PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos' Decker shows signs of being productive immediately

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16000668

Q&A: Broncos' Decker shows signs of being productive immediately

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Welcome back. Today's question comes from Lee Thompson in Castle Rock:

Q: I'm frustrated. It seems to me that Eric Decker gets no respect compared to Matt Willis. And the Denver Post keeps talking up Demaryius Thomas, who has yet to make a catch. What's the deal?

A: Lee, you led the way with a few folks checking in this weekend about Decker, a rookie the Broncos selected in the third round of this past April's draft.

Decker closed out the preseason with a flourish with 10 receptions for 114 yards against the Vikings' reserves Thursday night. He projects to get most of his playing time in the slot — the inside receiver when the Broncos use three or four in the formation.

He'll also likely get some plays here and there on the outside as well. He led the Broncos in catches in the preseason with 16, while Willis led the team in yards receiving (263) and yards per catch (20.2).

Both guys will get plenty of respect if they put up the numbers in the regular season. Thomas gets a lot of attention because he was the team's No. 1 pick in the last draft, so generally as we cover the beat we have to tell folks why he is or isn't playing.

And he hasn't played much, because he's had some difficulties with the left foot he also fractured in the weeks leading up to the draft. He had surgery to repair it.

He returned to practice early on in training camp but has appeared in just one full team workout since Aug. 7, when he reinjured the foot in the Broncos' practice at Invesco Field at Mile High.

If the Broncos get too deep into the season and he still doesn't have a catch, then there may be some legitimate concern about how his foot will hold up over the long haul.

Decker's draft status was affected by his foot surgery during his senior season at Minnesota. The Broncos hope he can be a physical presence in the offense — he made plenty of tough catches in traffic for the Gophers.

He showed a nice feel in the middle of the field against the Vikings on Thursday night, moving himself into the open spaces in the coverages.

Those skills usually translate to a guy who can be productive quickly. It shows his understanding of the game and his willingness to keep working on a play to get the ball.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Maybe instead of putting him in the slot to take away reception opportunities for Royal they'll move either Gaffney or Lloyd out of the starting line up. :heh:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Maybe instead of putting him in the slot to take away reception opportunities for Royal they'll move either Gaffney or Lloyd out of the starting line up. :heh:

Lloyd...

Ravage!!!
09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
it still bothers me that I see the names 'Gaffney' and 'Lloyd' listed anywhere NEAR our starting lineup.

Dzone
09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Decker does not seem like a rookie. The guy is impressive. He seems very confident. Thomas may be another aphonso smith, but lets hope not. He sure looked good in the early practices, but a chronic foot problem can really disable a player. Didnt he have another surgery on that foot recently?

ogplife
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Decker does not seem like a rookie. The guy is impressive. He seems very confident. Thomas may be another aphonso smith, but lets hope not. He sure looked good in the early practices, but a chronic foot problem can really disable a player. Didnt he have another surgery on that foot recently?

I dont see the correlation between Thomas (injured) and Smith (unproductive).

Dzone
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=ogplife;1054439]I dont see the correlation between Thomas (injured) and Smith (unproductive).[/

Of course its different, was talking in terms of lost first round picks because of gambles. Denver knew he had a surgically repaired foot, they drafted him anyway. I would guess they werent anticipating d thomas' foot to linger this long.

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=ogplife;1054439]I dont see the correlation between Thomas (injured) and Smith (unproductive).[/

Of course its different, was talking in terms of lost first round picks because of gambles. Denver knew he had a surgically repaired foot, they drafted him anyway. I would guess they werent anticipating d thomas' foot to linger this long.

Thomas was in camp practicing and then re-injured his foot.

Bosco
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM

That's basically what will happen. Whenever we go to a 3 or 4 wide set, Royal will be in the slot with some combination of Lloyd, Thomas, Gaffney and Decker out on the wings. Eventually Decker will replace Gaffney as the Y receiver though.

BroncoWave
09-07-2010, 12:29 AM
it still bothers me that I see the names 'Gaffney' and 'Lloyd' listed anywhere NEAR our starting lineup.

Why? In a 3 WR set Gaffney is a very serviceable starter. The way some people talk about him it's like they didn't watch him play last season. No he's not great but we could do way worse than having him as a starter.

I'll give you Lloyd although he did look very good in the preseason so I'm not ready give up on him like you seem to be.

Now if Thomas, Willis and/or Decker show that they can preform well against starting NFL competition then by all means put them in the starting lineup over those guys but as of RIGHT now I think those are the 3 correct guys to be starting. It's not like those other guys won't see the field though.

TXBRONC
09-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Why? In a 3 WR set Gaffney is a very serviceable starter. The way some people talk about him it's like they didn't watch him play last season. No he's not great but we could do way worse than having him as a starter.

I'll give you Lloyd although he did look very good in the preseason so I'm not ready give up on him like you seem to be.

Now if Thomas, Willis and/or Decker show that they can preform well against starting NFL competition then by all means put them in the starting lineup over those guys but as of RIGHT now I think those are the 3 correct guys to be starting. It's not like those other guys won't see the field though.

That's been his m.o. throughout his career. He's looked good in the preseason and then not so good in the regular. Maybe he bucks that trend this time.