PDA

View Full Version : Broncos won't rush back walking wounded

Lonestar
08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Broncos won't rush back walking wounded
By Anthony Cotton
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/31/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos tight end Daniel Graham (Denver Post file photo)
There is a distinction Daniel Graham makes, one that won't necessarily bring panic-stricken Broncos fans down from the ledge when it comes to wondering when some of the team's mainstays may be returning to the field, but an idea that makes perfect sense when placed in context.

"There's not a lot of time left in the preseason," the veteran tight end said shortly after Denver's 34-17 victory Sunday over Pittsburgh. "But we've got the whole season to play."

Odds are that even if Graham, Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Knowshon Moreno or any other of the Broncos' walking wounded were to make it onto the field for Thursday's preseason finale against Minnesota, it would be only a cameo appearance at best. The real objective is to be as close to full strength as possible 10 days later, when the team meets Jacksonville in Week 1 of the NFL's 16-game marathon.

Of course, the NFL's version of going the distance is far more complex — and violent — than a simple jog through the park. And there's no question that preparing one's body for the associated rigors, even in meaningless preseason games, is a plus. But, as both Graham, who's nursing rib injuries suffered in a brief appearance against Cincinnati this month, and that noted scatback Willie Shakespeare have said, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

"We can only control what we can control. That's the hard part about it, but the fact that we can't put them out there — or at least we haven't been able to put them out there — is something that we didn't have any say on," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Again, we're getting ready for the fourth preseason game this week, and if they can play, they're going to play. There's no question about that. We've played them last year in the fourth preseason game, and that would be our plan going forward right now as we go into Minnesota.

"We mentioned earlier — (running back Correll) Buckhalter, Moreno if they can get hit, get banged around a little bit there, I think that's big for them before we go into the first game of the regular season."
LenDale White would certainly agree. Hobbled with a sore hamstring shortly after he signed with the Broncos and facing a league-mandated four-game suspension at the start of the season, the hometown product may have been wondering when and if he would get on a field again. But on Sunday, the running back showed some potential value in an area that was deficient for the Broncos a year ago, bulling his way into the end zone for a 2-yard score then flashing the crowd his own version of the Mile High salute.

"That was great to be able to do that," White said. "It's always good for the guys who are going to play; it's good for them just to get some reps. Even if it's just one, two or three, whatever, it's good because there's nothing that you can simulate in practice. You can't simulate Troy Polamalu coming through the A gap or the C gap.

"It's good to see it and get your reaction time up. Most of all, it's good just to be out there playing football."

That is a feeling that Brandon Stokley can relate to. Slowed by a pulled groin, the wide receiver is in a different position from most other injured players. Bailey knows he'll be on the field when he's ready; the same for Dawkins and offensive tackle Ryan Clady. But as good and consistent as he has been during a 12-year career, Stokley is likely in a battle just to make the team.

But while that's something that wouldn't catch Stokley by surprise, he also knows that at present, there isn't anything he can do about it.

"It's frustrating, because you need to be out there getting ready, but the injury that I have, you can't rush it," Stokley said. "When it's ready to go, I'll be out there. It's too early to say anything about Thursday. It's just day to day."

And as for the NFL adage that you can't make the team from the training table . . .

"I have no idea what (the Broncos' coaches) are thinking," Stokley said. "I'm just trying to concern myself with getting better. All that other stuff will work itself out. When I get better, whatever happens will happen."

Anthony Cotton: 303-954-1292 or acotton@denverpost.com

Read more: Broncos won't rush back walking wounded - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15945641?source=rss#ixzz0yDIUfKLJ

There is a another chart at the bottom of the page that gives more info on who is doing what.