PDA

View Full Version : What affect injury on contract?

blamkin86
09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi folks,

Can someone tell me what happens to a player, his "salary," and status on the team after they're injured?

I guess I need to know two general conditions: Player like Dumervil who just got a great contract (yay!) but is out for the year... Then say someone who plays a few games but then gets hurt mid season and just misses a game or two.

Thanks in advance - mods feel free to move if I put this in the wrong place.

CrazyHorse
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_a_player_has_a_multi_year_contract_in_the_NFL_a nd_sustains_an_injury_that_will_keep_him_from_play ing_longer_than_1_year_must_a_team_pay_him_until_h e_has_recovered_even_if_they_want_to_release_him

"Section 2. Benefit: A player qualifying under Section 1 above will receive an amount equal to 50% of his contract salary for the season following the season of injury, up to a maximum payment of $275,000, if he is released pursuant to Section 1(c) above in the 2006-08 League Years unless he has individually negotiated more injury protection or a larger guaranteed salary into his contract. This amount shall be increased to $300,000 in the 2009 League Year and, if they are Uncapped Years, in the 2010-11 League Years; to $325,000 in the 2010-11 League Years, if they are Capped Years; and to $350,000 in the 2012 League Year. A player will receive no amount of any contract covering any season subsequent to the season following the season of injury, except if he has individually negotiated injury protection into that contract. The benefit will be paid to the player in equal weekly installments commencing no later than the date of the first regular season game, which benefit payments will cease if the player signs a contract for that season with another Club. A player will not be entitled to such benefit more than once during his playing career in the NFL, and such benefit shall be reduced by any salary guaranteed to the player for the season following the season of injury."

I'll do my best to answer this question. I'm no expert.
It looks like they receive either 50% of their salary up to the maximum stated amount. It also depends how the contract is written. If it is guaranteed or a signing bonus then they will automatically receive it.