PDA

View Full Version : mcd interview on sirius radio this morning

titan
09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
McDaniels interview on Sirius NFL Radio this morning with Peter King/Bob Poppa. Here's a summary:

What did you learn about your team?

We are certainly different than last year. We talked about where we are at last
year vs this year. We are ahead of last year, but we didn't play enough of
a complementary football game to win. Jacksonville didn't beat themselves.
We gave up too many yards in the return game, and we didn't capitilize
on the opportunities we had.

We didn't play well in all 3 phases (offense, defense, special teams)

How about the use of Tim Tebow?

There may be some things each week we do with Tim depending on the defense.
That's really all it was. Kyle threw the ball when Tim was in there a couple of times.
Probably going to be that way all year - if we feel there's an advantage we'll
put Tim in there.

How about the mental mistakes?

All of our penalties offensively were on 3rd down. All on defense were on scoring
drives for Jacksonville. You can't go on the road in this league and commit
penalties and turnovers in critical situations. We did some good things but
not enough to overcome our mistakes.

Defensive pressure?

Ayers had a sack, he's done good things in preseason. We really never put
Jacksonville in longer yardage passing situations. It didn't allow us to
get a great deal of pressure on them. We did get pressure at times. Jacksonville
did a great job of controlling the distance on 3rd down - we need to do a better
job on early downs.

Did you see positive signs on offense (orton)?

Yes - we have a good qb. Kyle was extremely effective. Threw the ball
down the field a bunch, got all the wr's involved, took advantage of the
opportunities given to him. Kyle made alot of good decisions, hung
in there and took some shots, and actually made some scrambles
late in the game. Positive - we have to build on that. We need
to practice on playing together so we can perform better.

Clady?

We gave him some rest because of stamina, not because of the knee. He
did a decent job. THere will always be some rust when you haven't played
in the preseason. Give it another week or 2 and he'll be back at top form.

Beadles?

We hope Harris is back soon. He's doing better every day. Harris is very tough.
That will allow us to have Zane as a 6th or 7th guy. Zane had a tough assignment
in that first game - he did some good things.

Seattle is 30th and 24th the last 2 years in defense. Have you watched alot of Seattle?

Yes, Seattle is very active. They bent but didn't break vs SF. Gave up some short passes.
Created turnovers. They stunt, they move, they pressure you. We liked Thomas at free
safety that we liked out of the draft. Linebacker corp very active. A good group. We
are going to have to take care of the football and score in the red zone.

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Them moving Kampman to LDE, going against Beadles was a coup for them. That dude killed denver when they played GB. He's a lightning bug. Just glad Oak didn't get him this summer!

You can tell the guys on Sirius still are not comfy talking with McD. Maybe his newness, still. I was waiting for them to bring up his tirades....but sadly... lol

I think if Jax wasn't starting what seemed to be EVERY drive on their 40yd line, Denver would have come out on top.

Eh....lessons learned, hopefully.

UnderArmour
09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
We liked Thomas at free
safety that we liked out of the draft. .

Then why did you trade the pick away for Alphonso ******* Smith? GDI.

silkamilkamonico
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Beadles?

We hope Harris is back soon. He's doing better every day. Harris is very tough.
That will allow us to have Zane as a 6th or 7th guy. Zane had a tough assignment
in that first game - he did some good things.

Sounds to me like the plan for Beadles at this point is backup. I wonder if he would be further ahead on the learning curve if he didn't have to play 3 different positions this preseason.

I'm not very comforted in hearing that for the immediate opinion of the team. I am a little worried in the lack of depth we have at the oline, if we have a second round pick having to learn 3 positions, immediately, when he gets to the NFL. Talk about being thrown into the fire.

turftoad
09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Sounds to me like the plan for Beadles at this point is backup. I wonder if he would be further ahead on the learning curve if he didn't have to play 3 different positions this preseason.

I'm not very comforted in hearing that for the immediate opinion of the team. I am a little worried in the lack of depth we have at the oline, if we have a second round pick having to learn 3 positions, immediately, when he gets to the NFL. Talk about being thrown into the fire.

My observation of Beadles is that he's not very strong. Thats what the reports said of him comming out also.
He just seems to get over powered.

Needs to hit the weights.

Elevation inc
09-15-2010, 02:20 AM
My observation of Beadles is that he's not very strong. Thats what the reports said of him comming out also.
He just seems to get over powered.

Needs to hit the weights.

beadles was a pick both dogfish and I were not happy about at all. Would have much prefered some other options there, dont know why the decided to do the whole LG thing there with him not his forte at all. I thought it was dumb from the get go but held out positive optimism.....on the flip side i think he has handled his role so far extremely well the guy was LG/LT and now RT as a rookie all in what 8 weeks time, and has done it all with a smile on his face and a good amount of work ethic and effort put in. It remains to be seen what his future role is and how good he will be....but my belief in OL depth at tackle is that your option at Swing tackle should always be a least a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for target area.....injuries to your bookends are much worse than the guard or center position to overcome.....in todays NFL......

I think if we keep him as a bookend swing tackle, his value will match up where we took him in rd 2.....and he can focus on a better learning curve at tackle and hit some weights as well to get stronger.....but ultimaetly they need to keep him as our swing tackle, and let him grow there, thats how you develop, you dont just throw a rookie OL pick on the Line in 3 different places and hope he sticks there at 1 of the spots......i love me some versatility but thats asking a lot of a guy liek beadles.....props to him for working his tail off though.....

gobroncsnv
09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Not sure who else they could have thrown in there at RT though... The kid certainly didn't lose the game for us... you can point as much or more to return yards, no pass rush, and a fumble on that side of the scale.
I agree, it's a tough thing to put the kid into a lineup with so many things to learn... and positions. But one of the things I (and many others) said in the preseason is that these new kids are going to have to grow up fast. With Harris out for a bit, and Clady still building up his form, the learning curve is even steeper.