PDA

View Full Version : arapaho's game thoughts

arapaho2
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
lets start by saying..ohh boy

defense....can we all say we miss nolan now?...for the most part we were dreadful...the linebackers could not contain the edge at all...used to be a strong point that you couldnt run outside on the broncos..not so ANY MORE

the dline got zero push...ayers, moss and whom ever else rushed the passer flat out couldnt generate pressure at all..against one of the worst olines last year!! one sack and it was more a coverage sack than us dominating the oline...IF THATS THE NORM...WE ARE IN FOR A BAD SEASON ON DEFENSE..wheres the attacking defense wink said he wanted?...did we even generate a TO?

will our linebackers are gonna get shredded all year because they cant defense the TE?
graade...b-
special teams..where?...they flat out sucked... long returns are a common thing...but when two of the 3times you kicked off after a score you give up returns of 50yards or so ...thats shoddy coaching and terrible play..why is it our long returns are far and few between while the opposing teams get many?
grade ...D-

offense...the oline was subpar... we gave up 3 sacks to a team that had 12 all last year..we couldnt open holes for the run game
c+

play calling was ok for the most part...one huge issue i have is when we went for it on forth down in the redzone, down by 7...i dont have a problem going for it..i have a problem with a 4th an 3 and we call a back shoulder fade on tight coverage by one of the best corners in the game...JOSH HERES A THOUGHT...GET THE FRIGGEN 1ST DOWN THEN YOU HAVE FOUR SHOTS FOR THE SCORE!!!
i also have issue with him putting in tebow for some rediculous easily diagnosed wild burro crap..it seemed that we were on the move then he just had to play his new toy which basically broke down the offensive rythm

B+
richard quinn?...you were A WASTE OF THE 2 3RDS IT TOOK TO GET YOU...now if you were hillis i would expect to never see you in a game again, but since your a mcd pick..whoknows

orton...you played well....looked deep...looked short, stepped up, ran...and basicaly had a great game..hats off

moreno....looked slow...sure he had a couple leaps over defenders and a couple decent runs...but what troubles me is the hole seems to have to be perfect for that...i see no speed, no burst and no power compared to watching other backs on the day...hopefully thats a sign of the injury ...

i know huge top speed isnt a requiremnt and im not talking about that...guys like TD, anderson, lewis, holmes or any of the other slower backs all showed that burst..that quickness through the hole...i dont see that from moreno at all

overall there are some positives...like orton, llyod and royal..but there are many more concerns for the upcoming games....we need that pass catching TE..like the one the jags used to shred us

the defense has to play better and certainly we need to find a way to get to the qb

special teams need to block better and learn to cover a KO

overall...C+

Nomad
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
As Horsepower 56 said, it was more about respecting MJD than lacking aggressiveness!!

You described a defense I witnessed in the 2nd half of the season last year! I say give Wink time before shooting him down! Doom didn't get a sack in the first game last year either!! Next week, we should have a better idea because Seattle doesn't have the rushing threat as Jax does!!

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
richard quinn?...you were A WASTE OF THE 2 3RDS IT TOOK TO GET YOU...now if you were hillis i would expect to never see you in a game again, but since your a mcd pick..whoknows

Agreed. McD was obviously VERY FURIOUS with him. It will be interesting to see how this situation works itself out.

orton...you played well....looked deep...looked short, stepped up, ran...and basicaly had a great game..hats off

moreno....looked slow...sure he had a couple leaps over defenders and a couple decent runs...but what troubles me is the hole seems to have to be perfect for that...i see no speed, no burst and no power compared to watching other backs on the day...hopefully thats a sign of the injury ...

I disagree here a bit. As much as I was against Moreno last season, I am so far excited by his play. He seems much faster, more aware, and stronger.

The problem for me is he doesn't get enough carries. 15 carries per game is a joke! Its when the other team's RB starts to get to the 20+ carry mark that they start to gash teams and rip off big runs!

We will never know what we have in Moreno until we see if he can carry the ball 25 times a game and what he does with that many carries.

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with most. Our LBs cant cover TEs, but their TE hardly shredded us. He was targetted twice and caught two balls for just over 30 yards. Albeit both were TD catches, but it's not like he went Brent Celek on us. I'm surprised Woodyard wasnt on the field more. It was a huge mistake putting Haggan or Hill on that TE. Both were outmatched on those TDs.

Moreno looked tentative, but I didnt think he looked slow. He danced around the line a lot I thought for two reasons - 1) Not 100% confident in his hamstring and 2) The line sucked...but once he found a hole I thought he made things happen.

Buckhalter who exploded through the line all of last year is more of a concern for me than Moreno. Buckhalter needs to step it up. He was terrible running the ball and factor in the fumble as well. He wasn't hit hard or stripped, he just dropped the ball.

I think Moreno's target for carries was around 15, so with Buck sucking we probably couldnt run the ball as much as we wanted. Maybe I'm wrong about that, just speculating.

The Tebow plays were a complete waste. I thought they might have been trying to set up a pass play from that formation, but never did.

arapaho2
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Agreed. McD was obviously VERY FURIOUS with him. It will be interesting to see how this situation works itself out.

I disagree here a bit. As much as I was against Moreno last season, I am so far excited by his play. He seems much faster, more aware, and stronger.

The problem for me is he doesn't get enough carries. 15 carries per game is a joke! Its when the other team's RB starts to get to the 20+ carry mark that they start to gash teams and rip off big runs!

We will never know what we have in Moreno until we see if he can carry the ball 25 times a game and what he does with that many carries.

i dunno...in just didnt see any quickness through the hole or around the edge from moreno...im not talking footrace speed, im talking the zip throught the hole, that decisevness to say thats the hole im going through and get through it fast...he seemed to ...LUMBER? through the hole then pickup speed?

arapaho2
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree with most. Our LBs cant cover TEs, but their TE hardly shredded us. He was targetted twice and caught two balls for just over 30 yards. Albeit both were TD catches, but it's not like he went Brent Celek on us. I'm surprised Woodyard wasnt on the field more. It was a huge mistake putting Haggan or Hill on that TE. Both were outmatched on those TDs.

Moreno looked tentative, but I didnt think he looked slow. He danced around the line a lot I thought for two reasons - 1) Not 100% confident in his hamstring and 2) The line sucked...but once he found a hole I thought he made things happen.

Buckhalter who exploded through the line all of last year is more of a concern for me than Moreno. Buckhalter needs to step it up. He was terrible running the ball and factor in the fumble as well. He wasn't hit hard or stripped, he just dropped the ball.

I think Moreno's target for carries was around 15, so with Buck sucking we probably couldnt run the ball as much as we wanted. Maybe I'm wrong about that, just speculating.

The Tebow plays were a complete waste. I thought they might have been trying to set up a pass play from that formation, but never did.

true...but i guess what i mean should say...if garrard had wanted to or thier coach called it...he easily had haggen beat or hill outsized and beat all day... and a better qb or playcaller would have recognized that and beat them down bad

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
its a good effort on the OP, and not all doom and gloom...hats off.....

I Eat Staples
09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Figured I'd point this out in here. Tebow trick formations are a complete waste. Look how awful the Eagles were when switching QBs. That shit doesn't work. Keep Tebow off the field unless Orton and Quinn both get hurt.

Oh, and McD can't call plays. I call a better game for Denver when I play madden...

I Eat Staples
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh, one more thing. Why the hell was Nate Jones on the field so much? Was it because McBath didn't play?

He made a bunch of tackles but that's mainly because he lets the other team complete passes...

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh, one more thing. Why the hell was Nate Jones on the field so much? Was it because McBath didn't play?

He made a bunch of tackles but that's mainly because he lets the other team complete passes...

mcbath is hurt.....

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Figured I'd point this out in here. Tebow trick formations are a complete waste. Look how awful the Eagles were when switching QBs. That shit doesn't work. Keep Tebow off the field unless Orton and Quinn both get hurt.

Oh, and McD can't call plays. I call a better game for Denver when I play madden...

They are just trying to get him involved kind of like when he was a Fresh at UF. I thought they would get him a little more involved besides the two runs...like setting up a fake sneak and having him pull back and heave up a bomb to Lloyd or something but I think the game was too close in the second half to risk it.

Maybe we will see more of it in the following weeks.

arapaho2
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
its a good effort on the OP, and not all doom and gloom...hats off.....

just what i saw..thats all

WARHORSE
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
First game. Im not concerned about it.

Its the last 8 that I want to concern myself with.

Nolan is not missed. Doom is missed.

We better get our butts ready for a Seattle team that most people would have written off as not a strong team.

Sure looked strong yesterday though.:coffee:

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
First game. Im not concerned about it.

Its the last 8 that I want to concern myself with.

Nolan is not missed. Doom is missed.

We better get our butts ready for a Seattle team that most people would have written off as not a strong team.

Sure looked strong yesterday though.:coffee:

The last 8 games wont mean a whole if first 8 are disaster. I'm not saying they will be or that want them to be I'm just sayin.

Bosco
09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
defense....can we all say we miss nolan now? No, we can't. I was at the game with an excellent view and can tell you with near absolute certainty that this wasn't a defensive coordinator issue.

the dline got zero push...ayers, moss and whom ever else rushed the passer flat out couldnt generate pressure at all..against one of the worst olines last year!! one sack and it was more a coverage sack than us dominating the oline...IF THATS THE NORM...WE ARE IN FOR A BAD SEASON ON DEFENSE..wheres the attacking defense wink said he wanted?...did we even generate a TO? I think this was more a result of the Jaguars O-Line looking much better than expected

special teams..where?...they flat out sucked... long returns are a common thing...but when two of the 3times you kicked off after a score you give up returns of 50yards or so ...thats shoddy coaching and terrible play..why is it our long returns are far and few between while the opposing teams get many?
grade ...D- I agree that this was a problem, and Josh tore Mike Priefer a new ass...again. Expect him to be looking for a new job in 2011.

offense...the oline was subpar... we gave up 3 sacks to a team that had 12 all last year..we couldnt open holes for the run game
c+ To be expected. Clady was gimpy and clearly not in game shape yet. Beadles was playing at the other tackle spot and getting schooled by Aaron Kampman, and their 1st round pick was getting good pressure inside. This is nothing that time and experience won't fix.

play calling was ok for the most part...one huge issue i have is when we went for it on forth down in the redzone, down by 7...i dont have a problem going for it..i have a problem with a 4th an 3 and we call a back shoulder fade on tight coverage by one of the best corners in the game...JOSH HERES A THOUGHT...GET THE FRIGGEN 1ST DOWN THEN YOU HAVE FOUR SHOTS FOR THE SCORE!!!
i also have issue with him putting in tebow for some rediculous easily diagnosed wild burro crap..it seemed that we were on the move then he just had to play his new toy which basically broke down the offensive rythm

B+ I was extremely impressed with McD's play calling. His sets and motions were confusing the Jags linebackers and secondary, but we just didn't have the protection for Orton to capitalize on it. That 4th down play call was actually very good as well. We clearly caught the Jags off guard and we were mere inches from that being a touchdown.

richard quinn?...you were A WASTE OF THE 2 3RDS IT TOOK TO GET YOU...now if you were hillis i would expect to never see you in a game again, but since your a mcd pick..whoknows I assume you're talking about when he cost us the time out in the 4th? Yeah, that was a pretty big **** up (and McD chewed him out over it) but other than that he was getting alot of playing time and appeared to be giving us excellent blocking as usual.

orton...you played well....looked deep...looked short, stepped up, ran...and basicaly had a great game..hats off I agree.

i know huge top speed isnt a requiremnt and im not talking about that...guys like TD, anderson, lewis, holmes or any of the other slower backs all showed that burst..that quickness through the hole...i dont see that from moreno at all I think you're right. It's probably from the injury.

overall there are some positives...like orton, llyod and royal..but there are many more concerns for the upcoming games....we need that pass catching TE..like the one the jags used to shred us I'm not too concerned at all. We opened on the road in blistering heat and still managed to play a pretty good game. If a couple breaks go our way, we probably walk out of there with a win.

Expect us to really come out firing against Seattle.

Watchthemiddle
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I semi agree and for us that might be a first.

I agree on the D
I agree on Orton - thought he looked like he was in control, knew the playbook, took shots downfield and completed them, and actually scrambled and put his body on the line for a first late in the game..
I liked the WR play
I liked the play calling....I loved getting Royal involved and Graham early.

I actually like the D until the second half. That has been our biggest downfall for years now......that needs to be fixed.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
mcbath is hurt.....

Yeah I know, I just didn't realize we'd be using McBath a lot to begin with, let alone his mediocre at best replacement. I can't say Jones played that badly, though.

They are just trying to get him involved kind of like when he was a Fresh at UF. I thought they would get him a little more involved besides the two runs...like setting up a fake sneak and having him pull back and heave up a bomb to Lloyd or something but I think the game was too close in the second half to risk it.

Maybe we will see more of it in the following weeks.

That's certainly not how to bring an NFL QB along. That will only serve to hurt his development. If he's going to be our future QB, he needs to learn how to be a pocket passer to be successful in the NFL. Bringing him in on those packages is like at UF, like you said. That shit doesn't work in the NFL. Look how awful the Eagles were in the first quarter using Vick like that.

Elevation inc
09-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah I know, I just didn't realize we'd be using McBath a lot to begin with, let alone his mediocre at best replacement. I can't say Jones played that badly, though.

That's certainly not how to bring an NFL QB along. That will only serve to hurt his development. If he's going to be our future QB, he needs to learn how to be a pocket passer to be successful in the NFL. Bringing him in on those packages is like at UF, like you said. That shit doesn't work in the NFL. Look how awful the Eagles were in the first quarter using Vick like that.

Mcbath shows big potential at the CF/FS role........he really does, very impressed with him so far....def want to see bigger and better things from him over renaldo hill.......

and jones was better in the nickel than smith or ty law last year so far, so i guess its a small upgrade there.....

JaxBroncoGirl
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM

I agree with everything you posted. It was my first regular season game as a Bronco. What baffles me is why put Tebow in? It was a complete waste, everyone and their mother knew he was going to run, I mean at least let the guy throw the ball and make the defense honest. Totally agree with the wasting of two plays for what 2 yards.

Must add: I am stoked with Royal!