PDA

View Full Version : Positives from this week's game

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Lots of negativity going on right now so I want to post what I liked from the team today:

-Kyle Orton: He looks way more comfortable this year and was very solid when he had time. He struggled when he was pressured which could be problematic with this o-line but overall I thought he was solid.

-Knowshon Moreno: It was kinda hard for him to get going because our run blocking stunk today and he didn't get many carries but I thought he looked pretty good in the carries he got and I think he will have a better season this year.

-Brandon Lloyd: Our MVP today. He was just making fantastic catches all day. As much crap as many of our fans talked about him this offseason it would be great to see him have a good season. I could not have been more impressed with him today.

-Eddie Royal: It's good to see him with a bigger role in the offense now. I think last year was just a sophomore slump.

As for our offense, I think we are pretty much set at the skill positions. Their success last season all rests on the o-line. I think having Harris back will help and if the rookies can get better throughout the season, I think our offense will improve.

-Run Defense: For the most part we did a decent job on MJD. He got his yards but he is a great back and will always get his. The most encouraging thing is that we didn't give up the huge run to him. I have literally lost count of all the huge runs our D has given up over the years. That was very encouraging that MJD didn't break one.

-Robert Ayers: He's definitely improved from last season and it was good to see him get a sack today

-Matt Prater: He nailed that FG, would have been good from 60. I wish McD would have let him try that long one in the first half.

Overall, I still have hope for this season. We do have some issues that we need to work out but if we can cut out the stupid mistakes we made today and can continue to improve, I still think a winning record is possible.

honz
09-13-2010, 01:06 AM
You are an idiot if you saw anything positive out there today.

sneakers
09-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Did anyone get seriously hurt? If not, that's good.

BroncoWave

:lol: You are my favorite poster on this site honz!

BroncoWave

I don't think we had any injuries at all. That is definitely a positive! Maybe we got all that shit out of our system in the preseason.

sneakers
09-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Please don't post in this thread then. I am asking this as nicely as possible. This thread is to discuss the positives from this game. If you have nothing to add, then please see your way to another thread or preferably message board.

Unfortunately, it looks like someone has made that choice for him

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 01:21 AM

Better late than never.

Tned
09-13-2010, 01:26 AM

Just to correct it, he made that choice for himself.

Now, if the rest of us could agree to 'respect' each other's opinions, you know that thing that isn't right or wrong and we all have them like southern orifices, and be willing to discuss those opinions without trashing each other, the Forums would be a much nicer place to hang out at.

Dirk
09-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Overall, I still have hope for this season. We do have some issues that we need to work out but if we can cut out the stupid mistakes we made today and can continue to improve, I still think a winning record is possible.

I'm with ya. It's better to start out a little slow and finish strong than strong and finish flat.

There were a lot of positives and some negatives. Overall I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Some costly penalties and the fumble. Those types of things are fixable. Hopefully the special teams coverage can be fixed also!

sneakers
09-13-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm with ya. It's better to start out a little slow and finish strong than strong and finish flat.

There were a lot of positives and some negatives. Overall I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Some costly penalties and the fumble. Those types of things are fixable. Hopefully the special teams coverage can be fixed also!

It is better to suck in the beginning and finish strong than start strong and fade away....

(Which team do you think was happier about their season last year? The Oilers who started last year 0-6 and finished 8-2, or the Broncos who started 6-0 and finished 2-8?)

gobroncsnv
09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Guessing you were just being nostalgic, but I think you meant Titans?

Well, obviously the positives didn't outweigh the negatives, but there were a few good things to look at...

Agree on Orton, he led some pretty good drives.
We stopped a short yardage situation with them, MJD no less, running the ball. Liked it.
We MADE a short yardage situation on a run play... didn't see much of that last year.
Took'em a while, but they shored up the kick coverage DURING the game.
Ayers.
Lloyd.
Royal.
Moreno wasn't going down after the first hit.

broncofaninfla
09-13-2010, 06:53 AM
The running game and Orton look improved this year. Hopefully the two come together and we score more points.

MasterShake
09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
The really weird thing is that I fell better after our loss this year than I did after our win last year.

Royal getting involved, Moreno looked sharp, Prater with a BOOMING field goal (I don't care if the wind was to his back), Orton looked pretty good along with the receiving corps...I don't know, I think we have reason to be a little optimistic even with a loss.

One day removed, I'm already looking forward to Seattle. I think the home crowd next sunday is in for a great game where we are ahead the whole time and you can just sit back and have fun watching. At least I hope so, I gave my sister my tickets for her birthday. The first game I'm gonna attend is the Colts and I don't want to be 0-2 facing them! :lol:

First week of the NFL is crazy. Who would've thought Houston would have won? Or that the Saints and Vikings would COMBINE for only 23 points in a boring season opener?

And honestly, who thought the Broncos going early east in one of the hottest humid games ever would not only lose by only a score? I think they actually should have won had it not been for a few costly mistakes. And yes I am a homer. Damn proud of it, too. I think we play them 5 times we win 3 or 4.

Don't get me wrong, we lose next week even I am hovering around the panic button. But the picture of the NFL is not clear until usually about weeks 6-8 when people start separating themselves. Most teams don't even have an identity until week 4.

EDIT: And Brandon Lloyd is quickly becoming my favorite receiver. I like how he bounces up after getting hit, and he almost made a great catch on the fade route in the end zone! People forget how close that TD was!

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Nobody got carted off the field, but I don't think Kuper's ankle is anywhere near 100%. He was noticeably limping around out there especially in the second half during commercial breaks (something you don't see on the TV cameras). Either they didn't list him on the injury report or he just re-aggravated it. That may have contributed to the struggles in the run game, but we seemed to run right better than left for most of the game so who knows.

Hopefully, he's alright.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Prater with a BOOMING field goal (I don't care if the wind was to his back)

I can tell you the wind wasn't at his back. There was a pretty significant cross wind blowing out of the West (from the storm that blew in) and he was kicking North to South. He hammered that kick though. As soon as we sent the FG team onto the field the jags fans were sure he'd miss or be short. They were shocked that he nailed it.

Thnikkaman
09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Is this tongue in cheek?

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Is this tongue in cheek?

Do you read Honz's posts? His next post that isn't sarcastic will be his first! :lol:

Thnikkaman
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Do you read Honz's posts? His next post that isn't sarcastic will be his first! :lol:

haven't in a while actually. Frigging Utah fans. :D

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I guess I am tired of looking for the moral victories. At some point this team needs to start winning. They need to win on their own accord and preferably without gadget and gimmick plays. Moral victories don't do anything for me.

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess I am tired of looking for the moral victories. At some point this team needs to start winning. They need to win on their own accord and preferably without gadget and gimmick plays. Moral victories don't do anything for me.

Who said they were happy about or looking for moral victories? :confused:

Just wanted to post something to counter the sky is falling attitude on here after one loss.

T.K.O.
09-13-2010, 01:23 PM
knowshon looked alot better than last year,still hesitates to often before punching the hole...but improving.
on another happy note....i picked up arian foster on saturday for my nfl.com fantasy team ! 41.80 points off one dude :elefant::beer::D

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Just wanted to post something to counter the sky is falling attitude on here after one loss.

You are posting moral victories. I am not saying they...YOU!

By the way, I could easily go off about this kind of thread as you did Arapaho's and being "garbage." The constant push by the McD apologists to sugar coat anything and constant excuse making. I didn't...until now simply to illustrate a point. Your OPINION is in no way more or less valid than Arapaho's however the difference was in the treatment.

Afterall, there is a positives only thread and I have seen PLENTY of positives posted in multiple threads. In fact, I haven't seen the sky is falling bit yet.

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
You are posting moral victories. I am not saying they...YOU!

By the way, I could easily go off about this kind of thread as you did Arapaho's and being "garbage." The constant push by the McD apologists to sugar coat anything and constant excuse making. I didn't...until now simply to illustrate a point. Your OPINION is in no way more or less valid than Arapaho's however the difference was in the treatment.

I don't think I mentioned McD once in my OP. And I also fail to see what excuses I made. I'm pretty sure I said we lost because of bad play by the o-line and stupid mistakes at key points of the game. Those aren't excuses, they are reasons contributing to the loss.

And btw, arapho's thread was started for no other reason than to bait people into an argument. You are naive if you think otherwise. Had we won there is a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT chance he doesn't start that thread. I don't know if you remember or not but he didn't make a single post last season until we lost our first game. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about his posting i don't know what will.

T.K.O.
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
so how many times had we won in jax with other coaches ?
it's an early east coast game that we lost on a fumbles and penalties.
the broncos lost the way they usually do...poor execution in the red zone and giving a much shorter field to the other team...no news here.
lets just hope they learned from it and get better next week.
:salute:

Northman
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

We've lost 4 out of the last 5 against Jax both home and away.

the broncos lost the way they usually do...poor execution in the red zone and giving a much shorter field to the other team...no news here.

Thats a key point and one that we have struggled with for the last 5 years. I think everyone realizes we need to improve but we are still waiting unfortuantely.

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't think I mentioned McD once in my OP.

In your reply you used "they." I replied directly to your OP.

The fact remains there were plenty of positive posts, a positive only thread, and yet you still decided to post your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

People respected that for what that was. The problem was you didnt grant the same courtesy to Arapaho. You call it baiting yet you STILL chose to post in it and didn't even bother to contribute to the conversation!

Then to insist you know what Arapaho would or would not have done is a bit rich! I have known Arapaho through various forums for years now. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't have posted the same-win or loss!

T.K.O.
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
let's all just take a deep breath....crack open a coldy and head on over to the " got booty" thread for some r&r:salute:

Northman
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
let's all just take a deep breath....crack open a coldy and head on over to the " got booty" thread for some r&r:salute:

Does it count if i cracked open a case? :lol:

I Eat Staples
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Lots of negativity going on right now so I want to post what I liked from the team today:

-Kyle Orton: He looks way more comfortable this year and was very solid when he had time. He struggled when he was pressured which could be problematic with this o-line but overall I thought he was solid.

-Knowshon Moreno: It was kinda hard for him to get going because our run blocking stunk today and he didn't get many carries but I thought he looked pretty good in the carries he got and I think he will have a better season this year.

-Brandon Lloyd: Our MVP today. He was just making fantastic catches all day. As much crap as many of our fans talked about him this offseason it would be great to see him have a good season. I could not have been more impressed with him today.

-Eddie Royal: It's good to see him with a bigger role in the offense now. I think last year was just a sophomore slump.

As for our offense, I think we are pretty much set at the skill positions. Their success last season all rests on the o-line. I think having Harris back will help and if the rookies can get better throughout the season, I think our offense will improve.

-Run Defense: For the most part we did a decent job on MJD. He got his yards but he is a great back and will always get his. The most encouraging thing is that we didn't give up the huge run to him. I have literally lost count of all the huge runs our D has given up over the years. That was very encouraging that MJD didn't break one.

-Robert Ayers: He's definitely improved from last season and it was good to see him get a sack today

-Matt Prater: He nailed that FG, would have been good from 60. I wish McD would have let him try that long one in the first half.

I agree with all of these positives except for Moreno, and our run defense looked good early but looked tired late.

Personally, I would feel much better about our offense if it wasn't for those redzone trips. I fear we will be in the same boat as we were the past 2 years - move the ball easily between the 20s, but fail to score in the redzone. I desperately hope this trend changes, and changes quick. Turnovers or even redzone FGs won't be enough to beat elite teams. That was the reason we lost to Indy last year despite completely shutting them down in the second half.

Overall, Orton looked like an upper-tier QB. The only problem is that he struggles in the redzone and in clutch situations. He absolutely must improve in these areas to be considered more than an average QB.

Lonestar
09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
The really weird thing is that I fell better after our loss this year than I did after our win last year.

Royal getting involved, Moreno looked sharp, Prater with a BOOMING field goal (I don't care if the wind was to his back), Orton looked pretty good along with the receiving corps...I don't know, I think we have reason to be a little optimistic even with a loss.

One day removed, I'm already looking forward to Seattle. I think the home crowd next sunday is in for a great game where we are ahead the whole time and you can just sit back and have fun watching. At least I hope so, I gave my sister my tickets for her birthday. The first game I'm gonna attend is the Colts and I don't want to be 0-2 facing them! :lol:

First week of the NFL is crazy. Who would've thought Houston would have won? Or that the Saints and Vikings would COMBINE for only 23 points in a boring season opener?

And honestly, who thought the Broncos going early east in one of the hottest humid games ever would not only lose by only a score? I think they actually should have won had it not been for a few costly mistakes. And yes I am a homer. Damn proud of it, too. I think we play them 5 times we win 3 or 4.

Don't get me wrong, we lose next week even I am hovering around the panic button. But the picture of the NFL is not clear until usually about weeks 6-8 when people start separating themselves. Most teams don't even have an identity until week 4.

EDIT: And Brandon Lloyd is quickly becoming my favorite receiver. I like how he bounces up after getting hit, and he almost made a great catch on the fade route in the end zone! People forget how close that TD was!

Not so sure about the winning 3 of 4 If we play there early then it is almost given it is a loss. For the most part west coast teams traveling east loss the vast majority of games.

Instead of losing by 40+ points a game like we have in years past if it is a loss by 7 or less in a hostile environment I can deal with that. It is a sign of progress.

Did anyone really expect to win today? Come on IIRC we have lost almost every early game on the east coast and going to Florida early in the season is a double whammy. Something that Josh is going to have to come up with a DOUBLE reverse voo doo hex to fix.:laugh::laugh:

While JAX is a poor team they have almost always been in the top half of the league in Defense and in most years top 5-8 . They have struggled on O since Brunnell left and even then he was not a world burner. Add to the weather they are hard to beat at home.

In my initial prediction I had this as a loss, for many reasons but the Offense is almost always a few weeks behind the Defense in gelling in almost every team. Couple that with the brutal weather, there in early sep, going to teh east coast and an early game. Spells loss.

Now I did get caught up in the weekly prediction listening to all of the positive members posting about how great of a team we have and chose the Broncos this week heart over logic.

Day1BroncoFan
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
The positive I saw was improvment. This team is playing better than last year as a whole. I expect a better showing next week than this week, especially at home. Chaulk a W up for next week. :D

BroncoTech
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I wasn't very impressed yesterday. The way the Seahawks man handled SF yesterday I'd say they aren't the team we are looking for to 'get well' on next Sunday.

I know we are trying to be positive in this thread but it's alarming to see the same style of play span seasons, coaches and players like the play from our kick off squad has.

Bosco
09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
-Brandon Lloyd: Our MVP today. He was just making fantastic catches all day. As much crap as many of our fans talked about him this offseason it would be great to see him have a good season. I could not have been more impressed with him today. Yeah, I feel pretty vindicated there. :D

-Eddie Royal: It's good to see him with a bigger role in the offense now. I think last year was just a sophomore slump. It's amazing what being back in the slot can do for him.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
It's amazing what being back in the slot can do for him.

This. He didn't have a sophomore slump or anything, he just isn't built to be our primary X receiver. He should have a nice career in the slot.