PDA

View Full Version : Three Postgame Thoughts: Broncos 31, Seahawks 14

DenBronx
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/09/19/three-postgame-thoughts-broncos-31-seahawks-14/#more-1262

DENVER – Three post-game observations following the Broncos’ 31-14 win over the Seattle Seahawks at Invesco Field on Sunday.

1. DEMARYIUS THOMAS.
It was less than five minutes before halftime, and the Broncos’ first-round pick knew his moment was nigh.

“My receivers coach (Adam Gase) said, ‘You’ve got this drive,’” Thomas said.

And with that, Thomas proceeded to introduce himself to the NFL, snagging four passes for 56 yards during a six-play span, propelling the Broncos to a 91-yard, 16-play march that culminated in Matt Prater’s 20-yard field goal that put the Broncos up three scores, a perch that gave them a comfortable buffer zone for the remainder of the game.

He finished the game with eight catches for 97 yards and a touchdown. Only one rookie has ever had more receptions and receiving yardage in his first Broncos game — when Eddie Royal had nine catches in the season opener at Oakland in 2008. Making Thomas’s play more impressive was that it was his first professional game, period, after missing the entire preseason when he re-injured his foot while catching a touchdown pass during the Broncos’ practice at Invesco Field on Aug. 7.

“It’s nice to have him out there finally,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. “I think you saw a little bit of what he think he can be.”

2. FIRST-RATE ON THIRD DOWNS:
Denver’s third-down conversion percentage of 70.0 percent (14 of 20) was the team’s best since converting 10 of 14 against the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 3, 1993, and matched the 70-percent ratio (seven of 10) against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oc. 21, 2007.

“I thought they key was trying to get it into third-and-under-5,” McDaniels said.

Thirteen of the Broncos’ third-down attempts were at five yards or less; they converted 11 Their percentage from eight yards or more wasn’t bad either; Denver converted three-of six — three-of-five if you remove the end-game kneeldown from consideration.

At one point in the second quarter, the Broncos converted five consecutive third downs; at another juncture in the second half, they reeled off seven in succession — the final one being Thomas’s 21-yard touchdown catch.

The Broncos would have set a franchise record had they not needed to take a knee three times at the end of the game. Orton’s final kneeldown — on third-and-14 — dropped the team’s percentage from 73.7 percent to 70, costing them the record.

3. OF CONCERN FOR NEXT WEEK …
will be the health of Denver’s cornerbacks.

Perhaps the worst sight in the Broncos’ locker room was that of Champ Bailey on crutches with an apparent right angle injury. KCNC-Ch. 4 sports director Vic Lombardi Tweeted that Bailey said the crutches were “precautionary,” but it nevertheless gives Broncos followers pause.

Andre Goodman didn’t return after suffering what was announced in the press box as a thigh injury. Goodman had a wrap around his thigh when he walked into the locker room during the open-media period after the game.

There could scarcely be a worse time for cornerback injuries, what with the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning coming into Denver next weekend. The Broncos’ cornerbacks beyond Bailey and Goodman include just one with any NFL experience before last week (nickelback Nate Jones).

With Goodman and Bailey sidelined at the end of the game, undrafted rookie Cassius Vaughn saw action on one side. Perrish Cox, who’d worked as the Broncos’ dime back and kickoff/punt returner the last two games, intercepted a pass.

Northman
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
2. FIRST-RATE ON THIRD DOWNS:
Denver’s third-down conversion percentage of 70.0 percent (14 of 20) was the team’s best since converting 10 of 14 against the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 3, 1993, and matched the 70-percent ratio (seven of 10) against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oc. 21, 2007.

I hope we keep this up the most. Keep the chains moving.

DenBronx
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
DENVER – Brian Dawkins’s second-quarter interception was crucial in helping the Broncos maintain momentum; instead of having their lead trimmed to one score, Denver regained possession and turned the advantage into three scores (17 points, to be precise) by halftime.

Dawkins’s leaping grab was one of the prettiest pickoffs of his career, but it might not have been possible without the pass rush of outside linebacker Jason Hunter, who became more than just a run defender Sunday, sprinting through Seahawks fullback Quinton Ganther to hit Hasselbeck and coax a hurried, errant throw.

“That’s complementing — the front puts the pass rush on, and the back gets the interception,” said inside linebacker Mario Haggan.

After the game, we caught up with Hunter to talk about his big play and where he stands after a month as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

ON GETTING IN ON THE PASS RUSH AFTER MOSTLY WORKING AGAINST THE RUN BEFORE:
Man, it felt good. I wish I would have gotten a sack, but I’m just happy we came up with the ball and (got) a big turnover.

HOW MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE ARE YOU FEELING IN THE DEFENSE NOW VERSUS A WEEK OR TWO AGO?
It’s getting better. The more I play out there, the better it gets. It’s just one of those situations where I’ve just got to continue to work, come to work every day and practice hard, and just try to get better. Each week, I’m going to see different looks. Different teams are going to try to take advantage of certain situations. I’ve just got to try to continue to work every day, execute, do what my coaches ask me to do and get better.

ON THE IMPORTANCE OF BAILEY’S INTERCEPTION:
That was huge. Champ Bailey’s a seasoned player, and that was one of the biggest plays of the day. They were driving the ball pretty well on us. It was a momentum shifter. That turned the tide. The offense scored after that. That was a heads-up, tremendous effort by Champ. It shows you what kind of player he is, and how important he is to this team.

TWO LEAPING, ACROBATIC INTERCEPTIONS (ONE EACH FROM CHAMP BAILEY AND BRIAN DAWKINS). YOU EVER SEEN THAT FROM A DEFENSE IN ONE GAME?
Man, we’ve got some good guys, great cover guys on this team. The secondary is solid.

ARE THERE STILL SOME THINGS ON THE DEFENSE TO WORK ON? LIKE GETTING MORE PRESSURE?
Yeah. Even if you’re at a point where you think you’re pretty good, you’ve got to keep working because there’s always something to improve upon. That’s definitely an area we’re going to continue to work on in practice and talk about during the week, to make sure we get pressure on the quarterback, because that’s so important and vital to this game.

IS IT IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO SHOW YOU CAN GET PRESSURE AND NOT BE JUST A RUN DEFENDER?
Yeah. That’s something I want to do for myself: get pressure on the quarterback and show them that I’ve got some pass-rushing skills. Until that happens, I’ve got to play that run.

A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, YOU SAID YOU LIKED THE 3-4. DO YOU LIKE IT EVEN MORE?
Man, I love the 3-4. Love the 3-4. I don’t think I ever want to play the 4-3 again, but if I’m out of a job and I have to play the 4-3, I’ll do it. But my first choice now is definitely the 3-4.

AND YOU DOUBLED YOUR MARKET LEAGUE-WIDE:
Hey, the more you can do, (the more likely) they’ll keep you around.

slim
09-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Three more thoughts:

1. We gave up 5.4 ypc on D
2. We managed only 1.7 ypc on O
3. Our special teams suck

claymore
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Three more thoughts:

1. We gave up 5.4 ypc on D
2. We managed only 1.7 ypc on O
3. Our special teams suck

None of that matters when you play the seahacks Slim Shady.

slim
09-20-2010, 09:10 AM
None of that matters when you play the seahacks Slim Shady.

It's going to matter next week.

claymore
09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
It's going to matter next week.

I am anger free this week. I expect to resume my normally scheduled anger next week.

Nomad
09-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I am anger free this week. I expect to resume my normally scheduled anger next week.

Betweem Seahawks and UW.....depression meds are flying off the counter and suicide watches have risen in the Seattle area!!:D My father-in-law is balled up in the corner as we speak!!:lol: Yes, i had to call him last night and rub it in!

claymore
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Betweem Seahawks and UW.....depression meds are flying off the counter and suicide watches have risen in the Seattle area!!:D My father-in-law is balled up in the corner as we speak!!:lol: Yes, i had to call him last night and rub it in!

Anyone that is a serious Seahawk fan needs to go ahead and hit the reset button anywho.

JMO

wbmustang
09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Man good thing the Broncos won I was going to have to take a sick day today with as much trash as I was talking. One of the most fulfilling feelings to be in a Seattle bar and everyone just quiet because they are getting pwned <3 Touchdown Shots. The only concern I have right now is not getting any pressure on the qb but it is what it is.

One question I did have was about the stadium. My buddy from Seattle went to the Great American Beer Festival and then the game on Sunday. He said that the crowd was pretty quiet and not loud for as many people that were there. He also said that he would be embarrassed because none of the fans were real loud or cheering. He also said that fans were leaving early too. So I wanted to know from someone at the game was it loud and if this is true. Although he could of been a drunk and delusional Seahawk fan lol.

Lonestar
09-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Man good thing the Broncos won I was going to have to take a sick day today with as much trash as I was talking. One of the most fulfilling feelings to be in a Seattle bar and everyone just quiet because they are getting pwned <3 Touchdown Shots. The only concern I have right now is not getting any pressure on the qb but it is what it is.

One question I did have was about the stadium. My buddy from Seattle went to the Great American Beer Festival and then the game on Sunday. He said that the crowd was pretty quiet and not loud for as many people that were there. He also said that he would be embarrassed because none of the fans were real loud or cheering. He also said that fans were leaving early too. So I wanted to know from someone at the game was it loud and if this is true. Although he could of been a drunk and delusional Seahawk fan lol.

According to a couple that went to the game the stadium was rocking early and then most of the wine and cheese group got up and left when the game was in hand.

They said it was louder than they have heard it in the past couple of years. But still not Mile High Loud.