makes it tragic.

jhildebrand
09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Her "Guessing" the reasons for a person's depression is absolutely unprofessional and detrimentally irresponsible, at best. To even speculate that his suicide had anything to do with anything that she suggested is sickening to me.

And should result in severe consequences should it be shown to be incorrect. Josina has gone on in this manner far too long!

Jaws
09-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Kenny is gone.
Judging him and speculating won't change a thing.
What remains is his family,friends and fans.
They will be asking many questions, they will be angry and hurt.
It is their place and right to do this.
They deserve our sympathy and support and should any of them drop in here I pray that what they read is of some comfort to them and does not add to their burden.

JaxBroncoGirl
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Gods Speed Kenny, may you be at peace. Prayers out to his family, friends and teammates. RIP

bcbronc
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Lots of ignorance displayed in this thread. People should use this tragic event as an opportunity to become informed.

RIP Kenny.

BroncoDiva87
09-21-2010, 12:34 PM

WOW! SERIOUSLY??? :eek:

How COLD can you be?

You have NO IDEA what was going on with him.... No clue of His situation... :noidea:

But, Yet your gonna sit in JUDGEMENT of him? Dude, I Seriously Hope this Kinda thing doesn't Ever happen in your family...

Somehow I think that maybe your Opinion will change then..

Your lack of compassion truly saddens me:tsk:

Ravage!!!
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
that is your opinion- and you're entitled to it, but you're speaking from the perspective of someone who is thinking rationally and is not battling psychological illness, i assume.

who is to say kenny did not suffer from the same brain illness that other football players have been suffering from, recently with attention devoted to it based on the pennsylvania football player who committed suicide, and an autopsy found he had a brain disease from having too many shots to the head? You may say "well he didnt have enough shots to the head since he was so young", but says who? Who's to say 5 shots is all it takes for one person, and another it might be 50, or 500?

Also, if it wasnt a football related illness- what if it was just depression- its easy for those who have never suffered through clinical depression to simply say "everyone goes through down times...suck it up, and move on. many people have it worse" and while that is technically true- it does not do justice to the illness of clinical depression. those who suffer from this often believe that the world would be better without them- as misguided and warped a perspective as that is, there's a logical reason for why they believen that, and it is due to their illness. when viewed in that light- their action could even be qualified as selfless, rather than selfish- its just a matter of the person's perspective being completely skewed outside of reality. thats what makes it tragic.

Needed to be quoted.... imo. Nice post.

pnbronco
09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Carol do you know if the 12:00 press conference will be aired on any stations?

BeefStew25
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
denverbroncos.com is going to live stream it.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm watching this for sure, I was saddened last night to find out the news, I really liked that guy since the draft, and rooted for the broncos to sign him and was happy when they did.

pnbronco
09-21-2010, 01:00 PM
denverbroncos.com is going to live stream it.

thanks for the info.....going there now

BeefStew25
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
thanks for the info.....going there now

McD made the face.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Carol do you know if the 12:00 press conference will be aired on any stations?

Local stations are carrying it, plus you can see it on:

http://www.9news.com/

Coach McD is trying real hard to not break down

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah he's doing a good job

LTC Pain
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Local stations are carrying it, plus you can see it on:

http://www.9news.com/

Coach McD is trying real hard to not break down

Thanks Carol!

GEM
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Carol, do they usually post the conferences after they have aired live. I missed it and am hoping I can see a rerun of it.

Bosco
09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Sad day.

NorthernLights
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Absolutely a tragic event.

My heart goes out to his family, the Broncos, and all the Bronco fans around the world.

broncophan
09-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Carol, do they usually post the conferences after they have aired live. I missed it and am hoping I can see a rerun of it.

me too.....I would really like to see it....

Buff
09-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Yes, every McD press conference is posted on Denverbroncos.com later that day.

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
this thread has really gotten sad in a few ways. One of them being that you have to be someone famous or in the he spotlight of pro sports to be noticed if you commit suicide.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 01:42 PM

It is not loaded on broncos' website yet, so not sure if they will load the video. I would imagine that they would post the transcript.

Here is a little bit of it:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/21/broncos-to-honor-mckinley-at-game-sunday/5247/

The Broncos will carry the spirit of Kenny McKinley with them to their game Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Each Bronco player will wear a decal with McKinley’s No. 11 on their helmet. The franchise will also hold a moment of silence prior to the game. The players also decided in their team meeting this morning to keep McKinley’s locker in place.

Josh McDaniels was twice overcome with emotion as he addressed McKinley’s death during his press conference Tuesday.

“We’ve had two draft classes here in two years … ” McDaniels said before pausing to collect himself. “I’m not sure any one of the kids enjoyed the phone call any more than Kenny did.”

McKinley, a receiver from South Carolina, was the Broncos’ fifth-round draft pick in 2009. He was found dead Monday afternoon with an apparent self-inflicted gun wound to the head.

Buff
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM

I knew there would be people who said that. I think she's doing an admirable job, for once. People want to make sense of it. He is a public figure. I see no problem with her reporting.

TXBRONC
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I wonder what was so horribly bad that he had no so sense of hope? My heart goes out his family.

GEM
09-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Ya know what really gets me....seeing 1987-2010. Lord, that isn't long enough. Just breaks my heart. That's too freaking young. The world is your freaking platter, and it's just gone. I can do nothing but shake my head. So sad.

DenBronx
09-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I have mixed feeling about honoring someone who was so selfish to take his own life. Especially when kids are involved.

keithbishop
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I have mixed feeling about honoring someone who was so selfish to take his own life. Especially when kids are involved.

That's true, but I can look at it as mourning for the kid instead. I'm in no place to judge.

R.I.P.

BroncoBJ
09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Ya know what really gets me....seeing 1987-2010. Lord, that isn't long enough. Just breaks my heart. That's too freaking young. The world is your freaking platter, and it's just gone. I can do nothing but shake my head. So sad.

Same here. I was born in 1988. So when I see that I realize just how young he is. Hella crazy.

Northman
09-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Your right, makes much more sense to paint him as a villian.

BeefStew25
09-21-2010, 02:02 PM

It is all about you today.

DenBronx
09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Your right, makes much more sense to paint him as a villian.

If that's what you think.

Italianmobstr7
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Same here. I was born in 1988. So when I see that I realize just how young he is. Hella crazy.

Same here man. 1987 for me... Crazy how he could literally think all hope is gone and there was only one way out.

DenBronx
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Life is valuable. It is a blessing. God gave McKinley a talent that many many people never get to see in their lifetime.

My opinion on suicide is very strong. Sorry if it offends some of you but I would never do this to my kids.

I pray McKinleys family stays strong during this tough time.

BeefStew25
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Life is valuable. It is a blessing. God gave McKinley a talent that many many people never get to see in their lifetime.

My opinion on suicide is very strong. Sorry if it offends some of you but I would never do this to my kids.

I pray McKinleys family stays strong during this tough time.

That is better.

rcsodak
09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Kind of like being "selfish" enough to make your disregard known.
Honor his life then.....for his kid.

rcsodak
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
eddited for accuracy. :D
0-2

TXBRONC
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM

I don't think honoring him to say that his death is tragic.

camdisco24
09-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Honoring the life of someone really isn't a bad thing, no matter how they died.
Its just respectful IMO. None of us will ever understand what he was going through and its not really fair to to use our "opinion" on suicide to cast judgement.
Besides, Kenny was a friend to many guys on the team. I wont make assumptions for you, but for me, if a friend of mine dies I will honor him or her no matter how their life ended.

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Same here man. 1987 for me... Crazy how he could literally think all hope is gone and there was only one way out.

maybe he looked at it this way. "Damn, 26 years of this crap is long enough and if averages pan out, I still another 50 years to go" eff that.

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
If people who were completely unremoresfully towards suicide wanted to be smart about this, they just wouldn't post anything at all in this thread. But, I know they wouldn't want to do that.

weazel
09-21-2010, 03:32 PM
WOW! SERIOUSLY??? :eek:

How COLD can you be?

You have NO IDEA what was going on with him.... No clue of His situation... :noidea:

But, Yet your gonna sit in JUDGEMENT of him? Dude, I Seriously Hope this Kinda thing doesn't Ever happen in your family...

Somehow I think that maybe your Opinion will change then..

Your lack of compassion truly saddens me:tsk:

no judgement at all, just said I don't feel bad. I actually have had people I know commit suicide. Don't feel bad for them either, but I do feel bad for the people left behind that have to deal with the crap that this selfish person left behind.

it's not a lack of compassion, its the thought of someone being selfish enough to leave this burden on people they are supposed to love.

I'm not getting into a whole morality issue with you on here, I just dont understand you are pointing the finger at me saying "JUDGEMENT" while you are judging me.

Jaws
09-21-2010, 03:41 PM

It's up on the website now:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/McDaniels-and-Woodyard-Address-the-Media/7954ce1c-cc67-4027-8ded-9558692ed093

dogfish
09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
can you guys please refrain from "debating" your opinions about suicide in this particular thread? it's really not too much to ask. . . buff started a separate thread (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175688) if you want to have that discussion. . .

T.K.O.
09-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Comments from those close to Kenny McKinley
By Denver Broncos PR

Posted 1 hour ago

a a Comments from wide receivers coach Adam Gase and others on the passing of Kenny McKinley.
"Kenny was the life of the wide receivers' meeting room with his personality and the way he was always joking around with his teammates. He made such a positive impact on our receivers, loosening things up with his smile and laugh. Kenny worked extremely hard to get to where he was in the spring with his rehab program and was very excited about his future. I really enjoyed my time with him during the last two years and will cherish the memories we had together. He was a great kid, and everyone on our team will miss him."
-Denver Broncos Wide Receivers Coach Adam Gase

"My favorite memory is that Kenny really was the first player to commit to South Carolina (in Spurrier's tenure), although he committed about two days before I was hired. During recruiting I asked why he committed to South Carolina and he said, "I read in the paper that they were going to hire you. I knew the ball would be in the air and I'd have a chance to play wide receiver.' When he showed up he must have weighed 150 pounds. Skinny kid. Of course he's the all-time leading receiver (in South Carolina history). Probably the big game was the Tennessee game of `05. We snuck in there to win 16-15. He made several third down catches. The slant and fade routes, he could run them as well as any receiver I ever coached. We compare Ace (Sanders) to Kenny as far as quickness to get out of routes and so forth. Kenny was always a wonderful team player, well-liked by everyone and never complained if he didn't get passes."
-University of South Carolina Head Coach Steve Spurrier

"Kenny was my closest of friends. We became so close so quickly, and although it was an unlikely bond it was as tight as you could get. We spoke regularly and he was always there for me. He was the last guy I saw in Denver and was looking forward to seeing him again this week. I loved him like a brother and always will for his big heart and huge smile. I will miss him greatly."
-Indianapolis Colts Quarterback Tom Brandstater (former teammate with McKinley in 2009; fellow ’09 draft class member)

"Kenny was such a good guy, such a fun guy to be around. He was a happy guy who had a great sense of humor and he’s going to be missed by so many people. He was funny and always kept people around him upbeat. I’m shocked he’s gone."
-Minnesota Vikings Wide Receiver Sydney Rice (college teammate of McKinley)

slim
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
can you guys please refrain from "debating" your opinions about suicide in this particular thread? it's really not too much to ask. . . buff started a separate thread (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175688) if you want to have that discussion. . .

^^^^

I Eat Staples
09-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Yep, there's very healthy times and places for discussions like that, and this just isn't one of them.

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM

who are you talking to specifically?

OrangeHoof
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianmobstr7
maybe he looked at it this way. "Damn, 26 years of this crap is long enough and if averages pan out, I still another 50 years to go" eff that.

Perhaps you should try "Math Made Easy".

BroncoWave
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
who are you talking to specifically?

Does it matter?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
RIP to my fellow teammate we all are going to miss you...
39 minutes ago via Twitter for Android Retweeted by 4 people

DemaryiusT
Demaryius Thomas

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Perhaps you should try "Math Made Easy".

O.K. 22 years of this shit and another 60 to go. Feel better?

Lonestar
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
The one thing that is remotely positive of this his son at age three will hardly remember this when he grows up.

As sad as that is. He will be spared this portion of his dads life.

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Does it matter?

no, I was just trying to get a rise out of someone :whoknows:

BroncoWave
09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
From Chad Ochocinco:

"Prayers for the family of Denver wide reciever Kenny McKinley, may he rest in peace, my deepest sympathy to the Bronco organazation"

www.twitter.com/ogochocinco

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16134665

Fighting back tears, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels remembered wide receiver Kenny McKinley today as "a special person (who) had a great smile, a great personality, always in a good mood, certainly well-liked by everyone who knew him."

McKinley, 23, was found dead Monday afternoon in his Arapahoe County home of an apparent suicide. He is survived by his son, Keon.

The Broncos players, coaches and other team personnel met this morning at the team's Dove Valley complex to discuss McKinley's death and those in attendance were apprised grief counselors are available.

"I've had the opportunity to have two draft classes here," McDaniels said. "And I'm not sure any one of those kids enjoyed the phone call as much as Kenny did. And that was him."

Authorities were called to McKinley's home in Centennial at approximately 3:25 p.m. Monday to investigate a possible suicide. McKinley's body was discovered in a second-floor bedroom with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

McKinley, in his second season, was on the Broncos' injured-reserve list after having season-ending knee surgery in August, his second knee surgery of 2010.

The Broncos will wear a helmet decal, honoring McKinley during their home game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

There also will be a moment of silence in the stadium for McKinley before the game.

In Columbia, S.C., today, McKinley's former coach at the University of South Carolina, Steve Spurrier, also offered his condolences to McKinley's family.

"We'll remember Kenny for the good times," Spurrier said.

Spurrier said the team will honor McKinley with a helmet decal for the Gamecocks' game against Auburn Saturday. Spurrier added there were no indications McKinley was suffering any emotional distress when he saw McKinley for South Carolina's Sept. 11 game against Georgia.

"All of our players said the same thing, that when he was here he was happy, smiling, the usual Kenny," Spurrier said. "I think he watched the game up in my office because he was on crutches, (but) he was his usual self."

McKinley's friend, Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard, said McKinley's teammates saw nothing out of the ordinary in their meetings with McKinley in recent weeks.

"He was just smiling, just happy," Woodyard said.

McKinley's death is the third for a player over the last three years, with Darrent Williams having been shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in 2007 and running back Damien Nash having collapsed and died at a charity basketball game just weeks after Williams' death.

McKinley finished his college career at South Carolina as the Gamecocks' career leader in catches (207) and reception yards (2,781).

"We will play with him on our shoulders and in our hearts," Woodyard said.

According to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, "friends" discovered McKinley's body.

"It was friends that had found him," said Bruce Williamson, public safety bureau chief with the sheriff's office.

Williams said a woman called 911 to report the incident.

"She was very upset and distraught," he said. "She was hard to understand at times."

Sheriff's investigators are in line with the coroner's finding on the cause and manner of death.

"We don't have anything to indicate any foul play or anything." Williamson said. "It appears to be a self-inflicted gun shot wound."

Ealier today, the county coroner's office performed an autopsy and released a statement.

"The cause of death is determined to be a gunshot wound to the head," the coroner's office said. "Preliminary investigation suggests the wound to be self-inflicted."

"It's just a sad thing," Williamson added. "He was a 23-year-old, he had his whole life in front of him."

Investigators with the sheriff's office have not found a note connected with the death.

"Initially it was told 'no,' and I haven't heard anything else on it, Williamson said. "At this point I am not aware of any note that was written."

broncophan
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ8SiFbvCnY

A song that applies here....one of the last songs the former lead singer of BOSTON,Brad Delp recorded......"What You Leave Behind".........some powerful lyrics....Well worth the 3+ minutes to listen to...
Sadly, Brad Delp, took his own life 3 years ago.

RIP Kenny....

Spiritguy
09-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Andrew Mason shared his experience with the depths of dispair on his blog. Sad that Kenny couldn't have had a similar experience. The most poignant statement is toward the end. RIP Kenny

DENVER – It is difficult for some of us in the notepad-and-laptop set to put ourselves in the shoes of the athletes we cover.

I was never the star player, the popular guy or the center of attention. I’m always the interviewer, almost never the interviewee. I don’t truly understand what it’s like to have thousands give a damn about being the primary read on a 20-yard reception, or to be frustrated about hearing the same question phrased three different ways.

With all those situations and more, I can’t sympathize, just empathize. But when the words “apparent suicide” (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16129522) arose Monday night at the news of Kenny McKinley’s death, I can.

They make me ache beyond comprehension for McKinley, his family, his friends and his teammates past and present — an ache not only for what they feel now, but for what McKinley must have felt before.

the rest is here. (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/09/21/aching-for-a-fallen-bronco/#more-1284)

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Is his suicide being explained for the stress he's been enduring as a pro athlete?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Is his suicide being explained for the stress he's been enduring as a pro athlete?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16135786

Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley was suffering from depression after undergoing knee surgery four weeks ago, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's office.

The department ruled that McKinley's death was a suicide caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head while lying in his bed at his Aurora home. An autopsy performed by the Arapahoe County coroner's office Tuesday morning confirmed McKinley died Monday afternoon from a gunshot wound to the head.

The sheriff's office report, quoting an investigator at the scene, said McKinley had made statements shortly after the surgery "that he should just kill himself."

The report added McKinley didn't know what he would do if he couldn't play football because football was all he knew.

McKinley broke most of the significant receiving records at South Carolina previously held by Sterling Sharpe, but making it in the NFL had been a challenge since being selected by the Broncos in the fifth round of the 2009 draft.

McKinley, 23, played sparingly last year as a rookie and was placed on season-ending injured reserve with his knee problem just before training camp.

The report said McKinley was found in his upstairs bedroom with a pillow over his head. The gun, a black, semiautomatic Taurus, was inside the pillow case and McKinley's right hand was just below the gun's grip. The TV in the bedroom was on the NFL Network. Police said the second floor was "very smoky" and the attending officer "could smell a strong odor of marijuana." A bag of leafy substance was found in a shoe box that was in the bedroom.

The report also said McKinley had been taking 500 milligrams of Naproxen, an over the counter pain reliever.

Police responded to a call from a female who was hysterical, saying her friend (McKinley) just shot himself, saying he had the gun in his hand and blood was coming out.

Among those listed who presented information were former Broncos' running back Cory Boyd, who was McKinley's roommate at the University of South Carolina and a close friend, Boyd's wife Brittany, and several females. Brittany Boyd and Shantell Smith, both of Aurora, and a small child were outside McKinley's residence when officers arrived. The child was McKinley's son, Keon.

An interview with Smith revealed she and Brittany Boyd picked up McKinley and his son at the Denver International Airport on Sunday night. The two women stayed at McKinley's house with his son while McKinley went to an unknown female's home. He did not return to his home until 7 a.m. Monday.

The report said officers were told Shantell Smith and Brittany Boyd went with a person to get lunch at 12:15 p.m. When they returned they went upstairs to McKinley's room and saw a sheet pulled over his body.

They decided to let him sleep, but then both women went upstairs around 3 p.m. and pulled the sheet down from his body.

Investigators with the Arapahoe County sheriff's office said no suicide note was left by McKinley.

rcsodak
09-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Pretty sure it's been written 10x+ that he was 23yo. :coffee:

rcsodak
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
The one thing that is remotely positive of this his son at age three will hardly remember this when he grows up.

As sad as that is. He will be spared this portion of his dads life.

Until he comes here and digs up some of these imbecilic posts. :coffee:
(internet doesn't have a 'delete' button)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Enough threads on BF are messed up by stupid posts. Can't this one be different?

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Pretty sure it's been written 10x+ that he was 23yo. :coffee:

yeah, well, I'm pretty sure it's not that big of a deal, but if you feel all brainy, that's great. Nice call.

KCL
09-21-2010, 10:17 PM

calm down nut :whip:

As I stated before...anytime someone young or old does this...it's heart breaking for the ones left behind.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2010, 10:20 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/21/nflpa-sets-up-trust-fund-for-mckinleys-son/5289/

The NFL Players Association has set up a trust fund to help provide the future education and health care expenses for Keon McKinley, the young son of Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley.

Kenny McKinley was found with a self-inflicted gunshot in his bed Monday afternoon.

Said the NFLPA in a statement: “We are very saddened by the news of Kenny McKinley. On behalf of players of the NFL Players Association we would like to express our sincere sympathy for Kenny’s family, friends and the Denver Broncos.”

The NFLPA set up the Kenny McKinley Trust Fund and made a donation. It also will solicit support from all players and the public for contributions.

Contributions benefiting McKinley’s son can be sent to:

Kenny McKinley’s Trust Fund
c/o NFL Players Association
1133 20th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036

BroncoNut
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
calm down nut :whip:

As I stated before...anytime someone young or old does this...it's heart breaking for the ones left behind.

rcdosak and orange hoof were getting in my grill on a trivial matter. They were suggesting that I wasn't that smart and that made me angry

Buff
09-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Until he comes here and digs up some of these imbecilic posts. :coffee:
(internet doesn't have a 'delete' button)

Right, maybe if everyone stops talking about it it will change the fact that he shot himself.

This is tragic, but I'm kind of sick of the people who think that censoring everything that is ugly in this world makes it go away.

KCL
09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
rcdosak and orange hoof were getting in my grill on a trivial matter. They were suggesting that I wasn't that smart and that made me angry

Don't pay attention to that stuff nut...don't even give it a second thought.

Tempus Fugit
09-21-2010, 10:43 PM
May he rest in peace

arizonakid22
09-21-2010, 10:46 PM
His demons got the best of him. RIP Kenny, my thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones.

Tned
09-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Right, maybe if everyone stops talking about it it will change the fact that he shot himself.

This is tragic, but I'm kind of sick of the people who think that censoring everything that is ugly in this world makes it go away.

It has nothing to do with censorship, it's about people knowing when common courtesy and decency should be applied.

Buff
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
It has nothing to do with censorship, it's about people knowing when common courtesy and decency should be applied.

Some are going way overboard with that and trying to tell people how they ought to think/feel.

People are entitled to their own reactions/opinions. This is a message board, it's here for discussion.

KCL
09-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Some are going way overboard with that and trying to tell people how they ought to think/feel.

People are entitled to their own reactions/opinions. This is a message board, it's here for discussion.

I can't speak for Tned but I think he might be talking about the BS post that have nothing to do with what happened...like when nut was mistaken on how old the guy was and some people posted snide remarks to nut..stuff like that...that's my guess...could be wrong.

Buff
09-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I can't speak for Tned but I think he might be talking about the BS post that have nothing to do with what happened...like when nut was mistaken on how old the guy was and some people posted snide remarks to nut..stuff like that...that's my guess...could be wrong.

That may be, I just wish we wouldn't take ourselves so seriously and try to control everyone's line of thinking. We're not at McKinley's memorial service.

This is a thread about a controversial suicide of a public figure. If someone wants to make a memorial thread, I suspect people would be inclined to respect that. But the holier-than-thou "your opinion isn't wanted here" posts ought to stop IMO.

Tned
09-21-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm talking about all of it. There are some times in life when political/religious opinions, social opinions, and the NEED to be RIGHT, should take a back seat. IMO, this is one of those times.

This community, like the Broncos family, and much of the NFL community, are attempting to deal with shocking news. Different people have different opinions on how 'important' or 'shocking' this news is, but out of respect to the members of THE community they are apart of, the BroncosForums community and Broncos community, everyone should put their need to prove their points aside and show respect for Kenny, his family, teammates and members of the Broncos community that are upset by what has happened.

Bosco
09-22-2010, 12:01 AM
This community, like the Broncos family, and much of the NFL community, are attempting to deal with shocking news. Different people have different opinions on how 'important' or 'shocking' this news is, but out of respect to the members of THE community they are apart of, the BroncosForums community and Broncos community, everyone should put their need to prove their points aside and show respect for Kenny, his family, teammates and members of the Broncos community that are upset by what has happened.

Absolutely.

Watchthemiddle
09-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Coach McD said today.....I paraphrase.....love the person....love and remember who they were....what they brought to your life........paying remebrance for that. Don't celebrate the act...don't glorify someone taking their own life.....but love the person and take care of those left behind.

Hate the sin.....but love the sinner

Nomad
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
That may be, I just wish we wouldn't take ourselves so seriously and try to control everyone's line of thinking. We're not at McKinley's memorial service.

This is a thread about a controversial suicide of a public figure. If someone wants to make a memorial thread, I suspect people would be inclined to respect that. But the holier-than-thou "your opinion isn't wanted here" posts ought to stop IMO.

Yeah, I hope all the posters here condemning Kenny as far as a parent are the 'perfect' parent because they sure are acting like they walk on water. I hope they all look at their lives and how their relationship is with their children.

I thought you made your own thread to discuss the controversial side of suicide and you'd leave this thread alone!

Gamecock
09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
just wanted to drop another note to let y'all know just how much this is hitting people in South Carolina. We, as Gamecock Nation, do not have much to celebrate in our program's history- but the few players that represented our university admirably are held up on a pedastal, and there might not be a better example of that than Kenny McKinley. People had a special admiration for him, due to where he came from (a skinny kid who didnt appear to have much of a shot at WR in the SEC) that worked hard, was humble, and had a great attitude. He stayed for all 4 years, which is something of a rarity for USC WRs, and he was appreciated for that. This incident has shocked and hurt a lot of people in South Carolina.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/On-Our-Shoulders-and-In-Our-Hearts/adf6960d-46f5-42fe-944f-440b1fc56e80

The Broncos met Tuesday morning to discuss the loss of their teammate, Kenny McKinley. Head Coach Josh McDaniels and Wesley Woodyard couldn't recall the young receiver without a smile.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Just a loving, caring guy who always showed everyone respect -- and did it with a huge smile on his face.

That's how Wesley Woodyard will remember Kenny McKinley.

With tears in his eyes, the team captain spoke about his fallen teammate Tuesday, recalling the joy the young receiver brought to the locker room.

"Every memory we have of Kenny is a joke (he told) and a big smile," he said. "He always showed every tooth in his mouth, just smiling and being happy."

McKinley, a fifth-round draft pick in 2009, died at the age of 23 on Monday.

He is survived by his parents, Ken and Karen, and his 1-year-old son, Keon.

On Tuesday -- typically the players' day off -- the team gathered for a meeting to talk about the loss and show support for each other.

"Our team is a close-knit group," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "It was good to have them here together today to try to share in the grieving process. I know it won't be easy to do this. When you spend this much time together, you're like an extended family, and I think that our group has a lot of strength and they'll support each other. Most importantly, we'll all be there to support Kenny's family, Kenny's friends and his son."

The freshness of the tragedy was evident as McDaniels and Woodyard spoke. Both men fought back tears as they described a player who was always full of energy and ready to share a laugh with his teammates.

Even as he was rehabbing a knee injury that caused him to miss the 2010 season, McKinley never lost the exuberance that made him who he was. And from the day he officially became a Bronco, that "spirit" of his was evident.

"I've had an opportunity to have two draft classes here in two years," McDaniels said, pausing to compose himself. "I'm not sure that any one of those kids enjoyed the phone call as much as Kenny did. And that was him. He was excited about it. He was looking forward to the opportunity, and that's what he brought every day.

"We're certainly going to miss him being around here."

As a tribute, the team decided to leave McKinley's locker untouched for the remainder of the season. On Sunday, there will be a moment of silence in his memory before the game and the players will wear a decal sporting his No. 11. The team hopes to hold a memorial for McKinley, and the captains were adamant that the club does "whatever it takes" to support his family.

That message of support was echoed throughout the team meeting, both for McKinley's family and the Broncos themselves.

Counselors will be at Dove Valley for as long as players, coaches and staff members need them, and everyone inside the building is there for each other.

"The biggest thing was just to make sure we continue to pray and that we're wrapped around each other," Woodyard said.

Through it all, the Broncos know they have a game to prepare for, as the Indianapolis Colts come to INVESCO Field at Mile High on Sunday.

So it's with a "heavy heart," as Woodyard put it, that the team will continue to prepare for Week 3.

The captain had no doubt that McKinley would want the Broncos to prepare and play as hard as they possibly can, and he expects nothing less from himself and teammates.

And though McKinley won't be playing on Sunday, the team will make sure he makes it onto the field.

"We've got to play with him on our shoulders and in our hearts," Woodyard said. "I think that's something that's going to allow us to continue push through this week."

"Together we'll get through everything."

pnbronco
09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
just wanted to drop another note to let y'all know just how much this is hitting people in South Carolina. We, as Gamecock Nation, do not have much to celebrate in our program's history- but the few players that represented our university admirably are held up on a pedastal, and there might not be a better example of that than Kenny McKinley. People had a special admiration for him, due to where he came from (a skinny kid who didnt appear to have much of a shot at WR in the SEC) that worked hard, was humble, and had a great attitude. He stayed for all 4 years, which is something of a rarity for USC WRs, and he was appreciated for that. This incident has shocked and hurt a lot of people in South Carolina.

Game I'm so sorry for your pain. It is my deepest hope that your community is able to support each other. Mr thoughts and prayers are with all you that have such a heavy heart in this very, very sad time.

camdisco24
09-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I have two cousins my age there and they have told me the same.
Stay strong and cherish the good times.

MNPatsFan
09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Just wanted to post my condolences Kenny McKinley's tragic death. May Kenny finally rest in peace! My thoughts and prayers are with Kenny McKinley's family, the Broncos and Broncos fans!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16144027?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said that a memorial for Kenny McKinley will take place Friday at team headquarters in Dove Valley, and the funeral for the second-year wide receiver is scheduled for Monday in Georgia.

The service on Friday will be "private for Broncos people, our organization and Kenny's family," McDaniels said during his press conference today. "We'll look forward to seeing (the family) Friday afternoon after practice."

McKinley, who was on injured reserve, committed suicide on Monday at his Centennial home. The team continued to mourn his loss today.

"Our players came in today (and) they were, I think, in a good frame of mind. It was good for them to be here yesterday," McDaniels said. "I think it was good for all of us to go through that together, and it's good to be around each other again today and hope that that will be the same all week."

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/the-wheel/

The relationships and memories you build through the years as a team photographer are priceless.

You have a special entrée to a very unique group of characters in the universes’ daily theater.

As each season unfolds you begin to learn and really understand the inner-workings of your football club. It’s virtually a big wheel with many cogs that lock together to keep the flow, rhythm and unity of TEAM in balance and running smoothly.

We all know players become a significant part of that circle in motion. Not one player looks alike, acts alike or plays alike, but intriguingly they all fit together.

When you have a missing link due to injury, a trade or — tragically — a loss like we had yesterday with Kenny McKinley, the orbit in which the club operates takes a hit.

Kenny was a very unique cog. As a second-year, 6-foot, 183-pound player, he was one of our more recent squad members that at least in my dreams made me feel like I might have been able to step onto an NFL field. That’s where it ended, though. He was deceptively fast, had good hands and carried as big of a smile as I have ever seen in the league.

Generally, players are pretty good at small talk but not very good on long talk. I think because of his fun-loving personality, McKinley and I connected early on in his career, and we had many good conversations often peppered with humor.

Through the years I have tried to be courteous, friendly and supportive to all players, but it is hard not to have favorites. Kenny certainly was one.

Just as it was with Darrent and Damien, it will take the big wheel that drives the organization a while to get back in sync. But with time and heavy infusions of love, support, counseling and determination, all will realign and begin to revolve efficiently once again.

May that ever-present smile of Kenny’s shine down on us to keep the TEAM spirit and unity alive and the wheel turning.

God bless No. 11.

-Eric Lars Bakke

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 09:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_broncos_mckinley_death-4605197

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The Denver Broncos returned to work Wednesday, trying their best to focus on football 48 hours after the suicide of teammate Kenny McKinley(notes).

"It will be a tough week and all the guys handle it differently, but the one constant is everybody's going to be preparing and playing with a heavy heart," quarterback Kyle Orton said. "Kenny will be in all of our thoughts."

And in the thoughts of many across the NFL and in college who knew the 23-year-old wide receiver known for his fierce competitiveness and incessant smile.

Tennessee Titans tight end Jared Cook, who was McKinley's roommate for two years at South Carolina, said he was going to ask for time off next week to attend his friend's funeral.

Like so many others, Cook said there were no warning signs of trouble with the wide receiver, who according to Arapahoe County sheriff's investigators, shot himself in the head Monday with a .45-calibre pistol.

"Kenny was scared of guns," Cook suggested, adding, "No red flags were brought up. It was just out of the blue."

McKinley's Broncos teammates decided to leave his locker in place for the remainder of the season as a shrine to their teammate who had been on injured reserve following left knee surgery last month. There will also be a moment of silence Sunday before their game against Indianapolis and players will wear white decals with No. 11 in navy on their helmets.

Players said the gregarious, lanky receiver who left behind a toddler son would be on their minds at kickoff.

"Absolutely. He was a brother," Denver linebacker Mario Haggan said. "He was a fraternity member. He was on our team. He helped us win games last year and we expected him to be back after the (rehab).

"He'll definitely be on my mind. He'll probably be on my mind 'til I go under."

The Colts are tragically familiar with this type of grief. They had to deal with it when then-coach Tony Dungy's son killed himself in December 2005.

"Every team is different, but that's not an easy thing to get through," Colts coach Jim Caldwell said. "I think when you're out on the field, your focus in on what you're doing, and when you're off the field, you're grieving. Also we have a way, I think, to make this game, the way it is, become all-consuming, and I think something like this also makes everybody think about their priorities a little more, as well."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the team will hold a private memorial at team headquarters with McKinley's friends and family on Friday. Some members of the organization will fly to the funeral Monday in Austell, Ga., near McKinley's hometown of Mableton.

McKinley's father, Kenneth McKinley, told The Associated Press that services at the Word of Faith Family Worship Cathedral will be open to the public.

McKinley died Monday of a gunshot to the head at his home near the Broncos' practice facilities a day after returning to Denver along with his one-year-old son from Columbia, S.C., where he had watched his alma mater's 17-6 win over Georgia on Sept. 11.

A sheriff's report released Tuesday says an investigator learned that McKinley, a second-year pro who played sparingly as a rookie, had been depressed over a knee surgery he had a month ago.

The elder McKinley said his son told him he was ready to start his rehab, which was scheduled to begin Tuesday, but was dejected at first when he tore cartilage in his surgically repaired left knee early in training camp and then was placed on IR Aug. 5.

"I knew he was devastated that he was injured because he was really looking forward to having an outstanding year this year," Kenneth McKinley said.

Although the sheriff's report quoted one investigator as saying McKinley had talked about killing himself and that nobody believed he was serious, current and former teammates, his father and one of the female friends who found his body, Brittany Boyd, all said they didn't see any signs he was suicidal.

Carolina cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, a college teammate, said he called McKinley to rib him after spotting him on crutches at the Georgia-South Carolina game. He said McKinley told him he was going to fly out to Charlotte, N.C., this coming weekend to see the Panthers face Cincinnati and fellow Gamecocks alum Jonathan Joseph.

"Talking to him, he seemed fine," Munnerlyn said. "It seemed like nothing was wrong. I know he wanted to be out on the field, but I never would have thought this would happen."

McKinley's father said he didn't see any hint of trouble.

"All I can tell you is Kenny was with me all last week and we put him on a plane on Sunday night, he and his son, going back to Denver and he was just as happy as he's always been and he just said, 'We'll see you guys when Carolina plays Alabama,'" the elder McKinley said. "That's when he was coming back."

He said his son was dealing with relationship issues but didn't seem despondent or unable to handle them.

"I don't have any answers," he said.

Teams across the NFL reminded players this week of the psychological help that's available to allow them to cope with the stresses in their personal or professional lives — especially when they're injured.

"I reminded our guys, 'We spend a lot of time around each other. If you feel like one of our teammates or buddies is breaking away from the pack a little bit, you go put your arm around him and check on him and see what's going on,'" Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "'If you feel like there's any alarm going off, you talk to me, you talk to your position coach, you talk to our chaplain, you talk to whoever about that person and let's not leave him out there by himself.'"

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ac477a/article/exteammate-suspects-foul-play-in-death-of-broncos-mckinley?module=HP_headlines

A former teammate of Kenny McKinley says not so fast on the cause of death of the Denver Broncos wide receiver, who was found dead Monday.

New York Giants cornerback D.J. Johnson told the New York Post he doesn't believe McKinley committed suicide, but rather he suspects foul play because of what he described as a dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver.

"Something fishy went down there," Johnson told the newspaper without providing any details. "I don't think it happened the way they're saying it happened. Somebody did something to him."

Police in Arapahoe County, Colo., have said McKinley died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, adding that he had been depressed after having season-ending knee surgery last month.

Johnson also said he can't believe McKinley would commit such an act with his 2-year-old son so close by.

"He lived for his son," Johnson said.

Nomad
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ac477a/article/exteammate-suspects-foul-play-in-death-of-broncos-mckinley?module=HP_headlines

A former teammate of Kenny McKinley says not so fast on the cause of death of the Denver Broncos wide receiver, who was found dead Monday.

New York Giants cornerback D.J. Johnson told the New York Post he doesn't believe McKinley committed suicide, but rather he suspects foul play because of what he described as a dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver.

"Something fishy went down there," Johnson told the newspaper without providing any details. "I don't think it happened the way they're saying it happened. Somebody did something to him."

Police in Arapahoe County, Colo., have said McKinley died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, adding that he had been depressed after having season-ending knee surgery last month.

Johnson also said he can't believe McKinley would commit such an act with his 2-year-old son so close by.

"He lived for his son," Johnson said.

I would hope the authorities haven't/didn't rule foul play out just yet but this case would be hard to prove there was foul play! With what has been said about the young man, foul play has crossed my mind!!

broncofaninfla
09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I would hope the authorities haven't/didn't rule foul play out just yet but this case would be hard to prove there was foul play! With what has been said about the young man, foul play has crossed my mind!!

I agree, unless I have missed it, I haven't seen anybody say that they saw any red flags and most have said it's hard to believe because it was so out of character for him.

Lonestar
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
If there was GSR on his shooting hand that would just about put the nail in that coffin so to speak.

I also find it hard to believe that someone with that much giing for him would do that.

If it was finacial I suspect he would have raised his hand to the agent, ckub or teamates for a bridge loan.

But who knows for sure.

BroncoNut
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
JR, please spell out Gunshot Residue ("GSR") for the forensically uninitiated. thanks.

Sounds weird, but if they found out he was murdered, I would be happier for his family and loved ones I think.

Ravage!!!
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
JR, please spell out Gunshot Residue ("GSR") for the forensically uninitiated. thanks.

Sounds weird, but if they found out he was murdered, I would be happier for his family and loved ones I think.

Its the CSI generation man. Everyone knows how to investigate a murder/suicide. Use the stuff, use the lights to find the blood, follow the GSR. Follow the splatter patterns and test the fall of the gun. It takes about 60 minutes, I see it every week :D :beer:

Nomad
09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Its the CSI generation man. Everyone knows how to investigate a murder/suicide. Use the stuff, use the lights to find the blood, follow the GSR. Follow the splatter patterns and test the fall of the gun. It takes about 60 minutes, I see it every week :D :beer:

NCIS for me!!:D

OrangeHoof
09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I remember the McNair murder and all the alternate theories. Essentially, the forensics cleared it up what happened.

I do find some of the timeline to be odd for a suicide and I read that he was found (if I understand what was reported) under a sheet and his head covered up by a pillow. Well, most people don't kill themselves through a sheet and a pillow.

Unless someone wants to bluff for attention (not likely here), the one thing a guy attempting suicide wants to do is not fail. The last thing any of them want is to blow off half their face and still be alive and living the rest of their lives in excruciating pain. Therefore, they normally don't use a pillow to muffle the sound or absorb any of the blow.

The pillow is usually what murderers use to quiet the sound of the gunshot or to suffocate the victim first.

Now, I may be misreading the details that came out or the details aren't accurate but a suicide by gunshot is not usually done under the covers or under a pillow. Add in the lack of people claiming McKinley was giving any clues and the lack of a suicide note and I can understand the ex-teammate entertaining alternate scenarios.

But if the gun residue says the gun was in McKinley's hand and the bullet trajectory could have only come from McKinley's own hand then you either have to conclude that either he did it or somebody forced him to shoot himself, which would be even harder to do and escape any detection or leave any evidence behind.

So sometimes the wild scenarios are simply a way to try to explain the unfathomable but there is enough circumstantial details to make me conclude that it might be a homicide although my guess is that the police can prove a suicide rather easily if that's the way the evidence shows. Unless they're the Boulder P.D., of course.

BroncoNut
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
wow orangehoof.

Nomad
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
wow orangehoof.

He did a damn fine job!!

BroncoNut
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
He did Nomad. He did a fine job.

slim
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I remember the McNair murder and all the alternate theories. Essentially, the forensics cleared it up what happened.

I do find some of the timeline to be odd for a suicide and I read that he was found (if I understand what was reported) under a sheet and his head covered up by a pillow. Well, most people don't kill themselves through a sheet and a pillow.

Unless someone wants to bluff for attention (not likely here), the one thing a guy attempting suicide wants to do is not fail. The last thing any of them want is to blow off half their face and still be alive and living the rest of their lives in excruciating pain. Therefore, they normally don't use a pillow to muffle the sound or absorb any of the blow.

The pillow is usually what murderers use to quiet the sound of the gunshot or to suffocate the victim first.

Now, I may be misreading the details that came out or the details aren't accurate but a suicide by gunshot is not usually done under the covers or under a pillow. Add in the lack of people claiming McKinley was giving any clues and the lack of a suicide note and I can understand the ex-teammate entertaining alternate scenarios.

But if the gun residue says the gun was in McKinley's hand and the bullet trajectory could have only come from McKinley's own hand then you either have to conclude that either he did it or somebody forced him to shoot himself, which would be even harder to do and escape any detection or leave any evidence behind.

So sometimes the wild scenarios are simply a way to try to explain the unfathomable but there is enough circumstantial details to make me conclude that it might be a homicide although my guess is that the police can prove a suicide rather easily if that's the way the evidence shows. Unless they're the Boulder P.D., of course.

I thought this was strange too.

I remember reading that the two chicks showed up, went to his bedroom, noticed he was "sleeping under a sheet" and went back downstairs.

That doesn't add up, IMO. First, the fact they "found him" under a sheet is odd. Second, there was bound to blood everywhere, at least enough for someone to notice. The whole story sounds fishy to me.

Northman
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Yea, you should see my room when i use a black light. DNA everywhere. :lol:

Ok, on a more serious note. I do hope the authorities look at all angles and dont just assume things.

BroncoNut
09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I guess it sounded alittle strange, but blood may not be everywhere and apparent if they just glanced in . I'm not a ballistics expert .

I don't know how people kill themselves. a friend of my sisters shot herself when they were in hs and she was found clutching a teddy bear. similarly , maybe being under the covers may have ben Kenny's way of giving himself a sense of security.

slim
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I guess it sounded alittle strange, but blood may not be everywhere and apparent if they just glanced in . I'm not a ballistics expert .

I don't know how people kill themselves. a friend of my sisters shot herself when they were in hs and she was found clutching a teddy bear. similarly , maybe being under the covers may have ben Kenny's way of giving himself a sense of security.

You may be right.

I also think that you would be able to smell the blood, but I don't know that for a fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Here are the two articles, which describe what happened: - or should I say, which describe what supposedly happened

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/21/police-report-mckinley-found-with-gun-in-his-hand/5268/

The Arapahoe County Sheriff’s has completed its case on Broncos receiver Kendrick “Kenny” McKinley saying his death was a suicide caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head while lying in his bed at his Aurora home.

An autopsy performed by the Arapahoe County coroner’s office Tuesday morning confirmed the finding of suicide.

Police responded to a call from a female who was hysterical, saying her friend (McKinley) just shot himself, saying he had the gun in his hand and blood was coming out.

Among those listed who presented information where former Broncos running back Cory Boyd, who was McKinley’s roommate at the University of South Carolina and close friend, Boyd’s wife Brittany, and several females. Brittany Boyd and Shantell Smith, both of Aurora, and a small child were outside McKinley’s residence when officers arrived. The child was McKinley’s son, Keon.

The report said McKinley was found in his upstairs bedroom with a pillow over his head. The gun, a black, semiautomatic Taurus, was inside the pillow case and McKinley’s right hand was just below the gun’s grip. The TV in the bedroom was on the NFL Network.

Police said the second floor was “very smoky” and the attending officer “could smell a strong odor of marijuana.” A bag leafy substance was found in a shoe box that was in the bedroom.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16135786

Police: Broncos' McKinley depressed about injury before death

Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley was suffering from depression after undergoing knee surgery four weeks ago, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office.

The department ruled that McKinley's death was a suicide caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head while lying on his bed at his Centennial home. An autopsy performed by the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office on Tuesday morning confirmed that McKinley died Monday afternoon from a gunshot wound to the head.

The sheriff's office report, quoting an investigator at the scene, said McKinley had made statements shortly after the surgery "that he should just kill himself."

The report added that McKinley didn't know what he would do if he couldn't play football because football was all he knew.

McKinley broke most of the significant receiving records at South Carolina previously held by Sterling Sharpe, but making it in the NFL had been a challenge since being selected by the Broncos in the fifth round of the 2009 draft.

McKinley, 23, played sparingly last year as a rookie and was placed on season-ending injured reserve with his knee problem just before training camp.

The report said McKinley was found in his upstairs bedroom with a pillow over his head. The gun, a black, semiautomatic Taurus, was inside the pillow case, and McKinley's right hand was just below the gun's grip. The TV in the bedroom was on the NFL Network. Police said the second floor was "very smoky," and the attending officer "could smell a strong odor of marijuana." A bag of leafy substance was found in a shoe box that was in the bedroom.

The report also said McKinley had been taking 500 milligrams of naproxen, an over-the-counter pain reliever.

Among those listed who presented information were former Broncos running back Cory Boyd, who was McKinley's roommate at the University of South Carolina and a close friend; Boyd's wife Brittany; and several females. Brittany Boyd and Shantell Smith, both of Aurora, and a small child were outside McKinley's residence when officers arrived. The child was McKinley's son, Keon.

An interview with Smith revealed she and Brittany Boyd picked up McKinley and his son at Denver International Airport on Sunday night. The two women stayed at McKinley's house with his son while McKinley went to an unknown female's home. He did not return to his home until 7 a.m. Monday.

The report said officers were told that Shantell Smith and Brittany Boyd went with a person to get lunch at 12:15 p.m. When they returned, they went upstairs to McKinley's room and saw a sheet pulled over his body.

They decided to let him sleep, but then both women went upstairs around 3 p.m. and pulled the sheet down from his body.

Investigators with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said no suicide note was left by McKinley.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

Colorado, which typically has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation, had a record 940 deaths by suicide last year. — The Denver Post, Sept. 12, 2010

Why would a smart, personable, resolute, "happy-go-lucky" Kenny McKinley — with a college education, a young son, a $385,000 contract and a bright future in football and life — commit suicide Sept. 20, 2010?

Why?

I think I understand why.

I know an older man who eight years ago this month was committed to committing suicide.

Me.

The last, desperate, despondent, despicable act was all planned out. The Broncos were playing on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2002, against the 49ers. I would fly into San Francisco the day before, drive up to Napa Valley, enjoy a bottle of expensive red wine and check into a nice inn. The next morning I would head over to the coast and swim out in the Pacific Ocean far enough that I couldn't make it back to the beach.

My death would be termed an "accidental drowning," and my family and few friends would be horrified, but spared the humiliation.

I figured out the details while laying on the sofa staring at the ceiling for hours, as I did daily, and swallowing the pills a prominent Denver psychiatrist had prescribed over a period of months — Prozac, Ritalin, Xanax, Valium, Ambien and Zoloft — and swilling Jack Daniel's.

I had everything to live for, but wanted nothing more than to die.

I was suffering from deep depression.

Gil Whiteley, who is a brother to me and had a key to my place, showed up and said: "You've got to do something."

I replied: "I'm going to San Francisco."

Instead, he called my longtime friend and family doctor, Allen Schreiber (who also has been a physician for the Nuggets, the Avalanche and currently the Rockies), and shoved the phone in my face. "I have a problem, Allen."

Dr. Schreiber checked me into a private room on the secured maternity floor at a Denver hospital. The nurses took away my pills, my belt, my razor and my fingernail clippers. ("I'm not about to clip myself to death.")

That night Dr. Schreiber prescribed one red pill. "What is this?" I asked the nurse. "I'm addicted to a lot of medications."

"Benadryl," she said.

"But I don't have a runny nose."

It turned out that I had diabetes, which causes low serotonin levels in the brain — and depression.

I am so fortunate. Allen and Gil were there when I needed help. They saved my life. I am not depressed. I never want to die.

Break your leg, and you can tell. Break your brain, and it's not so evident.

Fifteen percent of the population in this country suffers from depression.

Many of them contemplate, or try to commit, suicide.

Several thousand of them do kill themselves annually.

The number of young men (15-24) who have committed suicide in the U.S. has risen dramatically over the past 50 years. The highest numbers of suicides are committed using firearms.

Why did the 23-year-old Kenny McKinley commit suicide with a gun?

He believed it was the only way out of his misery, and he chose to do it. That's why.

Truth is, there is nothing romantic, heroic, strong or good about committing suicide. We mourn Kenny Mc-Kinley's death. We hope that we learn from his suicide.

According to those close to McKinley, there were no outward indications of trouble. He had been cheerful at Broncos headquarters. He received an ovation when introduced at a recent game at the University of South Carolina, where he was the team's all-time leading receiver. He seemed OK, two friends said, when he returned to Denver with his son Sunday. He appeared to be fine Monday when the friends went off to eat.

The demons of depression come out when you're alone, when you have nothing to do.

But Kenny displayed some of the prominent, potential suicide warning signs: Low mood, depression, despair and an expression of a wish to die.

Police investigators discovered that Kenny had been depressed because of a second straight season-ending knee injury that put him on the injured reserve list. After the surgery, Kenny had said he should kill himself, and listeners doubted his words.

He was found in bed, and the aroma of marijuana was present in the room. He did kill himself.

Kenny McKinley's symptoms were not understood. He needed help. His life was not saved.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (afsp.org) offers help, and lives can be saved. The organization lists warning signs, risk factors, immediate actions for those who fear someone might take his or her life, assistance resources. There are suicide hotline numbers to call in Denver (303-860-1200) and other metro cities, and throughout Colorado and the country (1-800-SUICIDE). There are Colorado doctors specializing in depression, other brain disorders and suicide prevention. There are people who care.

In loving memory of Kenny McKinley, no longer ask "Why?" — ask "What can we do to save thousands of others in Colorado?"

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

OrangeHoof
09-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Very brave of Woody Paige to reveal this - if it's true. After all, it's Woody.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Very brave of Woody Paige to reveal this - if it's true. After all, it's Woody.

I agree it is very brave of him to write this about himself, and I am sure no one would fabricate something like this. I believe Woody wrote this in the hopes it would help someone else.

Buff
09-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought Andrew Mason's "I almost killed myself too" column was better, but it took some guts on both of their parts.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree it took some guts on both of their parts. Kind of scarry to realize how many people have even considered this.

camdisco24
09-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I agree it is very brave of him to write this about himself, and I am sure no one would fabricate something like this. I believe Woody wrote this in the hopes it would help someone else.

I think he did it to help others also. I know deep down Woody is a good guy, even though sometimes I want to slap him.

Make me really wish that someone, anyone was there for Kenny that day...

Nomad
09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
There are so many unanswered questions of why a guy like McKinley would do this or if he did this...it could be the perfect crime by someone who didn't like him (probably unlikely). I was watching Outside the Lines and they were talking about that player from U of Penn who hung himself out of the blue, Owen Thomas. He showed no signs of depression or problems. They concluded it was due to damage to the brain from the years of multiple blows to the head from football, I forgot the technical name for the disease!!

jhildebrand
09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
There are so many unanswered questions of why a guy like McKinley would do this or if he did this...it could be the perfect crime by someone who didn't like him (probably unlikely). I was watching Outside the Lines and they were talking about that player from U of Penn who hung himself out of the blue, Owen Thomas. He showed no signs of depression or problems. They concluded it was due to damage to the brain from the years of multiple blows to the head from football, I forgot the technical name for the disease!!

Degenerative Brain Disease. Andre Waters formerly of the Philly Eagles committed suicide. They said he had the brain and decision making of a 9 year old and he was a 50 year old man. Chris Henry had brain damage which inhibited his decision making. Same with the Owen Thomas.

That's before mentioning Mike Webster and Terry Long. The first had major psychological issues after retiring and the latter drank anti-freeze to commit suicide.

The league has tried to sweep head injuries and concussions under the rug. o longer will they be able to do that.

NightTrainLayne
09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
That is a powerful read from Woody. I'm glad he shared it.

NightTrainLayne
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
I thought this was strange too.

I remember reading that the two chicks showed up, went to his bedroom, noticed he was "sleeping under a sheet" and went back downstairs.

That doesn't add up, IMO. First, the fact they "found him" under a sheet is odd. Second, there was bound to blood everywhere, at least enough for someone to notice. The whole story sounds fishy to me.

I think if you look carefully, his head was under a pillow. When they came back up they pulled back the sheet, but I think it was actually a pillow over his head/gun and that makes plenty of sense.

I Eat Staples
09-24-2010, 04:32 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

Colorado, which typically has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation, had a record 940 deaths by suicide last year. — The Denver Post, Sept. 12, 2010

Why would a smart, personable, resolute, "happy-go-lucky" Kenny McKinley — with a college education, a young son, a $385,000 contract and a bright future in football and life — commit suicide Sept. 20, 2010?

Why?

I think I understand why.

I know an older man who eight years ago this month was committed to committing suicide.

Me.

The last, desperate, despondent, despicable act was all planned out. The Broncos were playing on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2002, against the 49ers. I would fly into San Francisco the day before, drive up to Napa Valley, enjoy a bottle of expensive red wine and check into a nice inn. The next morning I would head over to the coast and swim out in the Pacific Ocean far enough that I couldn't make it back to the beach.

My death would be termed an "accidental drowning," and my family and few friends would be horrified, but spared the humiliation.

I figured out the details while laying on the sofa staring at the ceiling for hours, as I did daily, and swallowing the pills a prominent Denver psychiatrist had prescribed over a period of months — Prozac, Ritalin, Xanax, Valium, Ambien and Zoloft — and swilling Jack Daniel's.

I had everything to live for, but wanted nothing more than to die.

I was suffering from deep depression.

Gil Whiteley, who is a brother to me and had a key to my place, showed up and said: "You've got to do something."

I replied: "I'm going to San Francisco."

Instead, he called my longtime friend and family doctor, Allen Schreiber (who also has been a physician for the Nuggets, the Avalanche and currently the Rockies), and shoved the phone in my face. "I have a problem, Allen."

Dr. Schreiber checked me into a private room on the secured maternity floor at a Denver hospital. The nurses took away my pills, my belt, my razor and my fingernail clippers. ("I'm not about to clip myself to death.")

That night Dr. Schreiber prescribed one red pill. "What is this?" I asked the nurse. "I'm addicted to a lot of medications."

"Benadryl," she said.

"But I don't have a runny nose."

It turned out that I had diabetes, which causes low serotonin levels in the brain — and depression.

I am so fortunate. Allen and Gil were there when I needed help. They saved my life. I am not depressed. I never want to die.

Break your leg, and you can tell. Break your brain, and it's not so evident.

Fifteen percent of the population in this country suffers from depression.

Many of them contemplate, or try to commit, suicide.

Several thousand of them do kill themselves annually.

The number of young men (15-24) who have committed suicide in the U.S. has risen dramatically over the past 50 years. The highest numbers of suicides are committed using firearms.

Why did the 23-year-old Kenny McKinley commit suicide with a gun?

He believed it was the only way out of his misery, and he chose to do it. That's why.

Truth is, there is nothing romantic, heroic, strong or good about committing suicide. We mourn Kenny Mc-Kinley's death. We hope that we learn from his suicide.

According to those close to McKinley, there were no outward indications of trouble. He had been cheerful at Broncos headquarters. He received an ovation when introduced at a recent game at the University of South Carolina, where he was the team's all-time leading receiver. He seemed OK, two friends said, when he returned to Denver with his son Sunday. He appeared to be fine Monday when the friends went off to eat.

The demons of depression come out when you're alone, when you have nothing to do.

But Kenny displayed some of the prominent, potential suicide warning signs: Low mood, depression, despair and an expression of a wish to die.

Police investigators discovered that Kenny had been depressed because of a second straight season-ending knee injury that put him on the injured reserve list. After the surgery, Kenny had said he should kill himself, and listeners doubted his words.

He was found in bed, and the aroma of marijuana was present in the room. He did kill himself.

Kenny McKinley's symptoms were not understood. He needed help. His life was not saved.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (afsp.org) offers help, and lives can be saved. The organization lists warning signs, risk factors, immediate actions for those who fear someone might take his or her life, assistance resources. There are suicide hotline numbers to call in Denver (303-860-1200) and other metro cities, and throughout Colorado and the country (1-800-SUICIDE). There are Colorado doctors specializing in depression, other brain disorders and suicide prevention. There are people who care.

In loving memory of Kenny McKinley, no longer ask "Why?" — ask "What can we do to save thousands of others in Colorado?"

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Quoted this because it's an excellent article, I hope everyone reads it. Very brave of Woody to write about such a strong and personal experience. I hope this helps people in situations such as that.

Tned
09-25-2010, 07:40 AM
These guys disgust me:

RT @MaxBroncos: So sad, so disgusting beyond words. RT @denverwestword Westboro Baptist Church vows to picket McKinley funeral http://bit.ly/b78jjP

DenBronx
09-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Quoted this because it's an excellent article, I hope everyone reads it. Very brave of Woody to write about such a strong and personal experience. I hope this helps people in situations such as that.

You could say the same thing as a regular poster on these forums and get shot down. With a guy like Paige people just need to shut their mouths and realize the truth. Credibility goes along way I guess.

"Truth is, there is nothing romantic, heroic, strong or good about committing suicide. We mourn Kenny Mc-Kinley's death."

-Woody