PDA

View Full Version : Number changes and assignments to new players

Italianmobstr7
09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
With the 53-man roster in place (for now), several players who made the cut have opted to change their jersey numbers for the start of the regular season.

The changes:

- CB Syd’Quan Thompson will wear No. 22. (He was No. 43 in camp, when 22 belonged to Alphonso Smith.)

- LB Joe Mays has switched to No. 51 from No. 96. (Akin Ayodele wore No. 51 in the preseason until he was cut).

Here are the jersey numbers for the new Broncos:

- RB Andre Brown will wear No. 26.

- TE Dan Gronkowski will wear No. 82.

- OL Chris Clark will wear No. 75.

Two practice squad players have also changed their numbers: LB Kevin Alexander is now No. 58 (from No. 48) and LB Worrell Williams is No. 54 (from No. 49).

Plan your jersey purchases accordingly. (Oh, who am I kidding. I know you all have only purchased No. 15s).

http://http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/06/new-roster-numbers-for-several-broncos/5046/

topscribe
09-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Nope. Purchased #8.

It's interesting, though, how numbers become so entrenched in a player's
identification. It's like one's name - being called anything else is just plain weird.
Were I Worrell, though, I think I would have kept 49. It seems much more
distinguishable than 54. But then, that's just me. I don't think he'd listen to me. :D

-----

BroncoWave
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
22 seems to be a popular #. Every time someone wearing it leaves it's immediately snatched up.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Can you wear a 40 number at LB in the NFL?

Italianmobstr7
09-06-2010, 01:20 PM

I believe you can. Larsen wore #46 as a LB. Seems like he grabbed 54 because it's next to his brothers number 55 though..

honz
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I just ordered my #82 and have started growing out my hair.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I believe you can. Larsen wore #46 as a LB. Seems like he grabbed 54 because it's next to his brothers number 55 though..

But did he grab 46 as a LB or because he was listed as a FB?

Italianmobstr7
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
But did he grab 46 as a LB or because he was listed as a FB?

He had 46 while he was a linebacker. Kept it as a FB. He's been #46 ever since he became a Bronco.

pnbronco
09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Nope. Purchased #8.

identification. It's like one's name - being called anything else is just plain weird.
distinguishable than 54. But then, that's just me. I don't think he'd listen to me. :D

-----

Me too Top....I ordered #8 before camp and wore to the last practices I went to and both preseason games.....

I can tell I'm getting old, there were times I would see a # like 49 and think Dennis Smith, 93 Trevor Pryce...short term memory is going out the window....:shocked:

honz
09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Me too Top....I ordered #8 before camp and wore to the last practices I went to and both preseason games.....

I can tell I'm getting old, there were times I would see a # like 49 and think Dennis Smith, 93 Trevor Pryce...short term memory is going out the window....:shocked:

Who? :confused:

FanInAZ
09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Its my understanding that the only official numbering system is for the offensive players to make it easier on the refs to determine if their is an ineligible player down field. There is no "official" numbering system for defencive players. What numbering system that is used by defenses is more or less traditional. During training camp/pre-season, any adherence to any numbering system is impractical. A team that is wanting to bring in extra LBs can't be inhibited by all of the LB #s all ready being taken. So, newbies will be assigned any # available for TC/PS and will be given a permanent # if they make the final roster

GGMoogly
09-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Can you even buy jerseys with numbers only and no name? :confused:

honz
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Can you even buy jerseys with numbers only and no name? :confused:

You can buy custom jerseys at the NFL store and put any name or number you want on there. I have a #1 jersey that says HONZ on it.

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2252442&cp=716584.2237430&pageType=family&parentPage=family

GGMoogly
09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
You can buy custom jerseys at the NFL store and put any name or number you want on there. I have a #1 jersey that says HONZ on it.

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2252442&cp=716584.2237430&pageType=family&parentPage=family

Thank you :salute:

honz
09-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I just purchased a #15 that says TEBOWNER.

Dzone
09-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I think the league requires certain numbers for certain positions, even on defense. I think the whole numbering system blows...We may never again see a John Hadl number on a QB(21). How about Jim Otto, #00, or Larry Wilson #8. Night Train Lane was a defensive back and wore a number in the 80s.Charley Connerly, number 21, I think...those kinds of numbers gave a certain character to those guys. Players should be able to wear any number that they want.

The No Fun League has ex-players policing the sidelines to fine guys for having their socks fall down or their shirt tail out...how stupid...They want every player to look exactly alike and behave exactly alike...score a touchdown and put the ball on the ground or face a fine...No John Randle vampire eyeblack anymore...oh well...Its really too bad because fans like that stuff.

Dzone
09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
^add Paul Hornung #5! What other players do you remember that had unusual jersey #s????

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I think the league requires certain numbers for certain positions, even on defense. I think the whole numbering system blows...We may never again see a John Hadl number on a QB(21). How about Jim Otto, #00, or Larry Wilson #8. Night Train Lane was a defensive back and wore a number in the 80s.Charley Connerly, number 21, I think...those kinds of numbers gave a certain character to those guys. Players should be able to wear any number that they want.

The No Fun League has ex-players policing the sidelines to fine guys for having their socks fall down or their shirt tail out...how stupid...They want every player to look exactly alike and behave exactly alike...score a touchdown and put the ball on the ground or face a fine...No John Randle vampire eyeblack anymore...oh well...Its really too bad because fans like that stuff.

I like the number by positions. When you watch a game, you can see what position made the play. Who was in the routes or on the tackles. I personally hate that the 'teens' were allowed to be WR numbers because it looks like college, but I've gotten used to it. That happened because there were too many retired numbers with some teams and they didn't have enough 80s to fill their roster.

I get why they have a dress code. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation now. Even the NBA has finally tried to have some kind of resemblance of a dress code.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Since some folks were curious.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-jers-nums

Certain positions are limited by what they can wear. The only reason Larsen gets to wear 46 is because he's listed (and always has been in the regular season) as a FB. If he was converted to full time LB he'd have to change to 50-59 or 90-99.

There's already controversy brewing about Devin Hester because he no longer plays DB (what his original 23 was based on) and is now a WR. I'm pretty sure he's been getting pressure from the league to change his number.

topscribe
09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
^add Paul Hornung #5! What other players do you remember that had unusual jersey #s????

Well, I was number LXXXIV.

But then, maybe that wasn't so unusual when I played . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/OldFartgif.png

-----

Lonestar
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Well I got my #15 with marshal on it at a close out shop, for IIRC 2 for $30 and then took it to the embroidery shop and had TEBOW put on them. Both units cost me about 45 bucks total.

topscribe
09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Well I got my #15 with marshal on it at a close out shop, for IIRC 2 for $30 and then took it to the embroidery shop and had TEBOW put on them. Both units cost me about 45 bucks total.

Seems like going to a lot of trouble. Frankly, I'm not going to spend a dime for
anything with a player's name on it, who has yet to play a down in the regular
season in the NFL. Tebow hasn't done a thing for me to place him in high esteem,
other than to say he seems a good kid. I have a Plummer jersey, a Rich Jackson
jersey (that my friend AZ Snake bought for me), and the new Orton jersey. Those
guys have done something . . .

-----

Lonestar
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Seems like going to a lot of trouble. Frankly, I'm not going to spend a dime for
anything with a player's name on it, who has yet to play a down in the regular
season in the NFL. Tebow hasn't done a thing for me to place him in high esteem,
other than to say he seems a good kid. I have a Plummer jersey, a Rich Jackson
jersey (that my friend AZ Snake bought for me), and the new Orton jersey. Those
guys have done something . . .

-----
Perhaps but the value was worth getting one for me and Birthday present for a friend.

WHO was a huge Tebow fan while in Florida. so it really was not much afterall.

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 11:03 PM

I think that has something to do with fact he was listed as fullback first. If he was listed as linebacker first I think he would have wear a number in the 50s of the 90s.

Buff
09-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Nope. Purchased #8.

-----

Seems like a stubborn jersey purchase. It's cool you're supporting Orton, but why not opt for a guy who has a chance to be on the team past 2012?

topscribe
09-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Seems like a stubborn jersey purchase. It's cool you're supporting Orton, but why not opt for a guy who has a chance to be on the team past 2012?

How do you know Orton won't be here? You think that makes less sense than
buying the jersey to a third-string QB who has yet to throw a pass in the league?

Besides, I wear my Plummer and Jackson jerseys. They aren't here . . .

-----

Buff
09-07-2010, 01:53 AM
How do you know Orton won't be here? Your crystal ball must be working better than mine.

Besides, I wear the Plummer and Jackson jerseys. They aren't here . . .

-----

It's not impossible that he stays with the team long term... But the odds are very slim.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that 2012-2013 will be his final year with Denver, if not 2011-2012. That's just the reality of the NFL when you take a 1st round QB. Even if he plays well I think they still trade him.

Not the decision I'd make with my money, but it's not my money is it?

topscribe
09-07-2010, 02:02 AM
It's not impossible that he stays with the team long term... But the odds are very slim.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that 2012-2013 will be his final year with Denver, if not 2011-2012. That's just the reality of the NFL when you take a 1st round QB. Even if he plays well I think they still trade him.

Not the decision I'd make with my money, but it's not my money is it?

Well, unless the jersey is going to suddenly rot away and fall off my back if and
when he leaves, I don't consider it a worse investment than anything else. I'll
still wear it, and I will still be a fan of Orton's.

If you really look at it, the whole thing is pretty silly - spending any kind of
money on a grown-up boy's game where they take an odd-shaped ball and try
to get it over a line more than the other guys. If we're going to discuss wise
investments, then we need to be talking about investing in appreciable
property or something. This is simply spending on entertainment.

So I don't regard where one spends such money any wiser - or less foolish -
than where another does. Actually, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather be stocking
my liquor cabinet, anyway . . .

-----

Buff
09-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Well, unless the jersey is going to suddenly rot away and fall off my back if and
when he leaves, I don't consider it a worse investment than anything else. I'll
still wear it, and I will still be a fan of Orton's.

If you really look at it, the whole thing is pretty silly - spending any kind of
money on a grown-up boy's game where they take an odd-shaped ball and try
to get it over a line more than the other guys. If we're going to discuss wise
investments, then we need to be talking about investing in appreciable
property or something. This is simply spending on entertainment.

So I don't regard where one spends such money any wiser - or less foolish -
than where another does. Actually, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather be stocking
my liquor cabinet, anyway . . .

-----

I'm not really much of a jersey guy in general... I've owned 2 in my life - Joe Sakic, Champ Bailey. I guess I'm of the opinion that once a guy leaves for another team the jersey has to get permanently retire (at least in public), so I like to get a lot of bang for my buck in the rare occasion that I decide to buy one.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just not how I would have done it.

topscribe
09-07-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm not really much of a jersey guy in general... I've owned 2 in my life - Joe Sakic, Champ Bailey. I guess I'm of the opinion that once a guy leaves for another team the jersey has to get permanently retire (at least in public), so I like to get a lot of bang for my buck in the rare occasion that I decide to buy one.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just not how I would have done it.

That's why there's so much variety in the world. :D

-----

SonoftheSouth
09-07-2010, 04:57 AM
22 seems to be a popular #. Every time someone wearing it leaves it's immediately snatched up.

I guess some people really dig tutu's.:D

sneakers
09-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Mark Schlereth still wears #69