PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16025936?source=rss

After watching the Broncos-Steelers game the other night, during which Robert Ayers recorded a surprising two sacks and had another taken away by a penalty, I began to wonder about the 3-4 system being the reason for Elvis Dumervil's enormous success last year.

Is it possible that the Broncos' scheme is designed to lock up all the blockers in order to free up the weakside outside linebacker (Dumervil or Ayers) to make the play? Obviously Elvis is very talented, but maybe the system has something to do with it too?

— Jordan Harp, Washington, D.C.

Jordan: The 3-4 system is constructed so that the nose tackle and at least one defensive end are responsible for run-stop and stuffing the middle. Since former defensive coordinator Joel Collier introduced the 3-4 to the Broncos in the mid-1970s, the idea was for the outside linebackers to support the run, rush the passer and help in pass defense.

Randy Gradishar led the Broncos in tackles every year (and was the first, and maybe the only NFL player, to record 100 tackles in 10 straight years — some of those during a 14-game schedule. Yet, he is still not in the Hall of Fame.).

In this system, the weakside backer is a pass rusher, and rarely is asked to do much in pass defense. "We don't ask them to do something (back-pedal) that they really don't do," Josh McDaniels told me last year about the switch for both Dumervil and Ayers.

Ayers was a down end, just as Elvis was, and Ayers' adjustment last year to linebacker was extremely difficult. That's why he wasn't much of a force (one fumble return for a touchdown). This year he has gotten more comfortable with the position, run support and the pass rush.

There is one problem with your statement. Ayers is a strongside backer, and Elvis was the weakside backer. (Jarvis Moss is playing backup on both sides.) The scheme is, as you said, designed to lock up the blockers.

What I'm certain you'll see is that Ayers will line up on the line of scrimmage on certain downs, and the blitz, under Don "Wink" Martindale, will come from both sides, the strong safety and the cornerbacks. The Broncos' defense has been mostly vanilla, without whipped cream or a strawberry, in the exhibition games.

Ayers is improving, and should have, oh, a half-dozen sacks this year. You must remember that Elvis had 12 1/2 sacks as a full-time, true defensive end in 2007 (but fell to five in 2008). I think the system works well for Dumervil, but his size (5-foot-10) and speed really help him because he can stay low, and he can whip in from the outside.

Ayers is taller and not as quick. It's a shame that Dumervil will be out for the entire season, but I think McDaniels was more concerned about Elvis returning to full strength next season, rather than risking four games this year, especially given the long-term investment the Broncos now have in him. (I don't think insurance figured in the issue, although I'm honestly not sure on this specific contract if the Broncos recoup money from the insurance if Elvis doesn't play this year).

What does a season-ending injury like LenDale White's do to his suspension? Does he get to serve the suspension on IR or is it still there if he gets a chance to come back?

— Adam, Bothell, Wash.

Adam: The suspension will be over when and if LenDale returns next year. I'm not certain, though, that he can fully recover from the Achilles tear. I've had two friends with the same injury. One chose rehabilitation, the other surgery, and it took a full year in both cases.

Obviously, they don't play football, and aren't as young as LenDale, and didn't have the same rehabilitation center. But it's not a trifling injury. He seemed to have his head on straight, coming home to Denver. I hope he can make it back.

Woody, your mailbags are the best at The Post. 1. How concerned should I be about turnovers for the Broncos this year? 2. Tim Tebow looked good on Thursday, didn't he? Should this quell any doubts about him becoming a contender in years to come? 3. The Raiders can't really be favorites for second place in the division, can they?

— Dapper Dan, Astoria, N.Y.

D.D.: You're obviously in the minority about the mailbags, but I enjoy doing them. Too many people confuse them with a column. I approach them as I would a letter or an e-mail from you, and the replies are in a conversational tone. Maybe I should give up the mailbag, though. I'm too old to spend my only day off every week sitting at a computer.

But I like your questions.

1. I don't think turnovers will be a major issue this year unless . . . It seems to me that Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter, who will be the workhorses again when both are fully healthy, lost about a half a dozen fumbles last year, and Moreno should improve in that area. Orton threw a dozen interceptions and fumbled the ball away a couple of times. I don't see Orton's numbers increasing because he doesn't take that many chances and throw into traffic down the field — until the Broncos get behind. The catches will be spread around, and Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal are not fumblers. We don't know about the rookies, truthfully. I think the problems are when Orton does get behind and panics, he throws more interceptions. He had one in the first seven games last year (while posting a 6-1 record) and 11 in the last nine, including three INTs twice when the Broncos were behind at home. If the Broncos get ahead, he'll be fine in that area. If.

The issue is the Broncos getting more turnovers. They were pitiful in plus-minus two years ago, but better last year. (17 interceptions to 13 for the opposition, 13 fumble recoveries to 10 of their own fumbles.)

2. Tebow will prove the doubters wrong. He can play. He will be a big-time quarterback. Mel Kiper and others, many who read this mailbag, will have to admit they're wrong (although they won't do it publicly). He's a born leader and can make things happen. He will make mistakes, but he'll more than make up for them. The other Broncos know he will be good. He actually played better in the exhibitions than I thought he would, and we would have seen more if he hadn't injured the ribs.

3. Yes, the Raiders are contenders for second place in the AFC West, and probably, in my opinion, will finish with a better record and position than the Broncos. They are a good defensive team, and Jason Campbell is a big-time upgrade, as you know, at QB. He can throw the ball long in the offense Al Davis will never let go of. They're pressed a bit in the offensive line (like the Broncos) and at wide receiver, and they're depending on three rookies to come through, but I loved their draft, and they won't finish with 12 losses any more. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hey, Woody! With the start of college football upon us, it got me thinking forward to next year's NFL draft. I know it's a long shot in the dark now, but what do you think the Broncos will need to address in next year's draft? Also, are there some players in the college ranks I should be paying extra attention to in hopes of them helping the Broncos one day?

— Chad, Roseville, Calif.

Chad: Thanks for asking. All I've been thinking about is next year's draft. NOT! I did look once about two weeks ago at the best prospects at all the positions when I was doing a story on CU's Marquez Herrod. It's an incredible story (not because I wrote it; Herrod is the story, and I just tried to stay out of the way to tell it).

He was a homeless kid whose father ran away, and his mother was put away, and he lived in more than a dozen foster homes and centers until he got out of high school. Now he is a second-team All-Big 12 and a second-team conference All-Academic selection. If he has a good year, Marquez will be a late-round draft pick. Keep an eye on him.

What do the Broncos need next year? OK. They'll need another running back and definitely another tight end. They should be fine on the offensive line (from loading up this year) and at wide receiver (two rookies, Matt Willis, who's an up-and-comer; and Eddie Royal).

They've got Tim Tebow for the future, and Kyle Orton may or may not be back, depending on this year. Either Orton or Brady Quinn will be gone next year, but I don't see another quarterback being drafted.

They'll need more linebackers (one outside, one inside); a nose tackle (because Jamal Williams will be getting up there in age, and Ronnie Fields is a spot player); a defensive end who is a monster; and a safety (assuming Champ Bailey plays cornerback for another year and since we don't know if Brian Dawkins will continue to play).

Alphonso Smith is gone, but I like Perrish Cox, who will move in at cornerback when Champ moves over or out.

I'd put the priorities in this order:

1. Defensive end (don't we say that every year?)

2. Inside linebacker

3. Running back (someone to back up and split time with Knowshon Moreno)

4. Tight end (I think Daniel Graham has only a year or two left here, and the other Quinn - Richard - hasn't proven anything)

5. Nose tackle.

6. Strong safety.

7. Cornerback.

8. Another tight end.

9. Free safety.

10. Another defensive end.

11. Another running back.

12. An outside linebacker.

13. Another linebacker.

Of course, the Broncos won't have that many draft picks (especially if they trade a bunch away to get one player.

Here are the players you should watch. I guarantee (ha!) that one of these will be a Broncos' draft pick next year. They are all defensive ends who will play down or be converted to outside linebacker:

# Marcell Dareus, Alabama (he's hurt right now)

# Robert Quinn, North Carolina

# Adrian Clayborn, Iowa (who struck a cab driver last year, apparently going for the sack)

# Cameron Heyward, Ohio State

# Von Miller, Texas A&M

And a defensive end from Miami whose name I forget.

Hey, Woody, I've got a strategic question for you. You hear a lot of talk about the difficulty of rookies learning an NFL playbook. Why don't more colleges implement more of a pro-style playbook?

— Bob, Denver

Bob: I honestly don't understand why NFL teams feel they need such a "War and Peace" playbook. The old Green Bay Packers had about three offensive plays. Josh McDaniels showed me his playbook. Mike Shanahan showed me his playbook. Dan Reeves showed me his playbook. Red Miller showed me his playbook. The playbooks have gone from 100 pages to a thousand pages. Miller got the Broncos to one Super Bowl; Reeves coached Denver in three.

I know. Times change, and offenses are more complicated. There are dozens of formations and tens of dozens of plays off each formation, and teams only use 40 or 50 on offense, at the most, every game. But still?

College players don't practice eight hours a day year round. They're not as experienced as pro players. They're not going up against such sophisticated defenses. And they're not as smart about football at a young age, and the game doesn't move quite as fast, and the players on the other side aren't as good, and they do need to study something besides football occasionally. Plus, players can't watch films of the other team for hours every day.

Nevertheless, if you study the history of the world, Genghis Khan kept his offenses and defenses simple, and the Mongolians once controlled all the land from China to Europe. More coaches should study Genghis Khan and Vince Lombardi. I think if you can run a dozen plays correctly, you can beat anybody.

arapaho2
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
i would put NT as the top priority in upcomeing drafts...jammal isnt a youngster

Bosco
09-09-2010, 04:29 PM
i would put NT as the top priority in upcomeing drafts...jammal isnt a youngster

As would I. As things stand right now, I think we need to go into 2011 looking to acquire a long term replacement at NT, a talented prospect DE that we can groom to take over for Bannan in a couple years and a Kevin Faulk type RB to replace Buckhalter.

Beyond that, I think we can pretty much go BPA.

arapaho2
09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
As would I. As things stand right now, I think we need to go into 2011 looking to acquire a long term replacement at NT, a talented prospect DE that we can groom to take over for Bannan in a couple years and a Kevin Faulk type RB to replace Buckhalter.

:grillin: now your cookin

except after NT i would put in a pass catching TE...i think mcd is severely underestimating the impact a good , 6'5" 6'6" guy with speed and great hands could have on the offense

topscribe
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM

True. Good as Jamal has been, at his age he is a band-aid.

I can't think of any position more pressing . . .

-----

Bosco
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
:grillin: now your cookin

except after NT i would put in a pass catching TE...i think mcd is severely underestimating the impact a good , 6'5" 6'6" guy with speed and great hands could have on the offense

I think they're looking to Gronkowski (sp?) for that role, however if he busts and/or a really good prospect is available in the draft, I think McD will jump on it.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I think they're looking to Gronkowski (sp?) for that role, however if he busts and/or a really good prospect is available in the draft, I think McD will jump on it.

Gronkowski was a 7th round pick. We're hoping for a diamond in the rough. Hopefully he'll at least turn out to be more than just another lump of coal.

Bosco
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Gronkowski was a 7th round pick. We're hoping for a diamond in the rough. Hopefully he'll at least turn out to be more than just another lump of coal.

So was Shannon Sharpe, and Antonio Gates went undrafted. :D

TXBRONC
09-09-2010, 10:49 PM

I agree with you that I about getting both a nose tackle and defensive end, but I'll be happy if we can find a long tern replacement at nose tackle first and foremost.