PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have few players left from recent drafts

Lonestar
09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Broncos have few players left from recent drafts

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 09/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos' 2009 draft has produced two starters: running back Knowshon Moreno and linebacker Robert Ayers, above. (Denver Post file photo)
The 2010 Broncos are not exactly a team built from within. You would expect that to be the case when an NFL franchise has recently had coaching and general manager changes.

A new regime may prefer the type of players the previous regime did not.

But as the roster cutdown to 53 players approaches this weekend, it's clear the Broncos will be, in large part, a collection of players brought from other teams when all is said and done.

Start with the 2004 draft, the one with linebacker D.J. Williams in it. He is the only one of the 10 players the Broncos selected in that draft still on their roster. Most of the rest are out of the league.

The Broncos have no players left from their six-player draft class in 2005, which included the late Darrent Williams. The Broncos have only two players left from their 2006 draft class (Chris Kuper and Elvis Dumervil), three from their 2007 draft class (Jarvis Moss, Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas) and two from their 2008 draft class (Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal and Spencer Larsen).

The Broncos selected 36 players in the draft from 2004 to 2008. Only nine remain on the roster, just 25 percent*. Sure, players get injured and coaching staffs change in the NFL. But that total is still low when compared with the teams that have sustained success in recent years.

The Broncos selected 10 players in the 2009 draft, Josh McDaniels' first year as Denver's coach. Two of the 10 already are gone. Others appear to be in danger of not making the team.

Denver's 2009 draft has produced two starters: Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers. But Moreno, a running back from Georgia and the 12th pick overall in 2009, has missed both of his NFL training camps because of injuries.

Even with a quality showing from McDaniels' two draft classes when the 53-man roster is completed, the Broncos could go into their Sept. 12 season opener at Jacksonville with fewer than half the players in uniform having arrived with their draft picks.
There are plenty of ways to build an NFL team. But over the long haul, it's more difficult without using your own guys as the foundation.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

* an improvement for the overall DAY one picks while mikey was here of 15 %

Read more: Analysis: Broncos have few players left from recent drafts - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15953884?source=rsssimplepiebroncos#ixzz0yKKRoj Y2

broncohead
09-01-2010, 10:15 PM
McD hasn't been here long enough to compare the 2 imo. Also how many were on the roster before McD took over and got rid of Shannys players

Ravage!!!
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
yeah.. we would still have some if we hadn't gotten rid of each and every one that was starting for the team just two years ago. Not exactly a brilliant statement to make by saying they aren't on the team when the current coach keeps trading them off.

BeefStew25
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Mr. Thread Starter, you should learn how to format! HA!

No, seriously, I can't even read what you posted. It is like if one of my cats got into my wine coolers and then typed! LOL!

Lonestar
09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Mr. Thread Starter, you should learn how to format! HA!

No, seriously, I can't even read what you posted. It is like if one of my cats got into my wine coolers and then typed! LOL!

Like I care read it or not no skin OFF my johnson. RIF

Bosco
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
That 2004 Draft was pathetic.

FanInAZ
09-02-2010, 12:16 AM
OK, so we only have 25% of the players we drafted from '04 to '08. How does that stack up to the rest of the league? What's the league average, high and low?

pnbronco
09-02-2010, 12:20 AM
That 2004 Draft was pathetic.

Man it really was....I looked up who was in that draft:

1 DJ Williams
2a Tatum Bell
2b Darius Watts
3 Jeremy LeSueur
5 Jeff Shoate
6a Triandos Luke
6b JoshSewell
7a Matt Mauck
7b Brandon Miree
7c Bradlee Van Pelt

Since the 2005 was on the same page here it is:

2 Darrent Williams
3a Karl Paymah
3b Domonique Foxworth
3c Maurice Clarett
6 Chris Myers
7 Paul Ernster

Magnificent Seven
09-02-2010, 12:42 AM
McD hasn't been here long enough to compare the 2 imo. Also how many were on the roster before McD took over and got rid of Shannys players

True

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 12:57 AM
OK, so we only have 25% of the players we drafted from '04 to '08. How does that stack up to the rest of the league? What's the league average, high and low?

who cares the fact that we sucked would not be excused by others having bad drafts.

Looked up day one drafts for mikey since he got here 18% of them got a second contract in DEN.

Less that 20% of the players you need to build your franchise with.

I'm not going to go and look it up and research it BUT I'll bet dollars to donuts few decent franchises are that bad.

and the good to great ones I suspect have mostly built their franchises with draft choices.

While we had some decent day two and three picks stick as everyone says it is unlikely your going to find great players there, just backups and camp fodder.

Wonder if we could have had more than 6 count them SIX players on day one resign and give us great play over all of those years.

let me add that of those 8 players left how many are starters and not second teamers. or special team players.

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Man it really was....I looked up who was in that draft:

1 DJ Williams
2a Tatum Bell
2b Darius Watts
3 Jeremy LeSueur
5 Jeff Shoate
6a Triandos Luke
6b JoshSewell
7a Matt Mauck
7b Brandon Miree
7c Bradlee Van Pelt

Since the 2005 was on the same page here it is:

2 Darrent Williams
3a Karl Paymah
3b Domonique Foxworth
3c Maurice Clarett
6 Chris Myers
7 Paul Ernster

pretty pathetic huh?

two players that got a second contract with us and one was tater. after he got cut loose in DET and carried off luggage. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

and using a #2, in the top 60 players, to grab a one handed WR that is beyond funny.

DenBronx
09-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Josh cleaned house when he got here. Got rid of some not so good players and got rid of some pro bowlers. Otherwise we would still have alot of those draftees.

We also switched schemes on BOTH sides of the ball. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense and going from WCO to a Run and Gun/Spread hybrid on offense.

Not to mention the coaches.

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Do you really think any of the D players were worth keping.

Most that we cut are no longer in the NFL.

As for jay and bm do you rally think either would have been happy in a very controlled spread O with Josh at the wheel. Besides not all that sure we could have afforded all the fat contracts that would have been required to keep them happy.

So the probowlers are gone because they did not want to fit into the TEAM.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bosco
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
2005 wasn't too bad. D-Will was showing promise, Foxworth was more or less solid while he was here and even covered for us at safety. I'm still of the opinion that Paymah should have been converted to safety where he probably would have found a home. Myers has had a solid career even though we traded him off to the Texans.

Really, the only failures from that draft were Clarett (risk/reward guy who was a huge flop) and Ernster, who apparently washed out because he tried to become a mini-Sauerbrun.

Traveler
09-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Is it me or was that article a very sad (but true) indictment of Shanahan and the FO?

My only iconcern with the present regime is that they have continued trying to stock the DL with free agents. Sooner or later, they have to start bringing in drafted players to help build a solid foundation for the future.

Last I checked, Marcus Thomas is the only player on the DL that we drafted. Everyone else are FA's. I do realize that Dumervil & Moss were former DE's, so don't chew me out.

Still a sad commentary though.

Dirk
09-02-2010, 05:58 AM
We all know that Shanny's drafts weren't good. Outside of a few standouts. Let's all be truthful.

McD's draft choices need a little more time to really make an honest assessment. Outside of the debacle which seems to be Phonz. I sure hope the kid can do something this year if he is still with the team.

On a side note, the statistics are just another way to provide proof that the owners need the slotted rookie salary cap.

rcsodak
09-02-2010, 07:10 AM
yeah.. we would still have some if we hadn't gotten rid of each and every one that was starting for the team just two years ago. Not exactly a brilliant statement to make by saying they aren't on the team when the current coach keeps trading them off.
square pegs.....round holes. Numerous years of mediocrity....missed playoffs.... It was time for an overhaul. And it needed to start at the top.

rcsodak
09-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Like I care read it or not no skin OFF my johnson. RIF
My sentiments exactly. Evidently noob doesn't know what a PM is. :coffee:

rcsodak
09-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Josh cleaned house when he got here. Got rid of some not so good players and got rid of some pro bowlers. Otherwise we would still have alot of those draftees.

We also switched schemes on BOTH sides of the ball. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense and going from WCO to a Run and Gun/Spread hybrid on offense.

Shanny was well on his way to converting to a 3-4. Wonder how long THAT would have taken?

Nomad
09-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Shanny was well on his way to converting to a 3-4. Wonder how long THAT would have taken?

Too bad he wasted a top pick on a QB in 06 instead of a top DL like Ngata!!:coffee:

sneakers
09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
It is like if one of my cats got into my wine coolers and then typed! LOL!

:lol:

(I also enjoy how you include your cats in everyone of your posts)

pnbronco
09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Dirk is so agree with your observations of needing a slotted rookie salary cap. Also I really like Shanny but his drafts were not great. I didn't read the article as a cut on Shanny but how it's hard to build a team from the inside out if you don't draft players that can produce earlier than later and but also can grow with your team.

I was listening to "The Fan" yesterday and they were talking to Darren Woodson. He said that Jimmy Johnson was a great at drafts and that when they Cowboys won the Super Bowls it was because Jimmy was so skilled at that part of the process. Also he said Parcell is really good it too and credited Parcell to a lot of the good players they have right now. He said the guys in between, not so much and that's why the Cowboys had some really lean years there.

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Jimmy J had some great drafts becaue he had a boatload of picks and if you remember he WAS fresh out of the college ranks and got a lot of feed back from his ciaching buddies far more than the normal NFL scouts get. As well as he scouted a lot of those same players whne they WAS applying to his school so he had more than just college game film on them.

The hersel walker trade gave him a huge leg up on the other teams.

But if you note after those first few drafts he became very average in bringing in talent. Once his college advantage went away.

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
square pegs.....round holes. Numerous years of mediocrity....missed playoffs.... It was time for an overhaul. And it needed to start at the top.

Mikey certainly stunk it up on day one with only good picks from the lb spots. 3 of them but beyond that not real swift. Even fubared the pierce pick at LB. IMHO mikeys choice made little sense either. At least when weighing the true needs of the TEAM.

rcsodak
09-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Too bad he wasted a top pick on a QB in 06 instead of a top DL like Ngata!!:coffee:
Couldn't have said it better......

Lonestar
09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Couldn't have said it better......

That WAS really the only reason I could not embrace jay. We had much greater needs than QB and as we all know ven he could not save mikey from self destructing. In fact WAS probably the reason for it. Got a plane to catch. Later

turftoad
09-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Exactly!!

elsid13
09-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Denver is slightly above average. The number would better if McDaniels wouldn't have traded or release some of the younger player for later drafts.

OrangeHoof
09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
The hersel walker trade gave him a huge leg up on the other teams.

But hasn't McDaniels *had* the equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade in the bounty of picks that he got from dealing Cutler and Marshall?

And what has he drafted?

A running back who can't stay healthy. A quarterback who can't throw. A defensive back who's too small to cover, a WR who has already missed part of this year's camp with injuries and a DE converted to LB who was worthless last season but may actually wind up being the only decent pick of the bunch.

When Legwold writes this column again in 2015, we'll shake our heads in dismay that McDaniels did such a crap-tastic job in the first two rounds of his first two drafts and point to why Head Coach Kubiak has so very few of McDaniels' picks still around in Denver.

OrangeHoof
09-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Is it me or was that article a very sad (but true) indictment of Shanahan and the FO?

It's you. You do realize, of course, that the average life span of an NFL player in the league is 3-4 years. Going back to 2004 and 2005 in 2010 is like going back to the wishbone era.

Just curious but...how many Saints are still in New Orleans from their 2004 draft? How many Steelers are still around from their 2004 draft? Between free agency and regime changes, the only players who don't change uniforms over 6-7 years are the superstars like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Pretty much every one else plays musical chairs either from injuries, cuts, free agency or trades. Guys who stay around with one team for a long time who aren't pro bowlers are pretty rare.

Lonestar
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Do you think those other players including jay and bm would have thrived in a controlled scheme or do what they did best cause locker room issues andd whine and pout.

Were any of the players really worth keeping.

The entire D save dj and champ were crap even in the old scheme. Had a few bit players bu for the most part what did not gt flushed last year goes this year or really steps up.

I know many are bitter about jay leaving. But IMO they will see down the line he WAS really never going to live up to their freams.

weazel
09-03-2010, 03:15 PM

except most of them aren't even playing for any team anymore...