PDA

View Full Version : Broncos start hot at home, down Seahawks 31-14 behind rookie Thomas

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16118311

Introducing the Broncos' first-round draft pick not named Tim Tebow. The other guy. The guy the Broncos picked ahead of Tebow.

In fact, before meeting this other guy, credit Tebow for helping to set up the Broncos much needed 31-14 victory Sunday against Seattle in the hottest home opening game in Denver history.

With all the hype surrounding Tebow, the Broncos could keep their weapon secret until Demaryius Thomas was ready. That's the guy who introduced himself to the NFL on Sunday. Demaryius Thomas.

The Broncos were up 14-0 late in the second quarter when coach Josh McDaniels decided it was time to unleash his special talent. Not Tebow, the acclaimed quarterback taken with the No. 25 overall pick, but Thomas, who was selected to considerably less fanfare at No. 22. When drafted, Thomas was a raw receiver with a broken foot.

Today, Thomas's greatest challenge will be coming up with an encore after he had eight catches for 97 yards and a touchdown in a limited NFL debut.

The fun started with 3:19 left in the first half. Replacing Brandon Lloyd at the split right end position, Thomas caught a receiver screen on third-and-14 and bolted upfield for an 18-yard gain. On the next play, Thomas caught a 20-yard pass on an in route.

Pure speed on one play. All 6-foot-3, 229 pounds of physical specimen on the next.

His career was under way.

The former Georgia Tech go-route receiver caught four passes for 56 yards on that drive, which ended with a short Matt Prater field goal just before the half for a 17-0 halftime lead.

Thomas went back to the bench until late in the third quarter. One more drive, four more catches. This time it ended with Thomas catching a beautifully thrown 21-yard touchdown pass down the left sideline from quarterback Kyle Orton.

Godspeed, Brandon Marshall. The Broncos' former go-to receiver is now playing for the 2-0 Miami Dolphins.

But if anything was learned from Game 2 of the first season without Marshall, it's that just about everybody is replaceable.

The Broncos, now 1-1, play Indianapolis next week.

Champ on crutches

Ordinarily, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey is one of the first players out of the locker room following a game.

He was the last player to leave Sunday. It's hard to hurry on crutches.

Bailey left the Broncos' locker room with his right ankle lightly wrapped, and leaning on two crutches.

"It happens," Bailey said. "I should be all right, though."

For now, there's a good chance the Broncos may have take on Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts next week without their 9-time Pro Bowl cornerback. Bailey appeared to suffer the injury in the fourth quarter of the Broncos' 31-14 victory against Seattle.

Hot start to home slate

It was 91 degrees on the field as the Broncos kicked off their home schedule today at Invesco — the hottest regular-season home game in team history. It was the fourth-hottest game in team history.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Thomas continued today where he left off in college. He's just too big, too fast, and too strong to single up. On his TD reception, the CB tried to "box him out" and force him out of bounds but ended up falling down because Thomas is just too strong to get manipulated like that.

I'm totally stoked to have him here, he's exactly what I'd hoped he be in the pros.

BroncoBJ
09-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Thomas was straight dope today. I just hope Orton continues to go to the open guy. I hope he don't lock in on Thomas the rest of the way. But sure loved what I saw from him. :salute: