PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Bailey talking long-term contract

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16037566

The veteran cornerback could be in line for a four-year deal that would extend through 2014.

The Broncos and Champ Bailey are deep into negotiations that would extend the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback's contract an additional four years.

It continues the Broncos' trend of going against conventional wisdom by bringing financial certainty to an otherwise uncertain NFL labor situation.

Despite the threat of a 2011 lockout, the team has already extended the contracts of restricted free agents Chris Kuper, Elvis Dumervil and Kyle Orton. And now the team is moving aggressively to lock up Bailey, who otherwise would be eligible to test the open market after this season.

"With respect to the process between our organization and Jack Reale (Bailey's agent), we'd rather keep things private," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. "We acknowledge we're in talks."

In working out extensions for Kuper (five years, $25.5 million), Dumervil (five years, $58.33 million) and Orton (one year, $8.8 million), the Broncos followed similar blueprints. Most notably, the team did not touch the pay those players were to receive in 2010.

That's fine by Bailey. By virtue of his nine Pro Bowls, he will collect $13 million in salary and bonuses this year, the final season of his seven-year, $63 million deal.

The extension would keep him in a Broncos uniform through 2014, when Bailey would be 36. By that time, he might be the Broncos' free safety.

He has acknowledged the possibility of switching positions, as Rod Woodson did late in his Hall of Fame career. Bailey has said he would not consider such a transition before he turns 35.

"Champ's a thoughtful guy. I knew that from being around him," said now-retired safety John Lynch, who played in the Broncos' secondary from 2004-07. "He's one of these guys who has his 10-year plan outlined. That's something we talked about. I told him he's going to be another Woodson and steal you another three, four years in this league."

Does Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler, believe Bailey can play at a Pro Bowl level at the more physical safety position?

"Absolutely, because — and that's why I had such a high level of respect for him — he could easily have said, 'Hey, I'm a cover corner, I'm not going to stick my nose in there and get hurt,' " Lynch said. ". . . But Champ's never been afraid to mix it up. And he's also incredibly instinctive, which is what makes you at the safety position.

"So, I think it'll be a natural switch when he does. But I don't think it's that time yet."

For several years during his existing contract, Bailey was the NFL's highest-paid player at a position other than quarterback. With age a factor in this negotiation, Bailey and the Broncos are working on a deal that would make him the third-highest paid cornerback, after the Jets' Darrelle Revis (four years, $46 million) and Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha (three years, $45 million).

But the new deal could set a standard for a nonquarterback who is 32 years or older.

MileHighCrew
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I hope Champ is a Bronco until he is done.

IMO since traded here he is the perfect example of the Broncos and will follow Elway as an all time great and all time leader of this franchise.

BigDaddyBronco
09-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Claymore will be pleased.

SOCALORADO.
09-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Thats weird cause Claymore textd me and said he was going to the town hall to burn a photo and a jersey of Champs on the townhall steps this morning if Champ did indeed get a contract extension.
If Champ doesnt get one, then he will not burn them unless........................

camdisco24
09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Champ is one of my all time favorite Bronco players.
He's a true class act and a great face for this organization.
If this deal gets done, I will buy his jersey. I've been waiting to hear about a contract because I'm always hesitant to buy players jerseys until they're going to be here for a while (cough cough Brandon Marshall) If Champ signs, I think there will be little doubt he'll retire as a Bronco. It'll be the first jersey I've bought in years if he signs.

Overtime
09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I love Champ and I love what he's brought to Denver, but I'm growing concerned with his age, diminishing speed, and the injuries he keeps having.

not sure I agree with a long term contract, and imo after this season, we should probably shop him while we can, and look to go younger.

weazel
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I love Champ and I love what he's brought to Denver, but I'm growing concerned with his age, diminishing speed, and the injuries he keeps having.

not sure I agree with a long term contract, and imo after this season, we should probably shop him while we can, and look to go younger.

dude was the best and still among the top few, but I agree... its a business and the team has to think about how Champ will play in 4 years.

Also depends how the contract is structured as well.

Bosco
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Champ Bailey came up under Darrell Green who was still an elite corner in his mid 30's and above average into his 40's. Rod Woodson was still a borderline elite corner turned safety when he retired at 38.

I don't think giving a 4 year deal to a corner who is only 31 is that far out of the question.

Northman
09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I hope Champ is a Bronco until he is done.

IMO since traded here he is the perfect example of the Broncos and will follow Elway as an all time great and all time leader of this franchise.

Ditto. Glad they are working with him.

Magnificent Seven
09-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Champ is one of my all time favorite Bronco players.
He's a true class act and a great face for this organization.
If this deal gets done, I will buy his jersey. I've been waiting to hear about a contract because I'm always hesitant to buy players jerseys until they're going to be here for a while (cough cough Brandon Marshall) If Champ signs, I think there will be little doubt he'll retire as a Bronco. It'll be the first jersey I've bought in years if he signs.

Cool. Louis Wright, Steve Atwater, and Champ Bailey are my favorite defensive back players. I wish to see all of them play together. It would be super solid!

WARHORSE
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
This is absolutely great news imo.

Ive always thought Champ would move to safety eventually, and when he does go there, he will play lights out specifically because of what Lynch was quoted as saying.....hes very instinctual.

Even if he lost a step, his experience and thought process will allow him to be a lights out centerfielder.

What a helluva secondary we'll have in a couple of years with Cox gaining experience along with whomever comes along at number two. Sydquan could very well be that guy too. But Champ at centerfield would strike fear into the hearts of opposing QBs.

Hes not as big as Sharper, but hes every bit if not more instinctual.

Its a very smart move on the part of the Denver F.O., and I love what Im seeing.

All that, and on top of it, Champ is every bit the leader you want in your lockeroom.

And one more thing: Champ is most definitely a hall of fame player, and I want him wearing a Broncos uniform when he goes in.

Triple gun Tim Tebow salute comin up:

BADDAM!
:salute::salute::salute:

dogfish
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
he's one of the three or four best players to ever wear our jersey, IMO. . . this is good news. . .

weazel
09-10-2010, 01:49 PM
as long as it isn't way too much money, why not. Guys a class act.

WARHORSE
09-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, pay the man now when theres no salary cap.

Not too many teams looking to take advantage of that end of the labor situation.

Denver made a statement this offseason financially. We are not going to sign any long term deals with players that dont show very specific qualities. We WILL sign players we want in our lockeroom.

Doom, Kupe, Orton and now Champ are all guys who we want to keep on our roster.

Imagine had Denver not moved to take care of this, next year would have had all these guys in the free agent market.

Clady is going to be clamoring to get paid soon as well...............mark it down.

TimTebow15MVP
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
oh now his punk ass agent wanna keep things quiet? Thats funny because earlier this summer his punk ass was crying out to the media about how the broncos are going cruddy because we was not discussing a new contract

Ravage!!!
09-10-2010, 03:25 PM
This surprises me considering how Belicheck wouldn't pay some of their top talent at CB. Then again, they've gone through serious CB issues since.

Elevation inc
09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
This surprises me considering how Belicheck wouldn't pay some of their top talent at CB. Then again, they've gone through serious CB issues since.

we have passed the issue where MCD doesn't pay his good players.......;)

they are different coaches now for sure.......ego and silence on injuries are about the only 2 things they have in common.......

i do know this though MCD...1............Bill..........0.......lol;)

dogfish
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM
oh now his punk ass agent wanna keep things quiet? Thats funny because earlier this summer his punk ass was crying out to the media about how the broncos are going cruddy because we was not discussing a new contract

"With respect to the process between our organization and Jack Reale (Bailey's agent), we'd rather keep things private," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. "We acknowledge we're in talks."

:confused:

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes please. That would be wonderful. Always been a huge Champ fan.

bcbronc
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Well, pay the man now when theres no salary cap.

Not too many teams looking to take advantage of that end of the labor situation.

be a bad strategy as far as labour negotiations go though.

Denver made a statement this offseason financially. We are not going to sign any long term deals with players that dont show very specific qualities. We WILL sign players we want in our lockeroom.

Clady is going to be clamoring to get paid soon as well...............mark it down.

I like the decisions made so far. when the Marshall situation first started, I thought just pay the guy, he's earned a raise. but as it unfolded, imo McDaniel's caution was rewarded, imo.

seems he asks the players to make a commitment to the organization first, then that commitment is reciprocated. no one can question Bailey's commitment to the orange and blue; glad to hear he could be here for a while yet.

Slick
09-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd love to see them reach a deal, especially if it means that Champ might possibly move to safety at some point. I've always thought he'd be able to make more plays playing centerfield than at corner.

Ravage!!!
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
we have passed the issue where MCD doesn't pay his good players.......;)

they are different coaches now for sure.......ego and silence on injuries are about the only 2 things they have in common.......

i do know this though MCD...1............Bill..........0.......lol;)

Hmmm... if you say so. But I think the score is Bill-3, McD-0

TimTebow15MVP
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Lol oh im sorry agent. But he was mouthy earlier in the summer. These negotiations should go into the season like 5-6 games. so we can see more of champ doing what he did in the pre season in LIMITED action. i hope hes back though. it would only be for the better of the broncos if he can pull a charles woodson and be playing some of his bestball ever as hes into the 30s.

TimTebow15MVP
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM

mcd has just as many rings as bill. :/

Elevation inc
09-10-2010, 04:58 PM

i was doing games versus each other mode......

:tsk::tsk: geez rav.....:lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
It's about time! Let this guy finish his career as a Bronco. I want him in the Ring of Fame and sporting the Orange and Blue at his HOF induction!

GEM
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM

I was just thinking the same thing....Clay is off having a coronary somewhere.

claymore
09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I think I should just start taking zanex.

weazel
09-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I remember that entire first season he was here I was complaining about how overrated he was and such a waste of money :laugh:

Then after the season it was explained that he was hampered by injury all year...

Portis was good, but a shutdown corner is harder to find than a decent running back, especially in the Shanny ZBS era... one of the best trades EVER

Italianmobstr7
09-10-2010, 07:07 PM
He's an absolute necessity on this team, and for this organization and I'll be so happy if/when we re-sign him. He needs to retire a Bronco. 4 year deal sounds good. He can play CB for a couple, and Safety for a couple if need be. He's epitomizes what a Denver Bronco should be.

Italianmobstr7
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM

You really DON'T want us to re-sign Champ? Do you hate everything the organization does?

tubby
09-10-2010, 08:35 PM
excellent

T.K.O.
09-10-2010, 08:47 PM

probably not wise to mix with the ten high and trucker speed :welcome::laugh:

PAINTERDAVE
09-11-2010, 03:05 AM
We have been spoiled by having Champ here.
His excellence is a major factor in our secondary.
It is not just physical... it is wisdom, savvy, vision and leadership.
He is an incredible asset to our talented young defenders.
It will be because of him that our secondary works so well/hard.

Dude has at LEAST 4 good years left in him...

This is a GREAT move.... that will benefit our defense for years to come.

I hope he moves to coaching for the Broncos when he is done playing.

Those who would trade him... you just don't remember what it used to be like around here before he came. Players like Champ don't just appear every season.