PDA

View Full Version : Hey, we aren't the only ones cutting losses on 2009 Busts!

OldschoolFreak
09-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Browns cut second-rounder from '09 — 4:51 p.m.

In somewhat of a surprising move, the Cleveland Browns waived 2009 second-round pick OLB David Veikune. The Browns announced they signed CB Derrick Roberson to take his place on the 53-man roster.

Veikune, 24, only played in 16 snaps on defense as a rookie, but saw nearly 100 snaps on special teams.

Because he appeared in 10 games last season for the Browns, he’s not eligible for the practice squad.

The second-year linebacker has nearly $500,000 guaranteed left on his four-year deal, a source confirmed.

— Adam Caplan

The Browns cut this guy who was selected in the second in 2009. Maybe this will reduce some of the squealing around here?

On another note, anyone know anything about this guy? Being cut by the Browns does not exactly speak volumes for the guy but people thought highly enough of him just a year ago to make him a high pick. And we could certainly use some more OLB help with Elvis out. Just a thought.

Toughts?

claymore
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Browns cut second-rounder from '09 — 4:51 p.m.

In somewhat of a surprising move, the Cleveland Browns waived 2009 second-round pick OLB David Veikune. The Browns announced they signed CB Derrick Roberson to take his place on the 53-man roster.

Veikune, 24, only played in 16 snaps on defense as a rookie, but saw nearly 100 snaps on special teams.

Because he appeared in 10 games last season for the Browns, he’s not eligible for the practice squad.

The second-year linebacker has nearly $500,000 guaranteed left on his four-year deal, a source confirmed.

— Adam Caplan

The Browns cut this guy who was selected in the second in 2009. Maybe this will reduce some of the squealing around here?

On another note, anyone know anything about this guy? Being cut byy the Browns does not exactly speak volumes for the guy but people thought highly enough of him just a year ago to make him a high pick.

Toughts?

If they used their #1 pick this year to move up and select him... It still wouldnt make me feel better. Because thats waht the Browns are supposed to do. Not us.

OldschoolFreak
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I hear you Clay, and don't disagree. Still, hopefully this reinforces the fact that Alfie wasn't a worst of all time kind of move. These things do happen every once in a while (though hopefully it won't happen again for a long time around Denver).

OldschoolFreak
09-08-2010, 10:04 AM
And here, some more cuts of recent high draft picks.

OLB Cody Brown (Arizona Cardinals, second round 2009), WR James Hardy (Buffalo Bills, second round 2008), DT Jarron Gilbert (Chicago Bears, third round 2009), QB Pat White (Miami Dolphins, second round 2009), and WR Juaquin Iglesias (Chicago Bears, third round 2009) all had partial guarantees on their deals, but only Gilbert was claimed off waivers. No other teams put in a claim for Gilbert other than the New York Jets, a source confirmed.

— Adam Caplan

claymore
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I hear you Clay, and don't disagree. Still, hopefully this reinforces the fact that Alfie wasn't a worst of all time kind of move. These things do happen every once in a while (though hopefully it won't happen again for a long time around Denver).

If we would have taken him in the second round (straight up) I would have zero heart burn. I would be more pissed about R. Quinn as well, but I am wore out from some of the other moves. :D

OldschoolFreak
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Look on the bright side Clay, at least now you know not to get your hopes up too high in terms of personnel decisions so you're less likely to get burned going forward!

claymore
09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Look on the bright side Clay, at least now you know not to get your hopes up too high in terms of personnel decisions so you're less likely to get burned going forward!

My expectations are so low right now that if the plane arrives on time in Jacksonville on Sunday I will be pleasently suprised!

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM

No one has ever stated that. But since McDaniels is indeed our current coach it doesnt make me feel any better about the reach. I think people are confusing "not liking" a move to "worse thing ever". I havent seen anything on here that the "sky is falling" only that people who thought it was a reach to begin with are now vindicated from the BS they took when we made the pick. Simply "sweeping it under the rug" with a ho-hum attitude isnt the way to go either. McDaniels deserves criticism just like the next guy.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM

OLB Cody Brown (Arizona Cardinals, second round 2009), WR James Hardy (Buffalo Bills, second round 2008), DT Jarron Gilbert (Chicago Bears, third round 2009), QB Pat White (Miami Dolphins, second round 2009), and WR Juaquin Iglesias (Chicago Bears, third round 2009) all had partial guarantees on their deals, but only Gilbert was claimed off waivers. No other teams put in a claim for Gilbert other than the New York Jets, a source confirmed.

— Adam Caplan

Thanks for posting - it happens everywhere

claymore
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
No one has ever stated that. But since McDaniels is indeed our current coach it doesnt make me feel any better about the reach. I think people are confusing "not liking" a move to "worse thing ever". I havent seen anything on here that the "sky is falling" only that people who thought it was a reach to begin with are now vindicated from the BS they took when we made the pick. Simply "sweeping it under the rug" with a ho-hum attitude isnt the way to go either. McDaniels deserves criticism just like the next guy.

Word.

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:18 AM

So does criticising coaches.

honz
09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
If they used their #1 pick this year to move up and select him... It still wouldnt make me feel better. Because thats waht the Browns are supposed to do. Not us.
The Pats selected Maroney and Chad Jackson in the first round.

OldschoolFreak
09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not trying to reignite the Alphie debate here, more just pointing out these types of things aren't that uncommon.

I'm more interested in hearing people's thoughts on potential roster upgrades from he above list.

Tempus Fugit
09-08-2010, 10:23 AM
The Pats selected Maroney and Chad Jackson in the first round.

Jackson was a second round selection

Mike
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM

He deserves criticism for Smith and also for the Quinn pick. However, the degree of the criticism that I have seen smells like grasping.

It was a mistake. Easily the biggest that he has made. But what's done is done and no amount of complaining erases or changes it. It's done, life moves on.

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
He deserves criticism for Smith and also for the Quinn pick. However, the degree of the criticism that I have seen smells like grasping.

Just like the degree of defending Mike. Its a two way street. A lot of people who even bother to question ANYTHING this guy does gets constantly attacked for it.

BigDaddyBronco
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh my gosh. I don't think there are ever 1st round busts. It never happens to other teams....

Guys please, it sucks, but it happens all the time.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
So does criticising coaches.

Obviously, I am aware of that. There is nothing in my post that indicated criticism should not be allowed.

Grover
09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
In looking at the roster as it stands today. We have 27 players on offense, 23 players on defense, and 3 on special teams. We are indeed thin on the defensive front 7, which is why I liked the move to get Vickerson. He can play inside and out on the defensive front line.

I do think that we might see other roster moves during the season, whether due to injury (hopefully not) or lack of contribution (cough - Jarvis M. - cough).

I think our middle linebackers will be good, but I am concerned about Hunter at OLB who has played the position for, let me check my watch, about twenty seven minutes. Then there's Moss who gets blocked out of the play a whole bunch more than I'm comfortable with.

The point of this post is that I'm uncomfortable with our defensive front seven and I think we need another player. I understand that with our injuries on the Offensive side of the ball, that we are carrying perhaps one more OL and one more RB than what we might conceivably need were everyone healthy. But I'm thinking that either Clark or Batiste get cut from the O-Line when Clady/Harris prove they're healthy, and we look for another to rotate at DE or OLB.

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Obviously, I am aware of that. There is nothing in my post that indicated criticism should not be allowed.

And people are aware that draft busts happen as well. I dont think we need a reminder of that.

Ravage!!!
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure thats the BIGGEST mistake he's done. But certainly the most obvious when it comes to the draft... at this point.

It happens.. of course. But the thing that made it worse was that he traded away a 1st round pick that he got after trading away our starting QB. It compounds, especially when everyone could see that it was a major reach.

It will happen again, Im sure. But this wasn't just some 2nd round pick alone. He deserves criticism for "getting the guy he wanted" and willing to give up so much to get him. Thats going to be the eyes on other 1st round selections as well.

Mike
09-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Just like the degree of defending Mike. Its a two way street. A lot of people who even bother to question ANYTHING this guy does gets constantly attacked for it.

There is criticism and then there is what has been going on lately. At times it almost seems that people want to see the Broncos fail just to validate their position. I think that is why you see some people defend McD the way they do.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
And people are aware that draft busts happen as well. I dont think we need a reminder of that.

Well, then obviously this thread is a mute point, as that is what it is about.

honz
09-08-2010, 10:37 AM
What gets lost in this is that we found 2 late round corners that show great promise, especially Cox. Should help ease the pain.

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
There is criticism and then there is what has been going on lately. At times it almost seems that people want to see the Broncos fail just to validate their position. I think that is why you see some people defend McD the way they do.

Thats incorrect and a major reach on your part. Ive never seen anyone who disagrees with McD's moves want this team to fail. They are just simply tired of the constant attacking because they want to voice their displeasure so when something happens that validates one of their concerns they do take pride in the fact they were vindicated. Two separate issues to me. If they didnt have to constantly take heat for voicing themselves things probably wouldnt resort to where it has gone.

Northman
Well, then obviously this thread is a mute point, as that is what it is about.

It was pointless, i agree.

Northman
What gets lost in this is that we found 2 late round corners that show great promise, especially Cox. Should help ease the pain.

Most definitely.

Mike
09-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Thats incorrect and a major reach on your part. Ive never seen anyone who disagrees with McD's moves want this team to fail. They are just simply tired of the constant attacking because they want to voice their displeasure so when something happens that validates one of their concerns they do take pride in the fact they were vindicated. Two separate issues to me. If they didnt have to constantly take heat for voicing themselves things probably wouldnt resort to where it has gone.

I don't think it is, I think that is how McD supporters see it. As I am sure that the anti-McD people see it your way. Like I said I think it has little to do with people being upset with McD and more to do with the way it comes across.

From a McD supporter, it absolutely seems like some (not all) anti-McD people want him to fail and use his mistakes to justify their position. Maybe that isn't true, but it is a perception.

I guess both sides can be wrong at times in how they voice their opposition or support at times.

claymore
09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Winning cures all. We will find out soon if all this BS was worth it.

Northman
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think it is, I think that is how McD supporters see it. As I am sure that the anti-McD people see it your way. Like I said I think it has little to do with people being upset with McD and more to do with the way it comes across.

From a McD supporter, it absolutely seems like some (not all) anti-McD people want him to fail and use his mistakes to justify their position. Maybe that isn't true, but it is a perception.

I guess both sides can be wrong at times in how they voice their opposition or support at times.

Than that perception is off kilt. Ive never seen anyone on here actually post or say they want the team to fail. If someone is "assuming" that than the problem is on their end but is not a justification to attack other members. As a mod you should know this.

Mike
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Than that perception is off kilt. Ive never seen anyone on here actually post or say they want the team to fail. If someone is "assuming" that than the problem is on their end but is not a justification to attack other members. As a mod you should know this.

I see who is attacking. And it happens on both side of the fence.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm not trying to reignite the Alphie debate here, more just pointing out these types of things aren't that uncommon.

I'm more interested in hearing people's thoughts on potential roster upgrades from he above list.
I suggest we allow the CURRENT players to show what they can bring before more knee-jerk suggestions on other teams' trash. Cohesiveness takes time, so expecting the team to improve overnight from adding players every week will onlylend itself to fan futility, I fear. I can already hear the posters whining if either of these new guys actually see the field on sunday, and don't shine..."what a TERRIBLE PICKUP!"....
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM

I've never been under the impression that the Broncos is only team that has made drafting mistakes but I don't follow the 31 other teams in the same way Broncos. Just because it happens everywhere shouldn't mean we can't discuss it as long as we're respectful of differing opinions.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
^^^ WORD!

PAINTERDAVE
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
McD has been here one season and two off seasons.
It's his first stint... he is learning.

The Smith pick was made as an absolute rookie Head Coach with very little time to prepare for the draft.
Xanders was involved as well.

So... Smith became a weak sister with no confidence...
how could McD have predicted that?

It is all water under the bridge now any way.

We have the BEST 53 guys they could choose from. Time to live in the NOW.

Letting it keep you up at night... worrying about Smith and where he was picked...
what other pick COULD HAVE been made?

That is crazytown. That is being the kind of guy whose wife leaves him,
because he is like a dog wth a bone about stuff that is now... IRRELEVANT.

Let it go, boys. Accept what is. Think about today and tommorrow...
let go of yesterday.

Being a hater and dwelling in the past... the land of "what if"....
not an attractive choice.

Go Broncos! Beat JAX. Yay for the TEAM. Go McD. Go Kyle. Go Timmy.:elefant:

Northman
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I found this line really hilarious considering how many times the "past" gets brought up by those defending McD.

arapaho2
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM

— Adam Caplan

im wondering...did any of those teams trade the 14th overall pick straight up,for a second..then trade that pick a year later for a7th rnd?

cause if not ...they dont make me feel any better

BigDaddyBronco
09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
What would worry me more is if Smith turns into a really good CB in Detroit.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 11:33 AM
But certain posters would rather pound on McD's failures than his wins. And then when they're confronted on it they use the old "McDhomer" or "McDluver" labels. Hellsbells....I myself dont need to join in on the calling the smith pick/tradfe bad.....it's been done ad nauseum. I'd much rather talk about the PRESENT players on the team.
His predecessor spent a 2nd rd pick(3rd Comp) on clarett, who never made it out of TC. But instead of admitting to that EPIC FAIL, many will instead point to the WIN of finding the perfect rb for his scheme in the 6th rd. It'd be nice to see McD allowed the same latitude.

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
McD has been here one season and two off seasons.
It's his first stint... he is learning.

At what cost and whose expense?

The Smith pick was made as an absolute rookie Head Coach with very little time to prepare for the draft.
Xanders was involved as well.

I don't get why so many people throw this excuse out there as if it absolves McDaniels and Xanders in any way. The both of them acknowledged their limitations regarding the draft before the draft. They STILL MADE the move. They are big boys and this is a big boy world, they should get big boy heat for it.

So... Smith became a weak sister with no confidence...
how could McD have predicted that?

We can pretend there weren't scouting reports and scouts who questioned how Smith's game would translate, if at all, to the NFL.

what other pick COULD HAVE been made?

I am not worried about what pick would have been made last year. I look at this year and realize the team could have added Iupati, Pouncey, or a plethora of other players with that #14 or McDaniels could have turned it into multiple picks as he had been doing a fine job of.

Let it go, boys. Accept what is. Think about today and tommorrow...
let go of yesterday.

I guess the decisions are having an impact on the team today and it will be hard not to acknowledge it.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
wow! I think you just vindicated Mike's post with your vindication on being vindictive.

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
But certain posters would rather pound on McD's failures than his wins. And then when they're confronted on it they use the old "McDhomer" or "McDluver" labels. Hellsbells....I myself dont need to join in on the calling the smith pick/tradfe bad.....it's been done ad nauseum. I'd much rather talk about the PRESENT players on the team.
His predecessor spent a 2nd rd pick on clarett, who never made it out of TC. But instead of admitting to that EPIC FAIL, many will instead point to the WIN of finding the perfect rb for his scheme in the 6th rd. It'd be nice to see McD allowed the same latitude.

I have seen you label people Shanahanuthuggers JUST YESTERDAY!!!!!!
Pot meet kettle.

And again with the intentional lies. Everybody knows Clarrett was the last choice of the third round. Also everybody knows burning a pick on the 3rd round is vastly different than WASTING a high 1st rounder :coffee:

Northman
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Pot meet kettle.

And again with the intentional lies. Everybody knows Clarrett was the last choice of the third round. Also everybody knows burning a pick on the 3rd round is vastly different than WASTING a high 1st rounder :coffee:

/owned

arapaho2
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM

that we selected a couple promising players in the later rounds....in no way takes away the fact we could have had the 11th and 14th picks in the draft naturally

thats alot of ammunition to trade down and build a roster..tradeing both those picks down to get his guys,in this case thomas and tebow , would have gained a plethora of additional picks

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Winning cures all. We will find out soon if all this BS was worth it.
Goodness! That was ALMOST a positive post, clay. ; )

silkamilkamonico
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
im wondering...did any of those teams trade the 14th overall pick straight up,for a second..then trade that pick a year later for a7th rnd?

cause if not ...they dont make me feel any better

NFL drafting guru and king chef of talent Bill Parcells did release their last year's 2nd, and 3rd round pick, which is absolutely blunderous drafting in it's own right.

broncofaninfla
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Any coach/GM, no matter how experienced or accomplished they are, deserves criticism when it merits it. Xanders and Mcd are no different and neither was Shanny when his decisions didn't pan out. I don't buy into the "it's ok because it happens to every team" thought.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I've never been under the impression that the Broncos is only team that has made drafting mistakes but I don't follow the 31 other teams in the same way Broncos. Just because it happens everywhere shouldn't mean we can't discuss it as long as we're respectful of differing opinions.

For the second time - just because my post stated "thanks for posting - it happens everywhere" as a reply to a post which showed draft busts on other NFL teams - THAT DOES NOT INDICATE THAT I MEANT IT CAN'T BE DISCUSSED Not sure why you and North even tried to state that is what I meant :confused:

Lonestar
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Perhaps all do not want ot expect it but several have posted on more than one occasion that his leash is short or they expect him to be fired if he does not have "a winning season" to a "13-3" or" win a suoerbowl in season 2 or 3".

At least that is how I see their posts.

Comparing him to mikey in those regards.
Perhaps that is why there is such a divide on this forum.

When I say I just want to move on and embrace the new TEAM and coach.
The constant bombardment of those type of comments just leads to bringing up mikeys failures.

Just as Y'all are tired of hearing about those.

Short leash, superbowl or bust, along with he has to make the playoff or he is gone, Pat did not bring him into have 8-8 seasons, or one my all time favorites dismantle one of the greatest young offenses.

Suming it all up it is a two way street. Reteoric like that listed above is baiting and as off topic as slaming mikey which is vindicated because had he not fubared it he would still be here. No one caused his demise except him.

NO ONE.

MileHighCrew
09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Drafting Smith was not a bust..... wait hear me out....

Broncos traded the 11th pick for a second round pick = millions saved.

Traded Smith for a 7th round pick = million more saved.

paid million for FA that wont play = came out even

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Pot meet kettle.

1. Never said any such word.
1a. Said something close to that, but it was in response to one of your namecalling buds, which I quoted, and was in jest (note the Lol?)
2. "intentional lie"? You MIGHT watch your intentional labeling of me.
3. OOH. I made a mistake on the round. Ez to do since I'm limited with my phone. But I'm so glad this board has you for censoring all posts for accuracy.

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Drafting Smith was not a bust..... wait hear me out....

Broncos traded the 11th pick for a second round pick = millions saved.

Traded Smith for a 7th round pick = million more saved.

paid million for FA that wont play = came out even

All at the prospect of losing MANY more Millions by fielding what could be a subpar team

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
1. Never said any such word.
1a. Said something close to that, but it was in response to one of your namecalling buds, which I quoted, and was in jest (note the Lol?)
2. "intentional lie"? You MIGHT watch your intentional labeling of me.
3. OOH. I made a mistake on the round. Ez to do since I'm limited with my phone. But I'm so glad this board has you for censoring all posts for accuracy.

Back pedaling extraordinaire. Nice excuse using your phone. I post from mine all the time and i don't get something like the round wrong. I'm done with it. The last thing I want is GEM to have to clean up another thread.

MileHighCrew
09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Just trying to find a positive over a draft pick I have spent way too much time being mad about

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Just trying to find a positive over a draft pick I have spent way too much time being mad about

I hear you :salute: I think the positive (for me) is the position will end up being filled by two players (Cox and Thomspon) quite soon and for a long time to come. So while we lost on Smith at least we wont be looking to still fill that position.

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
For the second time - just because my post stated "thanks for posting - it happens everywhere" as a reply to a post which showed draft busts on other NFL teams - THAT DOES NOT INDICATE THAT I MEANT IT CAN'T BE DISCUSSED Not sure why you and North even tried to state that is what I meant :confused:

I didn't accusing of anything. If I thought you meant that I would have asked you.

Please don't be mad at because I worship the ground you walk on. :worship:

MileHighCrew
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I hear you :salute: I think the positive (for me) is the position will end up being filled by two players (Cox and Thomspon) quite soon and for a long time to come. So while we lost on Smith at least we wont be looking to still fill that position.

I don't question the players we have now, I think we got very lucky and that was some very good drafting. The Smith pick will always bug me. The same way I think Tebow could be a very good pick but a 2nd 3rd and 4th could have been very good for this team.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
/owned
^^^ ROTFLMAO.

Lonestar
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
His predecessor spent a 2nd rd pick on clarett, who never made it out of TC. But instead of admitting to that EPIC FAIL, many will instead point to the WIN of finding the perfect rb for his scheme in the 6th rd. It'd be nice to see McD allowed the same latitude.

Actually it was a 3rd round pick but I concur with the rest of your post.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
DAMN this mobile forum software and no Hi5's. :(

claymore
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Last pick of the 3rd round and A compensatory pick at that.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes, Jr, my faux pax has.already been hilighted. And thx....my post didn't all go for naught. ; )

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Last pick of the 3rd round and A compensatory pick at that.
So couldn't that have been used on a better, safer, maybe even more important pick? Back in the day, wasn't the 3rd rd on Day 1 of the draft and considered pretty important? Not sure of the FA loss that pick came from, but he(they) was high enough to equal a 3rd! Lets not minimalize the pick just to make your point. Everybody cries about getting comp'd when losing FA's.

claymore
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
So couldn't that have been used on a better, safer, maybe even more important pick? Back in the day, wasn't the 3rd rd on Day 1 of the draft and considered pretty important? Not sure of the FA loss that pick came from, but he(they) was high enough to equal a 3rd! Lets not minimalize the pick just to make your point. Everybody cries about getting comp'd when losing FA's.

Mike wanted him in the 4th round and we didnt have a 4th round pick that year. So we used a free pick at the end of the 3rd round to do it.

Low risk / high reward deal if you ask me.

Slick
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Simply "sweeping it under the rug" with a ho-hum attitude isnt the way to go either. McDaniels deserves criticism just like the next guy.

Is there a statute of limitations on said criticism?

broncophan
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM

I don't know??:confused:.........they drafted Brady Quinn......and now look who has him....I think they got a whole lot smarter when they brought in Holmgren......but then again.....yea....they have been pretty damn stupid over the years....so it doesn't take much to get smarter I guess...

Northman
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM

:lol:
Apparently not, former coaches get brought up everyday here.

Slick
09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Apparently not, former coaches get brought up everyday here.

So that makes it okay?

Northman
09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
So that makes it okay?

Makes what ok? Im not sure what your driving at here.

claymore
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM

One winning season. I say we make it a man law. We are only 9 weeks away!

Slick
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Makes what ok? Im not sure what your driving at here.

Never mind Northman.

Northman
09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Never mind Northman.

Nah, im serious. I really dont know what your driving at. Are you implying that we should never say anything negative about a HC for our team or what?

Slick
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Nah, im serious. I really dont know what your driving at. Are you implying that we should never say anything negative about a HC for our team or what?

Not at all, but there has to be some point where we at least move on to bitching about the now instead of the past.

No one in their right mind can defend the Alphonso Smith move with a straight face. The move was horrible, it stunk, it should have never happened, we would have been much better off holding on to that draft pick for the 2010 draft. The end. Please?

Northman
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Not at all, but there has to be some point where we at least move on to bitching about the now instead of the past.

No one in their right mind can defend the Alphonso Smith move with a straight face. The move was horrible, it stunk, it should have never happened, we would have been much better off holding on to that draft pick for the 2010 draft. The end. Please?

I get what your saying but i mean come on man, this isnt like he was cut a month or more ago. The news is still pretty fresh and although ive already moved on i think you can kind of blame the guy who started the thread. There really wasnt a need for this thread if your trying to move on know what i mean? There's plenty of blame to go around for that but i get what your saying. And it would be grand if others could allow the past coaches and players be just that too. :salute:

Ravage!!!
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
didn't we just trade Smith yesterday? Monday? Not exactly like its been a season or so ago for us to 'move on' about. I think someone is complaining about a second day flyer on Maurice Clarette. How long ago was that?

(Btw, another HoF coach in the name of Bill Parcells, said he was going to take him in the 4th anyway... just for those above that feel a last compensation pick in the 3rd was much too high)

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM

I have all the respect in the world for you Slick. But with all due respect I have to at least state we are heaping criticism in the here and now. Smith was only traded a couple of days ago. He was only drafted last season. Finally, the ramifications of the entire situation will be felt ALL season-I assure you.

Northman
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I dont hold it against Slick. He's one of the good guys on here.

jhildebrand
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont hold it against Slick. He's one of the good guys on here.

Neither do I.

I also like the way he carries himself and tries to keep things on track in a civil way like he just did.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
that we selected a couple promising players in the later rounds....in no way takes away the fact we could have had the 11th and 14th picks in the draft naturally

thats alot of ammunition to trade down and build a roster..tradeing both those picks down to get his guys,in this case thomas and tebow , would have gained a plethora of additional picks

Hmmmm....fine and dandy, rap, but I seem to remember a plethora of posters seeminly 'in the know', that Bowlen was hurting for cashola! How in the world would he have afforded such moves? :cool:

LRtagger
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
FYI the Colts just released a player they selected in the 2nd round of the 07 draft.

They gave up a future 1st and fourth to be able to pick him up.

They got more out of him than we did Smith (obviously), but it was still a monumental mistake.

Traveler
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
FYI the Colts just released a player they selected in the 2nd round of the 07 draft.

They got more out of him than we did Smith (obviously), but it was still a monumental mistake.

This should be interesting....

Polian admitting a mistake? The horror! He gave up more compensation then we did for Smith. Wonder if he'll get raked over by the national media.

One hundred dollars says he gets a pass.

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
This should be interesting....

Polian admitting a mistake? The horror! He gave up more compensation then we did for Smith. Wonder if he'll get raked over by the national media.

One hundred dollars says he gets a pass.

Yeah he'll probably a pass. It may not be but Polian has a very long and distinguished resume of top flight players that he's drafted.

Yeah he's caught a little bit of criticism for it but in and of itself it's nothing that would kill his career.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
didn't we just trade Smith yesterday? Monday? Not exactly like its been a season or so ago for us to 'move on' about. I think someone is complaining about a second day flyer on Maurice Clarette. How long ago was that?

(Btw, another HoF coach in the name of Bill Parcells, said he was going to take him in the 4th anyway... just for those above that feel a last compensation pick in the 3rd was much too high)

Already forget my name? :rolleyes:

And coach's do/say all sorts of shit, when it comes to draft-day. It's called "gamesmanship". I bet Parcell, if it's true, is STILL laughing his big fat ass off.

And the 3rd was, if I'm not mistaken, a 1st day "flyer". Gee, hope you're not called out for "intentionally lying" about that. :lol:

So playing the "what if" game....

Clarett - 101st pick

Marion Barber - 109th
Brandon Jacobs - 110th
Daren Sproles - 130th

Kyle Orton - 106th

Kerry Rhodes - 123rd
Chris Canty - 132nd

So you see, Rav, by WASTING that pick, the Broncos SURELY set themselves back YEARS. Their rb position could have been set with Barber....we're seeing what good coaching can attain, when you look at Orton....and both defenders have been above decent.

Ok. I'm done with this. I've made my points. Do with them what you will.....

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Maybe Denver should pick him up!!!!!!

Oh wait...who is it?

Eh....who cares....it's INDY!!!!!

LRtagger
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Tony Ugoh. Olineman.

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 10:17 PM

Didn't I read that Shanny kept a whopping 2 players from this year's draft? Not sure, as I can't find the article. But he's also being investigated by the league on trying to skirt the system by trading a rookie instead of cutting him.
I'll HATE if this is all true, as it only solidifies his inability to draft, and only gives credence/more ammo to those that say he cheated back when they won the SB.

Under collective bargaining agreement rules for an uncapped year, if a drafted rookie is cut by the team that drafted him, that team is required to pay 85 percent of that player's salary into a rookie pool. The money from that pool will be distributed to rookies early next year based on the number of downs played in the 2010 season.

The way the rule is written, teams could circumvent the payment by trading a drafted player they were going to cut to another team — and have that team cut the player. Even so, the amount of savings would be small by NFL standards: just $263,500 on a first-year minimum salary of $310,000, the standard pay this year for low-round draft picks.

It is unclear what outcome the union might seek if the trades are found to be a way to skirt the payments, although it would be likely that the union would want all the teams involved to make the payments as if they had cut the players themselves.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • September 5, 2010

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Tony Ugoh. Olineman.

Didn't he start his rookie year, at LT?

OUCH!

Lonestar
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Didn't I read that Shanny kept a whopping 2 players from this year's draft? Not sure, as I can't find the article. But he's also being investigated by the league on trying to skirt the system by trading a rookie instead of cutting him.
I'll HATE if this is all true, as it only solidifies his inability to draft, and only gives credence/more ammo to those that say he cheated back when they won the SB.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • September 5, 2010

guess that does not surprise me at all.

Slick
09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I get what your saying but i mean come on man, this isnt like he was cut a month or more ago. The news is still pretty fresh and although ive already moved on i think you can kind of blame the guy who started the thread. There really wasnt a need for this thread if your trying to move on know what i mean? There's plenty of blame to go around for that but i get what your saying. And it would be grand if others could allow the past coaches and players be just that too. :salute:

I have all the respect in the world for you Slick. But with all due respect I have to at least state we are heaping criticism in the here and now. Smith was only traded a couple of days ago. He was only drafted last season. Finally, the ramifications of the entire situation will be felt ALL season-I assure you.

Fair enough guys, and maybe I over reacted. The day we signed Ty Law to come play nickel was the day I wrote this kid off. Just because I had moved on doesn't mean everyone else did. My bad.

LRtagger
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Didn't he start his rookie year, at LT?

OUCH!

Yes he started and he wasnt very good. Lucky for him he had Manning under center who can usually make all of the guys around him look good.