View Full Version : Stokley cut

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 12:45 PM
from l jones' twitter:

#Broncos Blog: Jarvis Green; Stokley cut http://dpo.st/9VIIMS

any bets stokley ends up in washington?

turftoad
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Thats to bad, I like the guy. Hope he gets picked up by someone that can use him.

Northman
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I expected it. His age and the injury caught up with him. Too many young talented guys there to simple hold a spot for him. I thank him for his services though.

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I have seen this coming since early in camp. Very classy guy and team player though and I hope he catches on somewhere else. Like North said, just too many good young players to keep him on the team.

red98
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
from l jones' twitter:

#Broncos Blog: Jarvis Green; Stokley cut http://dpo.st/9VIIMS

any bets stokley ends up in washington?

I could see that happening. They aren't exactly stacked at WR over there and he knows shanny's system.

broncophan
09-04-2010, 12:49 PM
yea.....that is too bad.....alot of us thought it would happen......best of luck to him....

Buff
09-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Indy or Washington is where he ends up - assuming he gets healthy enought to play this year.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 12:50 PM
This is interesting from the blog post about stokley:

"He is hoping to play for one more season, but he and his wife Lana have settled on the Denver area as the permanent residence for their family."

doesn't it seem like half of the free agents who come to denver make this city a permanent home? damn, i miss colorado.

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I thought we would keep him. But the other night after Willis had 100+ yards sealed his fate. I agree with the move, Willis is looking too good.

LTC Pain
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Godspeed Stoker! You rocked the house when you were healthy. Glad you are staying in Colorado. Our great state can always use folks of your caliber.

bcbronc
09-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Not surprised after the play of lloyd and Willis. Would have been nice to get a late pick for him but that time of year and respecting the vet I guess.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

honz
09-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Nothing but respect and admiration for the Slot Machine, but he is getting old and hasn't played 16 games in quite a while. Willis has shown too much promise to let him go for a guy that is more of a mentor than an actual player these days. Stokes will always be remembered for the "Gusgasm".

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Decker sealed the deal on thursday.good luck and thanks for everything stokes !:salute:

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I thought this was a possibility several weeks ago.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/04/jarvis-green-stokley-cut/4986/

This is indeed a sad day at Dove Valley as Brandon Stokley, one of the most popular and professional players to ever wear a Broncos uniform, is in the process of having his contract terminated.

It’s also a shocking day at Dove Valley as the Broncos cut defensive end Jarvis Green despite the $3.255 million he is owed for this year.

Green was one of the Broncos’ “Big Three” free agent defensive linemen signed by the Broncos in March. Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams were the other two additions.

Green was given a four-year, $11.755 million contract, of which his $2.5 million signing bonus and $755,000 salary for this year were guaranteed.

But Green never could beat out Ryan McBean at right defensive end and became by far the most surprising of the Saturday cuts that also includes Darrell Reid and Stokley.

The Broncos also already paid a $500,000 roster bonus to Stokley in March and a $100,000 offseason workout bonus. He was going to make a $1.4 million salary this year. He missed the final three weeks of the preseason with a torn groin and it’s possible his agent Rick Smith is working out an injury settlement that is typically worth two or three game checks.

Stokley, 34, was a slot machine who was always productive when healthy but suffered his share of physical setbacks. He caught the famous Immaculate Deflection in the final seconds of the opener at Cincinnati last year. In his three seasons with the Broncos, Stokley had a terrific ratio of 13 starts and 12 touchdown receptions.

He has 307 catches for 4,319 yards and 34 touchdowns in his career. He is hoping to play for one more season, but he and his wife Lana have settled on the Denver area as the permanent residence for their family.

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

Stokley has a groin injury so both sides are working out an injury settlement before he is officially terminated. 21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
This is why I hate this day. My head knew that could very well happen this year, esp when he injured his groin at camp and Willis playing so strong. It just that it still hurts my heart.

Stok you always put 110% in everything you gave us. You are a class act in every way possible. You helped me out so many times with the kids and I will always have such a special place in my heart for you. Best of luck in everything you do and I'm glad you are making Denver your home for your family....:salute:

Bosco
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Kudos to Brandon for 3 years of very solid play.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Best wishes Brandon - you definitely are one of the "class acts" to ever wear a Broncos's uniform :salute:

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought this was a possibility several weeks ago.

so did every other person with a beating heart and an interest in the broncos.

Traveler
09-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Right about Green, wrong about Stokley.

camdisco24
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Good luck Stokes!
I will never forget his "magic" play last year against the Bengals.
That was one of the few times I was yelling at the TV because I was happy.

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
so did every other person with a beating heart and an interest in the broncos.

Not everyone (points to a name that starts in B and ends in osco)

Nomad
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks Brandon for your time here! As everyone has said you're nothing but class and was fun to watch!! If you don't get picked up, go enjoy life!!!

Softskull
09-04-2010, 05:45 PM
NFL.com says Stokely was placed on IR, not cut.

nevcraw
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
sad news on stoke (one of my alltime favorites) Guarranteed he wins a game or 2 this year for someone!!

Another brain fart with Green.. U kidding me?? This is a bigger F up than Phonz by a long shot..

McD ha sbeen watching this guy play for years!!!!!!! and decided to overpay for a part time rotation guy, who now is walking the street with fat wallet.. On paper i would say net net - the D is worse than last year without a well respected D cord to round it in shape..

Bosco
09-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Not everyone (points to a name that starts in B and ends in osco)

Really? I was one of the first ones to openly state that Stokley was a probable cut and only wavered off of that when McKinley went down for the year.

Looks like he was placed on IR though.

gnomeflinger
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Stokley is on IR until he's healthy then he's going to be on a waiver.

jhildebrand
09-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Who was touting Jarvis all off season :confused:

underrated29
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
ok I will admit. I was 100% Wrong on stokley. I just did not see it in the cards. But oh well.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Too bad we didn't cut Lloyd instead.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 07:43 PM
ok I will admit. I was 100% Wrong on stokley. I just did not see it in the cards. But oh well.

There were alot of roster shakeups today that people didn't expect, myself included. Hell, look at the ones I botched.

My roster projection

QB- (3) Orton, Quinn, Tebow
HB- (3) Moreno, Buckhalter, Ball
FB- (1) Larsen
WR-(6) Lloyd, Thomas...Royal, Stokley...Gaffney, Decker
TE- (3) Graham, Quinn, Branson
OL- (8) Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris, Daniels, Hochstein, S.Olsen
DL- (8) Williams, Bannan, McBean, Fields, Green, L. Smith, Thomas, Baker
LB (8) DJ, Woodyard, Haggan, Mays, Ayers, Hunter, Moss, Atkins
CB (6) Bailey, Goodman, Cox, Smith, Jones, Thompson
S (4) Dawkins, Hill, Bruton, McBath
ST (3) Prater, Colquitt, Paxton

IR - Dumervil

PUP - Reid, who replaces Atkins if he is activated.

Suspended - White, who replaces Hall when he is activated.

Ouch.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 07:49 PM
You shouldn't try to predict roster moves when McD is the coach. Normal fans apply a certain level of intelligence to these things; it is becoming clear that McD doesn't.

Buff
09-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I can't remember, did you guarantee Phonz would make the team, or just that he would not be cut?

red98
09-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Really? I was one of the first ones to openly state that Stokley was a probable cut and only wavered off of that when McKinley went down for the year.

Looks like he was placed on IR though.

You can't just waive an injured vet, per the CBA. They have to IR him, come to an injury settlement (probably tomorrow) and then he's a free agent.

camdisco24
09-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Too bad we didn't cut Lloyd instead.

Seriously?? Lloyd has been great this off-season....

Davii
09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
You can't just waive an injured vet, per the CBA. They have to IR him, come to an injury settlement (probably tomorrow) and then he's a free agent.

Yeah, as soon as his agent comes to an agreement with the Broncos on an injury settlement Stokes will be a free agent.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2010, 08:14 AM

I wouldn't say "great". He just hasn't sucked as much as normal. As usual, he's about a 50% WR. He's made some nice catches but dropped/gave up on just as many as he's made. I'd bet if you pulled the targets vs catches stats (I'm guessing because I haven't actually looked but I've watched all the games) he's our highest targeted WR (first string) and his target vs catch is about 50%. Such is the story of Brandon Lloyd and why he'll be replaced by Thomas once he's healthy.

Gaffney hasn't been stellar, either. The normally sure handed Gaffney has dropped a couple of catchable ones, too.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't say "great". He just hasn't sucked as much as normal. As usual, he's about a 50% WR. He's made some nice catches but dropped/gave up on just as many as he's made. I'd bet if you pulled the targets vs catches stats (I'm guessing because I haven't actually looked but I've watched all the games) he's our highest targeted WR (first string) and his target vs catch is about 50%. Such is the story of Brandon Lloyd and why he'll be replaced by Thomas once he's healthy.

Gaffney hasn't been stellar, either. The normally sure handed Gaffney has dropped a couple of catchable ones, too.

Just curious have you looked at the starters numbers the last few years many of them were not much above the 50% bench mark you just placed.

Just food for thought. I'm not somewhere I can look it up. But IIRC marshall in one of his biggie years he WAS targeted 179 times to get his 100 catches. Which is about 55%. When your QB is averaging mid to high 60's means he WAS a drag on the numbers.

So let's see how this #4 or 6 WR works out.

camdisco24
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Can't say I disagree with any of that from a numbers standpoint, but watching him play this off-season seems to show some improvement from what I've seen from him in the past. He's been more aggressive with catches and he puts himself out there to make a catch. He's also made some impressive catches in heavy coverage. Things like that caught my eye, but then again, things that happen in the off season can easily be a fluke. We'll just have to wait and see...

I Eat Staples
09-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Whatever team Lloyd is on for the preseason always says he looks great. This is the story of Lloyd's career. A team gives him a chance, he looks great in preseason, and then becomes irrelevant in the regular season and gets released. You would think teams would have learned how he is by now. He's a terrible player, he won't show up this season.

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 09:30 PM

I heard this isn't the first time that Lloyd has looked good in the preseason only to be disappointing in the regular season. If that is the case I hope he bucks that trend.

camdisco24
09-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I heard this isn't the first time that Lloyd has looked good in the preseason only to be disappointing in the regular season. If that is the case I hope he buck that trend.

Admittedly, I havent kept up with his career much so I didnt know he had this trend. But like you said, maybe the trend will change this season for us. For the Broncos sake, I hope it does.

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Admittedly, I havent kept up with his career much so I didnt know he had this trend. But like you said, maybe the trend will change this season for us. For the Broncos sake, I hope it does.

Same here, but why would we? He wasn't a Bronco until last year.

Bosco
09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Same here, but why would we? He wasn't a Bronco until last year.

The talk going around is that he's been pretty humbled over the last couple years and has re-dedicated himself to football and the Broncos have taken notice of that. Even the announcers in the Steelers game brought it up.

Their is no guarantee that he won't revert back to his old ways, but for the last year plus, he's done and said all the right things.

pnbronco
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I will say he was different at camp this year than last year. He just never seemed to want to bother with the fans and after reading that he wanted to be a rap star it kind of made sense to me.

He only came over last year on the day he had to and just ran down to line with out engaging with anyone. This year he came over on his own, talked with the fans, looked you in the eye. When I explained that I had 2 balls one for me and one for the Foundation he was really nice about it and signed both. He was just a lot more humble than last year. So I hope this all plays out on the field.

Maybe he's grown up enough to understand this is his job and if he doesn't take care of it, he won't have it anymore. Also it could help that he has 2 young ones wanting to take that field, at least it couldn't hurt.

I Eat Staples
09-06-2010, 02:03 PM

I follow as many players as possible due to fantasy football. :beer:

And of course I, also, hope he breaks this trend, but I feel like he's too far into his career to change now.

red98
09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Seahawks sign Brandon Stokley
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2010 3:55 PM ET

Two weeks after he was cut by the Broncos, Brandon Stokley has found a new home.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Stokley, a 12-year veteran wide receiver, has reached an agreement with the Seahawks.

In Seattle Stokley will be reunited with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who coached Stokley for two years as a Broncos assistant in 2007 and 2008.

To make room for Stokley, the Seahawks are expected to jettison running back Quinton Ganther.

broncophan
09-28-2010, 03:42 PM
welp.....there's another one that McD let get away.....lol

Good to see Stokes get picked up by someone,,,,

MasterShake
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
welp.....there's another one that McD let get away.....

I don't know. I liked him, but I can't think of who I'd have him replace. I like the lineup we have now, I don't think he'd even have a chance to play.

rationalfan
09-28-2010, 03:49 PM
welp.....there's another one that McD let get away.....

not trying to be a mcd homer, but is the team really missing stokely? at all?

more curious is that, i believe, the team was working out an injury settlement with stokely. makes me now wonder if that was just bs to get him out quietly.

broncophan
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM

more curious is that, i believe, the team was working out an injury settlement with stokely. makes me now wonder if that was just bs to get him out quietly.

sorry.....I was being sarcastic.....

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I heard this isn't the first time that Lloyd has looked good in the preseason only to be disappointing in the regular season. If that is the case I hope he bucks that trend.

I think it's safe to say he's "bucked the trend". :D

After 3 games he's the 2nd rated WR in the league.

MasterShake
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Stop being such a ration fan,...rationalfan...:lol:

Its true though. I'll take Eddie Royal over Stokley at this point in their careers. If he played special teams too, he may still have a place on this roster but we are pretty loaded with younger talent right now.

pnbronco
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I was at camp the day he pulled the muscle. He was going for a play and then you could see that something was wrong all over his face. He limped to the locker room and that was the last time I saw him. It happened the same day that Tebow did not do the sprints and then all the talk was did he get hurt in the game he took the hit for.

Stok was hurt, he did get a settlement, but Davi told me that once that is done they become free agents for anyone to pick up. Dang I wish he could of been with them before they came to town. Really miss him.

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I liked Stokely. Great guy. Incredible character! Awesome leader. But Royal can easily fullfill those roles. Bottom line it was the right thing to do. We have way too much talent waiting in the wings and the future is now. The young guys need to see playing time. Decker and Thomas are stars in the making and they need to play.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM

I was thinking about this yesterday, but I think it's way too early to judge either way.

If he plays close to this level all year I will publicly apologize to Brandon Lloyd for saying we should have cut him. Not like he'd care anyway, but still. :lol:

camdisco24
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

X2, I'm thrilled with his play right now! Hope he keeps it up.

honz
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Brandon Lloyd is better than Brandon Marshall.

CANHawk
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey guys. Didn't think i'd be back here this year... ;)

What's your guys take on our new pick up? You guys all seem pretty high on him as a person, but what about the player? I know he used to be pretty good, but do you think he still has anything left in the tank or what?

The rumblings around our campfire is that with the Stokley pick up that Deion Branch is on his way out. Can't say I'd really cry into my cornflakes if that happened.

Cheers!

nevcraw
09-28-2010, 05:21 PM

What's your guys take on our new pick up? You guys all seem pretty high on him as a person, but what about the player? I know he used to be pretty good, but do you think he still has anything left in the tank or what?

The rumblings around our campfire is that with the Stokley pick up that Deion Branch is on his way out. Can't say I'd really cry into my cornflakes if that happened.

Cheers!

you got a fan favorite and a gamer.. if he's on the field (read:healthy) he will help you win games.. he is not a long term solution but your team will be better for having him.
Plus it loooks like you got some pretty slim picking at WR anyway.

CANHawk
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
you got a fan favorite and a gamer.. if he's on the field (read:healthy) he will help you win games.. he is not a long term solution but your team will be better for having him.
Plus it loooks like you got some pretty slim picking at WR anyway.

Well, we have two young guns with loads of potential in Deon Butler and Golden Tate, but yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath that Mike Williams turns into Brandon Marshall and Deion Branch... ~sigh~ I don't know what to say about Deion Branch.

Glad to hear so many of you are disapointed to lose him. Means he's still worth something. :)

dogfish
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Cheers!

he's obviously old, but he can still play. . . he just got caught in a roster crunch here, he got dinged in training camp and we just had too many young receivers. . . he's an ideal fit in the slot-- fantastic route runner who still has the quickness to get separation. . . and his hands are extremely reliable. . .

he really doesn't have the size or speed to be particularly effective on the outside, and his snaps have to be carefully monitored at this point in his career-- he's never been durable, and he gets worn down if you ask him to play 50-60 snaps a game. . .

he's not a guy that going to come in and take a starting job, and post 75 catches for 1,000+ yards. . . he IS an exceptionally clutch 3rd down receiver, which is probably the role you'll be asking him to fill. . . his hands and ability to get open quickly make him pretty much ideal in this role-- he's not likely to put up huge numbers for you, but he can still be quite valuable in that specific capacity. . . you guys really could use another big receiver, and stokes clearly won't help there, but he'll extend some drives for you. . .

also, his presence will be HIGHLY beneficial to young guys like tate and butler if they've got their ears open. . . stokes is a technician, those guys can learn a ton from him. . . you should be thrilled to have him as a veteran presence in your receivers group-- he'll be an ideal mentor, unlike that toxic turd douchemandzadeh. . .

pnbronco
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
What Dog said, plus he's just one of the nicest, most professional players I've ever met. He is so one of the good guys. In camp he caught everything that went his way. He does get hurt and wear down, so they need to be careful with him.

Dreadnought
09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Well, we have two young guns with loads of potential in Deon Butler and Golden Tate, but yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath that Mike Williams turns into Brandon Marshall and Deion Branch... ~sigh~ I don't know what to say about Deion Branch.

Glad to hear so many of you are disapointed to lose him. Means he's still worth something. :)

On top of everything else, just in pure football terms Stokley is a big upgrade from Deion Branch. You should be happy as long as they use him correctly

honz
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Cheers!
Stokley is toast. I'll be surprised if he even cracks the lineup for the Seahawks.

Magnificent Seven
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Chicago Bears could get him. Stokley reunites with Cutler in Chicago.

Buff
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Pssst. :listen: Maybe read a few of the posts above yours.

honz
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Assuming Stokley is free to sign elsewhere, Chicago could be a very good fit for him.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Cheers!

Stokely is sure handed and can provide a sort of security blanket on third downs. He's also great in the locker room and can be an excellent mentor for young receivers.

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
He also opposes raising your right fist in support of Obama after a touchdown celebration.

Which is all the more reason to have him on your team.

CANHawk
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Well... FWIW, Stokley was a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day for us. 4 catches for 60 yards and a couple of 3rd down conversions. Looks like a real nice target to have in the slot.

You guys have any QB's you're not using...?

honz
10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
You can have Tim Tebow. He is a bust.

nevcraw
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Well... FWIW, Stokley was a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day for us. 4 catches for 60 yards and a couple of 3rd down conversions. Looks like a real nice target to have in the slot.

You guys have any QB's you're not using...?

We will trade you Quinn for Lynch.

Ravage!!!
10-08-2010, 02:21 PM
He also opposes raising your right fist in support of Obama after a touchdown celebration.

Which is all the more reason to have him on your team.

you mean using props in a TD celebration :beer:

TXBRONC
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Stokley is a good guy to have around. The only draw back with him is that he does have had time staying healthy.