PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Ayers planning to shine

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15995843?source=rss

Former first-round pick knows he can't have repeat of zero-sack rookie season

There are many who believe Robert Ayers absolutely has to have a huge season for the Broncos.

They believe Ayers must be the kind of pass rusher who is selected in the first round of the NFL draft, that he can't go another year with that glaring zero in the sack column, staring back at him and everyone else like an unblinking Cyclops.

Well, get in line behind Ayers, because as he approaches the start of a regular season in which he must be an impact player for the Broncos, he has already beaten you to all of the expectations.

"I know that," Ayers said. "I do. I don't want to be just out there, and sometimes I look at what I did last year and I was just out there. I say that wasn't me all the time. . . . I have to make sure it wasn't me. You know, prove it."

Some folks take a step back before they review what they have done. Perhaps they concoct an excuse or two, maybe find someone who will tell them what they want to hear.

Ayers? He prefers to barge into self-examination, pounding away like it's a heavy bag.

"I said it (after the Aug. 29 preseason game against the Steelers)," Ayers said. "I want to be great. There's a lot of guys who are good players, a lot of guys that are decent players — they're around for a while and then they're not around — but I want to be great. That's what I expect of myself.

"If I don't make it, that's just how it is. But if you don't try, you should get out now."

With star pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, last year's NFL sack champion, out for the season after surgery to repair a chest muscle, Ayers is the most likely to fill the significant void. Ayers finished the preseason with 2 1/2 sacks in limited duty.

He's big (6-feet-3 and 274 pounds), quick and plays with the kind of edge successful pass rushers have — grinding away until they break through and get to the quarterback.

Dumervil has called it "that 'want-to' to get the quarterback."

"It might take you all day to set up the one time you get to the quarterback and knock the ball out and change the game," Dumervil said. "But you can't give up, no matter how many guys hit you, no matter how many plays you don't get there. I think Robert has that. He just has to get a few (sacks) and then they'll come."

Broncos offensive tackle Ryan Harris has locked up with Ayers often in practices.

"(Ayers has) definitely worked hard, and it's good for me to go against somebody who's driven like that in practice because he just keeps things fresh and keeps things competitive," Harris said. "He was very competitive through camp, and I think it shows in the way he's been playing."

NFL scouts say Ayers was too often caught in traffic last season, engaging blockers but not shedding them.

Ayers was lauded for his awareness on the field as a senior at Tennessee, but he seemed to get frustrated in a position switch from defensive end to linebacker as an NFL rookie last year.

"That's true," Ayers said. "I didn't make enough plays. I have to play my assignments and when I get a chance, make those plays we have to make. I know I'm better than that."

The Broncos have talked about how aggressive they're going to be on defense once the regular season opens at Jacksonville.

They did not show much during the preseason, so at least part of the box can be opened against the Jaguars next Sunday.

"I'm not going to make a big deal out of (the preseason)," Ayers said. "When I've been around a long time and made a lot of plays, then we'll talk about it. Talking is just talking. I want to be the guy who does things."

atwater27
09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I plan to shine as well.

topscribe
09-05-2010, 12:38 PM
If Ayers does get with it, it couldn't come at a better time . . .

-----

dogfish
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
so he's gone from "wanting to dominate" to "planning to shine?"

topscribe
09-05-2010, 02:06 PM
so he's gone from "wanting to dominate" to "planning to shine?"

Woody once explained to me that the writers of the articles and columns don't
ordinarily make up the headlines - that is done by a different part of the staff.

What Ayers himself actually said was, "I want to be the guy who does things."
Now, that, I do like . . .

-----

Bosco
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
If Ayers does get with it, it couldn't come at a better time . . .

-----

He's looked very impressive this preseason.

turftoad
09-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, he basically said himself that talk is cheap. It's time for him to step up. The team needs him to.

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
If we're going to have any semblance of a pass rush he has to step up as does Moss. Hopefully with what we saw out of Mays preseason maybe he can give us strong contribution as well.

Back to Ayers for a moment. Maybe I've missed but I haven't seen Ayers use any other moves to get to the quarterback accept a bull rush. I concerned that may not be enough for him make an significant impact on the pass rush.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
If we're going to have any semblance of a pass rush he has to step up as does Moss. Hopefully with what we saw out of Mays preseason maybe he can give us strong contribution as well.

Back to Ayers for a moment. Maybe I've missed but I haven't seen Ayers use any other moves to get to the quarterback accept a bull rush. I concerned that may not be enough for him make an significant impact on the pass rush.

a couple times ayers used his bull rush to power through 2 guys and get pressure..his bull rush is pretty good.... and he actually saw double teams quite a bit....but on one of his sacks he did actually use a nasty spin move...so who knwos maybe he is working on his skills.....

TimTebow15MVP
09-05-2010, 05:40 PM

you just gotta pay attention and watch the player and not the play if you want to evaluate a player. when im watching the games live im watching the play itself. when i rewatchthe game im watching individuals. robert ayers has 3-4 moves. the bull rush, the spin, the double spin and the shoulder dip.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Once again a player wants to improve, states it, has a good preseason after a lack luster first season in a new position.

I see nothing wrong with any of that.

Hopefully he will have a great year to help the D gets better.

As long as he improves and like he said that it may take all game to set someone up to FF or get a sack that works for me.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums