PDA

View Full Version : Football Foods for Frau and Friends

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
So I'm looking for inspiration for tomorrow. Having some friends over to watch the game and as tradition in my circle of friends for any gathering, it will be a food fest as well. But I want something new to try and I'm not coming up with anything I'm sold on.

We've recently done chili, chili verde, tacos, sour cream chicken enchiladas, chicken noodle soup, pulled pork sammiches, burgers, steak, roasted chicken, baked ham, a nachos bar....and probably more I'm not remembering.

Anyone have any suggestions, preferably crowd friendly?

KCL
09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I was going to suggest chili when I saw the thread topic..I like doing chili and having dogs for chili dogs with onions and cheese...actually you just about hit on everything I could come up with...:D

I also need to start thinking of things to fix...I try to get things ready ahead of time for us..the crockpot helps a lot.I will think on it and post some ideas if I come up with any.

Sometimes I get lazy and just order out.

KCL
09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I just thought of one..something my daughter and I love but hubby doesn't...ever fix taco soup? It's good with tortilla chips.

BigDaddyBronco
09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
BBQ chicken, wings, brats, sub sandwiches, pizza of course....

KCL
09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Brats with kraut and mustard...have with baked beans and/or potato salad or whatever sides you like.

Brisket is also a good idea and can be made ahead of time.

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I just thought of one..something my daughter and I love but hubby doesn't...ever fix taco soup? It's good with tortilla chips.

I haven't but it sounds delicious and right up my alley! Do you have a good recipe?

Nomad
09-11-2010, 06:04 PM
hot wings w/ celery

grilled steak tips w/ baked beans

pulled pork sandwiches

bbq ribs:grillin:

chili

On those cold days, I like to make a big pot of cajun chicken and sausage gumbo served over rice!:hungry:

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
BBQ chicken, wings, brats, sub sandwiches, pizza of course....

Mmmmm......sammiches and pizza. Wings are out, as most of my friends make WAY better wings than I do. :)

I'm gonna have to start planning a menu for upcoming games. This'll be great.

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
On those cold days, I like to make a big pot of cajun chicken and sausage gumbo served over rice!:hungry:

Oh yum. I've never tried my hand at gumbo. Sounds good though!

T.K.O.
09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
potato skins....you can just bake a bunch of taters slice in 1/2 then scoop out about 1/2 the tater center,throw a little butter on the remains and rebake for a few minutes to crisp (a little)
then save all the inards for mashed taters later.(or have a mashed potato fight if the broncos lo..can't say it)
throw out some salsa,bacon bits,sour cream,green onion,cheese,chili,broccoli w/ cheese sauce is good...pretty much whatever sounds good.
it's filling...cheap and yummy:salute:

Nomad
09-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh yum. I've never tried my hand at gumbo. Sounds good though!

It's awesome, imo, especially on those cold days!! here's a recipe!!

http://www.tonychachere.com/recipesapp/ViewRecipe.asp?RecipeId=173&RecipeName=Chicken, Andouille, and Smoked Sausage Gumbo

KCL
09-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I haven't but it sounds delicious and right up my alley! Do you have a good recipe?

I use 2 pounds of ground beef.
2 pkgs of taco seasoning
1 pkg of the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix..sounds odd but that's what it calls for
I can of yellow hominy...drained
2 cans of beans...I use kidney and pinto beans...drained
2 cans of Rotel
1 can chopped green chillies
1 large chopped onion
1 and a half cups of water

I brown the meat with the onion and then add the pkgs of taco seas and ranch mix...then add the the rest of the stuff...stir it up good and let it simmer.

This is how I make mine..there are some different recipes on the internet.

KCL
09-11-2010, 06:33 PM
How about a big pan of home made lasagna? I'm making myself hungry here.
Or spaghetti with Italian sausage sauce with garlic bread...mmmm..lol

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
How about a big pan of home made lasagna? I'm making myself hungry here.
Or spaghetti with Italian sausage sauce with garlic bread...mmmm..lol

Man, I'm STARVING right now, thinking about all this great sounding food.

I was going to make egg salad sandwiches for dinner but now I might have to actually cook.

T.K.O.
09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
tomorrow i am making "enchilasagna":elefant:

i take corn tortillas lightly fried in butter and smeared with refried beans cover the bottom and up the sides of a huge baking dish.
throw on a layer of diced pork (sauted) or chicken or ground beef.
then some grated cheese (pepper jack or a mix of colby/jack chedder whatever)
some salsa or enchilada sauce
repeat until pan is almost full.
then top (or serve with )
shredded lettuce
sour cream
diced jalepenos]
green chiles
black olive
:salute:

broncogirl7
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Taco Tailgate Party!!!
Easy, you can be creative with lots of different toppings.
You can do tacos, burritos, taco salads...Yummy!

T.K.O.
09-11-2010, 07:20 PM

i take corn tortillas lightly fried in butter and smeared with refried beans cover the bottom and up the sides of a huge baking dish.
shredded lettuce
sour cream
diced jalepenos]
green chiles
black olive

i forgot the avocado's !:shocked:
after you bake the whole "enchilada" ....(350 for about 35-40 minutes)
this should be topped with guacamole or sliced avocado,also have lots of diced tomato ready !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and remember to layer everything including the tortillas shmeared with beans .
obviously you have your favorite recipe's for mexican style food so use whatever you like but it makes for a big,easy to fix batch of grubbins:salute:

girler
09-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm big with making different dips and then having a bunch of different kind of chips around.

One of my family's favs is really easy. soften a box of cream cheese on a plate in the nuker, then smear around evenly on said plate. Dump on a can of chili- which ever you like best- and smear around too. Top with lots of cheese, then nuke. Great dip!

I have a great apple dip recipe too.
2 boxes cream cheese- softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

stir together until smooth, and dip with granny smith apple slices.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
A good desert:

CHERRY DUMP CAKE
Dump 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in 9x13 inch pan (juice and all). Dump a can of cherry pie filling on top of pineapple. Spread one package either yellow or white cake mix (dry) over the above ingredients but do not mix. Dot pieces of butter (1 stick) over the cake mix. 1/2 cup chopped nuts may be added not or after baking (optional).
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until brown and the cake mix is absorbed in the fruit. Let cool and serve with either whipped cream or ice cream. Other fruit combinations could be used.

frauschieze
09-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh yum. I officially love this thread.

For tomorrow, Tortilla Soup has been decided on and the gumbo has been chosen for next week. I may make Broncos Balls too. :)

And maybe that dessert too! That sounds good and easy. I'm all about easy when game time is 11 am.

underrated29
09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Im an appetizer fan for stuff during games. Nothing too filling. Just good munchers and go back for more when needed.

My fav dip that was previously undefeated until the indy game and philly game last year. Ingredients sound gross but it rocks your face off. Everyone likes it!

1 can pimento cheese
1can cream mushroom soup
1 can diced green chilis
1 tomatillo
1-finely minced jalapeno

put all ingredients into a pan and heat that bastage up. mmmm

Then I like Turds- yeah thats what they are called.

genoea salami, ham, and whatever thin meat you like. Roast beef does not work as well, same with turkey.

mix cream cheese and green onions. put a spoonful in middle of meat, roll it up like a burrito, fold the ends in and then put a dab of the cheese on the lip to seal it...kinda like a hand rolled J. But they are good and quick and easy. and you eat them not smoke em.

Then finally some meatballs in teriyaki - everyone does bbbq, italian, etc...But the teriyaki meatballs are off the effin chain girl. If you dont know how to make hit me up, but most people do. I dig all those with some homemade salsa or just reg salsa. Pizza is sick and wings too, but if its just me I get lazy.

oh yeah and I totally forgot, bacon wrapped jalapenos or greenchilis...which ever pepper you use, cut the lid off, stuff them bastages full of cheese and any spice you like, maybe a few mini minced onions, wrap them up in their bacon sheild, bake and cream your pants.

GEM
09-12-2010, 01:01 AM

shredded lettuce
sour cream
diced jalepenos]
green chiles
black olive

I do the something similar, though I call it enchilada pie. :lol: Damn good stuff.
Chicken
green chile
tortilla
sharp cheese

layer after layer like lasagna.
I just tried something different on it the last time I made it. I like to get a bit creative when I throw stuff together so I added some fresh cilantro to the layers and OMG good freaking stuff!!! :D

GEM
09-12-2010, 01:07 AM
A good desert:

CHERRY DUMP CAKE
Dump 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in 9x13 inch pan (juice and all). Dump a can of cherry pie filling on top of pineapple. Spread one package either yellow or white cake mix (dry) over the above ingredients but do not mix. Dot pieces of butter (1 stick) over the cake mix. 1/2 cup chopped nuts may be added not or after baking (optional).
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until brown and the cake mix is absorbed in the fruit. Let cool and serve with either whipped cream or ice cream. Other fruit combinations could be used.

My kids love the jello infused cake.

Take the normal cake mix, whatever flavor and cook normally. Get the same flavor jello. Mix the jello and water. After the cake has cooled, poke holes throughout the cake. Then pour the jello water over the top. Frost the cake and place fresh fruit all over the top.

Strawberry is the best. :D

*Atwater*
09-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I'm making Menudo tomorrow.

:drool:

Timmy!
09-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Beer.

Davii
09-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Ribs. All you need.

claymore
09-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Im smoking a Brisket right now. This thread has made me so hungry. I really wanna try TKO's thing and Carol's desert.

T.K.O.
09-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I really wanna try TKO's thing and Carol's desert.

:tsk::laugh:

T.K.O.
09-12-2010, 07:34 AM
I do the something similar, though I call it enchilada pie. :lol: Damn good stuff.
Chicken
green chile
tortilla
sharp cheese

layer after layer like lasagna.
I just tried something different on it the last time I made it. I like to get a bit creative when I throw stuff together so I added some fresh cilantro to the layers and OMG good freaking stuff!!! :D

my wife does not like cilantro,so the only way i get away with using it is if i add it to the pork or chicken while i brown it...then she does'nt notice it !;)
and why the hell did i wake up at 5:45 this morning ? it's freakin' sunday.
opening day jitters ?
i was glad the game was an early one so i would'nt have to wait so long ,then i get up 3 hrs early anyway to start cookin'

BroncoJoe
09-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Beer.

It's really all you need.

underrated29
09-12-2010, 10:32 AM
my wife does not like cilantro,'

Damn, that is a crying shame. Cilantro imo is the best ever spice/herb whatever the freak it is, even more than garlic. Well, about equal to garlic actually. But it still is king.

Nomad
09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
It's really all you need.

Do you get the 5.7 liter mini Coors Light keg or go all out with the 5 gallon keg!!:D

BroncoJoe
09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Do you get the 5.7 liter mini Coors Light keg or go all out with the 5 gallon keg!!:D

18 pack. :beer:

frauschieze
09-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Made Taco Soup today and it was AMAZINGLY yummy. I ended up using a recipe from Paula Deen (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/taco-soup-recipe/index.html) (which somehow did not contain butter, so I'm not convinced it was really from her), but substituted my own "taco seasoning" for a storebought packet.

Rave reviews from everyone who came over and I'll DEFINITELY be adding this into the regular household dinner rotation. Thank you so much, KCL, for the fantastic suggestion.

KCL
09-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Made Taco Soup today and it was AMAZINGLY yummy. I ended up using a recipe from Paula Deen (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/taco-soup-recipe/index.html) (which somehow did not contain butter, so I'm not convinced it was really from her), but substituted my own "taco seasoning" for a storebought packet.

Rave reviews from everyone who came over and I'll DEFINITELY be adding this into the regular household dinner rotation. Thank you so much, KCL, for the fantastic suggestion.

I like it..and like I said earlier...there are several different ways of fixing it...I am glad you liked it Frau.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 onion - diced
2 cans diced green chili
1 can evap. milk
1 small bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos - may want to buy a larger bag, just to have enough
1 chicken boiled - deboned (I use boneless chicken breasts - saves time)
shredded longhorn cheese - (any yellow shredded cheese will work)
1 cube of butter - melt on low - saute onion

Mix soup, evap. milk and sauted onion together

Layer doritos, chicken, soup mixture - top each layer with cheese

Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 mins.

Watchthemiddle
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
LIttle smokies wrapped in crescent rolls

BigDaddyBronco
09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
LIttle smokies wrapped in crescent rolls

Little smokies wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with brown sugar and bake them for about 40 min @ 400 degrees. They make a mess, get sticky, etc, so line the pan with foil.

uses 1 package little smokes, 1 package bacon, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Cur bacion into 3rds just long enough to wrap the lil smokies.

Awesome.

KCL
09-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Chili for us tomorrow...anyone have some good ideas for diabetic recipes, dinners,snacks and desserts..easy and simple preferably.
I bought a recipe book today and have been on different sites as well.

frauschieze
09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
It'll be gumbo time at Frau's haus. Mmmm.....

Don't have a clue about diabetic foods unfortunately, KCL.

Nomad
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Cooking a big pot of homemade soup on this cold day! I would of cooked chicken/sausage gumbo but I had that Saturday watching the LSU gameand it was gooooooooooooood!!:hungry:

Also, I decided to go light and I'm going to enjoy a few Miller Lite's!!!

frauschieze
11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh man, that gumbo I made was to die for. Took forever, but man....I could have eaten that for ages.

MileHighCrew
11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
perogies fried with onions mmmmmmmm..............