PDA

View Full Version : It's going to be a long year.

CrazyHorse
09-12-2010, 03:30 PM
We couldn't even beat the Jags...

BroncoBJ
09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Let the threads and panic attacks begin...........

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Just got whacked against the weakest opponent this season. They will be lucky to win 4 games. McDaniels is a liability. His play calling sucks.

Overtime
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
orton sucks, mcdaniels sucks. buckhalter really sucks.

Brandon Lloyd had a spectacular game...but needs to work on his damn field awareness.

not panic time yet, but that was a garbage effort against an even bigger garbage team. :tsk:

Northman
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I called a 7-9 season with this being a loss. So far, pretty much on schedule.

BroncoBJ
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Just got whacked against the weakest opponent this season. They will be lucky to win 4 games. McDaniels is a liability. His play calling sucks.

I actually liked his play calling for the most part today. And I thought we executed them pretty well. Stupid Penalties and the Buck turnover really hurt. But I really liked our play calling today. But still, the loss sucked.

gnomeflinger
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Now the Jags can say, "We're undefeated!"

frauschieze
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I would like to concur with Clay.....I hate bubble screens.

broncophan
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
yea....I figure around 8-8 but thought we would get this win....even on the road....where we were not supposed to win.

McBean and those 2 penalties were killers on the Jags last drive....you just can't give a team 30 frickin yards like that......and McD....needs to send him on his way.....sure there were other mistakes etc....but absolutely no excuses for those 2 dumbass penalties.....none...zero.....damn....

cuzz4169
Play calling blows!!! so predictable.......

silkamilkamonico
I think Bowlen should sell this god forsaken organization and the new owner should move someplace else more worthy myself.

cuzz4169
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Just wanna know if any of our outside linebackers can control the edge!!!???

turftoad
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I think we need to get used to it. I see more of this to come. :tsk:

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Play calling blows!!! so predictable.......

And the "offensive genius" givesTebow 2 whole plays in the 1st half - up the middle runs where Jags KNEW what was going to happen. Afterwards, Tebow simply disappears.

D1g1tal j1m
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM
McBean really helped the Jags with those two personal foul penalties that gave them 30 free yards on their game winning drive. He may have to turn his playbook in on the check in for the flight home.
Our special teams gave the Jags great field position all day on their returns.
Our passing game was solid and Orton looked like the general all day making great throws. He spread the ball around in the first half but tended to lock into Lloyd in the second half (ala Marshall from last year), I hope he doesn't make this a trend. Lloyd is good but our offense sputtered in the 4th due to it.
It's only game one, and I liked what I saw from our passing game. Our running game looked ok, considering that Knowshon and Bucky did not play in the preseason and our shuffled Oline. Our passrush in the second half was a step slow but did get pressure but Gerrard and MJD made plays to win them the game.

D1g1tal j1m
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Tebow did not warrant playing in the second half. In a close game, we don't need gimmick plays and Orton was making great throws and decisions (until that last pick).

honz
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I don't see us winning a game this season.

frauschieze
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I don't see us winning a game this season.

Flip flopper. :hi:

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Tebow did not warrant playing in the second half. In a close game, we don't need gimmick plays and Orton was making great throws and decisions (until that last pick).

And McDoofus does not warrant NFL coaching for any length of time. Clueless little Hitler clone.

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
On the bright side, Denver doesn't play well early on the east coast and this team looked better than Shanahan's did. I recall an opener against a brand new Nick Saban Miami team to open 5 years ago on the road :eek:

Moreno looks much improved. Got to find a way to let that kid grind it out!

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM
And McDoofus does not warrant NFL coaching for any length of time. Clueless little Hitler clone.

Likening anyone to Hitler is just wrong esp a football coach

honz
09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
OK.

Medford Bronco
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I called a 7-9 season with this being a loss. So far, pretty much on schedule.

I said 7-9 this year as well with today being a loss.

losing dumervil hurts bad.

BroncoNut
09-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Just wanna know if any of our outside linebackers can control the edge!!!???

saw alot of that.

atwater27
09-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Exhibit A on why we should not be allowed to namecall coaches and players...

MileHiWildcat
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Awwww...will dat hurt wittle millionaire Joshie's feeluns ????

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Hitler should just be a banned word. Period. Oh well, I am glad others are calling it out as well. That is beyond poor taste.

6-10 is still within sight.

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM

True, but lets be real. Many people likened Shanny to Napolean. Its just some dude calling him names, it means nothing unless you let it.

D1g1tal j1m
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Also, we deserve to lose that game due to the fact we have a kicker with mismatched tribal tattoos on his arms. No kicker should be allowed to suit up with those ugly things on their arms. It doesn't accentuate his guns on his arms, he should have gotten them on his thighs...

Elevation inc
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM

really??? pretty sure the jags could slam St louis/Seattle/Arizona and probally even play san fran tough...ever year a team gets written off and is asumed a auto win....its the NFL things change every year....the jags have always been a tough opponent for us......

Elevation inc
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM

MODS????? i wanna report post

spikerman
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
It's early and there's no need to put too much emphasis on one game, but I'll go back to a theme I've harped on all off-season. There just aren't any playmakers (explosive players) on offense. Denver is going to have to methodically move the ball down the field every drive since they don't have a homerun hitter. The problem with that is that any little mistake, such as a penalty really puts the team behind the 8 ball. Obviously, it increases the odds of a turnover as well.

Denver's defense looked ok. It's not horrible, but definitely not dominant enough to make up for a very "workman" like offense. Slightly off topic, but can someone volunteer to teach Ayers another move besides the bull rush?

Like I said, it's only the first game and I wouldn't want to read too much into it, but there are definite warning signs. Hopefully they can right the ship and use the next week to explain to McBean that grabbing and pulling a facemask is illegal.

weazel
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
http://tribewithted.mlblogs.com/panic-button.jpg

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
http://mydailyclarity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/nuclear-bomb.jpg

underrated29
09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
We always lose to jax. Get over it. I still had us going 11-5 with a loss to jax before the season even started. So far for me, we are right on schedule. I did think our offense would put up a few more, but then again I also thought our pass defense would be able to stop the jags wideouts.

Anyhow, no biggie, still pissed, but we will put it all together.

atwater27
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
MODS????? i wanna report post

Don't bother. It is within the rules, unless we do something about it as a group. Go let your feelings be known in the town hall so we can change this ugly issue.

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
We always lose to jax. Get over it. I still had us going 11-5 with a loss to jax before the season even started. So far for me, we are right on schedule. I did think our offense would put up a few more, but then again I also thought our pass defense would be able to stop the jags wideouts.

Anyhow, no biggie, still pissed, but we will put it all together.

I predicted 7-9 with this loss too.

atwater27
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
http://tribewithted.mlblogs.com/panic-button.jpg

It's the same thing different year. We win our opener, we are locks for the super bowl and world beaters... We lose the opener, coaches need to be fired and talk begins about having the 1st over all pick in next years draft. (That is unless we traded next years first for a crappy player.) :D

spikerman
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
It's the same thing different year. We win our opener, we are locks for the super bowl and world beaters... We lose the opener, coaches need to be fired and talk begins about having the 1st over all pick in next years draft. (That is unless we traded next years first for a crappy player.) :D
I hear the Lions might make Alphonso Smith available.

underrated29
09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
I predicted 7-9 with this loss too.

We'll, without sounding cocky, lets hope I am right.:woot:

topscribe
09-12-2010, 05:28 PM
And the "offensive genius" givesTebow 2 whole plays in the 1st half - up the middle runs where Jags KNEW what was going to happen. Afterwards, Tebow simply disappears.

The Jags knew what was going to happen when Tebow came into the game.
They very likely practiced against it. Their coach said he fully expected Josh to
put Tebow in the game. Nothing was a surprise, so nothing was going to work.

And Tebow is not Michael Vick. Running plays by him in the NFL are generally
not going to be successful . . .

-----

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Guys I understand the panic, and because I'm in Mass I can't watch the game. Things we have to consider are that we (as far as I remember) have tanked a lot of games early in previous seasons and gone on to have a decent season. Although this is a reason to get upset and nervous don't panic yet. We all want to just blame McDaniels and Orton, but let's let this play out a little more

Dzone
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
that Orton slide two yards from a first down was totally wimpy...I mean, I like Orton ok, but come on...he laid down on that one way to soon. Wonder if we would have won with Tebow in there...Probably..at least he would have gotten that first down

muse
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
that Orton slide two yards from a first down was totally wimpy...I mean, I like Orton ok, but come on...he laid down on that one way to soon. Wonder if we would have won with Tebow in there...Probably..at least he would have gotten that first down

Probably because last time he had a collision with an LB it hurt. A lot.

I'm not too worried, Jax aren't the strongest team we'll face, but they're physical and we hung with them (unlike the Shanny days...). All the conditions stacked against us too, early game, humidity and the lightning break kind of stole our momentum.

Special teams worry me again though, I thought we were starting to sort that shit out...maybe not.

spikerman
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM

I imagine that had it been a 3rd or 4th down Orton would have gone head first. No reason to sacrifice yourself at that point. I had no problem with him sliding there.

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
but they're physical and we hung with them (unlike the Shanny days...).

Second time ive seen this quote. When it came to Jax we still lost under Shanahan but we werent blown out like you guys claim.

2008- lost 24-17
2007- lost 23-10
2005- Won 20-7
2004- Lost 7-6

I really wouldnt call those beatdowns or non competitive.

I Eat Staples
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't understand how anyone could take anything positive from this game, aside maybe from Orton's play. But even Orton looked bad in the redzone. He moves the ball easily between the 20s, but can't score in the redzone. Just like Cutler.

I don't get what people could possibly be saying good about Moreno. First of all, we aren't a running team. Second of all, Moreno isn't a great back.

And our defense looks completely terrible. We forced 1 punt in the second half, I believe. Only positive play was the turnover on downs. The Jags are a terrible offense, Garrard is a bottom 10 QB. But we made them look great. Our defense is bad.

atwater27
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't understand how anyone could take anything positive from this game, aside maybe from Orton's play. But even Orton looked bad in the redzone. He moves the ball easily between the 20s, but can't score in the redzone. Just like Cutler.

I don't get what people could possibly be saying good about Moreno. First of all, we aren't a running team. Second of all, Moreno isn't a great back.

And our defense looks completely terrible. We forced 1 punt in the second half, I believe. Only positive play was the turnover on downs. The Jags are a terrible offense, Garrard is a bottom 10 QB. But we made them look great. Our defense is bad.

Moreno is a good back. Just needs to get back to 100 percent. He also needs to be more involved in the passing game. If you look at New England, Kevin Faulk is used extensively in that offense as a pass catcher. I would like to see that in our offense.

Midnight Blue
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with the Orton slide... it was the smart move. I mean, let's face it, Tebow is not ready to start in the NFL yet and from what I saw in preseason, it would suck to ever have to rely on Quinn as the starter. Like him or not, we live or die with Orton this year.

spikerman
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm only getting glimpses of the SF vs. SEA game on the RZ Channel, but next week's game against Seattle looks like it could be VERY tough.

CrazyHorse
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm only getting glimpses of the SF vs. SEA game on the RZ Channel, but next week's game against Seattle looks like it could be VERY tough.

The Hawks are looking pretty good.

underrated29
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM

How many red zone trips did we have that he didnt score on?

You obviously have no clue what makes a good RB. Our run blocking was not very good this game and moreno still had a good game. He is a good back. A very very very good running back.

I am with you about the defense. We will miss Doom a lot more than I thought. If we could just get someone who can rush the QB this game would have been different. So we better bring the heat because this was not working.

KCL
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Cheer up guys...it's just the first game...I know it sucks to lose...I had a feeling Orton was going to throw a pick.I started watching in the 3rd QTR when the Jags got their 2nd TD then with the delay went to the Texans/Colts game.I wasn't sad to see Indy lose.I may need some comforting after tomorrow night..I hope not.I hope the Chiefs don't stink it up all over Arrowhead..late game as we play the 2nd game.

I do have a question..after Royal made the one handed catch..great catch btw..it's a shame it wasn't a TD for all the effort he put into it..anyway I stepped away and when I came back the Jags had the ball..what happened on that drive after Royal was ruled OOB?

I Eat Staples
09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Moreno is a good back. Just needs to get back to 100 percent. He also needs to be more involved in the passing game. If you look at New England, Kevin Faulk is used extensively in that offense as a pass catcher. I would like to see that in our offense.

I agree, Moreno is a good pass catcher. But he's not that fast and he tires out easily. I don't see him as an every-down back.

How many red zone trips did we have that he didnt score on?

Two. The first possession of the game we got to the 19, and took a penalty and then a sack. The sack was inexcusable, we were in FG range and Orton has to either make a play or throw the ball away. The second redzone possession we turned the ball over on downs, we had a 3rd and 3 and a 4th and 3 and Orton failed to convert.

You obviously have no clue what makes a good RB. Our run blocking was not very good this game and moreno still had a good game. He is a good back. A very very very good running back.

Moreno isn't that fast, he tires out easily, he's not durable, and he's not good in short yardage. He's an average back and I don't see him as an every-down back.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
really??? pretty sure the jags could slam St louis/Seattle/Arizona and probally even play san fran tough...ever year a team gets written off and is asumed a auto win....its the NFL things change every year....the jags have always been a tough opponent for us......

Not to mention they were on the cusp of the playoff last year til Indy gave the Jets a gift. Jags are not the slouch you all think they are. They play sound, controlled football. Now they have a Dline to go w/ the LBs as well as a real Wr who seems to have matured from last year. Any squad w/ Sims-Walker as a #2 WR has some weapons. And let's not forgot how much respect/attention MJD needs. They're not the Patriots, but they'll be a tough out for anyone.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 08:08 PM
And our Oline should improve w/ time too. We have 2 rooks starting and still some injury issues.

BroncoNut
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Cheer up guys...it's just the first game...I know it sucks to lose...I had a feeling Orton was going to throw a pick.I started watching in the 3rd QTR when the Jags got their 2nd TD then with the delay went to the Texans/Colts game.I wasn't sad to see Indy lose.I may need some comforting after tomorrow night..I hope not.I hope the Chiefs don't stink it up all over Arrowhead..late game as we play the 2nd game.

I do have a question..after Royal made the one handed catch..great catch btw..it's a shame it wasn't a TD for all the effort he put into it..anyway I stepped away and when I came back the Jags had the ball..what happened on that drive after Royal was ruled OOB?

I think it was Mr. Lloyd's catch your referring too. I am pretty sure that was pooched away.

KCL
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I think it was Mr. Lloyd's catch your referring too. I am pretty sure that was pooched away.

It wasn't 4th down on that play was it? I was asking what happened after he was ruled out of bounds? Because when I started watching the game again..the score hadn't changed...had it?

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
My biggest concerns was the number of balls batted down at the LOS. If it's a trend, we have a big problem. If Jags D just played smart and heady, then we move on w/ mor esuccess. Time will tell.

OrangeHoof
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Also, we deserve to lose that game due to the fact we have a kicker with mismatched tribal tattoos on his arms. No kicker should be allowed to suit up with those ugly things on their arms. It doesn't accentuate his guns on his arms, he should have gotten them on his thighs...

Well, if we banned every player with crappy tattoos from the league, we'd see a 50% turnover..and you may not be able to field a Raider team at all.

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Indy, Cincy, Eagles, and the Vikings might as well give up as well...fire their coaches, bench their starting QB's and look forward to the draft because they are 0-1 also.

:rolleyes:

shank
09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
this thread is like hitler.

BigDaddyBronco
09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
It should take poison and shoot itself in the head. Hey I hear the Russians coming.

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Moreno looks MUCH better and MUCH faster. I criticised the kid last year even when this team was 6-0.

The problem with Moreno is we don't know what kind of back he is. He averages 14 carries a game. He had 15 today. The great backs don't get into a groove and going until 20+ carries. McD needs to learn how to establish the run with this kid and see if he is capable of carrying a normal NFL load.

When you spend a #12 pick on a RB, you should find out everything you have in him.

tomjonesrocks
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Sticking by my 5-11 prediction. The team gets wins against Seattle, SF in London, St. Louis, and splits the games with KC and the Raiders.

This could get REALLY ugly though with an unexpected loss against a Seattle team that unexpectedly blew out the 49ers though as the 4 games after that are Indy, Tenn, Balt, and the NYJ.

You need talent to win in the NFL and this team doesn't have enough of it. No surprises.

atwater27
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Moreno looks MUCH better and MUCH faster. I criticised the kid last year even when this team was 6-0.

The problem with Moreno is we don't know what kind of back he is. He averages 14 carries a game. He had 15 today. The great backs don't get into a groove and going until 20+ carries. McD needs to learn how to establish the run with this kid and see if he is capable of carrying a normal NFL load.

When you spend a #12 pick on a RB, you should find out everything you have in him.

It is maddening to me watching this dink and dunk passing attack. Run the ******* ball. ALOT.

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 11:07 PM
It is maddening to me watching this dink and dunk passing attack. Run the ******* ball. ALOT.

Especially on the ROAD! Run the ball, take the FG's when you have to.

Ryan Matthews was drafted in the exact SAME spot as Moreno. I assure you, barring injury, SD will run that kid more than 14 times tomorrow night. I assure you they will get everything out of him that they possibly can.

When you spend a 12th overall pick on a player, especially a RB, you have to get everything you can out of them.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Wow, were we watching the same game, or did you see it at all? Orton was
passing down field a lot! Do you realize he averaged 14 yards per completion?

-----

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Indy, Cincy, Eagles, and the Vikings might as well give up as well...fire their coaches, bench their starting QB's and look forward to the draft because they are 0-1 also.

Add the Cowboys to this list.....0-1 and after tomorrow night the Jets or the Ravens.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of coaching openings after this season with all of these 0-1 teams.

Overtime
09-12-2010, 11:57 PM

i will continue to criticize that little ******* until he shuts me up with some outstanding play which I have yet to see from him.

but what I wanna know is why did McDufus even draft him if he wasn't sure he could handle a normal load?

when you take a rb at #12, you should KNOW he can carry a full nfl load. i think mcdummy was more along the lines of "hoping" he could.

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
i will continue to criticize that little ******* until he shuts me up with some outstanding play which I have yet to see from him.

I criticised him a ton last season. I did it when this team was 5 and 6-0! I was darn near crucified for it. He warranted the criticism.

So far, this season, he looks pretty good.

but what I wanna know is why did McDufus even draft him if he wasn't sure he could handle a normal load?

when you take a rb at #12, you should KNOW he can carry a full nfl load. i think mcdummy was more along the lines of "hoping" he could.

That's been my bitch this hole time! Why draft a RB at 12 if you aren't going to run the legs off of him? SD will run Matthews tomorrow more than 15 times. In fact, he will average 25+ this season. That's what you do when you take a RB that high!

However, we cant fault Moreno for his lack of playing time. The minute he speaks up about it, he will be labeled a problem child and all the other bad things that come with it. It isn't his fault his coach isn't using him to the best of his ability.

McD: RUN THE BALL on THE ROAD!

atwater27
09-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Wow, were we watching the same game, or did you see it at all? Orton was
passing down field a lot! Do you realize he averaged 14 yards per completion?

-----

ok I worded it wrong. What did all that passing get us? A loss. I love me some defense and I love me some running game. Which is pretty much why I am not liking what I see in Denver right now. And this running with no lead back half the time is a joke as well.

Timmy!
09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Oh look, the board is in complete meltdown after a week 1 loss. Shocking. :tsk: I need a new hobby.

BroncoWave
09-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Oh look, the board is in complete meltdown after a week 1 loss. Shocking. :tsk: I need a new hobby.

I know, right? I'm really not even mad about this loss, although I've kinda gotten to the point where the result of a sports game doesn't ruin my day anymore. I haven't been watching football as long as some on here but I have learned in my 20 years on this earth that there are 16 games in an NFL season, not 1.

Like some have said today, the year we went 13-3 we got blown out in Miami in week one. We were physical and competed with the Jags today and just came up a little short. I still have faith in this team and will wait until a bit later than week 1 until I hit the panic button.

Overtime
09-13-2010, 01:16 AM
i hope "unexpected" events take place to permanently sideline orton and end his career as a Denver Bronco.

atwater27
09-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Holy meltdown Batman!
http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/robin_01.jpg

atwater27
09-13-2010, 01:33 AM
It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Tned
09-13-2010, 01:36 AM
It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Except this car is supposed to have brains...

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2010, 01:44 AM
So for everyone saying it's going to be a long year, what did you have predicted as the Broncos W/L record this year??

Did you expect them to win in Florida week one?

Tned
09-13-2010, 01:47 AM
So for everyone saying it's going to be a long year, what did you have predicted as the Broncos W/L record this year??

First, EVERYONE is not predicting it will be a long year.

Second, I believe I predicted 9 wins, but said it could be a range from 6 - 11 or so.

Third, yes, I expected them to win in Florida against a woeful Jaguars' team.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 02:19 AM

Second, I believe I predicted 9 wins, but said it could be a range from 6 - 11 or so.

the jags arent woeful, when del rio gets out of his own way they are a good team.....and will challenge for a wild card, just like they do almost evey year.......

woeful(1-5 wins)opponents we play this year.....St louis/Oaklandx2/KCx2...mediocre(6-8 wins)teams we play....Seattle/Arizona/SF/NYJ...good(9-10 wins) teams we play...JAX/TEN/INDY/SDx2...very good(11-12 wins)teams we play...Baltimore/Houston

this team falls into the mediocre to good range.....i expect us to be right in the playoff hunt just like we have every year since 2005.......hasnt been 1 year since 2005 where we havent had a great chance at a wildcard...even with the worst defense in the league a couple years ago, people forget we are in the hunt ever year regardless.....this year i think we will be a little more balanced on the back-end of our schedule and not choke, as we gel more, and inuries heal......im still very confident this is a 9 or ten win team.....

our toughest game this year now looks like the houston game? who would have thought....lol

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Why we never win in florida.....even the year we went 13-3 we got blown out by miami 41-7.......

sneakers
09-13-2010, 02:58 AM
this thread is like hitler.

http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/4592/original/GodwinsLaw.jpg?1246557769

sneakers
09-13-2010, 02:59 AM

Quit trying to pump up the Seabags.

sneakers
09-13-2010, 03:01 AM

Except for maybe Stalin.

Nomad
09-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Why we never win in florida.....even the year we went 13-3 we got blown out by miami 41-7.......

At least not in the early season!! We have won an important game their once but it was against a team from Georgia!;)

Jacksonville did enough to win and Denver did enough to lose....fumble and penalties!! Fix these things and I say we're on course for a 9-7 season!!

dogfish
09-13-2010, 03:54 AM
okay, i'm gonna post without reading anything besides the thread title and a skim of the OP (and elevation's post, which was right on). . .

it's all a matter of perspective. . . first off, i don't know how you can really say that-- it's going to be a long season--after just one game, abrring a bunch of injuries. . . i don't love losing either, but i don't know what anyone saw out there today that was unexpected. . . we looked pretty much like i thought we would-- which, quite frankly, is better than what i was expecting before TC and preseason. . .

i'm not going to commit to anything before/unless i get a chance to rewatch the game, but at first glance i saw some good to go with the bad, certainly. . . and of some encouragement to me, IMO a lot of the bad is stuff that should be correctable. . .

naturally i want to make the playoffs (nurrr!), but i think we're a longshot this year, have all along. . . it's not impossible. . . i'm not going to flip out if we don't make it, though. . . what i do want to see is some tangible progress. . . i can handle giving it some time, but i at least want some evidence that the plan is working. . . people have been calling for kubes to get the axe in houston for years now, and you're starting to see the rewards of mcnair being smarter than that and giving gary time to develop his young players, continue to turn over the roster, and grow guys in his system. . .

impatient dumbasses would've run GK out of town. . . and now schaub, daniels, johnson and some of their other guys have years together running the same scheme. and you're seeing the results. . . if foster is the legit back they've been looking for, that offense is going to be lethal. . . the defense is making strides as well. . . young guys like kareem jackson and connor barwin could be the players that unit needs to put it over the top in a year or two. . .

i think mcdaniels has a very clear and systematic plan for rebuilding this franchise-- our direction seems much more apparent to me after the draft and offseason. . . and it's quite obviously a long term approach, not a quick fix. . . both have their appeal and their problems. . . developing guys like tebow and thomas requires more patience, but the reward for success could be very substantial. . .

bowlen would seem to be on board with this approach-- deals like trading marshall and giving the recent extensions certainly aren't done without his approval. . . he said when he hired mcD that he never wanted to hire another head coach, and while this timely he wisely refrained from saying he wouldn't, i'm pretty sure he was sincere. . . barring catastrophe, JMFMCD is gonna get at least a couple more years, so you may as well get used to it. . .

*shrugs*

anyway, some initial impressions. . .

this offense might end up being pretty good, next year if not this year. . . it's still VERY much a work in progress, but we seem to have some pieces. . . it was GREAT to see royal come out of the gate productive-- last year was a huge disappointment for him, we need him to get back to making plays like he did his rookie year. . . today was a nice start-- he looks comfortable in the slot, got separation, and had better chemistry with orton. . . lloyd and gaffney continue to contribute, and look like they're both keepers at a reasonable cost. . . gives us some breathing time to develop the young guys, and killer depth if they do develop. . . this receiving corps could be freakin' wicked in a year or two, particularly if D. thomas proves to be the real deal. . .

i thought orton played prety well. . . 64% completions is very welcome from him, and i thought he showed adequate mobility inside the pocket, as well as converting first by scrambling. . . thought he sailed a couple of balls, and threw behind the receiver on a couple of crossing routes, but overall his accuracy looked a little better than last year. . . and he didn't go to the checkdowns automatically. . .

and i saw something from knowshon that i needed to-- not that he lit it up or anything, but most important to me was that he showed some BURST that he didn't have last year. . . he still made some mistakes, but he was getting through creases quicker, he broke multiple tackles, he converted a gola line opportunity. . . and he DIDN'T fumble! 4.0 YPC may not be worldbeating, but not a terrible showing after missing all of the preseason. . .

more to the point, in my mind, in regards to both orton and moreno. . .

we played today with THREE offensive lineman who were starting their frst NFL game, two of them rookies. . . and both our veteran linemen are coming off dings. . . despite that mostrous disadvantage, our offense held its own-- we were an inch or so of lloyd's cleat from tying the game at the end of the 4th quarter. . . IMO, that's not too shabby a performance with three first-game starting OLs, especially from a team that traded its only effective weapon from the previous year during the offseason. . .

there were a lot of rough edges on display for sure, but i didn't feel like the kids humiliated themselves too terribly. . . if we can get those guys up to speed this year, this offense can be so much better than it was today just from that improvement. . . i hope the coaches they brought in to replace dennison are good teachers. . .

defense has some obvious reasons for concern-- most of which we knew before today. . . i honestly didn't think the run D was too egregiously bad. . . end result wasn't very good, but some correctable mistakes did contribute. . . it looked like hunter lost outside contain a few times, which isn't shocking from a guy playing a brand new position-- i'd like to think that's something they can get cleaned up. . . D-line looks very average, which isn't news. . . i like bannan as a starter for the foreseeable future, but it's definitely an area that's going to need more fortification-- ideally in the form of a high draft pick or two, or impact FA signing/trade. . . hopefully we can survive until then. . .

covering TEs continues to be a problem, and i'm not sure it's one we're going to have a solution to unless/until mcbath gets healthy. . . giving up three TDs to a passing game like jacksonville really hurts. . . pass rush is a real concern, as we knew it would be. . . ayers and hunter both got sacks, though, so there is some hope. . . i thought ayers provided some nice pressure, which was very welcome-- seeing him and moreno contribute today was near the top of my wish list. . . at some point, i suspect we're going to have to devote a moderately high pick to finding a defensive lineman who can contribute some pass rush from the five-technique. . .

marcus thomas at least looked active. . .

we'll see. . . at this point, i pretty much feel like we are who i thought we were. . .

TimTebow15MVP
09-13-2010, 05:30 AM
lol and this is why they play the games. the broncos will be fine. we lost a close one, we shot ourselves thanks to buck and bad special teams play. we had alot of guys just coming back. the defense will get better and better. the offense will be ready to rock and roll just keep moreno in the game and leave buck on the bench. should be getting bay bay back next week also. the broncos just need to finish drives. special teams gotta be better.

Traveler
09-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry folks. It's my fault. I jinxed the team by picking them to win in the weekly Pick'em thread.

I promise not to do so for the remainder of the season. Seriously!

Now for the other reasons we lost yesterday:

Turnovers
Penalties (McBean especially)
NOT so Special Teams
Inability to cover Marcedes Lewis

I fully expected this to be a loss. Just hoping we continue to get better (and less injured) as the season goes on.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 07:48 AM
I would like to concur with Clay.....I hate bubble screens.

The ones early in the game were fine and we decent gains out of them but the one on the last drive was a waste imo.

broncofaninfla
09-13-2010, 07:52 AM
One thing that caught my attention.....The defense didn't seem nearly as aggresive under Wink. I had the Miami game on next to the Denver game, Nolan had that defense on fire. Very aggresive and effective scheme.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 08:14 AM
One thing that caught my attention.....The defense didn't seem nearly as aggresive under Wink. I had the Miami game on next to the Denver game, Nolan had that defense on fire. Very aggresive and effective scheme.

We didn't blitz a whole lot and that made it easy for Garrard, but I think it was because we were giving MJD a lot of respect. We played the run almost every play, even in passing situations. I think Wink was worried about getting burned by the draw play or screen if we blitzed.

Thnikkaman
09-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh noez, we are 0-1, its over.

Please quit being a football fan forever...

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
We didn't blitz a whole lot and that made it easy for Garrard, but I think it was because we were giving MJD a lot of respect. We played the run almost every play, even in passing situations. I think Wink was worried about getting burned by the draw play or screen if we blitzed.

i agree, hopefully we attack hassleback, because seattles ground game is nothing special and if we get to hassleback early he is done, dude hates pressure......

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Thoughts on the game.
DEN defense played a solid game considering the LBs DEN has. They just could'nt cover or seal off the edge, and that cost DEN. Plus the heat seemed to be pretty bad. The D line played great though. Just no real pass rush pressure at all. Doom is really missed.
I think WInk was afraid of letting Jones Drew run all over/screens on DEN, so he really concentrated all effort on not getting burned blitzing, which worked, but DEN apparently cant cover TEs now. Secondary was actually sub par. I will expect much more.
Orton looked good for Orton. He did his job and made the short/intermediate passes he is supposed to make. He looked like a NE QB running the system. However, he still cant throw deep accurately and its obvious. Those Lloyd catches were incredible, but like Marshall last year, how many times can Orton throw an absloute crap ball and make DENs WRs make an absolute incredible catch!?!?! That Lloyd catch in the end zone was great and in NO WAY was it Lloyds fault he didnt stay inbounds. That was an absolute horrific throw by Orton to his back shoulder.
Orton also is STILL folding like a wet paper towel at the slightest hint of pressure in the pocket. Very Jim(chris) Everett. Kinda tired of it already.
WRs were great. Lloyd should be given a bonus just for effort alone. Dude played his @$$ off.
Royal was great and looked much more physical as a player. He has suddenly developed a Welker-like straight arm, and is much more productive after the catch, running free and making players miss. I was very impressed with him. DEN has plenty of WRS. Next years draft needs to be focused on LBs and an NT. (Maybe a TE too!)
THe O-line is obviously a work in progress. Pretty good pass pro, but the running lanes need to be opened up more. Moreno had to do some really hard running. Hes gonna get beat up this year if that does not get fixed.
DEN needs to become a more potent running team, and take time off the clock a bit more to me. No real threat there as of yet.

Tned
09-13-2010, 09:20 AM

Because with all new coaches, and virtually no players from our previous visists to Florida, those types of stats are silly to rely on as an out for losing. Granted, you can argue that a Denver team isn't used to the heat and humidity of Florida, but these guys are paid to win regardless of the Stadium. Do they get an out if they lose in London, because they don't have a dominant record in London?

the jags arent woeful, when del rio gets out of his own way they are a good team.....and will challenge for a wild card, just like they do almost evey year.......

woeful(1-5 wins)opponents we play this year.....St louis/Oaklandx2/KCx2...mediocre(6-8 wins)teams we play....Seattle/Arizona/SF/NYJ...good(9-10 wins) teams we play...JAX/TEN/INDY/SDx2...very good(11-12 wins)teams we play...Baltimore/Houston

this team falls into the mediocre to good range.....i expect us to be right in the playoff hunt just like we have every year since 2005.......hasnt been 1 year since 2005 where we havent had a great chance at a wildcard...even with the worst defense in the league a couple years ago, people forget we are in the hunt ever year regardless.....this year i think we will be a little more balanced on the back-end of our schedule and not choke, as we gel more, and inuries heal......im still very confident this is a 9 or ten win team.....

our toughest game this year now looks like the houston game? who would have thought....lol

I'm pretty sure the Jags have finished last in their division the last two years and have a total of 11 or 12 wins or something like that over that time span. While woeful might have been the wrong term, they also have a long way to go to prove they 'currently' belong in the class of Indy, SD, etc. The Jags are also currently a mediocre to good, until they prove they are back to being a playoff contender. Their skid is only a bit shorter than the Broncos, but they fell further than the Broncos did.

Thnikkaman
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Thoughts on the game.
DEN defense played a solid game considering the LBs DEN has. They just could'nt cover or seal off the edge, and that cost DEN. Plus the heat seemed to be pretty bad. The D line played great though. Just no real pass rush pressure at all. Doom is really missed.
I think WInk was afraid of letting Jones Drew run all over/screens on DEN, so he really concentrated all effort on not getting burned blitzing, which worked, but DEN apparently cant cover TEs now. Secondary was actually sub par. I will expect much more.
Orton looked good for Orton. He did his job and made the short/intermediate passes he is supposed to make. He looked like a NE QB running the system. However, he still cant throw deep accurately and its obvious. Those Lloyd catches were incredible, but like Marshall last year, how many times can Orton throw an absloute crap ball and make DENs WRs make an absolute incredible catch!?!?! That Lloyd catch in the end zone was great and in NO WAY was it Lloyds fault he didnt stay inbounds. That was an absolute horrific throw by Orton to his back shoulder.
Orton also is STILL folding like a wet paper towel at the slightest hint of pressure in the pocket. Very Jim(chris) Everett. Kinda tired of it already.
WRs were great. Lloyd should be given a bonus just for effort alone. Dude played his @$$ off.
Royal was great and looked much more physical as a player. He has suddenly developed a Welker-like straight arm, and is much more productive after the catch, running free and making players miss. I was very impressed with him. DEN has plenty of WRS. Next years draft needs to be focused on LBs and an NT. (Maybe a TE too!)
THe O-line is obviously a work in progress. Pretty good pass pro, but the running lanes need to be opened up more. Moreno had to do some really hard running. Hes gonna get beat up this year if that does not get fixed.
DEN needs to become a more potent running team, and take time off the clock a bit more to me. No real threat there as of yet.

We were doing excellent with time of possesion in the first half. I am heading home for lunch today, and I plan on watching the game since I missed the 2nd half yesterday to get a better feel of what you are talking about since we lost the Time of Possession battle in the 2nd half.

Elevation inc
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Because with all new coaches, and virtually no players from our previous visists to Florida, those types of stats are silly to rely on as an out for losing. Granted, you can argue that a Denver team isn't used to the heat and humidity of Florida, but these guys are paid to win regardless of the Stadium. Do they get an out if they lose in London, because they don't have a dominant record in London?

I'm pretty sure the Jags have finished last in their division the last two years and have a total of 11 or 12 wins or something like that over that time span. While woeful might have been the wrong term, they also have a long way to go to prove they 'currently' belong in the class of Indy, SD, etc. The Jags are also currently a mediocre to good, until they prove they are back to being a playoff contender. Their skid is only a bit shorter than the Broncos, but they fell further than the Broncos did.

lol thats a insane conference with Houston/indy/and tennesse thats a absolute tough 6 wins, and they usually get tough opponents as well.....they were a top eight rushing team and went 7-9 last year because of coaching blunders to close the season.....they were no different than us last year....

to get right into it jax is like us a 8-10 win team that happened to have home field advantage and didnt make as many mistakes......

and that San fran game is what week 8....big difference between week 1 and eight dont ya think......

Jax is never been and never will be a weak game even if its in invesco, thats just how it is....deal with it.....the year they went 4-12(and injuries played a huge part here) they smashed us all over invesco with our vaunted 2008 offense.......

your thinking about Jax right now is the same thing Denver thought in 1996 when we lost to a wildcard team (Jax!!!!) with a 9-7 record......and we were AFC conference champion favorites......

Nomad
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, Jax is one of those teams that always plays the BRONCOS tough sorta like the Ravens!!

camdisco24
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
i hope "unexpected" events take place to permanently sideline orton and end his career as a Denver Bronco.

Then we really will go 0-16....

G_Money
09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
What dogfish said. In fact, whatever dogfish says I'm pretty much down with. :D

To detour a bit, one of our biggest problems is that McDaniels didn't like any of the talent he inherited, so he's going his own way, and that means that much of the current talent is YOUNG. He also drafted long-term and botched a couple of picks last year (Moreno needs to work out, Ayers is trying to get his feet under him, McBath is okay but injured, Bruton is special teams only, McKinley can't stay healthy, Olsen is nobody, etc). The only immediate-impact guy from last year's draft was Moreno and he didn't have the impact we were hoping.

It's still early, but when castoffs like Hillis are starting for other teams while you can't move the chains inside the 20 and your OL is greener than pistachio ice cream, it looks bad.

We kept Clady and Harris (both injured or recovering from injury), changed blocking schemes and offensive coaches, tossed our DC out and are now in year one of that new scheme.

The talent to fit with these new schemes is either ancient or practically virginal. Our defense is powered by guys who could retire any day and call it a great career.

Experience on defense:

Dawkins, 15 years
J-Williams, 13 years
Champ, 12 years
Hill, 10 years
Goodman, 9 years
Bannan, 9 years

We drafted a bunch of safeties to hopefully have one ready when Dawk and Hill call it, but right now I'd say the more likely option is that Champ slides over, since our young CBs look better IMO than our young safeties. We didn't draft any young DTs or LBs, so I'd expect that to come up next year (we needed it this year, but we needed a lot of things). We reworked the OL with a bunch of young guys who will all have to grow together AND be good for us to have a long-term shot. And we added a bunch of kids to the receiving corps to replace old talent (Stokley) or obnoxious talent (Marshall).

Oh yeah, and that QB drafting thing.

If McDaniels can hold onto his coaches and find workable offensive and defensive schemes, we're still a couple years out on getting this thing turned around. When Josh decided he didn't want the offensive personnel he was given, this job went from attractive to major demolition in about 2 seconds. When he decided he couldn't get along with his DC it got worse.

We're at the in-between stage on the rebuild, where the players are not in place to execute but the results are expected to improve anyway. Josh did it to himself so I don't have a lot of sympathy, but I do get how tough the job is. I'm not sold that McDaniels is the guy to manage the rebuild, but reworking the trenches is one of the hardest things to do in the NFL. If he's right, we just fixed the OL. If he's wrong, he'll get fired in a couple of years when we're still drafting and signing centers and guards in a vain attempt to complete a third-and-one play successfully.

We still have front-seven work to do, because Williams and Bannan are stopgaps and our DL behind them are extras and walkons, not stars. Our linebackers are no one's definition of world-beating playmakers. And we are limited on offense by our QB's skills and our OL's inexperience.

So we're gonna see a lot of what we saw Sunday. There'll be some nice numbers when Orton gets time, there'll be some bad numbers (run AND pass) in situations where our line can't get it together. I think the lack of cohesion in Special Teams and some of the holding and bad pass protection calls are to be expected.

~G

G_Money
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
That said, the coaches need to take advantage of the veteran talent they DO have to take pressure off the kids. We don't have a pass rush and we're trying to get it straight up with Ayers and crew while avoiding blitzing. That hangs the vets out to dry in the secondary trying to cover guys for 7 seconds. Wink had better figure out how to get pressure on a QB consistently instead of hoping for pass-protection breakdowns, even if that means employing some of what Nolan got fired for, the dreaded blitz.

Josh needs to not rely on the rookies up the middle to consistently move their guys on third-and-short. It'd be nice if they could, but if he wants to win some games early this year, he can't be giving those downs away because his rooks are ill equipped to manage the stunts and flat-out physicality of their opponents. No, this does NOT mean that we need more bubble screens. :tsk:

I salute those who think we're going 12-4, but record is not what I want to judge these particular Broncos by, whether we're 6-10 or 10-6. We need to get better as the year goes along, not worse. We need to get week-to-week consistency and find some young stars, because the older ones that we have are fading. McDaniels has a lot more talent that he needs to add before we're competing for playoff victories, but those future victories start with getting the young guys (Tebow, Decker, Bay-Bay, Royal, the whole OL, Cox, Syd, Ayers, et al) to be productive on the field and good team members off of it. If the McBeans and Quinns can't keep their heads in the game, then McDaniels will have to chop them off. He already did it with Phonz, so I at least believe he can do that.

But it can't just be firing the guys who don't get it - he's got to add those who do, vets AND kids. And they've got to be good.

Our 6-0 start last year was an illusion. I don't expect to have more of those. Josh's offense has been booked on video now. Shanahan used to run the same offense all the time, and managed to win anyway because our opponents just couldn't stop it (at least between the 20s).

They can stop this. Part of that is scheme, part of it is players. We have the OL and the WR and the QB (on the bench and in the lineup) and some of the RB that SHOULD be able to run it effectively as the season progresses. I haven't seen enough of Wink's defensive scheme to judge our players on that side of the ball for their effectiveness, but I still feel like LB is gonna be a weakness of this team this year, and our (lack of) DL depth will probably kill us as the season goes along and our vets get winded.

But that's why they play the games.

This year is a test run, a preparatory school. We haven't had many of those in the Shanahan era, so we don't really know what to do with them, but this year is about building cohesion in the two units, settling on the schemes we'll be running, and making sure the players we want to keep will fit those schemes.

For me, it's a loooooong training camp for evaluation, except we get to watch our trainees against the best players of other teams.

So I'm not gonna get too wound up in the losses or the wins. I want to see Ayers blowing by his assigned blocker(s) regularly. I want to see Cox take a couple of balls to the house and cover like a maniac if he gets a chance. I want Moreno to run like he can and not like he has, and I want to see Decker and Bay-Bay stay healthy and make opposing DBs look stupid.

And I want our damn line to pancake block some fools. :salute:

If I see that, I'll be happy. If I see us sneak past the J-Villes of the world to eke out a decent record with overmatched-but-lucky players I won't be happy.

There were some things to like in this game, and there were some obnoxious flaws. More of the former and let's clean up the latter, gentlemen. Or you AND your coaches will be looking for work - and the Denver Broncos shouldn't have to endure more delays in their return to relevance.

~G

I Eat Staples
09-13-2010, 03:26 PM

I agree. Perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on Moreno, after all we have a coach that doesn't know how to use players properly.

Sticking by my 5-11 prediction. The team gets wins against Seattle, SF in London, St. Louis, and splits the games with KC and the Raiders.

This could get REALLY ugly though with an unexpected loss against a Seattle team that unexpectedly blew out the 49ers though as the 4 games after that are Indy, Tenn, Balt, and the NYJ.

You need talent to win in the NFL and this team doesn't have enough of it. No surprises.

Rather harsh but I agree about the talent assessment.

Add the Cowboys to this list.....0-1 and after tomorrow night the Jets or the Ravens.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of coaching openings after this season with all of these 0-1 teams.

In all honesty, if the Cowboys play even similar to that for the duration of the year Wade Phillips is gone.

I really hope that you're being an idiot without wishing injury...I wouldn't wish injury on an opposing football player, let alone one of our own. And by the way, without Orton we don't have a chance in hell.

I'm sorry folks. It's my fault. I jinxed the team by picking them to win in the weekly Pick'em thread.

I promise not to do so for the remainder of the season. Seriously!

Now for the other reasons we lost yesterday:

Turnovers
Penalties (McBean especially)
NOT so Special Teams
Inability to cover Marcedes Lewis

I fully expected this to be a loss. Just hoping we continue to get better (and less injured) as the season goes on.

It wasn't just your fault. I had a gut feeling that we would lose but picked us anyway.

BroncoNut
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
It might be a long year, the Broncos may not do well or make the playoff, but I certainly am not going to let it get me depressed. Does that mean I don't care? No, it does not.

Tempus Fugit
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
The Colts must be going winless this season. They just got pummeled by a team they'd been 15-1 against throughout history.

Northman
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
The Colts must be going winless this season. They just got pummeled by a team they'd been 15-1 against throughout history.

Not a big deal really, they at least made the SB last year which is more than i can say for most teams including ours.

TimTebow15MVP
09-13-2010, 06:13 PM

u do realize this was the first game that everybody on the starting defense played together right? u are aware that the phins were playing buffalo right?

Shazam!
09-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Denver historically has not matched up well with the Jags.

One game.

Not sweating here... yet.

Lonestar
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM

One game.

well they did there.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM

One game.

That's wasn't true this time around imo. We just made to many mistakes.

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
u do realize this was the first game that everybody on the starting defense played together right? u are aware that the phins were playing buffalo right?

How many seasons are we going to make excuses? :confused:

The reality of free agency and the salary cap is game one of any season is the first time a defensive unit is playing together.

Miami was playing together for the first time with that piece of garbage DC in Nolan and all they did was stifle the Bills. Everything is new in Seattle and I don't hear the need for excuses there.

At some point we are all going to move away from moral victories and towards bottom line results.

Shazam!
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
How many seasons are we going to make excuses?

The reality of free agency and the salary cap is game one of any season is the first time a defensive unit is playing together.

Miami was playing together for the first time with that piece of garbage DC in Nolan and all they did was stifle the Bills. Everything is new in Seattle and I don't hear the need for excuses there.

At some point we are all going to move away from moral victories and towards bottom line results.

If you expected a Super Bowl juggernaut this year you're bound to be disappointed Bro.

Im more realistic, this team is in year 2 of a massive rebuilding project. A playoff chase at this juncture in the franchise Im happy.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM

How many seasons are we going to make excuses? :confused:

That's not TT15 most if not all the starters played together through most of the preseason that is when the first unit was in.

I also agree with J that at some points explanation/excuses for poor play wont cut it. The bottom line is winning.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
If you expected a Super Bowl juggernaut this year you're bound to be disappointed Bro.

Im more realistic, this team is in year 2 of a massive rebuilding project. A playoff chase at this juncture in the franchise Im happy.

Shaz where did J say anything about the Super Bowl? It certainly not in the post you quoted.

shank
09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
my broncos ideology falls somewhere between tempered optimism... and blind optimism.

this thread means nothing to me. we're going to win the damned super bowl, and no one will convince me otherwise until we (not going to happen!) lose that 8th game.

sorry to piss on this piss-parade, but this team is going places.

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Where did I mention anything specifically mentioning the record let alone my thoughts on this team and record? :confused:

I didn't!

I simply stated something that should be obvious: there is yet another strong push to sell moral victories around here. The time for those little victories and excuse making are over.

Teams rebuild. Teams rebuild and do it quickly with new QB's, systems, schemes, coaches, etc...i.e. Atlanta and Baltimore.

In case you were wondering I didn't have high expectations for this team. Like you, I would be happy with a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Even if that weren't to happen I would be happy to see some real progress and IDENTITY. But I don't want to hear about the D's struggles being because they are just getting to know one another. After all, McD chose and fired Nolan. That was his accord. McD never claimed this team was rebuilding. He said they were a playoff team last year!

At the end of the day McDaniels isn't making excuses and I don't see why we should for him.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
my broncos ideology falls somewhere between tempered optimism... and blind optimism.

this thread means nothing to me. we're going to win the damned super bowl, and no one will convince me otherwise until we (not going to happen!) lose that 8th game.

sorry to piss on this piss-parade, but this team is going places.

I hope so.

Shazam!
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Shaz where did J say anything about the Super Bowl? It certainly not in the post you quoted

I quoted Brand.

Where did I mention anything specifically mentioning the record let alone my thoughts on this team and record?

I didn't!

I simply stated something that should be obvious: there is yet another strong push to sell moral victories around here. The time for those little victories and excuse making are over.

Teams rebuild. Teams rebuild and do it quickly with new QB's, systems, schemes, coaches, etc...i.e. Atlanta and Baltimore.

In case you were wondering I didn't have high expectations for this team. Like you, I would be happy with a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Even if that weren't to happen I would be happy to see some real progress and IDENTITY. But I don't want to hear about the D's struggles being because they are just getting to know one another. After all, McD chose and fired Nolan. That was his accord. McD never claimed this team was rebuilding. He said they were a playoff team last year!

At the end of the day McDaniels isn't making excuses and I don't see why we should for him.

Take it easy man I wasnt putting words in your mouth.

As for Nolan getting fired, the D fell apart down the stretch last year. If McD wanted to go in a different direction and have more input on D, that's his perogative as a Coach.

I dont see anyone making excuses for McD either or selling moral victories. What I see is a lot of whining and trolling around here, 'just for shits and giggles'. not aimed at you of course...

Im just not hitting the panic button after week one.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 12:28 AM
I quoted Brand.

Take it easy man I wasnt putting words in your mouth.

As for Nolan getting fired, the D fell apart down the stretch last year. If McD wanted to go in a different direction and have more input on D, that's his perogative as a Coach.

I dont see anyone making excuses for McD either or selling moral victories. What I see is a lot of whining and trolling around here, 'just for shits and giggles'. not aimed at you of course...

Im just not hitting the panic button after week one.

Fair enough! I probably overreacted and I apologize for that.

However, there is a lot of excuse making following the loss. Look at TT15 claiming this is the D's first game together. I just am not one to buy into that kind of stuff. There are teams much further behind us in "rebuilding" yet their D's are nasty. Just like there is a lot of excuse making I have seen some flaming as well.

Im done for tonight.

Shazam!
09-14-2010, 08:15 AM
I wonder how Chargers fans feel today?

Could be worse.

Mike
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Could be worse.

I'm sure they are used to opening day losses. SD sucks in September.

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I come to this thread hoping to get a few laughs from the fair-weather fans - and what happens? A couple people come a long and give great explanations about where we are and some things that can be improved. Thanks there is still value on this forum.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I come to this thread hoping to get a few laughs from the fair-weather fans - and what happens? A couple people come a long and give great explanations about where we are and some things that can be improved. Thanks there is still value on this forum.

Define fair-weather fan in your own words.

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
You really don't know what that means, or you're calling me out?

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm trying to figure out if you know what it means, because I don't see what the threads made after our loss could possibly have to do with fair-weather fans.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I think it is quite clear, the poster is asking you to define, in your words, fair weather fans.

We'll wait........

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Heh, Good one.

I don't have to explain anything. If you don't know what it means, look it up.

If you're trying to start a fight or something, good luck with that too.

Here's the OP:

We couldn't even beat the Jags...

The prognosticators all had us as an underdog in that game. I thought Kyle looked way better than last year, and Lloyd was spectacular. I was really happy Royal seems to be back and loving the new role. I thought special teams killed us, and although I haven't seen the second one, I thought the first facemask on Beadles was really ticky tack and he let go quickly and it shouldn't have been called.

I thought the insertion of Tebow was crushing to that drive for many reasons and was really disappointed when it happened. I realize McD has to get the guy some seasoning so I'll give him a pass on it - but at the time, sheesh.

I'm going to watch all the games whether we go 10-6 or 0-16.

Anything else you want to know?

claymore
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Heh, Good one.

Here's the OP:

The prognosticators all had us as an underdog in that game. I thought Kyle looked way better than last year, and Lloyd was spectacular. I was really happy Royal seems to be back and loving the new role. I thought special teams killed us, and although I haven't seen the second one, I thought the first facemask on Beadles was really ticky tack and he let go quickly and it shouldn't have been called.

I thought the insertion of Tebow was crushing to that drive for many reasons and was really disappointed when it happened. I realize McD has to get the guy some seasoning so I'll give him a pass on it - but at the time, sheesh.

Are you a girl or a boy?

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Heh, Good one.

Here's the OP:

I want to know what anything on this board, or in your post, has to do with fair-weather fans. You mentioned them, not me. :confused:

If you think being negative about one loss or even the team in general makes someone a fair-weather fan, then you have no idea what it means. I assure you that a fair-weather fan would not remain a fan if they held a negative view of the team.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Fair weather fans listen to prognosticators. Fans (from fanatical) are just that.

Northman
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Might be a good idea not to come in trying to call people fair weathered fans. Other than that your post was solid one.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Might be a good idea not to come in trying to call people fair weathered fans. Other than that your post was solid one.

Agreed!

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM

I see your point - however one might assume (without reading as I did) that "it's going to be a long year" might be a thread started by a fair weather fan.

As I stated, I came in for some good chuckles and came out on the other end learning a lot...

Northman
09-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I see your point - however one might assume (without reading as I did) that "it's going to be a long year" might be a thread started by a fair weather fan.

As I stated, I came in for some good chuckles and came out on the other end learning a lot...

Meh, ive been a Bronco fan for a long time and throughout the years we've had some bad ones and most of the time you could kind of get a feel how the season might go either good or bad. The thread title might lead one to believe that particular individual is throwing in the towel already but it doesnt make them a fair weathered fan because of it. Some fans are frustrated by our struggles the last 5 or so years and when you get off to a slow start following another disappointing collapse from last year people will vent. We all want to win in the end though regardless of frustration.

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Are you a girl or a boy?

LOL just got back from Trinidad. Do the math.

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
The thread title might lead one to believe that particular individual is throwing in the towel already

My point exactly.

... but it doesnt make them a fair weathered fan because of it.

Point taken.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:50 PM

A fair weather fan wouldn't go through rough seasons with their team. They jump ship and come back when their team is winning.

I don't expect much from the Broncos, but hell, even if we went 0-16 I'd watch every game and get genuinely pissed off or excited by how they play. Having a negative view or low expectations doesn't make a fair weather fan. A fair weather fan wouldn't really care, they'd just pick a new team.

blamkin86
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm good then.

I started watching in 97 when I moved to Colorado and we make a big deal of watching the games. I had the (mis)fortune of being on the 50 yard line 12th row for the game when Vick ran all over us a number of years back.

I don't know half of what most folks here know about football but I'm learning and just love it. Technically I'm a college hoops fan but that's a whole 'nother story.

Back to the OP.

Gimpygod
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM

yes. When you purge a team of quality athletes, oust assistant coaches, alienate fans and install a super offensive system ( emphasis on offensive ) you should score more than 17 points and beat a subpar team. After all wasn't nuking a talented young team supposed to make us better?

Gimpygod
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Except for maybe Stalin.

at least Hitler didn't kill my love of football and turn this board against one another...that took someone extra evil!

Gimpygod
09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
okay, i'm gonna post without reading anything besides the thread title and a skim of the OP (and elevation's post, which was right on). . .

it's all a matter of perspective. . .
we'll see. . . at this point, i pretty much feel like we are who i thought we were. . .

we were told this was not a rebuilding process by McDaniels & Bolen. If so we had far more pieces in place pre-McD.

gnomeflinger
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I love the Broncos. I put Prater as my kicker on FF because he's my favorite. :lol: I would be surprised (and very happy) if we ended up over the .500 mark. We are a middle of the road team right now. They're just not...there yet.

dogfish
09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
we were told this was not a rebuilding process by McDaniels & Bolen.

and you believed it?

Northman
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
and you believed it?

:lol:

We definitely should know better by now.

LRtagger
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Anytime you bring in ALL new staff and FO and turnover half the roster, it is rebuilding. McDaniels and Bowlen just don't want fans to consider it a rebuilding phase because they still want the fans to think we can win....sells tickets and merchandise.

LRtagger
09-14-2010, 05:33 PM
A fair weather fan wouldn't go through rough seasons with their team. They jump ship and come back when their team is winning.

What do you call the fans that jump ship when we are winning, but come back to gloat when we are losing?

dogfish
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
:lol:

We definitely should know better by now.

you have to apply some common sense. . . we were a perpetual .500 team, with about a dozen good players, a historically bad defense, a very talented but green offense, no running backs, zero depth on either side of the ball, zero pass rush beyond dumervil, and not a single legitimate defensive lineman on the roster unless you're counting doom as an end. . .

the productivity of our ZBS, good offensive coaching/gameplanning, and cutler's arm and marshall's talent were the only things keeping that from being closer to a .250 team than .500. . .

the coach doesn't get fired when you're a good team. . . and any time you bring in a whole new coaching staff and turn over a significant portion of the roster, there's quite clearly some rebuilding going on, regardless of whether the organization and its representatives choose to use that word or not. . .

some franchises are smart and lucky enough to get it turned around quickly, while many struggle for years and have to do it three or four times or more. . . that self-perpetuating cycle of rebuilding is what i dread, and that's why i'm willing to have some patience about this (it's far from endless, but i'm really going to try, because i truly believe it's the correct approach). . .

dogfish
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
What do you call the fans that jump ship when we are winning, but come back to gloat when we are losing?

********. . .

:salute:

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Or fans who piss on the rebuilding process because they have some romantic ideal of the way things could have turned out.

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM
you have to apply some common sense. . . we were a perpetual .500 team, with about a dozen good players, a historically bad defense, a very talented but green offense, no running backs, zero depth on either side of the ball, zero pass rush beyond dumervil, and not a single legitimate defensive lineman on the roster unless you're counting doom as an end. . .

the productivity of our ZBS, good offensive coaching/gameplanning, and cutler's arm and marshall's talent were the only things keeping that from being closer to a .250 team than .500. . .

the coach doesn't get fired when you're a good team. . . and any time you bring in a whole new coaching staff and turn over a significant portion of the roster, there's quite clearly some rebuilding going on, regardless of whether the organization and its representatives choose to use that word or not. . .

some franchises are smart and lucky enough to get it turned around quickly, while many struggle for years and have to do it three or four times or more. . . that self-perpetuating cycle of rebuilding is what i dread, and that's why i'm willing to have some patience about this (it's far from endless, but i'm really going to try, because i truly believe it's the correct approach). . .
The ability to gameplan and game day coach is why Shanny will have the Redskins in contention this year. After a few years they will start to suffer if he has anything to say about the personnel decisions.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 05:49 PM

The problem for me is we sold youth and probowlers who have yet to hit the prime of their career and did not adequately evaluate their replacements.

Before you label me a Cutler/Marshall lover know that I am not. I have no problem with those moves. In fact, I turned on Cutler long before most had.

Also, if you are truly rebuilding than I would think draft picks would have a premium attached to them instead of being given out like candy at a fourth of july parade.

Finally, the rebuilding story is hard for me to buy when our D was an issue LONG before McDaniels got here and he has had such a dis-proportionate ratio of D picks vs O. Not to mention 9 of 11 starters on this D are well over 30 years of age.

spikerman
09-14-2010, 05:49 PM
The ability to gameplan and game day coach is why Shanny will have the Redskins in contention this year. After a few years they will start to suffer if he has anything to say about the personnel decisions.

I guess he could always call the Broncos' current braintrust for personnel advice.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Fans of other teams.

arapaho2
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Anytime you bring in ALL new staff and FO and turnover half the roster, it is rebuilding. McDaniels and Bowlen just don't want fans to consider it a rebuilding phase because they still want the fans to think we can win....sells tickets and merchandise.
I think we have about 5starters on offense and 2on defense from the 08 team.....I'd say the team is rebuilt.....this team is totaly on mcd now

horsepig
09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
This team is in flux. Will we ever find some of thar old magic from the Orange Crush days with beastly linebackers?

We still cannot "set the edge" on defense. We still cannot find that "loose" receiver on 3'rd and medium.

TXBRONC
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Could be worse.

True things could be worse.

The thing gets irritating is that the Chargers for the last few years have looked like crap the first half of the season and then turn it around in the second half.

LRtagger
09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Fans of other teams.

Try telling them that.

Gimpygod
09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I think we have about 5starters on offense and 2on defense from the 08 team.....I'd say the team is rebuilt.....this team is totaly on mcd now

I cant think of 5 '08 starters on offense

topscribe
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I cant think of 5 '08 starters on offense

Where? I can think of three: Clady, Harris, and Kuper. Where are the others?
(Royal is in the slot, which is not considered a starter, IIRC.)

-----

dogfish
09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Where? I can think of three: Clady, Harris, and Kuper. Where are the others?
(Royal is in the slot, which is not considered a starter, IIRC.)

-----

royal is considered a starter, as three wides is our base formation. . .

also, dan graham. . .

topscribe
09-15-2010, 03:02 PM

also, dan graham. . .

Yup, forgot about ol' Daniel. So there are five . . .

-----

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Try telling them that.

I'm kind of confused. :confused:

Why would a Broncos fan jump ship when we're winning, and then gloat when we're losing? Are they like masochist fair-weather fans or something?

LRtagger
09-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm kind of confused. :confused:

Why would a Broncos fan jump ship when we're winning, and then gloat when we're losing? Are they like masochist fair-weather fans or something?

Good question..but it happens on every Bronco board I read.

Last year there were several posters that did not have a single post while we were going 6-0, but came back to gloat when we started losing.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Good question..but it happens on every Bronco board I read.

Last year there were several posters that did not have a single post while we were going 6-0, but came back to gloat when we started losing.

I guess they were just pure McD haters then, and not true fans.

I'll always be a fan no matter how much I hate the coach, and I doubt there will be any coach I hate more than this one lol.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM

also, dan graham. . .

Kinda sorta. Royal is actually the #2 receiver, but he does get moved down into the slot whenever we go 3 or 4 wide, just like the Pats do with Wes Welker.

Of course, it's getting more and more complicated to distinguish between starters these days, since the "official" list of starters simply goes by who is on the field for the very first play.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Kinda sorta. Royal is actually the #2 receiver, but he does get moved down into the slot whenever we go 3 or 4 wide, just like the Pats do with Wes Welker.

Of course, it's getting more and more complicated to distinguish between starters these days, since the "official" list of starters simply goes by who is on the field for the very first play.

Our base formation includes 3 WRs with Royal in the slot, I believe. Not positive.

But yeah, the official list of starters goes by the formation used on the first play. So technically, we could have 2 or 3 TEs starting. And Spencer Larsen, as an example, is highest on the depth chart at his position but our base formation doesn't include a FB. So he's technically only a starter if we open the game in a formation using a FB.

ETA: Highest? He's the only one but my example sounds better like that lol.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Our base formation includes 3 WRs with Royal in the slot, I believe. Not positive.

See that's the thing, it's kinda hard to pin down what our "base" formation really is with McD here. He runs out of so many different formations that you can't really point to one and say "that's the base offense".

The two best picks though, would probably be the single back, two tight end set (most running downs) and 3 wide, 1 TE, 1RB out of the shotgun.

spikerman
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
See that's the thing, it's kinda hard to pin down what our "base" formation really is with McD here. He runs out of so many different formations that you can't really point to one and say "that's the base offense".

The two best picks though, would probably be the single back, two tight end set (most running downs) and 3 wide, 1 TE, 1RB out of the shotgun.

Hopefully he can find one that the Broncos can run effectively and focus on that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Denver will eventually consistently be able to break that pesky 20 point barrier.

Bosco
09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Hopefully he can find one that the Broncos can run effectively and focus on that.

Highly unlikely. Constant mismatches are a big part of McDaniels offense.

I Eat Staples
09-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Highly unlikely. Constant mismatches are a big part of McDaniels offense.

As vocal as I am in expressing my displeasure with McD, I have to point out that this is one thing I like about him. I happen to like the many different formations, as it keeps the defense off balance. We just absolutely need to stretch the defense more. That is the one element that is missing in our offense, and adding a vertical passing game will do wonders. I'm certain it will improve our running game.

I also like McD's tendency to run out of passing formations, much like what you see in NE. But again, we need to stretch the defense more to make this truly effective. I like McD's offense in general, but I feel the play calling at times can be considered questionable at very best...but then again, play calling is very subjective and anyone can criticize or praise a play call after they see the result.

I've said this before, but I feel McD is a good offensive coordinator, bad head coach. I question his play calling a lot, but I can deal with it. It's his personnel management and talent scouting that I feel is downright terrible.

jhildebrand
09-15-2010, 10:05 PM
As vocal as I am in expressing my displeasure with McD, I have to point out that this is one thing I like about him. I happen to like the many different formations, as it keeps the defense off balance. We just absolutely need to stretch the defense more. That is the one element that is missing in our offense, and adding a vertical passing game will do wonders. I'm certain it will improve our running game.

I also like McD's tendency to run out of passing formations, much like what you see in NE. But again, we need to stretch the defense more to make this truly effective. I like McD's offense in general, but I feel the play calling at times can be considered questionable at very best...but then again, play calling is very subjective and anyone can criticize or praise a play call after they see the result.

I've said this before, but I feel McD is a good offensive coordinator, bad head coach. I question his play calling a lot, but I can deal with it. It's his personnel management and talent scouting that I feel is downright terrible.

I agree with you on this except the coach part. I like McD the coach a lot. I just don't think he is a good talent evaluator/GM. He has far too many responsibilities/power here.