PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Spotlight: Broncos' Orton will rack up points this season

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16051031?source=rss

Denver Post fantasy football expert Cecil Lammey is a senior writer for Footballguys.com and an "NFL Insider" for Denver sports radio station The Ticket, 87.7-FM.

E-mail your questions to lammey@footballguys.com. Please mention your question is for "Denver Post Fantasy Football."

I hope you can answer my question as I'm a regular listener to your weekend shows in Denver on FM 87.7, "The Ticket."

I am in an 11-team league and spent my auction money on RB and WR, ignoring the QB position until later. I've had a Bernard Berrian-for-Mark Sanchez trade accepted, but got counter-offered Jonathan Stewart and Kyle Orton for Bernard Berrian and Ryan Grant. Stewart was the 12th running back in our league compared to Grant, who was ninth. Sanchez and my other QB Matt Hasselbeck had far less points than Kyle Orton last year and I see Orton's yardage and TDs increasing in 2010. Thoughts and thanks!
-- Andy

Lammey: I would do the deal to add Kyle Orton to your lineup. I agree with you that Orton's numbers should go up this year. He could be a 4,000-yard, 25-TD guy if he can stay healthy in his second year running Josh McDaniels' system. The Broncos haven't been opening up holes for the ground game and may rely on Orton and his receivers more than people think.

I have a quick question about the Broncos' Knowshon Moreno. Do you think he will be on a play count? My other options would be Denver's Correll Buckhalter vs. Jacksonville, Baltimore's Derrick Mason vs. New York Jets. or Louis Murphy vs Tennessee?
-- Greg

Lammey: I am not only concerned about Knowshon Moreno's health, but also the Broncos' ability to open up holes for him. However, in your situation he looks like the best starting option.

Washington's Donovan McNabb vs. Dallas or Eli Manning vs. Carolina? Houston running back Arian Foster vs Indianapolis or Cedric Benson vs New England?
-- Allan

Lammey: Eli Manning vs Panthers is the way to go as he has better weapons in the WR corps. Then go Cedric Benson vs the Pats. Houston-Indianapolis could turn into a shootout and that means fewer carries for Foster as they would have to turn to the passing game to keep up with the Colts.

Hey buddy, I need some advice. Start Jahvid Best vs. Chicago or Ahmad Bradshaw vs. Carolina at running back? Start San Diego's Malcom Floyd vs. Kansas City or Terrell Owens vs. New England at WR?
-- Donavan

Lammey: Jahvid Best vs. Chicago is a sweet matchup, and there could be a lot of points scored on both sides. I love having a guy (Floyd) on Monday night and this decision is VERY close, but I would lean towards T.O.

The Bengals have clearly made a statement in the preseason that he's going to be heavily involved in the passing game. The Patriots are starting two young (one rookie, one second-year) cornerbacks against the savvy veteran duo of Owens and Chad Ochocinco. I wouldn't be surprised to see T.O. have a monster game in his debut.

Cecil, my three tight ends are are Dallas Clark, Tony Gonzalez and Chris Cooley.I think Cooley will have a great year under head coach Mike Shanahan, but I'm fearful that Gonzalez is on the downhill slide. Thoughts?
-- Chad

Lammey: I LOVE this group of tight ends, Chad. Dallas Clark is going to finish as a top-three fantasy TE once again this year barring injury. Tony Gonzalez is always in top physical condition and has shown no signs of slowing down in what is likely his last year. Matt Ryan had a slump in 2009 and Gonzalez was still the No. 5 fantasy TE in standard leagues.

Chris Cooley and Fred Davis are both going to be featured in Shanahan's system. They'll eat away at each others final numbers but that's a great pickup as your final TE!

What are your thoughts on quarterback Troy Smith signing with San Francisco? Does he get a chance to start and is he worth a flier in a dynasty league?
-- Jim

Lammey: I still have hopes for Troy Smith. I agree with San Francisco that he's a better option than Nate Davis. I think he's better than Alex Smith! In dynasty leagues he still has a lot of value and it wouldn't surprise me to see him as the future starting quarterback for the 49ers.

Mr. Lammey, I'm in a dynasty league. Is the Rams' Mardy Gilyard a wise pick up on the waiver wire? Or should I keep Baltimore's T.J. Houshmandzadeh?
-- Ron

Lammey: There's been a lot of fantasy buzz surrounding the Ravens' new receiver, but I think T.J. Houshmandzadeh is past his prime. He won't move up from third on the depth chart in Baltimore unless Derrick Mason or Anquan Boldin are hurt. His skills have seriously declined and he thinks he's better than he actually is at this point in his career.

Mardy Gilyard is a playmaker who can score anytime he touches the ball. However, he will take some time to develop. In a dynasty league I like him more than Houshmandzadeh.

I play in a league where I can start three running backs and two wide receivers. My thoughts were to start Ryan Mathews, Jerome Harrison and Michael Turner, but should I start Joseph Addai instead of Turner? Addai has one heck of a weak matchup against the Texans. What are your thoughts of Harrison? Here's my list of RBs:

-- Ryan Mathews, San Diego

-- Jerome Harrison, Cleveland

-- Michael Turner, Atlanta

-- Joseph Addai, Indianapolis

--Steve Slaton, Houston

Thanks man! It's awesome to know there are no more Mondays this year with out football!
-- Richard

Lammey: I love the Michael Turner and Ryan Mathews combination! However, I have serious doubts about Jerome Harrison as Cleveland's lead back for the entire year. He's the starter by default and I believe Peyton Hillis may take his job sooner than people think. Plus, the Browns' offensive line isn't that good, and we know Jake Delhomme has seen better days.

So I would go with Addai here. He started to look hungry at the end of last year and really flourished. Addai then carried over that momentum into this preseason. The concussion has to concern you, but I would always start him over Harrison.

Pittsburgh is a tough matchup for Michael Turner, but in Week 1 you always start your studs. Tampa Bay may not be a pushover either for the Browns. They greatly improved their defensive line this year and should be able to shut down the run.

Hey Cecil, I need some expert advice on who I should start and sit this week in a PPR format. I am in two leagues and have a few questions about who has the greatest upside.

Is Giants WR Hakeem Nicks a starter over RB Ahmad Bradshaw?

What about the passing attack in Chicago? Is the Bears' Johnny Knox worth a start over Nicks against Detroit?

Does Denver's Jabar Gaffney break into the line-up vs. Nicks or Bradshaw?

-- Robert

Lammey: You've got some great options here Robert. I feel you should spread the love and keep one of your Giants on the bench this week. Because it's a PPR league, I would go with Bradshaw over Nicks (even though I believe he'll have a big game too) because he gives you points as a rusher and a receiver. Then you should turn to Johnny Knox.

This is the week to start your Bears. Knox is the perfect fit for a Mike Martz offense and should put up big numbers against the Lions. I am worried about Chicago QB Jay Cutler's ability to stay upright behind that offensive line, but in Week 1 against Detroit the matchup is too good to resist.

I have a question about starting running backs this week. I have five mediocre running backs, but hoping a couple of them turn out to be steals. I have Knowshon Moreno, Jahvid Best, Miami's Ronnie Brown, Tampa's Carnell Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw. Which of those three players should I start? Thanks!
-- David

Lammey: I am hesitant to trust Moreno this week, and you have a group of RBs here with high upside. Jahvid Best could have a huge debut against the Bears this week. Even if the Lions fall behind early, Best is dangerous as a receiver out of the backfield.

Ahmad Bradshaw is ready for a breakout performance this week against the Panthers. With Eli Manning and those dangerous receivers (Steve Smith and Hakeem Nicks) the defense won't be able to stack the line to stop the run. Wide-open rushing lanes equals big time production for a guy like Bradshaw.

Your final RB spot should be Ronnie Brown. The Bills defense has been beset by injuries this offseason and the Dolphins love to run the football with both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

A Quick trade question for you this week. I get Tony Gonzalez and Beanie Wells, I give up Owen Daniels and Joseph Addai. I'm in a 12-team 0.5 PPR league, with otherwise standard scoring. My other TE is Heath Miller. My other RBs are Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Donald Brown and Javon Ringer. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
-- Rand

Lammey: I would do this deal in a heartbeat. You are set at RB already and need a safer option over Owen Daniels who is only now coming back from an injury he suffered in the middle of last season.

T.K.O.
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
i got orton on both my nfl.com teams as my starter...
i could'nt care less if my fantasy team wins as long as the broncos WIN !
but i think he will be a fantasy sleeper this year:salute: