PDA

View Full Version : I missed the game, how'd we do?

Ravage!!!
09-13-2010, 02:17 AM
seriously.. how'd we do?

sneakers
09-13-2010, 02:45 AM
I missed the game too. Woke up about 45 minutes after the game ended.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 03:00 AM
seriously.. how'd we do?

Defense-

are run defense with bannan/williams/Mcbean.....was better for the whole game then most expected. we still cant cover TE's or slot Wr's with Lb's, are new OLB's Ayers and hunter need to work better on oustide contain, we didnt blitz at all i dont think, and a 4 man rush netted us 1 sack by ayers. we tackled better and were physical the whole game but tired in the 4th....our new DL is improved, but some costly penalties by mcbean killed us, and were inconsistent at getting of the field on third down. Champ completely shut down Simms walker. Ayers looks to be getting it better, and hunter is proving to be a decent option, Dj williams also looked the best i have seen him in the 3-4, Nate jones looked better than he has since he has been with us

Biggets concern here? TE coverage by Lb's/Penalties/Pass rush

Special Teams-

Atrocius coverage on KR's.......are punt coverage return unit is solid, but we gave up 41 and 56 yd kick returns, which led to great field position and ultimately is a big reason garrad had 3 Td's on only 16 completions.......Cox did nothing special on returns, wasnt bad, just wasnt electric.....

this is a big deal and MCd will probally light the team up about this one.

Offense-

For the most part Orton looks like a Qb reborn, his old faults Holding the ball to long and locking on a Wr happened a few times, but its clear he is much improved he had a great YPC and almost threw for 300 yds. he can take us to a wildcard game. We had some great drives and time of possesion advantage but again costly penalties and mistakes killed us in the redzone. Costly fumble by buckhalter and a penatly by beadles cost us at least 6-14 points.

Our Wr's are legit royal is back, and lloyd is a legit deep threat, gaffney solid as well, we will be even deepr here when DT and decker are ready...daniel graham played well also in both facets of the game. gronkowski blocked solidly for his first game, larsen caught a pass.

Our OL is def a work in progress, clady gave up 2 sacks....he clearly isnt 100% but he is still our best option there. Daniels played okay, nothing special at LG, Walton was the best of the day on the OL...Knighton was no small task....kuper looked to be affected a bit by his ankle in the run game. and beadles didnt play very well, but had some good moments.....harris will be missed. Beadles is better than polumbus though....lol so thats progress...haha

As for the run game...moreno looks improved, he doesnt have finishing speed though and this offense needs a legit speed back and home run threat period.....i like what moreno did coming off injury though. buck didnt play well at all and cost us red zone points with his fumble. The Ol wasnt as bad as a i thought in the run game, def a work in progress here, and i dont think we can expect decent run game results as a unit here for a few more weeks.

overall to be honest this team is a mediocre(8 wins) to good team(10 wins)......if we fixed how to handle a loss we will go to a wildcard. if we let losses affect us like last year this team is in trouble.....the good news is i have seen improvement in some key unit area's...DL/CB/WR/C/QB for example........but we have some work to do in others(LG/RB/OLB's/OT/S) I think when we get healthy and hit that gel point around week 4 or 5 we will really start to come on hard.......

:beer:

Nomad
09-13-2010, 03:19 AM
Good summary, Inc!!

Dean
09-13-2010, 06:48 AM
We still don't run the ball well and have difficulty stopping the run. :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Up the gut, the run game has improved, but like elevation said, our OLBs did a bad job at setting the edge (their job in a 3-4 on run plays) on running plays and forcing things back inside. Interestingly, on some of those larger outside run plays, Ayers lined up at TED and Haggan moved to LOLB. Either way, both guys would bite on the initial inside look and get caught up in the wash and MJD would just bounce it outside. Our only LB capable of running with MJD on a sweep is DJ and if he got blocked, we gave up good yardage. DJ really looked good today.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Up the gut, the run game has improved, but like elevation said, our OLBs did a bad job at setting the edge (their job in a 3-4 on run plays) on running plays and forcing things back inside. Interestingly, on some of those larger outside run plays, Ayers lined up at TED and Haggan moved to LOLB. Either way, both guys would bite on the initial inside look and get caught up in the wash and MJD would just bounce it outside. Our only LB capable of running with MJD on a sweep is DJ and if he got blocked, we gave up good yardage. DJ really looked good today.

Haggan should not be on the outside he's just way to slow. They need to keep in on the inside where his size can be big help.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Haggan should not be on the outside he's just way to slow. They need to keep in on the inside where his size can be big help.

The problem is, except for DJ, ALL of our starting LBs are hella slow. All of them are converted DEs and aren't much for playing in space or in pursuit. If we can keep everything contained inside, their size and strength should dominate, but when things get outside the box, they aren't going to run down many RBs.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 08:34 AM

we held MJD to 98 yds rushing on 23 carries with no TD's, and garrad didnt beat us with his legs either matter of fact the only big play they had running the ball was a 15 yarder by jennings and 18 yarder by jones against our nickel defense....our base run defense 1st/2nd down was money all game...I might be the only one but outside of a couple missed assignments on the edge by our OLB's, our run defense was pretty damn good....this is a top eight rushing team even when they had a weak ass oL last year....MJD usually destroys us....and had Mcbean not given 30 free yds...he would have been no factor that last drive for Jax either....

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 08:36 AM

we gave up 2 plays in our nickel defense over 15 yds against the run to a top 5 RB and top eight rushing team, last year we were giving up 6 or 7 plays a game like that in our base 1st and 2nd down defenses to the chiefs and the raiders folks.....our run defense is improved, now we just have to make some tweaks and improve on the edge......

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I missed it too, only saw the highlights but I came away with alot more from elevation than from the highlights. I'll watch the replay though.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
The problem is, except for DJ, ALL of our starting LBs are hella slow. All of them are converted DEs and aren't much for playing in space or in pursuit. If we can keep everything contained inside, their size and strength should dominate, but when things get outside the box, they aren't going to run down many RBs.

yeah i have a scheme issue here, i love we got bigger on the Dl and at OLB, and i think ayers and hunter have long term studness awaiting them in the future...but when you throw your TEd backer on a TE....well thats just wrong any 3-4 team doing that is stupid.....that was bad by wink for sure.....i hope mcbath is ready soon becasue he is the only legit option we have right now for TE's, although Nate jones did a good job a couple times.....im really pissed belicheck stole barrett becasue he could lock down TE's as well and was lethal on special teams

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
I missed it too, only saw the highlights but I came away with alot more from elevation than from the highlights. I'll watch the replay though.

im am going over the game right now again, almost finished.....i use season game pass and just VGA to my tV, but when you do season pass you basically can watch teh games again whenever you want.....and after watching it again i completely stand by my summary above.....

our own mistakes cost us this game, plain and simple.......but there were alot more positives than negatives......we dont have long term suckness on this team for the future and i find the 4-12/5-11/6-10 claims retarded..even with complete turnover and insane schedules we go 8-8, with the worst defense in the NFL and a offense that cant score we go 8-8 now all of the sudden were 5-11(HILARIOUS!!!!!!!)....coaching and chemistry and some patience should fix the mistakes we made and get us where we want. the quick and long picture is much better than people think.

at the same time if we dont respond against Seattle Well?????? well i dont think we will recover eneough to challenge for a wildcard and we could be in big trouble. This team can not handle losing streaks. when a loss happens regardless of who the team is we played or going to play, we need to repsond.

This upcoming game is a excellent test......

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
We are really missing Reid and Barret on special teams. When you have Willis as an outside contain on kickoff returns you are in trouble. Willis is basically the smallest guy on the team and you are expecting him to fight off blocks funnel the returner back inside? Good luck with that.

We seriously need to re-evaluate our special teams. From coach all the way down to personel. I dont give a shit if we need to put Dawkins, Ayers, DJ, whoever out there and risk injury. It wont matter who is healthy to play defense if we give opposing teams the ball midfield on every possession.

I will also disagree with Elev on Bailey. I thought he looked average and slow. He got beat over the top and in front of him for big plays against average receivers. I think both of those plays where he got beat were 3rd downs. I know the first one was 3rd down and 4 or 5 and he got beat over the top for over 20 yards. I only remember him getting his hand on one pass.

We are going to be in trouble against teams with elite skills players (Indy, SD, Houston, etc).

Royal and Lloyd were phenominal (When baybay and Decker get in there we are really going to have something special at that position) So was DJ. He was by far our best player on defense yesterday.

Ayers looked good in space, but he did give up the edge on a couple plays. For the most part he looked 100x better than he did last year.

I was upset that we couldn't collapse the pocket in the middle and none of our guys seem to know to get their hands up. All of our pressure came from the edges and we were never in Garrards face. We are really going to miss Doom.

You may see McBean inactive next week. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a new DLineman this week. His play was inexcusable. I think if you accidentally grab a facemask as a player runs by you, that is ok - it happens. But when you are on a guy's back and bringing him to the ground and you decide to reach around his body and grab at his face TWICE, you deserve to be benched...and in the 4th quarter on a pivotal drive no less.

Overall I think we are making progress on offense and we are treading water on defense. I think we got what we expected on defense with Doom out. It's going to be hard to generate turnovers without someone consistently on the QBs back.

Knowshon looks much better than last year. Most of his yards came from him making plays on his own. He still needs to learn to hit the hole fast and stop dancing around, but I think a part of that may be due to him running tentatively because of his hammy.

Orton and the WRs look good, but the line needs to improve. I think that was expected. An injured Clady, brand new LG, rookie Center, injured Kuper, and rookie RT. I guess all things cosidered they were decent.

Buckhalter really shit the bed. You could definitely tell he hadn't played in a while. I'm surprised Ball didnt get any time.

I think we only had ONE 3 and out all game which is something to take away from the game. We can move the ball, but the stupid rookie mistakes are killing us. As is the fact that we are making our offense go 80 yards to score and making the opposing team go 50 yards to score. You aren't going to win many games doing that.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Mays and Hunter both looked like they had decent range and speed during the preseason.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought both Bailey and Dawkins looked slow. So I watched it again just keying on them.

Here you go.

JAX 1st series 1st play - Bailey beat by Sims-Walker on slant play. Incomplete pass after hit by Dawkins.
JAX 1st series 3rd play - Bailey beat by M. Thomas for 23 yrds. Pick play at LOS, Bailey forces him out of bounds.

JAX 2nd series 1st play - Dawkins tackle on MJ Drew for 1 yard gain.
JAX 2nd series 2nd play - 15 yard pass interference on Dawkins covering M. Lewis.
JAX 2nd series 4th play - Dawkins tackle on MJ Drew for 18 yard gain.
JAX 2nd series 7th play - Bailey pass def. on J. Matthews on crossing pattern (Matthews just called up from practice squad)

JAX 3rd series no action by Dawkins or Bailey short passes and runs by JAX

JAX 4th series 5th play - Bailey beat by M. Thomas for 26 yards on crossing route. Bailey with touch-tackle.
JAX 4th series 6th play - Mercedes Lewis TD. Dawkins had a chance to tackle or knock him out of bounds at the 1 yrd line. Whiffed on tackle. After the play you an see Dawkins on the sideline kneeling with head on the ground (either hurt or upset he missed the tackle).

JAX 5th series M. Lewis 2nd TD no real action by Bailey or Dawkins. Hill beat on TD.

JAX 6th series 1st play - Bailey tackle on G. Jones for 1 yard loss.
JAX 6th series 2nd play - Bailey pass def. on Sims-Walker on crossing route.

JAX 7th series 2nd play - Dawkins great pass def. with leaping swat on ball.
JAX 7th series 4th play - Bailey beat again on post play by M. Thomas for 20 yards. Announcers called the coverage on Hill and Jones, but it was Champ. Flag on Goodman for hands to face on Sims-Walker, penalty not accepted.
JAX kicks FG game then delayed at beginning of 4th quarter.

JAX 8th series McBean kills us with 30 yds of facemasks.
JAX 8th series 6th play - Garard QB sneak for 4 yards and 1st down. Dawkins with the tackle.
JAX 8th series 7th play - 24 yard pass to K. Osgood on post beat Dawkins for TD. Dawkins tried to bat it out of his hand after the catch.

JAX 9th series chews up time with running MJD.

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Dont say anything bad about Dawkins or Bailey BDB. You will start a shit storm!

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
we held MJD to 98 yds rushing on 23 carries with no TD's, and garrad didnt beat us with his legs either matter of fact the only big play they had running the ball was a 15 yarder by jennings and 18 yarder by jones against our nickel defense....our base run defense 1st/2nd down was money all game...I might be the only one but outside of a couple missed assignments on the edge by our OLB's, our run defense was pretty damn good....this is a top eight rushing team even when they had a weak ass oL last year....MJD usually destroys us....and had Mcbean not given 30 free yds...he would have been no factor that last drive for Jax either....

Keeping Drew under 100 yards is good thing, but in doing the math that still rounds off to 4.3 yards per carry.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
That was a love post to you. ;)

Nomad
09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I thought both Bailey and Dawkins looked slow. So I watched it again just keying on them.

Here you go.

JAX 1st series 1st play - Bailey beat by Sims-Walker on slant play. Incomplete pass after hit by Dawkins.
JAX 1st series 3rd play - Bailey beat by M. Thomas for 23 yrds. Pick play at LOS, Bailey forces him out of bounds.

JAX 2nd series 1st play - Dawkins tackle on MJ Drew for 1 yard gain.
JAX 2nd series 2nd play - 15 yard pass interference on Dawkins covering M. Lewis.
JAX 2nd series 4th play - Dawkins tackle on MJ Drew for 18 yard gain.
JAX 2nd series 7th play - Bailey pass def. on J. Matthews on crossing pattern (Matthews just called up from practice squad)

JAX 3rd series no action by Dawkins or Bailey short passes and runs by JAX

JAX 4th series 5th play - Bailey beat by M. Thomas for 26 yards on crossing route. Bailey with touch-tackle.
JAX 4th series 6th play - Mercedes Lewis TD. Dawkins had a chance to tackle or knock him out of bounds at the 1 yrd line. Whiffed on tackle. After the play you an see Dawkins on the sideline kneeling with head on the ground (either hurt or upset he missed the tackle).

JAX 5th series M. Lewis 2nd TD no real action by Bailey or Dawkins. Hill beat on TD.

JAX 6th series 1st play - Bailey tackle on G. Jones for 1 yard loss.
JAX 6th series 2nd play - Bailey pass def. on Sims-Walker on crossing route.

JAX 7th series 2nd play - Dawkins great pass def. with leaping swat on ball.
JAX 7th series 4th play - Bailey beat again on post play by M. Thomas for 20 yards. Announcers called the coverage on Hill and Jones, but it was Champ. Flag on Goodman for hands to face on Sims-Walker, penalty not accepted.
JAX kicks FG game then delayed at beginning of 4th quarter.

JAX 8th series McBean kills us with 30 yds of facemasks.
JAX 8th series 6th play - Garard QB sneak for 4 yards and 1st down. Dawkins with the tackle.
JAX 8th series 7th play - 24 yard pass to K. Osgood on post beat Dawkins for TD. Dawkins tried to bat it out of his hand after the catch.

JAX 9th series chews up time with running MJD.

Damn BDB...that's some serious analyzing!! My hats of to you!!

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
That was a love post to you. ;)

I agreed with it a 100%, got a little horny because of it too.

Nomad
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I agreed with it a 100%, got a little horny because of it too.

Take it to the bathroom....magazines in the holder next to the toilet!!:D

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Bailey wasnt good at all.

Dawkins looked like he did last year. He plays hard, but he just doesn't have it anymore.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Bailey wasnt good at all.

Dawkins looked like he did last year. He plays hard, but he just doesn't have it anymore.

I want to see Bailey at Safety before we sign him to his new big deal.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM

He is still a good CB, it looks like Cox could be a replacement. Goodman played well. Maybe next year. I think Champ would be a great safety he can tackle, has great awareness, and range. Would be an improvement on Hill.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
He is still a good CB, it looks like Cox could be a replacement. Goodman played well. Maybe next year. I think Champ would be a great safety he can tackle, has great awareness, and range. Would be an improvement on Hill.

Yeah, but do we wanna pay a pretty good safety/good CB Great CB money?

If (hypothetically speaking!!!!!!) we get eliminated from the Playoffs, Id like to see Cox at CB and Bailey at safety. Just to see what we got.

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM

If he continues to play like he did Saturday I don't want any part of a big money extension for him.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, but do we wanna pay a pretty good safety/good CB Great CB money?

If (hypothetically speaking!!!!!!) we get eliminated from the Playoffs, Id like to see Cox at CB and Bailey at safety. Just to see what we got.
I hope they don't. Not at his age.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I hope they don't. Not at his age.

Its the last year of his deal. If we dont like what we see why re-invest in elite CB money?

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Its the last year of his deal. If we dont like what we see why re-invest in elite CB money?

If he makes $3 or $4 million per year, ok. But if he wants $11 mil. Bye-bye.

BroncoNut
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
what about sinquan or whatever his name is? he's a cb too isn't he? Was he in at all yesterday?

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
If he makes $3 or $4 million per year, ok. But if he wants $11 mil. Bye-bye.

I would sign up for that. But no way Champ takes 3-4 million a year.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
what about sinquan or whatever his name is? he's a cb too isn't he? Was he in at all yesterday?
I think he was inactive.

NightTrainLayne
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Great thread guys. This is BF at it's best.

Thanks, because I didn't see any of the game, and only got to hear part of it on the radio.

BroncoNut
09-13-2010, 11:59 AM
you bet NTL

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Keeping Drew under 100 yards is good thing, but in doing the math that still rounds off to 4.3 yards per carry.

the guy has averaged 5.7 or some crazy number every time he plays us 4.3 is improvement:lol:

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
and LRtagger...your right champ was beat 2 times by Mike thomas badly.....and the osgood td was dawkins but he had good coverage on the play just a good play by osgood......but dawkins def is not the same in coverage he once was i really want mcbath back so dawkins can play up and mcbath can roam a bit.....hill sucks i feel our safties are gonna need to be addressed either next year or the following.......hopefully mcbath is the guy he showed immense promise back there last year.....

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
and Ragger...your right champ was beat 2 times by Mike thomas badly.....and the osgood td was dawkins but he had good coverage on the play just a good play by osgood......but dawkins def is not the same in coverage he once was i really want mcbath back so dawkins can play up and mcbath can roam a bit.....hill sucks i feel our safties are gonna need to be addressed either next year or the following.......hopefully mcbath is the guy he showed immense promise back there last year.....

I agree Hill will end up being a liability. No one talked about him much last year he just kinda cruised under the radar...but at some point he needs to be replaced.

Dawkins did have decent coverage on that TD catch and it was a great play by the WR, but Dawkins cant let a post route get that far underneath him - especially right there at the endzone. He needs to break that pass up before the WR even has a chance to catch it. I think thats a play where you can legitimately say that Dawkins losing a step has affected his play. In his younger years he knocks that pass down. Hill was late on that play too. Between the two of them ONE of them has to recognize that route and cut off the receiver.

Everyone keeps saying how our secondary is one of the strongest parts of the team - which it is if you consider the depth...but our starting lineup is not as good as we thought. Especially without Doom creating havoc in the backfield. Teams are going to exploit mismatches all season and continue to beat us...then we will need to add a nickle back or put WW in and they will run over us.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree Hill will end up being a liability. No one talked about him much last year he just kinda cruised under the radar...but at some point he needs to be replaced.

Dawkins did have decent coverage on that TD catch and it was a great play by the WR, but Dawkins cant let a post route get that far underneath him - especially right there at the endzone. He needs to break that pass up before the WR even has a chance to catch it. I think thats a play where you can legitimately say that Dawkins losing a step has affected his play. In his younger years he knocks that pass down. Hill was late on that play too. Between the two of them ONE of them has to recognize that route and cut off the receiver.

Everyone keeps saying how our secondary is one of the strongest parts of the team - which it is if you consider the depth...but our starting lineup is not as good as we thought. Especially without Doom creating havoc in the backfield. Teams are going to exploit mismatches all season and continue to beat us...then we will need to add a nickle back or put WW in and they will run over us.

legit concerns for sure......maybe MCbath can help.....wouldnt be opposed to a safety next year by any means.....

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I wish we could have traded back Alphonso Smith back for Earl Thomas

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I wish we could have traded back Alphonso Smith back for Earl Thomas
Yea that would have been nice. Or insyead of Moreno we could have drafted Orakpo. He is a monster.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I think he was inactive.

He played on STs. He was a gunner on the punt team occasionally because (and I was surprised to see this) Bruton is the up-back now - a role normally played by a FB or HB.

I never saw Syd'quan take a defensive snap. Jones was pretty bad out there. On 3rd down conversions that Jax made through the air, probably 80% were thrown to the guy he was covering. He had a decent amount of tackles because the guy he was covering was the one catching the ball.

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Yea that would have been nice. Or insyead of Moreno we could have drafted Orakpo. He is a monster.

I'm not so concerned about that because I think Ayers will be a great player opposite Doom. But Earl Thomas as a rookie would be an upgrade over Renaldo Hill.

Elevation inc
09-14-2010, 01:16 AM
He played on STs. He was a gunner on the punt team occasionally because (and I was surprised to see this) Bruton is the up-back now - a role normally played by a FB or HB.

I never saw Syd'quan take a defensive snap. Jones was pretty bad out there. On 3rd down conversions that Jax made through the air, probably 80% were thrown to the guy he was covering. He had a decent amount of tackles because the guy he was covering was the one catching the ball.

you sure???? im pretty sure synquan was inactive, the gunner on punts was cassius vaughn...his speed is lethal.....what they need to do though now is replace willis on KR coverage with bruton .....lol