PDA

View Full Version : Formation deception

Denver Native (Carol)
08-31-2010, 12:53 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/31/formation-deception/4876/

During the Broncos’ game-opening touchdown drive Sunday against the Steelers, the offense benefitted from some play-calling subterfuge by coach Josh McDaniels.

The first trick came on second play. It was second-and-9 and McDaniels sent in two backs (Spencer Larsen and LenDale White), two tight ends (Riar Geer and Marquez Branson) and one receiver (Eddie Royal).

A sure, running formation, yet QB Kyle Orton threw quickly to Royal for an 18-yard gain. When the Steelers were flagged for unnecessary roughness, the Broncos in one play had moved from second-and-9 at their own 41 to first-and-10 at the Steelers 26.

Later, it’s first-and-goal at the 5. Two running plays made it third-and-goal at the 2. McDaniels sent in three receivers, his top receiving tight end in Branson, and just one back in White.

With the Steelers spread out to cover the pass, Orton slipped a handoff to White, who plowed in for the score.

Passing off a run package; run off a pass package.

“”If you tell somebody you’re going to run the ball and you’re unwilling to throw it from that personnel grouping or that formation, I think that’s too much of an advantage (for the defense),” McDaniels said. “”It’s hard enough as it is to move the ball on a good defense. If they know that 95 percent of the time you’re going to run it from this formation or this grouping, and they can play it the right away, now it’s even harder.”

I’m not usually a break-it-down guy but I’ve been contaminated by Pat Kirwan’s book, “Take Your Eye Off The Ball.” I didn’t want to read it. I want to follow the ball. Readers follow the ball and I write for them. The book arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago and it took me a awhile to even leaf through it.

But Kirwin, a former NFL scout, front-office personnel executive and college offensive coordinator, not only thoroughly explains the inner workings of the game from a scout’s and coach’s eyes, he makes it interesting. Warning: It’s the equivalent of baseball seamhead info. But then, I used to be a baseball seamhead.