broncobryce
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
They're fitting him now. Looks nice.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Not sure what the thread is really about... thats my thought

LRtagger
09-02-2010, 09:23 PM
It's about who you think Phonz will thank during his acceptance speech in Canton.

TXBRONC
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
If he keeps getting torched like he did it against the Vikings N.F.L. will take on a whole different meaning than National Football League.

Northman
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
More like the HOS. Hall of Shame.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2010, 09:58 PM
More like the HOS. Hall of Shame.

HOB.... Hall of Busts

Northman
09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
HOB.... Hall of Busts

I dont know, he might do well in Arena League. It did wonders for Marcus Nash.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I dont know, he might do well in Arena League. It did wonders for Marcus Nash.

If only that league still existed.... damn

DenBronx
09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
you know a guy sucks really bad when he gets a pick and still gets slammed by the fans.

i would have loved earl thomas at pick 14.

Northman
09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
you know a guy sucks really bad when he gets a pick and still gets slammed by the fans.

If he had gotten the pick against Favre or someone more note worthy i might pause. But, a third string QB? Then to allow a guy to go 63 yds for a TD. Nah. He is who i thought he was.

TXBRONC
09-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Seriously I'm not trying to slam him. But when a guy gets toasted like he did as well as interferce call it can get him cut.

dogfish
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
my thought is that the talk about him being on the bubble was accurate. . . has he been back on returns at all prior to tonight?

i haven't paid the closest attention to it, but it looked to me like they wanted to get an extended look at him in that capacity tonight. . . and they also gave both syd and vaughn return duty as well. . . i'm obviously just guessing here, but i kinda suspect they've got those guys in a battle for the last corner spot, and wanted to see if smith has enough value there to make him worth the spot. . . mcD seems pretty bullish on having guys play ST or offer some positional versatility-- JMO of course, but i suspect josh is asking himself right now if he can really keep smith over some of the other promising young DBs we have. . .

i'd put it at about fifty-fifty right now, although ultimately i suspect we end up keeping both smith and syd, and PSing vaughn. . . we'll see. . .

slightly off-topic, but IMO brady quinn is still one of the toughest roster spots to justify. . . and i'm going to freakin' hate it if somebody like syd, eric olsen or matt willis gets cut so that placeholder can keep a spot warm for a year. . .

:tsk:

Northman
09-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Great points. I havent seen the game replay yet but judging by the stats it looks like Thompson kind of had a quiet night while Vaughn had some tackles and last i looked lead in return yardage. But i have to watch the game to fully see how they did.

Bosco
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
4 tackles, 1 interception, 1 pass deflection and a fumble recovery. Sounds like he had himself a pretty good night, no?

Northman
09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
4 tackles, 1 interception, 1 pass deflection and a fumble recovery. Sounds like he had himself a pretty good night, no?

Sure. If he was playing against 1st stringers.

Bosco
09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Sure. If he was playing against 1st stringers.

But when Sydquan has a good game against 2nd and 3rd stringers, he's outplaying Smith? I'm pretty sure that's the exact claim you've made.

Once again, people see what they want to see.

Northman
09-02-2010, 11:34 PM
But when Sydquan has a good game against 2nd and 3rd stringers, he's outplaying Smith? I'm pretty sure that's the exact claim you've made.

Once again, people see what they want to see.

I said Thompson had the edge because he brought more to the table in regards to return ability. Tonight, he took a step back. Smith did well but i wont put much stock into it because against 3rd string QB's i expect him to be somewhat decent. But we dont need a guy who is great against 3rd stringers. We need one that can do those things against elite players.

Bosco
09-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I said Thompson had the edge because he brought more to the table in regards to return ability. Tonight, he took a step back. Smith did well but i wont put much stock into it because against 3rd string QB's i expect him to be somewhat decent. But we dont need a guy who is great against 3rd stringers. We need one that can do those things against elite players.

No, you said exactly what I thought you said. Here's just a few of them.

And yet outplayed by the other DB's aside from Jones. Missing tackles is not having a great game, something he has been prone to do thus far in the preseason. Considering where he was taken in the draft its not what i would call "great". But hey, maybe your standards are far lower who knows. :confused:

Im still baffled as too why Smith who was taken before a crapload of DB's last year (who are starters and playing well) and is being outplayed by rookies this year is getting defended for being average at best? I have yet to hear one solid reason to his poor fundamentals and lack of being a difference maker.

Emm, no its not. You say he was impressive, i say he was playing the same and still outplayed by other players. My whole point when it comes to Smith is that he hasnt lived up to where he was taken in the draft. Ive given plenty of examples of other players who are doing better than he is in the same time frame. Ive done a great job at laying out my points. Even if you try to base his playing off this game alone he still wasnt the best player at his position on the field. Again, i dont know what else to tell you.

Northman
09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
For most of the preseason he has been outplayed where have i been wrong on that? Everyone knows the final preseason game is when the coaches go through their depth players to see what they have. Its the worst game of the preseason to "proclaim" a player great. Im not sure what your trying to prove here. He had a great night against the bottom of the barrell. Where am i wrong on that? lmao

Bosco
09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
For most of the preseason he has been outplayed where have i been wrong on that? Everyone knows the final preseason game is when the coaches go through their depth players to see what they have. Its the worst game of the preseason to "proclaim" a player great. Im not sure what your trying to prove here. He had a great night against the bottom of the barrell. Where am i wrong on that? lmao

I'm simply pointing out how you're looking for evidence to reinforce your opinion rather than forming your opinion off the evidence. Case in point, when Sydquan has good games against 2nd and 3rd stringers, it's enough to declare that he's outplaying someone who has mainly played against the starters and 2nd stringers. Then, when the situation is flipped, the level of competition is somehow relevant again.

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Wait and see....

Buff
09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
my thought is that the talk about him being on the bubble was accurate. . . has he been back on returns at all prior to tonight?

i haven't paid the closest attention to it, but it looked to me like they wanted to get an extended look at him in that capacity tonight. . . and they also gave both syd and vaughn return duty as well. . . i'm obviously just guessing here, but i kinda suspect they've got those guys in a battle for the last corner spot, and wanted to see if smith has enough value there to make him worth the spot. . . mcD seems pretty bullish on having guys play ST or offer some positional versatility-- JMO of course, but i suspect josh is asking himself right now if he can really keep smith over some of the other promising young DBs we have. . .

i'd put it at about fifty-fifty right now, although ultimately i suspect we end up keeping both smith and syd, and PSing vaughn. . . we'll see. . .

slightly off-topic, but IMO brady quinn is still one of the toughest roster spots to justify. . . and i'm going to freakin' hate it if somebody like syd, eric olsen or matt willis gets cut so that placeholder can keep a spot warm for a year. . .

If Willis gets cut I'm gonna go all claymore on everybody.

shank
09-03-2010, 01:53 AM
sometimes, while reading the things that dogfish says, i nod approvingly.

bcbronc
09-03-2010, 02:42 AM

I just nod off.

:heh:

dogfish
09-03-2010, 02:50 AM

^^ i approve of this post ^^

LRtagger
09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Finally the Broncos have a player they can be proud of wearing the #22. Can't wait to see 22 hanging on the ring.

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm pretty sure he's done enough to warrant a spot on the roster.

SOCALORADO.
09-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Cut Alphie.
Keep Squid and Vaughn

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Cut Alphie.
Keep Squid and Vaughn

I think Dog could very well be right that Thompson and Smith make the roster and Vaughn goes to the practice squad.

CrazyHorse
09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
He played okay... That touchdown given up to Walker was pretty ugly. After that he just stood on the field looking confused. I'd still rather have him than Jones or Vaughn.

SOCALORADO.
09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
I think Dog could very well be right that Thompson and Smith make the roster and Vaughn goes to the practice squad.

Now if only BALT would lose another CB. Then DEN could trade Alphie's tiny, miniture, hello kitty sized self and get a consolation pick/player in return.

CrazyHorse
09-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Now if only BALT would lose another CB. Then DEN could trade Alphie's tiny, miniture, hello kitty sized self and get a consolation pick/player in return.

Knock him on his play not his size. He's not any shorter than Terrence McGee, Ellis Hobbs, or even Hall of Famer Darrell Green. It's his play that's been coming up short.

SOCALORADO.
09-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Knock him on his size. He's not any shorter than Terrence McGee, Ellis Hobbs, or even Hall of Famer Darrell Green. It's his play that's been coming up short.

Darrell Green is the greatest CB to ever play the position, but it was his ability to play big, and make plays all day that made him great. Non stop motor, non stop tackler, non stop playmaker. Just non stop all game!

Alphie is a little player who plays little.

TXBRONC
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM

Knock him on his size. He's not any shorter than Terrence McGee, Ellis Hobbs, or even Hall of Famer Darrell Green. It's his play that's been coming up short.

Darrell Green is the greatest CB to ever play the position, but it was his ability to play big, and make plays all day that made him great. Non stop motor, non stop tackler, non stop playmaker. Just non stop all game!

Alphie is a little player who plays little.

His actual height isn't issue imo. However, he seems to play small which can also happen with taller corner backs as well.

Nomad
09-03-2010, 08:55 AM

You could go 'MUG on claymore' on everybody!:D

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Here is what I saw with Phonz.

touchdown saving tackle (after Syd wiffed)
mediocre punt return, where he got hurt
nice interception, but I think he was slowed by his hurt leg and got caught by the QB (who looks like a decent athelete)
a few more nice tackles
a pass interference penalty
got his feet tangled, fell, and gave up a long TD pass to J Walker
recovered a fumble (I think it was Syd who forced the fumble though)

I thought he had a decent game, definately the best game of his pre-season. Syd has looked better during the pre-season IMO though.

The good news is that we have a pretty good secondary, the bad news is we are going to let some talent go.

BroncoNut
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I was going to start a similar thread, but you beat me to it Rag. I see some potential in this young player when he gets in the right system and gels.

LRtagger
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Come on dude don't lie. You know you gave me a MHS for my op.

dogfish
09-03-2010, 07:34 PM
:laugh:

nbenallo33
09-04-2010, 12:28 AM
is he even gonna make the team? hmmmm i think this thread was a joke but i might be a little late on this.. he might as well be a first round bust along with knowsho

Northman
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Not bad, got a TE and a pick for him. :coffee:

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Well LR I guess Smith's Hall of Fame career will have to take off in Detriot. :cool:

LRtagger
09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Great googly moogly

TXBRONC
09-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Great googly moogly

The quote of the day. :beer: :lol:

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
HOB.... Hall of Busts

Do you have next weeks winning lotto numbers?

Ravage!!!
09-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Do you have next weeks winning lotto numbers?

I don't know why you are trying to get all defensive for our traded away player we used a first round pick on.

BTW.. the "have the winning lottery numbers" comment, has been WAyyyyy over-used. Might want to find another.

I know this..... my guess on the lottery numbers, has about as much of a chance of being a winner, and Phons does in the NFL :lol: