PDA

View Full Version : peter king on 18 game schedule (mmqb)/bronco weather

titan
09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I got a twitter mention in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column this morning (page 2 about the 18 game schedule) - quoting Peter King from the column:

I asked on Twitter: Which would you prefer for the future in the NFL -- a 16-game season with four preseason games or an 18-game season with two preseason games. I got 593 responses, and the results surprised me.

• A 16-game schedule: 386 votes (65.1 percent).

• An 18-game schedule: 207 votes (34.9 percent).

Now, maybe some people are telling me what I want to hear, because I'm very much against expanding the regular season; it's already hard enough to get players through 16 games. I think the league's asking for trouble, big-time, if it goes to an 18-game schedule, which it will try to do in this next CBA with the players. The players are aware of the league's intentions and are not impressed.

"The 18-game schedule and player safety,'' Jets linebacker Bart Scott told me. "That's what I call an oxymoron. All we say as players is: Don't insult our intelligence and say it's about making the game better. You know the 18-game schedule is about the money, not about the game.''

A sampling of what my Twitter followers said:

@sportsindenver (Tim Larison, Denver): "From a 42-year NFL season ticket holder. Don't want to see the season pushed deeper into winter.''

@SSI311 (Robert Scott): "they can't stay healthy for 16 let alone 18! Somebody please use some common sense!''

@slbguru (Josh Lewis): "4 gm preseasons is a joke/thievery by owners. Yes, more injuries, but there will be expanded rosters as concession to union.''

@ericrmusic (Eric Roberts, Dallas): "Are the 'fans' Goodell hears from 'everywhere he goes' about having an expanded season [actually] the owners?''

Whole column here:

http://is.gd/fjCHl

=======

I am actually not so much against the 18 game schedule as I am against starting the season the weekend after labor day WITH an 18 game schedule. That is what the NFL is thinking about. It pushes everything back 2 weeks (camps would open 2 weeks later, broncos would be playing regular season games into mid January).

A mid-August start would mess up training camp visits - many schools and colleges are already in session then. Plus I like more warm weather games. Even yesterday (the hottest home game in Bronco history) it wasn't bad - much better than sitting in 0 degree weather in January!

Northman
09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Leave it as is. Total sillyness.

Tned
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't mind an 18 game schedule, but would want the mid/late-August start to the season, rather than pushing it back on the back end.

slim
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I think they should play twice a week.

OrangeHoof
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
The USFL had an 18-game season, IIRC, and there was no bellyaching about how long the season was. That said, I would not be unhappy to stay at 16 with perhaps fewer exhibition weeks, particularly when the regulars play so little in the exhibition season.

One thing I do love about the NFL, at this point, is that their schedule-making is on virtual auto-pilot. It used to annoy me how often some teams played each other and some great matchups (like Cowboys-Raiders in the 70s) almost never happened. The current arrangement makes it so all teams meet at least once every four years and intra-conference teams meet at least once every three years. Once you expand to 18, it will be back to the old deal-a-meal way of determining opponents.

T.K.O.
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
brett favre would be beaten to death if they add 2 more games :confused:

broncophan
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
just drop 2 preseason games....and keep the 16 game schedule...

Northman
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
just drop 2 preseason games....and keep the 16 game schedule...

Cool the engines dude....

broncophan
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Cool the engines dude....

lol.....someone who knows good music...:beer:

Lonestar
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
cry me a river they are making for the most part averaging $2.3 mil per year IF the team is at full cap and $1.6 if at minimum cap as we know it today. veteran MIN is about +600K

SO if players get hurt, they increase the roster size and make do.

Frankly I'm tired of millionaires whining about having to work for a living.

The starters NOW play about 17.5 games a year with the time they play in preseason not counting playoffs but then with a few exceptions everyone is OK with that. . SO for what it is worth it wind up playing about one game more with the new concept of 2 preseason and 18 + playoffs games.

I do not understand why they are bitching IIRC they only get a set amount per games to play in the preseason games anyway. Something like $500 per game played. If those two are not counted as regular season then their salary are going to have to go up a bit to compensate for them losing that $1000 for the two preseason games.

Sorry as a fan I think Preseason is a joke and maybe even removed altogether. at least do not charge those fans that come to the game if not.

The Glue Factory
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
As a fan preseason is tedious as hell! I don't even bother watching the fourth game cause it is so incredibly booooorrrzzzzzzzzzing... But the preseason is about coaches evaluating players and one game to get starters some prep for regular season, not for the fans.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games starting in mid August or maybe split the diff and put one on the front and one on the back. Leave the preseason games for figuring out who makes the team (obviously starters don't have to worry much here.)

CrazyHorse
09-20-2010, 11:43 PM
What I would like to know is what the other two games would be?
The way the schedule is setup now works just perfectly for deciding games.

sneakers
09-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Leave it as is. Total sillyness.

The only way the players would go for this is if their contracts from now on were guarenteed (like in the NBA), and you couldn't eliminate a salary by cutting someone.