PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Find a Star in the First Round

WARHORSE
09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Broncos find a star in the first round

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 20, 2010 4:02 PM ET
It took some patience from Broncos fans, but Denver unveiled their explosive first round pick to thrilling results on Sunday. And Tim Tebow didn't play a down.

Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas has barely stepped on the field since he was taken No. 22 overall in April, bothered by a troublesome foot injury. When Thomas did suit up, onlookers indicated he could be special. Thomas proved it Sunday against the Seahawks, catching eight passes for 97 yards and a score in his first pro game.

"He's not a secret, though," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels told the Denver Post. "I understand he's a secret to you guys. But he's one of a lot of guys we have."

The Broncos receiver group is far better than expected, but Thomas is the only possible lead dog. He's 6'3, 229 pounds, and has picked up the Broncos offense quickly after coming from a unique scheme at Georgia Tech. He played 65 snaps Sunday.

If Thomas can stay healthy, then Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, and Brandon Lloyd fit better into their specific roles. Thomas has rare skills.

"He gets behind the defense when they give him an opportunity and then the thing to me that I've been impressed with, with Demaryius is his ability to accelerate once he has the football," McDaniels said Monday. "It doesn't take him a long time to build his speed."

Kyle Orton is third in the league in YPA after two weeks. Denver has a long way to go, but their passing game is probably the strength of the team.

Who needs Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/broncos-find-a-star-in-the-first-round/

jhildebrand
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Who needs Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall?

Chicago and Miami respectively.

bcbronc
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
"He gets behind the defense when they give him an opportunity and then the thing to me that I've been impressed with, with Demaryius is his ability to accelerate once he has the football," McDaniels said Monday. "It doesn't take him a long time to build his speed."

saw that fo'real when he converted that 3rd and long off the WR screen.

Lonestar
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Chicago and Miami respectively.

I was going to say their mommies.

But :focus:

DT looks to be something special IF the foot is not a recurring thing then I suspect he will make all but the stanchest Marshall fans forget him

claymore
09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Demaryius Thomas might be the only way McD makes it into my heart.

Shazam!
09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Demaryius Thomas might be the only way McD makes it into my heart.

You'll love him eventually Clay.

Dzone
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Very impressed with the guy. Not a prima donna WR like batman and robin..what an athlete!!!!!I like how he just spiked the ball and walked off...

BroncoBJ
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Thats kind of the point of the 1st round. To draft a star. Most teams try to find a star. But yea, I know what you mean. 1st overall WR taken, He better produce and he did. I was happy with the pick but with all his foot injuries, I was pretty pissed. And honestly expected 2 catches for 21 yards yesterday or something like that. Did not expect his performance. Cant wait to see him the rest of the year and his career :salute:

BroncoWave
09-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Thats kind of the point of the 1st round. To draft a star. Most teams try to find a star.

That's what I was about to say. I would hope we are finding stars in the first round! :lol:

BroncoBJ
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
That's what I was about to say. I would hope we are finding stars in the first round! :lol:

:lol: Yea man. I sure love to find stars in the 1st round.

PAINTERDAVE
09-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I have high hopes for Decker as well...

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2010, 02:20 AM
If Lloyd and Royal keep playing the way they are, Decker will never see the field.

Solid 3 Wr's right there, with Gaffney an excellent 4th.

WARHORSE
09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Decker will get there eventually.

But Thomas.........man..........I was drooling after watching that kids first reception, the WR screen on third and 14.

Dirk
09-21-2010, 05:26 AM
If he continues to impress, I may have to buy his jersey.

I am all too happy he looked good in his first game.

SR
09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Very impressed with the guy. Not a prima donna WR like batman and robin..what an athlete!!!!!I like how he just spiked the ball and walked off...

Based on what I've read on his upbringing with a father in the Army, I'd expect him to be classy and not a jackass like Marshall.