PDA

View Full Version : Broncos building deep pass attack

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2010, 09:18 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16097994

Warning: The stat you're about to read is not a misprint.

The NFL quarterback who led the league last weekend in big-play passes — those 25 yards or longer — wasn't Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or the other usual suspects. It was Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton, who tossed five such completions in Sunday's opener at Jacksonville.

Go figure that the Broncos, with a quarterback who only a year ago had fans and experts wondering about his arm strength and who is without the supposed big-play receiver, may be evolving into a downfield offense.

"We feel like we've found some things that we really want to take advantage of in that area that has nothing to do with who we're playing, really," coach Josh McDaniels said.

Of Orton's five long completions, three were bona fide long throws — of 41, 27 and 25 yards each, all to Brandon Lloyd. Two others, a 28-yarder to tight end Daniel Graham and a 25-yarder to Eddie Royal, were shorter throws with significant yards after the catch.

But consider that in four games last year, Orton didn't have even one 25-yard completion. In two additional games, he had no completions of longer than 30 yards.

"I hope it spreads the field, I hope it opens other things up for us, but that's certainly an area of the field that we've talked a lot about in the offseason and trying to make them defend the whole field, rather than just half of it," Orton said.

The trend hasn't materialized out of nowhere.

The Broncos' first offensive play in their first preseason game this year was a 31-yard completion down the left seam to receiver Jabar Gaffney.

No, the team hasn't tossed its playbook full of bubble screens, but the Broncos already have shown they won't rely on them this year.

"I don't know the difference of why or whatever. This is the team we have right now and we think it's the best way to go about it with our team this year," Orton said. "We've got a versatile group of wide receivers that can do a lot of different things, and so far when they've been given a chance to make a play downfield, they've done a good job of making it."

McDaniels, who calls the offensive plays, can point to specific reasons for the evolution of the team's offense.

It starts with Orton, who in his second season feels far more comfortable with every page of the playbook, as well as with the receivers.

Gaffney, Lloyd, Royal and Graham are holdovers from a year ago, yet each expects to see more passes with the departure of Brandon Marshall, who had nearly twice as many catches (101) than the No. 2 receiver last year — Gaffney (54). And despite Marshall's reputation of being a big-play receiver, he averaged only 11.1 yards per catch last season.

The Broncos believe Lloyd has the potential to make more plays in the middle or deep end of the field, and he showed it with his five-catch, 117-yard performance against Jacksonville. The Broncos are also hoping rookie Demaryius Thomas, when he returns from a foot injury that has kept him sidelined, will add a downfield dimension with his size and strength. Thomas practiced without any limitations again Thursday and could make his debut Sunday against Seattle.

"I think you take into consideration the personnel that you are playing with and their skill sets and what they do well," McDaniels said. "Then, you try to branch out and use more of those things this year than maybe you did last year.

"Every year I've called plays it's been a different style — there have been different skill players, different linemen, things that the quarterback does better from one year to the next, whatever it may be, and then there's always the evolution of finding new things that work."

BroncoJoe
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
D.Thomas has participated fully in Wednesday's and Thursday's practices. Can't wait to see him on the field as well.

LTC Pain
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting story. Jagsbags won't believe it though. But who cares what he believes!

muse
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Obviously, Tebow would have had at least 8 big plays (not including ones generated from YAC) because KO simply can't throw the ball downfield.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
09-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Love being proven right. :D
Now I'm hoping he continues to improve and has a great year like I and others thought he might. As he goes so goes the Broncos.

topscribe
09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Love being proven right. :D
Now I'm hoping he continues to improve and has a great year like I and others thought he might. As he goes so goes the Broncos.

Problem: Harris and Kuper are both injured.

Result: Orton gets killed, and we begin to contemplate whom the Broncos will pick
among the top ten in next year's draft.

I hope it doesn't happen that way, as we all (well, almost all) do, but the Broncos
had better find a way to protect Orton . . . :sad:

-----

weazel
09-17-2010, 10:36 AM
but didn't Orton lose that game all by himself???

broncofaninfla
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Either Mcd seems to have more confidence in Orton this year with the deep ball or Orton feels more comfortable in throwing them. Either way it's a step in the right direction as the dink and dunk strategy last year failed miserably.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Either Mcd seems to have more confidence in Orton this year with the deep ball or Orton feels more comfortable in throwing them. Either way it's a step in the right direction as the dink and dunk strategy last year failed miserably.

I would think it has more to do with Orton learning/feeling comfortable with the system.

SOCALORADO.
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Of Orton's five long completions, three were bona fide long throws — of 41, 27 and 25 yards each, all to Brandon Lloyd. Two others, a 28-yarder to tight end Daniel Graham and a 25-yarder to Eddie Royal, were shorter throws with significant yards after the catch.

But consider that in four games last year, Orton didn't have even one 25-yard completion. In two additional games, he had no completions of longer than 30 yards.

So kyle took advantage for once of crappy coverage, and on 3 plays made something happen. Good for him, its about time he actually threw like a big boy. Now if only he could throw it in the remote vicinity of the WR, and not make him have to go up and make absolute circus, highlight reel catches.

Lonestar
09-17-2010, 11:00 AM
A deafening silence decends on bronco fans across the land with news that josj and Orton can throw a long ball.

Tebow fans are crushed and critics are speechless.

That will be the day.

Lonestar
09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Problem: Harris and Kuper are both injured.

Result: Orton gets killed, and we begin to contemplate whom the Broncos will pick
among the top ten in next year's draft.

I hope it doesn't happen that way, as we all (well, almost all) do, but the Broncos
had better find a way to protect Orton . . . :sad:

-----

Unless there is a can't miss super stud in the top ten we all know that Josh will turn that into 4 extra #1s. :laugh:

Seriously I doubt we would ever take a top ten choice unless a player like Suh was there and even then unless there is a structured rookie salary approved maybe not even then.

Reidman
09-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I was thinking as I watched the game that this wasn't the same Kyle Orton we saw last season. Also, I think he was #6 in passing yards..

One other thing of note is he seemed to be a lot more accurate hitting receivers in stride which also helps with the run after catch yards and culminating into big plays...It's evident that McDaniels has started to develop him into the offense more. Now he just needs to work on presence and moving up in the pocket when it starts to collapse. He stayed back there wayyy too long when it was obvious the O-line was buckling...The sacks weren't entirely his fault but a couple I thought he could have ran to avoid.

What's frustrating is the fact that we can never have solid offense and defense at the SAME time! It's either a stingy defense one year or a solid pass attack the next...I believe once we can bring the two together in the same season, we will have a shot at a championship run..

Lonestar
09-17-2010, 11:12 AM

I would think that it is acombination of all of the above.

While the oline is not where it needs to be. It is better than last year. Ortons wheels(ankles) are fixed(well) and he has nore mobility and can actually push off the feet to make longer throws

Also last year we did not have any deep speed. While BM was a great reciver no one was fooled into him going deep.

While I did not see it there was some talk about him having to square up to see the QB to make the catches consistently one of the reasons for the bubble screens

I said one of the reasons not THE reason.

I have always said Orton would have a great contract year.

Looks like that may be happening.

arapaho2
haaahaa...boy the mcdists are in full bloom today

this story is a good one...but nothing differant then most of us critical of orton and mcd have been saying all along...the shallow offense with a abundance of bubble screens was barely effective without the deepball...and easily defensed

im totaly happy we are utilizing much more of the field..stoked:elefant:

i just take it as mcd and to a part realize that the biggest drawback and hinderance to last years offense was the fact 70%or so of all completions were shorter than 10yards.....it only took a year but the boy genious figured it out...we must use the whole field

PAINTERDAVE
Very happy to see this development.
McD is more confidant in Orton.
Orton is more confidant in his ability.

Now we just need to BEAT seattle and get a win under our belts...
because the next three games are gonna be tough.

Northman
09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Very happy to see this development.
McD is more confidant in Orton.
Orton is more confidant in his ability.

Now we just need to BEAT seattle and get a win under our belts...
because the next three games are gonna be tough.

Thats all that matters to me. I dont care how they get it done just start winning.

Lonestar
09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I was thinking as I watched the game that this wasn't the same Kyle Orton we saw last season. Also, I think he was #6 in passing yards..

One other thing of note is he seemed to be a lot more accurate hitting receivers in stride which also helps with the run after catch yards and culminating into big plays...It's evident that McDaniels has started to develop him into the offense more. Now he just needs to work on presence and moving up in the pocket when it starts to collapse. He stayed back there wayyy too long when it was obvious the O-line was buckling...The sacks weren't entirely his fault but a couple I thought he could have ran to avoid.

What's frustrating is the fact that we can never have solid offense and defense at the SAME time! It's either a stingy defense one year or a solid pass attack the next...I believe once we can bring the two together in the same season, we will have a shot at a championship run..

Yes it has been a long time. In fact I do not recall ever having bonafide overall top 5 defense and offense at the same time even during the superbowl years.

We often got up by 2-3 tds. And then relax and allow the other TEAM back in the games. We won then but usually after JOhn or TD pulled something out of their quiver late in the 4th qtr.

More often than not we would have a top notch run D but mostly because the passing D stunk and no one had to run the ball. Then we would shore up the passing D to have the run get much worse.

IIRC we had 5_6 differnet DC while mike was here with coyer lasting longer than most did. Shortest was bates he got 6 games before getting relieved after the bye week.

Tned
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
A deafening silence decends on bronco fans across the land with news that josj and Orton can throw a long ball.

Tebow fans are crushed and critics are speechless.

I doubt too many fans are upset that Orton threw the ball long on Sunday, even those that were critical of the 5 yard streaks and posts they ran last year, or the bread and butter bubble screen.

There was criticism because there was virtually NO deep passing game, and very little intermediate, which allowed the defense to really compress down on the line of scrimmage, taking away things like Royal's ability to quickly seperate for the quick hitters.

I think far too many people mistake crticism of bad play/strategy as hatred or hoping for the team to do bad. Instead, most of the people that complained about McDaniels' and Orton's dink and dunk offense that made the Griese days look like a vertical, greatest show on turf style offense, are now extremely pleased to see the field being opened up and defense being kept honest.

claymore
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I will be happy when we can convert 3rd downs more than 30% of the time.

dogfish
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM

he just did it to make clay happy, but no, it's never enough. . . .

DenBronx
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Well why did it take a whole year to finally start throwing the deep ball?

claymore
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
When it works out to be 3rd down conversions andpoints I will be happy.

slim
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM

No you won't.

dogfish
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
No you won't.

nope. . . first he say it's conversions, then points. . . next it'll be wins, then division titles, and then super bowls. . . next thing you know he'll be expecting bowlen to provide him with a luxury box and a private jet. . .

:rolleyes:

slim
09-17-2010, 01:38 PM
nope. . . first he say it's conversions, then points. . . next it'll be wins, then division titles, and then super bowls. . . next thing you know he'll be expecting bowlen to provide him with a luxury box and a private jet. . .

:rolleyes:

Clay is a complex man.

topscribe
09-17-2010, 03:20 PM

So kyle took advantage for once of crappy coverage, and on 3 plays made something happen. Good for him, its about time he actually threw like a big boy. Now if only he could throw it in the remote vicinity of the WR, and not make him have to go up and make absolute circus, highlight reel catches.

Well why did it take a whole year to finally start throwing the deep ball?

Last year, Orton:

1. Was playing in an unfamiliar sytem
2. Was playing with an unfamiliar supporting cast
3. Could throw only with his arm. He had little use of his legs because of high ankle sprains.

This year, Orton:

1. Is playing in a familiar system
2. Is playing with a familiar supporting cast
3. Has healthy ankles, therefore is able to use his legs.

Hence, a better deep game.

As the saying goes, it's not rocket science . . .

-----

Bosco
09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Last year, Orton:

1. Was playing in an unfamiliar sytem
2. Was playing with an unfamiliar supporting cast
3. Could throw only with his arm. He had little use of his legs because of high ankle sprains.

This year, Orton:

1. Is playing in a familiar system
2. Is playing with a familiar supporting cast
3. Has healthy ankles, therefore is able to use his legs.

Hence, a better deep game.

As the saying goes, it's not rocket science . . .

-----

Boy, aren't we getting vindicated here. :D

On top of everything you've said here, people need to remember that Tom Brady's transition to being a deep passer perfectly coincides with McD becoming his QB coach. Lots of people tried to send that credit towards Charlie Weis, Brady, or just experience. Wonder who they will give the credit too now that Orton is going through the exact same change.

Tned
09-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Wonder who they will give the credit too now that Orton is going through the exact same change.

Steroids?

topscribe
09-17-2010, 04:13 PM

On top of everything you've said here, people need to remember that Tom Brady's transition to being a deep passer perfectly coincides with McD becoming his QB coach. Lots of people tried to send that credit towards Charlie Weis, Brady, or just experience. Wonder who they will give the credit too now that Orton is going through the exact same change.

I guess, but those aren't my reasons. They're Orton's and McDaniels' . . .

-----

atwater27
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM

With what? A loss to Jacksonville?

atwater27
09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Look out folks... Bosco called it first. Kyle Orton is turning in to Tom Brady.

claymore
09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Im keeping my mouth shut.

Bosco
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Steroids?

I was thinking divine intervention, but that works.

atwater27
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I want to see Decker and Willis out there in the deep attack. Lloyd and Gaffney... lord, please God let us move past the Lloyd Gaffney era posthaste!

rcsodak
09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I believe that was well explained last year and this......

.....for those that didn't have mufflers on. :listen:

slim
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
When it works out to be 3rd down conversions andpoints I will be happy.

:welcome:

claymore
09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
:welcome:

And here we are....

slim
09-20-2010, 08:58 AM
And here we are....

Clay, is a 70% third down conversion rate acceptable?

claymore
09-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Clay, is a 70% third down conversion rate acceptable?

It is. But I doubt it is sustainable.

slim
09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
It is. But I doubt it is sustainable.

Of course not. Not even king forehead can accomplish that.

dogfish
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
damn. . . dug this thread up to talk shit to clay, and slim beat me to it. . .

claymore
09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
damn. . . dug this thread up to talk shit to clay, and slim beat me to it. . .

I will be as smug as TopOrton if we can keep this blistering pace of 70% conversion rate up. :wof:

Day1BroncoFan
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I'll be happy if they just score points. Third down conversions will of course cintribute to that. :dance: