PDA

View Full Version : This is how I encouraged my Uncle who is a HUGE Cubs fan.

Medford Bronco
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Jack,
If you have 5 minutes to read the enclosed, you will get a glimpse of my soul
as a Cubs fan.
Dan

A brief Cubs history lesson for you, my friend. I was only nine years old, and it is sorely embedded in my memory forever.

Here is the article

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080724&content_id=3186760&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Now here is my response to him.

Dan,

I understand your pain immensely. However as a Sox fan (remember me not the morons in Boston) felt pain in 1978 just a deep of a hurt. The Sox blew a 14 game lead to the Yanks after the All Star Break and in that September lost a 5 game series known as the Boston Massacre where NY pummeled them greatly and ironically Don Zimmer the worst manager in Baseball left Butch Hobson out to die with his dead arm. Hobson would throw as my dad would say 10 hoppers to first base.

We all cant forget 1986 as well. (it needs no description) So to sum it up, I feel the Cubs are going to be the 2004 Red Sox soon. I hope its this season as the great Cub fans, with you leading the way, deserve to have a World Championship. Good things eventually happen. Look at the Sox winning TWO World Series. If you told me after the Grady Little debacle in 2003 I would have laughed at you.

The Red Sox and the Cubs are like brothers up through 2003. It is your time and hang in there. You will be live to see it. I just know as it would be the best celebration in the world. Even the White Sox undid their curse in 2005. Yes I don't like Guillen, but I was happy when they won.

I hope I did not ramble too much. I am definitely pulling for you, even if they played my Dodgers I would not be that upset if the Cubs beat them for your sake, honestly. I would even enjoy a Sox vs Cubs World Series and be as neutral as possible and happy either way for whomever won. The Sox (both) got theirs. Yours is coming.

Take care,

Jack

keithbishop
07-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Why not? There couldn't possibly be a better story than the Cubs winning it all on the 100th anniversary of their last championship.

Thanks for sharing the article on the 1969 season, Med.

Tned
07-25-2008, 06:42 AM
As a Met's fan, it it hard to pull for the Cubs. While there isn't much of a rivalry now, there was a time in the mid '90s, when the Mets and Cubs had quite a rivalry going, especially the year Sosa and Hundley were battling for the NL home run crown.

I have a lot of friends that are Cubs fans. Some here, some in Chicago. It would be nice to see them to get this monkey off their back.