PDA

View Full Version : Trimming down the roster-whos been cut so far.

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I have heard these people have been axed.

chris baker
alric arnett
overby
kirlew
kyle mccarthy
paul duncan
johnny williams
kory spery
Baraka atkins.
Darrell Reid--(i suspect we will resign him though)

Doom to IR.

10 to go if I count correctly.

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
kirlew
duncan
johny williams
lenwhale to ir

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
kyle mcarthy

broncofaninfla
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Are these predictions or actual cuts?

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
actual cuts.

fwiw- JJ arrington got cut by philly

Northman
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Didnt hold onto Baker huh? Guess he wasnt very good.

broncofaninfla
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Arrington got cut as well? Maybe we can sign him so we can add yet another RB to IR?

slim
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
alric arnett
overby
kyle mccarthy
paul duncan

I don't know who any of these people are :noidea:

broncofaninfla
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM

I was hoping the kid had a future with Denver, guess not. I'd sure feel better have a young guy at NT to groom for the future.

Northman
09-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Nothing like having a guy named Slim in a "trimming down" thread. Sorry, had to do it. lol

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
baker will probably go to the PS i would imagin.

ladell betts on the way out in NO-

slim
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
That is interesting. I have always liked Betts.

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
12 to go until we get to 53

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
alric arnett
overby
kyle mccarthy
paul duncan

alric- WR-
nathan overby- TE--not sure,nothing special
mccarthy- Saftey-not very good
duncan-big OL-also not very good-maybe PS-for him, maybe,hes a longshot imo.

frauschieze
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
alric- WR-
nathan overby- TE--not sure,nothing special
mccarthy- Saftey-not very good
duncan-big OL-also not very good-maybe PS-for him, maybe,hes a longshot imo.

Overby was not worthy of wearing the number 83. :tsk:

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
That is interesting. I have always liked Butts.

:D;)

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 02:28 PM
kirlew
duncan
johny williams
lenwhale to ir

so if they put white on ir does he have to wait until next season to serve his 4 game suspension ?:confused:

nevcraw
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
McCarthy seemed to be everywhere, showed a lot of heart.. I wouldn't call him not very good -- just not good now.. lol..
I think he gets to the PS.

Oh well on Chris Baker - looks like they will have to groom someone else to be the NT of the future starting next year.. yikes..

Bosco
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Surprised to see Baker get the axe. I wonder if we try to sign him to the PS.

Bosco
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh well on Chris Baker - looks like they will have to groom someone else to be the NT of the future starting next year.. yikes..

Well the good news is there are some good NT prospects in the 2011 draft. Jerrell Powe, Kenrick Ellis and Phil Taylor are guys I'll be keeping my eye on.

underrated29
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
kory sperry.

11 to go.

Lonestar
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear about baker thought he just needed time to learn how the pros do it. Maybe PS.

As for the rest of them no big surprises. It will be the next 4+6 that are the hardest.

PLus the next ones to make room for. Players picked up.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

GEM
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hear about Sperry, CU guy.

I effing love this place. My dad calls to see if I have heard of any cuts and take a look here and there's already a thread. :D

Elevation inc
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Well the good news is there are some good NT prospects in the 2011 draft. Jerrell Powe, Kenrick Ellis and Phil Taylor are guys I'll be keeping my eye on.

actually thats bad news, if Jwill can only go this year we could be screwed, i doubt baker is a PS canidate.....they will use thomas at NT before calling up baker.....he looked horrible all pre-season....looking at next year there are 3 NT's and tahts it that are worth a dman unless some sophmore goes ballistic.....powe is a top 15 pick and probally will go to buffalo once they realize you need a NT to run a 3-4.....ellis is a second-4th rd prospect, bu ta project, and taylor is a rd 4 propsetc who weighs 355, but has weight ballooning issues.....outside of that crap....i am praying to go the Le kevin smith exp at NT works or we could be seriously screwed at NT...fields is a servicable stop gap......but im not banking on jwill past this year

underrated29
09-03-2010, 03:01 PM
just guessing here-not cuts, but I guess that:

riar greer
britt davis
bruce hall
eric olsen
cassius vaugh
ben garland
jeff stehle
kevin alexander

jason hunter or worrell williams- I like both, but i bet one goes.

That is 9 so only two more if I am correct here

slim
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Overby was not worthy of wearing the number 83. :tsk:

Is anyone?

underrated29
09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
not a cut, but patrick crayton traded to the bolts for a 2011 7th rdr

pnbronco
09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
McCarthy seemed to be everywhere, showed a lot of heart.. I wouldn't call him not very good -- just not good now.. lol..
I think he gets to the PS.

I think so too....to me McCarthy could make the PS. He has a lot of heart...

Thanks UR for doing this and everyone else that sharing.

LRtagger
09-03-2010, 03:11 PM
alric arnett
overby
kyle mccarthy
paul duncan

McCarthy was the white guy on defense.

frauschieze
09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Is anyone?

It's possible but I certainly can't think of any. :cool:

slim
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
McCarthy was the white guy on defense.

I see.

Then I am surprised he lasted this long.

LRtagger
09-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I see.

I think it was because of the last name.

underrated29
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
baraka atkins got the axe

10 to go.

GEM
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

10 to go.

That name always cracks me up. I always expect to look up and see the mortal kombat guy.

T.K.O.
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

10 to go.

does that mean the broncos are on "the atkins diet "?:D:beer:

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 04:31 PM
does that mean the broncos are on "the atkins diet "?:D:beer:

Boooooo.... get off the stage.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
:bump:

With Elvis going on IR and Reid cut thought it was time to bump. Plus UR I see that you are on this am....thanks....

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 01:27 PM
OK so where are we will all this. I've had my heart ripped and will probably go drink....well probably not but I want too........... dang work............:mad:

getlynched47
09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Baraka Atkins????? Since when? I haven't seen shit about that one.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 01:43 PM

I don't recall seeing him get much playing time during the preseason.

It also means we don't anyone to develop at nose tackle once J. Williams is done and that could be as soon as the end of this season.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 01:44 PM
OK so where are we will all this. I've had my heart ripped and will probably go drink....well probably not but I want too........... dang work............:mad:

Two hugs :hug: :hug:

I hope that makes you feel better.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Two hugs :hug: :hug:

I hope that makes you feel better.

Thanks TX....and back to you too....:hug:

Hey you know I'm thinking it might be a mistake on Atkins...at least for yesterday. I just looked in all the places I know where to and didn't find his name anywhere.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks TX....and back to you too....:hug:

Hey you know I'm thinking it might be a mistake on Atkins...at least for yesterday. I just looked in all the places I know where to and didn't find his name anywhere.

It very well could be a mistake.

Davii
09-04-2010, 01:59 PM
so if they put white on ir does he have to wait until next season to serve his 4 game suspension ?:confused:

No. His suspension will be served while on IR. Same as a free agent, they serve their suspensions while sitting around waiting for a team to pick them up.

Davii
09-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Stokely is cut according to the Post.

I understand it, and kind of knew it was coming, but I still hate to see it.
Stokely is a class act and a good receiver.

turftoad
09-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Patiots make thier final cuts.

Offensive lineman Ted Larsen
Offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger
Wide receiver Darnell Jenkins
Linebacker Eric Alexander
Offensive lineman Thomas Welch
Running back Thomas Clayton
Linebacker Pierre Woods
Defensive back Ross Ventrone
Quarterback Zac Robinson
Wide receiver Rod Owens

Wonder how many will be future Broncos? :D

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
No. His suspension will be served while on IR. Same as a free agent, they serve their suspensions while sitting around waiting for a team to pick them up.

Do you know how long teams have for a player to clear waivers? So if they cut some of the young ones in hopes of putting them on the practice squad, how long do we have to wait to find out if they cleared?

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 02:15 PM

Linebacker Pierre Woods
Quarterback Zac Robinson
Wide receiver Rod Owens

Before I saw your question I just thinking the same thing. :lol:

GEM
09-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Expected it, understand it, but like you, I just don't like losing that kind of guy from the locker room. :(

dogfish
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Linebacker Pierre Woods
Quarterback Zac Robinson
Wide receiver Rod Owens

with our lack of depth at LB, i wouldn't be completely shocked if we brought in wood or alexander. . .

depending on which of our own guys are headed there, larsen might be a long shot candidate for the PS. . .

not really much there to pick through, though, same as most camp cuts. . .

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
From Andrew Mason via Josina Anderson:

"Agent Carl Poston tells Fox31 CB Cassius Vaughn was informed he made the team."

honz
09-04-2010, 04:07 PM
@ MaxBroncos: #Broncos put WR B.Stokley on injured reserve, DE B.Garland on military reserve ... 10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

@MaxBroncos: ... cut TEs Branson/Geer, WR B.Davis, DEs J.Green, J.Stehle, S K.MCarthy, OL S.Olsen, LBs K.Alexander, D.Reid, W.Williams. 9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Broncos are now at 53. Surprised Bruce Hall made the roster. You'd have to think the we will look to upgrade over him.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 04:34 PM
@ MaxBroncos: #Broncos put WR B.Stokley on injured reserve, DE B.Garland on military reserve ... 10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

@MaxBroncos: ... cut TEs Branson/Geer, WR B.Davis, DEs J.Green, J.Stehle, S K.MCarthy, OL S.Olsen, LBs K.Alexander, D.Reid, W.Williams. 9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Broncos are now at 53. Surprised Bruce Hall made the roster. You'd have to think the we will look to upgrade over him.

why the hell would they I.R. stokes ? he said he only wants to play 1 more year anyway.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 04:39 PM

What....I mean I would love for him to stay in Denver. I'm just so confused...:confused:

honz
09-04-2010, 04:39 PM
why the hell would they I.R. stokes ? he said he only wants to play 1 more year anyway.

I guess they will release him as soon as he is healthy...not sure what the benefit of that is. Maybe so he can keep mentoring our young players?

honz
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
@PostBroncos: The team clarified that Stokley will be released when his groin injury heals. Until then, he'll be on IR. 26 minutes ago via TweetDeck

spikerman
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I guess they will release him as soon as he is healthy...not sure what the benefit of that is. Maybe so he can keep mentoring our young players?

On Sirius NFL Radio they said that Stokley probably rejected the injury settlement so the Broncos IR'd him. Once he's healthy they can waive him from injured reserve without having to pay him a settlement.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Coach in training????? Keep his family here??? There is a real part of me that wants this...unless Stokes doesn't.

CrazyHorse
09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
So I take it we're down to 53. Can anyone put together what the final roster looks like.

honz
09-04-2010, 04:46 PM
So I take it we're down to 53. Can anyone put together what the final roster looks like.
Per Lindsay Jones: Here's how the roster breaks down right now: QBs - 3; RB/FBs - 5; WRs - 6; OL - 9; TE - 3; DL - 6; LB - 8; CB - 6; S - 4; Spec - 3 38 minutes ago via TweetDeck

That's the best I can do. Give me a minute and I will get a list of the final roster...

honz
09-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Looks like the Depth Chart at DB.com has been updated with our current roster...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html

CrazyHorse
09-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Looks like the Depth Chart at DB.com has been updated with our current roster...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html

Weird. It still shows Baratka Atkins.

honz
09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
QB: Orton, Quinn, Tebow
RB: Moreno, Bucky, Hall, Ball
WR: Gaffney, Lloyd, Thomas, Royal, Decker, Willis
FB: Larsen
TE: Graham, Dick Quinn, Gronkowski
OL: Clady, Batiste, Eric Olsen, Beadles, Walton, Hochstein, Daniels, Kuper, Harris

DL: McBean, Thomas, Williams, Fields, Bannan, LeKevin
LB: Moss, Atkins, Ayers, Hunter, DJ, Woodyard, Hagan, Mays
CB: Champ, Goody, Cox, Jones, Syd'Quan, Vaughn
S: Dawkins, Hill, Bruton, McBath

ST: Prater, Colquitt, The Beast

honz
09-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Weird. It still shows Baratka Atkins.
Oh yeah, he did get cut didn't he...the count comes to 53 though, so take Atkins off and you need to add one more to get 53. Who did they leave off?

broncobryce
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Seth Olsen?

CrazyHorse
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah, he did get cut didn't he...the count comes to 53 though, so take Atkins off and you need to add one more to get 53. Who did they leave off?

I'm guessing there's a spot open because they're signing someone of waivers.

honz
09-04-2010, 05:01 PM
MHR showing that Atkins made the team as well, but they may have simply gone off DB.com's depth chart as well...

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/4/1669401/all-ready-your-2010-denver-broncos

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Wait wait... Stokely cut? Has someone notified Bosco of this? Because he is just POSITIVE that no one on the roster has the skillset to back up Royal, and thus he had to be kept. Maybe Bosco forgot to notify McD.

honz
09-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Seth Olsen?
Seth Olsen was cut, I believe.

underrated29
09-04-2010, 05:05 PM
so was stokley cut? I am surprised if he was.

And maybe the atkins thing was a mistake.

honz
09-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Andrew Mason lists Atkins as a part of the 53...maybe he wasn't cut after all. Nice breakdown of the 53 by Mason as well.

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/09/04/roster-calculus-deconstructing-the-denver-53/

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I think Atkins was a mistake because I can't find him cut anywhere else. This is from CBS4.com

DENVER (CBS4) ―

A day after LenDale White and Elvis Dumervil hit the injured reserve, the Denver Broncos added Brandon Stokley to the list of players who will miss the season due to injury.

In addition to that roster move, the Broncos have completed their cuts, paring down their roster to 53 players. Two notable waivers were veteran linebacker Darrell Reid and defensive lineman Jarvis Green.

Here's a look at the full list of Saturday's cuts:

LB Kevin Alexander
TE Marquez Branson
WR Britt Davis
TE Riar Geer
DL Jarvis Green
S Kyle McCarthy
OL Seth Olsen
LB Darrell Reid
DL Jeff Stehle
LB Worrell Williams

In addition to the cuts, the Broncos traded cornerback Alphonso Smith, a second round draft pick in 2009, to the Detroit Lions in exchange for tight end Dan Gronkowski.

The Broncos final roster move puts defensive lineman Ben Garland on the team's reserve/military list.

Spiritguy
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
So now the question becomes who ends up on the PS?

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I am so pumped that Bruce Hall made the team. When I watched him in JUCO I never imagined that he would play for the Broncos one day.

Traveler
09-04-2010, 06:09 PM
It's possible that the team will make a move for a RB after the first game. If I understand correctly, all current player salaries on the 53 man roster are guaranteed after the 1st game of the season.

Anyone signed after the first game can be acquired or released with such guarantee.

OT- After todays bloodbath, I'm sure Pat bowlen can't be too happy. Can't argue that the moves aren't justified. Having said that, the wasted picks and salaries have to put Xander's job on the hot seat.

underrated29
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I am so pumped that Bruce Hall made the team. When I watched him in JUCO I never imagined that he would play for the Broncos one day.

I think he made it becuase lendale is on ir....just a thought.

T.K.O.
09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
the titan's had "smash & dash"....the broncos have "hall n balls"

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Yeah I know, it's still awesome to see someone who played ball in my hometown go on to play for the Broncos. I've been rooting for him all camp and I couldn't be happier for him.

honz
09-04-2010, 08:09 PM
He sorta sucks though...

BroncoWave
09-04-2010, 08:11 PM
He sorta sucks though...

Yeah because 4th string running backs are supposed to be all-pros! :lol:

I know he's not that good a player but I still have a soft spot for him and am happy to see him make the Broncos.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
OT- After todays bloodbath, I'm sure Pat bowlen can't be too happy. Can't argue that the moves aren't justified. Having said that, the wasted picks and salaries have to put Xander's job on the hot seat.

Why? The only arguable "big" moves were trading Smith and cutting Green. Neither one is that substantial to the financial part and Bowlen, just like every other owner, understands that players don't always work out.

I Eat Staples
09-04-2010, 09:17 PM

I know he's not that good a player but I still have a soft spot for him and am happy to see him make the Broncos.

I can understand why you'd root for him, but in my opinion we should have kept Fargas.

Traveler
09-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Why? The only arguable "big" moves were trading Smith and cutting Green. Neither one is that substantial to the financial part and Bowlen, just like every other owner, understands that players don't always work out.

Glad you can so casually discount millions of dollars and wasted draft picks.

It's been covered ad nauseum, but the Smith trade and his subsequent inconsistent performance, made this a horrible acquisition.

Add in his $2.5 signing bonus, $395,000 2010 salary, and I wouldn't be too happy if I was Bowlen.

Luckily, it looks like the FO may have covered themselves with the acquisitions of Cox & Thompson.

You have a point that in the grand scheme of things, approximately $ 2.9 million isn't much. I'm actually more upset about the wasted picks, but the salary is no laughing matter.

Mistakes are made by all teams- see Leinart-but when rebuilding, misuse of day one picks can set you back for years.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Hey BB it's ok to have soft spots for certain guys. As you can see I have many. BTW Hall was so nice at camp, they came over almost every day I was there and just interacted with the fans.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 10:34 PM

I'm not discounting it, I just realize that is just the nature of the NFL. Players bust, money gets wasted, rinse and repeat.

It happens to every single team.

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 11:15 PM

I agree Hall made it by default. If White doesn't get hurt I think it pretty safe bet say Hall would have been cut.

BroncoWave
09-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I can understand why you'd root for him, but in my opinion we should have kept Fargas.

Fargas was terrible all preseason. Did he even make a single good play? Bruce Hall at least had a couple of good plays from time to time and led us in rushing in 2 of our preseason games.

bcbronc
09-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Mistakes are made by all teams- see Leinart-but when rebuilding, misuse of day one picks can set you back for years.

Just pretend Cox was the first day pick and Smith the fifth rounder. There ya go, no big whup.

BeefStew25
09-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Just pretend Cox was the first day pick and Smith the fifth rounder. There ya go, no big whup.

Exactly. For every miss, there should be a couple hits. We have Cocks and Richard Quinn. I can sleep at night because of that.

pnbronco
09-05-2010, 12:30 AM

You know you actually have a point I had not even thought of. Don't all first round picks get so much money, so in reality are we not getting rid of a first pick salary and replacing it with a 5th's?

BeefStew25
09-05-2010, 12:32 AM
No. We had to pay out that Darrel guy I never heard of until tonight. Burp.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 09:05 AM

It's been covered ad nauseum, but the Smith trade and his subsequent inconsistent performance, made this a horrible acquisition.

Add in his $2.5 signing bonus, $395,000 2010 salary, and I wouldn't be too happy if I was Bowlen.

Luckily, it looks like the FO may have covered themselves with the acquisitions of Cox & Thompson.

You have a point that in the grand scheme of things, approximately $ 2.9 million isn't much. I'm actually more upset about the wasted picks, but the salary is no laughing matter.

Then he must have really been pissed the last ten years or so think of how many years we were set back because of day one failures.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 09:11 AM
people seem to forget Jarvis green is one of MCD first and only failed FA signings(next to ayodele), need we recount shanny's draft and FA history.....???? and phonz is gone its done...and while they cost money dont forget we did save almost a million and 1.4 million for letting stokes and reid go......so i doubt its MCD's philosophy to just waste money......

Northman
09-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Then he must have really been pissed the last ten years or so think of how many years we were set back because of day one failures.

Yea, he ended up firing that guy. But it doesnt give a pass to the new one.

BigDaddyBronco
09-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Ok, so how much more money was spent than the average team who has a number of draft busts or FA busts. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but this might just be the normal cost of doing business.

At least it was millions spent on a first round QB.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Did I say he would.

But if owners fired coach and GMs aftr their first few failures it would be caious out there would it not.

I suspect that so far the positives of what Josh is doing, FAR out weigh a few bad decisions on roster choices.

Northman
09-05-2010, 09:55 AM
But if owners fired coach and GMs aftr their first few failures it would be caious out there would it not.

Happens all the time in the NFL. Although i suspect Mcd to get at least another year or two i dont believe his leash will be that long.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 10:01 AM
You know you actually have a point I had not even thought of. Don't all first round picks get so much money, so in reality are we not getting rid of a first pick salary and replacing it with a 5th's?

Yep that be a fact. So overall they reduced salary costs today. Aren't we glad it is a no cap year so those hits will be taken this year in stead in a cap year.

They go in with a clean slate.

Hey Josh way to get a head of the learning curve.

Tned
09-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Didn't you get the memo? As long as fans spew "yea, but mikey did it --- mikey made mistakes..." then McDaniels is in the clear. Nothing is a 'mistake' and if you begrudgingly get an admittance that a mistake was made, then you will be told it's Xanders or someone else's fault.

Imagine pulling that shit in court?

Judge: "Sir, did you fail to pay your taxes?"

You: "Your Honor, it's true I didn't pay my taxes, but since Wesley Snipes didn't pay his taxes and was punished for that, then it's my understanding that I can't be held liable for my own failure to pay taxes. This is clearly established by the "mikey precedent", so I'm guessing I'm free to go now. Hey judge, before you let me go, could you have the court clerk run to Starbucks and get me a skinny latte with a double shot for the road?"

It reminds me of what someone on Mania used to say regarding Jake's **** ups, but now the variation would be:

McDaniels makes mistakes, but others are responsible...

atwater27
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Yep that be a fact. So overall they reduced salary costs today. Aren't we glad it is a no cap year so those hits will be taken this year in stead in a cap year.

They go in with a clean slate.

Hey Josh way to get a head of the learning curve.

Good god. Are you on his payroll? Jeez, the guy could rip a fart and you would cheer it's aroma as inspired and visionary.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Happens all the time in the NFL. Although i suspect Mcd to get at least another year or two i dont believe his leash will be that long.

Yes ut happens all the time to other franchises.

Rarely in DEN. RARELY in fact OFF the top of my head never in DEN has a choice been fired for only screwing the pooch like someone did the last 15 years in the day one picks those that cost the most to a TEAM in MONEY and setting back development of th team.

IIRC the last caoch WAS mainly fired for the refusal to fire his buttbuddy slowick. But I'm sure that WAS not the only reason. But kind of the straw that broke Pats back.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM
meh MCD has 2 years period in my mind......i have seen good things and bad things from this new regime.....but 2 more non winning seasons or no playoffs.....? well i dont see the point of keeping him around.....

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Good god. Are you on his payroll? Jeez, the guy could rip a fart and you would cheer it's aroma as inspired and visionary.

I just perfer to give and the TEAM as much slack as Y'all gave the prior TEAM and HC.

Seems only fair to me.

Unable to understand why more don't.

Sigining off from ATL.

Tned
09-05-2010, 10:13 AM

It's ABM syndrome.

Rarely in DEN. RARELY in fact OFF the top of my head never in DEN has a choice been fired for only screwing the pooch like someone did the last 15 years in the day one picks those that cost the most to a TEAM in MONEY and setting back development of th team.

IIRC the last caoch WAS mainly fired for the refusal to fire his buttbuddy slowick. But I'm sure that WAS not the only reason. But kind of the straw that broke Pats back.

Ok, so now you're calling Pat Bowlen a liar? :confused: Care to provide some proof that that's why 'mikey' was fired, contrary to what Mr. Bowlen has stated?

Northman
09-05-2010, 10:21 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Didn't you get the memo? As long as fans spew "yea, but mikey did it --- mikey made mistakes..." then McDaniels is in the clear. Nothing is a 'mistake' and if you begrudgingly get an admittance that a mistake was made, then you will be told it's Xanders or someone else's fault.

Imagine pulling that shit in court?

Judge: "Sir, did you fail to pay your taxes?"

You: "Your Honor, it's true I didn't pay my taxes, but since Wesley Snipes didn't pay his taxes and was punished for that, then it's my understanding that I can't be held liable for my own failure to pay taxes. This is clearly established by the "mikey precedent", so I'm guessing I'm free to go now. Hey judge, before you let me go, could you have the court clerk run to Starbucks and get me a skinny latte with a double shot for the road?"

It reminds me of what someone on Mania used to say regarding Jake's **** ups, but now the variation would be:

McDaniels makes mistakes, but others are responsible...

Sorry you feel this way.

Northman
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM

It happened to Wade. Shanny was given the benefit of the doubt because of the SB's. Reeves got a pass because of the appearances. But, if McD doesnt show improvement this year i can see Pat pulling the chain. He's expecting improvement just like he was after Reeves was fired. If Mcd cant deliever than you have to look elsewhere.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Many teams have high draft picks who are total failures - Right now, Leinhart comes to mind. I am sure there are many more.

Northman
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Many teams have high draft picks who are total failures - Right now, Leinhart comes to mind. I am sure there are many more.

Indeed. But we are not worried about those teams.

Tned
09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Sorry you feel this way.

I'm sorry you have so much anger towards mikey that you must turn every thread into an off-topic rant against him (it's not fair to other posters/lurkers on the forum).

We're closing in on two years, it's time to let it go. Especially someone in your condition shouldn't' be holding on to so much anger for so long. Agree with you are not, none of us want that April's Fool's joke to become reality.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 11:00 AM
It's ABM syndrome.

Ok, so now you're calling Pat Bowlen a liar? :confused: Care to provide some proof that that's why 'mikey' was fired, contrary to what Mr. Bowlen has stated?

I heard it WAS his refusal to fire slowick.
If you have something that is contrary feel free to scare it up.

I respect what Pat has done here.

not sure what you saw in my post that got you upside down.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry you have so much anger towards mikey that you must turn every thread into an off-topic rant against him (it's not fair to other posters/lurkers on the forum).

We're closing in on two years, it's time to let it go. Especially someone in your condition shouldn't' be holding on to so much anger for so long. Agree with you are not, none of us want that April's Fool's joke to become reality.

Do not have anger with mikey only those that feel he could do no wrong. And in some cases still do not.

Do not worry about mikey giving me a heart attack being able to not hold my worries in allow it to be better.

Holding it in causes more issues than repressing it.

Finally the panel is fixed going home.

Lunch in first will be nice.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Indeed. But we are not worried about those teams.

Of course we are not worried about those teams, but to single out one coach, who has made mistakes just like every NFL coach has, does not make sense.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 11:13 AM
does he mean "expressing" it instead of represssing it?

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Of course we are not worried about those teams, but to single out one coach, who has made mistakes just like every NFL coach has, does not make sense.

At the same time, Carol, it doesn't make sense to simply gloss over his mistakes because someone else has made them. Those coaches get criticized and demoted/fired because of those mistakes as well. Coaches that don't get fired for them are usually the ones that have had enough success to get a 'bye'.

Simply put, making the same mistakes as others doesn't mean they aren't still mistakes.

Northman
09-05-2010, 11:18 AM

No one's singled him out. We all understand how the NFL works Carol. We are simply discussing his mistakes as he is human just like all coaches as we should as he is the current HC. It doesnt matter who the HC is of the Denver Broncos their decisions on all matters is fair game to critique as thats the whole purpose of this board. Im still baffled why some on here feel that we should only be discussing positive stuff about this team.

topscribe
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM

True, plus it has not been taken into perspective. For instance, they whiffed on
Green, but added Jamal Williams and Justin Bannan. And Ronald Fields and
Le Kevin Smith are still there.

Many question the trade for Brady Quinn. But many of those laud the talents of
Tim Tebow, and Kyle Orton is playing lights out.

There are others: Walton, Beadles, Decker, Thompson, Cox, Mays, Hunter, et al.

Coach & Co. have been in a learning curve, to be sure. But while they have
made their mistakes, they have made some good moves, too.

Yes, the jury's still out. But that means the jury's not in, right?

-----

honz
09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
No one's singled him out. We all understand how the NFL works Carol. We are simply discussing his mistakes as he is human just like all coaches as we should as he is the current HC. It doesnt matter who the HC is of the Denver Broncos their decisions on all matters is fair game to critique as thats the whole purpose of this board. Im still baffled why some on here feel that we should only be discussing positive stuff about this team.

Because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Tned
09-05-2010, 11:32 AM
True, plus it has not been taken into perspective. For instance, they whiffed on

-----

Which is exactly the 'balanced' view that people should be taking. The coaching staff has made some mistakes, but also done a lot right.

That is a MUCH better approach to 'balancing' the mistakes made then simply blindly defending mistakes with "but, mikey made more mistakes", since first, Shanahan isn't the coach anymore, and second, was fired, OR "but, other coaches around the league have made mistakes, too", when I can promise you that their mistakes are being discussed on message boards dedicated to their teams.

Northman
09-05-2010, 11:36 AM
when I can promise you that their mistakes are being discussed on message boards dedicated to their teams.

Absolutely.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
At the same time, Carol, it doesn't make sense to simply gloss over his mistakes because someone else has made them. Those coaches get criticized and demoted/fired because of those mistakes as well. Coaches that don't get fired for them are usually the ones that have had enough success to get a 'bye'.

Simply put, making the same mistakes as others doesn't mean they aren't still mistakes.

Of course they are mistakes - which he admitted that he had made mistakes - so if we keep dwelling on them, what will that accomplish?

Tned
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Of course they are mistakes - which he admitted that he had made mistakes - so if we keep dwelling on them, what will that accomplish?

It's a message board. If we didn't talk about the bad things that have happened with the Broncos the last three years, this would be a pretty dead place, because there haven't been that many good things to talk about.

The problem isn't that mistakes are discussed, the problem is that some (not pointing this at you) posters get personally defensive if a mistake is mentioned, and then choose to lash out at other posters, former coaches, former players, etc.

What's wrong with discussing both the good and the bad about our favorite team? :confused:

Northman
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Who's dwelling? The cuts just happened.

spikerman
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I keep reading about all of the "good things" McDaniels has done since he got here. Can someone point out exactly what those things are? I'm sure there are some good things, but I'm not seeing it on the field.

1. Last year's record was the same as the previous few years. - No improvement there.
2. None of his draft picks so far have proven to be difference makers. They still have time, but since none of them have done a whole lot yet, there is no way to prove that they have made the team better.
3. Through the end of last year and so far this preseason, the defense still seems to have the same problems as the previous regime (can't stop the run) and the offense is no better (in fact worse in scoring).
4. Denver has fewer (ie. none) proven playmakers on offense than when McDaniels took over. Whether you liked the previous players or not, opposing coaches had to be worried about them. Who are they going to worry about on Denver's offense now?
5. McDaniels has had four 1st round picks in two years and none of them have made much of a contribution. In fact, 3 of the 4 were known to be long-term projects when they were drafted. I saw promising things from Ayers in preseason, but I would like to wait to see how he does during the regular season before proclaiming him to be worth a #18 pick.

These are just a few things that go through my mind when I see the praise for what he has done. I don't take football personally so I must be missing something. Please, someone, enlighten me.

topscribe
09-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Which is exactly the 'balanced' view that people should be taking. The coaching staff has made some mistakes, but also done a lot right.

That is a MUCH better approach to 'balancing' the mistakes made then simply blindly defending mistakes with "but, mikey made more mistakes", since first, Shanahan isn't the coach anymore, and second, was fired, OR "but, other coaches around the league have made mistakes, too", when I can promise you that their mistakes are being discussed on message boards dedicated to their teams.

Here is an item from MHR (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/5/1671051/mcx-draft-snapshot#storyjump) that pretty much coincides with what you're saying:

One last quick point: we can't have our cake and eat it too. The "player evaluation problem" that is being blamed for the departure of players like Smith, Green, and even Kirlew, is the exact same process that netted us Cox, Ayers, Decker, Walton, etc. Left unchecked, the attitude that tries to combine the two phenomenon under one heading (i.e. a "player evaluation problem") will eventually try to resolve the contradiction by splitting the heading into what is known as a false dichotomy, which simply means that an unreal alternative is invented to allow them to maintain a contradictory position on an issue. What I am seeing right now is the ressurection of the "McD is rash and arrogant" line, but any number of false dichotomies could be endorsed. As anyone can see, this contains the seeds of its own undoing, in that it just creates a second contradiction that must be straddled as well. If it was rash and arrogant to draft or trade Smith, then it must have been rash and arrogant to draft Cox, or Squid, or Walton... You see how that works? If you humor someone engaging in this kind of self-deception, even if you do it in the form of rebutting dichotomy after dichotomy, eventually you will face them on the battlefield of pure subjectivism, the position that contradictions are a valid form of knowledge. You are the only one who has something to lose in such a face-off, so it is best to just ignore it.

(The entire article can be read at http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/5/1671051/mcx-draft-snapshot#storyjump)

-----

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
lets not twsits facts here people....trading phonz how we had to in the end becasue of what we did in the beginning SUCKS!!!!!..chris simms, jarvis green, ayodele, arrington, trading up for quinn in the draft......these things suck.....props to MCD for cutting ties when he makes a mistake and admits it...but the reality is why is it so suprising for people to be irritated about these moves......

I SURE AS HELL AM IRKED....doesnt mean peoples fanhood or thoughts need to be attacked......these moves suck...while all regimes may have them and have had them, it doesnt take away from the fact that these moves were bad and deserve all the crticism they are getting or will get.....

turftoad
09-05-2010, 01:45 PM
lets not twsits facts here people....trading phonz how we had to in the end becasue of what we did in the beginning SUCKS!!!!!..chris simms, jarvis green, ayodele, arrington, trading up for quinn in the draft......these things suck.....props to MCD for cutting ties when he makes a mistake and admits it...but the reality is why is it so suprising for people to be irritated about these moves......

I SURE AS HELL AM IRKED....doesnt mean peoples fanhood or thoughts need to be attacked......these moves suck...while all regimes may have them and have had them, it doesnt take away from the fact that these moves were bad and deserve all the crticism they are getting or will get.....

Our front office just isn't that great in the personel department.

Bosco
09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
lets not twsits facts here people....trading phonz how we had to in the end becasue of what we did in the beginning SUCKS!!!!!..chris simms, jarvis green, ayodele, arrington, trading up for quinn in the draft......these things suck.....props to MCD for cutting ties when he makes a mistake and admits it...but the reality is why is it so suprising for people to be irritated about these moves...... All of those guys, with the exception of Jarvis Green and maybe Ayodele, were backup/bubble players who didn't make the squad. What's the point in getting irked about them not making it? Every team in the league signs guys like that and some of them don't make it. It's really not a big deal.

spikerman
09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Here is an item from MHR (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/5/1671051/mcx-draft-snapshot#storyjump) that pretty much coincides with what you're saying:

(The entire article can be read at http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/5/1671051/mcx-draft-snapshot#storyjump)

-----

I admit I didn't read the entire article, just the portion you posted, and it makes sense. Except that I would argue his point about where he says, "If it was rash and arrogant to draft or trade Smith, then it must have been rash and arrogant to draft Cox, or Squid, or Walton... ".... we still don't know that those guys will turn out to be good NFL players. They may well and his point would have merit, but the way he worded it made it sound like (at least to me) those guys were already proof of successful personnel decisions. I don't think we can know that yet.

topscribe
09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I admit I didn't read the entire article, just the portion you posted, and it makes sense. Except that I would argue his point about where he says, "If it was rash and arrogant to draft or trade Smith, then it must have been rash and arrogant to draft Cox, or Squid, or Walton... ".... we still don't know that those guys will turn out to be good NFL players. They may well and his point would have merit, but the way he worded it made it sound like (at least to me) those guys were already proof of successful personnel decisions. I don't think we can know that yet.

Your point indeed adds balance to the argument . . .

-----

turftoad
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Add Beadles to that list also.

pnbronco
09-05-2010, 03:28 PM

-----

Great post Top. The jury is out and I will wait and see how it all plays out.

I have no problem with honest assessments of how someone is doing, both good and bad. The problem I'm having is using those assessments to ATTACK the present or past personal, that's what's gotten soooooo OLD.

I am a true believer in he that goes without sin cast the first stone. This last week I made a major bobo with my personal accounting that could have caused a major mess. I went damn, hate that...then fixed it and hopefully learned from my mistake. I will never be at the front of that line and kinda of glad that that's one thing I really don't have to worry about, it's called being human.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
All of those guys, with the exception of Jarvis Green and maybe Ayodele, were backup/bubble players who didn't make the squad. What's the point in getting irked about them not making it? Every team in the league signs guys like that and some of them don't make it. It's really not a big deal.

that fact i even have to explain why it sucks to trade a future 1st rd pick for a 37th pick leaves me to belive your eyes are closed shut no matter what anyone tells you.....

we paid chris simms almost the highest freaking amount for a back-up last year and he sucked miserably so he got paid bank to hold a clipboard, and suck royally...and your wondering why i dont think that was a wise move????

Seriously???? are you high????:lol:......

lets just end this here and i will continue to let you belive the new regime is God and can do no wrong.....

I actually like MCD, but those moves were wack...it happens...but the fact your even wondering why people dont like them....well thats icing on the cake right there......

spikerman
09-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Mark Kiszla and Mike Klis both wrote articles about some of the problems in today's DP.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Our front office just isn't that great in the personel department.

well i dont agree entirely, i like a bunch of moves vs the ones i dont like, but i can be objective and understand those i mentioned that sucked would piss people off with good reason....

I did love the

Buckhalter/Hill/dawkins/Goodman/Haggan/Gaffney/LLoyd/JWILL/Bannan/ FA picks

and I have no issue with the

moreno/ayers/mcbath/bruton/tebow/thomas/walton/olsen/cox/thompson picks.....

so i like more good than bad....

Bosco
09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
that fact i even have to explain why it sucks to trade a future 1st rd pick for a 37th pick leaves me to belive your eyes are closed shut no matter what anyone tells you... I wasn't talking about the Smith trade.

we paid chris simms almost the highest freaking amount for a back-up last year and he sucked miserably so he got paid bank to hold a clipboard, and suck royally...and your wondering why i dont think that was a wise move????

Seriously???? are you high????:lol:......

lets just end this here and i will continue to let you belive the new regime is God and can do no wrong.....

I actually like MCD, but those moves were wack...it happens...but the fact your even wondering why people dont like them....well thats icing on the cake right there......

So Chris Simms is your basis for all the anger? He couldn't be a better example of my earlier post. He's a guy who had shown alot of promise in Tampa and was somewhat familiar with the concepts of this offense from when he worked under Heimerdinger in Tennessee, so we originally brought him in to give us a reliable option behind Cutler. It just so happens that when we actually had to use him in live game action he played like crap so when the season was over we cut our losses and replaced him with guys who are better.

You're acting like these guys carry some lasting negative effect on the team. In reality they're just part of the group that makes up the 25% or so of roster turnover every year.

Elevation inc
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I wasn't talking about the Smith trade.

So Chris Simms is your basis for all the anger? He couldn't be a better example of my earlier post. He's a guy who had shown alot of promise in Tampa and was somewhat familiar with the concepts of this offense from when he worked under Heimerdinger in Tennessee, so we originally brought him in to give us a reliable option behind Cutler. It just so happens that when we actually had to use him in live game action he played like crap so when the season was over we cut our losses and replaced him with guys who are better.

You're acting like these guys carry some lasting negative effect on the team. In reality they're just part of the group that makes up the 25% or so of roster turnover every year.

no thats not how im acting i started off by saying i understand why people would be irritated over certain moves and there is no reason to attack them becasue they didnt like ceratin things, you then got a stiffy and tried to play hero....i then responded with my take on those few moves....

if you really think its a good idea to lump me in as a guy who thinks this regime can do no right....i would suggest watching the internet space your typing on...becasue your off base.....

lets not get into a pissing contest:beer:...i have many posts suppporting much of what MCD does and how this regime runs....but i have every right to disagree with those moves, because they sucked.....it is what it is.....

Bosco
09-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I really have no idea what you're talking about dude. I haven't lumped you in as a McD hater or anything of the sort. In fact, I think you're one of the better and more rational posters on this forum.

Either way, my point is simply that every year, teams have guys that don't work out or get outplayed. It's nothing to get fired up over because it's just the way the NFL works.

I Eat Staples
09-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Fargas was terrible all preseason. Did he even make a single good play? Bruce Hall at least had a couple of good plays from time to time and led us in rushing in 2 of our preseason games.

Yeah, but he at least was able to do some nice things throughout his career when he got the chance.

I suspect that so far the positives of what Josh is doing, FAR out weigh a few bad decisions on roster choices.

What exactly has he done that was good?

Williams and Bannan have looked terrible, although I hope the veterans were just going easy for preseason. Fields and Le Kevin Smith are horrible.

Bosco
09-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Williams and Bannan have looked terrible, although I hope the veterans were just going easy for preseason. Fields and Le Kevin Smith are horrible.

http://www.jedreport.com/pics/mceyeroll.gif

TXBRONC
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I see.

And a defensive back at that. :nod:

topscribe
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.jedreport.com/pics/mceyeroll.gif

That picture had me laugh out loud. Don't do that to me! :lol:

-----

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
It happened to Wade. Shanny was given the benefit of the doubt because of the SB's. Reeves got a pass because of the appearances. But, if McD doesnt show improvement this year i can see Pat pulling the chain. He's expecting improvement just like he was after Reeves was fired. If Mcd cant deliever than you have to look elsewhere.

Are we really sure that wade was fired just because he could not win?

Or do you think Pat figured out what a boob he really was . a fine DC but lousy HC. Happenes all the time.

we all know that the only reason wade was hired in teh first place is Pat would not give him total control like he wanted.

After wade that seemed like a little price to pay. at least at the time that is.

I do not see Pat making a change unless they totally melt down, he has a fine nucleus of young players and perhaps the next FQB . Unless we wind up with less than 4 wins Pat waits it out for a few more years.

Bosco
09-05-2010, 11:34 PM
That picture had me laugh out loud. Don't do that to me! :lol:

-----

Thanks. :D It was the picture I had that must accurately matched my reaction to that post without pissing off the mods.