PDA

View Full Version : Shaping Broncos' roster creates bunch of dead money

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15995965?_requestid=8401461

Shaping Broncos' roster creates bunch of dead money
By making moves involving Jarvis Green, Brandon Stokley and Alphonso Smith, Denver squanders about $6 million.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 09/05/2010 06:46:52 PM MDT

Coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders admitted their own mistakes Saturday in making final cuts to the Broncos' roster. Now, if the Broncos' football operation bosses can do something about their initial player evaluation process.

McDaniels and Xanders set the 53-man roster while dumping an armored truck worth of dead money in their wake.

Among the more notable player moves were the release of defensive end Jarvis Green, who will collect $3.255 million without ever stepping on the field for the Broncos, and Marquez Branson, who had been the team's top receiving tight end through the offseason and preseason.

Popular and productive receiver Brandon Stokley was placed on injured reserve until a settlement terminates his contract, which has already paid him $600,000 in bonuses this year.

"It's hard to make it as a backup slot receiver," Stokley said. "I think that was the main thing. And one that doesn't play special teams. So I think all that added up to me being released."

The team also released backup linebacker and special-teams standout Darrell Reid, whose offseason knee surgery made him a candidate for the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, and guard Seth Olsen, a fourth-round pick in 2009.

And then there was the most startling admission of all, that giving up a future first-round draft pick (which turned out to be Seattle safety Earl Thomas at No. 14 overall this year) for cornerback Alphonso Smith a year ago was an unfortunate error in judgment.

Smith, who received a $2.15 million signing bonus as the No. 37 overall selection in the 2009 draft, was traded to Detroit in exchange for Dan Gronkowski, a seventh-round pick in the same draft who will replace the disappointing Branson as the Broncos' new receiving tight end.

The teams also traded undisclosed draft picks.

The one-day total of wasted money: $6.01 million on Green, Smith and Stokley.

"It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business," Stokley said. "You have to prove yourself every year. Different circumstances happen, and sometimes what happens is out of your control."

Then again, the Broncos saved $1.74 million by cutting Reid and the bulk of the $1.4 million salary owed to Stokley, who missed the final three preseason games with a groin injury.

Not that money was anything more than an afterthought when it came time to setting the roster. McDaniels and Xanders sent the message that performance, not financial considerations, wins roster spots.

Just ask Green. The former New England Patriot was one of the Broncos' "big three" free-agent defensive linemen signed in March. Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams were the others.

Green was given a four-year, $11.76 million contract, of which his $2.5 million signing bonus and $755,000 salary for this year were guaranteed. But by the team's mandatory minicamp in June, Ryan McBean had reclaimed his starting job at right defensive end.

The Broncos will be cleared of paying the $755,000 salary if Green signs elsewhere. But it won't be easy for Green to find work after he regressed to the point where he didn't step on the field in the Broncos' final preseason game Thursday at Minnesota.

As for the final roster makeup, McDaniels and Xanders made it clear special teams is a concerted priority as they kept 10 defensive backs and eight linebackers.

There also are health concerns that led the Broncos to keep nine offensive linemen. Right tackle Ryan Harris may be out for a while with a sprained left ankle, and left tackle Ryan Clady is just returning from major knee surgery.

The gimpy nature of tailbacks Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter also may have helped Bruce Hall join Lance Ball as backups.

And in the end, the experienced Brady Quinn was considered a valuable No. 3 quarterback while rookie backup Tim Tebow continues to develop behind starter Kyle Orton.

For some players, kids such as Syd'Quan Thompson and Eric Olsen, Saturday was a great day as they offically made an NFL roster. But it was a sad day for such franchise icons as Stokley, who this time would not receive a last-second Immaculate Deflection.

"I had a great three years here," Stokley said. "Great organization and great people. Now it's time to turn the page."

Traveler
09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I would love to hear some candid thoughts from Bowlen.

atwater27
09-06-2010, 07:53 AM
All teams make these mistakes in the draft. All teams sign a bunch of guys to guaranteed money, only to cut them 6 months later. All teams trade away their best receiving tight end to a team that later trades his backup straight up for a 1st round bust/reach. All teams trade away a promising, hard working young utility back in the mold of Mike Alstott for a QB that has accomplished much more in checkout register tabloid magazines than he has on the football field. This off/pre-season has been nothing but smooth and stellar. Nothing to see here, move on....

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 08:39 AM

It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on it but he wont if he's frustrated because he wont undercut his coach. That's one of the things I like about Bowlen.

All teams make these mistakes in the draft. All teams sign a bunch of guys to guaranteed money, only to cut them 6 months later. All teams trade away their best receiving tight end to a team that later trades his backup straight up for a 1st round bust/reach. All teams trade away a promising, hard working young utility back in the mold of Mike Alstott for a QB that has accomplished much more in checkout register tabloid magazines than he has on the football field. This off/pre-season has been nothing but smooth and stellar. Nothing to see here, move on....

Me thinks you're being just a wee bit sarcastic. ;)

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM

I'm sure he's f'n tired of it....Denver has been among the league's leaders in dead money. We had one season a few years ago where 20% of our salary cap was going to players who weren't even on the team.

Traveler
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm sure he's f'n tired of it....Denver has been among the league's leaders in dead money. We had one season a few years ago where 20% of our salary cap was going to players who weren't even on the team.

Xanders did well last year trying to clear up that problem. Kudos for that! Approximately $30 million in dead money!

$6 million isn't a drop in the bucket, but it's also not a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things.

Hopefully, Bowlen and Saccamono make it known that must do a better job of research before pulling off a Smith type trade again.

Then again, who's to say they aren't running this past the owner before pulling the trigger.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
This was the right year to do it. There's no cap, therefore no cap hit. The $6 Million is between Bowlen and McD/Xanders. It doesn't hurt the franchise at all.

spikerman
09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Somewhere Pat Bowlen's wallet is crying.

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
$6 million in dead cap space doesn't seem outrageous to me. During the Shanny years we often were in double digits.

I would like to see the NFL average before I start worrying about Bowlen's money.

dogfish
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Somewhere Pat Bowlen's wallet is crying.

somewhere, all the fans who've bought nine dollar beers at his stadium feel little to no sympathy!

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
This was the right year to do it. There's no cap, therefore no cap hit. The $6 Million is between Bowlen and McD/Xanders. It doesn't hurt the franchise at all.

But unfortunately it's still money that cannot be used elsewhere.

Lonestar
09-07-2010, 03:23 AM

guessing he was glad that it was only this amount. could have had mikey at the helm with double digit numbers.

Yeppers on this one.

$6 million in dead cap space doesn't seem outrageous to me. During the Shanny years we often were in double digits.

I would like to see the NFL average before I start worrying about Bowlen's money.

While it is a sad number, it is what you call the cost of doing business.

And for the most part that money was already in the players bank since is was signing bonuses. it is not like they have to come up with the money when they cut them.. As I sounded like in the article.

Will not be the first and will not be that last dead money that would have been in the cap had there been one.

But I'm sure that we will hear about this in the future, more than one time.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: