PDA

View Full Version : Broncos claim RB Andre Brown from Giants

honz
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/5/1671173/denver-broncos-claim-rb-andre

I think I can already hear BTB sniffling. I'm sure Bruce Hall is a great guy, but he is not an NFL running back. It seems like there were many high on Andre Brown heading into the draft last year, but I'm not positive.

Tempus Fugit
09-05-2010, 12:45 PM
The Denver Broncos have claimed running back Andre Brown off of waivers from the New York Giants, per Adam Caplan and Mike Garafolo via Twitter.

Brown was a fourth round pick of the Giants in 2009 out of North Carolina State. A torn Achilles kept him out of his rookie season.

Northman
09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Good pickup. I know Lex will be estatic.

Northman
09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Yep. Good pickup. So much we needed 2 threads. lol

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
hah.. when I first read this, I thought it was the Brown that the Raiders just released

Northman
09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
hah.. when I first read this, I thought it was the Brown that the Raiders just released

I would pick up that boy too just to spite crazy Al. :lol:

honz
09-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Mine was first!

topscribe
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM

You and me both. I had to look twice. :laugh:

-----

broncofaninfla
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't know anything about him but I hope he is better than any healthy back we have.

turftoad
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I think this is a good pick up. He's big and pretty fast. Injuries have derailed his career.

topscribe
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't know anything about him but I hope he is better than any healthy back we have.

Ironically, Brown has just recovered from a torn achilles (sound familiar?).

It's beginning to seem the Broncos have an affinity for players with foot injuries . . . :confused:

-----

Italianmobstr7
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM

I think I can already hear BTB sniffling. I'm sure Bruce Hall is a great guy, but he is not an NFL running back. It seems like there were many high on Andre Brown heading into the draft last year, but I'm not positive.

Don't be too sure that we're releasing Hall just yet... He's listed above Lance Ball on the teams official depth chart that came out yesterday...

topscribe
09-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Don't be too sure that we're releasing Hall just yet... He's listed above Lance Ball on the teams official depth chart that came out yesterday...

That's got to be a mistake. Ball appeared so much quicker than Hall Sunday
night that it looked like Hall was standing still . . .

-----

shank
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
That's got to be a mistake. Ball appeared so much quicker than Hall Sunday
night that it looked like Hall was standing still . . .

-----

+1. hall looked terrible. looked like he was running in 3 feet of jello while wearing beer goggles, carrying a football made out of KY jelly.

dogfish
09-05-2010, 01:57 PM
cool. . . he was actually the top guy on my list of camp cuts so far-- he's a pretty tough bull runner, and we have room for a guy like that. . .

underrated29
09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I had us taking moreno, rahsad, or brown 2 years ago. I am thrilled with this signing. The guy is a big boy and can move pretty well. IMO an upgrade over lance ball.

rcsodak
09-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Giants running back Andre Brown could miss season opener with turf toe
Published: Friday, September 03, 2010, 6:45 AM Updated: Friday, September 03, 2010, 10:54 AM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Follow
Share this story
Story tools
brown090210.jpgJim O'Connor/US PresswireGiants running back and kick returner Andre Brown is expected to miss about two weeks with turf toe, meaning he's likely out for the season opener against the Panthers.
0Share

Andre Brown battled all the way back from an torn Achilles tendon to be on the field this summer. But this week, a bout of turf toe prevented him from playing the final preseason game Thursday night against the Patriots.

And it might knock him out for the regular-season opener.

“I know it’s a preseason game, but I love the game and I love football,” the Giants’ second-year running back said. “I wanted to be out there with the guys.”

Brown said one of his teammates fell on his foot at the end of one of his runs during practice. He’s in a walking boot the doctors have told him to wear all day.

Brown said he’s expected to miss about two weeks, which would keep him out of the game against the Panthers on Sept. 12. He’s holding out hope he’ll recover in time, though he realizes he’s already missed plenty by sitting out against New England.

“I probably would have gotten a lot more reps this game and that’s something I needed headed into the regular season,” said Brown, who rushed for 95 yards on 21 carries this preseason. “A lot more reps and I probably would have gotten back on kickoff returns.

“I missed a lot more of the learning curve I could have had going into the regular season. But it is what it is. I take it as it comes.”

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/05/broncos-claim-rb-andre-brown/5010/

Given the thin nature injuries to Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter created at its running back position, it’s no surprise the Broncos went to the waiver wire loaded with talent Saturday night in search of a tailback.

They found one in Andre Brown, whose inability to stay healthy led to the New York Giants cutting him. Brown has talent _ he was a fourth-round draft pick out of North Carolina State in 2009 and had gained 95 yards on 21 carries in the preseason that was cut short by a bad case of turf toe.

Brown missed all of last season after suffering a rupture Achilles tendon. The toe injury is expected to sideline him through the Broncos’ opener next Sunday in Jacksonville.

At 6-foot, 224 pounds, Brown would become the biggest of the Broncos’ tailbacks.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Andre Brown battled all the way back from an torn Achilles tendon to be on the field this summer. But this week, a bout of turf toe prevented him from playing the final preseason game Thursday night against the Patriots.

And it might knock him out for the regular-season opener.

Brown said one of his teammates fell on his foot at the end of one of his runs during practice. He’s in a walking boot the doctors have told him to wear all day.

So, we took another guy with a foot injury... why again? Don't we already have enough nicked up guys on this squad already? I can think of at least a few RBs that were cut that aren't starting behind the 8 ball with a pre-existing injury. Drafting Thomas and Decker was one thing because both were expected to be fully healed by week 1, but signing guys cut from other teams that are injured just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I really hope Knowshon can stay healthy or we're screwed. Buck WILL get hurt again and Ball/Hall really aren't NFL caliber guys, IMO.

Dean
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Ironically, Brown has just recovered from a torn achilles (sound familiar?).

It's beginning to seem the Broncos have an affinity for players with foot injuries . . . :confused:

-----

Let's see if I have this right. You're saying that McD has a foot fetish?:rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Doesn't mean he will make the team, doesn't mean the Broncos aren't shopping someone for a trade, we just picked him up.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I was a big andre brown fan when he came out of collge, but my expectations are low, dude is coming off achilles injury and me thinks if we was 100% he would still be a giant....who knows though.....i like him better than bruce hall.....

atwater27
09-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Good pickup. Throw the playbook at him, rest his turf toe up, and keep him fresh for the seemingly inevitable Broncos midseason RB injury demolition derby.

pnbronco
09-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Carol I think they added this to your article, for those wondering about Hall:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/05/broncos-claim-rb-andre-brown/5010/

To make room for Brown, the Broncos waived No. 4 tailback Bruce Hall to their practice squad. Hall spent the previous two seasons on Buffalo’s practice squad.

Northman
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey Carol I think they added this to your article, for those wondering about Hall:

To make room for Brown, the Broncos waived No. 4 tailback Bruce Hall to their practice squad. Hall spent the previous two seasons on Buffalo’s practice squad.

Good. At least Lance is still here.

TimTebow15MVP
09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
bruce hall is solid depth, so is brown, niether are anything special. but brown is a good good power back. we needed one of those since lendale white is gone.

broncofaninfla
09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Brown will have to heal up soon. Buck is sure to be injured by week 2 and Moreno is still gimpy. Ball might just be our best answer at RB for the first two games. Can't say that gives me a rosy feeling at all. With Buck and Morenos history of injuries I'm still floored Xanders and Mcd did nothing to improve our rb situation. Our running game was putrid last season and doesn't look any better right now. Denver signed two out of shape vets only after moreno and buck went down.

honz
09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Moreno played all 16 games last year, didn't he?

Dean
09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Moreno played all 16 games last year, didn't he?

He was present in the last four but I think you are giving too much credit for 'playing" his last four games. He had 65 carries for 173 total yards which works out to 43.3 yards per game and a 2.7 yards per carry average.

honz
09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
He was present in the last four but I think you are giving too much credit for 'playing" his last four games. He had 65 carries for 173 total yards which works out to 43.3 yards per game and a 2.7 yards per carry average.

Yeah, he definitely sucked in our final few games, but so did most of our team. I try to block our late season collapses out. :lol:

JDL
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Liked Brown a lot coming out... only concern is that he is a little loose with the ball. Actually had two fumbles this preseason (1 happened just as he crossed the goaline which still raises eyebrows) - you don't ever want to see your RB putting the ball on the ground, whether already in the endzone or knee down... you want to see it secured all the way through the action and when Brown leaves his feet the ball often gets away from his body and he leaves his feet quite a bit. That's the downside, the upside is that he is a very well-rounded back and intriguing player if healthy now.

dogfish
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM

thanks a lot for posting that, dean, i'm sure we all appreciate the reminder. . . . :lol:

:fear: