PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about this years team?

broncofaninfla
09-06-2010, 02:43 PM
How do you feel about this years team? Does Xanders and Mcd have this team ready to compete after two years? Are we a better team than we were at the end of Shanny's tenor? Are we headed in the right direction?
Discuss..........

Nomad
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Honestly I'll have to give them a game or two. And with the Jags/Seahawks not really powerhouses, if the BRONCOS struggle against them then I'll have a good notion we are in for a long year unless the BRONCOS have changed and struggle out the gate and get better as the year progresses!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
At this time, there is no way that I can state how I feel about this year's team - i.e. - there was not one preseason game where, who we assume will be the starting offensive and defensive units, were together. That would have been the only way I would have been able to have any idea at all.

honz
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't know that we are that much better this year than we were when Shanny left as far as pure talent goes, but I definitely think we have a better and more cohesive team...in other words McD has brainwashed me. I think the key to how good this team can be this year is how well our young players are able to perform this year. We have a lot of young players at key positions: Moreno, Thomas, Decker, Beadles, Walton, and even Royal needs to prove himself this year.

Another big key to how good this team can be in the future is obviously how Tebow turns out. I feel comfortable with Orton as our starting QB, but he will never be an elite QB. He is an average to above average starter at the position IMO, but as we all know this is a passing league and elite QB's are essential to being an annual playoff team.

In short, I am excited about the direction this team is heading, but my expectations are tempered this year. I'm hoping for 10 wins, which may or may not be good enough for a playoff berth.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree with the two posts above. I don't think our offense is nearly as strong as it was in 'O8, but our defense is probably better. Like Nomad said, since Jax and Seattle aren't powerhouses, that may tell us a lot. If we struggle with them, then we know where we basically stand as far as 'strength.' Are we headed in the right direction? :whoknows: at this point.

GGMoogly
09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I may be a blind ignorant optimist, but I like this team...not elite, but certainly competitive. Despite the loss of BM, I believe our offense will be improved (due to KO's improvement, if nothing else), but our D will be suspect at times. Still, I say 11-5 (9-7 if I HAVE to be realistic)

bcbronc
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Imo too many questions in the trenches, on both sides of the ball, to have any idea how the season is going to go. I do like the direction we are going though, but think we might be one or two seasons away from being more than a one and done playoff team (at best).
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoWave
09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I think we will be better than last season. Orton is way more comfortable in the system and should have an even better year than he had last year. Tebow will also hopefully provide a nice little spark in a few packages. The RB's seem to all be about healthy so we should be fine there as well. At WR, I think it will be advantageous to have several capable guys that we can spread it around to as opposed to having one guy who gets all the targets (see: 2009 New Orleans Saints). Also, my bold prediction for this season is that Matthew Willis will be this year's Miles Austin. On the o-line it will hinge on how the 2 rookies play but if they are at least serviceable we should be fine there as well.

On D our secondary will be rock solid and our d-line will be a bit better than last year's IMO. The big question mark is obviously OLB but I think Ayers will have a big season and hopefully Moss can just be serviceable.

Our special teams seems to be much improved too with the kick coverage and a couple of explosive young returners in Perrish, Syd'Quan and Cassius. Kicker and punter are both solid as well.

So in sum, assuming we are hopefully over the injury bug, I expect more wins than last season. I think a 10-6 type season is well within reach for this team. I will consider this season a disappointment if we don't make the playoffs or at the very least have a winning record.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I have mixed emotions about this year's team. I think we have some talent, but a lot of the talent we have is nicked up or coming back from injury. There are a ton of ???s and "ifs" this year - just as many as last year.

Our WR corps is revamped. Who knows how these guys will turn out. I'd love to see Eddie Royal become our Wes Welker and Bey Bey become our Randy Moss, but neither has shown it yet. Gaffney and Lloyd are who they are. Neither is a world beater or a guy that defenses really have to game plan for. Decker has potential to fill in as that big, over-the-middle type guy that is normally reserved for TEs but we don't really have pass-catching, spread the defense type TEs so Decker can fill that role.

Our O-line still isn't settled. Two new rookie starters combined with three returning starters that were in and out all offseason with injury means they haven't exactly had time to work together. If there's one unit that has to be on the same page EVERY TIME, it's the O-line. I think they have more ability and a higher ceiling than last year's group, but they will have their growing pains especially against blitz-heavy defenses.

Our RBs are hit or miss. None of them are truly 100% healthy (other than maybe Lance Ball) and they have a lot of responsibility making this offense successful. I felt a lot better when we had Lunchpail White back there pounding guys because I though he , Moreno, and Buck really complimented each other well. We finally had a short yardage/redzone running game again. Now we're back to wondering if we can run on 3rd and short successfully.

QB is probably the most solid position on the offense, but Orton still has to prove he can make the right reads and throws when it counts. Going back and re-watching the Pittsburgh game, he really didn't look as good as he had in the two previous games and his INT was just a bad one - poor read, late throw. Most importantly, he has to stay healthy this year. Part of that is on the O-line, part of that is on him.

Our LB corps has a lot of growing up to do. Moss and Ayers have big shoes to fill in the pass rush and in run support. DJ and Haggan still showed a propensity to be out of position on running plays giving up big chunks of yardage in the preseason. I'm sure they'll get better, but we can't wait too long to do so. MJD week one...

Our D-line looks better on paper, but I still haven't seen the "push" from them that I expected. They don't get blown off the ball like they did last year, but they do tend to get "stood up" at the point of attack. The biggest thing is that Wink has a big responsibility making sure these guys (LBs included) maintain gap control. We give up so many backside runs because our defenders (both DL and LBs) don't have enough gap discipline. They run and try to make plays, but often overrun the play and the RB just cuts back into the secondary.

The Secondary looks improved based on the youth coming in. Our backups are better this year than they were last year so if the Secondary can stay healthy, I think we're in good shape there.

Finally, Our STs looks to be MUCH improved, which is a good thing. Perrish, Syd'Quan, and Vaughan are return machines. Colquitt looks good so far, too (anyone could've done better than Berger's performance last year).

With the steps forward we've taken combined with the steps back, I still think we're an 8-8 team this year. A lot of our tougher games are at home, but our home record wasn't exactly stellar last year, either. The old mile high magic has lost some of its luster of late. Hopefully we can get some of it back. We really need to be that team that goes undefeated at home again. Going .500 at home is just not conducive to making the playoffs.

Most of all, we need to WIN the games we're SUPPOSED TO WIN. You can't lose to teams like Washington, Jokeland, and KC (especially when they are bad teams) and expect to make the playoffs.

CrazyHorse
09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
At best 12-4. I don't see us beating Baltimore, New York, Indianapolis, or sweeping San Diego.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 03:22 PM
At best 12-4. I don't see us beating Baltimore, New York, Indianapolis, or sweeping San Diego.

Of all of those games, I think we can beat NY. I think our secondary will have its way with "Dirty" Sanchez and I don't think their running game will be nearly the machine it was last year with Thomas Jones being spelled by Shonn Greene. Greene is now the starter and his backups are LT (whatever) and Joe McKnight. I'm just not scared of their running game. KC and Oakland's are probably better.

honz
09-06-2010, 03:25 PM
NYJ are the most overrated team I've ever seen. They were 8-8 last year, same as the Broncos and only made the playoffs because we collapsed and Indy let 'em off the hook. The only reason they are so hyped is because they signed a bunch of washed up superstars and have a coach with a big mouth...plus they were on Hard Knocks.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 03:26 PM
NYJ are the most overrated team I've ever seen. They were 8-8 last year, same as the Broncos and only made the playoffs because we collapsed and Indy let 'em off the hook. The only reason they are so hyped is because they signed a bunch of washed up superstars and have a coach with a big mouth...plus they were on Hard Knocks.

I thought they were 9-7? There's no way they would've made the playoffs at 8-8 because Houston and Pittsburgh were both 9-7 and didn't get in...

They were 7-7 when they got their back to back gift games from Indy and Cincy I think..

honz
09-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I thought they were 9-7? There's no way they would've made the playoffs at 8-8 because Houston and Pittsburgh were both 9-7 and didn't get in...

They were 7-7 when they got their back to back gift games from Indy and Cincy I think..
You are probably right, but the point still stands. I forgot about the Cincy game. I'll never forget the "Gift of Painter" though.

shank
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
good

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm concerned, yet optimistic about this team. I think our offense will go as far as our young (and injured) offensive line takes them. If they can give Orton some time and our RB's some holes, our offense will be good. Having LenDale get hurt makes our goal line running very suspect again. Moreno better step it up, we need him to be a monster.

On defense it lies with how our Dline clogs up the blockers to let DJ and Hagan make plays and how our patchwork pass rush can handle the loss of Doom. Hopefully the added size on the front 7 will make them be able to handle a 16 game season and not fall apart over the last 8 games.

Our special teams is starting to look pretty darn good. If Cox and Thompson can get some decent returns this year we should be lights out. Prater and Colquitt both look like top 5 talents.

So things need to fall in place and the young guys need to play well for us to have a chance at the playoffs. Injuries on the lines are also key as there is a pretty big fall off in talent after the 1st stringers.

My optimistic hope is that we end up 9-7. My pessimistic fears have us at 6-10.

Either way all watch all the game sand root for these guys to win the division.

Magnificent Seven
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm confident with Broncos' offense. I would feel better if they win over Jaguars and Seahawks with high score. Broncos will have their big test against the Colts and I am going to depend on defense for that game against the Colts.

However, I believe in Jabar Gaffney and he would be Orton's favorite target. Eddie Royal would be a dark horse on the other side.

red98
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
This team is to banged up for me to see more than 5 or 6 wins right now.

I hope they get healthy fast and Ayers can replace some of what we lost with Doom. Like others have said I don't think we'll get a good feel for this team until at least week 3.

As usual I'll be watching every game hoping for the best.

broncophan
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I feel better about this team going into this season....than I did going into last season......did not think we would win that many games last season.....however....I will be surprised if we win more than 8 games...

Tned
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't have a good feel for how good or bad this team is. There are too many questions.

In terms of better or worse than at the end of the Shanny era, here are my thoughts:

I think the defense is clearly better. I think the team had a chance to be a dominant (top 10) defense with Dumervil, but without him it isn't going to be as good. Losing his sacks, and with DJ as the returning sack leader, the front seven went from looking good to having a lot of questions. Still, the defense is clearly better than at the end of the Shanny era, the only question is how good they will be.

On offense, the team is definitely worse than at the end of the Shanahan era. How much worse? Last year, significantly, this year, hopefully not. Orton 'appears' to be better than last year, and I expect Moreno to play better in year two, and a healthy Buckhalter showed that he can be an explosive runner.

At WR, we look to be solid. Clearly a step down from Marshall, Royal and Stokely, but not horrible by any means. It looks like Gaffney, Lloyd and Royal will be at least solid, and possibly better than that. Once Decker and Thomas are ready to team with Royal and that trio has the 'potential' to be a force for years to come.

The offensive line has a lot of question marks. The three vets having various nagging to serious injuries, and they are mated with a rookie and a guy that in two years didn't play in a game. Lots of questions on the line. They 'could' be solid, but they could also struggle all year.

QB introduces more question marks. Clearly a decrease in talent from the Shanahan era. In theory, the McDaniels scheme is supposed to take a precision QB like Orton and allow him to out perform more talented QBs. Last year that wasn't the case. Orton has to be able to complete some deep passes to keep the defense honest and from crowding the LOS.

Then of course there is Tebow, which goes to the future, like Decker and Thomas. In theory, if Tebow is capable of being the starter, there is a pretty exciting group of young guys on offense with the young O-line, Thomas, Decker and Royal at WR, Tebow at QB, and Moreno at RB. The only place we don't have a young guy with lots of potential is at TE.

Lonestar
09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Without reading anything in the thread as not to pollute my thoughts with anyone elses whether they be pro or con here goes.

I think overall that most of the major holes have been filled with players that are TEAM oriented perhaps less in individual talent but everyone is TEAM goal oriented.

While many feel that is a mistake IMHO this is a TEAM sport.

Once we got rid of the head cases and problem kids others will step up and fill MOST of the holes their departures caused.

I think we will have a good TEAM this yar ONCE they oline gets some playing time together. As the OLINE teamwork is cirtical it is a place that one has to trust and know what the guy next to him will do in every situation so it is an automatic reaction opposes to having to think about what they do. Playing in the NFL does not allow players to think it has to be automatic. Spilt seconds count at this level. Where in college they cab get away with indecisive more oftn.

I think we ar atleats one deep with quality players in all spots. If we do not have major injuries anywhere we should have a winning to PLayoff season.

Althought both KC and OAK upgraded players this year while SAN seems to have stayed pat or declined a tad. More thoughts when I get home. Doing this at stop lights looses something in concentration.

Northman
09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Too early to say. Im sure after about 4-5 games we will get a pretty good picture of where we stand. Injury excuses are just that, excuses. Shanny dealt with them and so do a crapload of other coaches in this league. At the end of the day your paid to win games and Bowlen wants this team competing in the playoffs and for a championship again so the leash is short. McD has made some good moves along with some bad ones but its his vision so he will either sink or swim with it.

Lonestar
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
With Orton and most of the players having a full year learning the schemes they all seem to have it down where they are not "thinking" but just reacting in auto to what is being done.

Do I feel we are more talent laden today than we have been since most of the HOF players retired.

Certainly the LOS players are bigger stronger, smarter than we have seen as a unit in the last 10 years IMO.

The LB core is not what I would like to see YET but with the changes and injuries there who knows what will come out of it. I'd like to see a dominant safety ala atwater,Lynch, or smith to be brought in to fill the upcoming retirements. I want TEs WR's afraid to come over the middle.

Not sure what we have in moreno but I suspect a special runner not that this scheme is going to be run first.

honz
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I just hope we win our first game so the board doesn't go into complete meltdown mode early.

Jaws
09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I feel nervously excited and ready for anything.

I also feel a trip to the store to stock up on whisky is a must!

Nomad
09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I feel nervously excited and ready for anything.

I also feel a trip to the store to stop up on whisky is a must!

Be disciplined and use in moderation because your nerves may need more than usual!!:D

FanInAZ
09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't see that we made any significant strides in our starting line up, especially in our running game. I'm afraid that we may only have 6-7 wins this year.

ogplife
09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I feel that our pass offense will be dominant, run offense is a question mark. Our defense is a question because our line and pass rush are question marks. No matter how good our secondary is they will look bad if they are asked to cover forever and turnovers are created by pressuring the quaterback. I think we end up somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. I would be ecstatic with 9-7 because psychologically the team would have improved from last year and year three would mean we would be thinking big.

rcsodak
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Lionel Dotson: Combine notes...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lionel-dotson?id=1702 Positives: Naturally large man with room for additional muscle mass. ... Best asset might be his general quickness for a man this size. ... Good initial quickness and lateral quickness in pursuit. ... Showed improved closing burst as a senior to make the play when opportunities were available. ... Flashes good strength at the point of attack to stack and shed. ... Flashes good use of hands. ... Solid wrap-up tackler. ... Fits the requirements teams using the 3-4 are looking for as an end, despite playing the 4-3 tackle position at Arizona. ... Strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game helped his stock. Negatives: Though it improved as a senior, Dotson still struggles with play-to-play consistency. ... Only adequate overall use of hands - especially during his pass rush. ... Marginal football instincts. ... Lacks the size and strength to play inside in every NFL scheme - at his best when he can attack gaps. ... Can't consistently hold up against double-teams.

Perhaps due to Arizona's struggles throughout his career, Dotson hasn't received a great deal of national attention despite flashing legitimate athleticism and strength. As a senior, he took matters into his own hands, enjoying a breakout campaign that included 50 tackles and 6.5 sacks to earn Second Team Pac-10 honors. Dotson's consistency remains a question, but he flashes the quickness, size, strength and experience to ultimately compete for a starting position at tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4.

Guess we'll see if he can become consistently good.... 2yrs, 4 games, 3tackles. LOTS of room for improvement.

Lonestar
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't see that we made any significant strides in our starting line up, especially in our running game. I'm afraid that we may only have 6-7 wins this year.

I think we have made a HUGE improvement in the running game getting someone that can block or open a hole inside the red zone. In the past we kicked a lot of FG;s because we flat did not have the beef to move the DL inside the 5.

Having an offense that could in the past run at will between the 20's did not get us to the playoffs nor when we did get there in 05 allow us to win it.

so it was time to change the mentality and get some beef on the oline to make those blocks and open holes. we are getting there our interior oline OG and centers will average about 25 pound more than even last year not counting what it was pre Kuper.

SO is it where it needs to be not sure but it can't be any worse. we have big and nasty on the oline something e have not had for along time.

As far as RB IF the injuries do not re-acure then Moreno should be a semi stud and Bucky well he has a lot of potential as long as we do not wear him down.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
who'd we get that can open holes?

guitarj
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
This years team is much of a mystery, starting with both lines. We are trying to replace the production of 2 probowl players plus a 3rd is coming back from a recent knee injury.

This team is very young also. There is a lot of talent there, but much of it is unproven talent at this time. I see a very inconsistant year. Hopefully we will see a lot of explosive plays with all the young talent.

If the injury bug coninues, we are in for a long season. On a positive note, I like the direction this team is headed for the future and this years draft class has the potential to become a great one.

rcsodak
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
who'd we get that can open holes?

Walton>Weigmann/Hamilton
Beadles>Hochstein/Hamilton
Kuper>Hochstein/Hamilton
Stanley>Hochstein/Hamilton
Batiste>Hochstein/Hamilton

Skinny
09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Nervous, anxious, cautious all rolled into one.

Tned
09-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Walton>Weigmann/Hamilton
Kuper>Hochstein/Hamilton

While I won't disagree with Kuper, how can you know the other four are > when we have yet to see them in a regular season game and Beadles couldn't even beat out Stanley who in two years hadn't even played in a game? :confused:

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Walton>Weigmann/Hamilton
Kuper>Hochstein/Hamilton

How many positions did Hoch and Hamilton play?

Kuper was already here, so we didn't bring him in.

Until the rest prove something, we haven't shown to have brought anyone in that can open a hole.

But I was excited about the draft of Walton.

Grover
09-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I am extremely excited about our cornerbacks and receivers. There is a lot of talent and the talent runs two and three deep at the positions. They're playmakers. Look for interceptions from the DBs and some dynamic catches and runs from the wide outs.

For the first time in years, I'm excited about our special teams. It seems like the blocking is getting better, and the returns by Cox, Thompson and Vaughn have been electrifying. If Prater and Colquit can continue with the good start they've gotten, our special teams units will be fun to watch.

I'm concerned about the health of our offensive and defensive lines. I'm concerned that our new NT doesn't have much left in the tank after thirteen years in the NFL. I'm hoping that both the lines find another gear when the season starts. I want to see defensive penetration and the offensive line opening holes for the running backs. It's concerning that it hasn't really happened so far.

What I'm really happy about is that there are a bunch of great guys to root for that are wearing orange and blue. I'm tired of working up the energy to root for questionable characters like Travis Henry or David Kircus.

I'm excited to see how this team will grow and play. I hope we get productive seasons from Buckhalter and Moreno. My prediction is that the defense will go into the "attack attack attack" mode that we've been hearing about.

atwater27
09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
QB.... Better than last year. Orton will show us his full potential this year, good or bad.
RB.... If Knowshawn was healthy, i would feel much better about the O.
WR...If our young guys were healthy, the same as above. I hope Royal can return to his rookie form. Of course, it takes a coach and QB who will utilize him correctly. Will that happen? Willis could be a lightning bolt for the offense. Decker could surprise. Man, if we had a healthy 1st round pick, this might be formidable. I just can't get excited about Gaffney and Lloyd, sorry.
TE... Don't even get me started. I wish we'd throw to Graham more, though.
O-line. Just when we think we are helthy and strong, Harris gets injured. Crossing my fingers on the rooks. We will live and die with the o-line this season.

D-line... old but bigger. Hope it works.

Linebackers.... young, quick, inexperienced you just can't replace a guy like Doom.

Corners.... A really solid unit, they will live and die with the passrush. Hope they ate their wheaties.

Safeties... I really want to see some of the younguns step up. Now is the time.

Special teams.... I think will be a strength this season. We may win a few games because of our ST.

Overall, I see our boys being able to compete and be "in" every game this year. This season will showcase Josh McDaniels true 'coaching' talents on the field. This year McDaniels will make me a believer and eat some serious crow if Denver can end up with a winning record. I would even accept .500 or close. But a 4 or 5 win season and even Bowlen won't be able to drown out the boos from his airtight skybox.

Come on Josh, make me eat some crowpie!

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
While I won't disagree with Kuper, how can you know the other four are > when we have yet to see them in a regular season game and Beadles couldn't even beat out Stanley who in two years hadn't even played in a game? :confused:

Because they're starting? :confused:

:D

rcsodak
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I am extremely excited about our cornerbacks and receivers. There is a lot of talent and the talent runs two and three deep at the positions. They're playmakers. Look for interceptions from the DBs and some dynamic catches and runs from the wide outs.

For the first time in years, I'm excited about our special teams. It seems like the blocking is getting better, and the returns by Cox, Thompson and Vaughn have been electrifying. If Prater and Colquit can continue with the good start they've gotten, our special teams units will be fun to watch.

I'm concerned about the health of our offensive and defensive lines. I'm concerned that our new NT doesn't have much left in the tank after thirteen years in the NFL. I'm hoping that both the lines find another gear when the season starts. I want to see defensive penetration and the offensive line opening holes for the running backs. It's concerning that it hasn't really happened so far.

What I'm really happy about is that there are a bunch of great guys to root for that are wearing orange and blue. I'm tired of working up the energy to root for questionable characters like Travis Henry or David Kircus.

I'm excited to see how this team will grow and play. I hope we get productive seasons from Buckhalter and Moreno. My prediction is that the defense will go into the "attack attack attack" mode that we've been hearing about.

Ditt. Just not sure why you might think JWilliams has an empty tank? He didn't play last year, which hopefully adds some young legs to him.
He didn't do much in PS, because he frankly already has the job and they wanted to get the backups some reps.

I think he's gonna be lights out, and personally, I can't wait til he lines up against SD.

TXBRONC
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

hamrob
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
This is going to be a very difficult year for us fans. This team is slowly on the decline thanks to McD. That's what happens when you let a Kid be a head football coach too soon. He's made some huge errors.

To say we have as much talent on this team as we did 2yrs ago is assinine. The facts are, we have less talent and less hope than any time I can remember. I really feel this year will be comparable to 1999 in terms of where we end up.

Really, it sucks for guys like Champ and Dawk who deserve more. Kyle Orton is an average, o.k. QB who doesn't scare defenses and has huge troubles trying to stretch the field. Couple that with an average at best running game and a patchwork offensive line and you have a recipe for disaster. This offense's only hope is hanging on the Shoulders of rookies (Walton, Beadles, Thomas, Decker and dare i say TEBOW).

Defensively, McD has done little to improve the poor defense handed him by Shanahan. The defensive line once again will be abused and our LB's are a long ways from being world beaters. Factor in the huge loss of Doom and things don't look all that promising on that side of the ball.

I do like McD as a coach, I think the guys will play for him, but he's yet to really show us he's a master of the X's and O's. His time is now, he needs to make this team win and compete for a wild card birth. Another 8-8 finish or worse could spell disaster for his immediate future.

We should beat Jax and Seattle...but, if things get off to a rough start....the pressure will mount and our games 3-6 are pretty tough.

JDL
09-09-2010, 01:08 AM
I like the young guys actually...

I think the Defensive front 7 is still abysmal... we've barely addressed it except through retreads and already knowns who can't even make the team. I don't see a lot of progress on D due to this.

On offense, I must admit Tebow is refreshing, I think he has plenty of work to do, but I certainly would never call him a bust from the Broncos perspective...the guy just has that 'it' that constantly draws people to him... and the Broncos have already made millions off him... I don't know if he will turn the franchise around or not... but I must say Jacksonville was stupid not taking the kid... just from a purely business standpoint.

McDaniels really doesn't deserve a 3rd year if he fails this year (there are a multitude of examples now that clearly demonstrate good coaches don't need more than 2 years.) McDaniels may very well get 2 years simply because a lot of teams will be relunctant to change coaches with a lockout. But, the Broncos imo HAVE to demonstrate significant progress for him to continue... too many good coaches do so much more with less in the same amount of time. He'll either prove this year to be a wise hire, or simply one of a) too young or b) too poorly qualified ... or perhaps a combination of those.... Shanahan was once that guy in Oakland and got booted, but I just see what so many coaches have done around the league in such a short period of time, I prefer to hold McD to the standard of the day, not some arbitrary 3 year total that doesn't reflect the time it has actually taken other coaches to turn around much less talented teams. The D may very well prevent him from achieving success this year though... but I am still ultimately hopeful as I am every year... it isn't always the most talented team, sometimes it is simply the most well-prepared and disciplined team.. we will see if those things hold true this year as well.

Elevation inc
09-09-2010, 05:55 AM
How do you feel about this years team? Does Xanders and Mcd have this team ready to compete after two years? Are we a better team than we were at the end of Shanny's tenor? Are we headed in the right direction?
Discuss..........

i feel better than last year, we have a better DL, and front seven then last year, the loss of doom hurts and i belive not having him will effect the secondary a bit more than anything on defense. i still expect a top 15 pass defense maybe top ten, but not as good as last year.

I do believe our Run defense will be much improved and scheme will be legit this year on defense and that we will actually be able to adapt when something isnt working. I am a bit worried about our second level coverage ability from the LB's which is where i think our pass defense will suffer most.

overall on defense i think our pass and run stuff will balance out making us a top 15 defense overall.......while our pass defense slides our run defense will improve some.....we won eight games last year, against a super hard schedule, and this year its easier on paper.....

On offense, kyle orton alone is making me feel confident enough about what we have. I was a bit worried about the loss of marshall, but its clear, orton is online with royal, gaffney, lloyd...and we have good depth there. Our interior OL may have some bumps this year, and the loss of harris and clady not 100% may effect our run game the first 3 weeks but i think knowshon is in for a 1000 yd season.....bit worried about our depth if injuries hit, but i fell some good karma coming. there are some questions here, but i belive last year had even more.....

overall i feel this is a 9-7/10-6 team that will be in the division hunt all the way to the last game of the season....i have us beating San diego at home, but losing the divsion on a Tie breaker to them as well for the division...the good news is a do forsee a wildcard playoff game against either miami or NE....

we will be alright, just my take......neckbeard for the win baby:beer:

slim
09-09-2010, 06:11 AM
I was hopeful the changes on D would work out, but over the preseason I have started to lose hope.

In honor of my lost hope, I am naming this year's defense 'Obama'.

Tned
09-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm a little dissapointed that Beadles couldn't hang on to the LG spot. I was hoping that he and Walton would both keep the starting jobs handed to them, which would complete the young O-line that hopefully will keep maturing and become a dominant one down the road.

Looking at the bright side, with Daniels (think that's his name), beating Beadles out, hopefully that means this kid is now ready for prime time. We will also get to see Beadles at RT coving for Harris, so maybe he will get a chance to win his job back while filling in at RT.

EastCoastBronco
09-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I've been strapped into the Broncos roller coaster for 27 years now. I think the only season out of the 27 of them that I was actually overconfident was the year after we won our first SB. As for the rest of them (this year included) I've always started out with a strong sense of hope. Unless the teams are on vastly different ends of the talent scale, a game in the NFL usually comes down to who gets the breaks, who gets the calls and who makes the fewest mistakes. In my opinion, there are only 10 or so teams that are vastly superior to our boys when it comes to talent. We play 3 of them this year.
Here's to hoping that McMuffin has the boys "right in the head" and properly motivated.

I'm ready for some football...;-)

Lonestar
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm a little dissapointed that Beadles couldn't hang on to the LG spot. I was hoping that he and Walton would both keep the starting jobs handed to them, which would complete the young O-line that hopefully will keep maturing and become a dominant one down the road.

Looking at the bright side, with Daniels (think that's his name), beating Beadles out, hopefully that means this kid is now ready for prime time. We will also get to see Beadles at RT coving for Harris, so maybe he will get a chance to win his job back while filling in at RT.

While I'd love to have beadles @OLG if someone beat him out who is bigger IIRC 325± nothing wrong with having some extra beef there.

Lonestar
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
IIRC that guy has been in the NFL for a couple of years so it is not like we are going have to replace him 2 years from now.

Lonestar
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
If h is that guy that neans we have a 40 pound upfrade there over last year. A lot less chance of seeing him get pushed back into the pocket.

Plus I have always thought that Beadles was harris replacement being ready to play and protect Tebows blind side. When he starts in 2012.

MileHighCrew
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
It is the start of the season of Denver Broncos football, I love this team..... Ask me again in a month and I hope I still love this squad, but it is opening week what is there not to love?

Tned
09-09-2010, 11:23 AM
While I'd love to have beadles @OLG if someone beat him out who is bigger IIRC 325± nothing wrong with having some extra beef there.

I agree, if they both played great, and Daniels won the job, then we are better off. If he played least bad, then not so good.

It's possible he's an Ed Mccaffrey type where he had skills that nobody recognized. He was signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent in '07, and as we know, the Rams had a horrid line, yet they released him. Then I think he was signed by the Jets, and then waived and was not on any team in '07. Then, he was resigned by the Jets and spent '08 on their practice squad, before being waived. Then, signed by the Packers and spent '09 on their practice squad, before being waived earlier this year and signed by the Broncos.

So, like i said, I hope it's a case of Beadles and Daniels both playing great, and Daniels finally coming into his own and winning the job. However, based on him being released by three teams in three years, I'm just a little concerned.

Ravage!!!
09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree, if they both played great, and Daniels won the job, then we are better off. If he played least bad, then not so good.

It's possible he's an Ed Mccaffrey type where he had skills that nobody recognized. He was signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent in '07, and as we know, the Rams had a horrid line, yet they released him. Then I think he was signed by the Jets, and then waived and was not on any team in '07. Then, he was resigned by the Jets and spent '08 on their practice squad, before being waived. Then, signed by the Packers and spent '09 on their practice squad, before being waived earlier this year and signed by the Broncos.

So, like i said, I hope it's a case of Beadles and Daniels both playing great, and Daniels finally coming into his own and winning the job. However, based on him being released by three teams in three years, I'm just a little concerned.

wow.. I wish I didn't just read that. I had no idea that Daniels had already been looked at and released/passed over by so many teams already. That just makes me much more concerned about our OL. I don't care about beef on the OL if they aren't any good. They will get pushed around just as much.

BroncoTech
09-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking we'll see more of the same. We'll probably finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs. I suspect we'll start strong and then flatten like a cream filled pastry left out in the sun by December.

The team has mediocre written all over it. No deep threat to stretch the field is still a concern. The health is such that we'll be seeing lots of back ups and they've looked unimpressive so far.

I had high hopes seeing Tebow complete a few passes his pass mechanics looked decent and I liked his footwork in a tight pocket. What kills me is his taking of the snap from center, it looks like a Charles Barkley golf swing and shows serious flaws.

I think everyone has the right read on Orton, he's just a journeyman QB, our D line looks better, but I've seen that at the start of seasons past fade in December so I expect much more of the same.

Tned
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
wow.. I wish I didn't just read that. I had no idea that Daniels had already been looked at and released/passed over by so many teams already. That just makes me much more concerned about our OL. I don't care about beef on the OL if they aren't any good. They will get pushed around just as much.

Doesn't mean he won't do a great job, but it's a 'little' concerning that nobody else beat him out. However, maybe he just needed those three years, two on practice squads, to be NFL ready. He could wind up being a star.

Traveler
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking we'll see more of the same. We'll probably finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs. I suspect we'll start strong and then flatten like a cream filled pastry left out in the sun by December.

The team has mediocre written all over it. No deep threat to stretch the field is still a concern. The health is such that we'll be seeing lots of back ups and they've looked unimpressive so far.

I had high hopes seeing Tebow complete a few passes his pass mechanics looked decent and I liked his footwork in a tight pocket. What kills me is his taking of the snap from center, it looks like a Charles Barkley golf swing and shows serious flaws.

I think everyone has the right read on Orton, he's just a journeyman QB, our D line looks better, but I've seen that at the start of seasons past fade in December so I expect much more of the same.

This is one of the few years I think we'll finish stronger than we started.

The reasons: Too many injuries to key players; not enough time to jell during the offseason; and still transitioning to a power running scheme on offense.

With the OL and RB positions in a state of flux, there's a good possibility that we won't see the continuity on the offensive side of the ball till later this season.

Traveler
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Doesn't mean he won't do a great job, but it's a 'little' concerning that nobody else beat him out. However, maybe he just needed those three years, two on practice squads, to be NFL ready. He could wind up being a star.

Am I picking up a little sarcasm here? :confused:

Tned
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Am I picking up a little sarcasm here? :confused:

While more times than not the answer would be yes, when asking about one of my posts, in this case, no.

Some players take longer to develop, whether it be as a backup on the main squad, or on the practice squad.

I am really hoping that he beat Beadles, Hochstein and company out because he is now ready for prime time, rather than being the best of the bad options.

MasterShake
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Another year in a new system after going 8-8 with a hellacious schedule gives me confidence I haven't felt in a while with this team. I think we can easily win 10+ games and get at least one playoff game. I'd love to see that and I think it will happen! :salute:

Traveler
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
While more times than not the answer would be yes, when asking about one of my posts, in this case, no.

Some players take longer to develop, whether it be as a backup on the main squad, or on the practice squad.

I am really hoping that he beat Beadles, Hochstein and company out because he is now ready for prime time, rather than being the best of the bad options.

Semantics my good friend!:D

I'm guessing the bolded portion above is where you really are. That's where I am personally. Just my pessimistic side rearing it's ugly head.

Tned
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Semantics my good friend!:D

I'm guessing the bolded portion above is where you really are. That's where I am personally. Just my pessimistic side rearing it's ugly head.

I'm really hoping that's not the case. I'm afraid it is, but hoping it's not. I just don't know enough about Daniels or Beadles to form a good opinion. Clady being back has to help whoever is playing LG. I guess we'll get a feel for where things stand on Sunday.

underrated29
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM

I dont think it is as much that daniels beat him out as it is that beadles is a jack. He can play both G and T. In this case, Harris it out and beadles is a much much better backup, then batiste. Plus stanleys play is not a drop off from beadles...Kinda like deangelo williams and stewart. Not really a drop off when one leaves and one enters.

Same here. Stanley is good at LG and beadles is too, BUT beadles can also play T, and much better than batiste. By doing this Josh is getting the best players on the field.

Actually, it will be quite the opposite. Our schedule dictates that we start out kinda rough, then finish very strong. And the haterade must be flowing where you live, because Kyle has shown EVERY reason why he is not a journeyman this year. I expect him to have a good year. Not AMAZING, but good. On par with Tony Romo, Schaub, Mcnabb, Flacco.

And we do have a deep threat. Just because his name is not randy moss or Andre Johnson does not mean we do not have one. I swear people get sooo tied up in names that they forget to actually watch the players. Enjoy the season man, it will be better than you think.

Tned
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I dont think it is as much that daniels beat him out as it is that beadles is a jack. He can play both G and T. In this case, Harris it out and beadles is a much much better backup, then batiste. Plus stanleys play is not a drop off from beadles...Kinda like deangelo williams and stewart. Not really a drop off when one leaves and one enters.

Same here. Stanley is good at LG and beadles is too, BUT beadles can also play T, and much better than batiste. By doing this Josh is getting the best players on the field.

The only thing that leads me to believe that isn't the case (that Daniels is LG, because Beadles is more versatile), is because I'm pretty sure Beadles and Walton played the first two preseason games in their entirety, which seemed to indicate McDaniels wanted them to be the starters. Then, the articles indicated that Daniels had passed Beadles on the depth chart and would start game three.

So, while I think it's true Beadles is versatile and they like that, it appears he simply was passed by Daniels on the depth chart and that's why Daniels is starting.

Italianmobstr7
09-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I feel the same way I feel every year before week 1. 19-0 baby! Haha jk. I think we'll be an okay team. I'm always very excited for the season to start and try to be optimistic. I'll say at worst 7-9 and at best 10-6. Should be an exciting year!

jhildebrand
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I just can't shake 6-10.

underrated29
09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
The only thing that leads me to believe that isn't the case (that Daniels is LG, because Beadles is more versatile), is because I'm pretty sure Beadles and Walton played the first two preseason games in their entirety, which seemed to indicate McDaniels wanted them to be the starters. Then, the articles indicated that Daniels had passed Beadles on the depth chart and would start game three.

So, while I think it's true Beadles is versatile and they like that, it appears he simply was passed by Daniels on the depth chart and that's why Daniels is starting.

Correct, but there are a few things you must also take into account, at least i think so anyway.

1. At the end of the game we started to use beadles as the LT, josh said he wanted to get him some reps there. And since the beadle is going to be a guy that josh wants to play both positions he needed him to see action at that spot. Then he also said that he was going to start the beadle at LT for the pitts game? (Pits game- I cant remember which game it was, but I think pitts) and he did start him there. So he could get a full games reps in at the T position.

2. Stanley was doing well with the backups at LG, and when Beadles moved over to LT during the end of the game (the 2nd game i think?) stanely filled in very nicely, maybe even better...He is afterall a bigger guy size wise. So I think they both saw the same amount of time at LG, but beadles also saw time at T too.

While daniels play might be better than beadles at LG, he also does not have to concentrate on multiple positions. And if anyone remembers beadles played pretty well at LG for us when he was starting there...Considering he was a rook......My DVR hardrive broke and so I lost all my recorded games, so I can not go back and look anymore. :tsk: but that is how I remember it anyway. Had the beadle been able to soley concentrate on LG, we might find that he would indeed hold off daniels.

What we do know for certain, is that beadles is a pretty good T, and a pretty good LG, from what we have seen. He was also a 2nd rd talent, maybe 3rd, but his versatility led us nabbing him in the 2. Thus, if our boy daniels can keep up with or even out perform him then he must really be looking good. Because we could have easily left beadle at LG and used batiste at RT until harris is back.

The real question becomes, when harris comes back. Does Stanley continue to hold off the beadle at LG or does Zane take his job in a week or two?
Me personally, I am in favor of keeping daniels in, not only to gel but I also do not like having our best backup at T, also playing...I like him to sit as a backup so that if one of our bookends goes down, we dont have to reshuffle everything, or worry about our backup also getting hurt while at LG.

Bosco
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm very confident in this team. Not "Super Bowl Champs" type confident. This year we'll see the continued benefits of Josh McDaniels putting his stamp on the team and make a good run at the AFCW title. We'll probably get beat by a better team in the playoffs and then go into the 2011 offseason looking to get the final pieces to make a legit Super Bowl run.

Tned
09-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Correct, but there are a few things you must also take into account, at least i think so anyway.

1. At the end of the game we started to use beadles as the LT, josh said he wanted to get him some reps there. And since the beadle is going to be a guy that josh wants to play both positions he needed him to see action at that spot. Then he also said that he was going to start the beadle at LT for the pitts game? (Pits game- I cant remember which game it was, but I think pitts) and he did start him there. So he could get a full games reps in at the T position.

2. Stanley was doing well with the backups at LG, and when Beadles moved over to LT during the end of the game (the 2nd game i think?) stanely filled in very nicely, maybe even better...He is afterall a bigger guy size wise. So I think they both saw the same amount of time at LG, but beadles also saw time at T too.

While daniels play might be better than beadles at LG, he also does not have to concentrate on multiple positions. And if anyone remembers beadles played pretty well at LG for us when he was starting there...Considering he was a rook......My DVR hardrive broke and so I lost all my recorded games, so I can not go back and look anymore. :tsk: but that is how I remember it anyway. Had the beadle been able to soley concentrate on LG, we might find that he would indeed hold off daniels.

What we do know for certain, is that beadles is a pretty good T, and a pretty good LG, from what we have seen. He was also a 2nd rd talent, maybe 3rd, but his versatility led us nabbing him in the 2. Thus, if our boy daniels can keep up with or even out perform him then he must really be looking good. Because we could have easily left beadle at LG and used batiste at RT until harris is back.

The real question becomes, when harris comes back. Does Stanley continue to hold off the beadle at LG or does Zane take his job in a week or two?
Me personally, I am in favor of keeping daniels in, not only to gel but I also do not like having our best backup at T, also playing...I like him to sit as a backup so that if one of our bookends goes down, we dont have to reshuffle everything, or worry about our backup also getting hurt while at LG.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens when Harris is back. Based on the reports of Daniels passing him on the depth chart, it would seem like it's Daniels' job to lose, but if Beadles excels at RT and Beadles struggles at all, then you would think Beadles could move back.

I have had to rely on press accounts, because I was only able to watch two games on the computer, and the 3rd game in a hotel, where I missed the first quarter. I have them all taped (the NFL network replays), but haven't had a chance to rewatch, and won't have any time between now and gameday as I am working all weekend.

Ravage!!!
09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I never really know how I feel about the team until after 2-3 games. But it told me a lot when I was looking that the schedule this week to make picks, and realized that I felt it was a toss-up between Denver and Jacksonville..... and I think Jacksonville SUCKS! So then it kinda hit me that I may not think much of this team.

But I'm still going by the phlosophy of no knowing until at least 3 weeks in as to what we are and what we aren't. There are SOOOo many question marks on offense, that its hard to find a single position we don't have questions about... and I still haven't found that position. Thats going into the year without having a lot "in place" to build on.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
The absolute most important thing is getting a win in week one. I read an interesting stat today. 10 of the 12 playoff teams from last year won their first game (Cincy was one of the two that didn't thanks to the holy Stokely ;)). That's how important it is to set that early tempo.

nevcraw
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
win the first one.. worry about the rest later..

claymore
09-09-2010, 08:26 PM
One step at a time. Just make the plane to jacksonville.

broncogirl7
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
6-10 based on pre-season games and injuries...maybe a better picture will emerge after 3-4 games?