PDA

View Full Version : Orton looking sharp

Dean
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Orton held the ball too long on the second sack and had one pass slip out of his hand. Other than that he has been golden.

He has been sharp on short and intermediate passes and got a 40 yarder (in the air) to his credit. Had the reciever not done an Ashley Lelie imitation he could have cut inside for an even longer gain.

The run game is struggling but over all the offense is moving the ball.

broncophan
09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Orton held the ball too long on the second sack and had one pass slip out of his hand. Other than that he has been golden.

He has been sharp on short and intermediate passes and got a 40 yarder (in the air) to his credit. Had the reciever not done an Ashley Lelie imitation he could have cut inside for an even longer gain.

The run game is struggling but over all the offense is moving the ball.

I thought you meant he trimmed his beard.....

shank
09-12-2010, 01:34 PM
like a ceramic knife

Northman
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Or cheese

His stats are nice and im glad Royal is getting back in the thick of it. Lloyd is still showing up as well which is great.

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice int by Orton to end the game. Prime example on how Orton can't win a game on his own.

Northman
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice int by Orton to end the game. Prime example on how Orton can't win a game on his own.

On the flipside, Jay lead his team to a game winning TD in their matchup with the Lions.

LawDog
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
On the flipside, Jay lead his team to a game winning TD in their matchup with the Lions.

very similar stats for Orton and Cutler - except for that whole W - L thing...

broncogirl7
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Orton had some good numbers, just not good enough.

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Sad but I'm already ready to see Tebow. I'm not a Tebow fan but way more upside than Orton. Let's face it, we're not winning the super bowl this year. It's time to get Tebow the reps and get ready for 2011

LawDog
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Sad but I'm already ready to see Tebow. I'm not a Tebow fan but way more upside than Orton. Let's face it, we're not winning the super bowl this year. It's time to get Tebow the reps and get ready for 2011

Should we start a pool on when Tebow takes over? Could be like Plummer/Cutler which was what, game 10 or 11? Ooooh the drama!

broncophan
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM

lol.............it's only week 1...lol......and you are looking for 2011......lol

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM

I didnt get to see the game but from the gamecast and stats overall Orton didnt look that bad. But, its easy to see that so far the Broncos still look to have the same issues they had with the old regime and there really hasnt been any improvement or enough to really be excited about. Sure, we got some new faces and some possible exciting young talent but all the issues we have had in the past are still visibly there. :tsk:

Medford Bronco
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
very similar stats for Orton and Cutler - except for that whole W - L thing...

The Refs IMHO blew the end of the Lions game with the finishing of a catch crap. That was a TD.

It was in years past.

btw did not see to much of us.
I did not expect a win today. Tough place to play over the years for us.
I wanted a win with my heart, but my head said no. (ready for :flame: )

I remember a tough loss when Q Qriffin fumbled in FG position one year.

and we are good in FLA all time.

I just want better next week.

horsepig
09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
The Refs IMHO blew the end of the Lions game with the finishing of a catch crap. That was a TD.

It was in years past.

i agree but, we better get our OL issues straightened out first.

Not to mention outside containment on defense.

Krugan
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I really hope if we are 7-4 with 5 games left, Josh doesnt decide to start Tebow over Orton.

2006 was a season to forget. Coming off a afccg and 3 games above .500 and replacing your QB that was 40-18 as a starter for a rookie was just a amazing blunder.

DenBronx
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
someone once said, "quarterbacks are judged on wins vs losses."

since personal stats and probowls don't matter it is better to trade them.

weazel
09-12-2010, 04:44 PM

just making it clear

weazel
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM

It was in years past.

Cutler didnt win shit... the refs won that game for the Bears. That was emberrassing

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM
just making it clear

Yea, because the Jags are world beaters. :lol:

topscribe
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Cutler didnt win shit... the refs won that game for the Bears. That was emberrassing

Four times, the Bears got the ball in Detroit territory and came away with nary a point . . .

-----

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Four times, the Bears got the ball in Detroit territory and came away with nary a point . . .

-----

Did they win the game?

weazel
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Yea, because the Jags are world beaters. :lol:

just saying that it was the lions, lets not start sucking Jays privates just yet. The refs won the game for the Bears, it was blatant

Also, when have the Broncos ever played the Jags well. I wont make excuses, but Orton wasn't what lost this game

Northman
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
just saying that it was the lions, lets not start sucking Jays privates just yet. The refs won the game for the Bears, it was blatant

Also, when have the Broncos ever played the Jags well. I wont make excuses, but Orton wasn't what lost this game

Dude, your a cool cat but you are making excuses. As Vin said in the Fast and the Furious "winning is winning". Had the Bears not had miscues and taken advantage of the turnovers they forced they would of blown out the Lions. But they still got it together enough to win the game and all that matters is the W.

weazel
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Dude, your a cool cat but you are making excuses. As Vin said in the Fast and the Furious "winning is winning". Had the Bears not had miscues and taken advantage of the turnovers they forced they would of blown out the Lions. But they still got it together enough to win the game and all that matters is the W.

thats what Pitt said after the refs gave them the superbowl win against Seattle too! lol

hey man, I predicted the Broncos win amybe 5 or 6 games before the season started... nothing I seen today makes me think they will do better than that.

I had plans to go to Denver for a game this season but we nixed that knowing that we would probably sit there watching our team get blown out.

but Orton is the least of this teams problems...

topscribe
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Did they win the game?

This.

-----

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
This.

-----

So in other words the Bears who played like ass can beat a bad team but Denver cant. Gotcha.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
So in other words the Bears who played like ass can beat a bad team but Denver cant. Gotcha.

Keep trying. Someday you'll learn the difference between a regular season game and a preseason one . . .

-----

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Keep trying. Someday you'll learn the difference between a regular season game and a preseason one . . .

-----

Em, ok.

Both teams played regular season today so you whiffed like Phonzie.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Em, ok.

Both teams played regular season today so you whiffed like Phonzie.

Yup. That's the point you wanted to make.

Once again, it was about me . . . :coffee:

-----

Northman
09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Yup. That's the point you wanted to make.

Once again, it was about me . . . :coffee:

-----

You mean like you challenging me on the difference between preseason and regular season when you didnt even understand the comparison to begin with? :lol:

Moving on.

frauschieze
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
:focus:

TIA

:hi:

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
lol.............it's only week 1...lol......and you are looking for 2011......lol

No, just realistic in what we have in Orton. Granted he had a decent game today but when the game is on the line, Orton won't win it for you. Orton won't make dumb costly mistakes until the outcome merits some risks. We know Tebow is the future of the franchise. He needs reps to be the QB Denver wants/needs him to be. Denver won't win the Super Bowl in 2010 so why not get him the reps in now? Our offense is improved but we need a QB who can make a play when the protection breaks down and with the rookies/injuries it's going to happen a lot this year. Tebow can make plays when a play breaks down, Orton can't. With that being said, I'd love for Orton to be the back up QB for Denver for a while. Orton would be a great back up for Tebow. He showed a lot of class in how he responded to the competiton and is def playing better than he did last year.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
No, just realistic in what we have in Orton. Granted he had a decent game today but when the game is on the line, Orton won't win it for you. Orton won't make dumb costly mistakes until the outcome merits some risks. We know Tebow is the future of the franchise. He needs reps to be the QB Denver wants/needs him to be. Denver won't win the Super Bowl in 2010 so why not get him the reps in now? Our offense is improved but we need a QB who can make a play when the protection breaks down and with the rookies/injuries it's going to happen a lot this year. Tebow can make plays when a play breaks down, Orton can't. With that being said, I'd love for Orton to be the back up QB for Denver for a while. Orton would be a great back up for Tebow. He showed a lot of class in how he responded to the competiton and is def playing better than he did last year.

Wow, off one game, you are coming out of the woodwork and repeating your
posts that "Orton won't win for you." I take it then, you missed last year's
games against NE, Dallas, and the first game against SD?

Why don't we see what happens in a few more games? One game isn't a very
good sample for this year . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
It's not just one game Top, Orton isn't the guy we want behind center whe the game is on the line.

Let me ask you this question: Is Tebow the future of our franchise?

I also want to state again, I have NEVER been a huge Tebow fan so this this isn't a blind love statement on my part. I just feel that we might as well give the kid his reps now and accelerate his devlopment. Denver doesnt have a Super Bowl team, not yet. If I thought we could contend for a championship I'd be for leaving Orton in there.

Medford Bronco
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
just making it clear

and the refs blew the call IMO. I say det scored a td

Northman
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
and the refs blew the call IMO. I say det scored a td

No they didnt, not going by the rules of the NFL regarding catches.

Medford Bronco
09-12-2010, 06:55 PM
No they didnt, not going by the rules of the NFL regarding catches.

dumb rule like the tuck rule.

does not make sense.

Just a chooches take:D

Northman
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
dumb rule like the tuck rule.

does not make sense.

Just a chooches take:D

Well, you can certainly argue that and wouldnt get much arguement from me. But, it is what it is. :D

topscribe
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
It's not just one game Top, Orton isn't the guy we want behind center whe the game is on the line.

Let me ask you this question: Is Tebow the future of our franchise?

I also want to state again, I have NEVER been a huge Tebow fan so this this isn't a blind love statement on my part. I just feel that we might as well give the kid his reps now and accelerate his devlopment. Denver doesnt have a Super Bowl team, not yet. If I thought we could contend for a championship I'd be for leaving Orton in there.

How do I know if Tebow is the future of the Broncos franchise? Can you predict
that? Based on what? What he did against college boys or in preseason against
3rd and 4th stringers? Tebow is going to have to learn how to be a good pocket
passer because he is not going to make it in this league as a running QB. Those
defenders are too big, too fast, too smart, and they all want to kill you.

And yes, Orton is whom I want behind center when the game is on the line. I
have seen two full years of him with the game on the line, and he has a great
W-L record. And he absolutely did his part in pulling out the wins, many times.

I certainly do not want to see either of the other QBs in there with the game
on the line at this point . . .

-----

Medford Bronco
09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, you can certainly argue that and wouldnt get much arguement from me. But, it is what it is. :D

last year that was a td I think :confused::lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I did like seeing Orton scramble for yardage today. Especially when he went head first for the first down. I stood up and yelled "Look out for that Blazing Speed!" and the Jags fans laughed at my sarcasm.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I did like seeing Orton scramble for yardage today. Especially when he went head first for the first down. I stood up and yelled "Look out for that Blazing Speed!" and the Jags fans laughed at my sarcasm.

I liked what Orton said in his presser a couple days ago about getting cramps:
"I can't run fast enough to get cramps." :laugh:

-----

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
How do I know if Tebow is the future of the Broncos franchise? Can you predict
that? Based on what? What he did against college boys or in preseason against
3rd and 4th stringers? Tebow is going to have to learn how to be a good pocket
passer because he is not going to make it in this league as a running QB. Those
defenders are too big, too fast, too smart, and they all want to kill you.

And yes, Orton is whom I want behind center when the game is on the line. I
have seen two full years of him with the game on the line, and he has a great
W-L record. And he absolutely did his part in pulling out the wins, many times.

I certainly do not want to see either of the other QBs in there with the game
on the line at this point . . .

-----

Tebow was drafted to be the future QB of this franchise, whether he is going to be the guy Denver wants him to be remains to be seen. Fact is, he'll need game reps to ge the player we need him to be. I'm not hating on Orton nor giving Tebow blind love. Just stating that Denver might as well start the future now as this team isn't a super bowl caliber team yet. I wish we were but we're not.

Northman
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
last year that was a td I think :confused::lol:

Nah, i think its been about 5-6 years since that rules was changed. But i do find it a bit puzzling especially in circumstances such as that. Even though the rule states that you have to have continued control of the catch it was pretty obvious Johnson had it and allowed the ground to knock it out without realizing the technicality of the play.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Tebow was drafted to be the future QB of this franchise, whether he is going to be the guy Denver wants him to be remains to be seen. Fact is, he'll need game reps to ge the player we need him to be. I'm not hating on Orton nor giving Tebow blind love. Just stating that Denver might as well start the future now as this team isn't a super bowl caliber team yet. I wish we were but we're not.

I understand, my friend, but you don't really know that, either. It's just a bit too
early for me to throw in the towel. I'm just for putting the best 11 players on
the field, and Tebow is not one of them at this point. So we'll have to agree to
disagree, and that's all right, too . . . :)

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I didnt get to see the game but from the gamecast and stats overall Orton didnt look that bad. But, its easy to see that so far the Broncos still look to have the same issues they had with the old regime and there really hasnt been any improvement or enough to really be excited about. Sure, we got some new faces and some possible exciting young talent but all the issues we have had in the past are still visibly there. :tsk:

Orton is fine. Noone is scared of our WRs so people play up. Once the rooks get healthy and start to get acclimated, DBs will have to respect the deeper routes much more than they do now.

topscribe
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Orton is fine. Noone is scared of our WRs so people play up. Once the rooks get healthy and start to get acclimated, DBs will have to respect the deeper routes much more than they do now.

The Jags said they played one-on-one most of the game.

That's not very encouraging, except for the Orton/Lloyd connection . . .

-----

Dzone
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Tebow would have gotten that first down. Orton slid when he could have moved the chains with a little aggressiveness. I'm not knocking orton, he played ok, but he will never be the athlete tebow is
And that calvin johnson catch in chicago. Well, evidently there must be a new rule that says you have to have 3 feet down for it to be a touchdown. Detroit got robbed. If that is a new rule, it is a stupid rule

SmilinAssasSin27
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
There is a guy at work who isn't huge on Denver and that is exactly why. Says nothing there scares him now that BM is gone. While I like the systematic approach where 1 player isn't bigger than the team, he does have a point. We're gonna be kept inside of a box by the opposition until we get a playmaker at WR on the field. Love who we have, but it does limit us.

broncofaninfla
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I understand, my friend, but you don't really know that, either. It's just a bit too
early for me to throw in the towel. I'm just for putting the best 11 players on
the field, and Tebow is not one of them at this point. So we'll have to agree to
disagree, and that's all right, too . . . :)

-----

I'm not throwing in the towel, just feel the future is now. Despite the loss I saw a lot to be postive about.

JaxBroncoGirl
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM

I understand how you feel, I watched the game and was impressed yes he needs to improve, but I am very proud. The Jaguars also impressed me to a degree, if Orton does not stand up now, he is a goner, I hope not he looked poised, it was the playbook that did us in.......................

topscribe
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
You mean like you challenging me on the difference between preseason and regular season when you didnt even understand the comparison to begin with? :lol:

Moving on.

You're right. I got personal first. Sorry on my account . . .

-----

SM19
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm really pretty happy with the way Orton played today. I was much less happy with that useless wildcat package, and I was relieved they ditched it early.

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm really pretty happy with the way Orton played today. I was much less happy with that useless wildcat package, and I was relieved they ditched it early.

Thank Scott someone else was less than thrilled. I called it disruptive and pointless and was met with opposition :lol:

Im not alone! :lol:

Overtime
09-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Orton looked like a retarded Trent Dilfer out there.

jhildebrand
09-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Well in that case, Cutler doesn't play the Lions well either. Just check the last time they played prior to today :eek:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2010, 07:55 AM
The Jags said they played one-on-one most of the game.

That's not very encouraging, except for the Orton/Lloyd connection . . .

-----

We absolutely have to get the rookies involved in the offense sooner rather than later. If you notice, all 3 of the Jag's TDs and most of their passing yardage went to bigger WRs (6'3" or above) - 2 to Lewis (TE) and one to Kassim Osgood.

Our top 4 WRs (from this game - Lloyd, Royal, Gaff, Willis) just aren't big enough to "dominate in the paint" so to speak. I really hope Thomas and Decker can get involved in the offense this week. We really need their size in the redzone.

Jagsbch
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
You guys need to get the nearly 300 yards out of your minds that is a bunk stat built on one of the worst passing defenses in the league, add to that Orton managed to get his only passing TD of the game and nearly 100 of those yards came against the prevent defense at the end of the second half.

100 yards and an INT and 1.5 first down per drive average in the second half, sucks.

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I thought Orton looked pretty good for Orton.
He runs the offense well, and he can make the short/intermediate throws.
That is what Orton can do. And he does it well.
As for throwing downfield past 20 yards accurately, NO WAY.
Orton cannot throw accurate after 20-25 yards. Just cant do it.
Couldnt do it last year, and he cant do it now.
He never has and he never will.
We all watched Marshall make circus catch after circus catch last year, and Orton had tunnel vision for his only recieving threat, cause he knew then, that he didnt have to be accurate with Marshall. Now Ortons spreads it out a bit more, but now Lloyd is the one making the circus catches. A winning team cant rely on this as a legit game plan, week in/week out.
Teams know this so they play man-to-man all game and stack the box with the SS to stop the run.
Orton had developed into exactly what he is, a career back-up QB.
He will have a long career in the NFL as a back-up and thats good for him.

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
We all watched Marshall make circus catch after circus catch last year, and Orton had tunnel vision for his only recieving threat, cause he knew then, that he didnt have to be accurate with Marshall. Now Ortons spreads it out a bit more, but now Lloyd is the one making the circus catches. A winning team cant rely on this as a legit game plan, week in/week out.
Teams know this so they play man-to-man all game and stack the box with the SS to stop the run.
Great Post.

Orton is as good as the team is. He will never win, or lose the game single handedly.

topscribe
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm going to tell it as I see it:

I was upset when they drafted Tebow. He was a truly great college QB. I was
not sure he had the skills that fit as an NFL QB. Now that he has been drafted,
and we have had a chance to see some of him, I am even more regretful that
the Broncos drafted him.

Think of the difference a really good ILB would have been beside D.J. yesterday.
Or a really good DE to complement Williams, Fields, and Bannan up front.

All this to-do over a QB who ran over people in college and found out he can't
do that in the NFL, who has yet to show he can pass out of the pocket, or
ever will, of whom the coaches aren't sure whether he should be second- or
third-string.

As McDaniels said in his presser, "We have a good quarterback [Orton]." Then,
why did the Broncos squander a first-round selection on a second- or third-
string QB rather than a good defensive starter?

As Kiszla wrote today in the DP, Tebow has made more of an impact on
Facebook than he has on this team. McDaniels' attempts to insert him in the
game only served as a disrupter of the momentum and rhythm the offense
was in the process of establishing. A 28-yard pass to Graham, a 10-yard run
by Moreno, then a one-yard stuff by Tebow.

I'm not saying that necessarily had a direct effect on the outcome of the
game. But this is supposed to be about the Broncos, about winning games and
making it to the postseason, not about the Tebow side show.

Tebow obviously is a fine young man in his own right. A good QB? That has
yet to be determined. But I just don't like what effect it has had on the team
and the season so far. Truly, I'm tempted to feel sorry Jacksonville did pass
on drafting Tebow, as had been discussed.

-----

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Tebow was drafted to give Broncos fans hope.

Mike
09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
One LB wasn't going to turn this team into a SB this year. Drafting Tebow didn't set this team back any. And it will likely help us reach the next level when he takes the starting QB job.

Northman
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm going to tell it as I see it:

I was upset when they drafted Tebow. He was a truly great college QB. I was
not sure he had the skills that fit as an NFL QB. Now that he has been drafted,
and we have had a chance to see some of him, I am even more regretful that
the Broncos drafted him.

Think of the difference a really good ILB would have been beside D.J. yesterday.
Or a really good DE to complement Williams, Fields, and Bannan up front.

All this to-do over a QB over a QB who ran over people in college and found out
he can't do that in the NFL, who has yet to show he can pass out of the pocket,
or ever will, of whom the coaches aren't sure whether he should be second- or
third-string.

As McDaniels said in his presser, "We have a good quarterback [Orton]." Then,
why did the Broncos squander a first-round selection on a second- or third-
string QB rather than a good defensive starter?

As Kiszla wrote today in the DP, Tebow has made more of an impact on
Facebook than he has on this team. McDaniels' attempts to insert him in the

game. But this is supposed to be about the Broncos, about winning games and
making it to the postseason, not about the Tebow side show.

Tebow obviously is a fine young man in his own right. A good QB? That has
yet to be determined. But I just don't like what effect it has had on the team
and the season so far. Truly, I'm tempted to feel sorry Jacksonville did pass
on drafting Tebow, as had been discussed.

-----

Nice take.

The pick definitely had me scratching my head considering the uproar that came up when we took Jay after the 05' season. But, in some ways i have to back up McD just like i did when Shanahan did it. I think the problem is that neither Shanny nor McD believe that their Qb's at the time were the answer at those positions. Im guessing neither guy wants or believes they can win it all with those guys at the helms. Even though we have seen guys like Dilfer and Johnson do it with exceptional defenses it doesnt look like McD is willing to build that kind of team and would much rather have more offense than defense. As it would seem having a QB with better accuracy seems to be what some coaches are looking for and to some degree Tebow has shown to have that ability. Doesnt mean he will succeed at the NFL level but having watched a little of him in the preseason i can see the potential there and maybe thats what sold himself to McD to draft him. Its kind of a raw deal to Orton as he hasnt really been as destructive as Jake was when he was leading the team but if McD isnt willing to build around him more than what are we left with?

topscribe
09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

This one was past 20 yards:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091204/2010/REG1/broncos@jaguars#tab:watch

On . . . the . . . money. So were several other downfield throws, of which I
can't find the highlights at the moment. Orton showed pin-point accuracy,
short and long. But I saw the game. Too bad you didn't . . . at least, from
your post, I hope you didn't.

I hope the defenses continue man-to-man. All Orton did was to respond with
295 yards and a 14 yards per catch average. Orton just shredded the defense,
and that was with all the pressure he endured in the game. There were plenty
of reasons the Broncos lost that game, but he was not one of them.

Clay thought your post was great. That's where we differ. I thought it stunk.
Please don't take that as a personal attack - I didn't mean it that way. I have
liked a lot of your posts. This is just not one of them . .

-----

Jagsbch
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
You guys need to get the nearly 300 yards out of your minds that is a bunk stat built on one of the worst passing defenses in the league, add to that Orton managed to get his only passing TD of the game and nearly 100 of those yards came against the prevent defense at the end of the second half.

100 yards and an INT and 1.5 first down per drive average in the second half, sucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-broncosqbs091210

Orton is limited. Extremely limited. Sadly, he is limited in ways that aren’t obvious. His stats are OK. In fact, they were borderline good in this game as he completed 21 of 33 passes for 295 yards and one touchdown. He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes (his one interception came during a two-minute drill at the end of the game, when Jacksonville was in a pass coverage defense).

However, in those critical moments when a quarterback can make the difference between winning and losing, Orton came up consistently short...

“There’s a difference between taking a chance and taking what they give you,” said Aaron Kampman, who also played most of his career with Brett Favre(notes), one of the greatest risk-takers in NFL history.

blamkin86
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
McDaniels' attempts to insert him in the

game. But this is supposed to be about the Broncos, about winning games and making it to the postseason, not about the Tebow side show.

I'm ***SO*** glad someone else felt the same way about the timing of Tebow's first play. I felt like the entire team just started playing flat after those plays - like they know something we as fans don't.

I'm not really a Tebow hater or lover - honestly I want the broncos to ramp it up to playoffs level and if Tebow can do that, fantastic.

But yesterday, really it looked like Tebow is McD's pet project and damn the consequences to morale.

topscribe
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice take.

The pick definitely had me scratching my head considering the uproar that came up when we took Jay after the 05' season. But, in some ways i have to back up McD just like i did when Shanahan did it. I think the problem is that neither Shanny nor McD believe that their Qb's at the time were the answer at those positions. Im guessing neither guy wants or believes they can win it all with those guys at the helms. Even though we have seen guys like Dilfer and Johnson do it with exceptional defenses it doesnt look like McD is willing to build that kind of team and would much rather have more offense than defense. As it would seem having a QB with better accuracy seems to be what some coaches are looking for and to some degree Tebow has shown to have that ability. Doesnt mean he will succeed at the NFL level but having watched a little of him in the preseason i can see the potential there and maybe thats what sold himself to McD to draft him. Its kind of a raw deal to Orton as he hasnt really been as destructive as Jake was when he was leading the team but if McD isnt willing to build around him more than what are we left with?

I believe McDaniels and Xanders drafted Tebow because they did not see
building the team around Orton at the time. But when Orton came out and
started producing as he did, they awarded him with another year - a $9 million
year. That seemed to say, "Hmmm . . . I didn't know he had that in him. Let's
see which one of these guys is actually better." After all, McD believes deeply
in competition at each position.

Now, I know I made this scenario up. But it is just as good a guess as anything
else, IMO . . .

-----

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm ***SO*** glad someone else felt the same way about the timing of Tebow's first play. I felt like the entire team just started playing flat after those plays - like they know something we as fans don't.

I'm not really a Tebow hater or lover - honestly I want the broncos to ramp it up to playoffs level and if Tebow can do that, fantastic.

But yesterday, really it looked like Tebow is McD's pet project and damn the consequences to morale.

The Tebow thing was retarded.

Northman
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

else, IMO . . .

-----

Well, im not sure i totally buy into that as i believe it had more to do with Quinn not looking that great and there being no better options in the open market. Now, if Orton continues to play well by season's end and they extend him further it might change my stance on that. But i dont believe he was given an extention because they think he is the guy.

claymore
09-13-2010, 10:33 AM

else, IMO . . .

-----

They signed Orton so that they had options next year. As it was, he walked scott free, with zero compensation.

If they suddenly realized what they had in Orton durring the pre-season... after drafting a QB in the first round, then they need to be fired.

Best case scenario is if we can keep Orton on as a backup.

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
This one was past 20 yards:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091204/2010/REG1/broncos@jaguars#tab:watch

On . . . the . . . money. So were several other downfield throws, of which I
can't find the highlights at the moment. Orton showed pin-point accuracy,
short and long. But I saw the game. Too bad you didn't . . . at least, from
your post, I hope you didn't.

I hope the defenses continue man-to-man. All Orton did was to respond with
295 yards and a 14 yards per catch average. Orton just shredded the defense,
and that was with all the pressure he endured in the game. There were plenty
of reasons the Broncos lost that game, but he was not one of them.

Clay thought your post was great. That's where we differ. I thought it stunk.
Please don't take that as a personal attack - I didn't mean it that way. I have
liked a lot of your posts. This is just not one of them . .

-----

Dude, i dont take anything here personally.
You dislike Tebow and you really like Orton.
We all know.
Doesnt change the simple fact that Orton cannot throw downfield accurately. I know your mad and you will go out and find one highlight of him throwing a 17 yard TD to Gaffney (which was a great pass! Whoopie!). BTW, while JAX was in prevent on that drive Orton threw a # of longer passes to get them downfield. Yeah! No joke! Thats whats so nice when a team is in prevent, and theres little time on the clock! I am glad he can occasionally make a play downfield with his arm, but as for accurate, no way.
Also, i loved re-watching the absolute garbage ball thrown to Lloyd, and Brandon making an incredible grab to even give himself a chance of making a play!

Hey i like orton for what he is so far. A back up who is starting. Good for him!
I think hes come a long way in how he operates the offense and makes plays. Really, hes proven to be a solid 8-8, back-up QB, who is currently starting for DEN. Good for him.

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, im not sure i totally buy into that as i believe it had more to do with Quinn not looking that great and there being no better options in the open market. Now, if Orton continues to play well by season's end and they extend him further it might change my stance on that. But i dont believe he was given an extension because they think he is the guy.

If they believed Orton is the guy they would have given him more than just a one year extension.

topscribe
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Dude, i dont take anything here personally.
You dislike Tebow and you really like Orton.
We all know.
Doesnt change the simple fact that Orton cannot throw downfield accurately. I know your mad and you will go out and find one highlight of him throwing a 17 yard TD to Gaffney (which was a great pass! Whoopie!). BTW, while JAX was in prevent on that drive Orton threw a # of longer passes to get them downfield. Yeah! No joke! Thats whats so nice when a team is in prevent, and theres little time on the clock!
Also, i loved re-watching the absolute garbage ball thrown to Lloyd, and Brandon making an incredible grab to even give himself a chance of making a play!

Hey i like orton for what he is so far. A back up who is starting. Good for him!
I think hes come a long way in how he operates the offense and makes plays. Really, hes proven to be a solid 8-8, back-up QB, who is currently starting for DEN. Good for him.

Really? Do I appear angry? I guess I can't help your perception.

Did I say anywhere, at any time, that I don't like Tebow? I have said I do like
him. When have I said that I don't? It is not Tebow I dislike: It is how the
Broncos have handled the whole mess, from the draft on down.

Regarding your opinion of Orton, I believe if he were inducted into the HOF (no,
that's not likely), there will be those who would still talk about what a subpar
QB he was. Nothing I (or he) can do about those people.

The fact is, Orton is doing things few thought he could ever do. And McDaniels
categorically said Orton still has plenty of upside to go. It just seems that,
whereas we all once thought that Tebow was the heir-apparent to the
position, some of us are now wondering where this all really is headed . . .

-----

topscribe
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, im not sure i totally buy into that as i believe it had more to do with Quinn not looking that great and there being no better options in the open market. Now, if Orton continues to play well by season's end and they extend him further it might change my stance on that. But i dont believe he was given an extention because they think he is the guy.

Definitely possible. One scenario seems as good as the other at this point.

We'll see . . .

-----

weazel
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks having Tebow in there would have won that game is fooling themselves. Tebow isn't ready, he never showed anything in pre-season to say that he is.

I'm not going to knock him on those "wildcat" plays though, that was just plain bad play calling that fooled noone.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks having Tebow in there would have won that game is fooling themselves. Tebow isn't ready, he never showed anything in pre-season to say that he is.

I'm not going to knock him on those "wildcat" plays though, that was just plain bad play calling that fooled noone.

Its embarrasing. I hope McD doesnt do it again.

Mike
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Its embarrasing. I hope McD stops doing it.

Or if he insists on doing it, gets a little creative with it.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Or if he insists on doing it, gets a little creative with it.

We dont have the atheletes to run it. IMO.

topscribe
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Its embarrasing. I hope McD doesnt do it again.

Agreed. *Agreed?* :shocked: I said before the game that I hoped McD wouldn't
do it. And I hope even more now, for future games. All it served to do was to
disrupt the momentum and rhythm (love typing that word, for some reason). You
just don't platoon QBs. It doesn't work. That's why you don't see it done
anywhere in the league, that I know of . . .

-----

TXBRONC
09-13-2010, 11:45 AM

I think the reason it failed is because it was ran the same way that it was ran last year with Moreno.

claymore
09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Agreed. *Agreed?* :shocked: I said before the game that I hoped McD wouldn't
do it. And I hope even more now, for future games. All it served to do was to
disrupt the momentum and rhythm (love typing that word, for some reason). You
just don't platoon QBs. It doesn't work. That's why you don't see it done
anywhere in the league, that I know of . . .

-----

Well McD promissed inovation. And if I was to see it, "things that havent been done before", thats how i expected to see it.

I said it yesterday, but as much as I dislike McD... I expected a shit ton more with the Tebow packages.

topscribe
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Well McD promissed inovation. And if I was to see it, "things that havent been done before", thats how i expected to see it.

I said it yesterday, but as much as I dislike McD... I expected a shit ton more with the Tebow packages.

I would just as soon not see "Tebow packages." It surprises no one, anyway.
When Tebow comes into the game, that is a dead giveaway to the defense as
to what's up. All it does is to disrupt the momentum and rhythm. I don't like it at
all. Not even down near the goal line, where Orton has a 95 QBR.

Just skip the side show and play football, IMO.

-----