PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels wants Broncos to earn home-field advantage in opener

Lonestar
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
McDaniels wants Broncos to earn home-field advantage in opener

Denver Broncos cornernback Syd-Quan Thompson interacts with fans during a preseason game with the Pittsburgh Steelers. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
Given the Broncos' struggles late last season, coach Josh McDaniels doesn't expect Denver fans to automatically create a hostile environment for the visiting Seattle Seahawks in his team's home opener. He wants his players to that earn home-field advantage.

"When we play well early at home it's a huge advantage, certainly, and we're going to always focus on trying to get off to a great start and giving our fans a great deal of energy and helping them become a major factor in the game, because that's what they were in a lot of our wins last year," McDaniels said this morning.

The Broncos finished 4-4 at home last season after starting 3-0. They lost their final two home games by a combined score of 64-43, including an unsightly 44-24 setback to the Kansas City Chiefs in the season finale.

"We know the people will show up and give us the great support that they always do, but we have play well early, continue to play well, and then I think the advantage will be decidedly in our favor," McDaniels said.

Maroney recovering. Newly acquired running back Laurence Maroney, who was obtained from the New England Patriots on Tuesday, did not practice Wednesday because of a thigh injury.

It was rumored that Maroney's trade wasn't finalized, but McDaniels said he didn't practice because the former first-round draft pick from the University of Minnesota isn't healthy.

"He just has a thigh (injury)," McDaniels said. "When he's ready to roll we'll put him out there and get him going."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com

Read more: McDaniels wants Broncos to earn home-field advantage in opener - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16092300?source=rsssimplepiebroncos#ixzz0zjC4am Vp

rcsodak
09-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Writer's editor must be on vacation.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

horsepig
09-18-2010, 01:22 AM
God! I can't believe we've lost our rightful home field advantage! That was always a given in "my" day.

The new monument to decadence sucks! It is the worst stadium I have ever had the displeasure of watching a game in. BTW, I've been to a few.

Timmy!
09-18-2010, 04:33 AM
God! I can't believe we've lost our rightful home field advantage! That was always a given in "my" day.

The new monument to decadence sucks! It is the worst stadium I have ever had the displeasure of watching a game in. BTW, I've been to a few.

Seriously? I've been to the old Mile High and Invesco. Nobody can take away the awesomeness that was the original Mile High, but to say that Invesco is that bad is 100% friggin retarded, and I can't stress that enough. It's not the same, but it's still a great stadium, and I've witnessed plenty of noise personally in the upper deck (6 games). Is it the old Mile High? No. It isn't. Period. However it's still a great stadium. You can't blame the stadium for having a lot more wine and cheese crowd in the lower decks (which really pisses me off, but it's not like I can control who buys season tickets). To say it's a displeasure to watch a game there is flat out stupid. If you ever get tickets I'll be happy to give you my address and you can mail your "displeasure" to me, since it's that horrible and all......

jhildebrand
09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Orton is clearly SO MUCH better in the 2 minute offense or when under pressure to score.

If the staff wants to maintian or regain homefield, why not run the hurry up sporadically to keep the D gasping for air and limit their opportunity to substitute. Gas them early and pound them late! 8-0 at home and it barely matters what you do on the road.

spikerman
09-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Orton is clearly SO MUCH better in the 2 minute offense or when under pressure to score.

If the staff wants to maintian or regain homefield, why not run the hurry up sporadically to keep the D gasping for air and limit their opportunity to substitute. Gas them early and pound them late! 8-0 at home and it barely matters what you do on the road.

I've never understood why Denver doesn't run the "hurry up" out of the gate at every home game. Get those other teams gasping for air right away since they're not used to the altitude. If I recall correctly, Woody Paige actually asked McDaniels ("Joshy") about that once and McDaniels response was something to the effect of "We'd be foolish not to do that." I'm paraphrasing of course, but it was something like that. What's surprising is that I don't remember the Broncos doing that even one time last year. It's called "home field advantage" for a reason. Why the Broncos refuse to use it for their benefit baffles me.

I would only add that even going 8-0 at home, I still think you'd need to go 4-4 on the road to be assured of a playoff spot.

jhildebrand
09-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I've never understood why Denver doesn't run the "hurry up" out of the gate at every home game. Get those other teams gasping for air right away since they're not used to the altitude. If I recall correctly, Woody Paige actually asked McDaniels ("Joshy") about that once and McDaniels response was something to the effect of "We'd be foolish not to do that." I'm paraphrasing of course, but it was something like that. What's surprising is that I don't remember the Broncos doing that even one time last year. It's called "home field advantage" for a reason. Why the Broncos refuse to use it for their benefit baffles me.

I would only add that even going 8-0 at home, I still think you'd need to go 4-4 on the road to be assured of a playoff spot.

I recall the question and comment. I am hoping he does it this season. Not only will the hurry up itself cause confusion but it will gas the D. You get the big fat DL's sucking wind and then you can run or pass much more effectively.

As for the road, 10-6 should get you in the playoffs in almost every year. 11 wins definitely will. That's 2-3 road wins. The problem is we have some tough home games i.e. Indy.

horsepig
09-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Seriously? I've been to the old Mile High and Invesco. Nobody can take away the awesomeness that was the original Mile High, but to say that Invesco is that bad is 100% friggin retarded, and I can't stress that enough. It's not the same, but it's still a great stadium, and I've witnessed plenty of noise personally in the upper deck (6 games). Is it the old Mile High? No. It isn't. Period. However it's still a great stadium. You can't blame the stadium for having a lot more wine and cheese crowd in the lower decks (which really pisses me off, but it's not like I can control who buys season tickets). To say it's a displeasure to watch a game there is flat out stupid. If you ever get tickets I'll be happy to give you my address and you can mail your "displeasure" to me, since it's that horrible and all......

I really like the semi-arches in the entry ways. Those help some.

horsepig
09-19-2010, 11:04 PM
BTW, Timmy, please never call me a friiggin stupid retard again, thank you.

Northman
09-19-2010, 11:04 PM
McD did get off to a fast start and got the crowd into it. Thats a good thing. Winning all the home games would give us 8 wins off the bat.