PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith admits he never regained confidence in Denver

Italianmobstr7
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Alphonso Smith admits he never regained his confidence...
This is from an interview by detroit media. He says that if he was still in denver, that he would still be lacking in confidence, and that he let people form perceptions of him based on how he carried himself around the facility. We all hoped he had turned it around, as he assured the Denver media he had at the start of the season. It does bite that he did not pan out, but after looking at his comments, it is clear that he was never going to for Denver...at least that is how he felt.

Alphonso Smith looks for a new start with the Lions
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Alphonso Smith understands, probably better than most, the power of perception.
In Denver, Smith, a second-round pick in 2009, was perceived as an underachiever. He was perceived as someone who maybe didn't work hard enough, as someone who because of where he was drafted maybe carried a sense of entitlement. He was perceived as too small (5-foot-9) to be a starting cornerback. He was perceived, ultimately, as a bust.
Thus, the Broncos traded Smith -- for whom they traded a first-round pick in 2010 for the right to move up and select -- to the Lions on Saturday for tight end Dan Gronkowski, a fourth-string tight end taken 255th in 2008.
Advertisement

"I was shocked," Smith said Monday. "If I said I wasn't, I'd be lying to you."
But the more he thought about it, the more he made sense of what happened, and he's grateful for the chance to form new perceptions.

"It's really good to have a clean slate," he said. "I allowed certain individuals back in Denver to form a perception of me, and I paid for it. Hence, the trade. So it's really good for me and my family to be in a new place and in a new town with new teammates just to try to start it all over again."
Smith didn't blame anybody but himself for the negative perceptions in Denver.

"You allow it," he said. "Just in the way you carry yourself around the facility, the way you practice, the way you play. There are a lot of things that go into helping someone form a perception of you, a perception you don't want to give off. Even if it wasn't the case, it's still a perception that you gave them the room to make."

The only perception the Lions have of Smith now is what they remember from his college years at Wake Forest.

"Smith is a guy we really liked in college coming out," general manager Martin Mayhew said. "He's a young guy with some upside, some potential. We had good college grades on him, so he's worth a look as a developmental guy that we will try to bring along. He may give us more than just development, but he definitely has ability."

So why didn't Smith pan out in Denver?

"Every situation is different," Mayhew said. "We've had guys who've been here and gone on to someplace else and played well. We hope he's going to play well for us."

While media huddled around Smith on Monday, safety Louis Delmas ran over and put his arm around him and said, "I want to welcome my dog Alphonso Smith back into the limelight."

Limelight might be a stretch right now. Smith's slated to back up starters Jonathan Wade and Chris Houston.

"I like a lot of things about him," coach Jim Schwartz said. "He's got a nose for the football. With DBs, getting interceptions are a lot like getting sacks for linemen, you either have the knack or you don't. He has the ability to find the ball in the air."

The question, though, is how fast can he deprogram the disappointment out of his system and learn the Lions' schemes.

"I don't know," Smith said. "I had some pretty good coaches in Denver and we ran every defense known to man. And coverages are universal. I just have to figure out how we play our coverages to certain formations and routes."

Confidence, he said, isn't an issue.

"Not much," he said, when asked how much his confidence has waned. "I'm in a new place. If I was still in Denver that answer would be different. I have another chance to leave a different perception here. That's why I am so appreciative of this opportunity. Now I just want to work hard and help the Detroit Lions win football games."

From The Detroit News:

Tned
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I can't believe he said that, especially having just arrived. I know he's trying to explain (make an excuse) for his apparent failure in Denver, but man, I can't imagine Detroit fans (not to mention media and teammates) are going to eat up his, "I lost my confidence because people had a bad perception of me and as a result, sucked it up, but now everything is great, because I'm in a new city...."

Nomad
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
:coffee:Typical once a player leaves a team to throw them under the bus!!

Northman
09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
So he had no mental toughness whatsoever. It wont get any better for him in Detroit if he thinks it was bad here. lol

T.K.O.
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
not an excuse for him BUT...bailey and goodman are gonna make a rook feel pretty inferior.
if he lacked confidence going in multiply that effect !:salute:

Day1BroncoFan
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
The grass is not greener in Detroit. :nod:

honz
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Sometimes you gotta lie to yourself to get out of a rut...I don't care what he says, he's just trying to give himself a chance to regain his swagger. At least he didn't say Denver is a 6.

Tned
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
not an excuse for him BUT...bailey and goodman are gonna make a rook feel pretty inferior.
if he lacked confidence going in multiply that effect !:salute:

True, but I have never heard anything other than Bailey being extremely generous in helping young CBs and WRs.

jhildebrand
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
The Denver book on Alphonso Smith is closed. It was a one chapter deal and its time to move on. It sucks to have blown such a great pick and to lose the player. At least we have Cox from the later rounds and Syd the squid to make up for it.

Lonestar
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Well I hope he kicks ass in det
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Buff
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM

In our defense, we threw him under the bus while he was still here too.

Lonestar
09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Yes you are correct there kind of a sad tribute is it not.:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

hamrob
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I wish him the best. I couldn't believe we traded a future 1 for him...I was almost positive that we had traded up for Rey-Rey when they announced his name. The kid does have talent, it just never developed in Denver.

Cox, thompson and Vaughn all show promise and were had for next to nothing.

Tned
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Yes, Smith, and Doom prior to signing his contract, were the exception to the rule of demonize Broncos once they become ex-Broncos.

Buff
09-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, Smith, and Doom prior to signing his contract, were the exception to the rule of demonize Broncos once they become ex-Broncos.

I don't think anyone demonized doom, they just picked apart his flaws, which is standard during contract negotiations.

No one ever questioned Doom's work ethic, at least not that I saw.

dogfish
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM

in all fairness, some guys pretty much just crawl under there on their own, without any significant propulsion. . .

phonse was one of those guys. . .

Lonestar
09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't think anyone demonized doom, they just picked apart his flaws, which is standard during contract negotiations.

I have never been a fan of putting that much money into any ONE players no matter how good they are or were. what happened to him was a prime example to how devastating IR can be.

I'd much rather spread the money around to other players.

But Pat thought it was the right thing to do and it is his money so I'll go with the flow.

bcbronc
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
I have never been a fan of putting that much money into any ONE players no matter how good they are or were. what happened to him was a prime example to how devastating IR can be.

I'd much rather spread the money around to other players.

But Pat thought it was the right thing to do and it is his money so I'll go with the flow.

B+ players don't win Superbowls.

as for Smith, I would have preferred giving him one more season after what we gave up for him. that said, if "perceptions" have changed, it's best just to move on.

Lonestar
09-08-2010, 03:59 AM

as for Smith, I would have preferred giving him one more season after what we gave up for him. that said, if "perceptions" have changed, it's best just to move on.

So you think the only teams loaded with A players will win Super bowls.

I guess we will have to see who is correct. TEAMS win more games and rings than individual super stars do.

Give me a TEAM full of B+ players any day..

SOCALORADO.
09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Gronunkowskiwitzwicki is gonna kick @$$!!!

Northman
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Dont know about that, calling the guy names like midget and shit is pretty demonizing if you ask me.

SOCALORADO.
09-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Dont know about that, calling the guy names like midget and shit is pretty demonizing if you ask me.

I never called Lil' Alphie midget or shit.
Ever.

atwater27
09-08-2010, 08:25 AM

it's a general rule that they actually have to play good while they are here, at some point, to be liked and respected on another team. The good thing? The classier fans on the board will not call him names. Just a failed pick.

Ravage!!!
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM

You MUST have top players on your team to win on a consistent basis, and when you have top Talent... you have to pay for it. :beer:

I'm a bit surpised by Smith's comments, but in the end of it, I hope that whatever he tells himself he learns from it and moves on. Its hard to be 'fired' from anything.. and when you are in the public eye like athletes are, it has to be that much harder. I like what Detroit is doing right now with their personnel, and this might very well turn out to be a good move for them. It certainly didn't cost THEM anything to give it a go.

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM

I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Smith's work ethic, his preformance or the lack there of was questioned. I don't recall Smith being a midget just because he's 5'9".

OTOH Dumervil was knocked continuously for 5'11" although we have had other linebackers right in that range Tom Jackson, Al Wilson, and D.J. Williams.
I do recall someone eluding to him being a "me" player and a greedy player because he was looking to be paid well.

Tned
09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Smith's work ethic, his preformance or the lack there of was questioned. I don't recall Smith being a midget just because he's 5'9".

OTOH Dumervil was knocked continuously for 5'11" although we have had other linebackers right in that range Tom Jackson, Al Wilson, and D.J. Williams.
I do recall someone eluding to him being a "me" player and a greedy player because he was looking to be paid well.

To be fair, I did refer to him as a small, slow CB, but that's because that's what the talking heads said when we traded a first for him. They say he was a slow, undersized CB that was a ball hawk, but likely not capable of playing other than in the slot.

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
To be fair, I did refer to him as a small, slow CB, but that's because that's what the talking heads said when we traded a first for him. They say he was a slow, undersized CB that was a ball hawk, but likely not capable of playing other than in the slot.

I guess I see that as different that calling someone a midget and infering that a guy is "me" player or "greedy" because he's negotiating for a substantial pay raise especially when said player has been nothing short (pardon the pun) of being a team player.

LoyalSoldier
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Well I hate to say it, but I told you so.......:tsk:

Tned
09-08-2010, 01:50 PM
I guess I see that as different that calling someone a midget and infering that a guy is "me" player or "greedy" because he's negotiating for a substantial pay raise especially when said player has been nothing short (pardon the pun) of being a team player.

I agree, I was just manning up and saying I questioned Smith's physical stats in terms of being a starting outside corner.

LRtagger
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Man I wanted him to succeed here so badly and I hope he picks himself up and plays well for Det.

But really...what a douchey thing to say "yea people had a bad perception of me so I let it affect my play".

Maybe he should have hung around Neckbeard more...who had the exact opposite attitude.

dogfish
09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
i'll take that thought one step further, tagger. . . maybe if he'd just manned the F up and grown his own neckbeard, none of this would've been necessary and he wouldn't be exiled to detroit. . .

kids need to think about this stuff-- shit is real, yo. . .

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Man I wanted him to succeed here so badly and I hope he picks himself up and plays well for Det.

But really...what a douchey thing to say "yea people had a bad perception of me so I let it affect my play".

Maybe he should have hung around Neckbeard more...who had the exact opposite attitude.

How bad of a deal is it to be a nickle back? You're not starter but you would still get plenty of playing.

JDL
09-09-2010, 12:58 AM
The fact is that he just couldn't stick with NFL wide receivers... he trailed them so badly all the time that it was obvious to anyone who watched last year the kid just didn't belong on an NFL field.

At least not then and the team clearly felt not now. Maybe though if he could get some touches and involved in the KR game he might be able to buy some time to build his confidence. You never should wish ill will on a guy, we all would have much rather have seen him succeed, but some fans refuse to the bitter end to see the obvious which was unfortunate over the last offseason plus. Smith was just outmatched and it was time for him to go... I wish him the very best in Detroit.

TimTebow15MVP
09-09-2010, 02:09 AM
so he had a bad rookie year and walked around with his head down the next off season? what a *****. i thought he was just in a slump. Nobody needs a clean slate or fresh start after one rookie season. i never thought phonso was a punk. he is not a true competitor. he said his slump effected his practicing and how he walked around the facility. like he was just down and out with zero confidence. welcome to the nfl phonso. when shit dont go your way you come back better. not walk around with your head down. smh.

Elevation inc
09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
i'll take that thought one step further, tagger. . . maybe if he'd just manned the F up and grown his own neckbeard, none of this would've been necessary and he wouldn't be exiled to detroit. . .

kids need to think about this stuff-- shit is real, yo. . .

lol you rock man.....and that shits real yo:beer::D