PDA

View Full Version : Klis: George Karl doesn't envy Josh

broncobryce
09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16113583

It took George Karl standing next to Josh McDaniels in the same building last week to realize the considerable difference in their coaching jobs.

"I wouldn't want all that power," Karl said.

The head coach of the NBA's Nuggets was standing in a hallway not far from the Broncos' locker room at the NFL team's Dove Valley headquarters. Karl was fit, smiling easily, relaxed. He looked way better than he has courtside in recent years.

Another reminder that good truly does come out of bad.

McDaniels invited Karl to spread the wisdom of a professional coach who has 1,060 career wins, including playoff games, and one huge victory against cancer.

But it was suggested to Karl that McDaniels is the expert on dealing with the superstar who wants out. And this is when Karl pointed out the difference in job descriptions.

Karl pretty much just coaches. McDan- iels coaches, establishes the football operations model, oversees scouting and works with general manager Brian Xanders on trades, draft picks and roster decisions — even the type of contract each player should receive.

It was McDaniels alone who ultimately decided the Broncos would be better off moving Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

Stan Kroenke and his son Josh will determine what to do with Carmelo Anthony.

"I'm hardly ever brought in to those personnel meetings," Karl said.

The benefit to this system is that Anthony can direct any hostilities he might have at the Kroenkes, not Karl.

"If he's mad at me, that doesn't help me coach him," Karl said.

It's different with the Broncos because only McDaniels knows which type of players best fit the particular offensive and defensive systems he brought with him from the New England Patriots.

The key words there are the New England Patriots. No one yet knows whether McDaniels has what it takes to restore the glory at Dove Valley, but Broncos owner Pat Bowlen was dead-on in trying to tap into the New England Way.

The Patriots have won, rebuilt, won, reloaded and won some more. They have won three Super Bowl titles, taken a run at perfection and reached the playoffs seven times in the past nine years. And after they romped to a 31-3 lead against defending AFC North champion Cincinnati in the opener last week, it's a good bet the Pats will make it eight out of 10.

Perhaps the most significant evidence of the Patriots' dominance is that in their two "down" years, they finished 9-7 and 11-5.

Think the Broncos would take an 11-5 finish this season? The New England Way is why Kansas City, with its New England influence of Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, is the team on the rise in the AFC West, not the Oakland Raiders.

When predicting NFL futures, always look first at the men upstairs.

For better or worse, all hope for the Broncos lies with McDaniels because he is the primary link to the New England Way. Detest Bill Belichick's methods but don't deny the success.

As a coach, McDaniels is still in the trial-and-error stages of figuring which buttons to push, and when, and for which players. But even Belichick started somewhere.

As for that roster.

The Broncos roster that McDaniels helped set is nothing if not balanced. Always one of the smallest NFL teams during the Mike Shanahan era, the Broncos now have the second- most 300-pound players with 15, according to measurables released by the league office. Only Dallas has more 300-pound behemoths with 17.

Then again, the Broncos also have the third-most players who weigh 200 pounds or less (11). Only Chicago and Cincinnati have more (12).

As for age, the Broncos are tied with Tampa Bay for the most rookies or first-year players with 15. This balances out a Denver defense that has seven starters who are 30 or older.

Read more: Klis: Karl doesn't envy Josh - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16113583#ixzz0zzjmkcmw

Lonestar
09-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I have always belived the the HC should be divorced from negoiations with players about money and fringes. As it said in the article they can be mad at someone other than the HC. And the HC can say I tried ti get you more and be honest about that.

But as to whom they want to go after until the GM is totally tuned into the scheme and the players it needs. Then the HC and position coaches should have a lot of say in it. Once they have a mind meld then then GM can direct the sxouting and acquisions of players.

But it would be stupid to allow Xman at this stage to do that.

Those franchises that have been consistently successful have that in place. I think we are finally approaching that point.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Let me add that folowing the NE model is a good thing even though I really dislike the TEAM. Their success can not be argued with. The same applies to the crows and colts they both have an outstanding GM.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bosco
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
You gotta wonder how Klis even has a job.

Buff
09-19-2010, 01:08 PM

No you don't. He's one of the better beat writers in Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Maybe he is the GM/HC of the sports dept :D

Bosco
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
No you don't. He's one of the better beat writers in Denver.

You're joking right? Granted the Denver media market sucks donkey dick in general, but Klis is just this side of worthless.

Buff
09-19-2010, 02:05 PM
You're joking right? Granted the Denver media market sucks donkey dick in general, but Klis is just this side of worthless.

You obviously weren't around for Burger Bill Williamson - or you have a short memory.

I think Klis does solid work. Doesn't speculate too much, always has thoughtful answers in his mailbag, and is generally insightful. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bosco
09-19-2010, 02:12 PM
You obviously weren't around for Burger Bill Williamson - or you have a short memory.

I think Klis does solid work. Doesn't speculate too much, always has thoughtful answers in his mailbag, and is generally insightful. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Burger Bill was pretty bad, but his failure was more born out of laziness than a lack of journalistic integrity and desire to antagonize, which is the case with Klis.

Hell, you can see that right here in this article.

It was McDaniels alone who ultimately decided the Broncos would be better off moving Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. Anyone who paid attention to the Cutler debacle knows that Bowlen himself said that HE made the decision to move Cutler. I've posted video of that very interview here on this forum. So is Klis really that out of the loop on arguably one of the biggest news stories out of Mile High or is this just another typical drive-by of his?

Either way, he comes out looking like shit.

Northman
09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Anyone who paid attention to the Cutler debacle knows that Bowlen himself said that HE made the decision to move Cutler.

Actually, it was a joint decision by Bowlen and McD.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/31/Cutler.Broncos/index.html

Bosco
09-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Actually, it was a joint decision by Bowlen and McD.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/31/Cutler.Broncos/index.html

The only quote in there is from Bowlen's press release. The interview I referenced was done on ESPN and Bowlen was asked point blank if he made the decision to trade Cutler. He answered yes.

You'd have to go back several months, but it was posted here, by me.

Northman
09-19-2010, 02:31 PM
The only quote in there is from Bowlen's press release. The interview I referenced was done on ESPN and Bowlen was asked point blank if he made the decision to trade Cutler. He answered yes.

You'd have to go back several months, but it was posted here, by me.

He probably said that because of his irritation that Jay didnt return his calls. At that point Bowlen was clearly upset but everything that ive read on it was that the conclusion to trade was done by both. McD had already planned on trying to fullfill Jay's request but when Bowlen couldnt get in contact he gave the ok to do it. I dont believe Bowlen just woke up all of a sudden and decided it on his own. It was a combination of at lot things.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Are you guys seriously talking about jay cutler still????? this is a joke

Northman
09-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Are you guys seriously talking about jay cutler still????? this is a joke

Nobodys keeping you here.

Lonestar
09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
He probably said that because of his irritation that Jay didnt return his calls. At that point Bowlen was clearly upset but everything that ive read on it was that the conclusion to trade was done by both. McD had already planned on trying to fullfill Jay's request but when Bowlen couldnt get in contact he gave the ok to do it. I dont believe Bowlen just woke up all of a sudden and decided it on his own. It was a combination of at lot things.

I suspect it was more like Josh saying "I want to keep him if we can he might be worth the hassle" and Pat said "the punk can't diss me like that. we trade him get the best you can for the punk". Josh Yes sir.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Northman
09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I suspect it was more like Josh saying "I want to keep him if we can he might be worth the hassle" and Pat said "the punk can't diss me like that. we trade him get the best you can for the punk". Josh Yes sir.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I disagree. I think it was probably more in the lines of McD already taking a lot of heat for the problems with Jay and Bowlen taking the hit to soften the pressure on his new HC. :D

Lonestar
09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I disagree. I think it was probably more in the lines of McD already taking a lot of heat for the problems with Jay and Bowlen taking the hit to soften the pressure on his new HC. :D

and why did I not guess this would be your reply.. :salute: