PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons QB Rankings

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 10:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100902

18. Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow
On paper, it's the perfect platoon: Orton chucks the ball well enough (3,800 yards and 21 TDs last season!), but not well enough that he'd be insulted if you spotted him with a second QB for short-yardage spots and special packages. My big concern: I believe Tebow will be more effective than anyone anticipates, to the point that it will start a QB controversy, ruin Orton's confidence and lead to Tebow stealing the job. Quarterback platoons are like long-term affairs and repeated threesomes: Eventually, all hell will break loose. It just will. But Denver might be able to squeeze one effective season out of them.

(Quick Tebow tangent: After watching football for 35 years, I now believe the QB Success Pie Chart is something like 65 percent confidence/leadership/poise/coolness/intelligence, 20 percent accuracy/arm strength, 5 percent athletic ability and 10 percent toughness/balls/heart. That means Tebow is already 80 percent home. Throw in his marquee value and I believe Jacksonville fans and Buffalo fans will be very bitter by December. Of course, at least one Buffalo fan just read that and said: "Wait a second, I'm bitter every December. Are you saying I'm going to be more bitter than usual? Last December I sucker-punched a Jets fan outside Ralph Wilson Stadium just because he seemed a little too proud of his Sanchez jersey, then I ripped off the jersey and repeatedly drove over it with my snowplow as 150 Buffalo fans cheered me on. I'm going to be more bitter than that?" Yes.)

What do you guys think about this? Too high, too low, just right?

Note: This thread is about KYLE ORTON and TIM TEBOW. Please don't troll this thread with what the writer had to say about another former Broncos QB.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100902

What do you guys think about this? Too high, too low, just right?

Note: This thread is about KYLE ORTON and TIM TEBOW. Please don't troll this thread with what the writer had to say about another former Broncos QB.

I think that is a great decription of what a quarterback needs to succeed at the NFL level. So what did he have to say about another former Broncos QB?;)

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that is a great decription of what a quarterback needs to succeed at the NFL level. So what did he have to say about another former Broncos QB?;)

Agreed. Also, I hope that he's right about Tebow playing well enough to start a QB controversy this year. While QB controversies are almost never a good thing, if Tebow is playing well enough to even make it a controversy that means he is playing pretty damn well this season and means that McD probably made a pretty good pick.

I disagree with him that it would ruin Orton's confidence though. He's survived the long offseason of Tebow mania and has played very well in the preseason so I don't see what that would suddenly change.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 10:25 AM
And as far as that Bills fan being jealous of Sanchez..... Tebow is ALREADY better than Sanchez. Sanchez will be a complete bust, and out of the league with in 3 seasons.

KCL
09-04-2010, 10:29 AM
And as far as that Bills fan being jealous of Sanchez..... Tebow is ALREADY better than Sanchez. Sanchez will be a complete bust, and out of the league with in 3 seasons.

Didn't the Jets make it to the playoffs last year with him?

sorry..this post was off topic

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 10:30 AM

I lol'd at the Bills fan comment. The mental image of that scenario was hilarious.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Didn't the Jets make it to the playoffs last year with him?

sorry..this post was off topic

In spite of him, not with him.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
long term affairs and repeated threesomes....this dude might have some "splainin'" to do when he gets home !:laugh: