PDA

View Full Version : Ball in Broncos backfield after tough trip

Lonestar
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Ball in Broncos backfield after tough trip
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 09/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Lance Ball, an undrafted running back, had a 43-yard gallop Sunday vs. the Steelers and averaged 7.5 yards on 10 carries. (John Leyba, The Post)
From the road more traveled, the New Jersey Turnpike, two Broncos running backs took entirely different routes to get to Denver.

The drive was fast lane all the way for Knowshon Moreno, but there has been no freeway ride for Lance Ball. He's traveled the long way around.

Ball, the Broncos' leading rusher during the preseason (119 yards), and Moreno, the Broncos' top rusher last year (947), practiced together Tuesday afternoon for the first time since the opening day of camp.

One is battling to get back on the field as a starter for the season opener. The other has been battling for a spot on the regular-season roster and might start the season opener.

"Knowshon and I have talked about how weird it's been," Ball said Tuesday. "Two guys from Jersey in Colorado."

Ball, born in June 1985, and Mo- reno, 25 months younger, grew up 50 miles apart — Moreno southwest of New York City near the Jersey Shore and Ball northwest of Manhattan in Teaneck, N.J. "Northern Jersey is the real Jersey," Ball said.

Both were all-state running backs.

Ball decided to play at the University of Maryland. "Georgia was my second choice," he said. Two years later Moreno picked the University of Georgia, over Maryland.

The 5-foot-9, 220-pound Ball split time as the feature back at Maryland, rushing for 2,487 yards with 26 touchdowns, but was not drafted in 2008. The 5-11, 210-pound Moreno finished his collegiate career with 2,734 yards and 30 touchdowns, and was selected in the first round by the Broncos in 2009.

Moreno received a five- year, $23 million ($13 million guaranteed) contract and played in 16 games as a rookie. Ball has earned $5,200 a week ($88,000 max) for two seasons on four NFL teams' practice squads. He was activated for the last game of the 2008 season by the Colts and ran for 83 yards, but was cut last season.

Their two roads met here.

"It would be nice to have a little more money in my pocket and be established in the NFL, but I think I've proven that if you continue to work hard, you'll get your opportunity to prove yourself," Ball said.

So, while Moreno, for consecutive years, rehabilitates before the season — he termed himself 80 percent Tuesday as he recovers from a hamstring tear — Ball has gotten to run with and catch the ball. He has outlasted three released running backs and averaged 5.7 yards in 21 rushes — with a very impressive dash of 43 yards Sunday against the Steelers. He also has five receptions for 39 yards, including a 15-yard touchdown.

And yet, everybody has been whining about the Broncos' lack of running game, yearning for the return of Moreno and Correll Buck- halter.

Ball carries on.

"Coach (Josh) McDaniels always says, 'What's your value to the team?' I'm trying to show I'm valuable."

Ball has a bachelor's degree with a major in family studies and a minor in community health, and he was all-ACC in his sophomore season with 903 yards rushing. But, in his junior and senior seasons, Ball shared the load with Keon Lattimore, and his numbers dropped to 815 and 760 yards. It could have been worse. Moreno might have gone to Maryland.

Ball was befuddled by not getting drafted. Scouts believed he was undersized and not fast enough to get to the outside. The Rams signed Ball as a free agent, used him in four exhibitions, placed him on the eight-man practice squad, then cut him at the end of September. The Colts picked him up for their practice squad in 2008, then cut him before last season.
He joined the Titans' practice squad a year ago, but never suited up because of the presence of 2,000-yarder Chris Brown and backup LenDale White.

The Titans released Ball, and the Broncos grabbed him in November of last year — for their practice squad.

Oddly enough, the Broncos will face all three of Ball's former teams this season. "I've circled those games on the schedule," Ball said.

Soon, however, he no longer will be eligible for practice squads.

"This is do-or-die for me," Ball said. "I have had my struggles. Finally, I've gotten my break. I have to make a role for myself."

If he starts on the real squad at Jacksonville, "I'm not high maintenance. I won't feel any pressure. I've prepared for this."

Ball has been told by a few fantasy football players that he's on their team. He hopes to justify their faith. "I'm doing what I love."

McDaniels said Tuesday that Ball has "got a burst to him. He's shown some good run ability on first and second downs, and he's also been the most dependable guy we've had in there."

"Jersey Boys," the play, had a successful short run in Denver. Jersey Guys, the players, are now looking for successful long runs in Denver.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Read more: Paige: Ball in Broncos backfield after tough trip - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15957396#ixzz0yKM9cdWd

rcsodak
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Hope he makes it. I like underdogs.