PDA

View Full Version : Mini Predator AKA Syd the Squid.

underrated29
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
I think some are a little pumped from our first pre season win. And I like the cool aid just as much as the next guy. Often times I am making that shit. But I think that we might need to temper our expectations of our boy Sydquan.

I see people already claiming he could be a good #3/4 cb for us.

Yes, he had a pick6. It was a gift, but a pick 6 nonetheless. And yes the guy can return kicks really well. But lets also try and keep in mind folks, this was 1 game in the 3rd and 4th quarter against backups, and a 3rd string QB. I like the guy. I really do. I even had him in one of my pre draft evaluations this year. But lets be real.

Do you really think against the likes of peyton manning, reggie wayne, peirre garcon, anthony Gonzales and dallas clark that Syd is going to be able to hold his own? Yes, he has talent and skills and is a great corner, if not for us pathetic 40 yard dash he would have gone a lot higher, perhaps even 3/4th rd. But Peyton and his crew make solid defenses look silly.

Peyton always makes us look silly. Last year he made champ, goody, ty law and woodyard look silly. Do you honestly believe that he wont destroy the rookie? (now granted syd probably wont be in, it will be cox as the #3 or nate:tsk:jones) But point is there.

He had 1 good game, approx 2 quarters against backups. If not for his pick 6 would any of you even be thinking of him as a cb, or just a returner? Not hating on the guy, but want to see what everyone thinks. I think we might have gone overboard on the guy a bit premature.

BeefStew25
08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL! I sure like his first name! ha!

Northman
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SnfjGx_-ZPE/S4vvuTnDHkI/AAAAAAAAA6w/mTGX8C3Joeg/S660/Sid.jpg

Who knew he had jets?

shank
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
he had a nice pass breakup near the goalline. i don't remember them testing his side too much, so he could have been covering well... i don't have the game recorded, so i can't review his performance. i think the kids got skills though.

trap DEEZ
08-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Last year he made champ, goody, ty law and woodyard look silly. Do you honestly believe that he wont destroy the rookie? (now granted syd probably wont be in, it will be cox as the #3 or nate:tsk:jones) But point is there.

He had 1 good game, approx 2 quarters against backups. If not for his pick 6 would any of you even be thinking of him as a cb, or just a returner? Not hating on the guy, but want to see what everyone thinks. I think we might have gone overboard on the guy a bit premature.

not saying our D didn't fall apart last year at the end of the Colts game, but those guys you mentioned held Peyton and Co in check for 3 whole quarters, and had our offense not consisted of just Orton to Marshall ALL game, and our obvious redzone inabilities, that game is a WAY different result.

With the right defensive schemes and the tutelage of Champ and Dawk for our very promising young DBs, you can't slight the guy one bit.. I'm sure Perrish has already learned a ton from these vets..

broncobryce
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah he looked pretty good. I'm sipping the kool-aid, tastes pretty good, but I'm not guzzling it. He should make the team and let's see how he does against some higher competition.
He looked GREAT as a returner though. I'll drink to that.

underrated29
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
not saying our D didn't fall apart last year at the end of the Colts game, but those guys you mentioned held Peyton and Co in check for 3 whole quarters, and had our offense not consisted of just Orton to Marshall ALL game, and our obvious redzone inabilities, that game is a WAY different result.

With the right defensive schemes and the tutelage of Champ and Dawk for our very promising young DBs, you can't slight the guy one bit.. I'm sure Perrish has already learned a ton from these vets..

I think you got it slightly twisted my man. IIRC we spoted the colts a 21-3 lead or something. We let them burn us the first quarter. Then we held them in check the reaming part until they got one last one on us at/ near the end of the game.

But you are right. we definitely let them off the hook. Was sooo pissed that game.

But I am not ready to crown syd yet, Potential is there, but 2 quarters against backups will not do it for me. Esp when we play a team like the colts early this year.

I Eat Staples
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
I think he has potential to develop into a #3 or #4 corner. He's not even close just yet. The only glaring weakness I see in him is that he's elusive, but not that fast.

I like him as our starting punt returner this year. He shouldn't see the field as a CB. I just hope he makes the roster to return punts.

dogfish
08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
clearly, you're right that we haven't seen anywhere near enough to make any rational judgement on him. . .

i won't lie, though, i'm excited to see what he can do, and i hope we keep him around. . . i certainly don't see any reason to think he CAN'T develop into a solid nickel or dime corner. . . he has adequate skills, and more importantly, he just seems to have that aggressive mentality that corners need so bad, and i think that can go a long way. . .

as you said, it's early, but so far all indications are positive. . . we'll see, but he has the look of a guy who can stick in this league. . . you're right that the INT was thrown right to him, but it's nice to see him grab it and take it to the house, rather than drop it and stand there looking at his hands like plenty of guys have done over the years. . . it's natural for people to get excited about a guy who's finding ways to make plays in limited opportunities-- i'm sure the coaching staff has noticed that as well as the fans. . .

rcsodak
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
had he not injured his hammy at the combine and ran the slow 40, he was projected as a 1st rounder. W. Williams, when asked who Cals best players were, named Best and other O players...and Syd as the ONLY D player. He was their shutdown cb.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums