View Full Version : Kyle Orton zeros in on comfort zone

T.K.O.
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
broncos
Kyle Orton zeros in on comfort zone
By Mike Klis
Denver Post
Posted: 09/12/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton the quarterback has nothing to hide. Fire away. He'll address any concern, speak to any issue, respectfully answer even the most absurd questions.

Kyle Orton the man after he leaves the Broncos' locker room each night?

"Come on, I don't do that stuff," he said.

Eat dinner, kiss the wife, pet the dog?

"Sure, all of the above," Orton said in his deadpan manner. "What, are you working for TMZ now?"

Mr. Excitable, Orton is not. Then again, Orton's personality may explain how he was able to shrug off the transition from his lame-duck status in April to Broncos quarterback of the future by August.

Even if the future is only through next season, his ability to turn the other cheek after he was slapped first by the addition of Brady Quinn, then Tim Tebow, speaks to Orton's remarkable calm.

Either that, or Orton quietly burns when he's ticked off.

"I've said this before: I feel like you compete for your job every single year," Orton said last week. "Whether you draft a first-rounder or not, you've still got to do a job. As long as decisions are based on what happens on the field — production and leadership, all that stuff — I'm totally fine. I'm always willing to compete."

Orton, and not Tebow, the first-round prospect who hails from Jacksonville, will be the Broncos' starting quarterback today in the 2010 season opener in Jacksonville.

Tebow's return home, not far from the University of Florida campus where he became an celebrity never before seen in college football, stirs curiosity from coast to coast. Those only concerned with the space limited to the Broncos' world know hope for victory today lies primarily with Orton.

His offensive line is a frightening mix of rookies and veterans coming off injuries. His running backs are trying to mend after falling apart on the first day of training camp. His receiver corps no longer includes Brandon Marshall.

And yet Orton just had a preseason that, if duplicated during the regular season, would put him within the top- 10 quarterback level.

One year makes a difference

Orton threw four touchdown passes in his first three preseason quarters. In six quarters overall, Orton led the first-team offense to 52 points. He was rewarded with a one year, $8.8 million extension.

"The guy will pick you apart if you let him," said Broncos defensive end Justin Bannan, who played against Orton as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. "I only had one week to look at him when I was in Baltimore last year, but just being around him as a teammate, I have full confidence in him. Not only that, he probably feels a lot more comfortable in the offense this year than he did last year."

More comfortable in the offense. People keep saying that about Orton. He played well in his first season with the Broncos last year. Not great, but better than he had in his previous two seasons as a starter for the Chicago Bears.

His impressive preseason play as he starts Year 2 with the Broncos is almost entirely attributed to Orton's full year's worth of experience in coach Josh McDaniels' sophisticated offensive system.

"I think he has more confidence," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "You can definitely see that. The key is more experience in the offense. You've got to expect him to be better."

It's an offense in which a receiver occasionally will run a route not to get open. The route is run so another receiver will be open.

"He understands it more," tight end Daniel Graham said. "It's almost like night and day when you see him on the field."

Isn't there more to it? Orton's noticeable improvement is all about a year's worth of study and comfort in application?

"I'm going to sound like a broken record," said offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, "but a lot of it has to do with being more comfortable in the system. Not only that, the more time you spend with the players you're playing with, you have a comfort level with those players."

Answers in the works

There was a telling game about Orton's play last year. It was Game 7 at Baltimore. Both the Broncos and Ravens were coming off bye weeks.

Only the Broncos came in with a 6-0 record. Only the Ravens came up with a defensive strategy that essentially placed 10 men in the box while one safety hung back to play a deep center field. And the Ravens brought the heat.

A harried Orton threw 37 passes that netted only 152 yards.

"We tweaked our game plan pretty good when we faced them," Bannan said. "It was one of those things where we both had byes, and they weren't really prepared for what we ran because we really made some changes."

Orton showed during the recently completed preseason he may well burn a similar game plan this year. The difference is in the way he is throwing down field.

This isn't about the fly patterns he completed twice with Marshall in the nation's capital last year. This is about the 18-yard to 30-yard patterns through the middle of the field. The routes that keep the safeties back and linebackers in a backpedaling state of confusion.

"I think we've got a few more answers to different defenses this year," Orton said. "We're all about taking what the defense gives us. Certainly we like to complete a high percentage of balls, get the ball to our playmakers' hands and let them do what they do. But, yeah, I think we have more answers to some different things than we did last year."

That's about all anybody really needs to know about Orton.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Read more: Kyle Orton zeros in on comfort zone - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16053930#ixzz0zJsjzkRq

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
3 hours to kickoff... I hope Kyle has a career day today (in a good way) and leads us to victory in a hostile environment.

T.K.O.
09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
i also hope tebow gets a TD or 2 in his home town:salute:

rcsodak
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Tt just announced as #2 qb amd told to expect to play.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Back to Orton :focus:, I'm glad to see Orton play.

-----

Nomad
09-12-2010, 10:11 AM
3 hours to kickoff... I hope Kyle has a career day today (in a good way) and leads us to victory in a hostile environment.

Ditto! I hope Orton does the same!

I was reading at BM and the drinking game is everytime he completes a pass take a shot. With this optimism, they're going to be alot of drunk people at BM!:lol:

rcsodak
09-12-2010, 10:12 AM
What else would he be doing, Top? :wink:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

underrated29
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I just want a win and both teams to be healthy after its over.

BORDERLINE
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Orton should do well today...i believe it will be a close game , but I have see some of you expect him to light it up...god , i hope your right nothing like a opening day blowout....Go Broncos