broncobryce
09-04-2010, 02:48 PM
For Dan Gronkowsk. Who?

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I think Shefter spelled it wrong. Dan Gronkowski, TE

dogfish
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
is he rob's slow, stupid older brother or something?

:lol:

edit: i was hoping we could get a draft pick. . .

Tempus Fugit
09-04-2010, 02:52 PM
From what I've read at one site, there's also a pick going along with Gronkowski.

I've not seen the pick mentioned anywhere else, though.

Northman
09-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Need i say more. Called it.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Looks like it really is his brother, Dog.

honz
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
We get Gronkowski and a pick, according to Michael Lombardi. Syd'Quan is popping open the champagne as we speak.

dogfish
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
hmmm. . .

7th round pick last year with one career catch. . . obviously he must block like an offensive tackle also. . .

spikerman
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
So now Denver has 3 TEs who don't catch the ball?

Bosco
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Works out well. Lions have surplus of receiving tight ends, need corners. We have a surplus of corners, need a receiving tight end.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 02:57 PM
He had a good preseason according to what I read. Hopefully he can help us.

honz
Check out those locks!

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2009+NFL+Scouting+Combine+Day+3+DF3TmMROK_el.jpg

Northman
Check out those locks!

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2009+NFL+Scouting+Combine+Day+3+DF3TmMROK_el.jpg

Van Pelt? :lol:

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
So now Denver has 3 TEs who don't catch the ball?

Graham catches the ball fairly well I would say.

WARHORSE
09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
For Dan Gronkowsk. Who?

I like it alot.

Gronkowski did really well this year. Hes a TE.

With Scheff and the other big rookie in Detroit, they could afford to let the guy go.

Win win situation imo.

With Bransons injury, we needed this. Welcome to being a winner Gronkowki.:salute:

BeefStew25
We should have got Scheffler back.

honz
hmmm. . .

7th round pick last year with one career catch. . . obviously he must block like an offensive tackle also. . .
Supposedly he was on the practice squad most of last year. 7 catches for 80 yards this preseason.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 03:02 PM
His brother plays for the Pats. Bring on the jokes.

Tempus Fugit
09-04-2010, 03:03 PM

His brother's a hell of a prospect.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Should have traded Phonz for Jay Cutler, Mike shanahan, and Brandon Marshall. Please. :lol:

muse
09-04-2010, 03:05 PM
This raises a possibility in my head - maybe it's a sign that the FO is close to reaching an agreement to an extension with Champ? Maybe Champ being resigned hinged on the development of Smith?

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 03:06 PM

I wonder what it would have taken to get him back. It isn't like he's going to be playing much this year in Detroit.

dogfish
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Looks like it really is his brother, Dog.

LMAO

mcD was jealous belly had a gronkowski, he had to have one too! in typical mchoodie fashion, he got the 7th rounder while belly got the 2nd rounder. . .

that about cover it?

Northman
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Could you have imagined how pissed Sheff would be if McD had brought him back. :lol:

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM
This raises a possibility in my head - maybe it's a sign that the FO is close to reaching an agreement to an extension with Champ? Maybe Champ being resigned hinged on the development of Smith?

No, Thompson and Cox are just much better players.

honz
09-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I think it simply means the FO wasn't happy with how he was playing and think that Syd'Quan may prove to be the better player in the long run. I didn't think Phonz had been as bad as many were saying, but he had certainly been disappointing for a 2nd round pick. We should have taken my boy Sean Smith!

I guess the good thing is that McD isn't lying about everyone having a chance to earn a place on the roster...would have been easy for him to save face and keep Phonz over a 7th rounder.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 03:12 PM

He's the brother of the Pats place kicker?

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
He's the brother of the Pats place kicker?

He's the older brother of the Patriots stud rookie TE.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 03:17 PM
LMAO

mcD was jealous belly had a gronkowski, he had to have one too! in typical mchoodie fashion, he got the 7th rounder while belly got the 2nd rounder. . .

that about cover it?

i have to ask, do you actually believe these things or is this humor that isn't communicated very well?

Bosco
09-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Could you have imagined how pissed Sheff would be if McD had brought him back. :lol:

For that alone it would have been worth it.

honz
09-04-2010, 03:18 PM
i have to ask, do you actually believe these things or is this humor that isn't communicated very well?
I mean dog ain't the brightest guy I know, but c'mon man! :lol:

Just Josh McDanielsing you, dog.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 03:19 PM

I picked up on the humor right away.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
i'm not excusing the waste that was the alphonso smith draft process, it was terrible.

but looking at the cuts from around the league reminds us how many bad draft picks are made every year; how many first, second and third round picks are now looking for work with little interest in their "talents".

fans LOVE to crucify coaches/gms for poor draft picks, but it's not an easy science to figure out - despite what y'all think.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I picked up on the humor right away.

humor will always be subjective.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Check out those locks!

brady quinn is gonna be soooooooo jealous:laugh:

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
brady quinn is gonna be soooooooo jealous:laugh:

Or he could be reeeealllllllyyyy happy! :D

honz
09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Or he could be reeeealllllllyyyy happy! :D
lulz

atwater27
09-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I wonder what it would have taken to get him back. It isn't like he's going to be playing much this year in Detroit.

Are you serious? They love him over there. He and Staffy are going to get along juuuust fine. You'll see. Oh, that's right, players magically lose their talent and suck the second they leave Stapleton airport. :tsk:

honz
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Are you serious? They love him over there. He and Staffy are going to get along juuuust fine. You'll see. Oh, that's right, players magically lose their talent and suck the second they leave Stapleton airport. :tsk:
I said it the day he was traded: "Tony Scheffler sucks and I never liked him."

We have no need for quittersons on this roster.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I said it the day he was traded: "Tony Scheffler sucks and I never liked him."

We have no need for quittersons on this roster.

We have no need for young punk head coaches with no people skills pissing in everyone's cornflakes and pushing our talent away. But, you know, tomato tomaato.:salute:

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM

LoL He's not playing ahead of Pettigrew, and Detroit is a 3WR/1TE set team.

He'll be a good package player, along with 100's of other football players in the NFL. Nothing more nothing less.

honz
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Seems like the non-douchebags like him just fine...Champ, Dawkins, Doom, Royal, etc.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
LoL He's not playing ahead of Pettigrew, and Detroit is a 3WR/1TE set team.

He'll be a good package player, along with 100's of other football players in the NFL. Nothing more nothing less.

Don't worry little lol'er. You'll see.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Seems like the non-douchebags like him just fine...Champ, Dawkins, Doom, Royal, etc.

how old are you? 2?

honz
09-04-2010, 03:56 PM
how old are you? 2?

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
For Dan Gronkowsk. Who?

OK you've really on top of these things today Bryce. I curious do you have pictures of McDaniels and Bowlen in compromising positions with some hotties?

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't worry little lol'er. You'll see.

I've seen. I've seen him flourish in the same system that turned TE juggernaut Jeb Putzier, a guy that couldn't make another NFL roster, a starter.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I've seen. I've seen him flourish in the same system that turned TE juggernaut Jeb Putzier, a guy that couldn't make another NFL roster, a starter.

I think Putz played for the Texans for a year.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I think Putz played for the Texans for a year.

Yes, and then got cut the following year. It was the same TE friendly system, and Kubiack brought in 3 the following year who were all better than him.

LRtagger
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
fans LOVE to crucify coaches/gms for poor draft picks, but it's not an easy science to figure out - despite what y'all think.

The genius Parcells just cut his 2009 second round pick. At least we got compensation I guess.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
OK you've really on top of these things today Bryce. I curious do you have pictures of McDaniels and Bowlen in compromising positions with some hotties?

Mcd is my uncle.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Mcd is my uncle.

who's yer daddy ? oh ....duh that would be ben

Bosco
09-04-2010, 04:28 PM

Daniel Graham too.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 04:58 PM
"The BIG Bronkowski"...official nickname copyright T.K.O.:laugh:

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/04/2010 02:39:40 PM MDTUpdated: 09/04/2010 02:45:55 PM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0904/20100904__98967390LH017_CLEVELAND_BRO~p1_200.jpg

Former Lions tight end Dan Gronkowski catches a short pass in the fourth quarter during a preseason game last week against the Browns. The Broncos traded for the pass-catching tight end today in exchange for disappointing cornerback Alphonso Smith. (Getty Images North America | Leon Halip)The Broncos used disappointing cornerback Alphonso Smith to fill a need at tight end by acquiring Dan Gronkowski from the Detroit Lions today.

Besides Gronkowski, who had seven catches for 80 yards during the Lions' preseason, the Broncos will get a late-round draft pick in exchange for Smith.

Considering that the Broncos traded away a 2010 first-round draft pick in order to move up in the second round to select Smith in the 2009 draft, the former Wake Forest product was a major disappointment.

However, talks that Smith was a colossal bust must be tempered by the fact the Broncos exchanged him for a receiving tight end. Gronkowski is expected to replace Marquez Branson as the Broncos' top receiving threat, a position filled by Tony Scheffler the three previous years.

Scheffler was traded to the Lions in April.

Dan Gronkowski, 25, was drafted in the seventh round by the Lions in 2009. His younger brother Rob Gronkowski, is a tight end who was drafted in the second round this year by the New England Patriots.

Read more: Broncos trade CB Alphonso Smith to Detroit for TE Gronkowski - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15993935#ixzz0ybI76g1u

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 04:59 PM
wow.. go figure that we trade for a player that has some kind of ties to the NE patriots :lol:

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 05:01 PM
wow.. go figure that we trade for a player that has some kind of ties to the NE patriots :lol:

You're late to THAT party.

Nomad
09-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I wish Smith the best of luck because I believe the Lions dline will do him some favors!!

I hope this TE works out for us!!

Softskull
09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Ironic, this new TE was Sheffler's back up.

I think this is good for Phonz. He goes to a team that's developing its defense so he'll have time to learn his craft. I always wondered with Smith's quickness if he'd be better on turf like he had at Wake Forest. Maybe things work out for him in the dome.

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
You're late to THAT party.

True... a bit late.. but..... still true :D

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
True... a bit late.. but..... still true :D

and kevin bacon was once at a football game where bill belichic was an assistant ........:D

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 05:40 PM
and kevin bacon was once at a football game where bill belichic was an assistant ........:D

Say what you will. But now McD doesn't just get to wear a sweatshirt like Belly, he now gets to say he has a TE with the exact same last name, and shared DNA, as Belicheck. You know thats just a wet dream come true!! :lol:

spikerman
09-04-2010, 06:59 PM
For what it's worth, both Bill Williamson and the NFC North ESPN beat writer think the Lions got the better end of the deal. I believe the NFC North writer actually called it a "swindle".

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/15739/another-something-for-nothing-in-detroit

jhildebrand
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
For what it's worth, both Bill Williamson and the NFC North ESPN beat writer think the Lions got the better end of the deal. I believe the NFC North writer actually called it a "swindle".

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/15739/another-something-for-nothing-in-detroit

Wow! It should be too! When you trade what is basically a 1st round pick for what was a 7th rounder from the same season, that doesnt go over to well.

Was there a pick too? I sure hope a decent one at least a 6th.

Gotta give McD credit. He got rid of his bust in no time. Jarvis Moss however was given much more leniency!

claymore
09-04-2010, 07:10 PM
McD is an effin moron. Id rather have Sheffler and the 14th overall pick.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Terrible trade. We don't need another crappy TE.

The Lions should write McD a thank you card for the gift he just gave them.

spikerman
09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
McDaniels should just give an 80-something number to an offensive tackle if he wants to stockpile blocking tight ends who don't catch. There are plenty of them around.

If this guy turns out to be a bust (and I hope he doesn't) I wonder who will emerge as the person who talked McDaniels into this deal.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
The Dolphins cut their 2nd and 3rd round pick from last year. Is Parcell's a moron too? He made a mistake by trading up to get Smith. We know that. Instead of straight up cutting him he got what he could. I know that's not good enough for some, but deal with it. Or cry about it from now until the end of time.

claymore
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
The Dolphins cut their 2nd and 3rd round pick from last year. Is Parcell's a moron too? He made a mistake by trading up to get Smith. We know that. Instead of straight up cutting him he got what he could. I know that's not good enough for some, but deal with it. Or cry about it from now until the end of time.

Parcells would only be an idiot if he traded a future first round pick for a 2nd round pick in his first year with an organization that he was admittedly not prepared for in the draft.

Then trade that player for an unproven player that is similar to another that was just traded.

Write it up as a mistake, and everyone does it etc... But noone does it that bad.

McD is a tool. I will apologize to him when some of his off the wall decisions wins us playoff games, and when his draft picks go to the probowl.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Parcells would only be an idiot if he traded a future first round pick for a 2nd round pick in his first year with an organization that he was admittedly not prepared for in the draft.

Then trade that player for an unproven player that is similar to another that was just traded.

Write it up as a mistake, and everyone does it etc... But noone does it that bad.

McD is a tool. I will apologize to him when some of his off the wall decisions wins us playoff games, and when his draft picks go to the probowl.

I second this numerous times.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 07:41 PM
McDaniels should just give an 80-something number to an offensive tackle if he wants to stockpile blocking tight ends who don't catch. There are plenty of them around.

If this guy turns out to be a bust (and I hope he doesn't) I wonder who will emerge as the person who talked McDaniels into this deal.

it was clay !

claymore
09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
it was clay !

Id probably get arrested if they let me talk to McD in person! :D

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Id probably get arrested if they let me talk to McD in person! :D

go for it...your probably gonna be arrested for something anyway,you might as well enjoy it !:laugh:

claymore
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
go for it...your probably gonna be arrested for something anyway,you might as well enjoy it !:laugh:

Wouldnt be the first time. :( We've all been there. (Except Carol, she is a saint)

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Wouldnt be the first time. :( We've all been there. (Except Carol, she is a saint)

i got arrested after a fight at a bar in denver about 20 years ago,told the cop on the way to the jail that i was leaving town in a couple days and would'nt show up at court anyway.
he said no biggie,was very nice and threw me in the drunk tank anyway:mad::beer:
but i have dedicated my life to being more like carol ever since,i only get speeding tickets now

Bosco
09-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Do we really need to start trotting out the "Mike Shanahan's Top Ten Draft Day **** Ups List" again? Because that's where this is headed.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Do we really need to start trotting out the "Mike Shanahan's Top Ten Draft Day **** Ups List" again? Because that's where this is headed.

what is George Foster doing these days anyway ?:confused:;)

Bosco
09-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Among many others.

WARHORSE
09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
McD is an effin moron. Id rather have Sheffler and the 14th overall pick.

Scheffler is a diapered crybaby why would we want him?

McD is a draft genius.

He picked three corners in draft day steals that outplayed a second rounder from the year before.:coffee:

And everyone knows there was a good chance we would cut him, so anything we get is good to go, at least we didnt cut him outright.

Besides.

We drafted Tim Tebow, and that means McD is a bonified draft day McGuru.
:salute::salute::salute:

So put that in yer pipe and smoke it. ;)

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Half the people criticizing McD for this trade were calling for Phonz to be cut for weeks. Make up your minds people. And at least try to keep your anti-McD arguments straight.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM

McD is a draft genius.

He picked three corners in draft day steals that outplayed a second rounder from the year before.:coffee:

And everyone knows there was a good chance we would cut him, so anything we get is good to go, at least we didnt cut him outright.

Besides.

McD did'nt draft Tebow.....TEBOW drafted McD !

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm concerned that he actually believes what he wrote in that post.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm concerned that he actually believes what he wrote in that post.

the dark side is strong with this one........walk towards the light rav !

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 08:26 PM

He's more talented than any TE on our roster. And he's a crybaby just because he didn't like McD? That's lol worthy.

McD is a draft genius.

We used a first round pick on Smith, not a second. And that's funny that you call him a genius for picking two corners this year after he already used a first round pick on one last year. To think that makes him a genius is illogical.

We really didn't get anything for him. Is it confirmed that we got a draft pick? Because if not, Gronkowski is nothing...

Besides.

You're not making him look any better, sorry.

At least you're willing to share whatever it is that's distorting your senses like that...

Half the people criticizing McD for this trade were calling for Phonz to be cut for weeks. Make up your minds people. And at least try to keep your anti-McD arguments straight.

I hated the Smith pick, but I've been saying we should cut/trade Nate Jones and give Smith another year. And besides, what we got in return for Smith isn't worth a damn thing.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
don't be talkin' bout Bronkowski like dat !:mad:

LRtagger
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM

What will be funny is if Smith plays well in Det they will be saying McD was a dumbass for trading away a talented corner for peanuts.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I hated the Smith pick, but I've been saying we should cut/trade Nate Jones and give Smith another year. And besides, what we got in return for Smith isn't worth a damn thing.

Yeah, but what DO you like?

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Hating on anything and everything that has to do with the Broncos.

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
What will be funny is if Smith plays well in Det they will be saying McD was a dumbass for trading away a talented corner for peanuts.

No doubt. Hard to take some people seriously when they constantly flip flop on their stances in order to put McD in the worst light possible.

LordTrychon
09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
No doubt. Hard to take some people seriously when they constantly flip flop on their stances in order to put McD in the worst light possible.

That's not what you said the other day....

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
We really didn't get anything for him. Is it confirmed that we got a draft pick? Because if not, Gronkowski is nothing...

NFL.com is reporting an "undisclosed" draft pick. Probably a 6th or 7th rounder I'd imagine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a45f71/article/broncos-lions-swap-secondyear-pros-smith-gronkowski

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Winning. Specifically in the playoffs. And I feel that McD hurts our chances of doing that considerably.

EMB6903
09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Winning. Specifically in the playoffs. And I feel that McD hurts our chances of doing that considerably.

And why is that?

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 08:43 PM
NFL.com is reporting an "undisclosed" draft pick. Probably a 6th or 7th rounder I'd imagine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a45f71/article/broncos-lions-swap-secondyear-pros-smith-gronkowski

That's a little better, but I would have been happier with a 4th or 5th round pick instead of a tight end that more than likely won't ever log a stat for us.

Hating on anything and everything that has to do with Josh McDouchebag.

Fixed for accuracy.

I've never flip flopped a stance. Smith was a bad pick made worse by a bad trade.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
And why is that?

Well considering I haven't agreed with anything he's done so far, it's only natural to come to the conclusion that repeated bad moves won't lead to winning.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Well considering I haven't agreed with anything he's done so far, it's only natural to come to the conclusion that repeated bad moves won't lead to winning.

don't care for guys like Dawkins ?:confused:

Bosco
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hating on anything and everything that has to do with the Broncos.

Yeah, this guy is to Josh McDaniels what Rush Limbaugh is to President Obama.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Then you should love Tebow. All he does is win. :coffee:

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
don't care for guys like Dawkins ?:confused:

What does Dawkins have to do with McD? Dawkins signed with us because we offered him a longer contract than the Eagles were willing to.

If you're going to defend the Smith trade, then you're nothing but a blind McD apologist. You were defending Smith all week and talking about how impressed you were with him. And now all of a sudden you change your stance and support trading him?

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Sorry, let me specify. I only care about the Broncos winning games, not the Gators. I don't believe Tebow will be able to lead an NFL team to wins. He's great for college, not for the NFL.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
If you're going to defend the Smith trade, then you're nothing but a blind McD apologist. You were defending Smith all week and talking about how impressed you were with him. And now all of a sudden you change your stance and support trading him?

Neither one is mutually exclusive, and Smith's improved play is likely what resulted in him having any trade value. Had he been the horrible, gonna get cut soon type player that half the people here were claiming, he would have been unlikely to fetch anything in return.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Neither one is mutually exclusive, and Smith's improved play is likely what resulted in him having any trade value. Had he been the horrible, gonna get cut soon type player that half the people here were claiming, he would have been unlikely to fetch anything in return.

The Lions really only gave up a 7th round pick. They had absolutely no use for Gronkowski, and neither do we.

I have a hard time imagining that you'd like this trade if it wasn't McD doing it...

Northman
09-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Its my fault.

Northman
09-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Well, in a way he would be because he is the one who knows whether or not he got the player he wanted. Just because some of us didnt like what we saw in Smith doesnt mean we know everything about him either. If McD cut him the onus is on him because he would be the one to know right? :lol:

WARHORSE
09-04-2010, 09:50 PM
McD did'nt draft Tebow.....TEBOW drafted McD !

I stand corrected oh Kyle Orton of threadposters!!!!

dogfish
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM

he doesn't like tebow because tebow's too big and strong for the NFL. . . . ;)

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 09:55 PM
he doesn't like tebow because tebow's too big and strong for the NFL. . . . ;)

I was just making a point about his arms, I didn't say it had anything to do with his potential to be successful.

There's many, many reasons as to why I believe he can't be an elite NFL QB...

BeefStew25
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
This is huge. A manager who made a decision, and then realized that decision sucked and is willing to admit that is a big deal.

McD, kudos to you, you arrogant douche bag. Now get to the playoffs, jack off.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a hard time imagining that you'd like this trade if it wasn't McD doing it...

I actually don't like the trade much as it is, but as with everything football related, I put my personal feelings aside and look at it objectively.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
This is huge. A manager who made a decision, and then realized that decision sucked and is willing to admit that is a big deal.

Welcome back Beef. I also glad to see you're rare form almost like you never left. :D

BeefStew25
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Who are you? Do I know you?

scott.475
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM

Whatever it is, I am sure he is moving before the snap...

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 11:32 PM

Stewie!!!! Dude I've miss you and I'm not even drunk.... You're one of the few that pull off a compliment and bitch slap in the same sentence.....:D

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Who are you? Do I know you?

At one time you did.

BeefStew25
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I honestly don't know who you guys are.

Kelly Stouffer is a color guy on VS. Hell is warming up.

TimTebow15MVP
09-04-2010, 11:38 PM
i like this tightend though, i wish smith the best but lets be serious quan and cox are gonna be better than phonso so it makes the shit easier to swallow. Vaughn is also a rookie corner that looks promising so we had to make this move. we were gonna have to cut him, detroit liked him also but they could afford to lose himm also being deep at the tight end position as we were at corner and they are thin at corner. its a win win for both teams. hes a good pass catching tight end.

Mcdaniels wasnt joking when he said nobody is just handed a roster spot. that makes your rookies come in and know they have to give it there all and progress. which is good.

We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds of next years draft.....Which should be exciting because last years draft was awesome. mcdaniels figured out how to work the draft.

could that late round pick we got from detroit be another quan or kirlew? we shall see.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Well they cut kirlew so I hope not lol

D1g1tal j1m
09-04-2010, 11:57 PM
McD admitted in prior interviews that he and his staff were not prepared for the draft last year. They made a mistake in trading away a 1st round pick to get Smith, but they had a guy they liked and traded up to get him. Did they understand the value of the pick they gave up to get Smith, obviously not, but they learned from their mistake. This past draft, they maneuvered around the draft pretty well to get two 1st rounders (they probably would have traded the 14th pick if they had it anyways).
I wish Smith well, it seemed he couldn't live up to the draft pick that was given up for him. His ball hawking skills suffered due to his loss of confidence and the high standards set by Champ and Goodman. Smith is the opposite of those two who are cover corners who play their man first and the ball second.

pnbronco
09-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Nice seeing you here Jim.....

D1g1tal j1m
09-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice seeing you here Jim.....

thanks. didn't have any new pics to post today and then realized there were other sections to this forum....

BeefStew25
09-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Jim. Hope the the fam and camera are doing well.

D1g1tal j1m
09-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey Jim. Hope the the fam and camera are doing well.

Both are doing well.

BeefStew25
09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Both are doing well.

Tuck both in. When USC got their ass handed to them, I thought of you. I love you always.

sneakers
09-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Is Detroit the only team we can trade with?

broncobryce
09-05-2010, 02:58 AM

No.

sneakers
09-05-2010, 04:18 AM
No.

Rhetorical question was rhetorical.

claymore
09-05-2010, 07:19 AM

McD is a draft genius.

Besides.

Everyone that leaves Denver is a crybaby. Still waiting to see the draft genius part. None of McD's guys have looked good in a game tha counts. Except Mcbath... 1 out of 20 something isnt bad though.

EMB6903
09-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Knowshon has definately "showed up" in big games. Im not gonna say he broke out and played great in any of them but I thought he showed up and played against New England, Dallas, and New York...(yes he fumbled) but that doesnt mean he was nowhere to be found, he still made some big runs at key moments. all at the time were all against playoff contenders.

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Well they cut kirlew so I hope not lol

If he's they have plans for putting him on the practice squad as some have suggested they'll have to cut him beforehand.

Northman
09-05-2010, 08:43 AM

There's always Cleveland.

T.K.O.
09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
There's always Cleveland.

that sounds like a Hit song.....:laugh:(a hit in cleveland anyway)

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 09:07 AM
i would have thought people would be glad to see phonz gone, the mere fact we were able to even trade his lame arse is a miracle... how many times did shanny hold on to draft busts and then have to cut them for nothing....quite a bit.....it happens and all coaches make the same mistake MCD did with phonz, i give him props for letting the best players stay and sticking to his philosophy, isntead of what some media or fan hack has to say about the fact we gave up alot to get him.....

what this tells incoming rookies and 2nd year guys now......quinn/ayers cough cough...is that you better perform because you draft status means diddly......

i hated the phonz and quinn picks, and i hated the beadles pick......everything other draft pick i dont have big issues with other than wanting them to improve on what they have done and get healthy.....

really dont see the big MCD conspiracy regarding the draft some seem to see....

atwater27
09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I know it's been posted already, but I just LOVE the wording here. Brutal honesty.

Broncos ditch draft bust Alphonso Smith

Lions acquired CB Alphonso Smith from the Broncos in exchange for TE Dan Gronkowski.

Coach Josh McDaniels deserves another year or two to implement his program in Denver, but the early returns on his draft results aren't pretty. The Broncos traded a first-round pick to grab Smith in the second round last year, and they've now ditched him for a tight end who couldn't make the Lions roster last season. It's a smart move by Detroit, adding an early-round talent to a thin secondary while gambling that they can develop Smith where Denver failed. Sep. 4 - 3:47 pm et
Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter

Northman
09-05-2010, 09:38 AM
But he was playing so well.

atwater27
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM

So you're saying they are both right.:salute:

broncobryce
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I guess we are doomed. Why even play the season?

muse
09-05-2010, 11:52 AM
i hated the phonz and quinn picks, and i hated the beadles pick......everything other draft pick i dont have big issues with other than wanting them to improve on what they have done and get healthy.....

really dont see the big MCD conspiracy regarding the draft some seem to see....

Ultimately, we can't really judge the 09 draft until the later part of next year. It doesn't look great so far, but I'll give McDaniels a pass (considering he didn't have a lot of time to evaluate the board) if his future drafts are more fruitful. With Smith in particular, maybe Nolan really pushed for him? Who knows?

Shanahan's had a lot of bad drafts from 95-04, and looking over his entire tenure, a lot of the players which panned out only did so on other teams. And then there are all of his FA busts (Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener...anyone remember Jed Weaver in 04 who got a not insignificant signing bonus but was cut in favour of Putz). So far, Jarvis Green is the only one I'd put down as an FA bust, and at least it didn't involve breaking someone's face at an IHOP.

Northman
09-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess we are doomed. Why even play the season?

Your right, we should close down this forum immediately.

slim
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it wasn't communicated well :listen:

Tned
09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Ultimately, we can't really judge the 09 draft until the later part of next year. It doesn't look great so far, but I'll give McDaniels a pass (considering he didn't have a lot of time to evaluate the board) if his future drafts are more fruitful. With Smith in particular, maybe Nolan really pushed for him? Who knows?

Shanahan's had a lot of bad drafts from 95-04, and looking over his entire tenure, a lot of the players which panned out only did so on other teams. And then there are all of his FA busts (Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener...anyone remember Jed Weaver in 04 who got a not insignificant signing bonus but was cut in favour of Putz). So far, Jarvis Green is the only one I'd put down as an FA bust, and at least it didn't involve breaking someone's face at an IHOP.

I would probably put Chris Simms in there as well, especially considering how much money he was paid (I believe he was the highest paid 'pure' backup in the NFL).

That said, I think the teams good free agent moves far outweigh the couple bad ones. Jury's still out on the draft picks (outside of trading a first for Smith) and will be for some time.

turftoad
09-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Some draft expert.

We spend a #1 a #2 and whatever else we gave up for Quinn for two blocking TE's. :tsk:

We have three out of ten 2009 draft picks left on the roster. :tsk:

slim
09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Some draft expert.

We spend a #1 a #2 and whatever else we gave up for Quinn for two blocking TE's. :tsk:

It's almost like Ted Sundquist was running the draft.

broncobryce
09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Your right, we should close down this forum immediately.

No, just cancel the season.

atwater27
09-05-2010, 12:02 PM
No, just cancel the season.

No, just shut down the forums.:coffee:

atwater27
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow. Phonzo trade news with extra Brutal...

Alphonso Smith trade embarrasses Denver
September, 4, 2010 Sep 45:40PM ETEmail Print Comments96 By Bill Williamson

What a disaster.

That is the only way to describe the short Alphonso Smith era in Denver.

The Broncos traded the second-year cornerback to Detroit for tight end Dan Gronkowski. He is a former seventh-round pick who was on the Lions’ practice squad for all of two games last year. That is pretty weak compensation for what turned out to be the No. 14 overall pick of the 2010 draft.

Yes, Smith was essentially the No. 14 pick of this draft. On draft night in 2009, Denver fell in love with the small but decorated Smith as he fell out of the first round. Denver apparently stopped the Wake Forest product’s fall at No. 37 when it sent its 2010 first-round pick (which turned out to be No. 14) to Seattle to take Smith. The Seahawks ended up taking safety Earl Thomas with the pick. He was considered a value pick, but the idea of giving up a future No. 1 pick seemed extreme.

Making the decision worse was that Smith never developed. He was twice replaced as the nickel cornerback last year -- including once by an undrafted rookie. Things didn’t get better for Smith this summer as rookies Perrish Cox (fifth-round pick) and Syd'Quan Thompson (seventh-round pick) clearly outplayed him.

The only credit Denver gets in this deal is that it had the guts to admit a major mistake. But that’s it.

The lesson for Denver’s young leadership is that you should never fall in love on draft day. So Smith fell. Big deal. Players fall during every draft. You can’t get everybody, plus, there is always someone else down the road.

Denver traded Smith because they learned Cox and Thompson are better players. It’s a costly lesson to learn.

Also, making this trade a bit embarrassing is that Denver got a tight end who may have been cut in Detroit. One of the reasons why Gronkowski was on the bubble in Detroit was the presence of Tony Scheffler. Yes, the talented player Denver dumped prior to the draft for a late-round pick. Had Scheffler not been traded, Denver wouldn’t need a tight end.

Gronkowski is an interesting prospect, but he can’t be counted on for a big contribution on right away. But today, Gronkowski is Denver’s only consolation for giving up a No. 14 pick.

Brutal.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/16551/alphonso-smith-trade-is-embarrassing-for-denver

muse
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Some draft expert.

What, that's bollocks, we have Moreno, Ayers, McBath, Bruton, Quinn with McKinley on IR. Colquitt was also a UDFA. Seth Olsen/Chris Baker may still make the PS too.

I would probably put Chris Simms in there as well, especially considering how much money he was paid (I believe he was the highest paid 'pure' backup in the NFL).

Thanks for reminding me he exists. Ugh.

Northman
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow. Phonzo trade news with extra Brutal...

Alphonso Smith trade embarrasses Denver
September, 4, 2010 Sep 45:40PM ETEmail Print Comments96 By Bill Williamson

What a disaster.

That is the only way to describe the short Alphonso Smith era in Denver.

The Broncos traded the second-year cornerback to Detroit for tight end Dan Gronkowski. He is a former seventh-round pick who was on the Lions’ practice squad for all of two games last year. That is pretty weak compensation for what turned out to be the No. 14 overall pick of the 2010 draft.

Yes, Smith was essentially the No. 14 pick of this draft. On draft night in 2009, Denver fell in love with the small but decorated Smith as he fell out of the first round. Denver apparently stopped the Wake Forest product’s fall at No. 37 when it sent its 2010 first-round pick (which turned out to be No. 14) to Seattle to take Smith. The Seahawks ended up taking safety Earl Thomas with the pick. He was considered a value pick, but the idea of giving up a future No. 1 pick seemed extreme.

Making the decision worse was that Smith never developed. He was twice replaced as the nickel cornerback last year -- including once by an undrafted rookie. Things didn’t get better for Smith this summer as rookies Perrish Cox (fifth-round pick) and Syd'Quan Thompson (seventh-round pick) clearly outplayed him.

The only credit Denver gets in this deal is that it had the guts to admit a major mistake. But that’s it.

The lesson for Denver’s young leadership is that you should never fall in love on draft day. So Smith fell. Big deal. Players fall during every draft. You can’t get everybody, plus, there is always someone else down the road.

Denver traded Smith because they learned Cox and Thompson are better players. It’s a costly lesson to learn.

Also, making this trade a bit embarrassing is that Denver got a tight end who may have been cut in Detroit. One of the reasons why Gronkowski was on the bubble in Detroit was the presence of Tony Scheffler. Yes, the talented player Denver dumped prior to the draft for a late-round pick. Had Scheffler not been traded, Denver wouldn’t need a tight end.

Gronkowski is an interesting prospect, but he can’t be counted on for a big contribution on right away. But today, Gronkowski is Denver’s only consolation for giving up a No. 14 pick.

Brutal.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/16551/alphonso-smith-trade-is-embarrassing-for-denver

Yea, but when i pointed this out i was told by one particular individual that i shouldnt be taken seriously. Evidently my "objectivity" and "Integrity" on this board came into question when i pointed all this out regarding Smith. :lol:

slim
09-05-2010, 12:35 PM
What, that's bollocks, we have Moreno, Ayers, McBath, Bruton, Quinn with McKinley on IR. Colquitt was also a UDFA. Seth Olsen/Chris Baker may still make the PS too.

Let's not confuse people with facts.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Yea, but when i pointed this out i was told by one particular individual that i shouldnt be taken seriously. Evidently my "objectivity" and "Integrity" on this board came into question when i pointed all this out regarding Smith. :lol:

You can't help but laugh at the fact that we traded away a corner to Detroit for a TE shortly after trading a TE to Detroit. Not only that, the TE we are getting isn't nearly as good as the one we traded away (but then, same could be said for the WR position. Wasn't the first thing McD said about the WR we drafted in the 1st was that he "reminded him of Marshall?")

Oh well. This TE isn't really anything we should be expecting much from. So its a trade for a player that probably won't see the field for a player that probably wouldn't see the field.

turftoad
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm right with ya buddy.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
A UFDA isn't a draft pick..... just to throw that out there.

Slick
09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
5 wins.

2 clicks.

sneakers
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I sense Black Hole potential in this thread.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/files/2008/11/lolcat_blackhole.jpg

SOCALORADO.
09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Late to this party. Never post on the weekends.
Good trade. Getting anything for Lil Alphie was good.
Huge bust, but MCD made the best of it.
Glad Alphie is gone, he was only getting to become an
issue for the team.
Now the secondary knows there places, and DEN can
move forward. Both Squid and Cox are great up and coming
players who can develop behing Goody and Champ. We'll see!

TXBRONC
09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Late to this party. Never post on the weekends.
Good trade. Getting anything for Lil Alphie was good.
Huge bust, but MCD made the best of it.
Glad Alphie is gone, he was only getting to become an
issue for the team.
Now the secondary knows there places, and DEN can
move forward. Both Squid and Cox are great up and coming
players who can develop behing Goody and Champ. We'll see!

I posted this in the other Alphonso Smith thread and figured it I might as well put here as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16001598

Analysis: Broncos gambled and lost on cornerback Smith
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Of all the adjustments the Broncos made to their roster in recent days, none was discussed more by folks in the NFL than the decision to send cornerback Alphonso Smith on his way.

The Broncos traded Smith to the Lions on Saturday for tight end Dan Gronkowski.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels rolled the dice in the 2009 draft to acquire Smith, a former Wake Forest star who has yet to play to the NFL level many teams, including the Broncos, believed he could reach. The Broncos traded a first-round pick in the 2010 draft to move up in the second round last year and select Smith.

Now they have shipped out Smith for a tight end projected to have a receiving role. Gronkowski, who has one catch in two games in his NFL career, had two stints on the Lions' practice squad last season as a rookie.

Some NFL scouts believed the 5-foot-9 Smith would always have trouble playing in a league in which the wide receivers seem to be getting bigger all the time. I thought the skills he had shown in college — he set an Atlantic Coast Conference record for career interceptions (21) — would translate to the NFL and he could have impact as a starter.

I ranked him 18th in my top 100 prospects before the 2009 draft and had about as many teams tell me that was a nice projection as told me it was way too high.

But in his time with the Broncos, whether he couldn't adjust to expectations or criticism, or didn't work as hard as he needed to, Smith never played with the confidence he had once shown — even in practice.

Rarely did he challenge wide receivers as he did at Wake Forest, battling for the ball. Perhaps he was worried about making mistakes, but Smith always said he wasn't worried and didn't lose confidence. Perhaps he found himself behind the likes of Champ Bailey and André Goodman and saw a long road to the starting lineup on Denver's defense.

Long before Saturday's trade, there were large signs the Broncos were ready to move on without Smith. They signed Nate Jones in free agency, basically to play the position Smith was projected to play. Then the Broncos selected Oklahoma State cornerback Perrish Cox in the April draft, taking a chance on a player who had been suspended for his final college game and was not allowed to participate in his school's pro day. The Broncos used another draft pick on Syd'Quan Thompson, a cornerback.

If the Broncos made a mistake believing Smith could become a starter, they made a bigger one with the trade they pulled off to acquire him. Teams should always think twice about trading a first-round pick, especially if they're doing it to move up in any round that's not the first round.

It's difficult to make that add up on a draft chart, and this one didn't add up on the one most teams use on draft day. First-round picks are premium picks and most NFL personnel folks believe they should be handled with care.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

arapaho2
09-06-2010, 07:29 PM
We have no need for young punk head coaches with no people skills pissing in everyone's cornflakes and pushing our talent away. But, you know, tomato tomaato.:salute:

so we trade a 2010 1st rnd pick...turned out to be the 14th ...for a 2009 2nd rnd pick in which we selected phonse...

this year we decide we dont need a pass catching TE...so we trade him to detroit...who despite having gronkowski on the roster felt they needed a better option

we then trade phonse who cost us the 14th overall pick...to detroit for gronkowski a former 7th rnder..who couldnt beat out scheffler, the guy we sent over there

so basicaly we spent the equivelent of the 14th overall pick on gronkowski

seems to me a smarter coach woulda kept scheffler and the 14th pick

but joshy knows best

Northman
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess "Joshy" is in full swing now. lol

JDL
09-06-2010, 07:36 PM
so we trade a 2010 1st rnd pick...turned out to be the 14th ...for a 2009 2nd rnd pick in which we selected phonse...

this year we decide we dont need a pass catching TE...so we trade him to detroit...who despite having gronkowski on the roster felt they needed a better option

we then trade phonse who cost us the 14th overall pick...to detroit for gronkowski a former 7th rnder..who couldnt beat out scheffler, the guy we sent over there

so basicaly we spent the equivelent of the 14th overall pick on gronkowski

seems to me a smarter coach woulda kept scheffler and the 14th pick

but joshy knows best

Good post, but Scheffler wasn't dropped because we thought we didn't need a pass catching TE, he was dropped because McD didn't like him, he never liked Stokely after he went to bat for Denver's former LS, (Scheff was part of that do not forget), Hillis was not liked, Cutler's ego and McD's ego couldn't co-exist... and Marshall wasn't unliked so much as he was a distraction. McD is trying to be and thinks he is Bill Parcells... this is very atypical of these types of coaches... they will do a lot of things that may hurt the overall talent of the team in the desire to get 'their' guys on the team... to make it so they have total control of the team... sometimes it works - sometimes... it is just a horrid disaster. We are waiting to see on McD

dunk7
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Good post, but Scheffler wasn't dropped because we thought we didn't need a pass catching TE, he was dropped because McD didn't like him, he never liked Stokely after he went to bat for Denver's former LS, (Scheff was part of that do not forget), Hillis was not liked, Cutler's ego and McD's ego couldn't co-exist... and Marshall wasn't unliked so much as he was a distraction. McD is trying to be and thinks he is Bill Parcells... this is very atypical of these types of coaches... they will do a lot of things that may hurt the overall talent of the team in the desire to get 'their' guys on the team... to make it so they have total control of the team... sometimes it works - sometimes... it is just a horrid disaster. We are waiting to see on McD

You wouldn't think a coach so young would behave like this but I guess its a sign of his immaturity. I think the league might have learned a lesson after last year (Morris, Haley and McDLT). I think all of the coaches hired this year are all older seasoned coaches