PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn Trade was a huge bust!

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Agree? Look at Tom Brandstater's stats. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010090252/2010/PRE4/bengals@colts/analyze/box-score

CP/AT: 10/18

178 yards

3 Touchdowns

Huge bust! They should have kept Peyton Hillis & Tom Brandstater! Oh well! Any thoughts?

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Orton, Tebow, and Brandstater would look solid on the depth chart! Moreover, they would have power RB/FB depth chart if they still have Hillis on their roster.

Northman
09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Yea, for a guy who has had time holding the clipboard and some starts under his belt he hasnt shown a lot. Like most players tonight you cant really take too much from it so i wasnt shocked he did well tonight. So the question is, does McD keep him as a 3rd QB or cut him to make room for someone else?

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Yea, for a guy who has had time holding the clipboard and some starts under his belt he hasnt shown a lot. Like most players tonight you cant really take too much from it so i wasnt shocked he did well tonight. So the question is, does McD keep him as a 3rd QB or cut him to make room for someone else?

Good question... Did Brandstater get cut or traded?

Northman
09-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Good question... Did Brandstater get cut or traded?

I believe he was straight up cut.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
09-03-2010, 01:33 AM
I believe he was straight up cut.

He was, it was sad.

DenBronx
09-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I liked both players. Brandstater has been looking good, alot better than Quinn that's for sure.

I'm sure we could have got some decent trade value for Tom if we would have held on to him a couple of years. Kinda like the Chargers did with Whitehurst and the Texans did with Rosenfels.

Bosco
09-03-2010, 02:18 AM
I have a feeling that the same people who are still eating crow after being so down on Orton in the 2009 preseason will get a fresh new helping in 2011 when Brady Quinn looks drastically improved.

Sadly, they won't learn their lesson.

bcbronc
09-03-2010, 02:37 AM
I have a feeling that the same people who are still eating crow after being so down on Orton in the 2009 preseason will get a fresh new helping in 2011 when Brady Quinn looks drastically improved.

Sadly, they won't learn their lesson.

twitter can't spare development time.

Dirk
09-03-2010, 05:46 AM
I like most people wanted to keep Hillis and Brandy. You never know in this league from year to year. Oh well, water under the bridge and time to move on.

SOCALORADO.
09-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Since last season i have noticed much improvement in Orton.
He looks like a New England, MCD type of QB. He looks alot to me like Cassell in NE. (ortons arm strength is still very suspect deep, or his accuracy deep)
Its really impressive to watch a player who many of us thought would never improve as a player, become a very proficient looking, system QB.
You see the same traits developing in our young rookie QB, Tebow. Much more raw, and he has so much more physical talent that its masked at timess, but he has the same Urban Meyer,MCD system style QB traits.

Brady Quinn!?!?! WTF!?!?! Why does he look EXACTLY like he did in CLE?!?!?
He just doesnt process the info and then execute.
Just doesnt. I dunno, its weird. Hes just not getting it. Hes not progressing into
an MCD/system QB to me.

CrazyHorse
09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
He looked okay last night for a Back Up. The reasoning behind Quinn was that he "knew the system" which hasn't seemed to help him much. I would have liked to see what Brandstater could do on the Broncos. The Colts are arguably more talented.

SR
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I can definitely see how you can call Quinn a bust after four preseason games playing with second and third teamers. Makes total sense.

broncofaninfla
09-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Agreed that it's preseason and too early to give an assessment but early indications are Hillis is going to kick *ss in Cleveland while Quinn holds a clip board.

claymore
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
He didnt unseat Orton so I would say he is a bust here. He will never unseat Tebow under this regime, so we might as well axe his ass.

If Orton goes down I couldnt imagine anyone wanting Quinn to get the reps/experience vs Tebow :thefuture: getting them.

BroncoNut
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
He didnt unseat Orton so I would say he is a bust here. He will never unseat Tebow under this regime, so we might as well axe his ass.

If Orton goes down I couldnt imagine anyone wanting Quinn to get the reps/experience vs Tebow :thefuture: getting them.

Orton is actually an above average QB at this point. Why the haters can't embrace that IDK.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Orton is actually an above average QB at this point. Why the haters can't embrace that IDK.

You mean in pre-season?

BroncoNut
09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
You mean in pre-season?
oh, yeah, that's no way to gauge performance. GREAT POINT!!!

claymore
09-03-2010, 09:56 AM

We will see this year. I dont think he is. I also think McD's offense will get exposed again. But we will see either way. :D

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I bet Orton will not be talking shyt to Rivers when we are down by 30.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 09:59 AM

if we ar down by 30.. who cares who's talking crap?

claymore
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM

If he isnt pissed off that the team is down by 30 I dont want him in Denver.

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
if we ar down by 30.. who cares who's talking crap?

I don't want any of our players to look like DB's on national tv. It's not hard for 90% of them.

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
If he isnt pissed off that the team is down by 30 I dont want him in Denver.
Being pissed off and proving to the world that you're a major DB are two different things.

He can join TO in the sulking, look at me group for all I care.

claymore
09-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Being pissed off and proving to the world that you're a major DB are two different things.

He can join TO in the sulking, look at me group for all I care.

Are you talking about McD?

Northman
09-03-2010, 10:05 AM

:lol:

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
LOL. No, about your butt boy Jaye.

Northman
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I just want to know how a thread about a possible 3rd string QB turned into a thread about Cutler. Dude isnt even on the team anymore.

BroncoNut
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
We will see this year. I dont think he is. I also think McD's offense will get exposed again. But we will see either way. :D

this post almost reeks of wishful thinking.

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
I just want to know how a thread about a possible 3rd string QB turned into a thread about Cutler. Dude isnt even on the team anymore.

Cause I'm picking a fight with Gaymore. :laugh:

claymore
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
this post almost reeks of wishful thinking.

I love Orton. I just dont have any faith in this regime.

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
You will come around when we win the SB. :woot:

claymore
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM

I hope you are right!

weazel
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
So we all agree Quinn hasn't looked good
We agree Hillis was a decent back when used
I just dont think it was that bad of a trade... they received a QB who may have worked out for a RB that was not being used. Obviously something about Hillis bothered both the Shanahan and McD staffs because neither wanted to use him until they had to.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2010, 10:30 AM
So we all agree Quinn hasn't looked good
We agree Hillis was a decent back when used
I just dont think it was that bad of a trade... they received a QB who may have worked out for a RB that was not being used. Obviously something about Hillis bothered both the Shanahan and McD staffs because neither wanted to use him until they had to.

Shanahan USED Hillis from game 1.... just not as a primary tailback. As a 250lb fullback, thats not surprising. Sometimes a player has to be 'forced' into a spot before he can show off what he is capable of doing in that role.

Kurt Warner was on how many teams before Vermeil was 'forced' to start him when Green went down?? Vermeil even kept Warner on the list of players that the expansion teams could take for free, because they didn't know how good he was. Why? Because he never got the chance.

Hillis proved he could play that role when ONCE he was on the field and given that opportunity. Sorry if I don't buy in to the "didn't want to use him" stuff that has started to be repeated over and over around here when its not accurate.

weazel
09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Shanahan USED Hillis from game 1.... just not as a primary tailback. As a 250lb fullback, thats not surprising. Sometimes a player has to be 'forced' into a spot before he can show off what he is capable of doing in that role.

Kurt Warner was on how many teams before Vermeil was 'forced' to start him when Green went down?? Vermeil even kept Warner on the list of players that the expansion teams could take for free, because they didn't know how good he was. Why? Because he never got the chance.

Hillis proved he could play that role when ONCE he was on the field and given that opportunity. Sorry if I don't buy in to the "didn't want to use him" stuff that has started to be repeated over and over around here when its not accurate.

very, very sparingly... I'm not arguing about him being used or not used... the fact is, he wasn't.

topscribe
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Orton sucks!

-----

frauschieze
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Orton sucks!

-----

That's totally sig worthy. :heh:

topscribe
09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
That's totally sig worthy. :heh:

I can just see it now: "Concerning your post. Because of your baiting, we the
mods are ordering you to put that in your sig for the course of one year." :eek:

-----

frauschieze
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I can just see it now: "Concerning your post. Because of your baiting, we the
mods are ordering you to put that in your sig for the course of one year." :eek:

-----

Great idea.

Concerning Your Post PM coming your way. :heh:

Lonestar
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Well read a few posts and because it seems to be the same guys that love or hate him. Nothing new.

I see quinn at the same spot Orton WAS last year this time. Semi lost in the scheme

Although it WAS said last night that he had a good game.

Many folks last year because of their hate for the jay/orton trade thought that simms should have been the starter.

Quinn most likelywill not see much time this year but it will give him time in the film room and practice to get his confidence in the scheme.

Like it or not unless he is traded most likley our back up for Tebow in 12.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Great idea.

Concerning Your Post PM coming your way. :heh:

As Jackie Gleason, as Ralph Kramden, used to say . . .

I GOT A BIIIIIG MOOOOUUUUUTTTHHHH!!

-----

Lonestar
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Bandwagoneer

Fans are fans good or bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Agree? Look at Tom Brandstater's stats. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010090252/2010/PRE4/bengals@colts/analyze/box-score

178 yards

3 Touchdowns

Huge bust! They should have kept Peyton Hillis & Tom Brandstater! Oh well! Any thoughts?

There is no way in telling if Brandstater's stats would look that good here or not - i.e. we have had so many injuries thru training camp, and preseason, no one knows how any one would have done/looked thus far.

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't know if we would be that much better off if Brandstater had stayed. At the very least Quinn has some starting experience in meaningful games Brandstater has none. So at this point I think we are a little better off with Quinn.

topscribe
09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
There is no way in telling if Brandstater's stats would look that good here or not - i.e. we have had so many injuries thru training camp, and preseason, no one knows how any one would have done/looked thus far.

True. I'll have to admit, though: Brandstater looked impressive, at least in the highlights.

-----

Overtime
09-03-2010, 01:34 PM

178 yards

3 Touchdowns

really? really?? after 4 pre-season games he's a bust? i will be the first to say he made some dumb decisions and some bad throws, but he wasn't that bad, Orton looked a hell of a lot worse this time last year, and look how he did?

only thing that I can see Quinn really needs a little work on, is not holding on to the ball too long, and not getting rattled when the defense blitzes...other than that, he can be a solid QB with a little more work.

Quinn is a little bit of a project, but I don't think he's a failure by any means.

broncohead
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Everytime I see this thread I read Brady Quinn Traded then I read the rest of it...

Bosco
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Shanahan USED Hillis from game 1.... just not as a primary tailback. As a 250lb fullback, thats not surprising.

Used him for one game, then he lost his starting job to Spencer Larsen and didn't see meaningful playing time again until the Miami game.

broncofaninfla
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Used him for one game, then he lost his starting job to Spencer Larsen and didn't see meaningful playing time again until the Miami game.

Why don't you mention what he did from teh Miami game up until the time he was hurt?

BroncoAV06
09-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Ah Tom is such a stud...

Adam_Schefter Some notable QB cuts: Dolphins cut QB Pat White and Colts cut QB Tom Brandstater.

honz
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Was just gonna post that. I wonder if Josh is tempted to pull the plug on Quinn and take Brandstater back, who at least has some upside. Quinn has looked so bad that it may make some sense.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
"brady quinn trade was a huge bust!"

only to the hillis fanboys and the people who expected quinn to somehow become a superstar once he put on the broncos' helmet.

bcbronc
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Was just gonna post that. I wonder if Josh is tempted to pull the plug on Quinn and take Brandstater back, who at least has some upside. Quinn has looked so bad that it may make some sense.

Quinn looked pretty good in game 4. He's got the tools its just a mattervof making the right reads and being decisive. He showed vs Minn that when he does that he can be an effective QB.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Quinn is Tebows back-up after Orton's extension expires.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
LMAO

Brandstater cut.

What a terrible thread.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
"brady quinn trade was a huge bust!"

only to the hillis fanboys and the people who expected quinn to somehow become a superstar once he put on the broncos' helmet.

That's funny, that's just what our coach was hoping. Guess he was wrong.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Did you know that despite being drafted two years prior, Brady Quinn is actually 3 days younger than Tom Brandstater?

Food for thought.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Everybody knows Hillis was the big talent in that trade. Cleveland will use him quite a bit this season.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 02:39 PM
That's funny, that's just what our coach was hoping. Guess he was wrong.

Yes, which explains why Josh followed that up by drafting another QB in the first round.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes, which explains why Josh followed that up by drafting another QB in the first round.

Which the jury is out on too.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Everybody knows Hillis was the big talent in that trade. Cleveland will use him quite a bit this season.

Nobody won in that trade in terms of "talent".

Hillis is a backup/3rd string RB.

RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

It's like trading your girlfriend, who's a 4 on a scale of 1-10. for a 3 and a 1. You're losing out on the better look, but can find a prettier one at the local pub downtown.

Magnificent Seven
09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Quinn didn't prove anything. Brandstater did.

Magnificent Seven
09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
LMAO

Brandstater cut.

What a terrible thread.

Well. I'd rather brandstater than Quinn. :beer:

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Well. I'd rather brandstater than Quinn. :beer:

I understand that. But you're basing your argument on a preseason game played against irrelevants.

rationalfan
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Quinn didn't prove anything. Brandstater did.

what did brandstater prove? that he can look adequate in a preseason game? bradley van pelt did that too. doesn't mean we need to keep celebrating him.

atwater27
09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Nobody won in that trade in terms of "talent".

Hillis is a backup/3rd string RB.

RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

It's like trading your girlfriend, who's a 4 on a scale of 1-10. for a 3 and a 1. You're losing out on the better look, but can find a prettier one at the local pub downtown.

Bad analogy. Football isn't pretty and neither is Hillis. He is going to kick ass for Cleveland, and we are left with the transvestite in the deal.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Bad analogy. Football isn't pretty and neither is Hillis. He is going to kick ass for Cleveland, and we are left with the transvestite in the deal.

Actually it's a perfect analogy. You're crying spilled milk over a guy that is currently slated as a backup FB, and has been beaten out at RB by juggernauts James Harrison/Montario Hardesty/James Davis, and battling Chris Jennings for the 3rd spot on the depth chart after the Hardesty injury.

Next you're going to tell me Jacob Hester is the real deal too.

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 04:58 PM
what did Brady prove??? :confused: The only thing he's proved, is good enough to be cut by the team that drafted him, and the next team to give him a try. That just proves you aren't good enough.

Bosco
09-04-2010, 06:00 PM
what did Brady prove??? :confused: The only thing he's proved, is good enough to be cut by the team that drafted him, and the next team to give him a try. That just proves you aren't good enough.

You mean Brandstater, right?

atwater27
09-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually it's a perfect analogy. You're crying spilled milk over a guy that is currently slated as a backup FB, and has been beaten out at RB by juggernauts James Harrison/Montario Hardesty/James Davis, and battling Chris Jennings for the 3rd spot on the depth chart after the Hardesty injury.

Fabiano talking about Jerome Harrison...
What’s more, a new threat to his workload has emerged – Peyton Hillis.

Hillis, who reminds me a lot of Mike Alstott, has seen playing extensive time with the first-team offense. He also appears to be the favorite red-zone option for coach Eric Mangini
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/fantasy/

Don't be so quick to sell the guy short. Unless your goal is to provide damage control for McDaniels. In that case, continue...

Tned
09-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Not sure where you are getting your information, or possibly you're just making some assumptions, but you seem to be pretty far off target.

I've been curious, so I have been doing Google news searches on Hillis every once in a while and it is pretty clear that what you describe does not mirror reality. He is described by numerous reporters as the biggest surprise of camp, the guy that's made the biggest move, the bright spot in camp, etc.

Even before the injury, the speculation by the Cleveland beat reporters (which was based both on the play in TC and preseason games, along with comments by the HC), was that he would be in line for RB carries on game day. Not the 'starter' getting the majority of carries, but one of three backs in a RB committee that would get carries each week, along with getting work and carries out of the FB spot. On top of that you heard the same rave reviews about his versatility and receiving work (both from reporters and the HC).

So, while he is unlikely to be the next LT, your description of how the Cleveland backfield is shaking out seems to be pretty far off target.

Lonestar
09-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Wish my adoptee well good kid.

:focus:
Also think Quinn will come around this coming year in learning the scheme and getting reps in practice.

If he does not then we will have to come up witha replacement back up for 12 when Orton moves on. Till then IIRC his contract is manageable. Unlike simms.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2010, 11:03 AM
You mean Brandstater, right?

Yeah. that meant to be "BraNdy"....

Bosco
09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah. that meant to be "BraNdy"....

I thought so. That was of course after you sent me on a Google search trying to find out if Quinn got cut again because frankly, nothing would have surprised me yesterday. :tsk:

:D