PDA

View Full Version : Which WRs will play for Broncos on Sunday?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/09/which-wrs-will-play-for-broncos-on-sunday/5109/

Rookie first round draft pick Demaryius Thomas successfully made it through his third straight practice Thursday, a significant step as he continues to gain confidence in his surgically repaired foot.

Thomas was absent from nearly all of the preseason practices and all of the preseason games after reinjuring the foot on Aug. 7. He has appeared increasingly stronger, faster and more confident each day this week in the portion of practice that is open to the media, and coach Josh McDaniels said Thomas is “getting better every day.”

But there is no guarantee Thomas will make his debut Sunday against Jacksonville.

The Broncos have six receivers on their 53-man roster, but history shows at least one — and maybe two — will not be included on the 45-man game day roster. The Broncos played with four receivers in eight games last year, and with five in the other eight games.

This means the Broncos coaching staff will have an interesting decision to make when deciding which players will play and which will be inactive.

Through the preseason, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal and Brandon Lloyd have been the team’s starters. Of those, only Royal plays special teams. Matt Willis and rookie Eric Decker both play special teams but have been with the second- or third-team offense during the preseason games. Thomas showed potential early in camp as a big, physical, deep-ball threat, but he has yet to get any game action.

So which receivers should play? Who can the Broncos afford to leave out? Should the team hold Thomas out longer to let him continue to recover from his foot injury? Tell me what you think, Broncos fans.

dogfish
09-09-2010, 05:21 PM
unless thomas' foot is still bothering him, i'm guessing we'll dress five pretty much every week, with either willis or decker sitting. . .

underrated29
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
^Bingo- I think the same...

This week I think we might see

gaffers,lloyd,royal,willis, DT

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I think they need to get Decker in there

OldschoolFreak
09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, let DT sit another week for two reasons-

1) You've got to avoid another re-injury, obviously
2) And as Carol points out, Decker is not only looking like a big time keeper, he's also a clutch possession guy who should provide a great security blanket for Orton in the absence of Stokes.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I know it's a little off topic, but I read on the Jags home site today that no matter the weather, the Jags have decided to wear their home jerseys (teal) for all home games this year. That means we'll get to wear our away whites which should help a little with the heat and beating sun.

It's also NE Florida so there will be a mid-afternoon shower (you can almost set your watch to it) which should lower the temperature some, too.

Back on topic, I'd love to see Thomas but if he's not 100% then there's no real reason for him to go. I'm not saying deactivate him, but it would be nice if he was safely tucked away (like say 4th WR) and maybe used sparingly in special packages. He and Decker would be hard to cover as jump-ball/fade targets in the redzone... :beer:

Grover
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
While I agree with the above posts, here's another option:

Play only four Wide Receivers - Gaffney, Lloyd, Royal, and Willis. Let both Decker and Thomas sit. With only four WRs in the game, it gives us an extra spot for a linebacker or DE/DT. Keeping Jones-Drew in check with some extra help in our front seven could be a good move.

I'm thinking with four receivers, plus our Tight Ends, there's enough potential pass catchers out there to get Orton through his reads as well as occupy what reportedly is a weak Jacksonville secondary.

Food for thought anyway. We'll see come Sunday if my guess is correct.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
While I agree with the above posts, here's another option:

Play only four Wide Receivers - Gaffney, Lloyd, Royal, and Willis. Let both Decker and Thomas sit. With only four WRs in the game, it gives us an extra spot for a linebacker or DE/DT. Keeping Jones-Drew in check with some extra help in our front seven could be a good move.

I'm thinking with four receivers, plus our Tight Ends, there's enough potential pass catchers out there to get Orton through his reads as well as occupy what reportedly is a weak Jacksonville secondary.

Food for thought anyway. We'll see come Sunday if my guess is correct.

I understand your line of thinking, Grover, but with the group of WRs you have listed, who's the redzone target? Gaffney is the tallest at a listed 6'2" (which we know is closer to 6' even). Inside the 20, and especially inside the 10, the passing lanes get clogged and you have to throw over the top (jump balls and fades). The guys you have listed really aren't built for that. Unless Dan Graham becomes the option (and he's only 6'2" which is short for a TE by today's standards) I just don't see our passing game being overly effective near the goalline.

I think we need at least a guy like Decker for those scenarios.

Grover
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Horsepower 56 -

Thanks for your insights. I went to the Jacksonville website and studied their starting DBs and LBs. Yup, everyone is like 6-1 to 6-3 tall. Either Decker or Thomas might work out OK. :salute:

DenBronx
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I'd play Llyod, Royal, Gaffney, Decker and DT. (5 WR's)

Like someone already mentioned. Who's our redzone target? DT and Decker are a little bigger at least then the others. I would let DT suit up and see how he feels before the game. If he feels good then put him in on certain plays. If it's still a little sore then he can sit but at least gets a taste of what it feels like to be on the field and in a real game.

I would sit Willis for now. Decker and Lloyd both run good routes and seem to have the hot hand. I think it's in our best interest to go into the first game or possibly all year with 5 WR's. There are so many options when you do that and will keep the guys fresh. Royals a must because of special teams. I wouldn't be shocked to see Gaffney lose his role to one of these younger guys real soon.

shank
09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
i'm torn between dressing DT or willis. willis has been playing great, but i really want to see DT in action. if DT is 100%, then dress him. decker looks too good to not see game time...

i'm not too worried about special teams. i'm guessing that cox and thompson will be handling return duties.