PDA

View Full Version : Bailey and Goodman are both hurt with Manning coming to town.

broncofaninfla
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Champ Bailey leaves stadium on crutches (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/champ-bailey-leaves-stadium-on-crutches/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 20, 2010 9:40 AM ET
It was a busy week for injuries and the NFL, and the Denver Broncos were no exception.

Starting cornerback Champ Bailey (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1925) left Invesco Field on crutches (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16120301) Sunday night, with his ankle lightly wrapped, according to the Denver Post. The injury appeared to happen in the fourth quarter of Denver's convincing 31-14 win over the Seahawks.

Bailey had a spectacular interception early in the game and wound up with two pass defensed. The Broncos also lost their other starting cornerback, Andre Goodman, to a thigh injury in the second quarter.

It's never a good thing to lose both starting cornerbacks. It's even worse with Peyton Manning (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493) and the Colts coming to town next week.

Shazam!
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Uh oh...

Magnificent Seven
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Get Syd'Quan Thompson and Cassius Vaughn on the field.

weazel
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
in an unrelated story, Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon were seen giggling while reading the newspaper this morning.

silkamilkamonico
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
A good DB unit didn't keep Manning in check when they blew us out of the water in the playoffs. The key to keeping Indy in check is the pass rush. Always has been always will be.

slim
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
A good DB unit didn't keep Manning in check when they blew us out of the water in the playoffs. The key to keeping Indy in check is the pass rush. Always has been always will be.

And running the ball.

Pound the rock, shorten the game, and score TD's (can't settle for field goals).

tomjonesrocks
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Rookie CBs going against Manning with no pass rush. Good way to kill their confidence...

claymore
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
At least we dont have rock alexander.

Ravage!!!
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Uh oh...

And running the ball.

Pound the rock, shorten the game, and score TD's (can't settle for field goals).

Uh oh...........

DenBronx
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
We still have the best long snapper in the game. I don't know why everyone's hitting the panic button already.

claymore
09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
We still have the best long snapper in the game. I don't know why everyone's hitting the panic button already.

So punting wont be an issue. :lol:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-20-2010, 02:03 PM
At least we dont have rock alexander.

I was going to say the same damn thing

LRtagger
09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
They will play. This is only a story because we are playing Peyton this week.

shank
09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
even if they were out, i'd be more worried about how we're gonna handle dallas clark.

SR
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
even if they were out, i'd be more worried about how we're gonna handle dallas clark.

I think DJ and Dawkins will be ok handling Dallas Clark. I'm more worried about our pass rush. Peyton Manning was hurried 15 times against the Texans. They won. If we can get good pressure on Manning and score points (keep Mathis and Freeny off of Orton) we stand a chance. Garcon, Wayne, and Collie wouldn't be shit on any other team. Manning makes them what they are. I'm not worried about our DBs covering them. I'm worried about Manning being able to get them the ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16125485

Here comes Peyton Manning. And there hobbles Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman.

More matchup circumstances like this and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels might start looking his age.

In the Broncos' 31-14 victory Sunday against Seattle, right cornerback Goodman limped off the field late in the third quarter with a thigh injury and left cornerback Bailey left the stadium on crutches with a bruised right ankle.

Manning, who already is included in discussions regarding the best NFL quarterback of all-time, will lead his Indianapolis Colts against the Broncos this Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High for Game 3 of the 2010 season.

Then again, it could be worse. In the NFL, it can always be worse.

"Nothing's broken," McDaniels said at his news conference today about the injuries to Bailey and Goodman. "We're hopeful. We'll see how that goes. It would be an important game, obviously, to have those guys available for."

Of the two, Bailey would seem to have the best chance to play. Goodman appeared to have the type of pulled muscle that requires time to heal.

After Bailey and Goodman, who have a combined 21 seasons and 273 games of regular-season experience, on the cornerback depth chart, the Broncos have Perrish Cox and either Syd'Quan Thompson or Cassius Vaughn. Cox, Thompson and Vaughn are rookies.

Nate Jones, a veteran nickelback, could also be used as an outside corner.

That sound you heard was a collective: "Gulp" echoing off the mountain range.

Manning has been great for years, and this one has a chance to be his best. After destroying his brother Eli's team, the New York Giants, in a nationally televised Sunday night game, Peyton Manning has passed for 688 yards in two games with six touchdowns and no interceptions.

"I did get home and watch the game," McDaniels said, referring to the Colts' 38-14 romp against the Giants in which Peyton Manning completed 20 of 26 with three touchdowns. "I celebrated our victory all the way until the second quarter. It's hard to be celebrating a lot with that on TV."

By the way, McDaniels was asked what he would do if he won the coin toss Sunday against Manning and the Colts.

"Defer," he said, smiling.

In a game between the Broncos and Colts last season at Indy's Lucas Oil Stadium, McDaniels deferred with the idea of stealing an extra possession around the two halves.

New Orleans famously used an onside kick to employ the same strategy in Super Bowl XLIV. The strategy worked for the Saints because the Colts muffed the onside kick.

It didn't work out so well for McDaniels as Manning led the Colts to three touchdowns on his first three possessions for a 21-0 lead.

While the Broncos made it a game in part because they kept Manning off the field in the middle portion of the game, the 21-0 deficit proved to be insurmountable.

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
orton will out manning manning like he out brady'd brady last year !!!!:elefant::beer::defense:

go go gadget orange colored glasses !:cool::salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Any word on whether Darcel McBath will be back in the lineup soon? Honestly, I think running a "big nickel" with him covering Clark would probably be the best match-up we have.

Clark absolutely worked us last year. Nobody we have (short of Champ) can probably cover him one on one. Woodyard, DJ, and Dawkins all got schooled by him last year. I cringe at the thought of matching up one of our LBs (like Haggan vs Marcedes Lewis week one :tsk:) on Clark.

TimTebow15MVP
09-21-2010, 03:03 AM
i like our chances

Dirk
09-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Meh...Sounds like Champ may play and if Goodman doesn't play, insert Tebow.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
We'll need to muster up a solid running game to slow the game down and take some pressure off of the DB's no matter who they are.

SR
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Meh...Sounds like Champ may play and if Goodman doesn't play, insert Tebow.

That would be an unfair advantage for Denver. You could start ONLY Tebow on defense and Denver would still have an unfair advantage. There is a reason he wasn't on the field last week...to give Seattle a chane...

Slick
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Rub some dirt on it Champ.

atwater27
09-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Then we're double ******.

atwater27
09-21-2010, 08:39 AM
On paper we will get destroyed. Utterly destroyed. The only thing, and I repeat, the ONLY thing that can possibly end up with the Broncos winning this game is absolutely masterful and inspiring coaching. (or an injury to Peyton Manning)
McDaniels wins this game, and he will be my avy and I won't criticize him a lick for the rest of the season.

UnderArmour
09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
If Bruton comes back, this could be the game where Thompson and Cox emerge as Foxworth and DWill did their rookie year during that stretch that Champ was out. They will get beat on a few plays, but I think there will be some opportunities for some turnovers from these guys. Will be fun to watch. Remember: The system we are using is similar to the one that used to shut down the Colts year in and year out with Ty Law.

Ravage!!!
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Its going to be a tough game for us... but the Colts are a tough team for anyone. THe 49ers game the Saints everything they wanted last night on MNF, so anything can happen.
The obvious TWO BIG BIG things against us are that we don't have a good running game, and we don't have a good pass rush. Not having those two big factors is a killer when playing against a caliber team like the Colts. Its going to force us to try and PASS with them to keep up. Thats something the Giants tried to do, and it was absolutely the worst approach you can take against this Colts team. They are built for that.

Their Pass rush is GOOD, and its good because they have built it to be good knowing teams are going to have to pass to keep up with them.

We have to get some turnover early in this game, imo, to keep up and be in the game by the second half. If we are just a score or so down by the 3rd quarter, and the team can see that we are just a play or two out of it, then we might be able to pull the upset.

They have a good running attack as we saw against the Giants, and Manning is the best about pulling people in and pulling people in to stop the run, and BAM... over the top to Clark. Tough match for sure.

Foochacho
09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
On paper we will get destroyed. Utterly destroyed. The only thing, and I repeat, the ONLY thing that can possibly end up with the Broncos winning this game is absolutely masterful and inspiring coaching. (or an injury to Peyton Manning)
McDaniels wins this game, and he will be my avy and I won't criticize him a lick for the rest of the season.

No more MAAAATTT DAAAMOOON? You shouldn't have to worry about changing pics Indy is going to rape us.

Zweems56
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Perrish.

Lonestar
09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
May be the only game I get on local tv and were a mash unit.

Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up.

This could be a prime trap game for indy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TimTebow15MVP
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
You guys are scared of indy. smh

rcsodak
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
We'll need to muster up a solid running game to slow the game down and take some pressure off of the DB's no matter who they are.
Aren't you 'speeding the gaame up' by running more?
Houston annhialated them from the left side with the crashing to the inside and the rb running downhill in the empty spot.

Hope clady's knee is up to the speed of freeney or they stay with the '12' pkgs.

Houston winning didnt help anybody.....ugh.

atwater27
09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
This could be a prime trap game for indy.

Manning doesn't do trap games.

Ravage!!!
09-21-2010, 06:02 PM

I think "trap game" is the ultimate in overused BS on message boards.

But when they lost to Houston, that ruined the chance for any team in the NFL to come sneaking up on Indy and Manning.

dogfish
09-21-2010, 07:30 PM

nope. . . and he has consistently just violated denver over the years-- with no vaseline, as cube would say. . . at this point, i'm resigned to counting the years until the fugger retires. . .

nevcraw
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
It's a home game.. and Manning is human (barely) but dude is still human.

Maybe this game will be the tipping point towards a becoming a tough as nails contender. Karma / Fortune or whatever has got to turn in our favor at some point, right??

they just need to make a few key stops for no points and Orton puts of 6's instead of 0's or 3's and we got a shot..

the emotion will be high.. hopefully they can harness it ans use it to their advantage.

dogfish
09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Karma / Fortune or whatever has got to turn in our favor at some point, right??

keep telling yourself that. . . . :heh:

BroncoWave
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
in an unrelated story, Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon were seen giggling while reading the newspaper this morning.

In further unrelated news, those giggles just turned into hearty belly laughs.

BeefStew25
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Is Champ out?

GEM
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Is Champ out?

According to the sports update on the radio, he is definitely out.

wbmustang
09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't know about all that. I mean last week early they were talking about DT was two weeks away and wouldn't play against the jags. The NFL is like a big soap opera and on top of that the scheming on injury reports to not give away info. Until McDaniels comes out and says Champ is out is when I will panic.

omahacolt
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I think DJ and Dawkins will be ok handling Dallas Clark. I'm more worried about our pass rush. Peyton Manning was hurried 15 times against the Texans. They won. If we can get good pressure on Manning and score points (keep Mathis and Freeny off of Orton) we stand a chance. Garcon, Wayne, and Collie wouldn't be shit on any other team. Manning makes them what they are. I'm not worried about our DBs covering them. I'm worried about Manning being able to get them the ball.

really? wayne been the most consistent wr in the league for 4 years now. you really think he would be nothing without manning?

you do know how football works right? wr's get open, qb throws the ball, and wr catches said ball.

the guy still has to get open

TXBRONC
09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
According to the sports update on the radio, he is definitely out.

That bites.

rcsodak
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
really? wayne been the most consistent wr in the league for 4 years now. you really think he would be nothing without manning?

you do know how football works right? wr's get open, qb throws the ball, and wr catches said ball.

where do you go to watch the colts in town?

Ravage!!!
09-23-2010, 11:55 AM

As much as I would love to believe that Wayne wouldn't be good on another team, thats totally incorrect. Wayne is a damned good WR. Of course having a good QB helps any WR, but good WRs help the QB as well. Wayne has been one of the very best.

Northman
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Just tweeted from Denver Broncos.

Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman won't be at practice today, but they're getting better. "Certainly" not ruled out for Sunday.

Ravage!!!
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Just tweeted from Denver Broncos.

Thanks North....

omahacolt
09-25-2010, 05:04 PM
where do you go to watch the colts in town?

i watch them at my house