PDA

View Full Version : Grilling

Buff
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I just cooked a burger to perfection on the grill...

I don't know what it is, my burgers are always perfect, but I can't seem to ever get a steak just right.

Share your grilling secrets here

BigDaddyBronco
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I just cooked a burger to perfection on the grill...

I don't know what it is, my burgers are always perfect, but I can't seem to ever get a steak just right.

Share your grilling secrets here

Charcoal or gas?

Buff
09-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Gas

BigDaddyBronco
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I usually get it as hot as it can get and sear each side for about 3-4 minutes, rotating every 2 minutes for cross-hatching grill marks.

That usually gives me a pretty decent medium steak. I also let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to let the juices settle and it further breaks down the connective tissue. Also, letting it sit for awhile before you cook it to let it warm up and absorb salt and pepper and granulated garlic does wonders.

Or you can do it NTL's way and drop $1000 for the great big green egg thingy.

claymore
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I usually get it as hot as it can get and sear each side for about 3-4 minutes, rotating every 2 minutes for cross-hatching grill marks.

That usually gives me a pretty decent medium steak. I also let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to let the juices settle and it further breaks down the connective tissue. Also, letting it sit for awhile before you cook it to let it warm up and absorb salt and pepper and granulated garlic does wonders.

Or you can do it NTL's way and drop $1000 for the great big green egg thingy.
High heat sear, time, and let it sit for a few minutes. Thats the key. I never understood how key letting the meat sit was until I started smoking meat.

BigDaddyBronco
09-07-2010, 03:16 PM
High heat sear, time, and let it sit for a few minutes. Thats the key. I never understood how key letting the meat sit was until I started smoking meat.

Smoking meat? :shocked:

slim

I bet you have smoked a lot of meat.

claymore
My smoker brings all the boys to the Yard.

rcsodak
09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
My smoker brings all the boys to the Yard.
That's what she said
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I bet you have smoked a lot of meat.

I have..well not all that much..I love smoked brisket.
clay I would like to smoke your meat...I mean smoke it for you.
What do you like? Brisket,chicken?

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Buff...mmmm..I love a grilled burger...I am going to grill a couple of
KC Strips later today.

claymore
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I have..well not all that much..I love smoked brisket.
clay I would like to smoke your meat...I mean smoke it for you.
What do you like? Brisket,chicken?

Im a fan of Brisket. Ive never had it before a couple weeks ago. It is fabulous.

BigDaddyBronco
09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Im a fan of Brisket. Ive never had it before a couple weeks ago. It is fabulous.
I've had a lot of good brisket over the last few years. They do it right in Texas.

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes it is..I bought the hubby a smoker for Father Day...I also cook it on low and slow in the oven...use Gates BBQ rub on it.

BigDaddyBronco
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes it is..I bought the hubby a smoker for Father Day...I also cook it on low and slow in the oven...use Gates BBQ rub on it.

I love me some Gates Spicy sauce. Worked with some guys from KC and they send it to me once in a while. I could almost drink the stuff, so good....

rcsodak
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I soak my steaks in Coke.....the ultimate tenderizer. I also never put pepper on it until it's off the fire, and don't believe in salt. But I do love me some onions, mushrooms and fresh garlic with applewood smoke.

claymore
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Im going to have to look into the Gates sauce. Ive tried a "midnight rub" Love it... Its bad ass...

Midnight Brisket Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup paprika
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Accent (MSG)

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Im going to have to look into the Gates sauce. Ive tried a "midnight rub" Love it... Its bad ass...

Midnight Brisket Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup paprika
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Accent (MSG)

Gates sauce is good...that's what I always buy..I live near KC and I have never been to Gates.

Thnikkaman
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I soak my steaks in Coke.....the ultimate tenderizer. I also never put pepper on it until it's off the fire, and don't believe in salt. But I do love me some onions, mushrooms and fresh garlic with applewood smoke.

So you don't believe in osmosis? Just the right amount of salt doesn't make your food taste salty, but its a tool to allow the flavors you have put on the surface of the meat to get into the meat. The sodium in your coke is the "salt" that is serving that purpose for you.

claymore
09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
so when you guys smoke your brisket... What temp are you guys looking for? Ive tried 180 and 195. 180 worked out best for me, but Im thinking on taking it to 170, and letting it sit 2 hours (in foil in a cooler).

rcsodak
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
KC Strips later today.
Tease.

Thnikkaman
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I did a high sear this weekend when I grilled fajitas. 1 minute on each side, then wrapped in double ply aluminum foil to let it finish cooking as it rest for 15 minutes.

As others have seen, I accomplished this high sear by putting the steaks right on the coals.

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Tease.

I'm not teasing..I really am going to grill a couple later on.

KCL
09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
so when you guys smoke your brisket... What temp are you guys looking for? Ive tried 180 and 195. 180 worked out best for me, but Im thinking on taking it to 170, and letting it sit 2 hours (in foil in a cooler).

I really don't know...I just know I let it smoke for quite awhile...:D

rcsodak
09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Anybody ever take an onion (sweet), halve it, put butter in the middle and wrap in tin foil and place it directly on the coals? YUMMMMM

T.K.O.
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Buff, make sure the steak is room temp then grill hot never turn more than once and try rubbing a little butter on your meat :D
use whatever grill spices you like but put a little butter on just before grilling,it makes for a nice "crisp" ext and gives it that steakhouse flavor !

johnny's seasoning salt and butter works great together

Day1BroncoFan
09-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Proper cooking of steaks is highly dependent on how you like your steaks cooked and how thick the meat is.

Do you like rare, medium or well done? What is the thickness? I cook my steaks on high heat. I won't open the grill until I'm ready to turn the meat and then not again until done.

I never marinate a good steak, that's for the other meats.

underrated29
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I only ever turn my steaks once...I do not like a hard seared outer shell, I like it cooked so its slightly tough, but still able to move a bit...My test is if I drop a peppercorn on it, it should not bounce off. It should hit and stay on the steak

I also never cook on high. I heat the grill up to high, once on high I turn to med, and apply my steaks. 3-4 minutes depending on thickness. I only ever turn once.

I agree about putting on some salt and rub before hand. I also use worcester to keep them from drying out.

claymore
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I ordered a new Weber one touch Gold, 22.5 inch black grill today. I am happy, I know its not as nice as some other grills, but its exactly what I want, and it matches my WSM smoker.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/we/weber-one-touch-gold-barbecue.jpg

Super excited, I had to take my other grill to the dump because the leg rusted off. Havent grilled a burger in weeks.

BeefStew25
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Grill plates rule.

claymore
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Grill plates rule.

Which ones Beef, the stainless steel ones or the electric grill teflon plates?/???

BeefStew25
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Cast iron. Turf and I are pros on them. Put them on the grill over the gas, and you can flat iron anything. Plus it regulates the temperatures much better than a flame.

claymore
09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Cast iron. Turf and I are pros on them. Put them on the grill over the gas, and you can flat iron anything. Plus it regulates the temperatures much better than a flame.

Nice. I moved away from gas because of how easy it was to grill with charcoal. The heat is so much more even. I never thought of using cast iron on the gas grill though.

Thnikkaman
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I ordered a new Weber one touch Gold, 22.5 inch black grill today. I am happy, I know its not as nice as some other grills, but its exactly what I want, and it matches my WSM smoker.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/we/weber-one-touch-gold-barbecue.jpg

Super excited, I had to take my other grill to the dump because the leg rusted off. Havent grilled a burger in weeks.

Very nice. With a little disposable tin foil roast pan, you can turn that into a smoker easy.

BeefStew25
09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Charcoal is a carcinogen.

claymore
09-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice. With a little disposable tin foil roast pan, you can turn that into a smoker easy.

Yeah, Its pretty versatile. I like the hinged grill, and there are rotisserie accessories etc...

Magnificent Seven
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Charcoal is highly recommended.

Ribeye steaks are highly recommended, too. Here is my secret recipe for Ribeye steak.

1 cup of Soy Sauce
1 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
1 or 1/2 cup of finely chopped Green Onions
Fresh Ground Pepper

*Combine them well in the large bowl.

*Insert this Marinade into plastic ziploc bag or marinade tupperware.

*Make a bunch of holes into steaks with fork and insert steaks into either plastic zipock bag or tupperware. Put it your ref.

*Marinate Ribeye steaks for 2 days.

*Toss steaks on Charcoal BBQ and cook it slowly. Enjoy it!

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2010, 04:27 PM

You are talking about the internal temp of the brisket itself. I always take mine to 190-195, and then put it in a cooler for at least 2 hours. Usually I lightly foil the Brisket somewhere after 6-8 hours. At this point it's got all the smoke it's going to get into the meat, and the foil helps to keep it moist.

Letting it sit in the cooler afterwards is an extended rest that really improves the overall product imo.

If you don't cook it until at least 190, it will not finish breaking down the connective tissue and it will be tough.

If you monitor the Brisket's internal temperature while cooking, it will relatively quickly heat up to around 160 during the first few hours in a 200-220 degree smoker. And then it will "plateau" around 165-170 for several hours as the connective tissue is broken down. Finally, it will break out of the plateau once it gets above 180. But if you take it off at 170 it will not even be close to being done.

claymore
09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
You are talking about the internal temp of the brisket itself. I always take mine to 190-195, and then put it in a cooler for at least 2 hours. Usually I lightly foil the Brisket somewhere after 6-8 hours. At this point it's got all the smoke it's going to get into the meat, and the foil helps to keep it moist.

Letting it sit in the cooler afterwards is an extended rest that really improves the overall product imo.

If you don't cook it until at least 190, it will not finish breaking down the connective tissue and it will be tough.

If you monitor the Brisket's internal temperature while cooking, it will relatively quickly heat up to around 160 during the first few hours in a 200-220 degree smoker. And then it will "plateau" around 165-170 for several hours as the connective tissue is broken down. Finally, it will break out of the plateau once it gets above 180. But if you take it off at 170 it will not even be close to being done.What size of brisket do you use, and do you mop it at all during the smoke? 190-195 (Internal Temp) seems to dry the briskett out. In all fairness I need to do a thermomitor test, I dont trust mine to much.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2010, 10:48 PM
What size of brisket do you use, and do you mop it at all during the smoke? 190-195 (Internal Temp) seems to dry the briskett out. In all fairness I need to do a thermomitor test, I dont trust mine to much.

Well... .you know. ... I spent a grand on the Big Green Egg thing, so my food doesn't ever get dried out. :D

I don't ever mop or anything, but like I said I do foil it somewhere between 6-8 hours usually. I don't ever have trouble with it being dried out.

Brisket is bad about drying out pretty quickly after you slice it, but that's just the nature of the beast. I always just try to not slice it until the last minute. No matter how juicy it is, if you slice it and let it sit around for 20-30 minutes it will be dried out.

You could probably pull it off at 185, but I certainly wouldn't take it out at 170. That's just not going to have had enough time to break down all the tough connective tissue.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Also, to answer your question on size of brisket. I use a full 10-12 lb brisket.

I usually smoke the whole thing for somewhere around 12-15 hours based on size (around 1.25 hours per pound) at around 220 degrees. At that point, I cut the point apart from the flat, and leave the point on for another 4-5 hours to make some "burnt ends". Meanwhile, I let the flat sit wrapped in the cooler for a couple hours, and usually serve it sliced. When the point/burnt ends are finished, I usually pull it for pulled beef.

claymore
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Well... .you know. ... I spent a grand on the Big Green Egg thing, so my food doesn't ever get dried out. :D

I don't ever mop or anything, but like I said I do foil it somewhere between 6-8 hours usually. I don't ever have trouble with it being dried out.

Brisket is bad about drying out pretty quickly after you slice it, but that's just the nature of the beast. I always just try to not slice it until the last minute. No matter how juicy it is, if you slice it and let it sit around for 20-30 minutes it will be dried out.

You could probably pull it off at 185, but I certainly wouldn't take it out at 170. That's just not going to have had enough time to break down all the tough connective tissue.
I think 185 Is going to be my sweet spot. The only brisket Ive ever had was my own, so I dont really know what to compare it to. I do know it is now my favorite hunk of meat.

Also, to answer your question on size of brisket. I use a full 10-12 lb brisket.

I usually smoke the whole thing for somewhere around 12-15 hours based on size (around 1.25 hours per pound) at around 220 degrees. At that point, I cut the point apart from the flat, and leave the point on for another 4-5 hours to make some "burnt ends". Meanwhile, I let the flat sit wrapped in the cooler for a couple hours, and usually serve it sliced. When the point/burnt ends are finished, I usually pull it for pulled beef.

I will have to try foiling it. Great post, and do you go to a local butcher to find the 10-12 lb'rs? Costco and Publix here dont carry them that large. Im lucky to find a 7.5 lb slab.

I might need to call around, I think the size contributes to the juicyness...

Also, im still perfecting temp control, Ive had a couple large swings in my temp the last 2 times ive cooked. I think I have those things figured though.

claymore
09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Charcoal is highly recommended.

Ribeye steaks are highly recommended, too. Here is my secret recipe for Ribeye steak.

1 cup of Soy Sauce
1 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
1 or 1/2 cup of finely chopped Green Onions
Fresh Ground Pepper

*Combine them well in the large bowl.

*Insert this Marinade into plastic ziploc bag or marinade tupperware.

*Make a bunch of holes into steaks with fork and insert steaks into either plastic zipock bag or tupperware. Put it your ref.

*Marinate Ribeye steaks for 2 days.

*Toss steaks on Charcoal BBQ and cook it slowly. Enjoy it!

Real similar to a kabob marinade I use. I use dry mustard and garlic vs green onions. Definitley going to try this weekend. It might be the cherry popper on my grill!

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I think 185 Is going to be my sweet spot. The only brisket Ive ever had was my own, so I dont really know what to compare it to. I do know it is now my favorite hunk of meat.

I will have to try foiling it. Great post, and do you go to a local butcher to find the 10-12 lb'rs? Costco and Publix here dont carry them that large. Im lucky to find a 7.5 lb slab.

I might need to call around, I think the size contributes to the juicyness...

Also, im still perfecting temp control, Ive had a couple large swings in my temp the last 2 times ive cooked. I think I have those things figured though.

The 7.5 lb is probably just "the flat" portion of the brisket.

I don't have trouble finding them here, but certainly if you called a butcher they'd be able to get you one. I do think that doing the whole brisket helps it in terms of keeping it moist, but also lengthens the time of the cook, and increases the degree of difficulty because you have to keep a constant temp for a lot longer.

With your equipment, the smaller flat portion is probably best. And certainly it won't take 12 hours to cook it either.

Being in Florida, it might not be a popular cut for them to put out at the local grocery stores, so you might have to have a butcher get you one. But again, with your equipment, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. A full brisket is probably the most difficult thing to get right for anyone. Lots of trial and error.

Temperature control is key. The brisket needs to stay at that "plateau" temperature long enough for the tough connective tissues to be broken down. If you get your fire too hot and break it out of that plateau too soon, the result will usually be tough and dry.

Doing the smaller portion, the brisket won't stay in the plateau for that long, but I don't have much experience at all in doing just the "flat", so I can't tell you how long.

Edit: And I agree. .. .good brisket is about the best food ever on Earth.

claymore
09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
The 7.5 lb is probably just "the flat" portion of the brisket.

I don't have trouble finding them here, but certainly if you called a butcher they'd be able to get you one. I do think that doing the whole brisket helps it in terms of keeping it moist, but also lengthens the time of the cook, and increases the degree of difficulty because you have to keep a constant temp for a lot longer.

With your equipment, the smaller flat portion is probably best. And certainly it won't take 12 hours to cook it either.

Being in Florida, it might not be a popular cut for them to put out at the local grocery stores, so you might have to have a butcher get you one. But again, with your equipment, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. A full brisket is probably the most difficult thing to get right for anyone. Lots of trial and error.

Temperature control is key. The brisket needs to stay at that "plateau" temperature long enough for the tough connective tissues to be broken down. If you get your fire too hot and break it out of that plateau too soon, the result will usually be tough and dry.

Doing the smaller portion, the brisket won't stay in the plateau for that long, but I don't have much experience at all in doing just the "flat", so I can't tell you how long.

Edit: And I agree. .. .good brisket is about the best food ever on Earth.Not sure I like how you refer to "my equipment" NTL.

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Not sure I like how you refer to "my equipment" NTL.

Sorry Clay. . .but trying to smoke a brisket on something similar, is what made me realize the value of a BGE. :laugh: Perfect brisket, pork butt, and awesome steaks, burgers etc. all on the same "equipment".

claymore
09-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry Clay. . .but trying to smoke a brisket on something similar, is what made me realize the value of a BGE. :laugh: Perfect brisket, pork butt, and awesome steaks, burgers etc. all on the same "equipment".

Yeah Yeah... THe BGE. Some day...

BigDaddyBronco
09-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah Yeah... THe BGE. Some day...
I'm just going to steal NTL's.

slim
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
What is the deal with the BGE?

Seriously, I don't know what it is.

claymore
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm just going to steal NTL's.

Someone needs to get drunk and tip it over. Make the porcelan crack. NTL needs to be brought back down to the common folk level.

claymore
09-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Big green egg. Its a $1500 dollar bbq invented by primitive mexicans.

BigDaddyBronco
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM

It's some japanese inspired ceramic egg shaped smoker thingy.

BigDaddyBronco
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Someone needs to get drunk and tip it over. Make the porcelan crack. NTL needs to be brought back down to the common folk level.
When I was over there, he wouldn't let me get near it.

slim
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Big green egg. Its a $1500 dollar bbq invented by primitive mexicans.

$1,500 for grill?

:smh:

claymore
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
When I was over there, he wouldn't let me get near it.

Someone Needs to tweet RuthEYE. I think he loves it more than Her. :tsk:

claymore
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
$1,500 for grill?

:smh:

I know. makes me sick. With all the childrens that need stuff out there.

slim
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I know. makes me sick. With all the childrens that need stuff out there.

Screw the childern.

What about us?

claymore
09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Screw the childern.

What about us?

Yeah, Eff the kids. Im down for stealing NTL's. I will leave him my crappy weber and deuce on his lawn to teach him a lesson!

War the middle class!

BigDaddyBronco
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Someone Needs to tweet RuthEYE. I think he loves it more than Her. :tsk:

Tweet RuthEYE........:eyebrows:

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
It's not $1,500. It's more like $800 for the base model, $1,000 by the time you buy all the necessary accessories.

But I got mine discounted for around $650, $800 total with accessories.

www.biggreenegg.com

It's based on old Japanese "Kamado" ovens. It's 100% ceramic, made out of the same ceramic that NASA uses on the space shuttle. You can smoke something for 18-20 hours at 200 degrees, or sear a steak at 700 degrees all on the same piece of equipment. The versatility is what really sold me.

slim
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
It's not $1,500. It's more like $800 for the base model, $1,000 by the time you buy all the necessary accessories.

But I got mine discounted for around $650, $800 total with accessories.

www.biggreenegg.com

It's based on old Japanese "Kamado" ovens. It's 100% ceramic, made out of the same ceramic that NASA uses on the space shuttle. You can smoke something for 18-20 hours at 200 degrees, or sear a steak at 700 degrees all on the same piece of equipment. The versatility is what really sold me.

The Japanese can make a good car, but I am betting they know dick about good BBQ!

BeefStew25
09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I am doing shrimp tonight.

shank
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I am doing shrimp tonight.

i've never met shrimp. is he nice?

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
The Japanese can make a good car, but I am betting they know dick about good BBQ!

Well, that's why this American company appropriated the technology and now mass produces it over here, so that we can put it to good use.

What got them started was a huge number of WWII Pacific theater vets brought over Kamado ovens back with them after the war, but unfortunately, they would eventually crack and deteriorate. Now BGE makes them with this great NASA ceramic, and it has a lifetime guarantee.

If only you were nearer, I'd smoke a butt for you to sample.

slim
09-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Well, that's why this American company appropriated the technology and now mass produces it over here, so that we can put it to good use.

What got them started was a huge number of WWII Pacific theater vets brought over Kamado ovens back with them after the war, but unfortunately, they would eventually crack and deteriorate. Now BGE makes them with this great NASA ceramic, and it has a lifetime guarantee.

If only you were nearer, I'd smoke a butt for you to sample.

:laugh:

I have always wanted to learn how to smoke. Of course I have been around grills most of my life, but never a smoker. I am going to have to look into this BGE.

FanInAZ
07-24-2018, 09:15 PM
I think this is the best thread for this video :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzdpBcVee4&list=PL5n1z145EPUM9E0nB1lMt2Ws3UZAk3yhp&index=52

Nomad
08-25-2018, 05:31 PM
I bbq’d some steaks over Kingsford Applewood Charcoal and this rub. I highly recommend both. Some of the best steaks I’ve had.

NightTrainLayne
08-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Man, this thread brings back some good memories.

I've got a brisket going since midnight last night right now. It's at 174 degrees internal temp right now.

I miss Clay. . . tried to text him a month or two ago, but he never answered.

SR
07-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Smoked some ribs on the Traeger yesterday. They came out AWESOME. Here's what I did:

Two racks of baby backs.

Dry rubbed with The Salt Lick (a BBQ joint in Austin) rub.

Set the Traeger to 180 and smoked for five hours.

Remove the ribs and increased heat to 225. Placed the ribs in a deep metal pan then poured two bottles of Redd's Apple Ale in to the pan and rubbed the top of the ribs with brown sugar. Covered the pan with foil and put back on the grill for four more hours.

Removed the pan from the grill and increased heat to 300. Once the heat got to 300 I placed the ribs back on for an additional hour and basted with Sweet Baby Ray's a couple times.

I had a hard time getting the ribs back on the grill after removing them from the pan because the bones started falling out. I probably could've taken them off for good at that point but I wanted that bark on the top from the BBQ sauce.

Hawgdriver
07-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Smoked some ribs on the Traeger yesterday. They came out AWESOME. Here's what I did:

Two racks of baby backs.

Dry rubbed with The Salt Lick (a BBQ joint in Austin) rub.

Set the Traeger to 180 and smoked for five hours.

Remove the ribs and increased heat to 225. Placed the ribs in a deep metal pan then poured two bottles of Redd's Apple Ale in to the pan and rubbed the top of the ribs with brown sugar. Covered the pan with foil and put back on the grill for four more hours.

Removed the pan from the grill and increased heat to 300. Once the heat got to 300 I placed the ribs back on for an additional hour and basted with Sweet Baby Ray's a couple times.

I had a hard time getting the ribs back on the grill after removing them from the pan because the bones started falling out. I probably could've taken them off for good at that point but I wanted that bark on the top from the BBQ sauce.

This reads a lot differently if you imagine someone cooking a human ….

/nut

SR
07-02-2019, 09:39 AM
This reads a lot differently if you imagine someone cooking a human ….

/nut

Good point.

Davii
07-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Pulled pork on the Traeger yesterday. Came out great!

NightTrainLayne
07-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Pulled pork on the Traeger yesterday. Came out great!

Brisket on the BGE yesterday. One of my best ever. And got it done in about 6.5 hours!

SR
07-05-2019, 02:45 PM
I'm going to do a brisket in a few weeks. Got some other things I wanna do before that though. I found a really good sounding venison backstrap Traeger recipe with a bourbon raspberry reduction sauce that I want to try. Also want to do some salmon. The HEB by me had whole yellow fin tuna in store last weekend that they were cutting filets off of on the spot and I am regretting not getting some.

SR
07-08-2019, 04:28 PM
I ended up doing ribeye yesterday. I poached the "recipe" from the Traeger website, but they came out fantastic.

Dry rub and rest for 30 minutes.

180 for an hour.

450 for six minutes per side.

Made a bourbon butter sauce to put on top of the steak and sautéed some mushrooms. All came out really good.

Nomad
07-17-2019, 10:47 AM
I'm wanting to purchase a Traeger, but a couple questions for you guys. I read owner's biggest cons are 'searing' their steaks, and the auger continuously getting clogged even with routine maintenance/cleaning. So, have you guys had any issues?

SR
07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
I'm wanting to purchase a Traeger, but a couple questions for you guys. I read owner's biggest cons are 'searing' their steaks, and the auger continuously getting clogged even with routine maintenance/cleaning. So, have you guys had any issues?

What is the con with searing the steaks exactly? That they can't do it?

My auger clogged once after not using the grill for a while. I attributed it to living in a humid climate and the pellets absorbing some of the moisture and swelling. I could be wrong. But I cleared it with a screw driver and that was done. I vacuum out the saw dust every other grill or so and use a non-scratch Scotch-Brite pad before I cook to clean the temperature probe off. It's a little more high maintenance than your run of the mill gas grill, but the results are muy incredible.

Nomad
07-18-2019, 07:42 AM
What is the con with searing the steaks exactly? That they can't do it?

My auger clogged once after not using the grill for a while. I attributed it to living in a humid climate and the pellets absorbing some of the moisture and swelling. I could be wrong. But I cleared it with a screw driver and that was done. I vacuum out the saw dust every other grill or so and use a non-scratch Scotch-Brite pad before I cook to clean the temperature probe off. It's a little more high maintenance than your run of the mill gas grill, but the results are muy incredible.

Temp doesn't get hot enough.

NightTrainLayne
07-18-2019, 10:06 AM

If you want to sear a steak, AND have the ability to do a 20+ hour low and slow smoke, then a Big Green Egg is the way to go!

Sear your steak at 700+.

I've never used a Traeger, but I think that's the biggest con on the "grilling" side. Not enough heat generation to really sear stuff, but great at smoking.

Davii
07-18-2019, 10:17 AM
I got a good sear on my steaks with the Traeger using their helpful searing tips:

https://www.traegergrills.com/smokenomics/wood-pellet-searing

Poet
07-18-2019, 10:24 AM
I go to a steak house.

Davii
07-18-2019, 10:25 AM
I go to a steak house.

You also eat at McDonald's. Soooo......

SR
07-18-2019, 02:23 PM

It gets plenty hot. I'm not a huge searing fan, but I think I'm in the minority there. Doing it the way I've been doing it with the hour smoke at 180 then 6-8 minutes on high gets the steaks perfect. Mine gets up to around 550 or so on high, but it's also hotter than two rats in a wool sock here so that helps.

Nomad
07-18-2019, 02:39 PM
It gets plenty hot. I'm not a huge searing fan, but I think I'm in the minority there. Doing it the way I've been doing it with the hour smoke at 180 then 6-8 minutes on high gets the steaks perfect. Mine gets up to around 550 or so on high, but it's also hotter than two rats in a wool sock here so that helps.

My uncle lets his steaks sit out a couple hours, then sears them in cast iron skillet with butter, then throws them on the bbq pit. Best I've ever tasted. MY FIL wants me to get a Traeger....go figure. I told him he should go buy a Traeger, so I could use it. :D I'll probably get one this weekend.

I'm going order an Old Smokey for quick bbq's with charcoal.

SR
07-18-2019, 02:45 PM
I know a couple of guys here that use a Pit Boss pellet smoker as well and love it.

Nomad
07-18-2019, 02:50 PM
I know a couple of guys here that use a Pit Boss pellet smoker as well and love it.

Every place I've been to has the Traeger brand. I read online some folks endorsing a pellet grill from Cabelas/Bass Pro (I'll have to google it again). I'm not sure if this area has either one.

SR
07-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Every place I've been to has the Traeger brand. I read online some folks endorsing a pellet grill from Cabelas/Bass Pro (I'll have to google it again). I'm not sure if this area has either one.

Traeger is regarded as one of the best. My buddy uses a Pitts And Spitts but that's a little pricey for me. He's also a huge, big time BBQ master type. I've really loved what my Traeger puts out, but some of the other brands have more features, do the same thing, and cost less. The technology behind the smoker isn't really that ground-breaking. With Traeger, you're paying for the name and the resources that come along with it IMO. You could do the same thing on a $300 store-brand Costco pellet smoker.

Hawgdriver
07-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Traeger is regarded as one of the best. My buddy uses a Pitts And Spitts but that's a little pricey for me. He's also a huge, big time BBQ master type. I've really loved what my Traeger puts out, but some of the other brands have more features, do the same thing, and cost less. The technology behind the smoker isn't really that ground-breaking. With Traeger, you're paying for the name and the resources that come along with it IMO. You could do the same thing on a $300 store-brand Costco pellet smoker.

That's great that it puts out.

Davii
07-19-2019, 04:49 PM

The 22 series Traeger is on sale at exchanges right now under 400$.

Poet
07-19-2019, 09:00 PM
You also eat at McDonald's. Soooo......

Many people of culinary talent enjoy fast food, including McDonald's, sir.

You are a ruffian!

Davii
07-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Many people of culinary talent enjoy fast food, including McDonald's, sir.

You are a ruffian!

Doesn't make their food any better but it does cast doubt on their "culinary talent".

Unless said talent is eating garbage.

Poet
07-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Doesn't make their food any better but it does cast doubt on their "culinary talent".

Unless said talent is eating garbage.

You're not nice to me anymore, and it makes me sad.

Goodbye, Davii.

Davii
07-19-2019, 10:07 PM
You're not nice to me anymore, and it makes me sad.

Goodbye, Davii.

I'm extremely nice to you. I'm telling you I want you to live longer!

tomjonesrocks
07-21-2019, 12:19 AM
If you want to sear a steak, AND have the ability to do a 20+ hour low and slow smoke, then a Big Green Egg is the way to go!

Sear your steak at 700+.

I've never used a Traeger, but I think that's the biggest con on the "grilling" side. Not enough heat generation to really sear stuff, but great at smoking.

I've been thrilled with my Kamado Joe. There's a BBQ place that sells every type of wood imaginable in actual logs near me and I cut them up into sticks for the Kamado along with lump charcoal. Not really a fan of the small chunks/pellets in a cooker like this.

Having the freedom to add more wood easily in a purpose-designed smoker would be nice - but I've done 15-hour brisket multiple times with fantastic results.

Kamado's doing some innovative things with their vents and accessories. Can't go wrong with an Egg or a Kamado Joe IMO - and aside from dealing with replacing an occasional metal element here and there unsure why it wouldn't last a lifetime.

SR
07-22-2019, 09:51 AM
The 22 series Traeger is on sale at exchanges right now under 400$.

That's what I have now. I also don't have access to the Exchanges anymore.

Davii
07-22-2019, 10:26 AM
That's what I have now. I also don't have access to the Exchanges anymore.

That's what I bought as well. You have access online!

SR
07-22-2019, 02:00 PM
That's what I bought as well. You have access online!

I do?

Nomad
07-22-2019, 04:05 PM
I do?
https://dod.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1049558/dod-opens-online-exchange-shopping-to-veterans/

Davii
07-22-2019, 04:11 PM
I do?

Yes. Go verify your service on MyNavyExchange.com and you can shop the exchange online all you want

SR
07-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Yes. Go verify your service on MyNavyExchange.com and you can shop the exchange online all you want

I'd have to do it through AAFES no? Or would I be able to use Navy Exchange also?

SR
07-23-2019, 09:26 AM
https://dod.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1049558/dod-opens-online-exchange-shopping-to-veterans/

Well shoot. Thanks Nomad. You're more useful than Davii.

Davii
07-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Well shoot. Thanks Nomad. You're more useful than Davii.

Duh.

SR
07-25-2019, 08:17 AM
I'm going to do some wagyu beef back ribs this weekend. Looking forward to that!

SR
07-29-2019, 10:01 AM
The ribs came out ok. It was really windy here yesterday and a storm rolled through about half way through the eight hour smoke, so my grill was not holding a consistent temperature to save it's life. Also had the "Traeger-ism" happen where the hot rod isn't burning and the auger keeps feeding pellets. The temperature was sitting at 116 at one point, so I had to pull the meat off and vacuum out all of the pellets and saw dust then restart everything. That happened to me a few weeks back when I was cooking baby backs as well. It really pisses me off. The Pit Boss pellet smokers don't seem to have that issue.

Davii
07-29-2019, 04:14 PM
The ribs came out ok. It was really windy here yesterday and a storm rolled through about half way through the eight hour smoke, so my grill was not holding a consistent temperature to save it's life. Also had the "Traeger-ism" happen where the hot rod isn't burning and the auger keeps feeding pellets. The temperature was sitting at 116 at one point, so I had to pull the meat off and vacuum out all of the pellets and saw dust then restart everything. That happened to me a few weeks back when I was cooking baby backs as well. It really pisses me off. The Pit Boss pellet smokers don't seem to have that issue.

I haven't seen this yet.

SR
07-30-2019, 08:31 AM
I haven't seen this yet.

It's a known issue with Traegers but it only seems to happen at 225 from what I found in my brief search online. While I was cleaning mine out I found a thread on Reddit about it.

Davii
07-30-2019, 08:34 AM
It's a known issue with Traegers but it only seems to happen at 225 from what I found in my brief search online. While I was cleaning mine out I found a thread on Reddit about it.

Interesting. I, like a dumbass, ran mine out of pellets in theb middle of a smoke. Big dummy.

SR
07-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Interesting. I, like a dumbass, ran mine out of pellets in theb middle of a smoke. Big dummy.

Whoops! I've done that as well, so now I make it a priority to keep my hopper topped off. Surprisngly enough, I smoked those beef ribs for eight hours Sunday and didn't even use more than about a quarter of the pellets in the hopper.

Poet
08-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Do you guys grill Salmon and Shrimp?

PatriotsGuy
08-06-2019, 01:49 PM

I grill salmon and I think Nomad has posted pics of him grilling salmon, I don't eat a lot of shrimp though.

BeefStew25
08-06-2019, 02:16 PM
I grill salmon and I think Nomad has posted pics of him grilling salmon, I don't eat a lot of shrimp though.

Pats fan
Elitist
Hates shrimp

You’re worse than Charles Manson

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2019, 02:33 PM

I like to grill salmon steaks, or plank a nice salmon filet on a cedar or alderwood plank.

BroncoJoe
08-06-2019, 02:37 PM
I don't care for seafood. I'll eat it, but prefer red or white meat. I can eat lobster and crab legs, but anything else has basically zero appeal to me. I despise shrimp and most fish.

:couch:

PatriotsGuy
08-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Pats fan
Elitist
Hates shrimp

You’re worse than Charles Manson

Ok Ghengis Khan, I like shrimp just don't grill it. I love shrimp cocktail, my wife eats nothing but clams so it's tough in my house.

Poet
08-07-2019, 12:12 PM
I want a clam-eating wife.

PatriotsGuy
08-07-2019, 12:28 PM
I want a clam-eating wife.

Ahem, clams are the only seafood she eats.