PDA

View Full Version : Promise Delivered

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Promise-Delivered/00963ae4-0cff-48b0-b44b-3258bc9fdded

Two of the youngest members of the Broncos secondary snared interceptions Sunday night -- part of a three-pick performance that helped the team grab its first win of the preseason.

DENVER -- As he was running out of the tunnel at INVESCO Field at Mile High Sunday night, Perrish Cox got Head Coach Josh McDaniels' attention.

"I'm going to get me one today, Coach," the rookie smiled.

He did. And Andre Goodman did. And Syd'Quan Thompson did.

Cox snared the first of the Broncos' three interceptions in a 34-17 win against Pittsburgh Sunday, part of a defensive effort that held the Steelers to 52 passing yards in the first half and just 180 in the game.

"That's a group that we're real excited about," McDaniels said of the secondary. "It's a young group of corners behind two veteran players who set a great example for them. What that tells me is that they're learning, they're paying attention to (Goodman and Champ Bailey) and they're getting better every day."

Paying attention is exactly what earned Cox the first interception of his NFL career.

On second-and-5 from the Denver 9-yard line, the Steelers lined up in a formation the Broncos had practiced against several times throughout the week. Dennis Dixon rolled to his right under pressure from Robert Ayers, gave a pump fake near the sideline and seemed to throw the ball out bounds.

But Cox -- who remembered his job on similar plays during practice -- was waiting in the end zone, and he wasn't ready for the play to end.

"Once I saw it coming, my eyes got big," he said.

The rookie leaped and snatched the pass out of midair just in front of Pittsburgh tight end Matt Spaeth, who was also making a play for the ball. As he looked down, he was "a lot higher" than he thought he was, which gave him time to find the sideline and get both feet in the end zone for a toe-tapping interception.

"It was a great, great feeling," Cox said. "I didn't actually think he was going to throw my way. I was hoping that he did, and he did. I made the best out of it."

While it was Cox's practice playmaking that led to his interception, Goodman's big play came from preparation as well.

Midway through the second quarter, Dixon dropped back and fired a ball toward Emmanuel Sanders on a curl route. Goodman saw the receiver make his break and reached in to break up the pass at the last second.

Just a few minutes later, the quarterback and receiver tried the same route -- and the veteran cornerback was ready. Goodman leaped in front of the route and snared the pass, returning the interception 77 yards for a touchdown to give the Broncos a 14-point lead going into halftime.

The savvy play got McDaniels fired up, as the head coach sprinted down the sideline along with Goodman.

"I thought he was going to keep up with him, but (Goodman) took off on him a little bit," Robert Ayers laughed. "He'd probably finish in the top five in the league for coaches if they got into a footrace."

The head coach went for another sideline sprint when rookie Syd'Quan Thompson got in on the action in the fourth quarter.

After pulling to within 17-27, the Steelers were mounting a drive that had reached their own 40-yard line. Charlie Batch dropped back and fired a pass that seemingly flew right into the hands of Thompson, who sprinted toward the end zone.

At Cal, where he started 52 games, Thompson once took an interception back to the 2-yard line before falling -- but he never snared a pick-six.

With that in mind, the rookie made Sunday's interception count, finding paydirt to put the game away.

"My instincts kind of took over," he said. "I was able to get a good jump on the ball and put some points on the board for the team."

On the strength of the three turnovers, the Broncos secured their first victory of the preseason.

While the team's record in August doesn't have an effect on the standings come the regular season, as far as the Broncos are concerned, a win is always a win.

"It's preseason, people probably look at it as that, but to the players and the coaches, we just feel we need that victory," Cox said. "It feels great to get one, especially at home."