PDA

View Full Version : Should we pickup Betts?

Overtime
09-03-2010, 07:48 PM
The Saints released Ladell Betts,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5528600

should the Broncos pick him up to aid with the shortage at RB???

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 07:59 PM

My first thought is yes but why did they let him go in the first place?

honz
09-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Moreno is our short yardage back. I'm not really sure why we need short yardage help when we have a back that is capable of picking up tough yards...yes, I know he sucked in short yardage last year, but so did everyone's homeboy Hillis.

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 08:07 PM
we need 9 rb's ! the first 7 always seem to get hurt:salute:

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Moreno is our short yardage back. I'm not really sure why we need short yardage help when we have a back that is capable of picking up tough yards...yes, I know he sucked in short yardage last year, but so did everyone's homeboy Hillis.

Hillis was on the field for all of two games last year. I don't see how he was on the field enough to make that kind of judgement.

Softskull
09-03-2010, 08:10 PM
With White gone, I think it makes sense to me.

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
hillis sucks....BUT he's better than bruce hall:laugh:

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM

What does Hillis have to do with Moreno sucking at the short yardage? Thats not exactly making a case for him. Going by your example, you are saying we should trade Moreno off for a 3rd QB.

Moreno is no short yardage back.... thats why we need short yardage help.

honz
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM
What does Hillis have to do with Moreno sucking at the short yardage? Thats not exactly making a case for him. Going by your example, you are saying we should trade Moreno off for a 3rd QB.

Moreno is no short yardage back.... thats why we need short yardage help.
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

How is Moreno not a short yardage back? He almost always falls forward, can jump over the pile, and has quick feet. Obviously he's not going to just run over LB's, but neither did LT in his prime.

Northman
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
If we pick up any back right now i would like to get a guy who is a little more durable than the guys we have been scrounging around for. I would love to find a way to get Jacobs here or just keep looking for a bonafide back who isnt going to break down every other game. We have just got to get healthy at the key positions.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

How is Moreno not a short yardage back? He almost always falls forward, can jump over the pile, and has quick feet. Obviously he's not going to just run over LB's, but neither did LT in his prime.

when did he show ANY of that in the NFL? Ever?

honz
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
when did he show ANY of that in the NFL? Ever?
Whenever he had a chance to take 2 steps before being greeted by a defender in our backfield in short yardage situations. Our short yardage run blocking was atrocious last year.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Whenever he had a chance to take 2 steps before being greeted by a defender in our backfield in short yardage situations. Our short yardage run blocking was atrocious last year.

So, we haven't seen it, you are just believing it to be true. I've seen NOTHING of Moreno to believe that he is a short yardage back... at all...............yet

honz
09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
So, we haven't seen it, you are just believing it to be true. I've seen NOTHING of Moreno to believe that he is a short yardage back... at all...............yet
No, I have seen it...like I just said, I saw it on the rare occasion he was actually given a chance to make something happen in a short yardage situation.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Mmm hmmmm

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
No, I have seen it...like I just said, I saw it on the rare occasion he was actually given a chance to make something happen in a short yardage situation.

the NFL does'nt GIVE chances you MAKE them :salute:

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 09:13 PM

You got to be kidding us. Because I'm sure you know that Moreno had several opportunities in short yardage situations last year and didn't do very well. In fact I honestly remember him converting any 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 all year. Don't getme wrong I like the kid and I think he will eventually be a very good running back but he didn't do very well in short yardage situations last year.

honz
09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Some of you have reading comprehension problems. And if you don't remember him converting short yardage opportunities than you have a bad memory. I know we didn't do well running the ball last year in short yardage situations, but I don't think it was our RB's fault most of the time.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Some of you have reading comprehension problems. And if you don't remember him converting short yardage opportunities than you have a bad memory. I know we didn't do well running the ball last year in short yardage situations, but I don't think it was our RB's fault most of the time.

So as we are saying, honz. You haven't really seen it, other than the times YOU feel he was given BIG enough holes. When he wasn't, then you feel it was the OL's fault that he didn't do well. Sounds to me thats the same thing that could be said for ANY RB.

I'm looking for a big, short yardage, back that can convert those plays when the DL is stacked and thus NOT getting the holes/push that you would any other time. Thats what makes you good at being a short yardage back... making your push. Thats not what Moreno has shown to be good at.

Northman
09-03-2010, 09:25 PM

I think there was a combination of things.

1) He was a rookie and at times he ran through the wrong lanes and tried to make too much at times.

2) The offensive line was utilizing two separate schemes when technically it should of been staying with the ZBS instead of the hybrid they were trying to use.

3) Some of the defenses like Bmore and Pitt just werent going to give much up.

honz
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
So as we are saying, honz. You haven't really seen it, other than the times YOU feel he was given BIG enough holes. When he wasn't, then you feel it was the OL's fault that he didn't do well. Sounds to me thats the same thing that could be said for ANY RB.

I'm looking for a big, short yardage, back that can convert those plays when the DL is stacked and thus NOT getting the holes/push that you would any other time. Thats what makes you good at being a short yardage back... making your push. Thats not what Moreno has shown to be good at.

I'm talking about when the defense pushed our line back a yard or so by the time our backs even had the ball, not when there was simply no hole to run through.

Obviously, neither of us are going to budge here and I don't want to be MB to your Nature Boy, so I think I'm going to tap out here. This debate will be settled on the field soon enough.

I Eat Staples
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Moreno has not shown that he can pick up short yards.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 10:04 PM
and I don't want to be MB to your Nature Boy,

I have no idea what that means.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Moreno has not shown that he can pick up short yards.

Not in the least.

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm talking about when the defense pushed our line back a yard or so by the time our backs even had the ball, not when there was simply no hole to run through.

Obviously, neither of us are going to budge here and I don't want to be MB to your Nature Boy, so I think I'm going to tap out here. This debate will be settled on the field soon enough.

i see your point and it is valid....BUT knowshon was very tentative when picking a lane and was thinking more than putting the hammer down !
that should change in his 2nd season.and the Lord knows we're gonna need it !:salute::beer:

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM

I don't have reading comprehension problem. I understand what you're saying I don't quite agree with you. I agree that the running backs were completely to blame but I'm also not going to say it's mostly the line fault either. Both parties are culpable and there are other facts that figure into the equation as well.

rcsodak
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM

He didn't want to sign during TC...why the hell would he want to now?

JJArington was cut as well. Maybe they should sign him?

:rolleyes:

Can we have a "should we sign ######" thread started? We KNOW there's going to be a butt-load of these between now and at LEAST next weekend. At least we could contain them.....

:tsk:

rcsodak
09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
If we pick up any back right now i would like to get a guy who is a little more durable than the guys we have been scrounging around for. I would love to find a way to get Jacobs here or just keep looking for a bonafide back who isnt going to break down every other game. We have just got to get healthy at the key positions.

LMAO. Brandon Jacobs?

The dude that can't stay healthy?

The dude that Denver thoroughly shutdown last year?

rcsodak
09-04-2010, 12:16 AM

Didn't someone post some numbers on Moreno in a thread a while back? Showing how his numbers were better than they looked? Take away the Oline 'matadorian line blacking' and he was averaging great numbers?

Coulda swore.....

rcsodak
09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
You got to be kidding us. Because I'm sure you know that Moreno had several opportunities in short yardage situations last year and didn't do very well. In fact I honestly remember him converting any 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 all year. Don't getme wrong I like the kid and I think he will eventually be a very good running back but he didn't do very well in short yardage situations last year.

Kinda hard to do when the defenders are meeting you at the ball, Tx. Go back to those games and re-watch them. He'd get smothered.

Lonestar
09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Another do we get this guy?
Who is someone elses junk.

There will be lots of junkers @ 5pm MDT ti sort thru. N

No need to trade anything for what appears to be a 4th string RB

"The fields are alive with twitter!! "
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

honz
09-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Kinda hard to do when the defenders are meeting you at the ball, Tx. Go back to those games and re-watch them. He'd get smothered.

At least one other person saw what I saw, so I know I'm not bat shit crazy... :salute: