PDA

View Full Version : So what's different ?

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
- "Vaunted" secondary owned by David Friggin' Garrard

- Bubble-screen Fiesta !

- Poor coaching decisions - Punting instead of FG attempts. Bringing in Tebow only for obvious gadget runs that fooled nobody.

- Only 1 passing TD against one of the worst secondaries in the league.

4-12 may be a stretch.

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
This team is still going to win some games it probably shouldn't and likely finish around .500.

We played on the road, in a time zone where we have struggled historically as an organization, and did not get manhandled in any way shape or form.

We're fine.

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
This team is still going to win some games it probably shouldn't and likely finish around .500.

We played on the road, in a time zone where we have struggled historically as an organization, and did not get manhandled in any way shape or form.

We're fine.

And the excuse parade begins.

Seriously, Bowlen should just sign McD for life --- he's THAT good.

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, lets not worry about being mediocre again. Turn that frown upside down. lol

Krugan
09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank goodness there are 15 more games.

Anyone that didnt have at least a doubt that we would have a rough go of it on the road in florida week 1, was in denial.

Just game 1, lots to take away from this one, both good and bad and McBean.

jhildebrand
I actually agree with Silk for once :D. Today is definitely a concern. However, I do remind myself that in 05 this team opened on the road against Miami in Saban's first game and got handled! I thought the season was over only to end up in the AFCCG.

This team wont be going to the AFCCG but I hold out hope we aren't going 5-11 either.

EastCoastBronco
27 posts in and that's the best you can come up with.
Get your sorry ass back to Oakland where it belongs.

Hit the road, troll.

Day1BroncoFan
09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Some stupid penalties on defense, a holding call and a fumble add up to losing the game.

broncophan
09-12-2010, 04:06 PM

You just might be onto something here.....

honz
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
How long until the draft?

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2010, 04:08 PM

"I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong

I want you to come back and carry me home
Away from this long lonely nights
I'm reaching for you, are you feeling it too
Does the feeling seem oh so right
And what would you say if I called on you now
And said that I can't hold on
There's no easy way, it gets harder each day
Please love me or I'll be gone, I'll be gone"

broncophan
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I hate Liver and Onions....

MasterShake
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Can't judge a team by one game. I remember getting blown out by the Dolphins in 2005 then going on to a 13-3 record.

Cool thing about 16 games is... there are 16 of them. If you watched the Broncos last year but stopped after 6 games you'd think we were an elite team.

We had answers most of the day but shot ourselves in the foot. For all we know the Jaguars are going to be a playoff team this year.

If you want to judge by one game, then you might as well never watch another one this season. Just assume we will lose them all and move on. While your at it, only have one drink of beer or eat one chip. Just watch one sunset, too. After all, its always going to be the same.

Losing sucks, but until you are out of it you are never "out" of it. San Diego starts slow and finishes strong every season. Lets give it some time before we panic. Even if we won that doesn't mean we go undefeated.

broncophan
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Can't judge a team by one game. I remember getting blown out by the Dolphins in 2005 then going on to a 13-3 record.

Cool thing about 16 games is... there are 16 of them. If you watched the Broncos last year but stopped after 6 games you'd think we were an elite team.

We had answers most of the day but shot ourselves in the foot. For all we know the Jaguars are going to be a playoff team this year.

If you want to judge by one game, then you might as well never watch another one this season. Just assume we will lose them all and move on. While your at it, only have one drink of beer or eat one chip. Just watch one sunset, too. After all, its always going to be the same.

Losing sucks, but until you are out of it you are never "out" of it. San Diego starts slow and finishes strong every season. Lets give it some time before we panic. Even if we won that doesn't mean we go undefeated.

A thread like this does not deserve this much common sense.....

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM

True dat. But really, until the team proves it has turned the corner you really cant blame people for being upset or skeptical. Especially when the same problems are rearing their head this early.

horsepig
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM

We're fine.

what about stopping the run when it counts?

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2010, 04:23 PM

You mean at the end of the game when we stopped the run to get the ball back around the 2 minute warning?

Krugan
09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Keeping drew under control was pretty impressive considering.

The D did its job at the end, giving the o a chance to try to tie the game.

Elevation inc
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM

We're fine.

This...we got manhandled in all our losses last year, at least this loss we were competitive.....its only game 1.....didnt we lose to miami 41-7 in game 1 the year we went 13-3....or was it the next year...its a long season people buckle up anything can happen with this team.....

scott.475
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by Moreno, for the most part. Looks like he still needs to take a little time and wait for holes to develop, but still pretty happy with him, and I have been a skeptic of his.

The Tebow play calls were horribly designed.

Offensively, I think we did better than I expected. Corell's fumble was a killer and a likely game changer.

McBean should be taken to the would shed and me McBeat. BONEHEAD!!! and probably game changing mistakes.

Special teams giving up 2 50 yard returns hurt, game changers there.

I am happier with our D than I thought I would be, and happier with the O's performance than I thought we would be.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I saw some things put there today from the team that gives me hope for the season.

- Brandon Lloyd looks like he's going to be an invaluable piece to our receiving corps. Has the ability to stretch the field and seems to come up with clutch reception after clutch reception.

- Kyle Orton. I was a big detractor of his last season but I see a lot of progression in his game. More decisive, reads the defense better. Right now if somebody gave me the choice between Cutler and Orton I'd take the latter every single time.

- Defensive secondary. Champ, Goodman, Dawkins and Hill started out strong but struggled through the second half. Even so, I don't think there is any disputing that the secondary is a very strong point on this team and it will hold us in more games than not.

- KnoMo. Have been saying it since last season - the guy is quickly going to become a premier top 3 RB in this league. Needs to work on moving North-South more than East-West but he's still young and has time to progress.

Last season the team threw us some smoke and mirrors en route to compiling their record in the first 6 weeks. They had a better W/L ratio than they should have and we all know how that ended.

The Broncos aren't world beaters but they did show some good stuff out there today. Need to work on discipline and consistency but I like what I saw more than last season.

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I saw some things put there today from the team that gives me hope for the season.

- Brandon Lloyd looks like he's going to be an invaluable piece to our receiving corps. Has the ability to stretch the field and seems to come up with clutch reception after clutch reception.

- Kyle Orton. I was a big detractor of his last season but I see a lot of progression in his game. More decisive, reads the defense better. Right now if somebody gave me the choice between Cutler and Orton I'd take the latter every single time.

- Defensive secondary. Champ, Goodman, Dawkins and Hill started out strong but struggled through the second half. Even so, I don't think there is any disputing that the secondary is a very strong point on this team and it will hold us in more games than not.

- KnoMo. Have been saying it since last season - the guy is quickly going to become a premier top 3 RB in this league.

Last season the team threw us some smoke and mirrors en route to compiling their record in the first 6 weeks. They had a better W/L ratio than they should have and we all know how that ended.

The Broncos aren't world beaters but they did show some good stuff out there today. Need to work on discipline and consistency but I like what I saw more than last season.

Good points. My only problem is Horsepower was at the game and said something totally different about Orton's inability to find the open targets and holding onto the ball too long.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
And Scott is bang on as well. ST's were a killer today.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM

- KnoMo. Have been saying it since last season - the guy is quickly going to become a premier top 3 RB in this league. Needs to work on moving North-South more than East-West but he's still young and has time to progress.

Correct on Orton. And better pass protection will bring on even better decisions.

Also, a better pass rush will make the secondary look a whole lot better.

And KM was ballin' today . . . :nod:

-----

I Eat Staples
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Our defense looks really bad. Orton was sharp between the 20s, but like last year, he all of a sudden becomes ineffective in the redzone. I really like Orton, and he made some nice plays and looked sharp, but he's so far from being a clutch QB at this point. We had some missed opportunities, but it all comes down to not being able to score in the redzone. This isn't new for us, and will more than likely plague us all year.

Our defense got pushed around ever since the Jags scored their first TD. Our secondary is supposed to be good, but really, who do we have? Bailey took Sims-Walker out of the game, but Goodman isn't that good and Dawkins is average at best in coverage. Hill is below average. We couldn't stop Garrard because we can't force incomplete passes. And we have absolutely no pass rush.

Don't expect much from our running game. I have no idea where the high expectations for Moreno came from coming into this year. We're not a running team, and Moreno just isn't a great HB.

I do believe we didn't lose much without Marshall. You don't need a star WR to be a successful passing team. Orton will put up yards, but we need to score in the redzone. He still hasn't shown he can do that. He has the same problems Cutler does. Cutler throws picks, and Orton can't complete a pass inside the 20.

Our defense is old and the expectations for our D-Line were unrealistically high. Don't expect much from our defense this year. I wasn't nearly as optimistic as many people, but even I expected us to be 8-8. I'm very disappointed right now, I just watched a team that will have to struggle to win 6 games. If our defense doesn't get it together, it's going to be a long year.

I Eat Staples
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I am happier with our D than I thought I would be, and happier with the O's performance than I thought we would be.

Why? That doesn't make sense, the Jaguars are a bottom 10 team and our defense looked terrible ever since the 2 minute warning of the first half. And Moreno didn't do a damn thing.

JDL
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Personally, I saw a lot of positives...

really what killed us were the mistakes - particularly

1) Matt Willis absolutely blowing his lane on that kickoff coverage

and

2) Ryan McBean subsequently costing the team 30yds in personal foul yardage.

That really was a killer

JDL
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Why? That doesn't make sense, the Jaguars are a bottom 10 team and our defense looked terrible ever since the 2 minute warning of the first half. And Moreno didn't do a damn thing.

Jaguars are NOT a bottom 10 team... they are 23-25 I believe the last 3 years. They are a middle of the road NFL team... Denver played toe to toe with them... which should be expected... Denver is a middle of the road team itself. The team just needs to be a lot more disciplined.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Actually, we did. MJD was held under 100 yds (last I saw, 97) and they had ZERO rushing TDs. After Jacksonville scored late, the offense couldn't convert on 4th down and the defense got them the ball back at the 2 minute warning with a timeout left. 2 opportunities with good field position and zero points to show for it is on the offense.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM

and

That really was a killer

Nobody facemasked MJD on the second penalty. He was tackled by Haggan around the legs. No Bronco touched him above the waist on that play. Even the Jags fans I was sitting next to were baffled. We got to watch the replay about 4 times on the jumbotron.

You also forgot Buckhalter fumbling in the red zone and Orton with a terrible INT to end the game. We turned the ball over twice. They didn't. They win.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I do believe we didn't lose much without Marshall. You don't need a star WR to be a successful passing team. Orton will put up yards, but we need to score in the redzone. He still hasn't shown he can do that. He has the same problems Cutler does. Cutler throws picks, and Orton can't complete a pass inside the 20.

One thing I found very disheartening was that late in the game and in the redzone we always kept our TEs in to block and never once attempted to use Decker. He never saw the field on offense. He played STs, but you'd think if he would've been the target on the attempted fade to Lloyd he'd have had a better shot at getting both feet down. When I scanned the field today, there wasn't a WR over 6' tall ever. Willis got some time in 4 WR sets (but was never thrown to and struggled to get open on the outside vs Mathis) but Decker never did.

Not even in those big sets where we stacked the LOS with big bodies and threw out of occasionally. Seriously, Dan Gronkowski (who's been on the team a week) played in the offense and was even targeted (had one catch for zero yards), but Decker NEVER ONCE set foot on the field on offense. Really? Wasn't he our top WR in the preseason? I just don't understand it. He would've had a field day with Jacksonville's undersized and not overly fast secondary.

Northman
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
One thing I found very disheartening was that late in the game and in the redzone we always kept our TEs in to block and never once attempted to use Decker. He never saw the field on offense. He played STs, but you'd think if he would've been the target on the attempted fade to Lloyd he'd have had a better shot at getting both feet down. When I scanned the field today, there wasn't a WR over 6' tall ever. Willis got some time in 4 WR sets (but was never thrown to and struggled to get open on the outside vs Mathis) but Decker never did.

Not even in those big sets where we stacked the LOS with big bodies and threw out of occasionally. Seriously, Dan Gronkowski (who's been on the team a week) played in the offense and was even targeted (had one catch for zero yards), but Decker NEVER ONCE set foot on the field on offense. Really? Wasn't he our top WR in the preseason? I just don't understand it. He would've had a field day with Jacksonville's undersized and not overly fast secondary.

I noticed early on with gamecast that we were able to use Graham in the passing game a little bit but seems like we went away from that. Did they even try to have TE's run routes down there?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Correct on Orton. And better pass protection will bring on even better decisions.

Also, a better pass rush will make the secondary look a whole lot better.

And KM was ballin' today . . . :nod:

-----

I hate to differ, but none of the sacks Orton took today were on the O-line. Blame the WRs for not uncovering (even though they looked open to me) or whatever, but Orton always had a pocket and got at least 5 secs on each of his sacks. His second and third he patted the ball at least three times while standing in the pocket (they replayed all of Orton's sacks about 10 times each on the big screen for the Jags fans so you really got a good look at them). Each time, his eyes never left his primary WR because he was waiting for him to uncover. All could've been easy throw aways, too.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Nobody facemasked MJD on the second penalty. He was tackled by Haggan around the legs. No Bronco touched him above the waist on that play. Even the Jags fans I was sitting next to were baffled. We got to watch the replay about 4 times on the jumbotron.

You also forgot Buckhalter fumbling in the red zone and Orton with a terrible INT to end the game. We turned the ball over twice. They didn't. They win.

I'm surprised more hasn't been said of that awful throw by Orton, so I'll say it:
It was an awful throw. He had no choice but to throw it somewhere, but I think
he ought to have sailed it over the heads of everyone and lived to make another
play. But, other than that, I was pleased by his game, for the most part . . .

I hate to differ, but none of the sacks Orton took today were on the O-line. Blame the WRs for not uncovering (even though they looked open to me) or whatever, but Orton always had a pocket and got at least 5 secs on each of his sacks. His second and third he patted the ball at least three times while standing in the pocket (they replayed all of Orton's sacks about 10 times each on the big screen for the Jags fans so you really got a good look at them). Each time, his eyes never left his primary WR because he was waiting for him to uncover. All could've been easy throw aways, too.

Could you actually see his eyes?

But from what I have read, perhaps Orton ought to pay a little more attention
to Eddie. It was said he was open a lot . . .

-----

scott.475
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Nobody facemasked MJD on the second penalty. He was tackled by Haggan around the legs.

I don't know how we could have seen two different things. I already deleted the game but I clearly saw, and replayed a couple times, and McBean clearly had a hold of the carrier's face mask. That is what makes it so frustrating, you are right that he was certainly going down when McBean grabbed him, the face mask did nothing to contribute to the play. Are you saying the tackle was made before McBean grabbed the face mask?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I noticed early on with gamecast that we were able to use Graham in the passing game a little bit but seems like we went away from that. Did they even try to have TE's run routes down there?

Actually late in the 4th, they started splitting Graham out into the slot and even wide sometimes but they never looked his way and I didn't look at him enough to see if he was getting open. On every passing snap my reads were always Royal (I tell you that guy should've been targeted every play except the INT because every other play but that one he was open), then Lloyd, then Gaffney. Typically by then, the play was over. Royal was almost always open, Gaffney and Lloyd were 50/50 depending on who got doubled or who got defended by Mathis (he's still a pretty darn good CB).

During the last two drives, we went 4 or even 5 WRs a couple of times and Decker was never out there. If we were 5, it was Lloyd, Gaff, Royal, Willis and Graham. No Decker.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't know how we could have seen two different things. I already deleted the game but I clearly saw, and replayed a couple times, and McBean clearly had a hold of the carrier's face mask. That is what makes it so frustrating, you are right that he was certainly going down when McBean grabbed him, the face mask did nothing to contribute to the play. Are you saying the tackle was made before McBean grabbed the face mask?

On the first run, absolutely. The second run, nobody touched MJD's facemask. Now it's possible that McBean facemasked an Olineman or something thast wasn't shown in the replay, but he sure didn't facemask MJD.

spikerman
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
From a tv watcher's perspective, I thought Orton played pretty well. I know what you mean about not us tv viewers not being able to see other open receivers. I was at the last game of the year last year against the Chiefs and Brandon Stokley was running free all game, but wasn't thrown to very often. That's neither here nor there since it's in the past I guess. Like I said, I was happy with the way Orton played today, but I did notice that when he feels pressure, he is very quick to pull the ball down and tuck it instead of still trying to look to throw. I guess that's because he wants to protect the ball and I have no problem with that most of the time, but there were a couple of times today where I thought he pulled it down and tucked it way before he had to. I did like watching him take off running a couple of times today. You could time him with a sundial, but it gives the defense something else to think about.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised more hasn't been said of that awful throw by Orton, so I'll say it:
play. But, other than that, I was pleased by his game, for the most part . . .

I don't think he saw the Safety at all. He watched Eddie from the snap and threw the ball as soon as he cleared the under coverage of the LB. The Safety may have got Kyle with the T-rex vision (if you don't move, I can't see you) becasue the Safety was probably 2 feet from where he initially started and just reached out and grabbed it. As soon as Kyle threw it everyone knew it was a pick and there was a loud "NO" by all the Broncos fans near me as soon as it left his hands because everyone saw what was going to happen.

Could you actually see his eyes?

But from what I have read, perhaps Orton ought to pay a little more attention
to Eddie. It was said he was open a lot . . .

-----

On the second sack, yes because the camera angle was right at his face. the third sack, no because the camera angle was behind him, but his head never moved. He was looking left the whole time and just patting the ball. I actually had time on both sacks to yell... "get rid of the ball Kyle, get rid of the ball Kyle, GET RID OF THE BALL, KYLE!!!! before he was hit and that was after 1-2 seconds at the top of his drop. 5-6 seconds, easy.

Bronco9798
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
The problem I have is not completing drives in the 1st half. We should of been up 17-0 at one point at least. You can't go on the road and come away with no points when you are moving the ball like we did early on. That comes back to haunt you and it did.

The Special teams were horrible in giving up field position. JAX scored on some short field possessions. That's also disturbing.

Moreno, I'm not a big fan at all. Our running game lacks explosiveness. Moreno can bumble and stumble for some yards, and only had one big run. He will never ever be a threat to break a long TD run. He's just not that quick. Our running game is a real disappointment.

I thought Orton played a pretty good game overall. Those plays with Tebow in were noting but throw away downs. That was not encouraging at all to see us throw downs away.

Anyway, GO BRONCOS!!! Hope we get better in some areas soon.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
From a tv watcher's perspective, I thought Orton played pretty well. I know what you mean about not us tv viewers not being able to see other open receivers. I was at the last game of the year last year against the Chiefs and Brandon Stokley was running free all game, but wasn't thrown to very often. That's neither here nor there since it's in the past I guess. Like I said, I was happy with the way Orton played today, but I did notice that when he feels pressure, he is very quick to pull the ball down and tuck it instead of still trying to look to throw. I guess that's because he wants to protect the ball and I have no problem with that most of the time, but there were a couple of times today where I thought he pulled it down and tucked it way before he had to. I did like watching him take off running a couple of times today. You could time him with a sundial, but it gives the defense something else to think about.

Don't get me wrong, Kyle did have a solid game and looked like a world-beater on the last drive of the 1st half. Hell, I pointed out to my son that it only took 16 seconds of clock time for us to score on that drive. They kicked off at :50, after the return, it was :40. The Broncos scored with :24 left on the clock. Amazing!

The problem was, he didn't carry any of that into the second half. He looked slower in his reads and more confused as if the defense's adjustments were getting to him. He'll be fine, but he's just not going to win many games without a lot of help.

spikerman
09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, Kyle did have a solid game and looked like a world-beater on the last drive of the 1st half. Hell, I pointed out to my son that it only took 16 seconds of clock time for us to score on that drive. They kicked off at :50, after the return, it was :40. The Broncos scored with :24 left on the clock. Amazing!

The problem was, he didn't carry any of that into the second half. He looked slower in his reads and more confused as if the defense's adjustments were getting to him. He'll be fine, but he's just not going to win many games without a lot of help.
Yeah, I was curious about that quick scoring drive. Did Jax go into a "prevent"? It was tough to tell on tv, but it looked pretty damn easy to move the ball all of a sudden.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I was curious about that quick scoring drive. Did Jax go into a "prevent"? It was tough to tell on tv, but it looked pretty damn easy to move the ball all of a sudden.

That's what it looked like to me, but it was the damndest thing because their Safeties and LBs weren't really moving around much and their Safeties weren't very deep. On the big lloyd catch, they played a man on the corners, everyone else zone look. Everyone saw the Lloyd catch coming because IIRC, it was play action and I elbowed my son and screamed, "Lloyd's got him beat!, Lloyd's got him beat!" and like clockwork Kyle fired it to him. Maybe the play action froze the Safety, but the Corner had no help over the top which is rare (and bad play by their defense) if they are playing prevent.

When I played Safety in high school and we went to a prevent style defense, I was always coached not to bite on the run no matter what because I was the last line of defense and if you're playing prevent, the other team's running game is usually pretty worthless, anyway (especially because it eats precious clock).

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
This game obviously stings, but I wouldn't get too up in arms over it. Don't forget that Jax is a playoff team if Indy doesn't lay down for the Jets last year. Now their #2 WR has matured and they completely re-did their DLine. I don't believe they are the slouch most feel they are. No excuses though, still a game we could have won. We competed and had chances. I will hardly blame McDaniels for back to back face mask penalties at a key moment in the game...by the same guy. And as much as ya may wanna downplay it, the west coast to east coast for 1PM game rule does apply. I think the wast teams are winning these at a whopping 10% clip.

I Eat Staples
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM

and

That really was a killer

Positives from a loss are few and far between, and I can't find any in this game other than Orton. And from what I'm hearing, even that may be fool's gold...

Jaguars are NOT a bottom 10 team... they are 23-25 I believe the last 3 years. They are a middle of the road NFL team... Denver played toe to toe with them... which should be expected... Denver is a middle of the road team itself. The team just needs to be a lot more disciplined.

The Jags have one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL, a terrible secondary, and one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Denver is a middle of the road team, Jacksonville is slightly worse than that.

Well McD has shown that he doesn't know how to call plays or substitute, and that's more evidence of it.

And I've been saying that it's foolish to have any expectations for Willis just because of preseason. He's not a good player and he never will be, you can count on that. The only receiver I was pleasantly surprised with was Lloyd, he played well. I wouldn't count on him for 16 games though, he's inconsistent and doesn't show up when it matters.

On the first run, absolutely. The second run, nobody touched MJD's facemask. Now it's possible that McBean facemasked an Olineman or something thast wasn't shown in the replay, but he sure didn't facemask MJD.

The facemask wasn't on MJD, it was away from the play. I didn't see it myself, though.

That was a problem with Orton last year. He starts off well but when the defense adjusts, he doesn't.

gobroncsnv
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Did anybody notice Graham caught the ball when thrown to? I still think there's nothing wrong with his hands.
Regarding McBean, it was pretty clear from what I saw that he grabbed the facemask on both of those plays.
If I'm McD, McBean's doing multiple laps around 470 this next week.

KCL
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Psssst...it's only the first game... :doh:

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Is it me, or are there ALWAYS a bunch of "newbies" with >50 posts that always start the PANIC THE SEASON IS OVER THREADS after a loss??

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM

McBean was justly penalized both times :sad:

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
play.

Some goes on the coach as well. When the offense is running down the field and their leader, Orton, is as confused about running another play or taking a TO, take the TO and make sure everybody is in sync and together.

Tned
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Did anybody notice Graham caught the ball when thrown to? I still think there's nothing wrong with his hands.
Regarding McBean, it was pretty clear from what I saw that he grabbed the facemask on both of those plays.
If I'm McD, McBean's doing multiple laps around 470 this next week.

I've found him to be a good receiver ever since he came to Denver. He can't stretch the field like Scheffler did, but he is a very solid ALL round TE, since he can block almost as well as tackle and is a good receiver.

McBean was justly penalized both times :sad:

I'm in a hotel and watched it on DirecTV to go and don't feel like connecting to my slingbox to watch the second facemask, but am about 98% positive that McBean did in fact deserve the facemask. It was not away from the runner, it was on McBean. The only reason I have 2% doubt is that it is "possible" that his hand hovered over and didn't grasp the facemask, but I don't think that's the case as MJD's head turned in coordination with McBean's hand moving.

frauschieze
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm in a hotel and watched it on DirecTV to go and don't feel like connecting to my slingbox to watch the second facemask, but am about 98% positive that McBean did in fact deserve the facemask. It was not away from the runner, it was on McBean. The only reason I have 2% doubt is that it is "possible" that his hand hovered over and didn't grasp the facemask, but I don't think that's the case as MJD's head turned in coordination with McBean's hand moving.

I will attest with 100% surety to the calls. McBean CLEARLY wrapped his fingers around the facemask both times. There was zero question from the television replay angles that the right call was made.

Unfortunately, and to my great dismay (and probably my neighbors' as well as I was cursing a blue streak). :mad:

tomjonesrocks
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't expect this team to win many games this year but as for what's different from my perspective--

* Royal seems alive again and was in the mix. Good to see.
* Moreno looked his usual slow self but ran hard and made a few people miss. Not safeties though (again--he's too damn slow)--as the announcers pointed out on at least one occasion outright. Still he looked better today than in most of last season. He's still not a franchise RB though and the team needs to draft another RB of similar or superior talent as a change of pace.
* Orton threw a couple 20+ yard passes--and though they weren't impressive in their velocity--they got to where they needed to be.
* Ayers didn't look bad. Still, without Doom, clearly the team is in trouble--big trouble.

Nothing to make me think a 5-11 season is less probable but the team didn't get rolled over at least.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Some goes on the coach as well. When the offense is running down the field and their leader, Orton, is as confused about running another play or taking a TO, take the TO and make sure everybody is in sync and together.

Hmmm . . . that makes me wonder whether Orton was confused about taking a
time out, or whether he was confused as to whether McDaniels wanted him to
take one. Could McD be micro-managing just a bit much? I'm not saying whether
he is or isn't. Just pondering . . .

-----

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 11:05 PM

-----

Even Solomon Wilcotts and the other announcer could see it as confusion by Orton as to call a play or take a TO. If they can see it McD should too and should take the TO and calm people down. Maybe the result would be the same BUT TO's are useless once the game ends :tsk:

Tned
09-13-2010, 01:13 AM

-----

Or just lack of confidence on Orton's part. Who knows. The only thing we know is we lost do to a variety of team mistakes, ending with a bad INT by Orton.