PDA

View Full Version : Laurence maroney traded to denver...

Pages : [1] 2

cantstopalexx
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
via adam schefter's twitter...Compensation Unknown as of yet...

underrated29
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
my balls are sweaty..... Solution, unknown.

UnderArmour
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
via adam schefter's twitter...compensation unknown...

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

New England traded running back Laurence Maroney to Denver. Compensation not know yet. More details at ESPN.com. half a minute ago via ÜberTwitter

Northman
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Im happy already.

Buff
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
I wish we would have traded for a faster RB, although I don't hate the added depth.

underrated29
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
dam-its legit!!!

Wow- I like the move, as long as it is not someone or pick of significance. Prob, not since he was on the block and losing his job. Fred taylor and sammy morris please stand up in NE.

soonerjh
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
He runs fast and hard and can catch passes. I think he will compliment Moreno

rationalfan
09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
ok. i've been looking at most of mcd's moves with a hopeful perspective. but this one just feels stupid. maroney plays like a guy who's afraid of contact.

what does it mean?
is mcd finally figuring out that knowshon feels more and more like a bust?
did buckhalter's fumble lock him in the doghouse?
is moreno's injury much worse than anyone thought?
does mcd think he salvage the career of back shanahan predicted would be a future pro-bowler?

i have no idea why this trade was made? anyone? bueller? bueller?

Northman
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
ok. i've been looking at most of mcd's moves with a hopeful perspective. but this one just feels stupid.

what does it mean?
is moreno's injury must worse than anyone thought?
does mcd think he salvage the career of back shanahan predicted would be a future pro-bowler?

Probably means he knows Maroney since his days in NE.

Day1BroncoFan
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't care what it means as long as he performs and doesn't cost more than he's worth.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
See ya Buckhalter :hi:

underrated29
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
ok. i've been looking at most of mcd's moves with a hopeful perspective. but this one just feels stupid. maroney plays like a guy who's afraid of contact.

what does it mean?

Think about it..

knowshon might have reaggrivated his hammy. That leaves us with fragile buck, and andre brown who is battling turf toe and lance ball.

So basically if know goes down we have buck and ball---not good.

Now we have someone healthy who knows the system, that can at least play should our big boys go down again...*knocking the hell out of the wood desk i am at*

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM

what does it mean?

We don't agree on much, but this one also sounds like NE is finally accepting that he was a bust there. Maroney has been a terrible back in NE. He hasn't done anything, and has looked like the ultimate "bad pick" example of Belicheck's. Some fans here wanted Maroney instead of DJ, but as of right now, DJ has played fantastic and this kid has been a wash-up.

But you asked some good qustions. Why? Is it because of the fumble? Is moreno's hammy worse than we've been led to believe? Does McD miss Hillis? (:lol: had to just throw that in for fun)

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I can't help but be pessimistic about this trade because I feel McD is interested in ex-Pats way too much. I really hope we didn't give up more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

Damn, why couldn't we trade Gronkowski for him? That would be a trade I approve 100%.

Oh and Buckhalter is much better than Maroney, by the way.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I can't help but be pessimistic about this trade because I feel McD is interested in ex-Pats way too much. I really hope we didn't give up more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

Damn, why couldn't we trade Gronkowski for him? That would be a trade I approve 100%.

'Cause they already have a Gronkowski in NE. How can we have one like NE does, if we trade ours away?

Buff

what does it mean?

My theory:

Buckhalter has always had injury problems, Moreno has never been 100% as a Bronco... I think he's probably sick of having 2 banged up guys back there and isn't sure we'll get through the season with just the two of them.

So we went and got another injury prone RB. :confused: Hopefully we didn't give up any more than a 4th. I'd prefer 5th or lower.

jhildebrand
Does McD miss Hillis? (:lol: had to just throw that in for fun)

Apparently he does. He wants to put Buckhalter in the Hillis role (doghouse) but to do that, he needed another RB. :lol:

IF (as much emphasis on the if) Moreno's injury is worse than expected than it is safe to apply the injury prone label.

BroncoNut
09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
awesome.

Buff
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
@Adam_Schefter: For RB Maroney, New England gets Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011 and Denver gets New England's sixth-round pick in 2011.

twit

Mike
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Moroney and a 6th for a 4th? I don't think that's too bad for Denver.

honz
I've never liked Maroney, but at least we got him on the cheap. I'm not sure he's any better than Lance Ball though.

Northman
Hmmmm

jhildebrand
twit

I think it is becoming clear that the McDaniels era will be defined by over compensate and under deliver in all areas.

Northman
09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I will have to wonder though if Maroney comes in and shines rather quickly what that will mean for Knowshon.

underrated29
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
eh the trade is ok....not happy about losing a 4th....But I suppose this could pan out...

It effing better because some of Joshs trades have been really effed!

Quinn, Phonz, big dick quinn. Still others have been good, jay, brandon, the process for dt and tt.

It at least has upside.

honz
Maroney's not gonna be shining anything besides his balls.

Buff
I think it is becoming clear that the McDaniels era will be defined by over compensate and under deliver in all areas.

I can live with giving up a 4th and getting a 6th in return for a guy who fills a hole on the depth chart and has 1st round potential.

Still, my only complaint is that he doesn't really do anything that much differently than Buck and Moreno. He's not a bruiser or a sprinter - he's just a somewhat above avg guy who can catch the ball and break a few tackles.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure he's any better than Lance Ball though.

Yes he is. He touched the ball in meaningful games.

I agree.

I will have to wonder though if Maroney comes in and shines rather quickly what that will mean for Knowshon.

He won't shine. And it would spell doom for Buckhalter, not Knowshon.

eh the trade is ok....not happy about losing a 4th....But I suppose this could pan out...

It effing better because some of Joshs trades have been really effed!

Quinn, Phonz, big dick quinn. Still others have been good, jay, brandon, the process for dt and tt.

It at least has upside.

You were on the right track until you mentioned trading up to get Tebow as a positive. That was one of the worst draft picks ever made.

honz
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
So who gets cut? Ball, Brown, Vaughn, Thompson?

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I can live with giving up a 4th and getting a 6th in return for a guy who fills a hole on the depth chart and has 1st round potential.

Still, my only complaint is that he doesn't really do anything that much differently than Buck and Moreno. He's not a bruiser or a sprinter - he's just a somewhat above avg guy who can catch the ball and break a few tackles.

I guess a 4th for me is too high. I just don't trust McDaniels track record on trades at this point.

EDIT: I also dislike each NE castoff more and more. They have yet to be solid outside of Paxton (who we really didn't need anyway).

rationalfan
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
big dick quinn.

do you know something we don't?

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
We don't agree on much, but this one also sounds like NE is finally accepting that he was a bust there. Maroney has been a terrible back in NE. He hasn't done anything, and has looked like the ultimate "bad pick" example of Belicheck's. Some fans here wanted Maroney instead of DJ, but as of right now, DJ has played fantastic and this kid has been a wash-up.

But you asked some good qustions. Why? Is it because of the fumble? Is moreno's hammy worse than we've been led to believe? Does McD miss Hillis? (:lol: had to just throw that in for fun)

DJ was drafted by the Broncos in 2004, we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2005 and Cutler was drafted in 2006.

The Patriots drafted Vince Wilkfort and Benjamin Watson in 2004, 2005 they drafted Logan Mankins and in 2006 they drafted Laurence Maroney.

But looking at all the Pats first rounders is amazing. They rarely had a bust.

camdisco24
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I like the pickup.
After Bucks performance Sunday, I'm not surprised at all.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Pick any of those except Thompson and it makes no difference to me.

I guess a 4th for me is too high. I just don't trust McDaniels track record on trades at this point.

I agree with everything you said.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
do you know something we don't?

He's talking about Richard, using my manly instincts I'd assume Brady is on the opposite end. :D

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM
twit
why? Assuming "16th" of each round (cuz thats what they do), whats the pt diff? Thats his worth.
And what did I miss? KM hurt again? Cuz I didnt see him playing slow when he was hurdling players.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
DJ was drafted by the Broncos in 2004, we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2005 and Cutler was drafted in 2006.

The Patriots drafted Vince Wilkfort and Benjamin Watson in 2004, 2005 they drafted Logan Mankins and in 2006 they drafted Laurence Maroney.

rav has maroney confused with steven jackson in that post. . .

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
That this is his 2nd yr with battling injuries at each start. And did KM play all 16 last yr? I cant remember.....cuz he now has 1000+ yds. Not bad for splitting as much as he did last yr.

dogfish
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
overall, this is just a big "meh". . .

maroney looked like a beast his first two years, and has basically been shit ever since. . . he's a pure ZBS back-- if we still ran that scheme i might actually be interested by this pickup, but we already know he sucks in our scheme-- and that was behind a better line, with a lot better skill position talent around him. . .

enh, dropping down a couple rounds isn't much cost, so it's pretty much a wash IMO. . . not one of all these backs we've brought in is likely to have any value going forward. . . we need to spend another draft pick on the position next year and try to get it squared away. . .

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
rav has maroney confused with steven jackson in that post. . .

Yeah but they only difference is Jackson was never a bust and is still playing at a high level. I do remember alot of fans wanting him though.

But....why in the heck can't we trade for some key defensive players!!? :mad:

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
overall, this is just a big "meh". . .

maroney looked like a beast his first two years, and has basically been shit ever since. . . he's a pure ZBS back-- if we still ran that scheme i might actually be interested by this pickup, but we already know he sucks in our scheme-- and that was behind a better line, with a lot better skill position talent around him. . .

enh, dropping down a couple rounds isn't much cost, so it's pretty much a wash IMO. . . not one of all these backs we've brought in is likely to have any value going forward. . . we need to spend another draft pick on the position next year and try to get it squared away. . .

I wonder what we gave for him.

Jarvis Moss??? :D

dogfish
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah but they only difference is Jackson was never a bust and is still playing at a high level. I do remember alot of fans wanting him though.

But....why in the heck can't we trade for some key defensive players!!? :mad:

because no one else is interested in giving up their key defensive players. . . ;)

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
because no one else is interested in giving up their key defensive players. . . ;)

Every year we have a chance to sign some good free agents if we would just open up the check book a bit. I know Wilfort was a little unhappy last offseason and we might have been able to package together a nice trade for him. Not to mention Jason Taylor was on the market and Kampman. Terrel Suggs also comes to mind. Wasn't Ray Lewis searching around the year before?

BIG FAT RICHARD DICK QUINN!!!!!!

Tempus Fugit
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I like the trade from the Broncos perspective, but I bet a lot of you will come to hate it. Maroney doesn't really have a running style. He's not a bruiser, he's not a slasher and he's not really a cutter. He's the kind of runner who'll slow down and wait for a hole to open up, and the fans will be screaming as a result.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Every year we have a chance to sign some good free agents if we would just open up the check book a bit. I know Wilfort was a little unhappy last offseason and we might have been able to package together a nice trade for him. Not to mention Jason Taylor was on the market and Kampman. Terrel Suggs also comes to mind. Wasn't Ray Lewis searching around the year before?

BIG FAT RICHARD DICK QUINN!!!!!!

What in the world does he have to do with that post? :confused:

underrated29
09-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Probably and OLB we still have 3 of them left.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Yeaup... as dog said I have him mixed with Jackson, but I just remember a ton of people wanting Maroney when he was coming out of college :beer:

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I like the trade from the Broncos perspective, but I bet a lot of you will come to hate it. Maroney doesn't really have a running style. He's not a bruiser, he's not a slasher and he's not really a cutter. He's the kind of runner who'll slow down and wait for a hole to open up, and the fans will be screaming as a result.

I have to ask, because you've said it. If he isn't any of these things, then what is he? Because honestly, I would ahve to say that he doesn't have a productive style from what I've seen. So I think most fans would prefer that.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeaup... as dog said I have him mixed with Jackson, but I just remember a ton of people wanting Maroney when he was coming out of college :beer:

shanahan included!

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
What in the world does he have to do with that post? :confused:

that's my new curse word.

Me included but I didn't want him in the first. I was hoping he would fall into the 2nd and maybe we trade up but New England snatched him up late. He did look like a tough runner but the last 3 years he's been invisible.

Thnikkaman
09-14-2010, 04:09 PM

what does it mean?

Its so vivid.

WTE
09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I have to ask, because you've said it. If he isn't any of these things, then what is he? Because honestly, I would ahve to say that he doesn't have a productive style from what I've seen. So I think most fans would prefer that.

He's exactly what Tempist described. He's not bad catching the ball out of the backfield and racing for yards and the Patriots didn't utilize him enough with the passing game.

But the same can be said for most NFL backs who have room to accelerate. Maroney just didn't know how to quickly fill a hole. Very hesitant.

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
We gave up a 4th :shocked:

New England is giving us their 6th and Maroney.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

yeah.... seems like we don't have a great value for draft choices.

Tempus Fugit
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2007

Check out his ratings from 2007, which is the last time he was in the McDaniels' system (he missed almost all of 2008 with a broken shoulder). He's been a very efficient running back, but his style is infuriating to people who want a guy who just plows ahead. Last year, he tried changing his style and it resulted in him putting the ball on the ground. I don't know what he'll show this year but, since I don't care as much about looks as I do production, his 'style' has never been anything I saw as a problem.

Ziggy
We gave up a 4th, for a 6th and a 25 year old running back that had 757 yards and 9TD's rushing last season. Oh, the humanity!

Ravage!!!
He's exactly what Tempist described. He's not bad catching the ball out of the backfield and racing for yards and the Patriots didn't utilize him enough with the passing game.

But the same can be said for most NFL backs who have room to accelerate. Maroney just didn't know how to quickly fill a hole. Very hesitant.

exactly. I don't know what kind of runner he is. I mean, he's not fast, he's not powerful. He's not a slasher or cutter. Not exactly known as a 3rd down back. So what is he? So far, he's proved to be a bust (for a 1st round selection).

CANHawk
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
yeah.... seems like we don't have a great value for draft choices.

Thank you for Earl Thomas BTW :D

Grover
09-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't really like this move. We don't know what's up with any of our running backs with respect to injury and availability, so Maroney must be a need in the minds of the FO, but I don't like giving up picks. Especially since our pick will most likely be in the first half of round 4, and the Pats pick most likely in the last half of round 6.

Next year:

1 first
2 seconds
1 third
2 sixths

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you for Earl Thomas BTW :D

Dan Gronkowski > Earl Thomas

Alphonso Smith > Earl Thomas

elsid13
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Clay now we will see that bubble screen pass really work!

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't really like this move. We don't know what's up with any of our running backs with respect to injury and availability, so Maroney must be a need in the minds of the FO, but I don't like giving up picks. Especially since our pick will most likely be in the first half of round 4, and the Pats pick most likely in the last half of round 6.

Next year:

1 first
2 seconds
1 third
2 sixths

Its wayyyyyyy too early. We have a LOT of time to trade away more picks before then :elefant:

Tempus Fugit
09-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Next year:

1 first
2 seconds
1 third
2 sixths

Maroney is better than Buckhalter, and they need another RB on this roster, since there's not really a 3rd down back that's reliable.

Well, to be accurate, Maroney has been better than Buckhalter in the past. What he'll be moving forward remains to be seen.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Move after move after move.

Does another move like this signal that McD may be a bit desperate or possibly moving cloer to the hot seat?

If not, when does that happen? :confused:

dogfish
09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
exactly. I don't know what kind of runner he is. I mean, he's not fast, he's not powerful. He's not a slasher or cutter. Not exactly known as a 3rd down back. So what is he? So far, he's proved to be a bust (for a 1st round selection).

he's a speed back, a cutback runner-- having some hesitancy doesn't mean that he isn't fast in a stright line. . . he was very productive in minnesota's ZBS in college, and garnered some comparisons to portis as a draft pick (i never thought he was as elusive). . . as WTE said, he has some value as a receiver out of the backfield, and may well be used in a 3rd down back role here. . .

bottom line, while there's nothing about him to get overly excited about, he's not significantly worse than the other options that were available. . .

i would've rather tried to trade the 4th straight up for marshawn lynch, but i suppose it's no surprise that mcD jumped on the chance to bring in another guy who knows the system. . . won't help him break any tackles, but it may get him on the field quicker. . .

dogfish
09-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Does another move like this signal that McD may be a bit desperate or possibly moving cloer to the hot seat?

probably two or three years from now. . .

keep hoping. . .

:D

WTE

He had power @ Minnesota and showed flashes of power his rookie year. great stiff arm ability. But then he hurt his shoulder and seemed to lose confidence. I do think he's pretty fast though. It's just hard to see his speed on his constant 2 and 3 yard gains.

Ziggy

Or does it mean that he's always trying to improve this team? I could understand all the complaining if we had given up a 3rd round pick straight up, but we traded from the 4th to the 6th and got a young back coming into his prime.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
he's a speed back-- having some hesitancy doesn't mean that he isn't fast in a stright line. . . he was very productive in wisconsin's ZBS in college, and garnered some comparisons to portis as a draft pick (i never thought he was as elusive). . . as WTE said, he has some value as a receiver out of the backfield, and may well be used in a 3rd down back role here. . .

bottom line, while there's nothing about him to get overly excited about, he's not significantly worse than the other options that were available. . .

i would've rather tried to trade the 4th straight up for marshawn lynch, but i suppose it's no surprise that mcD jumped on the chance to bring in another guy who knows the system. . . won't help him break any tackles, but it may get him on the field quicker. . .

Lynch would have been the one to go after, for sure. Much better back.

But if Maroney is a speed back, then its like watching a train get there. Have to have a long track to finally get the momentum going.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:32 PM
he's a speed back, a cutback runner-- having some hesitancy doesn't mean that he isn't fast in a stright line. . . he was very productive in wisconsin's ZBS in college, and garnered some comparisons to portis as a draft pick (i never thought he was as elusive). . . as WTE said, he has some value as a receiver out of the backfield, and may well be used in a 3rd down back role here. . .

I thought Maroney went to Minnesota

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Or does it mean that he's always trying to improve this team? I could understand all the complaining if we had given up a 3rd round pick straight up, but we traded from the 4th to the 6th and got a young back coming into his prime.

Coming into his prime? Really?

You must not have seen much of Maroney run.

No one is denying that he's attempting to make the team better. Thats not the question. Its the moves that involve draft picks that have been made in his attempt to make the team better, that have raised eyebrows. Whether that be for Quinn, the CB that we used the 14th overall pick on, Moreno, Tebow, and now a RB taht we go after purely because he used to wear NE on his jersey.

I think the fact that he knows the system and it gets him on the field at a faster pace than some new guy coming in is valid. But you can only get away with that "knows the system" thing so many times... imo. We've pushed the limit on that.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM

He did.

dogfish
09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
here's maroney's college scouting report, if anyone's interested. . .

Overview

Despite starting only 14 of 36 games for the Gophers, Maroney etched his name in the school and Big Ten Conference record books. A player who has drawn comparisons to Seattle's Shaun Alexander for his quickness and running style, Maroney joined Wisconsin's Ron Dayne and Michigan State's Sedrick Irvin as the only players in Big Ten history to rush for over 1,000 yards in each of their first three seasons. He also became the first player in school annals to gain over 1,000 yards on the ground in three campaigns.

The Normandy High School product was a four-time All-Conference selection. He was named to the All-Metro and All-Area teams three times and was a twice an All-State pick. Maroney was named to Tom Lemmings' All-American team and selected St. Louis Player of the Year in 2002. Maroney totaled 4,808 yards on 608 carries with 56 touchdowns in his career.

He exploded for 1,948 yards on 210 attempts his senior season with 25 touchdowns, averaging 9.3 yards per carry in 2002. Maroney also recorded 86 tackles with 20 stops for losses and 15 sacks that season. He had a career-long run of 95 yards and made 187 tackles (152 solos) with 50 stops behind the line of scrimmage, 24 sacks and six forced fumbles in his career. Maroney lettered three times in track, twice in basketball and once in baseball. He was the state champion in the 4x400 and finished third at the state finals in the 200 meters. He was MVP of his basketball team twice.

Maroney started two games as a true freshman in 2003 at Minnesota. He was selected Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Year, becoming the first Gopher since Darrell Thompson in 1986 to win that honor. The Freshman All-American teamed with Marion Barber III (1,196 yards) to become only the third running back tandem in conference history to rush for over 1,000 yards each in the same season. Maroney totaled 1,121 yards with ten scores on 162 attempts (6.9 avg). He added 413 yards and a touchdown on 16 kickoff returns (25.8 avg) and gained 1,545 all-purpose yards.

The first-team All-Big Ten choice in 2004 led the team with 217 carries for 1,348 yards (6.2 avg) and twelve touchdowns. He joined Barber III (1,269 yards) in becoming the first tandem in NCAA Division 1-A history to each run for over 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. He gained 158 yards on eight kickoff returns and amassed 1,522 all-purpose yards during the season.

In 2005, Maroney ranked fifth in the nation in rushing, averaging 133.09 yards per game, despite missing one contest and seeing limited action in several others due to an ankle sprain. He led the team with 1,464 yards and ten touchdowns on 281 tries (5.2 avg). He also became more involved in the passing game with 17 catches for 170 yards (10.0 avg) and a score to finish the year with 1,730 all-purpose yards.

In 36 games with the Gophers, Maroney started only fourteen times. But, he ranks second on the school's career-record list with 3,933 yards and 32 touchdowns on 660 rushing attempts (6.0 avg). He added 198 yards and a score on 21 receptions (9.4 avg) and 667 yards on 28 kickoff returns (23.8 avg), including a touchdown. In 710 plays, Maroney amassed 4,797 all-purpose yards, the second-best career total in Minnesota annals. He ranks second in school history with 21 100-yard rushing performances and fourth with 34 total touchdowns.

Analysis
Positives: Has good upper body muscle tone, loose hips, above average balance and an explosive second gear … Runs low in his pads and has that low center of gravity, along with lateral range to quickly redirect through the cutback lanes … Attacks the holes with a solid burst and is very deceptive along the perimeter, where he can outrun most defenders when working in space … Bounces outside with good suddenness and has the vision to pick and slide … Maintains balance and body control on the move and has that darting-and-weaving running style that will generally see the initial tackler grasping at air … Creative runner with the instincts to make proper adjustments on the move … Shows the good hand grasp, concentration and running style to keep the ball securely near his chest (no fumble issues).

Negatives: Bit undersized and does not have the lower body power to break tackles when running into traffic … Lacks the push needed to move the pile, but is too undersized to gain too much positive yardage between the tackles … Lacks a feel for route running and is not fluid trying to adjust to the off-target throws … Lets the ball absorb into his body rather than pluck and extend to catch the ball … Non-factor as a blocker, as he does not show aggression stepping up vs. the blitz and just seems to go through the motions when asked to locate and neutralize the linebackers in the second level.

Maroney is an athlete with good upper body muscle development. He has good chest thickness, tapered arms, good bubble and thick calves and quadriceps. He has above average balance and adequate strength. He is a quick-twitch type of runner with good playing speed and flashes an outstanding short burst to accelerate. He is not really a make-you-miss type of back, but does have the loose hips to adjust and elude when breaking away from the crowd.

Maroney has excellent lateral agility and good vision, showing the ability to turn the corner to gain positive yardage. His initial step generates the suddenness needed to gain advantage attacking the line of scrimmage and he bounces outside with fluid pick-and-slide agility. Maroney's deceptive speed gets him to the perimeter, where he produces a lot of his long runs because of his ability to out-run linebackers when working in space.

While he will not lose much yardage running inside, he lacks the ideal bulk and leg drive to move the pile effectively. He takes some punishment when he runs up the gut, as his power base is not enough to break tackles consistently. He runs hard and is aptly nicknamed "Lo-Mo" for his low center of gravity, but he is still a bit of an undersized back who is not going to run through defenders.

Maroney is best when he can reach the corners, where he can utilize his acceleration and burst with more effectiveness. He can make people miss once he gets into the open field, demonstrating above average acceleration out of his cuts. His second gear give him the ability to go long distances and he also has the hip wiggle and head fakes to set the defender up. He is quite efficient making the jump cut and he has the vision and slide agility to gain positive yardage past the line of scrimmage.

Maroney is more of a dart-and-weave type of runner than a power back, but has the functional strength in his hands to protect the ball with good urgency and concentration. He covers up on contact and holds the ball close to his chest when getting into the second level. In 660 carries, he put the ball on the ground only seven times, but he recovered three of those fumbles.

As a route runner, he lacks technique. Maroney has good balance, but seems to lack the hand extension to pluck the ball away from the frame. He is used mostly on screens and dump routes, but is not real fluid in his pattern stride and shows marginal ability to adjust to the off-target throws.

His blocking technique is also less than spectacular. He shows minimal aggression for blocking and will never be confused for being a face-up type. He goes through the motions in the second level when asked to cut block, but needs to step it up and not make soft attempts to neutralize the linebackers. Until he becomes a contact seeker, he will not see much playing time blocking in pass protection, as he does not take on the blitzer with good urgency.

Maroney's vision and cutting ability have given him considerable success as a big playmaker. His ability to create when the rush lanes are clogged and his explosiveness and lateral movement will see him be the type of back who can deliver the "home run" burst on a regular basis. He runs much faster than his timed speed and his second gear lets him win most foot races in the open. He will need to add more bulk and improve upon his receiving and blocking skills at the next level, but his production level is certainly impressive.

Career Notes
Became the first player in school history and only the third in Big Ten Conference annals (30th in college football history) to rush for over 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons … Joined Marion Barber III in becoming the first running back tandem from the same team to each gain over 1,000 yards rushing in consecutive seasons (2003-04) in NCAA Division 1-A annals … Despite starting only fourteen games, Maroney closed out his career second on the school's all-time record list with 3,933 yards on the ground, topped only by Darrell Thompson (4,654 yards, 1986-89) … His 660 rushing attempts tied Marion Barber III for third on Minnesota's career-record list behind Thompson (936) and Thomas Hamner (882, 1996-99) … Accounted for 32 rushing touchdowns, ranking behind Marion Barber (34, 1977-80), Marion Barber III (35) and Darrell Thompson (40) on the school's all-time record list … Rushed for over 100 yards in 21 games, topped only by Thompson's 23 on Minnesota's record books … The Gophers compiled a 16-5 record in games that Maroney ran for over 100 yards … His eight 100-yard rushing games in 2004 is a school record … His 4,797 all-purpose yards rank second in school history behind Thompson's 5,109 yards … Holds school records with sixteen consecutive games with at least one run for 20 yards or longer.

2005 Season
All-American second-team selection by the Walter Camp Foundation, adding third-team honors from The NFL Draft Report and Associated Press … Unanimous All-Big Ten Conference first-team choice … Ranked fifth in the nation in rushing (133.09 ypg) and eleventh in all-purpose yardage (157.27 ypg) … Led the team with 281 carries for 1,464 yards (5.2 avg) and ten touchdowns, despite missing the Michigan State game and being bothered in his final two contests with a lingering high ankle sprain … His 281 carries rank third on the school's single-season record list behind Thomas Hamner (308 in 1999) and Tellis Redmon (293 in 2000) … His 1,464 yards broke the old Minnesota record of 1,443 yards by Chris Darkins in 1994 … Tied his 2004 school single-season record with eight 100-yard rushing performances … Added 170 yards and a score on seventeen receptions (10.0 avg) and 96 yards on four kickoff returns (24.0 avg) … Amassed 1,730 all-purpose yards, the sixth-best season total in school annals … Fumbled twice, with the opposition recovering one of those miscues.

jhildebrand
probably two or three years from now. . .

keep hoping. . .

:D

I'm not hoping. I was wondering.

Sure he is trying to improve the team. However, each move has only made more people question his ability to evaluate talent. At some point, the moves you make have to pay off. Matt Millen made moves, CONSTANTLY, thinking he was improving the team. Detroit took too long to realize his eye for talent sucked and they paid dearly for it.

Again, how long does McD get with all of these moves before he is held responsible and acountable for those moves?

dogfish

got my big ten schools mixed up, my bad. . .

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
He did.

Dog had him at school at Wisconsin. Must have been a mistake.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not hoping. I was wondering.

Sure he is trying to improve the team. However, each move has only made more people question his ability to evaluate talent. At some point, the moves you make have to pay off. Matt Millen made moves, CONSTANTLY, thinking he was improving the team. Detroit took too long to realize his eye for talent sucked and they paid dearly for it.

Again, how long does McD get with all of these moves before he is held responsible and acountable for those moves?

Its early. But I think he bought an extra year with the Tebow trade/draft

CANHawk
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm sure Seattle would've traded you Julius Jones for one of your seconds... :pray2:

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
:tsk: Drunk?

lol

Magnificent Seven
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
UPDATE: Schefter reports Denver will get Maroney and the Patriots’ sixth-round pick in 2011, while New England will get Denver’s fourth-round pick in 2011.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Its early. But I think he bought an extra year with the Tebow trade/draft

I think you're right. However, at some point someone will realize McDaniels is mortgaging our future on moves like this. If you give away the picks, the player you are getting has to pay off. Otherwise the team is left with no player and no pick like the Phons situation. How then do you rebuild? Not only are the cupboards bare But they cant go shopping to re-stock them.

Zweems56
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
So weird. I wanted maroney or deangelo williams that year. I had a serious hard on. Not sure how I feel right now about this move. He hadn't really shown anything

spikerman
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM

meh, it doesn't matter. Let's be honest, Denver probably would have wasted that 4th round pick anyway.

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
If it was SO easy to build an NFL franchise.
If it was SO easy to win GAMES IN THE NFL.
There would NEVER be a SB CHAMPION.

spikerman
09-14-2010, 04:57 PM
If it was SO easy to build an NFL franchise.
If it was SO easy to win GAMES IN THE NFL.
There would NEVER be a SB CHAMPION.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums It's not easy, but some coaches seem to have a plan instead of what appears to be grasping at straw after straw.

broken12
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
He runs fast and hard and can catch passes. I think he will compliment Moreno

thats why he cant get on field

broken12
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
maybe shows that moreno isnt who he thought he was! another thing, buckhalter, athis shows he just flinging it seeing what sticks anymore!

ikillz0mbies
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
About time Maroney ended up in Denver. I didn't think it would be via trade though. Either way, Broncos didn't lose much and adding him doesn't hurt. It adds depth to two backs who aren't 100% and brings in a back who's familiar with McDaniels. It's win-win IMO.

weazel
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
well New England had his rights so I can see a couple of firsts and a second going their way! We just havent heard about it yet

turftoad
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
About time Maroney ended up in Denver. I didn't think it would be via trade though. Either way, Broncos didn't lose much and adding him doesn't hurt. It adds depth to two backs who aren't 100% and brings in a back who's familiar with McDaniels. It's win-win IMO.

I agree.

It's no secret that I don't care for McD and the moves he's made. However, I do like this one.
Maroney was stud comming out of Minn. He was a first round pick with first round talent.

He has good size and pretty fast. Someone mentioned that he shys away from contact. You would too if your coach made you play with dislocated sholder. Then he ended up in Bilichicks dog house because Maroney called him on it.

I don't agree that we really need another back but we got him cheap. Basically for about a 5th rounder if you think about it since we got a 6th back.

If we can allow him to get healthy he'll be a great 2 in the 1 - 2 punch with Moreno. Buck won't be around forever.

smith49
09-14-2010, 05:33 PM
i wonder if maroney can make a tackle on special teams? or maybe he can cover a te, cause he really isnt that good of a back. who knows, maybe new scenery is just what he needs. (please dont ingore my sarcasm)

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
This move just makes me even more pissed we drafted Moreno. So, basically we get a guy who is more or less a copy of Moreno for switching the 4th and 6th picks.

Great. Someone please hurry and tell me how much a stud Moreno is going to turn out to be.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Maroney himself isn't a 100%. He missed the NE opener due to a high thigh injury.

BroncoNut
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I think I'm confusing him with mendenhall whose now in Pitt. I know little about Maroney, is he a good pickup?

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
He is one of the running back by committee types from New England.

MileHighCrew
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
The only thing this says to me is panic after a week 1 loss. Not saying it is a good or bad trade, but the timing tells a story to me

Day1BroncoFan
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I think this has more to do with Bucky than Moreno, but that's just me. :whoknows:

honz
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I think many are overreacting. I don't even like Maroney, but people had been saying we had no depth at running back...well now we do. Maroney isn't gonna start stealing carries from Moreno and Bucky ain't getting cut unless he is injured again or something.

Jaws
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Moreno and Maroney.
Not since Bell and Bell have we had an RB partnership with such a nice poetic ring to it.
This pleases my cultural welsh bardic tendencies.
Potential galore.
Poetic partnership in motion mayhaps! Me hopes anyway.
Also goes nicely with Moron- should they screw up!

BroncoNut
09-14-2010, 05:59 PM
he was a high pick a few/couple years ago wasn't he? outta MINN?

SR
09-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Go back to school.

SR
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I didn't read the whole thread because the ignorance people here display on a regular basis makes me not want to post here, but I think it's kind of ironic we have Lendale White AND Moroney now because the year they were drafted they were considered the two best backs coming out of that draft.

BroncoNut
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I tell you one thing this team needs is blocking TE/WR. And I'm not shittin on the WR.

KCL
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
my balls are sweaty..... Solution, unknown.

LMAO....:lol:

oh my..that was great!!!

Lonestar
09-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Ding, DING, DING. We have winner here.

I have to say many have forgottoen the Josh has been consistent in bringing in players to improve the TEAM.
To push the starters and if we improve at all trading a 4th for a 6th and getting a former 1st rounder in the process will do that in a heart beat.

On the other hand so many piss and moan if he does something and bitch and whine if he does not. :laugh:

PAINTERDAVE
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Do I need to remind everyone about the history of RB's here in the last few years?

Injuries. More injuries. Late season injuries. Season ending injuries.

On the day that Buck or Moreno gets hammered and is pronounced...

"On the IR"...

this move will look like a stroke of genius.

It is not about Maroney as a fantastic back or a great back...
it is about a RB who can contribute and be there and give us depth at a position which,
frankly, is in major jeopordy because of our inexperienced Offensive line.

I think this move says more about how beat up the RB's are expected to be this season...
what with Beadles learning his chops on the front line.

I mean... who pays the price when Beadles let's the experienced vets through?
Not Beadles... it is the QB and the RB's that pay the price.

I doubt Buck or Moreno will survive the entire season behind this O-line.

Welcome to the cannon fodder sqaud, Mr Maroney.

BroncoNut
09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Do I need to remind everyone about the history of RB's here in the last few years?

it is about a RB who can contribute and be there and give us depth at a position which,
frankly, is in major jeaopordy because of our inexperienced Offensive line.

word

dogfish
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't read the whole thread because the ignorance people here display on a regular basis makes me not want to post here, but I think it's kind of ironic we have Lendale White AND Moroney now because the year they were drafted they were considered the two best backs coming out of that draft.

actually, reggie bush was considered the best back that year. . . ;)

by most people. . . i thought deangelo williams would be the best back of the class, and i feel like that's how it's played out. . .

Lonestar
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM

Getting that way myself.

What they'all for get is thie is a primarily Passing offense. It is called the spread for a reason as we have more WR/TE than they have DBs to cover.

The crossing patterns are meant to confuse the opponents. That is when our WR run the correct routes.

JaxBroncoGirl
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes he is. He touched the ball in meaningful games.

I agree.

He won't shine. And it would spell doom for Buckhalter, not Knowshon.

You were on the right track until you mentioned trading up to get Tebow as a positive. That was one of the worst draft picks ever made.

I find it interesting that you do not feel Tebow is a good fit and yet we go after a mediocre RB. As a new fan, I am just learning the Broncos system and FO and players but what I am seeing is some questionable FA picks and trades. I felt the game on Sunday was a good game however, we are talking about playing the Jaguars which lets face it they are not a stellar team. I felt Orton played well but that is just about it. With all due respect, you have not really seen the upside in Tebow, he can run, throw and make good decisions once he gets playing time under his belt you will see the leadership qualities he has you will also notice he will make plays when the actual play breaks down. It makes me wonder why you would not like a leader on the Broncos roster. I find that Orton has strength but the guy cannot move fast at all. If our OL is weak then we need Tebow to make the plays when the line breaks down.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Why did we not just sign westbrook :(

I've never like Maroney

Buff
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Maybe tone down the hyperbole until the kid has had a chance to start a game?

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Ding, DING, DING. We have winner here.

I have to say many have forgottoen the Josh has been consistent in bringing in players to improve the TEAM.
To push the starters and if we improve at all trading a 4th for a 6th and getting a former 1st rounder in the process will do that in a heart beat.

On the other hand so many piss and moan if he does something and bitch and whine if he does not. :laugh:

The only problem with your theory is that he hasn't improved the team...

I find it interesting that you do not feel Tebow is a good fit and yet we go after a mediocre RB. As a new fan, I am just learning the Broncos system and FO and players but what I am seeing is some questionable FA picks and trades. I felt the game on Sunday was a good game however, we are talking about playing the Jaguars which lets face it they are not a stellar team. I felt Orton played well but that is just about it. With all due respect, you have not really seen the upside in Tebow, he can run, throw and make good decisions once he gets playing time under his belt you will see the leadership qualities he has you will also notice he will make plays when the actual play breaks down. It makes me wonder why you would not like a leader on the Broncos roster. I find that Orton has strength but the guy cannot move fast at all. If our OL is weak then we need Tebow to make the plays when the line breaks down.

I never said I didn't want a leader. I think Kyle Orton is a fine leader for our offense, and Champ and Dawk are as good at leading a defense as anyone in the NFL.

I've stated my opinion on Tebow many times, usually to be attacked by the same people who probably thought Mike Vick was a top-5 QB on the Falcons. Did anyone watch Vick in the Eagles game? He was running all over the field and getting the fans excited, while at the same time disguising the fact that he can't make reads or throw accurately. This is what you can expect from Tebow in the NFL, and he's not even as good a runner as Vick.

dogfish
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
so, buff. . . seen any good movies lately?

Buff
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
so, buff. . . seen any good movies lately?

Don't derail this Tim Tebow thread Dog.

Oh, wait...

JaxBroncoGirl
09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
The only problem with your theory is that he hasn't improved the team...

I never said I didn't want a leader. I think Kyle Orton is a fine leader for our offense, and Champ and Dawk are as good at leading a defense as anyone in the NFL.

I've stated my opinion on Tebow many times, usually to be attacked by the same people who probably thought Mike Vick was a top-5 QB on the Falcons. Did anyone watch Vick in the Eagles game? He was running all over the field and getting the fans excited, while at the same time disguising the fact that he can't make reads or throw accurately. This is what you can expect from Tebow in the NFL, and he's not even as good a runner as Vick.

Again with respect, you are way off on this. I guess that is why I named my boat "Will Sea", I believe you are way off on this one, yet I respect your opinion. Orton cannot move fast and our OL is well, we need help. You will see the winner in Tebow and you will also see the adaptability he has when the play breaks down.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Let's see - the original intent of this thread was - OH YEAH - Maroney traded to Denver -

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Again with respect, you are way off on this. I guess that is why I named my boat "Will Sea", I believe you are way off on this one, yet I respect your opinion. Orton cannot move fast and our OL is well, we need help. You will see the winner in Tebow and you will also see the adaptability he has when the play breaks down.

It would be pretty pointless to keep this discussion going, as it's as simple as you think Tebow will be a good NFL QB and I don't. We'll see who's right eventually, and if Tebow becomes the starter here then I hope it's you.

I will add, though, that our line just needs to get healthy. I just pray that Clady will be the same soon...I really don't think we should have rushed him back like that.

claymore
09-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Let's see - the original intent of this thread was - OH YEAH - Maroney traded to Denver -

I think we could have done worse with the 4th round pick.

KCL
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM

now carol...you know all it takes is one word to get a thread off topic...:D

honz
09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
:focus:

Maroney sucks.

Buff
09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
:focus:

Maroney sucks.

I've been trolling the enemy boards and was able to decode their lexicon. So if you like him, he is LoMo, if you don't, he is SloMo.

This has been a public service announcement intended for the "McDipShit" crowd brought to you by Buff.

nevcraw
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I would have been ecstatic with this trade if Shanny and Bobby T. were still steering the WC / ZBS ship but now it's another average player on team with more average players than above average.

the only NE player I have been hoping for is Mankins. He and Clady would kill some shit on that left side.

How this will help the team score or win games remains a complete mistery

Nomad
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I hope he works out for the BRONCOS and becomes a playmaker!!

Lonestar
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM

We all saw how bad it was to have a rookie start at QB in 06 when jay replaced Jake.

Not sure any LOGICAL fan wants to have a rookie step in till he is ready. Most thar exprienced that time are not looking forward to the "he will give us the best chance to win" speech again.

We all know that coaches like to get new toys on the field ASAP. But regardless of how good he was in college he is not ready for NFL speed yet.

However disappointing that is for you it is less for those of us that have seen it over the years Decades in some cases.

Tebow time is coming but hopefully not till next year at the soonest and the year after at the latest.

Softskull
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Injuries. More injuries. Late season injuries. Season ending injuries.

On the day that Buck or Moreno gets hammered and is pronounced...

"On the IR"...

this move will look like a stroke of genius.

It is not about Maroney as a fantastic back or a great back...
frankly, is in major jeopordy because of our inexperienced Offensive line.

I think this move says more about how beat up the RB's are expected to be this season...
what with Beadles learning his chops on the front line.

I mean... who pays the price when Beadles let's the experienced vets through?
Not Beadles... it is the QB and the RB's that pay the price.

I doubt Buck or Moreno will survive the entire season behind this O-line.

Welcome to the cannon fodder sqaud, Mr Maroney.

I hear ya. But if LoMo is just fresh meat to throw at the hoard of defenders that will be schooling our new O-Line, why get someone for a fourth rounder? Why not pick up one of the many free agents out there right now? Maybe someone younger and less prone to injury.

Traveler
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Without reading through 9 pages, do we know who got cut to make room for Maroney?

ursamajor
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
maroney plays like a guy who's afraid of contact.

I remember a game a few years back-07 I believe...Where Maroney was running off tackle. As soon as he came around his blockers hip, Urlacher was dead in front of him, waiting. Maroney backpedaled, and tried to reverse field behind the line.

shank
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I remember a game a few years back-07 I believe...Where Maroney was running off tackle. As soon as he came around his blockers hip, Urlacher was dead in front of him, waiting. Maroney backpedaled, and tried to reverse field behind the line.
cool story bro

TXBRONC
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Imo Buckhalter is the more vunerable player.

ursamajor
09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm sure Seattle would've traded you Julius Jones for one of your seconds... :pray2:

They could have signed the better brother for free this past off season.

ursamajor
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
cool story bro

No thumbs up?

Seriously though, I remember that play every time I think of Maroney.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Without reading through 9 pages, do we know who got cut to make room for Maroney?

No one -

@Adam_Schefter: For RB Maroney, New England gets Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011 and Denver gets New England's sixth-round pick in 2011.

TXBRONC
09-14-2010, 09:32 PM
No one -

Carol they had to let someone go otherwise they would have 54 on the active roster rather.

broncophan
09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I like the trade....I think we just improved our team....imo...

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
because the ignorance people here display on a regular basis makes me not want to post here.

But you grace us anyway ;)

broncophan
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM

I hope it was McBean...................

TXBRONC
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM

It wasn't.

Worrell Williams is who I read was waived.

spikerman
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Worrell Williams was on the practice squad so I don't think he would be the one.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I like this move. I'm going to school at UMass and Pats fans are rejoicing that Maroney is gone. Honestly he was done in NE, but I feel like this could work out for us well. The guy has decent size and could compliment Moreno's running style well. I like the move we only gave up a 4th rounder and got a 6th back so it's not like we traded the house for the guy. I've always thought Buckhalter was a good RB even when he was in Philly but he's an injury waiting to happen, and he likes to fumble the ball. He still is worth keeping around. I like the fact that McD has worked with Maroney before as well, he knows exactly what he's getting with him. I'm really excited about this move. Although it doesn't make us front runners for the Super Bowl or top seeds by any means, it puts us on the right track

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
It wasn't.

Worrell Williams is who I read was waived.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16073675

This does not say who, just moves:

Roster moves

The Broncos reached an injury settlement with wide receiver Brandon Stokley and he was formally released off the team's injured reserve list today.

Defensive lineman Lionel Dotson was signed by the Miami Dolphins off the Broncos practice squad. The Broncos also released linebacker Worrell Williams from the practice squad - D.J. Williams' brother.

Defensive lineman Jeff Stehle, who was with the Broncos in training camp, and linebacker Titus Brown were signed to the practice squad.

Or, maybe they are waiting on this:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Backfield-Gets-a-Boost/7995d50d-19c6-40b1-9bd7-1c7a1d0002b6

The Broncos acquired Laurence Maroney and an undisclosed pick in the 2011 NFL Draft in exchange for an undisclosed choice in the 2011 NFL Draft in a trade with New England Patriots on Tuesday. The deal is pending Maroney passing a physical.

TXBRONC
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Worrell Williams was on the practice squad so I don't think he would be the one.

Are practice squader considered waived when they're let go?

broncogirl7
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I think it's a good move. He's got some potential and he's progressively missed less games due to injuries each year. Will be interested to see who they will cut or if they will put some on IR?

KCL
09-14-2010, 10:13 PM

No I think he's a keeper.

broncophan
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
No I think he's a keeper.

I am afraid you are right...lol

broncogirl7
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm mad at McBean, but I still think he's got potential.

broncophan
09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm mad at McBean, but I still think he's got potential.

yea.....I am just not very "forgiving" for 2 dumbass defensive penalties on one series....and I am surprised that McDaniels would be......as emotional as he gets.....

Bosco
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
yea.....I am just not very "forgiving" for 2 dumbass defensive penalties on one series....and I am surprised that McDaniels would be......as emotional as he gets.....

The 2nd one was a very ticky tack call. Under the old rules it would have been a 5 yarder, which means it shouldn't even have been called.

I'm happy with the trade for Maroney. I think a fresh start will be good for him and we'll get some decent production out of him.

Buff
09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Not the most reliable sources, but Josina Anderson and the Mile High Report were speculating that C-Buck might be the RB to get cut once Maroney passes his physical tomorrow. Or IR'd w/ injury settlement like Stokley because of his back.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Why cut C-Buck? The guy sucks, but he's the second best RB on the team and not the worst. If they are going to cut a RB why not cut the worst (wohever #3 is), and slide C-Buck down to #3.

Buff
09-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Why cut C-Buck? The guy sucks, but he's the second best RB on the team and not the worst. If they are going to cut a RB why not cut the worst (wohever #3 is), and slide C-Buck down to #3.

That's my thinking as well, but MHR was making the case that injuries have eroded the coaching staff's faith in him... And Josina Anderson said Buck was dealing w/ a protruding disk in his back prior to his training camp injury.

Elevation inc
09-15-2010, 01:59 AM
1 of the things im starting to notice is MCd gets very trigger happy on trades the minute something comes up he doesnt like, patience is def not his forte for sure....maybe there is a a tad bit of desperation there.....not so sure why the maroney move but for what we gave up im not overally dissapointed....I like maroney better than ball; and andre brown so i guess thats a bit of improvement maybe.....

alot can be made about his draft chocies and what not but i wonder why the hell he didnt just draft a RB this past draft, he knew we needed one......seems he forgets about something during the draft then gets trigger happy with trades during the season to find that stop gap solution he wouldnt have needed had he perhaps gotten a young guy in the draft.....same thing when he went after Hochstein, and le Kevin smith......its gonna be a learning curve, but if this is a every year deal even im not blind to the effect that will have in a negative way on the franchise.....i like he is always trying to improve if there is something he doesnt like, but perhaps they need to do a better job of figuring out exactly what they need in the draft before these issues pop up. I know he loves tebow and Im fine with that.dont even mind the pick that much....but thats a perfect example of a luxury pick in the first we may not have needed with Some Dl depth and RB and LB issues that were more important, granted im not sure anyone expected kyle ortons play to change for the better the way it has either.....

i dont know i like MCd but some of the this new FO's Decisions with trades are just as much of head scratchers as some of shanny's.....it weird.......

bcbronc
09-15-2010, 04:34 AM
pretty meh on Maroney, but no problem with the trade itself. I mean if a 4th rounder gave us the kind of production Maroney gave last season (750yds, 9tds rushing) we'd all be pretty happy. add a 6th in and it's a good low risk, high reward deal.

I'm not expecting a pro-bowler, but between Moreno, Buck and Maroney, someone has to be healthy any given week, right.

EastCoastBronco
09-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Maroney is a tough runner IF he's healthy. The Pats never let anyone go without a reason.

Nomad
09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Will he get to play Sunday if he passes the physical??

Thnikkaman
09-15-2010, 08:17 AM

#3 is Lance Ball
#4 is Andre Brown

Two Rooks that are learning the pace of the game. From what I saw from Ball in the preseason, I'd pull a Claymore if JMcD cut him. I also don't think you cut an essentially Red Shirt Rookie for an aging RB with back problems.

Mike
09-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Andre Brown released

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Andre-Brown-released-by-Broncos.html

BroncoNut
09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Pretty much anyone released is done so for a reason. who's available at what time is the name of the game. Decent pickup, we needed another running back. Let's see what he will do here. the position might be worth addressing in 11 draft, depending on the class. That is where I stand on this issue

BigDaddyBronco
09-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Andre Brown had turf toe right? That is a tough injury to overcome during a season. He was the right one to go.

claymore
09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Andre Brown had turf toe right? That is a tough injury to overcome during a season. He was the right one to go.

I would have accepted Andre Brown or Brady Quinn as the correct asnwer. :D

Thnikkaman
09-15-2010, 08:47 AM

He looked like he was one of the Giant's castoffs, so I don't feel about that. I would be a :mad: claymore if they let Ball go.

ydave77
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Sorry for the lack of formatting excellence. But lets not go around crushing a trade when all we really gave up was the value of a 5th rder. But those who want to pretend we gave up a 4th, and didnt get back a 6th. I'm not saying we need to piss away 4ths, but Maroney is not a complete slouch.
He will help spell Moreno, while Buck either gets in shape, or doesnt. He rushed for 750 yrds, and 9 tds on limited carries last yr. And all we gave up is a pick in a round where 3yrs later, most of the guys won't even be in the league. (Used 2007 draft, for the whole takes 3 yrs to evaluate a draft concept).

100 Michael Bush RB Louisville Oakland Raiders
101 Adam Podlesh P Maryland Jacksonville Jaguars
102 Brian Robison DE Texas Minnesota Vikings
103 Isaiah Stanback WR Washington Dallas
104 Jay Moore LB Nebraska San Francisco 49ers
105 A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State Detroit Lions
106 Tanard Jackson FS Syracuse Tampa
107 Antonio Pittman RB Ohio State New
108 Paul Soliai DT Utah Miami Dolphins
109 Stephen Nicholas LB South Florida Atlanta
110 John Bowie CB Cincinnati Oakland Raiders
111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State Buffalo Bills
112 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor Pittsburgh
113 Brian Smith DE Missouri Jacksonville Jaguars
114 Marvin White SAF Texas Christian Cincinnati
115 Leroy Harris C North Carolina State Titans
116 Zak DeOssie LB Brown New York Giants
117 Manny Ramirez G Texas Tech Detroit Lions
118 Ryne Robinson WR Miami (Ohio) Panthers
119 Allen Barbre G Missouri Southern Packers
120 Baraka Atkins DE Miami (Fla.) Seahawks
121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida Denver Broncos
122 Doug Free OT Northern Illinois Cowboys
123 Fred Bennett CB South Carolina Texans
124 Mansfield Wrotto G Georgia Tech Seahawks
125 Jermon Bushrod T Towson Saints
126 Dashon Goldson SAF Washington 49ers
127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.) Patriots
128 Chris Davis WR Florida State Titans
129 Scott Chandler TE Iowa Chargers
130 Josh Beekman G Boston College Chicago Bears
131 Brannon Condren DB Troy State Colts
132 Ryan McBean DE Oklahoma State Steelers
133 Martrez Milner TE Georgia Atlanta Falcons
134 Antwan Barnes LB Florida Ravens
135 Joe Cohen DT Florida San Francisco 49ers
136 Clint Session LB Pittsburgh Indianapolis Colts
137 Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama Baltimore Ravens

broncophan
09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Maroney is a tough runner IF he's healthy. The Pats never let anyone go without a reason.

lol...not sure what you are saying here......I think every team lets players go for one reason or another....

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Just when I thought Mcd had learned his lesson about taking in New England rejects he pulls this trade off. I can help but think Belechick and gang sit back and laugh at Mcd at this point. He's like a niave little kid that believes anything you tell him.
I can tell some of you know nothing about Maroney as a pro. He sucked in NE on a better team than we have now. Better QB, better line and he still sucked. No reason to think that will change in Denver and I'll bet he won't even be on the roster in 2011 yet I bet our 4th round draft pick will be on NE's. Xanders and Mcd are clearly clueless when it comes to the running game.

broncophan
09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Just when I thought Mcd had learned his lesson about taking in New England rejects he pulls this trade off. I can help but think Belechick and gang sit back and laugh at Mcd at this point. He's like a niave little kid that believes anything you tell him.
I can tell some of you know nothing about Maroney as a pro. He sucked in NE on a better team than we have now. Better QB, better line and he still sucked. No reason to think that will change in Denver and I'll bet he won't even be on the roster in 2011 yet I bet our 4th round draft pick will be on NE's. Xanders and Mcd are clearly clueless when it comes to the running game.

this is the last year of his contract......it is not a stretch to think this may be his only year here......I would imagine it depends on how he plays while he is here....:confused:......that is not hard to understand.

Maroney didn't do that bad in NE......not much of a risk.....hope it works out for the broncos.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
this is the last year of his contract......it is not a stretch to think this may be his only year here......I would imagine it depends on how he plays while he is here....:confused:......that is not hard to understand.

Maroney didn't do that bad in NE......not much of a risk.....hope it works out for the broncos.

Didn't do that bad? He sucked, there is a reason the fans were calling for his head and are laughing and celebrating this trade as if they ripped us off. I hope he does turn it around here, I liked him in college he just has sucked as a pro and like our other backs is proned to getting hurt.

Dzone
09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Maroney, if he can get healthy, should be better than buckhalter

broncophan
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Didn't do that bad? He sucked, there is a reason the fans were calling for his head and are laughing and celebrating this trade as if they ripped us off. I hope he does turn it around here, I liked him in college he just has sucked as a pro and like our other backs is pronbe to getting hurt.

lol....why do you say he sucked??

Yea....he has not had a 1500 yard season or anything.....not many backs do...

and if the pats fans want to think they "ripped us off ".by improving from 6th to 4th in the draft.....well ok then....but I would think they would know better..

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Didn't do that bad? He sucked, there is a reason the fans were calling for his head and are laughing and celebrating this trade as if they ripped us off. I hope he does turn it around here, I liked him in college he just has sucked as a pro and like our other backs is pronbe to getting hurt.

194 FOR 757 Yrds with around 4 yrds per carry is not bad on any team in the NFL. He runs great. Its his injury issues that have me a bit concerned.
I think with the situation with Moreno, which no one including MCD could have forseen, DEN did what it had to do. Moreno's injury, and his clear inability to get to the next level because he has no strength to explode through the LOS has to be addressed.
Maroney was the best option out there.

Sure, we all would have loved to see DEN trade for Ronnie Brown, but this isnt Broncomania, madden world.
DEN did what it had to do, and if you watched the JAX/DEN game, it was obvious that a RB was needed. MAroney knows the system, so theres no lapse in learning to be productive for hm. Hes a plug and play player.
Thats why they did the trade.
However, i am a bit leary of just thinking he will be great. We'll see.
But he does not suck, bro.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
1 of the things im starting to notice is MCd gets very trigger happy on trades the minute something comes up he doesnt like, patience is def not his forte for sure....maybe there is a a tad bit of desperation there.....

That is why I suggested the idea that he may be feeling some heat to win now.

To me, this move doesn't pass the sniff test. It smells like a move of a desperate coach and why would he be so desperate if he truly KNOWS he has more time? :confused:

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 10:12 AM
194 FOR 757 Yrds with around 4 yrds per carry is not bad on any team in the NFL. He runs great. Its his injury issues that have me a bit concerned.
I think with the situation with Moreno, which no one including MCD could have forseen, DEN did what it had to do. Moreno's injury, and his clear inability to get to the next level because he has no strength to explode through the LOS has to be addressed.

Let's also remember that NE has a much better O line and QB. Oh and they have two WR's that D coordinators fret over.

MAroney knows the system, so theres no lapse in learning to be productive for hm. Hes a plug and play player.
Thats why they did the trade.

Well that should be one less excuse from the McD apologist crowd should he fail.

broncophan
09-15-2010, 10:17 AM

To me, this move doesn't pass the sniff test. It smells like a move of a desperate coach and why would he be so desperate if he truly KNOWS he has more time? :confused:

not desperate yet......I don't think this move would have happened if White did not get hurt.

desperate??......when Tebow starts....then we can talk desperate.....unless we start out 1-6.....then it would just be throwing away the season.

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Let's also remember that NE has a much better O line and QB. Oh and they have two WR's that D coordinators fret over.

Well that should be one less excuse from the McD apologist crowd should he fail.

You can make all kinds of comparisons to where a player came from, but the bottom line is DEN needed a RB, and they needed one who knows the system. Look, i dont think its a perfect trade, but for cryin out loud, DEN RBs have been absolutely cursed! this offseason!
Its not like MCD didnt go way outta his way to address this issue and put a strong RB corps in place. I woulda liked to see a young, late round RB taken too, but injuries happen to young and old, and this team has been just absolutely decimated by injuries this offseason. And it really shows at RB. I dont know if you watched the game on Sun, but the running game was just not there.
The white injury really killed any momentum DEN had going into the reg season. I dont blame this on MCD. Injuries happen.
But i think MCD should be held responsible for Maroney one way or the other.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
not desperate yet......I don't think this move would have happened if White did not get hurt.

Agreed! I almost called SOCOLORADO out by saying the preseason was the time to address this but remembered the addition of White. He nor Harris should be hurt. I don't know how McD didn't see there was no real potential for good by playing those guys in the 4th preseason game.

desperate??......when Tebow starts....then we can talk desperate.....unless we start out 1-6.....then it would just be throwing away the season.

I only say desperate because if McD truly knows he has another season or two for certain regardless of record, then why make this move? I would think draft picks would come at a premium!!!!

Once Tebow is in that will be to see the what the future may hold and to prep him just like Cutler. It may also be a move by McD to save his ass too, so you are right!

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
You can make all kinds of comparisons to where a player came from, but the bottom line is DEN needed a RB, and they needed one who knows the system.

I don't disagree. I just don't want the system to be an excuse should he fail here. I don't want the ardent McDaniels supporters to claim that now the system is so vastly different than in NE.

Look, i dont think its a perfect trade, but for cryin out loud, DEN RBs have been absolutely cursed! this offseason!

I would say this season and going back to when Shanahan had 8 go down :eek:

Its not like MCD didnt go way outta his way to address this issue and put a strong RB corps in place. I woulda liked to see a young, late round RB taken too, but injuries happen to young and old, and this team has been just absolutely decimated by injuries this offseason. And it really shows at RB. I dont know if you watched the game on Sun, but the running game was just not there.

I don't know. I thought Moreno was running pretty well. My problem is McDaniels simply doesn't run enough and he doesn't do enough at the beginning of the game to establish the run. Teams know we are going to come out and pass.

The white injury really killed any momentum DEN had going into the reg season. I dont blame this on MCD. Injuries happen.

Agreed. I only blame McD for playing Harris and White, guys who know the NFL, in the 4th preseason game. It was a bone headed move. I don't see there being too much good that could have come from that. We now know the bad that could come from it.

But i think MCD should be held responsible for Maroney one way or the other.

How so?

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't disagree. I just don't want the system to be an excuse should he fail here. I don't want the ardent McDaniels supporters to claim that now the system is so vastly different than in NE.

I would say this season and going back to when Shanahan had 8 go down :eek:

I don't know. I thought Moreno was running pretty well. My problem is McDaniels simply doesn't run enough and he doesn't do enough at the beginning of the game to establish the run. Teams know we are going to come out and pass.

Agreed. I only blame McD for playing Harris and White, guys who know the NFL, in the 4th preseason game. It was a bone headed move. I don't see there being too much good that could have come from that. We now know the bad that could come from it.

How so?
I agree with you that if Moreno fails, MCD should be held responsible for his actions. Shanny has done more with less, so why cant another coach? I am not totally sold on just trading when someone goes down. I will wait until the end of the season to judge this trade. Like i said, We'll see.
I also agree with the playing these guys into the 4th in a preseason game. Dumb.
I watched TEN play all their starters in the 1st game of the season, with a 28 point lead against OAK in the 4th. WTF!?!?

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I would suggest you guys watch more Patriot games so you see the scrubs play there before making thier way here.

I had two calls and two emails from "real" Patriot fans and each was estatic about Maroney being gone and laughed about Mcd repeating the same mistakes.

Our running game did not get better with this aquisition and our draft got weaker in 2011. We would have been better off with a free agent than to make this trade.

broncophan
09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I would suggest you guys watch more Patriot games so you see the scrubs play there before making thier way here.

I had two calls and two emails from "real" Patriot fans and each was estatic about Maroney being gone and laughed about Mcd repeating the same mistakes.

Our running game did not get better with this aquisition and our draft got weaker in 2011. We would have been better off with a free agent than to make this trade.

not a pats fan....but the last few years they sure have been on tv alot....and yea....I have seen them play alot. If Maroney and our other backs stay healthy....it will help us.....if not....we didn't lose much.

Nomad
09-15-2010, 11:08 AM

I enjoy watching Wes Welker!! Let's just say hopefully Maroney finds new life here and your buddies will choke on their envy of his success!!

**Disclaimer** If the BRONCOS don't improve by game 10-12 then you'll see a drastic change in my attitude!!:D

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
1 of the things im starting to notice is MCd gets very trigger happy on trades the minute something comes up he doesnt like, patience is def not his forte for sure....maybe there is a a tad bit of desperation there.....not so sure why the maroney move but for what we gave up im not overally dissapointed....I like maroney better than ball; and andre brown so i guess thats a bit of improvement maybe.....

alot can be made about his draft chocies and what not but i wonder why the hell he didnt just draft a RB this past draft, he knew we needed one......seems he forgets about something during the draft then gets trigger happy with trades during the season to find that stop gap solution he wouldnt have needed had he perhaps gotten a young guy in the draft.....same thing when he went after Hochstein, and le Kevin smith......its gonna be a learning curve, but if this is a every year deal even im not blind to the effect that will have in a negative way on the franchise.....i like he is always trying to improve if there is something he doesnt like, but perhaps they need to do a better job of figuring out exactly what they need in the draft before these issues pop up. I know he loves tebow and Im fine with that.dont even mind the pick that much....but thats a perfect example of a luxury pick in the first we may not have needed with Some Dl depth and RB and LB issues that were more important, granted im not sure anyone expected kyle ortons play to change for the better the way it has either.....

i dont know i like MCd but some of the this new FO's Decisions with trades are just as much of head scratchers as some of shanny's.....it weird.......

FWIW perhaps they beleived they had the long term replacements on the TEAM for DL draft day. Then those players failed to progress during that time and now. I know that most everyone was hoping that baker would step up to his potential. As for green at th time he was acquired most thought he was an upgrade yet only fed the fire to cause the guy he was to replace to get better.

Everyone that blames Josh for being poor at evaluating talent. Ever think that it also may be his scouts and position coaches that have not been spot on. Yes Josh is ultimatey responsible.

As far as this latest trade unless he has been permenantly damaged this is a steal for a 4th minus 6th round choice.

And just perhaps they are afraid that moreno or bucky are not going to heal soon.

Finally they may have been working on this trade for months and the price finally became right. With the asking price being a 2 intially. Anyone at all doubt that this was not just a whim but someone he has liked since he coached him.

Northman
09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Here's pretty much how i look at it.

We needed another back regardless because we just cant stay healthy. Maroney may not be that much of a step up but we still needed another body and McD is familiar with him so who knows how he will perform.

With that said, its pretty telling that NE would rather stay with a guy like Taylor who is older and has fought the injury bug as well over a guy younger than him. And lets not fool ourselves here, BB doesnt have a lovefest for his former asst. coaches so he's going to try and dump players off anyway he can and right now McD is eagerly taking what he can get no matter how bad the player may be.

In the end, McD will either succeed or fail with this philosophy.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM

In your fondest dreams. The only heat he is feeling is his desire to make the TEAM bettr and win.

If you believe that Pat is going to play musical chairs with HC your sadly mistaken. Had he promoted Dennison perhaps it would be, Like promoting wade did way back.

Pat made a commitment to a total overhaul moving away from a scheme that had its day but had failed for a decade or more. He and his cabal decided that Josh was the guy and barring a total meltdown and a player revolt he will be here another three years or more while building a winner.

Traveler
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm one of JMFMcD's biggest supporters. Having said that, if what you listed above is the philosophy, he's setting himself up to FAIL!

Not everyones trash turns out to be someone else's treasure.

Northman
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
In your fondest dreams. The only heat he is feeling is his desire to make the TEAM bettr and win.

If you believe that Pat is going to play musical chairs with HC your sadly mistaken. Had he promoted Dennison perhaps it would be, Like promoting wade did way back.

Pat made a commitment to a total overhaul moving away from a scheme that had its day but had failed for a decade or more. He and his cabal decided that Josh was the guy and barring a total meltdown and a player revolt he will be here another three years or more while building a winner.

Well, who knows really. Phillips only got a year or so to try and right the ship. And again, going by Bowlen's statements he wants to be back in the playoffs and at no point did he say he was willing to wait 3-5 years to get there. It could happen, but its not like Bowlen has been afraid to pull the plug if need be. Heck, some thought he would never fire Shanny either.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM

You can speculate all you want, JRwiz. Just as I am doing. However, at least have the decency to answer the questions I have posed as to stating your opinion as if it is fact.

I have a hunch, based on some of the new deals that have been handed out recently, that the owners know there wont be a lockout. If that is the case, then that probably changes how he is viewing this season.

At some point this team has to quit blowing picks. We are in this hole because Shanahan didn't draft well and there was nothing on the roster in the way of those picks. How is this any different? :confused:

Also, IIRC, the mantra regarding bringing in someone else's cast off was always: "they're letting them go for a reason." But now I am supposed to be stoked about picking up Maroney. I am supposed to be excited by that trade DESPITE everyone decrying the O line as the RB's issues? :confused:

Seems to me if the O line is truly the issue, we would be doing more in the way of the O line.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, who knows really. Phillips only got a year or so to try and right the ship. And again, going by Bowlen's statements he wants to be back in the playoffs and at no point did he say he was willing to wait 3-5 years to get there. It could happen, but its not like Bowlen has been afraid to pull the plug if need be. Heck, some thought he would never fire Shanny either.

We all know that if mike had not been who Pat had wanted in the first place. Had mike not wanted total control he would have been hired instead of wade.

We also know that wade is a great DC but an epic fail at HC as DAL has found out the only reason he is still there is jerry can have his way with him and he lacks the backbone to standup to him.
Wade shiuld be a DC somewhere not a HC and just maybe nxt year after jerry figures out he needs a dynamic HC.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Like it. Like it a lot. Nice solid signing.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Let me add Pat belives in this kid and his scheme or he would not have backed those moves he has made. With the worst that has happened was last years "rookie" mistakes comments.

That said he would have NEVER allowed the Tebow pick if he was not 100% behond him as that was at the time a 2 to 3 year project that EVERYONE knew going in.

Northman
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
We all know that if mike had not been who Pat had wanted in the first place. Had mike not wanted total control he would have been hired instead of wade.

We also know that wade is a great DC but an epic fail at HC as DAL has found out the only reason he is still there is jerry can have his way with him and he lacks the backbone to standup to him.
Wade shiuld be a DC somewhere not a HC and just maybe nxt year after jerry figures out he needs a dynamic HC.

I totally agree on Wade but back then no one knew how he would be as HC.

underrated29
09-15-2010, 12:00 PM
If we did not lose the first game against Jax, no one would be thinking that joshMFmdc is on the hot seat, or that this is a desperation move because he is feeling the heat.

If we won that game 3 days ago, people would be saying ok, nice solid move. Added some depth, for a nothing pick.

But now because we lost, this is a desperation move, bowlen is fueling the fire, and mfmcd is sitting in the pot right now....Silly this is, silly.

Josh is not feeling any heat, and the FO is not going to start radically making changes because we lost one game. Another question, had this move been made before the game would you think the same? Or had we won would you think the same? I really seriously doubt it.

dogfish
09-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Seems to me if the O line is truly the issue, we would be doing more in the way of the O line.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2530/cmonman.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/cmonman.jpg/)

we drafted three offensive linemen, how much more do you want them to do?

:lol::lol:

how about we give 'em a few games? they might still have room for improvement!

Mike
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
With that said, its pretty telling that NE would rather stay with a guy like Taylor who is older and has fought the injury bug as well over a guy younger than him. And lets not fool ourselves here, BB doesnt have a lovefest for his former asst. coaches so he's going to try and dump players off anyway he can and right now McD is eagerly taking what he can get no matter how bad the player may be.

I think indicates that Belicheck wasn't going to sign Maroney to a new contract next year and decided to get something for him now. That is his MO.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Let me add Pat belives in this kid and his scheme or he would not have backed those moves he has made. With the worst that has happened was last years "rookie" mistakes comments.

That said he would have NEVER allowed the Tebow pick if he was not 100% behond him as that was at the time a 2 to 3 year project that EVERYONE knew going in.

I wonder how it will play out if we end up picking in the top 5 and a better QB is available?

Ravage!!!
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM

You are going to have to choose your side of the fence.

Is Bowlen a meddling owner or one that has shown to give control to his coaches?

Pat doesn't sit in the war room and dictate who is drafted and who is not. Thats not his style, and it never has been. Thats why he hands the control over to a young 32, first year HC, coach. Because he (Bowlen) doesn't want to be the one doing the work and be an Al Davis. Not to mention he wouldn't even have to be 100% behind anything to "allow" the move for Tebow. If he's giving his coach complete control (and he has)... then even if he was 50-50 on the idea of taking Tebow, do you think he would veto a 50-50 call when the guy he pays to do what he doesn't want to do wants him?

So please, don't make it sound as if every draft pick and move went through Bowlen. It doesn't.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I wonder how it will play out if we end up picking in the top 5 and a better QB is available?

Unfortunately there aren't any elite QB's in college this year. The best is probably Jake Locker, and no way in hell do I want to be stuck with him, with/without Tebow.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
we drafted three offensive linemen, how much more do you want them to do?

how about we give 'em a few games? they might still have room for improvement!

I have no problem with that. I am simply stating that Maroney may be just as ineffective with people claiming the O line is the problem. :coffee:

Furthermore, I like the draft picks on the O line and the decision to play them. However, if they are the problem as SO MANY have stated, just how exactly, is Maroney going to be better? Why? If it is an O line issue and them learning to play, then I would suspect the results would be the same for most RB's. If that truly works out to be the case, then why lose the draft picks? After all, it could very well work out that the picks and Maroney are both gone at season's end. Seems to me the best option is deal with the growing pains and have some picks.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
New England has a better Oline than Denver does and Maroney couldn't do anything behind that line running the same scheme.

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
New England has a better Oline than Denver does and Maroney couldn't do anything behind that line running the same scheme.

We dont understand why you keep posting this.
194 ATT 757 YRDS About 4.0 yards per carry last year.
These are solid #s for this offense.
Relax.

turftoad
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I have no problem with that. I am simply stating that Maroney may be just as ineffective with people claiming the O line is the problem. :coffee:

Furthermore, I like the draft picks on the O line and the decision to play them. However, if they are the problem as SO MANY have stated, just how exactly, is Maroney going to be better? Why? If it is an O line issue and them learning to play, then I would suspect the results would be the same for most RB's. If that truly works out to be the case, then why lose the draft picks? After all, it could very well work out that the picks and Maroney are both gone at season's end. Seems to me the best option is deal with the growing pains and have some picks.

We gave up a 4th rounder and got a 6th back, no big deal. Worth the shot IMO.

Jaws
09-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I can understand that in the eyes of Pats fans he sucked. He never lived up to those expectactions and his production was never spectacular.
But with our injury prone Running Backs and it's somewhat anaemic productivity in recent times I'd say someone who can rush for 750 yards, get a 100 or so receiving and 9 TD's on top of that is a pretty valuable addition to a season.

BroncoNut
09-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I actually like Buckhalter. I think we got good return on him.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM

I already made that point along with better QB and WR's not to mention a true deep threat. Somehow that fell on deaf ears. :lol:

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Have they announced who is being cut for this trade yet?

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
We dont understand why you keep posting this.
194 ATT 757 YRDS About 4.0 yards per carry last year.
These are solid #s for this offense.
Relax.

Because we don't have NE's stability at line, their QB, their WR's, and a DEF close to them. Those were his numbers with all of that! So we are to expect the same here? :confused: Why?

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Have they announced who is being cut for this trade yet?

Andre Brown

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Because we don't have NE's stability at line, their QB, their WR's, and a DEF close to them. Those were his numbers with all of that! So we are to expect the same here? :confused: Why?

OK then you expect nothing from him. And expect nothing from Bannan and JWilliams as well, cause they came from better teams too.
And any other player who comes from a "better" team as far as your concerned. Just expect nothing.
Now your just b!tching to b!tch.
Let it go. Its not a big deal.
DEN needed a RB. They traded a 4th for a solid RB with solid production.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
OK then you expect nothing from him. And expect nothing from Bannan and JWilliams as well, cause they came from better teams too.
And any other player who comes from a "better" team as far as your concerned. Just expect nothing.
Now your just b!tching to b!tch.
Let it go. Its not a big deal.

Im not bitching to bitch. I am out to see what the excuses will be. Because as it stands now this is such a good deal for the Broncos despite the obvious limitations!

People say the run game's issues are relegated solely to the o line. If thats true how does Maroney make it any better? Im still waiting for an answer to that? If he doesn't, then it seems the 4th is more valuable.

People point to his production in NE DESPITE the fact that they are so much further along than us with regard to talent. Yet we all know should Maroney not produce that will be the rally cry from the McD apologists.

Furthermore, I didn't bitch about the moves on the D regardless of where those players came from because we didn't spend a #12 overall pick at either position just a season earlier. A pick that is only getting 14 carries per game average across his career.

I guess the converse is Maroney comes in and tears it up. Then the problem is we spent a high number one on Maroney.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

I agree but they have needed a RB since they traded Hillis off and did nothing about it until Moreno and Buck both went down with injuries. This should have been addressed during free agency or the draft during the offseason but wasn't. Now we're stuck with rejects......

Tempus Fugit
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Maroney didn't suck, and hyperbole of that nature doesn't help your position or make you look like you know what you're talking about.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm wondering if McDaniels just wants a bolstered running game.

Moreno does not have the skillset to be a top player IMHO. He has very pedestrian speed, and he does not make defenders miss in the open field, which is a glaring red flag if you are talking about upper tier RB's.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I only say desperate because if McD truly knows he has another season or two for certain regardless of record, then why make this move? I would think draft picks would come at a premium!!!! Or maybe the guy just wants to win and knows that will be hard with a still not up to game speed Moreno, perpetually injured Buckhalter and two guys who have never had any significant playing time. Hence, picking up a talented running back who is still young (25) and knows the system as well as anyone while coming at a discounted price, was probably real hard to turn down.

I've watched more Patriots football than probably anyone on this forum besides Tempus, including almost every single game from Maroney's career, and can tell you that any Patriot fan who takes that stance is either trying to run smack talk on you, ignorant, or both.

Maroney isn't the stud running back they thought they were drafting in the first round back in 2006, but he's an above average power runner who has never put up less than 700 yards in a healthy season and is consistently good for about 4 yards per carry. He'll be an excellent short yardage, goal line pounder that we can use to keep from Moreno fresh. Considering what little value we gave up for him, he's an excellent addition.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Talent isn't the issue for our oline woes. Inexperience and health is.

You don't have to look past the TB Bucs oline to figure that one out, where in a matter of under 3 years, they went from the worst oline in the NFL (starting 2 rookies/1 2nd year player), to having one of the best young olines in the NFL, and one of the best in the NFL period until Morris came in and made some piss poor decisions to blow it up.

not every olinemen comes in to the NFL and plays like Ryan Clady right off the bat. In fact, 99% of them don't.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 02:09 PM

You don't have to look past the TB Bucs oline to figure that one out, where in a matter of under 3 years, they went from the worst oline in the NFL (starting 2 rookies/1 2nd year player), to having one of the best young olines in the NFL, and one of the best in the NFL period until Morris came in and made some piss poor decisions to blow it up.

not every olinemen comes in to the NFL and plays like Ryan Clady right off the bat. In fact, 99% of them don't.

Exactly.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree with this. I believe our issue is inexperience and injury (Clady and Harris). However if the run game's problems are the O line, why get Maroney at all if he is going to be as ineffective due to the O line's inexperience? Why not keep the picks and use Lance Ball or someone else?

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Or maybe the guy just wants to win and knows that will be hard with a still not up to game speed Moreno,

Then isn't that a problem in itself? :confused: I would think Moreno at this point should have no problem with game speed especially being the #12 pick.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
At the end of the day it is another NE castoff and this move smacks of desperation. I am done with it. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I agree with this. I believe our issue is inexperience and injury (Clady and Harris). However if the run game's problems are the O line, why get Maroney at all if he is going to be as ineffective due to the O line's inexperience? Why not keep the picks and use Lance Ball or someone else?

Speculation is the staff is grown tiresome of Buckhalter and his health issues. I'm sure his fumble doesn't help his argument. The only thing I can think of is McDaniels knows what he can get with Maroney is still young and even better doesn't have many miles, and maybe he thought Maroney was worth a chance to see if he can revitalize himself.

Maroney is a back that came into the league with everything you want in a RB, did show flashes in NE until injuries took over, and was also widely known to not have been liked much at all by Belichek.

The one down side to this is we are still getting a RB that has an unknown factor to him, along with an injury riddled past.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Speculation is the staff is grown tiresome of Buckhalter and his health issues. I'm sure his fumble doesn't help his argument. The only thing I can think of is McDaniels knows what he can get with Maroney is still young and even better doesn't have many miles, and maybe he thought Maroney was worth a chance to see if he can revitalize himself.

Maroney is a back that came into the league with everything you want in a RB, did show flashes in NE until injuries took over, and was also widely known to not have been liked much at all by Belichek.

The one down side to this is we are still getting a RB that has an unknown factor to him, along with an injury riddled past.

Great Post!

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Career Stats Season Team Games Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Long TD FUM Lost
TOTAL 582 2,430 -- 59 21 40 409 -- 43 1 5 5
2010 NE 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2009 NE 15 5 194 757 3.9 45T 9 14 99 7.1 17 0 4 4
2008 NE 3 3 28 93 3.3 17 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2007 NE 13 6 185 835 4.5 59T 6 4 116 29.0 43 0 -- --
2006 NE 14 0 175 745 4.3 41 6 22 194 8.8 31 1 1 1
Recent Games WK Opp Result Rushing Receiving Fumbles
Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
1 CIN W 38-24 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

No Data
Select Season: Go

No Data

No Data
Select Season: Go

No Data

Maroney is a fifth-year player who spent his first four NFL seasons with New England, which selected him in the first round (26th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from the University of Minnesota.

He has played 45 career regular-season games (14 starts), totaling 582 rushes for 2,430 yards (4.2 avg) with 21 touchdowns along with 40 receptions for 409 yards (10.2 avg.) with one touchdown. He also has recorded 41 kickoff returns for 1,062 yards (25.9 avg).

In seven career postseason contests (2 starts), he has registered 93 carries for 369 yards (4.0 avg.) with three touchdowns, six receptions for 67 yards (11.2 avg.) and 12 kickoff returns for 257 yards (21.4 avg.).

He has seven career 100-yard rushing games (regular season and postseason) to his credit and four contests with multiple rushing touchdowns.

Last season with the Patriots, Maroney scored a career-high nine rushing touchdowns while rushing 194 times for 757 yards (3.9 avg.) and adding 14 receptions for 99 yards (7.1 avg.).

He rushed for a career-high 835 yards on 185 carries (4.5 avg.) with six touchdowns during the 2007 season. He finished the year with 100 rushing yard or more in four of his final six games.

One of three players in Big Ten Conference history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in each of their first three seasons, he finished his career Minnesota ranked second on the Gophers’ all-time career rushing list with 3,933 yards and 32 touchdowns on 660 attempts (6.0 avg.).

A four-time All-Conference selection at Normandy High School in St. Louis, Mo., he was born on Feb. 15, 1985.

What I like about him is

Laurence Maroney
RB #26

Height:
5-11
Weight:
College:
Minnesota
Experience:

looks like a bowling ball to me.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Or maybe the guy just wants to win and knows that will be hard with a still not up to game speed Moreno, perpetually injured Buckhalter and two guys who have never had any significant playing time. Hence, picking up a talented running back who is still young (25) and knows the system as well as anyone while coming at a discounted price, was probably real hard to turn down.

I've watched more Patriots football than probably anyone on this forum besides Tempus, including almost every single game from Maroney's career, and can tell you that any Patriot fan who takes that stance is either trying to run smack talk on you, ignorant, or both.

Maroney isn't the stud running back they thought they were drafting in the first round back in 2006, but he's an above average power runner who has never put up less than 700 yards in a healthy season and is consistently good for about 4 yards per carry. He'll be an excellent short yardage, goal line pounder that we can use to keep from Moreno fresh. Considering what little value we gave up for him, he's an excellent addition.

IF this was a running scheme I'd be worried.

Since it is based on the spread and crossing patterns and throwing offense I'm not all that worried about it.

We are going to run just enough to keep the D honest with him being 5'11" and 220# he is big enough to get the short yardage and has good enough hands to catcha pass and do some damage.

he has had 22 TD's so far in his career. not reason to think he will not have more.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Then isn't that a problem in itself? :confused: I would think Moreno at this point should have no problem with game speed especially being the #12 pick.

Moreno missed all the training camp and preseason with that hamstring injury.

I'm really not understanding why everyone has their panties up in a bunch over this. We needed a short yardage pounder with LenDale White being down for the year. Moreno can do it, but then who spells him? Buckhalter can only handle some 3rd downs and off tackle running plus Ball is a nobody. We got guy who consistently puts up 700+ yards at 4 yards a pop for a 4th round pick.

I'll take that any day.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Moreno missed all the training camp and preseason with that hamstring injury.

Hmmm than isn't that a problem in itself? :confused: Hate to drive home the point but now it seems like we are making excuses for the kid or we are reaching the point of applying the injury prone label.

SOCALORADO.
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
IF this was a running scheme I'd be worried.

Since it is based on the spread and crossing patterns and throwing offense I'm not all that worried about it.

We are going to run just enough to keep the D honest with him being 5'11" and 220# he is big enough to get the short yardage and has good enough hands to catcha pass and do some damage.

he has had 22 TD's so far in his career. not reason to think he will not have more.

He only has alot of TDs because he came from NE.
Thats the only reason. Its not because of talent or
anything else. And all of his college stats are irrelevant
because he came from St.Louis MO. Thats the only
reason he was good at MIN. And the only reason he was good
in StL was because he came from his mothers womb. Thats it.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Hmmm than isn't that a problem in itself? It is, but what are you going to do about it? Part of football is dealing with injuries.

:confused: Hate to drive home the point but now it seems like we are making excuses for the kid or we are reaching the point of applying the injury prone label. What excuses are we making? It's not in dispute that he was injured, is it?

And we're a long ways away from throwing the injury label at him, although that won't stop many people who don't know better.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
#3 is Lance Ball
#4 is Andre Brown

Two Rooks that are learning the pace of the game. From what I saw from Ball in the preseason, I'd pull a Claymore if JMcD cut him. I also don't think you cut an essentially Red Shirt Rookie for an aging RB with back problems.

Ball and Brown both suck. Ball's preseason performance doesn't matter. You'd think people would learn from the Matt Willis and Victor Cruz's of the NFL. Preseason stars, regular season scrubs.

lol...not sure what you are saying here......I think every team lets players go for one reason or another....

He meant good reason, I assume.

Not just the running game. This front office just takes stabs in the dark. Making bold moves doesn't mean you know what you're doing.

Moreno does not have the skillset to be a top player IMHO. He has very pedestrian speed, and he does not make defenders miss in the open field, which is a glaring red flag if you are talking about upper tier RB's.

I agree completely. Moreno is an average HB, and he's more than likely not going to ever get any better than that. I don't even see him as an every-down runner.

And guys, Maroney does not suck...I don't love the trade or anything but take it for what it is, we got an average player, not a terrible one. He's never been a featured back and has put up decent numbers on a pass-happy team. He doesn't have a lot of physical upside and he's been injured, but he doesn't suck.

honz
09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Maroney sucks.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 03:27 PM
It is, but what are you going to do about it? Part of football is dealing with injuries.

What excuses are we making? It's not in dispute that he was injured, is it?

And we're a long ways away from throwing the injury label at him, although that won't stop many people who don't know better.

So the solution is to bring in a back who missed week one with a high thigh injury? :confused:

I heard of Fight fire with fire but never fight injury with injury.

atwater27
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I like the Maroney signing. He is a good, solid running back.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
So the solution is to bring in a back who missed week one with a high thigh injury? :confused:

I heard of Fight fire with fire but never fight injury with injury.

It's pretty common knowledge in New England that his injury is healed.

claymore
09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Maroney sucks.

Stop it Honz. He is our "Z" RB. Exactly what McD needed.

atwater27
09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
I like the Maroney signing. He is a good, solid running back.

But I'd still rather have Hillis. why'd we get rid of him again?

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 03:37 PM
But I'd still rather have Hillis. why'd we get rid of him again?

Because we didn't need a rushing FB that fumbles worse than Rex Grossman.

Oh wait, silly me, I tried applying logic to a move McD made. Of course that will never work. Maybe he had bad character.

atwater27
09-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Is it because he is white?

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Is it because he is white?

I was going to joke, but this actually brings up a point I've heard discussed quite often. The whole white HB thing. It's not like scouts and coaches see a HB and say "he's white, stay away from him". For whatever reason you feel is accurate, black people in general are more athletic than any other race.

White running backs/full backs are used in power situations. They aren't athletic enough to be every-down backs. Take Toby Gerhardt for example. He's in the NFL because of his power and hard running, but he's not athletic enough to ever be a featured back. It's not about race, it just so happens that certain races are genetically superior to other races in certain things.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16082485?source=rss

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels says running back Laurence Maroney, traded to Denver from New England on Tuesday, is a good fit for the Broncos' offense.

"I'm familiar, certainly, with the player. I know the kid. He's a good kid," McDaniels said today. "He can be productive in our offense."

McDaniels was New England's offensive coordinator and Maroney's position coach from 2006-08. The Broncos sent a 2011 fourth-round pick to New England in exchange for Maroney and the Pats' 2011 sixth-round selection.

Maroney, who amassed a career-high 835 yards on 4.5-yards per carry during the Patriots' 16-0 season in 2007, was New England's first-round pick (No. 21 overall), in 2006 out of the University of Minnesota.

He amassed 757 yards last year but was inactive in New England's opener last week because of a thigh injury.

McDaniels wasn't sure if Maroney would practice later today, but said: "He's a guy that can do a lot of good things. This guy has a lot of football in front of him and we're excited to have him."

McDaniels began shopping for a running back when LenDale White was lost for the season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon during the preseason. The Broncos' depth chart at running back before the trade was Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and Lance Ball/Andre Brown.

"We wanted to have a third back that played (in this system) before," McDaniels said. "Certainly Lance has done a decent job in the preseason; he's come a long way in terms of his understanding of what we ask him to do. But I just think it made us more comfortable to have a third player at that position that we could count on, so that if we had a guy that gets injured we're not down to really one player that's really played in the NFL."

Tempus Fugit
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
It's the equivalent of a 5th round pick for a rental/appraisal player at a position that's got issues because of injury. What's the big deal here?

Hell, those who don't like Moreno can just look at this as a potential upgrade for just a later rounds pick swap. Maybe that will help them feel better.

TimTebow15MVP
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
this was clearly a awesome move. we get a nice power back who really needs a change of scenory. moreno and maroney what a awesome tandem that would be. i love this move. for a 4th round pick? Who cares we have 3 picks in the first two round, 4 inthe first 3 rounds. we get a 6th in return. maroney will shine here in denver

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
They can keep adding running backs until they are blue in the face if they want. Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson couldn't run behind our O-line. Our O-line is just BAD at run blocking. We gave up a proven, effective system of zone blocking (the same system that netted Arian Foster 230+ yds and three TDs on Sunday with a less talented o-line) for a Man/Power blocking system that our O-line either a) is still learning, or b) just plain sucks at.

I was at the Jags game on Sunday with an endzone view which is excellent for seeing things like O-line holes and WR routes (It's like skycam on TV) and the holes just weren't there. It won't matter who we have running the ball. Until our O-line figures out how to run block, our running game won't improve. We were supposed to be bigger, meaner, and more physical on the O-line. Instead, our guys are getting pushed around and stood up every play.

I don't mind the pick up of Maroney, but he's not going to improve our running game.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
They can keep adding running backs until they are blue in the face if they want. Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson couldn't run behind our O-line. Our O-line is just BAD at run blocking. We gave up a proven, effective system of zone blocking (the same system that netted Arian Foster 230+ yds and three TDs on Sunday with a less talented o-line) for a Man/Power blocking system that our O-line either a) is still learning, or b) just plain sucks at.

I was at the Jags game on Sunday with an endzone view which is excellent for seeing things like O-line holes and WR routes (It's like skycam on TV) and the holes just weren't there. It won't matter who we have running the ball. Until our O-line figures out how to run block, our running game won't improve. We were supposed to be bigger, meaner, and more physical on the O-line. Instead, our guys are getting pushed around and stood up every play.

I don't mind the pick up of Maroney, but he's not going to improve our running game.

While I did not see the foster running just how many of those yards were inside the 20 and same goes for the TDs. and how does their OLINE compare with ours size wise. Inquiring minds wish to know. While your at it how long has each of their (OL) players been playing?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2010, 06:19 PM
While I did not see the foster running just how many of those yards were inside the 20 and same goes for the TDs. and how does their OLINE compare with ours size wise. Inquiring minds wish to know. While your at it how long has each of their (OL) players been playing?

Here you go. Yep, as I thought, not a probowler in the bunch. their starting center used to be our backup...

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091203/2010/REG1/colts@texans/recap/full-story#tab:watch

I'll start believing in our new look O-line and system when it produces more than 3.5 YPC.

Lonestar
09-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Here you go. Yep, as I thought, not a probowler in the bunch. their starting center used to be our backup...

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091203/2010/REG1/colts@texans/recap/full-story#tab:watch

I'll start believing in our new look O-line and system when it produces more than 3.5 YPC.

I see they were comaparable in size but you failed to answer these pertinent questions

just how many of those yards were inside the 20 and same goes for the TDs. and just for giggles how long have they played together

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I see they were comaparable in size but you failed to answer these pertinent questions

and just for giggles how long have they played together

Did you watch the video? 2 of those TD rushes were from inside the 10. Time spent playing together was never an excuse under Shanahan and his staff. We just produced 1000 yd rushers out of practice squad players year after year. Hell, even Tatum Bell rushed for over 1000 running behind greats like Ben Hamilton and George Foster...

My point is, the O-line looks the same as it did last year. I hope they improve, but I'm not counting on it.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM

The problem with the zone blocking scheme is that the rest of the NFL has largely figured it out, especially 3-4 teams which now makes up 2/3rds of our division rivals. That, and it's just not that effective in the red zone anymore.

The ZBS was great while it lasted, but it was definitely time for a change here in Denver.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Shannahan produced 1,000 yard rushers every year. We could have scrubs running the ball and they'd put up 1,000 yards, then get overpaid somewhere else and never amount to anything.

His scheme worked. Why change it? Especially when you don't have a clue what you're doing.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
The problem with the zone blocking scheme is that the rest of the NFL has largely figured it out, especially 3-4 teams which now makes up 2/3rds of our division rivals. That, and it's just not that effective in the red zone anymore.

The ZBS was great while it lasted, but it was definitely time for a change here in Denver.

I disagree. Change is only good when it works. So far, it hasn't.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I disagree. Change is only good when it works. So far, it hasn't.

And how good was the ZBS working for us? Sure, churning out 1000 yard rushers is nice, but what did we have to show for it? We've had problems in the red zone since TD and Howard Griffith hung em up and our supposedly vaunted running game didn't do dick in any of our post-Elway playoff losses.

And for a guy who loves to rail on McDaniels not knowing what he's doing, I figured you'd be ecstatic to have the guy whose running offense outscored Shanahan's for 3 straight years and counting.

T.K.O.
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
by the way...1000 yds is'nt much for a feature back.
most teams are employing the rb by committee plan anymore and still have 1 back get 1000 yds or close to it

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
And how good was the ZBS working for us? Sure, churning out 1000 yard rushers is nice, but what did we have to show for it? We've had problems in the red zone since TD and Howard Griffith hung em up and our supposedly vaunted running game didn't do dick in any of our post-Elway playoff losses.

It's not like the PBS has shown positive results in the redzone/short yardage situations. We still don't have a power back, and we haven't had a good blocking FB in years. And our lines in the ZBS were relatively small, which contributes to struggles in the redzone.

With the PBS we haven't improved on our weak points, and we've gotten worse at what we were good at. The ZBS didn't need to be changed. Our problems were personnel, not scheme.

And for a guy who loves to rail on McDaniels not knowing what he's doing, I figured you'd be ecstatic to have the guy whose running offense outscored Shanahan's for 3 straight years and counting.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. :confused:

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
by the way...1000 yds is'nt much for a feature back.
most teams are employing the rb by committee plan anymore and still have 1 back get 1000 yds or close to it

The Broncos haven't had a "feature back" since Clinton Portis. We split carries and ran the ball well.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 08:26 PM
It's not like the PBS has shown positive results in the redzone/short yardage situations. It has in New England and most other teams that run it. It didn't work for us last year but we were trying to run it with some ZBS leftovers, so we went out and got Walton and Beadles to remedy that problem.

We still don't have a power back, and we haven't had a good blocking FB in years. We do have a power back actually. That was LenDale White before he went down with an injury, and now we got a similar player in Laurence Maroney. I wouldn't say we don't have a good blocking fullback either as Larsen continues to improve there.

And our lines in the ZBS were relatively small, which contributes to struggles in the redzone. I know, that was one of my main gripes with it. Even in the Super Bowl years we would have trouble dealing with the smash mouth type defensive lines.

With the PBS we haven't improved on our weak points, and we've gotten worse at what we were good at. The ZBS didn't need to be changed. Our problems were personnel, not scheme. We've only had a one game sample size with the properly equipped O-Line though, and they moved the pile pretty well on Knowshon's touchdown.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. :confused: Simple. You like the running game right? Now we've got a guy who has had very good running games during his time in New England and now he's bringing that here to Denver, so you should be happy about that.

I know you don't like him, but Josh WILL make a believer out of you soon enough. Count on it.